PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 3 vs West Coast Eagles

GVGjr
19-03-2024, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Two match against Gold Coast Suns for our Round Three match against the West Coast Eagles at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
24-03-2024, 04:02 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
24-03-2024, 04:48 PM
No Richards or Coffield is going to be hard. JOD & Buss not match fit. I guess Keath comes into the frame and Williams stays at HB.

Assume the MC rush Harmes back. Sounds like Macrae & Garcia played well and Lobb too.

DOG GOD
24-03-2024, 04:50 PM
No Richards or Coffield is going to be hard. JOD & Buss not match fit. I guess Keath comes into the frame and Williams stays at HB.

Assume the MC rush Harmes back. Sounds like Macrae & Garcia played well and Lobb too.

Richards will be a loss for sure.

DOG GOD
24-03-2024, 04:51 PM
Even if macrae was the sub, surely he’d offer more than Poulter.

josie
24-03-2024, 04:53 PM
Richards will be a loss for sure.

How did Cleary & Duryea go in seconds? Hoping Cleary is given a chance in seniors and makes most of it.

Garcia or Macrae sound like they were very good, but whom do they replace?

josie
24-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Even if macrae was the sub, surely he’d offer more than Poulter.

I thought he played ok, although he didn?t get a lot of it his pressure acts were better than last year. Agree he is one that might be dropped though.

Virgin-Dog
24-03-2024, 04:59 PM
VDM probably gets a week for that high bump, but good thing is Garcia got 36 touches, 7 marks, 7 tackles and kicked 2.2 so he pretty easily slots in for him.

Keath into Coffield?s role. Is it too premature to give Freijah a go in the seniors? Means we keep pace and run in the backline with Richards to miss. Otherwise Cleary

DOG GOD
24-03-2024, 05:00 PM
I thought he played ok, although he didn?t get a lot of it his pressure acts were better than last year. Agree he is one that might be dropped though.
He just fumbles too much (yes they all fumble), but he seems like a deer in head lights type players. He’s ok, but macrae is better. As long as they play Macrae where he does best, and not at HF

josie
24-03-2024, 05:10 PM
He just fumbles too much (yes they all fumble), but he seems like a deer in head lights type players. He’s ok, but macrae is better. As long as they play Macrae where he does best, and not at HF

Good points. If only one of Garcia and Macrae were to play who do you reckon should get the nod? I only watched bits of 2nd & first half of last qtr of VFL . Both looked great but Garcia was electric. Hard call by MC but with VDM possibly suspended perhaps both get the nod.

mighty_west
24-03-2024, 05:14 PM
Unfortunately we'll lose Richards but may get suspended anyway, Coff yeah that sucks.

Do we rush JOD in? would be the ideal swap for Coffield.

Out: Richards, Coffield, Poulter

In: MacRae, Garcia (wanted him in for the Suns game), if we don't risk JOD go with Duryea as WC don't have a big forward line anyway.

DOG GOD
24-03-2024, 05:15 PM
Good points. If only one of Garcia and Macrae were to play who do you reckon should get the nod? I only watched bits of 2nd & first half of last qtr of VFL . Both looked great but Garcia was electric. Hard call by MC but with VDM possibly suspended perhaps both get the nod.

I’d have macrae in the centre and sanders off the half back.

DadBod
24-03-2024, 05:18 PM
If Jones gets Darling then who gets Allen? I'm thinking Williams and that leaves Buku to Intercept. Means Bakes stays on the wing and Macca comes in for Poulter maybe. Maybe Harmes for the Sub.

azabob
24-03-2024, 05:20 PM
If Jones gets Darling then who gets Allen? I'm thinking Williams and that leaves Buku to Intercept. Means Bakes stays on the wing and Macca comes in for Poulter maybe. Maybe Harmes for the Sub.

Oscar Allen is injured for a few weeks.

azabob
24-03-2024, 05:22 PM
I’d have macrae in the centre and sanders off the half back.

Sanders struggles when he isn’t playing permanent midfield.

I fear he is a tad slow to play HB.

DOG GOD
24-03-2024, 05:22 PM
I think Oscar Allen is injured.

Let’s hope he remains injured for at least next week. Dangerous player.

azabob
24-03-2024, 05:23 PM
Let’s hope he remains injured for at least next week. Dangerous player.

He is out for a while, I double checked.

DOG GOD
24-03-2024, 05:24 PM
Sanders struggles when he isn’t playing permanent midfield.

I fear he is a tad slow to play HB.
Yeah I can see that. I more thinking he’s a fairly good kick and can possibly play a role similar to Daniel’s in that we know he can get it as well as receive it and use his good kicking skills to set up the wingers.
Whatever happens, I just hope that if Macrae is in, he’s playing the role he’s played in the VFL.

Bulldog4life
24-03-2024, 05:25 PM
He just fumbles too much (yes they all fumble), but he seems like a deer in head lights type players. He?s ok, but macrae is better. As long as they play Macrae where he does best, and not at HF

Gave me a chuckle DG.

Dry Rot
24-03-2024, 05:29 PM
Can we fit Garcia in?

Mofra
24-03-2024, 05:34 PM
Bailey Williams saved by losing 2 defenders.

JOD has to come in - Macrae in as well? Baker gets elevated into the team, not sub.

Out: Coff & Richards.

jazzadogs
24-03-2024, 05:43 PM
Out: Richards (concussion), Coffield (shoulder), Poulter (omitted)
In: Cleary, Garcia, Macrae

Backs:
Jones to Darling
Khamis to Waterman
Bramble to Cripps
JJ, Dale, Williams, Cleary

Mids:
English, Darcy rucks
Bont, Libba, Treloar, Macrae, Sanders, West/Garcia rotating through centre bounces
Baker, Gallagher, Caleb on the wings

Forwards:
Naughton, Marra as keys with resting ruck
Cody deep
VDM, West, Garcia (rotating with mids) as pressure forwards.

Garcia is the sub.

That team has more than enough to take West Coast, if they bring energy and effort. Stifle ball movement, kill it around the contest, and take our chances forward.

mighty_west
24-03-2024, 05:44 PM
He is out for a while, I double checked.

Yeah he's out for 8 weeks or so, they don't really have many tall forwards to contend with, Darling 191, Maric 196 and Waterman 192cm. with maybe one of Williams or Barnett resting up forward.

jazzadogs
24-03-2024, 05:47 PM
Side note: any chance Bont misses? He's a very durable guy but it was a bad roll of his ankle. I'd prefer we give him a week to rest if needed, than have him at 80-90% for a month.
Macrae could be a straight swap for him...

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 06:01 PM
Is JOD ready to go this week? We are going to need some cover for Richards and Coffield. Richards is a massive loss to cover.

josie
24-03-2024, 06:04 PM
Side note: any chance Bont misses? He's a very durable guy but it was a bad roll of his ankle. I'd prefer we give him a week to rest if needed, than have him at 80-90% for a month.
Macrae could be a straight swap for him...

My thoughts too.

GVGjr
24-03-2024, 06:06 PM
Is JOD ready to go this week? We are going to need some cover for Richards and Coffield. Richards is a massive loss to cover.

I think so, once he clears the protocols

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 06:28 PM
I think so, once he clears the protocols

He should come straight back in then.

kruder
24-03-2024, 06:36 PM
Poulter looked like that was his first preseason session after a long holiday, we will have a few forced but I'm not sure we can play him again after that. Westy had a tough day but I want to see him play again, we drop him too quickly after a bad performance.

I'm also not convinced JOD has done enough at AFL level to bring him straight in after basically no preseason games and now a concussion. I think we use Keath and let the kid build some fitness first.

Dry Rot
24-03-2024, 06:43 PM
How did Keath play in the VFL?

whythelongface
24-03-2024, 06:54 PM

Definitely. But in saying that I like him in defence. Think that is his best position and where he has played his best footy.

Baker cemented a wing spot today. He was excellent. His biggest issue is consistency. Brings today?s game every week and he is a huge asset

The other wing spot is up for grabs

bornadog
24-03-2024, 08:11 PM
Macrae with 47 touches is ready

Does Harmes come back in?

JOD for Coffield.

Happy Days
24-03-2024, 08:13 PM
We’ve never, in the entire 141 year history of the club, won a game that we’ve selected Harmes for. Think that speaks for itself as to his inclusion.

lemmon
24-03-2024, 08:15 PM

JOD has to come in - Macrae in as well? Baker gets elevated into the team, not sub.

Out: Coff & Richards.

I thought Williams was okay. Sacrificed his game to play above his size and help an undermanned defence - I'll take that every day of the week.

In - JOD, Macrae
Out - Coffield, Richards

Happy for Williams to slide into Richard's half back flank and Baker into the 22 for Poulter. Macrae into the midfield mix which probably means Gallagher and Caleb play more on the wing.

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 08:17 PM
We’ve never, in the entire 141 year history of the club, won a game that we’ve selected Harmes for. Think that speaks for itself as to his inclusion.
Lmfao

EasternWest
24-03-2024, 08:25 PM
Lmfao

My exact reaction. What a clown.

DadBod
24-03-2024, 08:51 PM
Thanks mate, didn't know that. Makes it even better.

GVGjr
24-03-2024, 08:54 PM
In's Duryea - O'Donnell - Macrae - Baker
Outs - Richards - Coffield - Poulter - Vandermeer

I was seated right neat the interchange and you certainly gain a different perspective listening to the discussions and seeing the medicos working on the players when they come off.

Our backline wasn't well organised today. For a good 5 minutes or more the bench was wanting Sando to come off and the ball was sort of caught in GC forward flank. As much as they yelled and held up the sign our backline should have barked out to Sanders to work his way too the bench.

This is one of the reasons why I think we need to bring in Duryea to cover the very likely loss of Richards.

JOD to replace Coffield makes a lot of sense. He clears his concussion protocols on Thursday and will no doubt do a full session on Friday to confirm his availability

Poulter didn't make a lot of impact but did push back in the 4th quarter to disrupt GC from getting a goal. Macrae can come in to lighten the workload of our main 4 mids and to ensure we don't run Sanders into the ground after his sterling effort today.

Baker shot the lights out today and deserves to start on the wing and I have some doubts if Vandermeer will be hampered for a week with his knee.

Harmes plays at Footscray for a week.

Warrnambulldog
24-03-2024, 09:26 PM
Similar thoughts Gary, except maybe Garcia instead of Duryea. If Williams is set for defense and O?Donnell is in for some height they should be more organized from the get go.

Poulter was quiet. I didn?t like Vandermeer?s fake tough guy act and not backing it up with performance. West stays but on notice, he was good last week but made some shocking errors today, we need him to be consistent.

Macrae, Baker, O?Donnell are obvious ins

jazzadogs
24-03-2024, 09:37 PM
JOD comes straight in but Macrae has to slog away in VFL for three weeks?

Williams is 1cm shorter than Coffield. We can go in with the same structure from that point of view, with Jones and Buku as the KPDs. I think JOD has to earn his spot back from Buku.

Can Caleb go back to the Richards rebounding role?

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 09:43 PM
Out : Coff, Richards

In : JOD, Macrae.

Garcia for Laith if he doesn't get up.
Williams back, Macrae wing to inside.

hujsh
24-03-2024, 09:49 PM
I know we all want Macrae to play. But it's probably doing him no favors to put him on a wing or flank. If Macrae is in someone needs to move out of the middle since that's where he'll spend most of his time. I want to know who.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 09:50 PM
JOD comes straight in but Macrae has to slog away in VFL for three weeks?

Williams is 1cm shorter than Coffield. We can go in with the same structure from that point of view, with Jones and Buku as the KPDs. I think JOD has to earn his spot back from Buku.

Can Caleb go back to the Richards rebounding role?

It is not just the rebounding, it is the intercept marking. Richards is hard for us to replace.

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 09:53 PM
I know we all want Macrae to play. But it's probably doing him no favors to put him on a wing or flank. If Macrae is in someone needs to move out of the middle since that's where he'll spend most of his time. I want to know who.
He has been rotated through wing in the past.

bornadog
24-03-2024, 09:59 PM
Out : Coff, Richards

In : JOD, Macrae.

Garcia for Laith if he doesn't get up.
Williams back, Macrae wing to inside.

Who is the sub? Maybe Poulter

Grantysghost
24-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Who is the sub? Maybe Poulter
Baker starts, yes Poulters run could be useful late

hujsh
24-03-2024, 10:35 PM
He has been rotated through wing in the past.

...successfully?

angelopetraglia
24-03-2024, 10:43 PM
Baker starts, yes Poulters run could be useful late

Does Poulter keep his spot?

westbulldog
24-03-2024, 11:05 PM
This should be plastered on every wall in the club this week as a reminder:- "Sun Aug 20 Western Bulldogs 12.13 (85) def. by West Coast 14.8 (92) 1:10pm Marvel Stadium

Scraggers
25-03-2024, 01:49 AM
After an eight goal win against (equal) ladder leaders and a team touted to play finals this year, you wouldn’t expect lots of changes. In saying that two changes have to happen with injury and concussion (Coff and Ed). I think both Harmes and Macrae come into the team as well, meaning four changes.

So … Out Richards, Coffield, Poulter, Sanders (give him a week or two off I don’t want him burning out) I'd prefer VDM but it ain’t gunna happen.
In … Macrae, Harmes, Cleary and JOD (if he doesn’t get up, Gallagher)

Bumper Bulldogs
25-03-2024, 08:04 AM
We thought this last year and they gave us a nice little touch up. This is a danger game for us as our heads could still be in the clouds. Bulldogs are not yet trustworthy

Bullies
25-03-2024, 08:44 AM
In's Duryea - O'Donnell - Macrae - Baker
Outs - Richards - Coffield - Poulter - Vandermeer

I was seated right neat the interchange and you certainly gain a different perspective listening to the discussions and seeing the medicos working on the players when they come off.

Our backline wasn't well organised today. For a good 5 minutes or more the bench was wanting Sando to come off and the ball was sort of caught in GC forward flank. As much as they yelled and held up the sign our backline should have barked out to Sanders to work his way too the bench.

This is one of the reasons why I think we need to bring in Duryea to cover the very likely loss of Richards.

JOD to replace Coffield makes a lot of sense. He clears his concussion protocols on Thursday and will no doubt do a full session on Friday to confirm his availability

Poulter didn't make a lot of impact but did push back in the 4th quarter to disrupt GC from getting a goal. Macrae can come in to lighten the workload of our main 4 mids and to ensure we don't run Sanders into the ground after his sterling effort today.

Baker shot the lights out today and deserves to start on the wing and I have some doubts if Vandermeer will be hampered for a week with his knee.

Harmes plays at Footscray for a week. Good point you make about bringing in Duryea. A lot of people don't realise the role he has down back as "the General". The guys rely on him for his voice as to when to go and when not to. He is part of the Leadership Group for a reason and when he is not playing as was the case at the end of last year the defenders lose their way. Guys like Buku and JOD learn so much of him. Watch him during a game he is forever pointing and yelling at the guys down back. By all accounts will be quickly smapped up as a coach at years end.

angelopetraglia
25-03-2024, 08:47 AM
Caleb Daniel

“It’s a challenging thing as an older player, but it’s great that there is so much depth,” Daniel said.

“When I came on I really wanted to have an impact. I just tried my guys out to do what I could for the team.

“I’m 100 per cent in on what the coaching staff is striving for and what we’re striving for as a team. The older guys have been put on notice a bit and the young guys are playing their role and playing good footy.”

The Doctor
25-03-2024, 09:32 AM
Outs: Coffield (inj) Richards (concussion) VDM (hopeless)

Ins:

Keath would have to be close to a recall. He's in good form at Footscray. He replaces Coffield. This would then enable Buku to play more as an interceptor. Williams can help in the back half as well.

Macrae, because he is a very good footballer

Garcia, has been outstanding at Footscray. His form should be rewarded.

This thing about VDM in the forward line has got to end. I'm sorry but he is probably the most ineffective small forward Ive ever seen in our jumper for the amount of opportunity he has been given. He just has no forward craft or instincts for goal. He is far better suited as a small defender or could possibly tried as a midfield tagger.

I think the calls for JOD's inclusion are a bit premature. He has had a lot of disruption recently. Think he needs a couple of weeks at Footscray to run into some form first.

Mofra
25-03-2024, 09:38 AM

Ins:

Keath would have to be close to a recall. He's in good form at Footscray. He replaces Coffield. This would then enable Buku to play more as an interceptor. Williams can help in the back half as well.

This thing about VDM in the forward line has got to end. I'm sorry but he is probably the most ineffective small forward Ive ever seen in our jumper for the amount of opportunity he has been given. He just has no forward craft or instincts for goal. He is far better suited as a small defender or could possibly tried as a midfield tagger.

I think the calls for JOD's inclusion are a bit premature. He has had a lot of disruption recently. Think he needs a couple of weeks at Footscray to run into some form first.
I doubt the coaching staff judge VDM on his offensive output when he's primarily a defensive player.

I am swayed by giving JOD a week in the VFL first given he hasn't played a full game for a few weeks.

Mofra
25-03-2024, 09:39 AM
Caleb Daniel

“It’s a challenging thing as an older player, but it’s great that there is so much depth,” Daniel said.

“When I came on I really wanted to have an impact. I just tried my guys out to do what I could for the team.

“I’m 100 per cent in on what the coaching staff is striving for and what we’re striving for as a team. The older guys have been put on notice a bit and the young guys are playing their role and playing good footy.”
Topped the distance covered by any player yesterday, so he's certainly earned his spot again.

Countrydog5
25-03-2024, 10:34 AM
I think i'd take a risk this week and rush JOD back into the side. I know given last years bed soiling against the eagles it might seem risky, but they only really have Darling and a young Maric as their key forwards, with Williams rotating through etc. If there's a team to play JOD into form coming back from an interrupted few weeks, it's the eagles. The sooner we can get him back into the team and up to AFL speed the better. I'm not sure the VFL is the place to do that for him.

GVGjr
25-03-2024, 10:57 AM
I agree Countrydog, if he trains well this week he should play. Keath is a good option as well but JOD should be ahead of him

Mantis
25-03-2024, 11:12 AM
I think i'd take a risk this week and rush JOD back into the side. I know given last years bed soiling against the eagles it might seem risky, but they only really have Darling and a young Maric as their key forwards, with Williams rotating through etc. If there's a team to play JOD into form coming back from an interrupted few weeks, it's the eagles. The sooner we can get him back into the team and up to AFL speed the better. I'm not sure the VFL is the place to do that for him.

Yep, considering we have Geelong the week after it's best to give him a run in the senior team as we will need an extra tall for Cameron & Hawkins.

MrMahatma
25-03-2024, 01:41 PM
This should be plastered on every wall in the club this week as a reminder:- "Sun Aug 20 Western Bulldogs 12.13 (85) def. by West Coast 14.8 (92) 1:10pm Marvel Stadium

Why?

I'm sure they haven't forgotten. And I've never seen an approach under Bevo that is essentially discouraging IE: "You'd better not lose this week, like you did last year". He more of an optimistic guy. "We have the chance to go 2-1 and get our season rolling. Play with the fight, skill and commitment you did last weekend and we will beat these guys".

lemmon
25-03-2024, 01:45 PM

Ins:

I like the ins, but can Garcia play forward? Seems like his best form at Footscray comes through the middle, he gets shoehorned onto a forward flank at AFL level and struggles. I like Riley, but think if he makes it, he makes it as a mid.

Danjul
25-03-2024, 01:48 PM
I agree Countrydog, if he trains well this week he should play. Keath is a good option as well but JOD should be ahead of him
Why?

In what way is he more suitable than Keath at the moment?

He has had limited competitive football (against other teams), significant injuries and the two concussions bothers me.

I read that Keath is fully fit and has consistently been playing well.

This is a must win game to put our season back on track. Anyone coming into the team must have justified their inclusion.

dukedog
25-03-2024, 02:07 PM
who ever in for whoever. But Macca has got to get a run... Been elite for a decade. had a bad year playing out of position. Give the man a crack as inside mid.

GVGjr
25-03-2024, 04:23 PM
Why?

He has had limited competitive football (against other teams), significant injuries and the two concussions bothers me.

This is a must win game to put our season back on track. Anyone coming into the team must have justified their inclusion.

He's quicker, more agile and versatile and before a couple of injuries he was also in far better form. If he trains well this week he should be good enough. I quite like Keath but I feel that JOD was performing better. I won't be upset or surprised if Keath gets the nod.

Scraggers
25-03-2024, 04:45 PM
Why?

One word ... mobility. In the (limited) time I have seen of Keath this year, he has struggled to stay with the forward. Neither Cripps, Waterman or Darling are stay-at-home forwards. All three get on their bike early. Keith doesn't have the mobility to do this.

westbulldog
25-03-2024, 05:51 PM
Why?

I'm sure they haven't forgotten. And I've never seen an approach under Bevo that is essentially discouraging IE: "You'd better not lose this week, like you did last year". He more of an optimistic guy. "We have the chance to go 2-1 and get our season rolling. Play with the fight, skill and commitment you did last weekend and we will beat these guys".

You may be right, that loss wasn't that important - it was just against a team that was barely competitive all year ridden with injuries, at their lowest ebb, it was on our home ground and it cost us a place in the finals, wasn't a bad loss at all was it, not worth remembering, history is unimportant, nothing to see here.

Danjul
25-03-2024, 06:13 PM
You may be right, that loss wasn't that important - it was just against a team that was barely competitive all year ridden with injuries, at their lowest ebb, it was on our home ground and it cost us a place in the finals, wasn't a bad loss at all was it, not worth remembering, history is unimportant, nothing to see here.
But was it a surprise? We had been getting progressively worse for some time. Strange selection calls (blunders?).

And it is still raw for some of us.

And this season? Are those failings beneath the surface?

I would rate Baker?s performance as top 5 yesterday. But he was the sub and might not have taken the field.
The week before CD was the sub and when he came on his talent was immediately obvious. He did more in30 minutes than others did in 80.

I like Gallagher but he has had 20 possessions in two weeks- less allowing for clangers.
Poulter had a shocker yesterday (cost 2 goals) and provided nothing for us. Yet Macrae can?t get a game.

Are we selecting our best team? I don?t think so.

Yesterday was a good win. Some players were very good. But we should be winning repeatedly. We were promised top four success 12 months ago. Are the selectors (ignoring talent and experience) and game plan (long bombs) guaranteeing it?

Scorlibo
25-03-2024, 08:13 PM
I don't like the idea of bringing O'Donnell in straight away. Don't think he's earned that level of trust. Pre season form is just that, and the last two weeks count for much more in my view.

Out: Vandermeer, Richards, Coffield, Poulter, Gallagher
In: Garcia, Cleary, Harmes, Baker, Macrae

Vandermeer put in a much better performance against the Suns, but still a level below the standard, and he's got his kneecap worries. I'd be throwing Garcia into the role after bashing the door down in the VFL.

Almost certainly we'll bring in Duryea to cover Richards, which wouldn't be the worst thing. Personally I'd just really like to see Cleary get a decent run at it at AFL level. It would fit with Bevo's evolution mantra, and he'd be adding creativity beyond what Duryea can bring.

I reckon Williams looked right at home when thrust into the backline and he's very much a like for like with Coffield, so I'd make that switch and allow Harmes to come back in and assume Williams' wing.

Poulter I'd demote to the sub role, with Baker getting a start after the best game of his career.

Macrae comes in for Gallagher. I like Gags and think he's got a future. Good for him to get a taste of the highest level. But Macrae will double or triple Gags' output, especially at stoppage clearances - which is one facet of the game where the Eagles bettered the Giants on the weekend.

PR0408
25-03-2024, 08:43 PM
I don't like the idea of bringing O'Donnell in straight away. Don't think he's earned that level of trust. Pre season form is just that, and the last two weeks count for much more in my view.

Out: Vandermeer, Richards, Coffield, Poulter, Gallagher
In: Garcia, Cleary, Harmes, Baker, Macrae

Vandermeer put in a much better performance against the Suns, but still a level below the standard, and he's got his kneecap worries. I'd be throwing Garcia into the role after bashing the door down in the VFL.

Almost certainly we'll bring in Duryea to cover Richards, which wouldn't be the worst thing. Personally I'd just really like to see Cleary get a decent run at it at AFL level. It would fit with Bevo's evolution mantra, and he'd be adding creativity beyond what Duryea can bring.

I reckon Williams looked right at home when thrust into the backline and he's very much a like for like with Coffield, so I'd make that switch and allow Harmes to come back in and assume Williams' wing.

Poulter I'd demote to the sub role, with Baker getting a start after the best game of his career.

Macrae comes in for Gallagher. I like Gags and think he's got a future. Good for him to get a taste of the highest level. But Macrae will double or triple Gags' output, especially at stoppage clearances - which is one facet of the game where the Eagles bettered the Giants on the weekend.

VDM was very good. Not a high possession role. His pressure and intent is very good. I wouldn?t replace him with Garcia.
Garcia and Macrae in for gags and poulter. Keath & Doc for Richards & Coffield.
Baker probably deserves to be in to the 22 and maybe Garcia Sub.
JOD & Harmes back through VFL.
Let?s pick the team based on form.

bornadog
25-03-2024, 08:45 PM
VDM was very good. Not a high possession role. His pressure and intent is very good. I wouldn?t replace him with Garcia.
Garcia and Macrae in for gags and poulter. Keath & Doc for Richards & Coffield.
Baker probably deserves to be in to the 22 and maybe Garcia Sub.
JOD & Harmes back through VFL.
Let?s pick the team based on form.

You would drop Gags? I thought he played well on Sunday.

PR0408
25-03-2024, 08:49 PM
It?s a tough call I agree. He hasn?t done anything wrong, however just looks a step behind and a little unsure at times. He could go back and play some good vfl footy and build his confidence and belief.
Also not a bad idea if he plays against eagles.

Danjul
25-03-2024, 10:15 PM
Gallagher got 10 possessions in each game, did some nice things in each. (In the vfl finals last year he got similar figures). Some of them were clangers. Was his good output enough? Was West treated so leniently?

He is still developing so the question is: where should he do it?

Wherever he plays Macrae will get twice as much of the footy and his experience means the team will benefit significantly more.

Developing players need exposure to the afl standard. He has had that. I suggest that we collapsed last season because we followed similar ideas to what are being raised now.

Ozza
25-03-2024, 11:37 PM
Outs: Coffield, Richards, Vandermeer
In: Duryea (surely plays if both Ed and Coff are out). Eagles don't have talls, no need to go big.
Macrae
Harmes

Baker in 22. Poulter sub.

Backs being; Doc, Jones, Buku, JJ, Dale, Bramble - Bailey Williams or Caleb Daniel as the 7th.

Vred
26-03-2024, 07:05 AM
No way anyone could take Bevo seriously if he bought JOD straight back in after no pre-season games/fitness when all we've been hearing out of the club is ''only the fittest get picked'' - I'd suspect JOD will need to see at least 2 VFL games before being considered.

For me its pretty simple, considering WCE forward line, I'd move B. Williams back, Baker to Williams wing, and bring in Duryea to cover Richards.

Getting Macca' in is a bit harder, but if I had to pick it would be VDM out, I don't envy our selection committee this week.

Sub is up for picking, but I'd seriously consider Garcia.

azabob
26-03-2024, 08:46 AM
I can’t see Macrae getting a game this week unless VDM is out injured and even then I’m not so sure.

Bevo backed the boys in when they shit the bed, surely he has to back them in when they execute the plan?

Jasper
26-03-2024, 08:56 AM
No way anyone could take Bevo seriously if he bought JOD straight back in after no pre-season games/fitness when all we've been hearing out of the club is ''only the fittest get picked'' - I'd suspect JOD will need to see at least 2 VFL games before being considered.

For me its pretty simple, considering WCE forward line, I'd move B. Williams back, Baker to Williams wing, and bring in Duryea to cover Richards.

Getting Macca' in is a bit harder, but if I had to pick it would be VDM out, I don't envy our selection committee this week.

Sub is up for picking, but I'd seriously consider Garcia.

Isn't the extent of the injuries the deciding factor? Based on some of the reports shared here the likes of Macrae with hamstring missed a number of sessions and was on a bike whereas the Vandermeer with his concussion was able to avoid the contract drills but still do the work with running and maintaining his match readiness?
Our medicos seem to be on the more conservative level with their approach and perhaps O'Donnell needs a week or two but I wouldn't be linking Bevo summer wish list over summer to if O'Donnell is picked or not.

Out - Richards, Coffield, Vandermeer and Poulter
In - Cleary, Keath, Macrae and Baker

meenies
26-03-2024, 11:04 AM
out Coffield, Richards
in Baker, Harmes
sub MacRae
Garcia stiff but hope keeps it up

MrMahatma
26-03-2024, 11:09 AM
Isn't the extent of the injuries the deciding factor? Based on some of the reports shared here the likes of Macrae with hamstring missed a number of sessions and was on a bike whereas the Vandermeer with his concussion was able to avoid the contract drills but still do the work with running and maintaining his match readiness?
Our medicos seem to be on the more conservative level with their approach and perhaps O'Donnell needs a week or two but I wouldn't be linking Bevo summer wish list over summer to if O'Donnell is picked or not.

Out - Richards, Coffield, Vandermeer and Poulter
In - Cleary, Keath, Macrae and Baker

Nevermind the fact that Jacko has had 12(?...I dunno) pre-seasons where as JOD has had 1. If either could come in off a bit of a layoff and not be "unfit" it's Jacko.

Also, nevermind the fact that one has been a multiple AA and the other has played a handful of OK games.

I'm not against JOD coming in, but I'm also not the one saying "fittest and most ready." JOD surely isn't ready to just walk in, so it would be quite the shift in policy.

Jeanette54
26-03-2024, 11:18 AM
IMHO Macrae must play, bring Jack back !

bornadog
26-03-2024, 11:31 AM
Nevermind the fact that Jacko has had 12(?...I dunno) pre-seasons where as JOD has had 1. If either could come in off a bit of a layoff and not be "unfit" it's Jacko.

Also, nevermind the fact that one has been a multiple AA and the other has played a handful of OK games.

I'm not against JOD coming in, but I'm also not the one saying "fittest and most ready." JOD surely isn't ready to just walk in, so it would be quite the shift in policy.

We need JOD to find form as Geelong is next.

The Doctor
26-03-2024, 11:59 AM
I like the ins, but can Garcia play forward? Seems like his best form at Footscray comes through the middle, he gets shoehorned onto a forward flank at AFL level and struggles. I like Riley, but think if he makes it, he makes it as a mid.

This is the challenge for the MC. It would be just like us to select him and play him as a small forward for a week or two then drop him if it doesn't work immediately. He needs to be played midfield. I think they'll pick Jack ahead of him for a midfield spot. If they pick Harmes ahead of Garcia that will be an injustice.

Critter
26-03-2024, 12:01 PM
The loss of Coffield makes it important that we bring in JOD at the earliest opportunity to meet the coming challenges of taller forward lines. His pre-season form was streets ahead of Alex Keath and concussion aside, he is super fit.

I'm thinking:
Out: Richards Coffield Poulter
In: JOD Macrae Garcia

Garcia as sub.

Were it up to me, I'd drop VDM for Harmes also as I don't not rate VDM in any way. But he has Beveridge's eye so for me, Harmes plays in the VFL.

bornadog
26-03-2024, 12:25 PM
The loss of Coffield makes it important that we bring in JOD at the earliest opportunity to meet the coming challenges of taller forward lines. His pre-season form was streets ahead of Alex Keath and concussion aside, he is super fit.

I'm thinking:
Out: Richards Coffield Poulter
In: JOD Macrae Garcia

Garcia as sub.

Were it up to me, I'd drop VDM for Harmes also as I don't not rate VDM in any way. But he has Beveridge's eye so for me, Harmes plays in the VFL.

I would go the same.

macca
26-03-2024, 12:54 PM
If Garcia is ready and worthy I would play him ahead of MacRae. We need to get games into him.

Sadly, I wish we could include MacRae, but competition for spots is a good thing.

Mofra
26-03-2024, 02:30 PM
I'd legit play VDM ahead of Harmes.
We need a guy who is predominantly defensive which is what VDM is.

Rocco Jones
26-03-2024, 05:20 PM
Coff and Ed out. I think there's not much of a reason to keep Doc on the list if he doesn't play this week. I'm another one pro playing JOD (if concussion is okay) perhaps a week earlier in preparation for the games coming up. Not like the options are great anyway.

I don't rate Vanders but if you are going to play him last week, I don't think you should drop him now (unless knee is an issue). He is there for defensive pressure it seems and was alright vs Suns. I'd not play him but I'd never play.

Poulter struggled and seems like Macrae will be back in.

Gags we are getting games into and I'd say his game was 'okay for a kid' level. Maybe sub and Baker starts?

I'd like to see Garcia in but don't think there's a spot for him unless someone doesn't pull up or we are a bit harsh with a selection call. Harmes might get that spot anyway if it opens up.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2024, 06:21 PM
Out: Coffield and Richards

In: JOD and Macrae

Baker to play and Poulter to be the sub.

Williams goes back with JOD to cover our injuries. Baker takes the wing rotations and we need to find a way to get Macrae time inside the contest. Not sure how we balance it, but we must.

Hotdog60
26-03-2024, 09:14 PM
Buku played well on the weekend and with Coff going down could be a blessing for him.

bornadog
26-03-2024, 11:38 PM
Out: Coffield and Richards

In: JOD and Macrae

Baker to play and Poulter to be the sub.

Williams goes back with JOD to cover our injuries. Baker takes the wing rotations and we need to find a way to get Macrae time inside the contest. Not sure how we balance it, but we must.

Most likely changes

AshMac
27-03-2024, 07:54 AM
We need JOD to find form as Geelong is next.

Same logic for Macrae imo

chef
28-03-2024, 07:29 PM
In: T.Duryea, R.Garcia, R.Lobb, J.Macrae, J.O'Donnell
Out: N.Coffield (shoulder), E.Richards (concussion)

Axe Man
28-03-2024, 07:30 PM
In: T.Duryea, R.Garcia, R.Lobb, J.Macrae, J.O'Donnell
Out: N.Coffield (shoulder), E.Richards (concussion)

No surprises. Baker into the starting 18, all the ins on the extended bench along with Daniel, Darcy & Poulter.

Daniel and Darcy should be locks, who takes the final 2 spots and sub?

GVGjr
28-03-2024, 07:55 PM
No surprises. Baker into the starting 18, all the ins on the extended bench along with Daniel, Darcy & Poulter.

Daniel and Darcy should be locks, who takes the final 2 spots and sub?

I'd go with JOD, Macrae and Garcia (Sub)

GVGjr
28-03-2024, 08:06 PM
Is anyone really surprised that Harmes hasn't been rushed back in?

ledge
28-03-2024, 08:16 PM
I can’t see JOD playing as he missed last week, the Selection table is getting hard now, which is what we want, hard to keep Garcia and Macrae out.
Glad I am not a selector.

azabob
28-03-2024, 08:21 PM

Not only that, not in the 26. Interesting observation GVGjr

GVGjr
28-03-2024, 08:23 PM
I can’t see JOD playing as he missed last week, the Selection table is getting hard now, which is what we want, hard to keep Garcia and Macrae out.
Glad I am not a selector.

You might be right with JOD but then why would the MC name him rather than say Keath?
Would we go into the game with just 2 key defenders and one of them at about 190cm?
If JOD trains well tomorrow he has to be a good chance to be selected.

EasternWest
28-03-2024, 08:24 PM

Happy Days is crying with delight

ledge
28-03-2024, 08:31 PM
I like Harmes, but I guess if the way we pick our team is in form this year not sure we could get him in going on others form.

jeemak
28-03-2024, 08:55 PM
Play terribly, miss a game, I guess it makes sense that you work your way back into the team.

Happy Days
28-03-2024, 09:09 PM
Bro played like shit and headbutted someone within 90 minutes of officially becoming a Bulldogs player. I’d hope he’s made to take the scenic route back.

mighty_west
28-03-2024, 09:15 PM

Not really, didn't offer much (had many teams mates too) in round 1, not sure he's best 22 unless maybe a tagging role in which we don't play one although Libba played very close to Rowell on the weekend.

Scorlibo
28-03-2024, 09:23 PM
You might be right with JOD but then why would the MC name him rather than say Keath?
Would we go into the game with just 2 key defenders and one of them at about 190cm?

That's what we've done in the first two games against better opposition (unless you're counting Coffield as a key), so I could see it happening again. Personally would like to see some height added, Khamis will be left exposed sooner or later.

jeemak
28-03-2024, 10:27 PM
Bro played like shit and headbutted someone within 90 minutes of officially becoming a Bulldogs player. I’d hope he’s made to take the scenic route back.

I'm tipping your definition of the scenic route isn't the Dandenong Tourist road, and resembles something more like a full exploration of the Princes Highway on foot.

Happy Days
28-03-2024, 11:09 PM
I'm tipping your definition of the scenic route isn't the Dandenong Tourist road, and resembles something more like a full exploration of the Princes Highway on foot.

There’s a lot to stop and check out on that highway too.

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:51 PM
I'd go with JOD, Macrae and Garcia (Sub)

That is what I would like to see

jazzadogs
29-03-2024, 09:43 AM

If he walks to Perth by the 27th April, I would CONSIDER him for our game against Freo.

He performed exactly at the level of expectation. Utter shite.

bornadog
29-03-2024, 10:52 AM
Bevos presser

Main training today
Duryea likely and macrae will play
Jamarra 50-50 to play
JOD Unlikely

angelopetraglia
29-03-2024, 10:59 AM
Bevo

Macrae in. Doc likely. Marra 50/50.

angelopetraglia
29-03-2024, 10:59 AM
Bevos presser

Main training today
Duryea likely and macrae will play
Jamarra 50-50 to play
JOD Unlikely

Snap

jazzadogs
29-03-2024, 11:01 AM
If Marra is out then you would assume Lobb comes in. Have we played with the Naughton/Lobb/Darcy mix before?

GVGjr
29-03-2024, 11:21 AM
Poulter will likely play. JOD not on the track.
Lobb training with the Bulldog Footscray boys
Duryea in

hujsh
29-03-2024, 11:47 AM
If Marra is out then you would assume Lobb comes in. Have we played with the Naughton/Lobb/Darcy mix before?

I think only as part of the 4 headed monster

bornadog
29-03-2024, 06:13 PM
Final team

B: Bailey Dale, Liam Jones, Bailey Williams
HB: Lachie Bramble Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Oskar Baker, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Ryley Sanders, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Laitham Vandermeer

FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore

INT: Sam Darcy, Caleb Poulter, Jack Macrae, Taylor Duryea, Caleb Daniel

EMG: Riley Garcia, Rory Lobb, James O?Donnell,

In: Macrae, Duryea
Out: Coffield (shoulder), Richards (concussion)

hujsh
29-03-2024, 06:26 PM
Hopefully Poulter is the sub. He was pretty poopy on the weekend by my eye

bornadog
29-03-2024, 06:29 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ0VQtlbgAE18cs?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
29-03-2024, 06:30 PM

Agree, he was very rusty last week.

Waterman at CHF is only 192cm, so match ups look ok

Happy Days
30-03-2024, 01:01 AM
Final team

B: Bailey Dale, Liam Jones, Bailey Williams
HB: Lachie Bramble Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Oskar Baker, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
HF: Ryley Sanders, Aaron Naughton, Cody Weightman
F: Rhylee West, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Laitham Vandermeer

FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore

INT: Sam Darcy, Caleb Poulter, Jack Macrae, Taylor Duryea, Caleb Daniel

EMG: Riley Garcia, Rory Lobb, James O?Donnell,

In: Macrae, Duryea
Out: Coffield (shoulder), Richards (concussion)

We’re so back

G-Mo77
30-03-2024, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't go that far but didn't think he was that great. My candidate for sub this week as well.

I hate the sub rule, these players play their guts out at lower level, get a call and wait for someone to get injured or the 4th quarter.

D Mitchell
30-03-2024, 10:47 AM
I hate the sub rule, these players play their guts out at lower level, get a call and wait for someone to get injured or the 4th quarter.

Pre 1978 there were 2 subs (19th and 20th men) and no interchanges. Absent injuries, as often as not, only one would get a run in the Q4. You'd have really hated that.

G-Mo77
30-03-2024, 11:46 AM
Pre 1978 there were 2 subs (19th and 20th men) and no interchanges. Absent injuries, as often as not, only one would get a run in the Q4. You'd have really hated that.

Absolutely. Hahaha.

Mofra
30-03-2024, 07:57 PM
All 3 emergencies played today.
Poulter is probably a little lucky to hold his spot. I suppose Truck goes back so there's one less candidate to take wing rotations.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-03-2024, 10:27 AM
Looks like a great Bulldogs day with the team lineup this week. Cant see West Coke coming close