PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 5 vs Essendon

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:09 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Four match against Geelong for our Round Five match against Essendon at Marvel on Friday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
06-04-2024, 11:26 PM
Bump

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2024, 12:05 AM
Out - VDM and Daniel
In - Arty/Clarke and Garcia

hujsh
07-04-2024, 12:18 AM
Out - VDM and Daniel
In - Arty/Clarke and Garcia

I'm indifferent on VDM and who takes the pressure forward role but my lord Daniel looks slow as hell nowdays. Did everyone catch on that you can pressure him and not just let him dance in place for a while until he finds a kick he likes? Or has he actually lost a yard or some agility?

Garcia with his pace would be a better fit for...whatever role it is we have him doing.

meenies
07-04-2024, 12:22 AM
Nothing to lose playing Garcia and Clarke/Artie to replace Daniel and Macrae

Bullies
07-04-2024, 12:28 AM
I'm indifferent on VDM and who takes the pressure forward role but my lord Daniel looks slow as hell nowdays. Did everyone catch on that you can pressure him and not just let him dance in place for a while until he finds a kick he likes? Or has he actually lost a yard or some agility?

Garcia with his pace would be a better fit for...whatever role it is we have him doing. I'm so over VDM and his role as a pressure forward. His skill level when he eventually gets the ball is ordinary to say the least. If you want a pressure forward who can tackle get someone from Melbourne Storm.

jazzadogs
07-04-2024, 12:38 AM
I'm so over VDM and his role as a pressure forward. His skill level when he eventually gets the ball is ordinary to say the least. If you want a pressure forward who can tackle get someone from Melbourne Storm.

But if Laith isn't playing who will we have doing zoomies while his opponents stand still and move the ball around him?

Hotdog60
07-04-2024, 12:39 AM
I mentioned it in the game day thread swap Dale and VDM.
Garcia in for Daniel
Macrae for Treloar.

josie
07-04-2024, 12:53 AM
Garcia in for Daniel
Macrae for Treloar.

Is Treloar injured? I thought he played well tonight.

Hotdog60
07-04-2024, 12:56 AM
No he's not injured just not a fan on his pressure acts which I think are not much.
Although he's stats look good I would prefer a harder edge.

josie
07-04-2024, 12:57 AM
No he's not injured just not a fan on his pressure acts which I think are not much.
Although he's stats look good I would prefer a harder edge.

Thanks for clarification.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2024, 01:00 AM
Garcia in for Daniel
Macrae for Treloar.

Wow. That is harsh on Ads. He had 10 coaches votes last week. This week he gets 37 touches and kicks the goal to get us back in the game. Five tackles too.

Hotdog60
07-04-2024, 01:03 AM
Wow. That is harsh on Ads. He had 10 coaches votes last week. This week he gets 37 touches and kicks the goal to get us back in the game. Five tackles too.

Maybe it is but he frustrates me more than the other midfielders But that's just me.

mighty_west
07-04-2024, 01:03 AM
Out : VDM
In : Garcia

Bigdog
07-04-2024, 01:12 AM
In:
Macrae
Garcia

Out:
Sanders - I?d probably give him a rest as a young player. No VFL footy - I don?t want him to burn out as the year progresses
Daniel

We need to find a way to get JOD in while playing Buku.

Pottz
07-04-2024, 09:18 AM
But if Laith isn't playing who will we have doing zoomies while his opponents stand still and move the ball around him?
He reminds me of a kid driving a dodgem car. One speed only, over which he has no control, bounces off one obstacle after another while the operator stands calmly in the middle watching him with bemusement.

jazzadogs
07-04-2024, 09:22 AM
He reminds me of a kid driving a dodgem car. One speed only, over which he has no control, bounces off one obstacle after another while the operator stands calmly in the middle watching him with bemusement.

But the operator is Zach Guthrie.

westbulldog
07-04-2024, 10:22 AM

Hotdog60 is very harsh on Treloar imo, of 19 woofers who have voted 9 have Treloar in their votes, I'll take a game of 37 possessions, a goal, 5 tackles and 6 clearances anytime.

G-Mo77
07-04-2024, 10:38 AM
Hotdog60 is very harsh on Treloar imo, of 19 woofers who have voted 9 have Treloar in their votes, I'll take a game of 37 possessions, a goal, 5 tackles and 6 clearances anytime.

I did hear during the telecast or post game that he was running at 50% efficiency for the night. 37 touches and turned it over half the time.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2024, 11:20 AM
I did hear during the telecast or post game that he was running at 50% efficiency for the night. 37 touches and turned it over half the time.

He went at 60%. The exact same as Bont. Libba went at 65%.

G-Mo77
07-04-2024, 11:40 AM
He went at 60%. The exact same as Bont. Libba went at 65%.

Ok. What was their midfield running at then? It seems high but I'm so far out of the loop now I'm not sure what a pass mark is? 100 disposals at 60% just seems wasteful?

kruder
07-04-2024, 11:52 AM
Caleb Daniel won't be playing next week I think that we can guarantee, it's disappointing in a side that is lacking skill we really need more from him. Just watching Miers last night, Caleb has the ability to be that effective by foot hopefully he can find something at VFL level.

I still find it strange that a player finishes high up in the best and fairest, gets voted in the leadership ground and yet is on the outer from round 1.

jazzadogs
07-04-2024, 11:54 AM
I still think it's on the coaches not identifying a role/team balance that can utilise his skillset most effectively. I don't know what role he is meant to be playing?

Stats say Daniel had the highest average speed on the ground, both offensively and defensively.

He put on 13 pressure acts, had 11 disposals at 80% and laid 4 tackles.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2024, 12:06 PM
Ok. What was their midfield running at then? It seems high but I'm so far out of the loop now I'm not sure what a pass mark is? 100 disposals at 60% just seems wasteful?

I think a pass mark is different depending on where and how you get your possesions. But let's look at the Geelong prolific ball winners from last night.

Cameron 63%
Bowers 69%
Miers 77%
Guthrie 85%
Stewart 75%
Holmes 80%
Parfitt 47%
Dempsey 73%

Now lets do the Dogs

Treloar 60%
Libba 66%
Bont 60%
Sanders 74%
Richards 76%
Williams 83%
English 65%
Dale 69%
Baker 94%
Naughton 73%
JJ 73%
Gallagher 67%

For the match.

Dogs 71% Vs Cats 72%

So the pass mark is 70%, but probably a bit lower if you are getting a higher % of your possesions contested. Let's run with 75% for an outside player. 65% for an inside mid. 70% for inbetween. That is for last night.

However, last week we went at 81%, which shows you that Geelong brought a lot more pressure on the ball carrier versus the Eagels.

In each of our four games. Whoever has won that stat, disposal effeciency ... won the game.

Demons 76%. Dogs 73%.
Dogs 76%. Suns 68%.
Dogs 81%. Eagles 73%.
Dogs 71%. Cats 72%.

G-Mo77
07-04-2024, 12:15 PM
Thanks mate. Excellent post!

josie
07-04-2024, 12:59 PM
I think a pass mark is different depending on where and how you get your possesions. But let's look at the Geelong prolific ball winners from last night.

Cameron 63%
Bowers 69%
Miers 77%
Guthrie 85%
Stewart 75%
Holmes 80%
Parfitt 47%
Dempsey 73%

Now lets do the Dogs

Treloar 60%
Libba 66%
Bont 60%
Sanders 74%
Richards 76%
Williams 83%
English 65%
Dale 69%
Baker 94%
Naughton 73%
JJ 73%
Gallagher 67%

For the match.

Dogs 71% Vs Cats 72%

So the pass mark is 70%, but probably a bit lower if you are getting a higher % of your possesions contested. Let's run with 75% for an outside player. 65% for an inside mid. 70% for inbetween. That is for last night.

However, last week we went at 81%, which shows you that Geelong brought a lot more pressure on the ball carrier versus the Eagels.

In each of our four games. Whoever has one that stat, disposal effeciency ... won the game.

Demons 76%. Dogs 73%.
Dogs 76%. Suns 68%.
Dogs 81%. Eagles 73%.
Dogs 71%. Cats 72%.

Thanks for this Angelopetraglia - meaningful stats, great post.

Hotdog60
07-04-2024, 03:08 PM

I am being very harsh Westbulldog, I don't think I have ever seen him run flat out but that might be because of his injury history. So many times I've seen the oppo mids just run away from him at least with Libba you can see his legs moving at a hundred miles an hour but he is just not quick. Treloar seems he should be more aggressive with his running but it just looks like he is going at half pace.
Offensively I don't have a problem its just when he needs to chase but as I said it might be down to his history I just find him a frustrating player without the ball.

1eyedog
07-04-2024, 03:21 PM
I am being very harsh Westbulldog, I don't think I have ever seen him run flat out but that might be because of his injury history. So many times I've seen the oppo mids just run away from him at least with Libba you can see his legs moving at a hundred miles an hour but he is just not quick. Treloar seems he should be more aggressive with his running but it just looks like he is going at half pace.
Offensively I don't have a problem its just when he needs to chase but as I said it might be down to his history I just find him a frustrating player without the ball.

Would be leading our B&F at the moment.

Hotdog60
07-04-2024, 03:26 PM
Would be leading our B&F at the moment.

Nah! Bont has that rapped up. :)

Virgin-Dog
07-04-2024, 07:37 PM
Very close game against a very good side, so little reason to make significant change. At minimum, I?d be swapping Macrae and Daniel around, and give it another week before considering whether Garcia replaces VDM, though I think we?d miss the defensive aspect of his game which often goes underrated.

The one player I?m worried about right now is Dale. He was elite a couple years ago, and now just seems an absolute passenger. I don?t know if he?s genuinely out of form, or being asked to perform a role he isn?t suited to, but his impact is minimal these days, and he rarely puts his pace to good use.

bornadog
07-04-2024, 07:53 PM
Very close game against a very good side, so little reason to make significant change. At minimum, I?d be swapping Macrae and Daniel around, and give it another week before considering whether Garcia replaces VDM, though I think we?d miss the defensive aspect of his game which often goes underrated.

The one player I?m worried about right now is Dale. He was elite a couple years ago, and now just seems an absolute passenger. I don?t know if he?s genuinely out of form, or being asked to perform a role he isn?t suited to, but his impact is minimal these days, and he rarely puts his pace to good use.

Dale and Williams should swap positions. See how Dales goes on a wing

Danjul
07-04-2024, 08:45 PM

I don?t think Geelong is that good. They know how to win but they missed finals last year and have not been tested by quality opponents this season. They are professional, put players where their talent can be used and have a great game plan.

Talking Geelong up hides significant problems we still have to fix.

last night the dogs had the majority of the better players. But they had to work twice as hard to get a goal. And nearly won.

They should have won by 5 goals based on talent. And I am afraid that will continue.

Jeanette54
07-04-2024, 08:59 PM
Nothing to lose playing Garcia and Clarke/Artie to replace Daniel and Macrae

I have never understood the continual calls for Artie. He flashes in and out of play, IMHO but could never be relied upon for consistent contributions.

PR0408
07-04-2024, 09:31 PM
I have never understood the continual calls for Artie. He flashes in and out of play, IMHO but could never be relied upon for consistent contributions.

Right at the moment Artie needs some good consistent footy in the vfl. His confidence isn?t there and I wouldn?t be bringing him in to the afl team.
Once he has built up his confidence and then plays good footy in the vfl for 3/4 games then I?d bring him and not before.

kickit2Koly
08-04-2024, 12:03 AM
I'm so over VDM and his role as a pressure forward. His skill level when he eventually gets the ball is ordinary to say the least. If you want a pressure forward who can tackle get someone from Melbourne Storm.

would you be surprised to know VDM disposal efficiency was 79%? I was, he had 2 turnovers for the game. For comparison sake Flea went at 56% turning it over 4 times.

Rocco Jones
08-04-2024, 10:25 AM
I'd back in the same 23. I get wanting changes but I think the differences are pretty marginal either way. I thought the effort was there and the last few picked were better than we've had in losses for awhile. I'd try to improve our ability in close ones by trying to build confidence here. No VFL form to go by too. Only reason I'd make a change is if one of the last picked thing isn't as cherry ripe as a Garcia type just to add extra run/energy.

Macrae to start, Daniel to sub.

bornadog
08-04-2024, 10:30 AM
I'd back in the same 23. I get wanting changes but I think the differences are pretty marginal either way. I thought the effort was there and the last few picked were better than we've had in losses for awhile. I'd try to improve our ability in close ones by trying to build confidence here. No VFL form to go by too. Only reason I'd make a change is if one of the last picked thing isn't as cherry ripe as a Garcia type just to add extra run/energy.

I am with you Rocco. Maybe think about where Williams and Dale play but that is just moving the chess pieces. Agree on Macrae and Daniel.

Rocco Jones
08-04-2024, 10:38 AM
I am with you Rocco. Maybe think about where Williams and Dale play but that is just moving the chess pieces. Agree on Macrae and Daniel.

If Doc's form continues, I'd like to see Dale elsewhere but I've wanted that for a while. Maybe I am wrong and we just can't get the same value. I'd like JOD in and we would need to move or drop someone from the backline. If we didn't do it last week, we shouldn't do it this week as Essendon will go a fair bit smaller than Cats.

Mantis
08-04-2024, 10:48 AM

I think that's really harsh.

Garcia & Lobb have had 2 consecutive outstanding games at VFL level, and it isn't their fault no game was played on the weekend.

Whilst Darcy has contributed up forward, he is getting man-handled in the ruck and I have grave fears of how he will perform against 2 mature rucks this week.

We need an injection of speed in the middle to counter act the same-same pace of Treloar, Libba & Macrae.. the midfield mix needs to change.

azabob
08-04-2024, 11:33 AM

On Saturday night you were pretty adamant Lobb should play ahead of Darcy. One could argue Essendon's rucks are more physical and mature than Geelong's.

Are you sticking with Darcy?

Rocco Jones
08-04-2024, 11:36 AM

Garcia & Lobb have had 2 consecutive outstanding games at VFL level, and it isn't their fault no game was played on the weekend.

Whilst Darcy has contributed up forward, he is getting man-handled in the ruck and I have grave fears of how he will perform against 2 mature rucks this week.

We need an injection of speed in the middle to counter act the same-same pace of Treloar, Libba & Macrae.. the midfield mix needs to change.

Yeah sorry mate, I was unclear.

I am very happy with the VFL form of guys near the 23, just that we literally didn't have a VFL game on the weekend.

Grantysghost
08-04-2024, 11:36 AM
On Saturday night you were pretty adamant Lobb should play ahead of Darcy. One could argue Essendon's rucks are more physical and mature than Geelong's.

Here's my spine for Friday

F - Marra
F - Darcy
M - English
D - Naughton
D - Jones

Bench - Lobb.

Simples.

Rocco Jones
08-04-2024, 11:37 AM

Not trying to answer on behalf of BAD but I was concerned with Darcy playing against more mature rucks. His ability to use his go-go gadget arms has filled me with a lot more confidence there.

FWIW, I really hope Essendon go with the two rucks again.

MrMahatma
08-04-2024, 11:51 AM
I'd bring Garcia in, in place of Jacko. Maybe Garcia goes sub but maybe Daniel does.

Bevo's presser was refreshing and honest, doubling down on the "we can't keep doing the same thing" line. If we want to reward VFL form, and we want to inject a different look into our mids, Garcia should come in.

Critter
08-04-2024, 11:55 AM

F - Marra
F - Darcy
M - English
D - Naughton
D - Jones

Bench - Lobb.

Simples.

If you line up with this spine, you are putting our best possible spine on the field. That would be a first... but a bloody good idea!

Rocco Jones
08-04-2024, 12:01 PM
Hearing Bevo talk about how we can't keep doing the same things, I'm going back on what I said.

I think Daniel or Macrae as sub and Garcia into the side. If Macrae plays VFL, I'd like to see him playing somewhere other than inside mid for a decent chunk of the game.

hujsh
08-04-2024, 12:07 PM
I'd bring Garcia in, in place of Jacko. Maybe Garcia goes sub but maybe Daniel does.

Bevo's presser was refreshing and honest, doubling down on the "we can't keep doing the same thing" line. If we want to reward VFL form, and we want to inject a different look into our mids, Garcia should come in.

Daniel should play VFL, get some confidence and play a specific role we intend for him to play at AFL level. Macrae is a shit sub so he either plays a full game and we spread the midfield minutes more or he plays VFL.

Out: Daniel, Dale
In: Garcia, someone to sub. Scott or Harmes I guess? Bevo won't debut someone on the bench so no Clarke and Jones could use more time in the VFL right now it seems. Though he'd be a decent option for a sub.

Macrae and Garcia both rotate through the middle. Bont, Treloar, Libba, Sanders, Macrae, Garcia. At least half of those names can play some minutes forward to some degree. If Macrae can't do what we need without spending the full game in the middle just play Harmes and have him do a defensive forward tag when he's not in the middle on their best runner behind the ball

bornadog
08-04-2024, 12:09 PM

Horses for courses. Yeah, I haven't looked at Essendon's rucks. Maybe we need to think about it.

bornadog
08-04-2024, 12:12 PM

F - Marra
F - Darcy
M - English
D - Naughton
D - Jones

Bench - Lobb.

Simples.

Is Naughton really a backman? I have concerns he hasn't played the role, or trained for the role in over 6 years.

I like his CHF role where he roams up the ground and feeds JUH :)

azabob
08-04-2024, 12:42 PM
Not trying to answer on behalf of BAD but I was concerned with Darcy playing against more mature rucks. His ability to use his go-go gadget arms has filled me with a lot more confidence there.

FWIW, I really hope Essendon go with the two rucks again.

I made mention of this in the game day thread on the night, from the couch it appeared our game plan centered around English playing back and supporting our defenders in general play and taking any ruck contest in the defensive half of the ground and Darcy would take any ruck contests in the forward half of the ground.

The stats of where both players gathered their touches actually backs up my observation.

Personally, I don't think we need to employ the same tactics against Essendon. I expect English to play a much full ground game like he did against West Coke.

IN: Garcia
OUT: Daniel

MrMahatma
08-04-2024, 12:42 PM
Is Naughton really a backman? I have concerns he hasn't played the role, or trained for the role in over 6 years.

Crazy question. Obviously after his rookie season he was a lock to be an AFL Hall of Fame/Legend/Team of the millennium CHB. The longer he doesn't play back, the more likely it is that he would be the best to have ever played in that position.

:cool:

Mantis
08-04-2024, 01:05 PM
Hearing Bevo talk about how we can't keep doing the same things, I'm going back on what I said.

I think Daniel or Macrae as sub and Garcia into the side. If Macrae plays VFL, I'd like to see him playing somewhere other than inside mid for a decent chunk of the game.

Can either of these 2 really influence the game in that (sub) role?

The game now is about quick ball movement and neither of these 2 enhance our ability to do that.

Grantysghost
08-04-2024, 01:12 PM

Me too - get him away from the goals ! He clunked a ripper late before the Williams goal on the wing.

Re defence : probably not anymore - but we could have at least trained him for it to be used as a swing man. We recruited him as a defender I guess but maybe flogging a dead horse. I'll keep whipping though !

Problem with Naughton for me - as a forward, is that he is so easily out bodied. He's not a strong one on one mark. He's great when he can run and jump at it but many times he's 5 deep trying to clunk a low percentage grab.

I think he'd thrive in the Lever role.

Danjul
08-04-2024, 01:48 PM

This has been the central component of our inability to rise above mediocrity since 2018. The finer details of the ruck are irrelevant. And all other aspects of the game are tarnished by their proximity to ruck events. The glorious start to 2021 started to crumble by July because?.. We missed the double chance because? Where did the failure in the grand final start?

Darcy will be great, so much talent. But I am sure we would have won if we had played Lobb and kept Darcy where his strengths dominate and his weaknesses are not exploited. We are running the risk of breaking him down.

SquirrelGrip
08-04-2024, 01:49 PM
I feel Jacko is now our backup midfielder if any of Bont/Libba/Treloar/Sanders have a week or more off.

The 2024 game requires energy, and Garcia needs the opportunity ahead of Macrae and Daniel right now. Caleb as sub, as he did make a great impact the other week when doing so.

We will need an extra tall defender ready to go against some of the teams, just like Fletcher Roberts came in for the key 2016 finals. JOD is leading candidate right now, so at some point he needs to replace Dale in defence, leaving Buku as third tall.

Dale needs to be able to play in another position, so whether that means going back to Footscray to develop, I'm OK with that. Work on wingcraft, then like Bailey Williams we have a backup to swing into defence if something changes mid-game. Once he's showing what's been asked of him, he's then too good not to have back in.

And if Charlie Clarke builds his fitness, then he should take VDM's spot when Laith has his next form lapse. We want forwards who can kick goals.

Plus we have Lobb and Harmes ready to go to replace if we get any forced outs.

So this week...

OUT: Macrae, Dale
IN: Garcia, JOD

With Caleb sub

Danjul
08-04-2024, 01:59 PM
Me too - get him away from the goals ! He clunked a ripper late before the Williams goal on the wing.

Re defence : probably not anymore - but we could have at least trained him for it to be used as a swing man. We recruited him as a defender I guess but maybe flogging a dead horse. I'll keep whipping though !

Problem with Naughton for me - as a forward, is that he is so easily out bodied. He's not a strong one on one mark. He's great when he can run and jump at it but many times he's 5 deep trying to clunk a low percentage grab.

I think he'd thrive in the Lever role.

Is this a problem with Naughton or for Naughton?

Game after game we see it. Either get him out of there or get two of the others (ours) out.

We lost by 4 points and Naughton was goalless. It is not working.

Critter
08-04-2024, 02:21 PM

I suggest that the very attributes and skills that likely have led you to appreciate Naughton's play in a roaming CHF role are consistent with those which will see him succeed at CHB. He has pace, is a strong mark, has physical strength, reads the flight of the ball well and is a good field kick. (The latter point has been a welcome surprise this year.) He came to us as a defender and succeeded in that role. He has defensive skills and experience. He's too young to now be suffering football dementia.

Luke Beveridge said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get a different result. Luke knows about insanity. Let's stop being insane and let's try something new at CHB. Let's stop compromising and let's load up and put our very best side on the field.

Mantis
08-04-2024, 02:23 PM
I feel Jacko is now our backup midfielder if any of Bont/Libba/Treloar/Sanders have a week or more off.

The 2024 game requires energy, and Garcia needs the opportunity ahead of Macrae and Daniel right now. Caleb as sub, as he did make a great impact the other week when doing so.

We will need an extra tall defender ready to go against some of the teams, just like Fletcher Roberts came in for the key 2016 finals. JOD is leading candidate right now, so at some point he needs to replace Dale in defence, leaving Buku as third tall.

Dale needs to be able to play in another position, so whether that means going back to Footscray to develop, I'm OK with that. Work on wingcraft, then like Bailey Williams we have a backup to swing into defence if something changes mid-game. Once he's showing what's been asked of him, he's then too good not to have back in.

And if Charlie Clarke builds his fitness, then he should take VDM's spot when Laith has his next form lapse. We want forwards who can kick goals.

Plus we have Lobb and Harmes ready to go to replace if we get any forced outs.

So this week...

With Caleb sub

Lots to like in there.

I feel we need to move pretty quickly to a team & structure that we want to have in the 2nd half of the year, and that isn't having Buku playing as our 2nd tall defender. He is doing well, but he isn't the answer against genuine talls.

Agree on the midfield change... we need some extra speed & grunt in there to help us defend the ground better. Garcia needs to be given the brief that he needs to burst from every stoppage either with the ball or without it.

hujsh
08-04-2024, 02:32 PM
So this week...

With Caleb sub

Can't believe I forgot JOD.

OUT: Daniel, Dale, Macrae
IN: Garcia, JOD, Scott/Harmes (sub)

Critter
08-04-2024, 02:47 PM
This has been the central component of our inability to rise above mediocrity since 2018. The finer details of the ruck are irrelevant. And all other aspects of the game are tarnished by their proximity to ruck events. The glorious start to 2021 started to crumble by July because?.. We missed the double chance because? Where did the failure in the grand final start?

Darcy will be great, so much talent. But I am sure we would have won if we had played Lobb and kept Darcy where his strengths dominate and his weaknesses are not exploited. We are running the risk of breaking him down.

We face a real risk this week of our Tim being monstered in the ruck. Sam Draper is a very physical ruckman, with a bit of a mean streak, and Goldie has a few tricks up his sleeve as well. I agree that Darcy is not yet physically ready for a regular role in the ruck. The midfielders will need to work super hard to stop the Essendon midfield, weak as it is, from winning centre clearances.

So, Lobb should play. Which brings me back to my hobby horse. JUH and Darcy as key forwards, Naughton and Jones as key backs and Tim and Lobby sharing the ruck.

Sedat
08-04-2024, 02:58 PM
last night the dogs had the majority of the better players. But they had to work twice as hard to get a goal. And nearly won.
Geelong had a more even spread of contributors on the night - they were comfortably better than us across 23 v 23 players.

They also have a superior match-day and tactical coach to us (and probably 17 other clubs). He might be a smug prick but is he almost without peer in the coaching ranks.

bornadog
08-04-2024, 03:06 PM
Is this a problem with Naughton or for Naughton?

Game after game we see it. Either get him out of there or get two of the others (ours) out.

We lost by 4 points and Naughton was goalless. It is not working.

Naughton didn't play deep, so he was out of there

GVGjr
08-04-2024, 07:01 PM
I want to get a look at this weeks training before making some decisions but we have some quality players at Footscray who are performing well and should be rewarded in we are struggling in some areas.

Lobb, O'Donnell and Garcia should be in the mix. Perhaps Harmes as well.
I have some doubts that Marra is fit enough (injury related) but it's encouraging to see him work his way back into games in the 2nd half. Macrae, Daniel and Dale need to have a good week on the training track.
I'll be interested to see how Weightman performs as well.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 07:16 PM
I want to get a look at this weeks training before making some decisions but we have some quality players at Footscray who are performing well and should be rewarded in we are struggling in some areas.

I have some doubts that Marra is fit enough (injury related) but it's encouraging to see him work his way back into games in the 2nd half. Macrae, Daniel and Dale need to have a good week on the training track.

A healthy list is creating some competition for spots which is a good probelm to have.

What explains the drop off in Bailey Dale? The drop off in his raw output in numbers doesn't look too bad, but to the eye he looks low on confidence, second guessing himself, fumbling, missing targets and not backing his run and carry.

GVGjr
08-04-2024, 08:15 PM
A healthy list is creating some competition for spots which is a good probelm to have.

What explains the drop off in Bailey Dale? The drop off in his raw output in numbers doesn't look too bad, but to the eye he looks low on confidence, second guessing himself, fumbling, missing targets and not backing his run and carry.

Dale had a couple of weeks in rehab which might mean he's lost some touch or confidence but what seems to have dropped off is his decision making.
Let's hope Dale can get back to his best soon.

azabob
08-04-2024, 08:18 PM
Dale had a couple of weeks in rehab which might mean he's lost some touch or confidence but what seems to have dropped off is his decision making.
Let's hope Dale can get back to his best soon.

This is a recent issue for Dale though. Last year he wasn’t at his best either.

Maybe Dale is one of these players who are comfortable after signing his most recent contract.

jeemak
08-04-2024, 08:33 PM

Maybe Jacko's lot in life as a Western Bulldog from here is being on hand for an injury or a drop in form from those in the side. Cramming him in and hoping it works out might not be fair to him.

1eyedog
08-04-2024, 08:51 PM
Garcia is a deck chair how many opportunities does he need? 23 years old and 20 odd games it's just going to be more of the same.

jeemak
08-04-2024, 08:53 PM
Garcia is a deck chair how many opportunities does he need? 23 years old and 20 odd games it's just going to be more of the same.

He's not played for ages so has only gotten better at football in lieu of that.

soupman
08-04-2024, 09:16 PM
Despite the loss I was really happy with the performance. We look to be moving the ball with more purpose and care, our defensive setup is more rigid, better aerially and capable of providing sufficient drive. Midfield mix has been good for the most part and we haven't been playing redundant mids who don't contribute much elsewhere, our small forwards are the most involved in genuinely years, all of them have been contributing both with and without the ball, our key forwards and our disposal to them has been much better and they have been getting in eachothers space a lot less.

This is the most we have gotten out of our bottom 6-7 guys in years, Gallagher, Baker, Bramble, yes Vandermeer, Darcy have all been more than handy.

I think it is a good chance that in 5 rounds time we settle into this change, we figure out how best to select a side (do we need another tall defender), and role players being given continuity where they are involved really start to excel.

I'd be looking to make minimal changes, the only guys who aren't performing what we need atm are Macrae and Daniel. One of them needs to be dropped for Garcia to be sub. I think it will be Daniel. I'm not really sure what we do with Macrae, I don't think we really have a plan for how he makes us better atm, but think he'll be given another week to figure that out. Dale is struggling a bit but he is still such a valuable line breaker coming out of defence and I'm not willing to hand that duty solely to JJ and Bramble.

jeemak
08-04-2024, 09:22 PM
Good post Soup.

kruder
08-04-2024, 10:34 PM

Marra pulled up sore look to be his knee in the first quarter if I remember correctly.

Mantis
09-04-2024, 07:22 AM

Has Garcia ever had a centre bounce attendance in any of his previous AFL games?

He?s been played solely as a small forward when it?s clear his best footy is as a midfielder, and that?s where he needs to play.

The over reliance on Libba, Bont and Treloar to be out midfield needs to end and using ?like? players to fill the void is detrimental to our performance.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2024, 07:32 AM
B: Richards, Jones, Williams
HB: JJ, JOD, Khamis
C: Baker, Treloar, Gags
HF: Sanders, Naughton, Weightman
F: Darcy, Marra, West
R: English, Bont, Libba
IC: Dale, Garcia, Duryea, Bramble
Sub: VDM

In: JOD, Garcia
Out: Daniel, Macrae

Dale to play as a marking forward / wing rather than a defender.

Mantis
09-04-2024, 07:55 AM

Dale to play as a marking forward / wing rather than a defender.

I like the team, but feel it contains one too many small/ medium sized defenders.

Maybe swap Bramble for VDM?

MrMahatma
09-04-2024, 08:51 AM
Bevo mentioned VDM is playing well in the small fwd role. He won’t be dropped to sub.

Mantis
09-04-2024, 09:09 AM
Bevo mentioned VDM is playing well in the small fwd role. He won’t be dropped to sub.

He would be leading the team in repeated sprint efforts, but are we getting much return?

In the 4 games (which includes 2 big wins) as a small forward his stats for what I see are the KPI's for this role are:

1 goal
3 goal assists
10 tackles

That isn't contributing enough from where I sit.

whythelongface
09-04-2024, 09:42 AM
He would be leading the team in repeated sprint efforts, but are we getting much return?

In the 4 games (which includes 2 big wins) as a small forward his stats for what I see are the KPI's for this role are:

1 goal
3 goal assists
10 tackles

Agree. As a small forward you need to hit the scorecard. 1 goal just isn’t enough. I get he has other attributes but really we should be asking more. Nail that on the run shot on the weekend and it could have been a different story.

angelopetraglia
09-04-2024, 09:50 AM
Treloar on his podcast said that VDM is highly valued within the four walls for the things he does for the team that don't get outside recognition. He said that the high forward role is the hardest to play in the team in regards to covering the ground, applying pressure, being in the place for the team etc. (Understand that he is going to support his teamates, but his opinion of VDM was quite high in regards to his value to the team)

It would be interesting to know what are the actual things that the coaching team are looking for. What is he being asked to do, what are they valuing.

Mantis
09-04-2024, 10:04 AM
It would be interesting to know what are the actual things that the coaching team are looking for. What is he being asked to do, what are they valuing.

Pressure acts would be high on the list.

Sure he can run fast, but does he sprinting to apply pressure lead to turnovers? I'm not sure that it does.

As wtlf mentioned Laith needs to take his chances or even 1/2 chances at goal when the opportunity arises... he doesn't really have natural forward/ crumbing instincts which limits his opportunities, but he needs to contribute to our scoring which he isn't currently doing.

Before I Die
09-04-2024, 10:46 AM
This article from the afl site may shed some light. https://www.afl.com.au/news/1100132/its-not-glamourous-footys-most-underappreciated-role/amp

Danjul
09-04-2024, 11:37 AM
This article from the afl site may shed some light. https://www.afl.com.au/news/1100132/its-not-glamourous-footys-most-underappreciated-role/amp
Even though VDM gets into a photo the article seems to be a list of what he should be doing but isn?t.

I had high expectations of him years ago but at the moment his role seems to be simply running down opponents who got the ball because of poor disposals from VDMs teammates.

or put another way, VDM is a symptom of the deeper disease.

westbulldog
09-04-2024, 12:16 PM
Treloar sees things in VDM that 99% of our 50,415 members do not see.

Happy Days
09-04-2024, 12:17 PM
VDM career best game like 9 days ago btw.

Mantis
09-04-2024, 12:21 PM
VDM career best game like 9 days ago btw.

If we got to play WC every week (who have won 5 of their last 52 games) I'm sure we wouldn't be questioning his output... unfortunately we aren't afforded that luxury.

angelopetraglia
09-04-2024, 12:21 PM
Treloar sees things in VDM that 99% of our 50,415 members do not see.

Agree. But Treloar has an internal insight and experience that 99.9% of our members don't have.

hujsh
09-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Tom Boyd shares that vision of VDM as well you may remember. I think Adam is not lying when he says he's highly rated internally for things we don't really see/notice

1eyedog
09-04-2024, 12:37 PM
Has Garcia ever had a centre bounce attendance in any of his previous AFL games?

He?s been played solely as a small forward when it?s clear his best footy is as a midfielder, and that?s where he needs to play.

The over reliance on Libba, Bont and Treloar to be out midfield needs to end and using ?like? players to fill the void is detrimental to our performance.

I don't know but given the depth of our midfield over the past four years I would say likely not and my opinion is thank goodness he hasn't. He panics, turns the ball over by making incorrect decisions and fumbles the ball. He also gives away too many free kicks through careless acts. You can read it right here everytime he plays and that's why he's a revolving door with the MC.

He's one of those many players who dominates.at VFL level but is incapa⁵ble of stepping up. I'm being harsh but I believe it's true.

I'd bring in Harmes before Garcia it's why we drafted him.

mjp
09-04-2024, 12:43 PM
I don't know but given the depth of our midfield over the past four years I would say likely not and my opinion is thank goodness he hasn't. He panics, turns the ball over by making incorrect decisions and fumbles the ball. He also gives away too many free kicks through careless acts. You can read it right here everytime he plays and that's why he's a revolving door with the MC.

He's one of those many players who dominates.at VFL level but is incapa⁵ble of stepping up. I'm being harsh but I believe it's true.

I'm not saying your wrong but those are typical behaviours of a player who feels they are on a selection knife edge...

Mofra
09-04-2024, 12:52 PM

1 goal
3 goal assists
10 tackles

I really feel his role is far more defensive than offensive so it's the repeat running efforts he's being judged on.
If he goes out, we need to find someone who plays the same way and I can really only see Arty as a like for like.

Essendon are without Perkins, Ridley (their best interceptor) and Wright. We are perhaps naming one defender too much but I can't see us making changes this week, especially to bring in a KPD against an undersized forward line.

If anything, I'd rotate Bont forward a little more and give Macrae more CBA time.

Bullies
09-04-2024, 12:54 PM
Agree. As a small forward you need to hit the scorecard. 1 goal just isn’t enough. I get he has other attributes but really we should be asking more. Nail that on the run shot on the weekend and it could have been a different story. As a small forward getting minimal ball you need to have a great goal sense when you do get the ball. It staggers me VDM plays as a small forward and yet has a low football IQ with minimal skills. It is the reason when we knew we wouldn't get Watson we should have gone for Ginninvan.

Mofra
09-04-2024, 12:55 PM

I'm still not sold on Harmes and it's looking like a list management mistake. Happy to be proven wrong.

If we're talking about frees given away, VDM gives away on average, 0.75 free kicks per game. Equal 16th. Harmes in his one game gave away 3.

Grantysghost
09-04-2024, 12:55 PM

Agree- I think we have kind of realised this with Weightman and Gallagher attending some stoppages. Need more though.

Mofra
09-04-2024, 12:56 PM
As a small forward getting minimal ball you need to have a great goal sense when you do get the ball. It staggers me VDM plays as a small forward and yet has a low football IQ with minimal skills. It is the reason when we knew we wouldn't get Watson we should have gone for Ginninvan.
IIRC we did chance Schultz from Freo (now Pies)

Grantysghost
09-04-2024, 01:17 PM

Not sure about this 1ED. He's struggled with continuity due to injury.

I really like Sonny and think he can make it as a good role playing midfielder who defends and goes forward.

Either way, the form he is in at the moment warrants selection.

bornadog
09-04-2024, 05:30 PM
we should have gone for Ginninvan.

Totally agree

I'm still not sold on Harmes and it's looking like a list management mistake. .

I wondered why we chased him?

I really like Sonny and think he can make it as a good role playing midfielder who defends and goes forward.

I am not writing him off, but if he doesn't play this year, he is delist material

Pleather Sole
09-04-2024, 06:38 PM

Dale to play as a marking forward / wing rather than a defender. Yes please! At least try it a couple of games.

I'm with you except for VDM. I reckon he needs time at vfl to practise goalkicking.
I'd have Daniel as sub, he may have slowed but he can play just about anywhere and fresher with less game time.
Or, I'd debut Charlie and have Garcia as sub. Actually scrub that. I wouldn't bring in Clarke after a vfl bye.
I don't know what to do with Jack. He's too good for the twos but doesn't fit in the ones atm. Its weird & feels off.

Virgin-Dog
09-04-2024, 11:35 PM
I'm still not sold on Harmes and it's looking like a list management mistake. Happy to be proven wrong.

If we're talking about frees given away, VDM gives away on average, 0.75 free kicks per game. Equal 16th. Harmes in his one game gave away 3.
I think this is premature to write Harmes off. He?s had one game in the seniors (albeit a stinker) and therefore minimal chance to find his feet.
I think spending all these weeks in the VFL will have him coming back a ?better? player.

Him or Garcia (preferably the latter) should be getting a game as soon as any of our mids is injured or out of form, and given Daniel?s efforts against Geelong that may be sooner rather than later

ratsmac
10-04-2024, 08:35 AM
Barring any injuries, I'd go no change. Macrae as a sub was a mistake. Macrae is a workhorse. He runs his opponent into the ground with his workmate. He has never been quick but he has a nice step to evade. Coming on as a sub doesn't suit him to be able to impact a game. Start him on the bench and have him in the mids rotation.

Daniel also deserves more time. He didn't have much of an impact against the cats and should've been subbed earlier but we need him. The thing is we need him playing well. He is our Miers. Actually Miers is the cats Caleb Daniel who takes the dangerous kicks that cuts through defensive zones that open up the play, Caleb Daniel just hasn't been himself that we know he can be.

For me both Macrae and Daniel have earned the right to have another week to prove that they still hold value to the team.

If there has to be a change, it's Harmes to tag Merret. His sole job to bang into Merret at every contest and make his night miserable.

No change

Or

In - Harmes
Out - Bramble/Gallagher

Mantis
10-04-2024, 09:15 AM
Barring any injuries, I'd go no change. Macrae as a sub was a mistake. Macrae is a workhorse. He runs his opponent into the ground with his workmate. He has never been quick but he has a nice step to evade. Coming on as a sub doesn't suit him to be able to impact a game. Start him on the bench and have him in the mids rotation.

Daniel also deserves more time. He didn't have much of an impact against the cats and should've been subbed earlier but we need him. The thing is we need him playing well. He is our Miers. Actually Miers is the cats Caleb Daniel who takes the dangerous kicks that cuts through defensive zones that open up the play, Caleb Daniel just hasn't been himself that we know he can be.

For me both Macrae and Daniel have earned the right to have another week to prove that they still hold value to the team.

If there has to be a change, it's Harmes to tag Merret. His sole job to bang into Merret at every contest and make his night miserable.

No change

Or

In - Harmes
Out - Bramble/Gallagher

Not to be disparaging but comments in this post might be relevant in 2022 but I?m not sure it is.

The cold hard facts are that the players this post discusses in the main have had the opportunity to make us a better a team over the last number of years but we?ve languished in the 8-12 section, when our top end talent suggests we should be in the top 6.

Based on the comments from Bevo post the Geelong game I believe the penny has dropped and we will see the mix change moving forward.

Dazza
10-04-2024, 11:21 AM
Only change I'd make is Vandemeer as sub.

jazzadogs
10-04-2024, 11:56 AM
I think this is premature to write Harmes off. He?s had one game in the seniors (albeit a stinker) and therefore minimal chance to find his feet.
I think spending all these weeks in the VFL will have him coming back a ?better? player.

Him or Garcia (preferably the latter) should be getting a game as soon as any of our mids is injured or out of form, and given Daniel?s efforts against Geelong that may be sooner rather than later

I think the issue is that his game in round one was reflective of most AFL games he has played since 2021.
And the VFL game was reflective of his VFL performances in that time.

We have got the exact guy that we recruited. For the sake of the team I hope he proves me wrong... But he won't.

The Underdog
10-04-2024, 12:05 PM
Only change I'd make is Vandemeer as sub.

But who replaces his role in the 22?

Danjul
10-04-2024, 02:06 PM
Not to be disparaging but comments in this post might be relevant in 2022 but I?m not sure it is.

The cold hard facts are that the players this post discusses in the main have had the opportunity to make us a better a team over the last number of years but we?ve languished in the 8-12 section, when our top end talent suggests we should be in the top 6.

Based on the comments from Bevo post the Geelong game I believe the penny has dropped and we will see the mix change moving forward.

l think you have quoted the wrong year. In 2022 we destroyed Collingwood in the middle of the season. Humiliated them, they were never within 5 goals and the dogs finished up double their score.

english didn’t play, Cleary did.
Weightman didn’t play, Khamis got 3 goals.

The team was swept along by players who less than 2 years later can’t get a game.

The Dogs had a hundred more possessions Then the teams diverged. Collingwood missed getting into the grand final by 1 point and then won the next.

The Dogs had over 400 possessions that day. The next time they got 400 possessions in a game was against Geelong in 2023. Boker 22 possessions, Arty 7. O’Donnell 7. Naughton 1 goal and Weightman 1 goal.

Who got dropped for the following game? Baker to the sub. Jones played..zero possessions. O’Donnell played.. 5 possessions.

It hasn’t been the aging players letting the team down, although they might be tiring from carrying it. It has been the crazy selections. And I still see it.

PR0408
10-04-2024, 03:12 PM
I think if any changes just one. CD will go out and JOD will come in.
Team balance looks better.
I?m not sure who the sub would be though.

bornadog
10-04-2024, 03:37 PM
I think if any changes just one. CD will go out and JOD will come in.
Team balance looks better.
I?m not sure who the sub would be though.

If JOD comes in, then we will have Bramble, Dale, Jones, Ed, Williams, JJ, Buku in the backline.

Looks very unbalanced

Before I Die
10-04-2024, 03:41 PM
l think you have quoted the wrong year. In 2022 we destroyed Collingwood in the middle of the season. Humiliated them, they were never within 5 goals and the dogs finished up double their score.

english didn’t play, Cleary did.
Weightman didn’t play, Khamis got 3 goals.

The team was swept along by players who less than 2 years later can’t get a game.

The Dogs had a hundred more possessions Then the teams diverged. Collingwood missed getting into the grand final by 1 point and then won the next.

The Dogs had over 400 possessions that day. The next time they got 400 possessions in a game was against Geelong in 2023. Boker 22 possessions, Arty 7. O’Donnell 7. Naughton 1 goal and Weightman 1 goal.

Who got dropped for the following game? Baker to the sub. Jones played..zero possessions. O’Donnell played.. 5 possessions.

It hasn’t been the aging players letting the team down, although they might be tiring from carrying it. It has been the crazy selections. And I still see it.

I don?t get the logic of quoting a single game to justify a supposed pattern or trend. It?s just got zero validity.

Rocco Jones
10-04-2024, 03:53 PM
If JOD comes in, then we will have Bramble, Dale, Jones, Ed, Williams, JJ, Buku in the backline.

Looks very unbalanced

Truck will surely go to the wing but that still leaves one extra. Dale or Bramble either out of the 22 or a different role.

hujsh
10-04-2024, 04:02 PM

Looks very unbalanced

Also Doc. Drop Dale

GVGjr
10-04-2024, 04:16 PM

Looks very unbalanced

Williams could move to the wing plus we have Duryea.
What's the concern in terms of balance?

Critter
10-04-2024, 04:16 PM

Looks very unbalanced
The published backline last week against Geelong was Bramble, Dale, Jones, Ed, Williams, JJ, Buku and Duryea on the bench. The same unbalanced lineup.

So, if JOD comes in then surely one of these moves out.

PR0408
10-04-2024, 04:17 PM

Looks very unbalanced
Duryea.

bornadog
10-04-2024, 04:23 PM
Also Doc. Drop Dale

Williams could move to the wing plus we have Duryea.
What's the concern in terms of balance?

I thought I missed someone.

Duryea.

bornadog
10-04-2024, 04:24 PM
The published backline last week against Geelong was Bramble, Dale, Jones, Ed, Williams, JJ, Buku and Duryea on the bench. The same unbalanced lineup.

So, if JOD comes in then surely one of these moves out.

That's my point - who. Is it Williams

Danjul
10-04-2024, 04:33 PM
I don?t get the logic of quoting a single game to justify a supposed pattern or trend. It?s just got zero validity.
The quote I was responding to referred to Daniel and Macrae in 2022. I read it to suggest that neither was much good even back then.

In the game I referenced Daniel got 34 possessions and Macrae got 37. And they were able to give the team momentum so lesser lights contributed. (I think it was West?s third full game.) And I used Collingwood because they were good enough to play in 7 finals in 22-23.

In the 2022 example Cleary and Khamis were able to have good games in a big win.

How many games did they get in 2023. 1 each. In that year we repeatedly selected underperforming players. I am suggesting that the poor seasons referred to in the original comment were due to poor selection principles and not the contributions by Daniel and Macrae.

If used wisely both are capable of significant contributions. In the games when they were used as interchange recently I thought the team lifted significantly when they came on..

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Is there a discussion to be had about moving Caleb Daniel into our back line again?
Personally I'd stick with him as a bench player and letting him fill a few roles as required but his form isn't compelling at the moment and we will need to try something.

soupman
11-04-2024, 11:09 AM
Sure but is this the most solid our backline has looked in ages, and aren't we trying to fit JOD in with about 8 defenders already named?

1eyedog
11-04-2024, 12:04 PM

Looks very unbalanced

Not sure why we bring JOD in who does he play on?

I'm assuming Jones on Jones, Khamis on Langford and Richards on Stringer.

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 01:30 PM

Looks very unbalanced

Williams might slide over to the wing and perhaps Doc or Bramble as the sub.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 01:52 PM
Caleb Daniel's spot in the Bulldogs' best 23 is up in the air after the 2020 All-Australian and Charles Sutton Medal winner was substituted out of last Saturday night's narrow loss to Geelong at Adelaide Oval.

Beveridge said Daniel's form has suffered from being moved around the ground across the pre-season and early stages of the year and might result in some time at VFL level to settle in one spot and help him regain form.

"There is no absolute need to do anything. When we think about Caleb and the role he might play week to week, he has been pretty adept at playing all over the ground across the journey. He is one of those players that doesn't necessarily settle in one area," Beveridge said.

"I suppose the team needs have come before Caleb's to a degree and that's always hard for a player to process and deal with. He is such a great character with great integrity, he will always process things in accordance with what's best for the team.

"He will probably spend a bit of time at half-back. If he plays State League then maybe he spends some time there. It just depends on who is playing well at different areas at AFL level and where he in the end gets his claws into the competition again. We've got no doubt that will happen."

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1105834

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 01:54 PM
Three-time All-Australian Jack Macrae replaced Daniel late in the third quarter on the weekend after starting as the substitute in his second game back in the senior side, following a month in the VFL.

Beveridge is confident the Victorian can ignite his season in the not too distant future after dealing with an interrupted pre-season, where he missed the February block of training after injuring his hamstring on the club's pre-season camp on the Sunshine Coast.

"Like Caleb, Jack will have a significant influence at some stage and could be this week. We don't discount that. Jack will play (at some level), but as far as formalising where that will be, we will probably have to wait until Friday night," he said.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 01:55 PM
Sounds like Bevo is saying don't be suprised if both Macrae and Caleb are in the VFL this week.

Mat Lyons
11-04-2024, 02:09 PM
He actually said Macrae will play AFL, but won't disclose "where" until Friday night, which suggests he may be Sub or at least that is what Bevo is gently guiding people to believe.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 02:17 PM
He actually said Macrae will play AFL, but won't disclose "where" until Friday night, which suggests he may be Sub or at least that is what Bevo is gently guiding people to believe.

Thanks for that. I have not listened to the presser yet, but will.

1eyedog
11-04-2024, 02:33 PM
Caleb Daniel's spot in the Bulldogs' best 23 is up in the air after the 2020 All-Australian and Charles Sutton Medal winner was substituted out of last Saturday night's narrow loss to Geelong at Adelaide Oval.

Beveridge said Daniel's form has suffered from being moved around the ground across the pre-season and early stages of the year and might result in some time at VFL level to settle in one spot and help him regain form.

"There is no absolute need to do anything. When we think about Caleb and the role he might play week to week, he has been pretty adept at playing all over the ground across the journey. He is one of those players that doesn't necessarily settle in one area," Beveridge said.

"I suppose the team needs have come before Caleb's to a degree and that's always hard for a player to process and deal with. He is such a great character with great integrity, he will always process things in accordance with what's best for the team.

"He will probably spend a bit of time at half-back. If he plays State League then maybe he spends some time there. It just depends on who is playing well at different areas at AFL level and where he in the end gets his claws into the competition again. We've got no doubt that will happen."

Gee CD is marked hard. I read it as we ask CD to play everywhere and if that unsettles him we'll drop him and play him off half back in the VFL. Tough gig.

Before I Die
11-04-2024, 02:43 PM
The consensus on here has been we need to inject real pace, we need to make significant changes to our structure across all three lines, and we need to reward form above reputation. In my view this is exactly what the MC is doing and I applaud it.
My only concern is the lack of a second tall down back, which I believe has only occurred through injury, and I expect a tall, probably JOD, to come in soon. Probably this week in place of Daniel.

PR0408
11-04-2024, 02:45 PM
The consensus on here has been we need to inject real pace, we need to make significant changes to our structure across all three lines, and we need to reward form above reputation. In my view this is exactly what the MC is doing and I applaud it.
My only concern is the lack of a second tall down back, which I believe has only occurred through injury, and I expect a tall, probably JOD, to come in soon. Probably this week in place of Daniel.
Correct

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 02:48 PM
Bevo spoke about our instability at the stoppage against the Cats in the first half. He said that the Cats had ruck dominance in the game. He then went onto mention that Goldy and Draper are going to be a handful for us this week and that Timmy and Sam are going to have their work cut out.

Really putting the acid on Tim to peform this week.

bornadog
11-04-2024, 02:56 PM
Bevo spoke about our instability at the stoppage against the Cats in the first half. He said that the Cats had ruck dominance in the game. He then went onto mention that Goldy and Draper are going to be a handful for us this week and that Timmy and Sam are going to have their work cut out.

Really putting the acid on Tim to perform this week.
which means no Lobb again

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 03:10 PM
which means no Lobb again

He specifically answered the Lobb question.

He said that they considered adding him, but it is too much to play the five talls (Marra, Naughts, Darcy, Timmy & Lobb). He said that if Naughts or Marra were injured he would play Lobb in a heartbeat. He said everything has to go perfect if you play four talls up forward with the way the ball comes in. He also said that you sacrafice a small who can be dangerous played close to goal and gave Weightman as an example. A small will pop up and pay dividiends for you.

So yes. No Lobb.

1eyedog
11-04-2024, 03:12 PM

Pace is good but kicking the bloody ball better eats space better than the fastest player so that would be nice too.

There is no 2 metre Peter so their only genuine tall threat is Jones and Draper when he pushes forward. I wouldn't bring JOD in this week I don't reckon he's required.

Before I Die
11-04-2024, 03:41 PM
Goldstein?

Jeanette54
11-04-2024, 04:55 PM
Goldstein?

Vastly experienced and still a difficult opponent for any opposition ruckman, the youngsters will know they have been in a contest.

Axe Man
11-04-2024, 05:20 PM

Really putting the acid on Tim to peform this week.

Essendon won the hitouts v Port last week 34-23 but lost the clearances 30-39 and were smashed in centre clearances 6-19. This against a lone Ivan Soldo. Tim with support from Darcy really shouldn't be lowering their colours this week.

jeemak
11-04-2024, 05:40 PM
Essendon won the hitouts v Port last week 34-23 but lost the clearances 30-39 and were smashed in centre clearances 6-19. This against a lone Ivan Soldo. Tim with support from Darcy really shouldn't be lowering their colours this week.

I'm not expecting Tim to win the hitouts, this week, though I expect he'll be influential around the ground.

Axe Man
11-04-2024, 05:50 PM
I'm not expecting Tim to win the hitouts, this week, though I expect he'll be influential around the ground.

I don't think we expect Tim to win the hitouts many weeks and personally I don't really care about total hitout numbers. Geelong won the hitouts, but not by much (55-44), however it's concerning that Bevo and the coaches felt Geelong had ruck dominance when we are talking primarily about Rhys Stanley. Tim should be at least breaking even in the ruck contest against most rucks these days (in influence, not hitout numbers) and pressing home his advantage around the ground.

jeemak
11-04-2024, 06:01 PM
I don't think we expect Tim to win the hitouts many weeks and personally I don't really care about total hitout numbers. Geelong won the hitouts, but not by much (55-44), however it's concerning that Bevo and the coaches felt Geelong had ruck dominance when we are talking primarily about Rhys Stanley. Tim should be at least breaking even in the ruck contest against most rucks these days (in influence, not hitout numbers) and pressing home his advantage around the ground.

I think in that comment he also included Darcy's moments in there, which really stood out as problematic in the first half.

bornadog
11-04-2024, 06:25 PM

He certainly won the Hitouts to Advantage :)

bornadog
11-04-2024, 07:23 PM
Team: in JOD
out Daniel

whythelongface
11-04-2024, 07:24 PM
out Daniel

Bench: sanders Dale Bramble JOD Macrae

Sub likely to be Dale or Bramble

The Bulldogs Bite
11-04-2024, 07:25 PM
Interested to see who we make the sub. Suspect it's Bramble but I'd put Dale on notice.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 07:27 PM
ESSENDON

In: S.Durham, A.Davey Jnr
Out: W.Setterfield (knee), A.Perkins (hamstring)

Last week's sub: Nick Hind

Axe Man
11-04-2024, 07:28 PM
Interested to see who we make the sub. Suspect it's Bramble but I'd put Dale on notice.

With 9 defenders named, Williams surely to a wing and agree either Dale or Bramble to be the sub.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 07:28 PM
BULLDOGS

B: E.Richards, L.Jones, B.Williams

HB: T.Duryea, B.Khamis, J.Johannisen

C: O.Baker, A.Treloar, H.Gallagher

HF: L.Vandermeer, A.Naughton, R.West

F: S.Darcy, J.Ugle-Hagan, C.Weightman

FOLL: T.English, M.Bontempelli - C, T.Liberatore

I/C: L.Bramble, B.Dale, J.Macrae, J.O’Donnell, R.Sanders

EMG: C.Daniel, R.Lobb, R.Garcia

IN: J.O’Donnell

OUT: C.Daniel (omitted)

Critter
11-04-2024, 07:33 PM
out Daniel
Hoo- bloody what took them so bloody long- ray!

Grantysghost
11-04-2024, 07:52 PM
ESSENDON

In: S.Durham, A.Davey Jnr
Out: W.Setterfield (knee), A.Perkins (hamstring)

Last week's sub: Nick Hind

Perkins is a good out, he's been one of their best.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 07:58 PM
Does the role of Khamis change at all with JOD in the team? JOD is 197cm. Khamis is 191cm.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2024, 07:59 PM
Perkins is a good out, he's been one of their best.

The have a few out.

Name Injury Weeks

Sam Durham Concussion Test
Dylan Shiel Oblique strain Test
Tex Wanganeen Navicular Test
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Will Setterfield Knee 2-3 weeks
Zach Reid Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Archie Perkins Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Jordan Ridley Quad 4-6 weeks
Kaine Baldwin Navicular stress 9-10 weeks
Jaiden Hunter ACL Season
Peter Wright Suspended

Last time we played them Ridley had 29 touches and took 14 marks and had 9 intercepts (our best was Richards with 5). At the other end 2 meter Pete led their goal kickers with three.

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 08:02 PM
Does the role of Khamis change at all with JOD in the team? JOD is 197cm. Khamis is 191cm.

Potentially an adjustment. JOD could also be the sub

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 08:03 PM
The have a few out.

Name Injury Weeks

Sam Durham Concussion Test
Dylan Shiel Oblique strain Test
Tex Wanganeen Navicular Test
Matt Guelfi Calf 2 weeks
Will Setterfield Knee 2-3 weeks
Zach Reid Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Archie Perkins Hamstring 3-4 weeks
Jordan Ridley Quad 4-6 weeks
Kaine Baldwin Navicular stress 9-10 weeks
Jaiden Hunter ACL Season

Last time we played them Ridley had 29 touches and took 14 marks and had 9 intercepts (our best was Richards with 5).

It's a tough one, we had a big list last season and just kept playing catch-up.

Critter
11-04-2024, 08:07 PM
I certainly hope so

Go_Dogs
11-04-2024, 08:17 PM
Hope we get Garcia in soon.

JOD back is good.

mighty_west
11-04-2024, 09:46 PM
Good to have JOD back so Buku can play as the third key defender although the Bombers don't exactly have a tall forward line, Garcia stiff although with Daniel omitted was probably no chance with VDM holding his spot.

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Reading various articles and comments on X etc it reminds me that so many of our fans live in the moment.
For years the MC has copped a number of sprays, and I've done it myself, but the moment we go into teams selections largely based on displayed form then many aren't equipped to cope with high profile names being dropped or not being automatic selections.
All of a sudden the likes of Macrae, Lobb, Harmes and Daniel are seen as either victims or players that should be looking for other sides.

We've almost got a full list of players and the MC is picking players on form not just reputation and a couple of players have to now earn their way back on. It's actually a good problem to have and it will sort itself out over the next few weeks.

jDogs
11-04-2024, 10:09 PM
Looking at the team, I still feel it's not quite right with the balance. Williams named back but with no many backs named, no doubt spends time on the wing... I feel like I would prefer Williams to stay back, get rid of one of the half backs, play Gallagher more outside and bring in Garcia to be in that midfield rotation.

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 10:13 PM
Looking at the team, I still feel it's not quite right with the balance. Williams named back but with no many backs named, no doubt spends time on the wing... I feel like I would prefer Williams to stay back, get rid of one of the half backs, play Gallagher more outside and bring in Garcia to be in that midfield rotation.

Pretty confident that they will shuffle some players around. I didn't mention it on the Doggy-Bag Takeaways but Williams was up on the wing in the brief match sim yesterday.

Ozza
12-04-2024, 12:57 AM
I know they want to get JOD back in.....but strange to bring him in this week when Essendon have no talls. Sure they play Draper forward when Goldy is on, but Jones can pick them up if deep. Jake doesn't play tall. Langford effective but certainly no beast.

Geez I reckon Caleb's runs on the board gives him the opportunity to slice and dice Essendon with his kicking.

Amazing that VDM is a walk up start.

Vred
12-04-2024, 02:14 AM
I know they want to get JOD back in.....but strange to bring him in this week when Essendon have no talls. Sure they play Draper forward when Goldy is on, but Jones can pick them up if deep. Jake doesn't play tall. Langford effective but certainly no beast.

Geez I reckon Caleb's runs on the board gives him the opportunity to slice and dice Essendon with his kicking.

Amazing that VDM is a walk up start.

Probably telling Buku to be a 100% interceptor, allowing Jones and JOD to lock down talls.
VDM still perplexes me, really want to see Charlie C get a debut.

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 03:21 AM
Reading various articles and comments on X etc it reminds me that so many of our fans live in the moment.
For years the MC has copped a number of sprays, and I've done it myself, but the moment we go into teams selections largely based on displayed form then many aren't equipped to cope with high profile names being dropped or not being automatic selections.
All of a sudden the likes of Macrae, Lobb, Harmes and Daniel are seen as either victims or players that should be looking for other sides.

We've almost got a full list of players and the MC is picking players on form not just reputation and a couple of players have to now earn their way back on. It's actually a good problem to have and it will sort itself out over the next few weeks.

Good point. Competition for spots is great. Everyone has to lift, no complacency.

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 03:25 AM
Probably telling Buku to be a 100% interceptor, allowing Jones and JOD to lock down talls.

Agreed re VDM. Charlie must be close to debut. Was never gonna happen this week after a VFL bye on the weekend but if he performs very well tomorrow afternoon at Docklands then the heat is on and he might get a chance against St Kilda.

GVGjr
12-04-2024, 08:25 AM
Good point. Competition for spots is great. Everyone has to lift, no complacency.

And from my limited view what I can tell at training is that none of the likes of Lobb, Macrae, Harmes or Daniel have cracked the sads or anything negative. The media and our fans just need to accept that there have been some subtle changes and the better performed players are being rewarded.

The Doctor
12-04-2024, 09:33 AM
BULLDOGS

B: E.Richards, L.Jones, B.Williams

HB: T.Duryea, B.Khamis, J.Johannisen

C: O.Baker, A.Treloar, H.Gallagher

HF: L.Vandermeer, A.Naughton, R.West

F: S.Darcy, J.Ugle-Hagan, C.Weightman

FOLL: T.English, M.Bontempelli - C, T.Liberatore

I/C: L.Bramble, B.Dale, J.Macrae, J.O?Donnell, R.Sanders

EMG: C.Daniel, R.Lobb, R.Garcia

IN: J.O?Donnell

OUT: C.Daniel (omitted)

I think our team is unbalanced. On the bench we have 3 defenders and 2 midfielders. No forwards. We have a half forward line of manufactured rather than natural forwards. We simply do not have enough quality small and medium forwards on our list.

GVGjr
12-04-2024, 10:23 AM
I think our team is unbalanced. On the bench we have 3 defenders and 2 midfielders. No forwards. We have a half forward line of manufactured rather than natural forwards. We simply do not have enough quality small and medium forwards on our list.

It's a shame that Arty hasn't come on like we would have hoped and his shoulder surgeries would have slowed down his preseason plus Clarke copping that knock to his knee after making so much progress with his running over the summer.
Hopefully in the coming weeks they will put some pressure on the MC for their inclusion.

Ozza
12-04-2024, 11:37 AM

Which is really Ed Richards. And Jones intercept marks also. I get that we are trying to address our previous deficiency there - just not convinced this is the right balance for Essendon.

Critter
12-04-2024, 11:40 AM

Exactly.

Mofra
12-04-2024, 11:45 AM
It's a shame that Arty hasn't come on like we would have hoped and his shoulder surgeries would have slowed down his preseason plus Clarke copping that knock to his knee after making so much progress with his running over the summer.
Hopefully in the coming weeks they will put some pressure on the MC for their inclusion.
I see Arty & VDM as competing for the same spot.
West & Clarke for the same spot, although I suspect if Weightman misses Clarke gets that spot too.

I echo above sentiments about defenders. We were arguably one-defender too many against Geelong and we've taken out a mid-forward utility to add another one.
To me, Williams or Dale has to push up higher and Williams has the better form-line at doing that

Scorlibo
12-04-2024, 11:59 AM

I see it less as a sudden move towards selection integrity and more as a shift in team balance, structure and priorities.

We've relied so heavily on clearance dominance and playing the territory game for pretty much Bevo's entire tenure. Obviously it worked wonders early days but since it's fallen short too often. This is the first time we're seeing a team that moves the ball well and scores from turnover. Add to that our pressure is back where it needs to be.

No doubt some of the shifts in personnel and roles have played a part here - we're playing with one less half-forward who rotates into the midfield. Macrae and Smith shared these duties last year, and Daniel was in these rotations as well at various points, now Sanders is getting the nod, and the extra forward is Vandermeer, told to apply relentless pressure from behind. Last year we began playing dedicated wingers who were told to push hard both ways and threaten the scoreboard. Baker and Gallagher might be the answers, they are each going at a goal a game. Some of Gallagher's offensive running has been magnificent, and Baker the same on the defensive side.

The shift in priorities has been towards favouring pace and youth. Johannisen, Bramble, Duryea, Baker, Gallagher, Vandermeer are all prioritised for their pace. Sanders, Gallagher and Darcy because they've got a lot of footy ahead of them. Not to say that any of these guys haven't performed, they have, but we're willing to cope with less output, versus those competing with them for a spot, because they bring valuable attributes to the side now and into the future.

So the exclusion of Macrae and Daniel is easy to understand in this context, and I don't see it as being a result of a decline in either's abilities. Rather their abilities would still enable them to be top contributors if we hadn't changed our DNA, but we have, and it's reaping rewards. In that sense they are victims of change.

The coaching so far this year gets a big tick from me, but I still think they need to be a bit more explorative in how best to use these guys. In the best case scenario I think we see a 2015 type of year, with personnel in a constant state of flux as we find the right mix, but a great game plan bubbling away beneath the surface that sets us in good stead for a crack at the flag in 2025.

Before I Die
12-04-2024, 12:05 PM
I think Macrae will be the sub again. I don?t see how the last two weeks have earned him a starting spot. It seems in the modern game the half forwards have evolved more into midfielders, specifically link players and pressure appliers across the whole field, rather than true forwards. Which probably suits our personal.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 12:08 PM
I see it less as a sudden move towards selection integrity and more as a shift in team balance, structure and priorities.

We've relied so heavily on clearance dominance and playing the territory game for pretty much Bevo's entire tenure. Obviously it worked wonders early days but since it's fallen short too often. This is the first time we're seeing a team that moves the ball well and scores from turnover. Add to that our pressure is back where it needs to be.

No doubt some of the shifts in personnel and roles have played a part here - we're playing with one less half-forward who rotates into the midfield. Macrae and Smith shared these duties last year, and Daniel was in these rotations as well at various points, now Sanders is getting the nod, and the extra forward is Vandermeer, told to apply relentless pressure from behind. Last year we began playing dedicated wingers who were told to push hard both ways and threaten the scoreboard. Baker and Gallagher might be the answers, they are each going at a goal a game. Some of Gallagher's offensive running has been magnificent, and Baker the same on the defensive side.

The shift in priorities has been towards favouring pace and youth. Johannisen, Bramble, Duryea, Baker, Gallagher, Vandermeer are all prioritised for their pace. Sanders, Gallagher and Darcy because they've got a lot of footy ahead of them. Not to say that any of these guys haven't performed, they have, but we're willing to cope with less output, versus those competing with them for a spot, because they bring valuable attributes to the side now and into the future.

So the exclusion of Macrae and Daniel is easy to understand in this context, and I don't see it as being a result of a decline in either's abilities. Rather their abilities would still enable them to be top contributors if we hadn't changed our DNA, but we have, and it's reaping rewards. In that sense they are victims of change.

The coaching so far this year gets a big tick from me, but I still think they need to be a bit more explorative in how best to use these guys. In the best case scenario I think we see a 2015 type of year, with personnel in a constant state of flux as we find the right mix, but a great game plan bubbling away beneath the surface that sets us in good stead for a crack at the flag in 2025.

Good post. Agree.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 12:26 PM
I think Macrae will be the sub again. I don?t see how the last two weeks have earned him a starting spot. It seems in the modern game the half forwards have evolved more into midfielders, specifically link players and pressure appliers across the whole field, rather than true forwards. Which probably suits our personal.

He's never going to earn that spot as a sub though. He needs to play a full match either at AFL or VFL level. Since he's been picked I'd guess AFL

Axe Man
12-04-2024, 12:29 PM

With Daniel out I think Macrae starts as part of the midfield rotation. About 75% of the selected side are defenders so surely one of them will be the sub.

Mofra
12-04-2024, 12:53 PM
With Daniel out I think Macrae starts as part of the midfield rotation. About 75% of the selected side are defenders so surely one of them will be the sub.
Yep I see it that way too.
JJ or Bramble? Similar types, both quick which seems to be the way many coaches pick their sub

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 12:53 PM

This one goes through the big sticks. Thankyou for this analysis, you've articulated perfectly how something that we used to be good at which worked well no longer holds water. Finally adapting and scoring from turnover-which is where we getting smashed by other sides. It hasn't all clicked in to place yet. Unlearning habits is much harder than learning new ones. Once the reward for effort chemicals kick in there'll be a big enough shift in confidence and persisting with new styles then trust comes naturally.
It does feel to me like a 2015 vibe but wiser. Playing the long game without announcing it. I think guys like Charlie Clarke & Bedendo with his pace if his form improves will get a crack at it. If you add Freijah, O'Driscoll and Croft emerging and likely being ready to play next year the team will be fizzing. If Artie can find form, plus Spicer with his speed mid year. Busslinger too, taking time showed some wheels and sass last VFL game.

Pleather Sole
12-04-2024, 02:21 PM
Yep I see it that way too.
JJ or Bramble? Similar types, both quick which seems to be the way many coaches pick their sub

You're right. Was JJ good last week? I don't remember off the top of my head. Bramble has been consistent.
Wouldn't be surprised if Bailey Dale is a wildcard sub, might even come on & play wing/half forward? He's been a bit off for a while so maybe he gets his mojo back as an impact player. Always a lottery with Bevo and it wouldn't be his weirdest ever choice.

mighty_west
12-04-2024, 02:57 PM
I think it'll be Dale or Bramble to be sub however, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Sanders might get the vest as he was in the 22 last week, but on the bench for tonight's game but i hope he's not.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2024, 03:07 PM
I think it'll be Dale or Bramble to be sub however, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Sanders might get the vest as he was in the 22 last week, but on the bench for tonight's game but i hope he's not.

I think that is a big chance. Sanders that is. They have been carefully managing his minutes. He has been playing 50-60% of game time, so I can definitley see coming of multiple six day breaks that he is the sub.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 03:40 PM

I think that is a big chance. Sanders that is. They have been carefully managing his minutes. He has been playing 50-60% of game time, so I can definitley see coming of multiple six day breaks that he is the sub.

I was going to suggest that but there are just too many defenders in the team for that IMO and Sanders is one of the few others attending the center (though it would align with Macrae back in the 22)

bornadog
12-04-2024, 05:22 PM
Dale should be sub