PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 8 vs Hawthorn

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Seven match against Hawthorn for our Round Eight match against Hawthorn at Marvel on Sunday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
26-04-2024, 09:41 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:01 PM
In: Libba, Marra, Buss, Clarke, Sanders
Out: Gallagher, Daniel, Lobb, Khamis, Weightman

Hotdog60
27-04-2024, 11:48 PM
Out
Khamis
Weightman
Daniel
Lobb

In
Keith
Clarke
Libba
Marra (if available)

bornadog
27-04-2024, 11:51 PM
OUT: Lobb, Gallagher, Harmes, Weightman (if injured), Daniel

In: Marra, Libba, Clarke, and now running out of players

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:53 PM
OUT: Lobb, Gallagher, Harmes, Weightman (if injured), Daniel

In: Marra, Libba, Clarke, and now running out of players

Id rather kids that don’t have scar tissue like many of these players have. Sanders & Buss played well today and they can’t do worse than Buku or Gags tonight.

bornadog
27-04-2024, 11:54 PM
Id rather kids that don’t have scar tissue like many of these players have. Sanders & Buss played well today and they can’t do worse than Buku or Gags tonight.

Yeah, give them a go. So add Sanders and Buss

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 11:57 PM
Yeah, give them a go. So add Sanders and Buss

I think we need to see what we have with a few players. We know we have some cooked guys, so let’s see if some kids might have something. I can’t believe the way some have fallen off a cliff.

bornadog
27-04-2024, 11:59 PM
I think we need to see what we have with a few players. We know we have some cooked guys, so let’s see if some kids might have something. I can’t believe the way some have fallen off a cliff.

Do you think we stuffed caleb around and now he just can't get back his rhythm? The turnovers were costly

Sedat
28-04-2024, 12:02 AM
Do you think we stuffed caleb around and now he just can't get back his rhythm? The turnovers were costly
Caleb has stuffed himself. I can't believe after tonight that Bevo will still get criticism for dropping Macrae and Daniel. They are in serious danger in the modern game.

And subbing Dale has resulted in him having 2 of his very best games of his career. But again Bevo's fault for dropping him to the sub.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2024, 12:04 AM

Not 100%. I’d put him in one role for the rest of the year. Right now he’s a jack of no trades on his way to a trade for a future fourth.

Happy Days
28-04-2024, 12:04 AM
Out: Harmes

angelopetraglia
28-04-2024, 12:17 AM
Daniels did himself zero favours when he came on as the sub. Just lacked touch and his most important assett which is poise with the ball in hand has deserted him.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2024, 12:31 AM
Out - Khamis, Bramble, Lobb, Weightman, Gallagher
In - Busslinger, Libba, Marra, Clarke, Arty

** Arty and Clarke give us something different up forward with goal nous/pace, even if Arty's VFL form hasn't demanded selection. Need to pump games into him and if he isn't up to it, we move on. I'd play him on the wing for stints too.

** Happy to swap Harmes with Gallagher. Feel Gags needs VFL time though.

JanLorMill
28-04-2024, 12:44 AM
Out - Khamis, Bramble, Lobb, Weightman, Gallagher
In - Busslinger, Libba, Marra, Clarke, Arty

** Arty and Clarke give us something different up forward with goal nous/pace, even if Arty's VFL form hasn't demanded selection. Need to pump games into him and if he isn't up to it, we move on. I'd play him on the wing for stints too.

** Happy to swap Harmes with Gallagher. Feel Gags needs VFL time though.
Yes Time to move from dureya. Move VDM to defence.

Scorlibo
28-04-2024, 12:45 AM

Yes.

Plays everywhere through 2023 out of necessity, never settles.

Sub Round 1.

Two full games of being thrown around.

Subbed off Round 4.

Plays half back in the VFL for two weeks.

Last minute call up as sub Round 7, plays half forward.

Give the guy some continuity... VFL, AFL, wherever, just let him settle.

jDogs
28-04-2024, 01:52 AM

Beveridge said a few weeks ago in a presser that Daniel hasn't settled in an area on the ground based on the needs of the team, but ultimately to the detriment of himself.

He has been the ultimate team player and now he is being shafted. I've disliked supporters saying how badly he has fallen off without taking into consideration the fact that he has been thrown around everywhere and anywhere, and has now been basically discarded by Beveridge. He's not playing to his fullest ability when he does play because he is feeling it.

Scraggers
28-04-2024, 01:59 AM
I think Buku plays next week, but he’s on notice.
JUH for Lobb
Arty for Weightman (assuming he’s out)
Libba for Ed (Ed back to the backline) Gallagher out
Sanders for Harmes
Buss for Daniel

I feel like I’m throwing the baby out with the bath water but we need to make changes after that.

DadBod
28-04-2024, 03:07 AM
JUH for Lobb
Sanders for Harmes
Buss for Daniel

I feel like I’m throwing the baby out with the bath water but we need to make changes after that.

I'd go Clarke before Arty, reckon he is having a bigger impact. Like the Buss call but would bring in Sanders for Gags.

Go_Dogs
28-04-2024, 07:46 AM
Out: Weightman (inj), Daniel, Lobb
In: Clarke, Libba, Marra

Start Bramble as sub.

Khamis had a bad night but has been a much improved player this season. Our defensive group need to be better, however I?d back them in to do so.

Gags is still doing enough right and we need to persist unless he?s injured.

GVGjr
28-04-2024, 07:52 AM
Out Weightman, Khamis, Lobb, Gallagher and Daniel.
In Clarke, Gardner, Ugle-Hagan and Liberatore

The Doctor
28-04-2024, 09:06 AM
My Team based on form and needs

B: Dale, Jones, Busslinger

HB: Richards, Keath, JJ

C: Williams, Libba, Poulter

HF: West, Naughton, Bont

F: Clarke, Jamarra, Darcy

R: English, Treloar, Garcia

Int: Duryea, Macrae, Gags, Freijah

Sub: Harmes

EMG: Sanders, Khamis, Lobb

IN: Busslinger, Clarke, Freijah, Keath, Poulter, Libba, Jamarra

Out: Weightman (inj) Bramble, Lobb, Khamis, O'Donnell, Daniel, VDM

Debuts for Freijah, Clarke and Busslinger who have been playing well for Footscray. Keath and Poulter earn a recall for their excellent form at Footscray. Libba and Jamarra are auto selections at the moment.

I, of course, expect nothing like this will happen and the changes most likely will be Libba and Jamarra in for Lobb and Daniel.

azabob
28-04-2024, 09:16 AM
JUH for Lobb
Sanders for Harmes
Buss for Daniel

Four tall defenders? Buss, Jones, Khamis and JOD. We were smashed on the transition, putting this team on the park makes us slower again.

Grantysghost
28-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Four tall defenders? Buss, Jones, Khamis and JOD. We were smashed on the transition, putting this team on the park makes us slower again.
Be a very tall, very slow team.

Lobb goes out again, what a complete bust.

Have we ever recruited a good tall forward from another side?

Barry Hall maybe it.

azabob
28-04-2024, 09:42 AM
Ok, so Weightman was my pick for most improved in 2024 and would lead our goal kicking… BUT I am looking forward to seeing how we go with a genuine crumber.

bornadog
28-04-2024, 11:18 AM
I'd go Clarke before Arty, reckon he is having a bigger impact. Like the Buss call but would bring in Sanders for Gags.

Agree, Arty showing nothing at VFL level

bulldogtragic
28-04-2024, 11:29 AM
Agree, Arty showing nothing at VFL level

I’m not sure Arty makes it. I think he needs to go to wing or HBF as I don’t think he’s a forward. If he can’t make it there maybe he doesn’t make it.

lemmon
28-04-2024, 12:09 PM
Out: Buku, Cody, Caleb, Lobb
In: Buss, Clarke, Libba, Marra

A few boys that were lucky to retain their place, but I just can't see us making wholesale changes, and even four feels like a lot.

Bramble and Gallagher the two that really need to put a performance together to retain their spots - I'd start one of those two as sub. I like what we've seen from Gallagher, but he's had virtually no influence on games recently and probably needs some time in the twos. Flip of a coin between he and Caleb for that final spot. Caleb was poor last night, but at least he gets his hands on the footy.

Feels like the right time to debut Buss - it's a young Hawks forwardline and he's put together some form. Clarke plays as he seems to be the best small forward running around for Footscray at the moment, so straight swap for an injured Weightman.

Hopefully last night means we don't have to consider the Lobb/Darcy position again. It's Darcy playing unless he's injured.

meenies
28-04-2024, 02:30 PM
Out: Weightman, Daniel, Lobb, JOD
In: Clarke, Libba, JUH, Keath

Backline we’re pretty stuffed yesterday as mids were not effective enough.
That said JOD needs to learn a bit more in the twos.

Not sure why our smaller faster players get roasted the most. Not their fault that coach won’t put Harmes or Garcia or West in the centre and negate the opposition mids when our “stars” cannot do it.

Danjul
28-04-2024, 02:51 PM
It has been clear for a long time that fast ball movement is not the same as fast runners.

Fast teams set up for space so they can receive the ball without pressure and then run. If they are tackled while running they usually break through. Space and the way it is used is at least 50% of our problems.

Danjul
28-04-2024, 02:55 PM
Be a very tall, very slow team.

Lobb goes out again, what a complete bust.

Have we ever recruited a good tall forward from another side?

Barry Hall maybe it.

when Lobb defeated us a couple of years ago he did not ruck. Just led, marked and goaled.

Not how we are using him.

azabob
28-04-2024, 03:25 PM
It has been clear for a long time that fast ball movement is not the same as fast runners.

Fast teams set up for space so they can receive the ball without pressure and then run. If they are tackled while running they usually break through. Space and the way it is used is at least 50% of our problems.

My point is still correct. Having those four make us slow with ball movement and speed.

mighty_west
28-04-2024, 03:53 PM
Out : West (if suspended but think he may just cop a fine), Weightman, Lobb, Harmes, Gallager
In : Clarke (Debut), Jamarra, Libba, Sanders

Rocco Jones
28-04-2024, 04:19 PM
I'm anti making changes like bringing in Poulter for guys who basically offered up what Poulter offers up. I'd prefer to get games into into the right guys rather than the cycle of dropping guy who inevitably fails a bit due to higher standard for guy who kills it at lower standard.

In- Marra, Keath, Libba,
Out- Lobb, Buku, Cody, Harmes

ThenFreijah and/or Clarke (if we are confident they can cover ground needed at AFL level) for Daniel and Gags. Gags first to survive.

If we play Daniel in the VFL, I want to see him in the role he is most likely to play at AFL level. He is a hard one to judge with clear strengths and weaknesses but I'd like to see a stint forward.

weltschmerz
28-04-2024, 07:41 PM
Clarke to debut. Clarke to annoy the living piss out of Blake Hardwick and get belted in the goolies. Clarke to take his 50m, slot a goal, and smirk.

EasternWest
28-04-2024, 07:50 PM
Clarke to debut. Clarke to annoy the living piss out of Blake Hardwick and get belted in the goolies. Clarke to take his 50m, slot a goal, and smirk.

Well I think we found Clarke's Mum's account.

azabob
28-04-2024, 08:06 PM

Love the plan but… Hardwick is playing forward.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-04-2024, 08:58 PM
So if Cody is out for the year. We need to swap Arty straight in. Enthusiasm, goal smarts and a longer view going forward He is now my project player.

Libba and JUH back are huge. I?m upset like everyone but we are just one game out of the. 8 and a third the way into a long session.

So Weightman out - Arty in
I?m sticking with Buku
Lobb out JUH in
MaCrae out - Libba in
VDM out.Sanders back in
Doc stays. He with Jones are the level heads and we need him to free up Dale, JJ

I would also like to move ADZ to the wing as we n Ed his speed and would free him up. Libba and Garcia to rotate 70/30 midfield/forward

Mantis
29-04-2024, 08:23 AM
I want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

We are not going to be a competitive team against anything other than average/mediocre teams with probably half the team we had in on Saturday night at their current state. We have a few of those who will improve with further development but the game has moved past a few and if we are to get anything out of the year it?s time to act quickly.

Our draw gets real tough after the next 2 and if we are going to fail, we need to fail differently.

Happy Days
29-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Because some genius tried to be too cute at the trade table and traded our first rounder can we really afford to make the sort of changes that might risk us bottoming out?

bulldogtragic
29-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Because some genius tried to be too cute at the trade table and traded our first rounder can we really afford to make the sort of changes that might risk us bottoming out?

Only if Tim leaves as his compo will be tied to our finishing position (well the pick after the one we give GCS). If we sign him, then we are in trouble.

angelopetraglia
29-04-2024, 11:55 AM
West is 100% out. We have accepted the week.

Happy Days
29-04-2024, 11:56 AM
Only if Tim leaves as his compo will be tied to our finishing position (well the pick after the one we give GCS). If we sign him, then we are in trouble.

What would be even cooler is to have Tim sign and also have a first round pick.

Scraggers
29-04-2024, 12:01 PM

We seem to be the only club that won't fight suspensions. His was more innocuous than a lot of others that we see overturned each week. Really disappointed that we are not fighting this.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2024, 12:01 PM
What would be even cooler is to have Tim sign and also have a first round pick.

I’m with you. If we can’t turn this ship around, it’s going to be dumpster fire this off season. Just how bad, well, that’s to be seen.

lemmon
29-04-2024, 12:20 PM

With Cody doubtful, think we have to see a Clarke debut then and probably gives Vandermeer a reprieve.

Mantis
29-04-2024, 12:24 PM

I think we have enough top end talent which will ensure we beat the teams below us, as we're doing, but we aren't getting a consistent performance across the board against the good teams and thus we can't beat them.

I'd be happy to finish 10th-12th and get games into the likes of Busslinger & Clarke, give the likes of Garcia & Sanders more important roles rather than continue down the path we're on. I see it as being almost impossible that see the likes of Macrae & Daniel, to name just 2 (but an important 2) being a part of successful Bulldog teams so we need to bite the bullet.

The use of Daniel was mind-boggling on Saturday night... he probably shouldn't have even played and was thrust into a totally unsuitable role at the expense of other more suited team-mates... I know Daniel has been a very solid contributor for Bevo, but he picked the wrong horse on Saturday night and it hurt us.

Ozza
29-04-2024, 12:32 PM
Outs:

West, Weightman, Gallagher; Lobb

Ins:

Libba; Jamarra; Sandars; Daniel

Vandemeer should be dropped, but won't (particularly with West out). Bramble should be dropped but gets a reprieve due to Gallagher probably have even less impact. Harmes is doing nothing - but the way he's been used does no favours.

bornadog
29-04-2024, 12:36 PM
Outs:

West, Weightman, Gallagher; Lobb

Ins:

Libba; Jamarra; Sandars; Daniel

Vandemeer should be dropped, but won't (particularly with West out). Bramble should be dropped but gets a reprieve due to Gallagher probably have even less impact. Harmes is doing nothing - but the way he's been used does no favours.

whether we are using him the right way doesn?t really matter, he simply isn?t a good footballer

angelopetraglia
29-04-2024, 05:30 PM
Mabior Chol has been hit with a one-game suspension for striking Errol Gulden yesterday

Scraggers
29-04-2024, 05:48 PM
Mabior Chol has been hit with a one-game suspension for striking Errol Gulden yesterday

What's the bet they contest it??

Axe Man
29-04-2024, 05:50 PM

Most Hawks supporters I know will be happy to see him out of the team.

Testekill
29-04-2024, 07:38 PM
Since Cody is out for at least six weeks, now is the time to bring Clarke into the team and persist with him. No bringing McNeil in as Weightman's replacement or throwing one of the excess mids there, bring in the natural forward and roll with him.

bornadog
29-04-2024, 07:39 PM
Most Hawks supporters I know will be happy to see him out of the team.
he hates body contact

Jasper
29-04-2024, 08:30 PM
It will probably just be Libba for Cody. I doubt they give up on Khamis so quickly.

G-Mo77
29-04-2024, 08:40 PM
With the news on Cody it'd be great if Clarke did get the call up. From what I've seen he's done quite well.

Thursday night.

Out: Cody
In: McNeil :(

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Clarke but it's wishful thinking.

josie
29-04-2024, 09:12 PM
McNeil was poor imo on Saturday. I?m not sure I could stomach him missing easy goals any more. Clarke was pretty good and looked lively - deserves his chance.

Will be interesting to see if Buss or Keath come in for Buku or if MC give him another go. I?m torn which way to go (showing a bit of faith in Buku after some reasonable form seems fair) but would like Buss to be given a go soon.

kruder
29-04-2024, 09:18 PM
McNeill will not be playing this weekend has been well below average. I'm not convinced by Clarke yet but will play this weekend.

soupman
29-04-2024, 09:23 PM
First up Vandermeer was great on the weekend, particularly his first half. His pressure was awesome and he more than contributed his share.

Clarke feels like he's been waiting for an opportunity all season, pretty excited to see what he offers as a replacement for Weightman.

Libba in for West. Different roles obviously but we will rejig it and probably just leave Garcia forward even more.

JUH for Lobb.

I really like Baker and would put him in for Daniel as the sub, although Gallagher looks tired so if that is the case Gallagher can be sub and Baker start (or if really tired Scott can be sub). We clearly have nfi how to fix Daniel, so lets come up with something to try at VFL level.

Bramble I think is going ok, we lack movement up field imo which makes his job harder, and I don't think we get better dropping him so we have even less run.

Khamis really showed his weaknesses, and I am still unconvinced he is going to make it (also reluctant to cut him young player slack seeing as this is his 6th year in the system), but he's got just enough credits to hold off the uninspiring chasing pack.

I would like to drop Harmes (for Scott or Sanders) but I think we are already hitting enough changes. I am optimistic that we are still bedding down a new variation of gameplan and that we just need to wait a few more weeks in the hope it clicks, and I don't want to change the lineup too much in fear that would delay the "clicking".

So in:
JUH, Clarke, Liberatore, Baker

Out:
West, Weightman, Daniel, Gallagher to sub.

jeemak
29-04-2024, 10:08 PM
I would get Sanders straight back in and have him play West's role or be the sub, and give Clarke a debut in lieu of Cody being out. Outside of that, Khamis needs to learn to defend at the lower level for a few weeks, with Keath coming in. Libba for Daniel.

In - JUH, Keath, Sanders, Libba and Clarke
Out - Lobb, Khamis, West, Daniel and Weightman

GVGjr
29-04-2024, 10:41 PM
Libba, Clarke, Ugle-Hagan and Sanders coming in
West, Weightman, Lobb and Daniel out

FrediKanoute
29-04-2024, 10:47 PM
First up Vandermeer was great on the weekend, particularly his first half. His pressure was awesome and he more than contributed his share.

Clarke feels like he's been waiting for an opportunity all season, pretty excited to see what he offers as a replacement for Weightman.

Libba in for West. Different roles obviously but we will rejig it and probably just leave Garcia forward even more.

JUH for Lobb.

I really like Baker and would put him in for Daniel as the sub, although Gallagher looks tired so if that is the case Gallagher can be sub and Baker start (or if really tired Scott can be sub). We clearly have nfi how to fix Daniel, so lets come up with something to try at VFL level.

Bramble I think is going ok, we lack movement up field imo which makes his job harder, and I don't think we get better dropping him so we have even less run.

Khamis really showed his weaknesses, and I am still unconvinced he is going to make it (also reluctant to cut him young player slack seeing as this is his 6th year in the system), but he's got just enough credits to hold off the uninspiring chasing pack.

I would like to drop Harmes (for Scott or Sanders) but I think we are already hitting enough changes. I am optimistic that we are still bedding down a new variation of gameplan and that we just need to wait a few more weeks in the hope it clicks, and I don't want to change the lineup too much in fear that would delay the "clicking".

So in:
JUH, Clarke, Liberatore, Baker

Out:
West, Weightman, Daniel, Gallagher to sub.

This is about right for me. Maybe Daniel instead of Baker, taking Wests role.

Mantis
30-04-2024, 12:03 PM
I sort of get the calls for Keath & Gardner to come in to support Jones who is carrying a heavy load, but both Hawthorn & Richmond who we play over the next couple of weeks are both ''small'' in attack so not sure we need the extra height and especially when both are so poor at distributing the ball. Think Richards moving back to defence really helps both in intercepts & ball movement.

Might be a different story for the game to follow against GWS & Sydney who both play 3 talls, but think we back in a smaller group for the next few weeks.

Khamis survives due to previous ok performances, but very keen to get Busslinger into the team.

My team:

B: Duryea, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, JOD, JJ
C: Williams, Treloar, Harmes
HF: Garcia, Naughton, VDM
F: Darcy, JUH, Clarke
R: English, Bont, Libba
Int: Sanders, Khamis, Macrae, Jones
Sub: Bramble

IN: Libba, Jones, Sanders, Clarke, JUH
OUT: West, Weightman, Daniel, Lobb, Gallagher

Scraggers
30-04-2024, 12:06 PM

I like this. Hopefully you’re spot on

angelopetraglia
30-04-2024, 02:17 PM
Mitch Cleary

Hawthorn?s Mitch Lewis will miss at least one more match with knee soreness.
Trained fully last Friday, felt sore Saturday + was a late out Sunday. Scans yesterday showed no major damage, but the Hawks will deload his training and build him up gradually. Reassessed next week.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2024, 02:42 PM
Mitch Cleary

Hawthorn?s Mitch Lewis will miss at least one more match with knee soreness.
Trained fully last Friday, felt sore Saturday + was a late out Sunday. Scans yesterday showed no major damage, but the Hawks will deload his training and build him up gradually. Reassessed next week.

Hawks going to have a not so tall forward line.

EasternWest
30-04-2024, 05:21 PM
Hawks going to have a not so tall forward line.

"Gunston kicks seven in surprise Hawthorn boilover"

Grantysghost
30-04-2024, 06:16 PM
Out: Garcia, Weightman, West, Lobb
In: Libba, McNeil, Jones, Marra

Axe Man
30-04-2024, 06:37 PM
Out: Garcia, Weightman, West, Lobb
In: Libba, McNeil, Jones, Marra

https://i.postimg.cc/63CSypGW/getout.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Go_Dogs
30-04-2024, 07:08 PM

Sounds about right. Two forced changes and two with senior players needing to come back in.

DadBod
30-04-2024, 07:46 PM
For me I've got:
Out - Weightman (Inj), Lobb(omi), CD (omi), West (sus), Gags (Maybe omi)

In - Clarke, Marra, Sanders, Cleary, Libba

Cleary is used as CD distributor.
Sanders comes in for West
Libba to the middle with Garcia off the bench.
Marra for Lobb
Clarke for Weightman

Wouldn't mind seeing Dom get a game too if they drop VDM.

kickit2Koly
30-04-2024, 09:54 PM

these are the changes I’d like to see with Harmes or Gallagher as sub. Sanders needs a full game so I’d rather he played vfl than be sub or subbed again.

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 12:03 PM
Tom Liberatore is expected to return after missing the past fortnight, firstly due to concussion protocols before gastro in Perth ruled him out on Saturday night. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is also set to play for the first time in a fortnight after a personal matter sidelined him. With Cody Weightman injured and Rhylee West suspended, Luke Beveridge might need a small forward and consider Arthur Jones, who has kicked six goals in the VFL this season. Ryley Sanders played a VFL practice match after being dropped for the Fremantle game. – Josh Gabelich

Jeanette54
01-05-2024, 12:05 PM
I don't envy the match committee. We are in the familiar awful position of the same names come in, and the same names go out, and nothing really changes. And, unlike 2016, we are not being cruelled by injury. Is this a situation caused by poor choices when recruiting, or inadequate player development?

angelopetraglia
01-05-2024, 12:06 PM
Mitch Lewis missed again on the weekend, despite being named to play. The Hawks were hopeful the key forward would be available for selection against the Western Bulldogs, especially with Mabior Chol being offered a one-game suspension, but Lewis has been ruled out of the clash, making it five games on the sidelines. Massimo D'Ambrosio was managed against Sydney and should return. Henry Hustwaite was busy at Box Hill, collecting 22 touches and seven tackles, while Josh Ward finished with 21 disposals. Sam Mitchell may consider another key defender to help Hawthorn’s defence, with SSP signing Ethan Phillips performing in the reserves. Calsher Dear has kicked 9.9 across his past four games in the VFL but might need more time before a debut, while Chad Wingard is still a few weeks away despite making a successful return from a ruptured Achilles. – Josh Gabelich

GVGjr
01-05-2024, 01:12 PM
Hawks will likely go with a smaller line-up and there is some talk that Watson could return to the line-up
Moore, Watson, Bruest (if available) and Ginnivan might pose some match-up challenges for our defenders.

bornadog
01-05-2024, 03:29 PM
I bet we only make two changes - Weightman and West out

Axe Man
01-05-2024, 03:44 PM

You think we are going to play 4 tall forwards as Jamarra seems almost certain to return?

bornadog
01-05-2024, 03:54 PM
You think we are going to play 4 tall forwards as Jamarra seems almost certain to return?
Lobb Sub:D

GVGjr
01-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Who do you think will come in?

bornadog
01-05-2024, 05:24 PM
Who do you think will come in?

Libba and Marra, but as Axeman pointed out, probably Lobb is also dropped and hoping to see Clarke get a shot.

I can't see more changes than that but there are some that should be dropped.

Happy Days
01-05-2024, 05:30 PM
From what I saw in the VFL I would absolutely pick Clarke, and I personally would bring in Buss for Buku. I’m gonna keep it 100 with you guys and admit that I probably had a couple too many martinis with dinner on Saturday to accurately assess who else should come out.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-05-2024, 07:44 PM
From what I saw in the VFL I would absolutely pick Clarke, and I personally would bring in Buss for Buku. I’m gonna keep it 100 with you guys and admit that I probably had a couple too many martinis with dinner on Saturday to accurately assess who else should come out.

man at least you had something to get you through that shit show without committing a crime. Whatever gets you through the night...or game as the case may be.

bornadog
02-05-2024, 10:23 AM
Press Conference around 9.30 - listen on Twitter Spaces

hujsh
02-05-2024, 10:50 AM
Press Conference around 9.30 - listen on Twitter Spaces

yuk.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 10:56 AM
Bevo

Libba will OK. Had a bad meal with his son Oscar that didn't allow him to hold down any food on the Friday night.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Bevo

Two important roles to fill with Cody and West not available. We have a lot to consider. We will not show our hand yet. It could be a mid fulfilling that role.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 10:57 AM
Bevo

We are undefeated at the VFL level. However that doesn't mean that everyone is shooting the lights out. We need to reward form.

Happy Days
02-05-2024, 11:00 AM
Bevo

Two important roles to fill with Cody and West not available. We have a lot to consider. We will not show our hand yet. It could be a mid fulfilling that role.

Oh boy

my plums
02-05-2024, 11:04 AM
Yep that sound ominous. Surely Chook will get selected at least…

SquirrelGrip
02-05-2024, 11:08 AM
In: Libba, Marra, Clarke, Sanders

Out: Gallagher (rest), Lobb, Weightman, West

I'd have Sanders playing in West's spot and instructing him that that his key measurements are what he does when we don't have the ball. Defensive pressure, tackling, chasing etc. He has enough talent that when he gets the ball he'll doing something smart with it, but I think it gives him an opportunity to focus on these gaps in his game.

Gallagher I think needs a spell and can come back refreshed next week. Harmes sub.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Bevo

Jamarra should be available for selection. Hoping we can put his name on the board. He was not too far away from playing last week but he had an interrupted preperation. He had to get some momentum in his training. He will play if he gets through training.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 11:26 AM
Bevo

It is new for him. He was a great junior. It just doesn't happen seamlessly. We will keep working with Sanders. When he comes back into the senior team he will be more ready.

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 11:29 AM
Oh boy

https://i.postimg.cc/7h7VjxKk/Screenshot-20240502-102611.png (https://postimg.cc/kRJKbdr1)

bornadog
02-05-2024, 11:30 AM
In: Libba, Marra, Clarke, Sanders

Out: Gallagher (rest), Lobb, Weightman, West

I'd have Sanders playing in West's spot and instructing him that that his key measurements are what he does when we don't have the ball. Defensive pressure, tackling, chasing etc. He has enough talent that when he gets the ball he'll doing something smart with it, but I think it gives him an opportunity to focus on these gaps in his game.

Gallagher I think needs a spell and can come back refreshed next week. Harmes sub.

Sanders won't be playing

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 11:33 AM
From what I heard in the presser. Sanders not playing. Marra and Libba are a lock if they get through training. Not too sure who else comes in, Bevo did not give much away.

Mantis
02-05-2024, 11:47 AM
Bevo

We always get amazing results when we go down that path.

From what I heard in the presser. Sanders not playing. Marra and Libba are a lock if they get through training. Not too sure who else comes in, Bevo did not give much away.

He never does.

I get he wants to keep some cards close to his chest and potentially gain an advantage, but his approach is polar opposite to many of his peers.

SquirrelGrip
02-05-2024, 11:59 AM
Sanders won't be playing

Based on Bevo's press conference you are right. This is what I would do though.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 01:11 PM
Jon Ralph

Charlie Clarke is debuting for the Doggies. Great story. Grew up in Port Melbourne community housing. Will be plenty of the Port Melbourne crew there watching him against the Hawks

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 01:14 PM
Jon Ralph

Charlie Clarke is debuting for the Doggies. Great story. Grew up in Port Melbourne community housing. Will be plenty of the Port Melbourne crew there watching him against the Hawks
Does that define who he is, seriously.

Mantis
02-05-2024, 01:18 PM

I know it would be a hotly contested race to who is the biggest ****wit in the AFL media fraternity, but if Ralphy isn't leading the charge he wouldn't be far off the pace.

Seriously, what a flog.

GVGjr
02-05-2024, 01:20 PM
So here are some thoughts
Clarke trains in the A team so he's in
Khamis in the B team so he's doubtful
Lobb trains in the B teams forward set up rather than the ruck opposed to English so he's on standby for Marra.

The Underdog
02-05-2024, 01:25 PM
I'm both super happy for Clarke that he gets his chance and also not sure I've seen a greater beneficiary of the old Sockeye 20 game rule even before he's played a game.
Good luck to the kid, hope he goes well.

mjp
02-05-2024, 01:35 PM

I don't think it does.

Given the incredibly high percentage of players drafted from private school backgrounds though you can expect it to be a story.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 01:40 PM
I almost teared up watching the video the club just released. He was emotional and looked like he had a great bond with the boys and is well liked.

Go well young man. Can?t wait to see how goes Sunday arvo.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 01:48 PM
https://youtu.be/4qS0uBaxMyU?si=9mwLQv95lklfJSIA

kickit2Koly
02-05-2024, 01:52 PM
awesome to watch

Mitcha
02-05-2024, 01:56 PM
I haven't seen any AFL traits in him as yet but on the back of his emotional response I wish him nothing but the very best on Sunday, best of luck kid.

jeemak
02-05-2024, 02:09 PM
If that doesn't make you smile......

whythelongface
02-05-2024, 02:12 PM
Awesome. How good is that?? Look like a tight knit group.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2024, 02:18 PM
There’s your 2024 bolter right there. Go get em kiddo.

ledge
02-05-2024, 02:34 PM
He looks overawed by it all.

hujsh
02-05-2024, 02:45 PM

It's interesting. An actual point of difference from the swarm of private school kids. I think it's something worth celebrating. He did it the hard way.

I'm sure if he's any good his footy will be what people talk about rather than where he lived

SquirrelGrip
02-05-2024, 02:52 PM
It's interesting. An actual point of difference from the swarm of private school kids. I think it's something worth celebrating. He did it the hard way.

I'm sure if he's any good his footy will be what people talk about rather than where he lived

He still played with them all at Sandy Dragons, including Sanders, Sheezel, Will Ashcroft and Cam McKenzie.

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 02:52 PM

Not sure its relevant, unless he wants it to be (wise rocco thought).

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 02:54 PM
Cmon Charlie he will be a huge fan fav with his enthusiasm and passion.

GVGjr
02-05-2024, 02:57 PM
I haven't seen any AFL traits in him as yet but on the back of his emotional response I wish him nothing but the very best on Sunday, best of luck kid.

I must admit based on what I saw of him at the Coates league level I was very lukewarm when his name was being linked too us prior to the draft. Lets hope he gets an early goal because he does celebrate hard. :)

The Underdog
02-05-2024, 03:05 PM
I must admit based on what I saw of him at the Coates league level I was very lukewarm when his name was being linked too us prior to the draft. Lets hope he gets an early goal because he does celebrate hard. :)

I've seen 2 VFL games live in the last 8 months. At both, I've overheard him shit talking his opponent.
In the game at Casey a few weeks ago, he was having a bit of a push & shove with his opponent, then the ball came in to the 50 and he crumbed and kicked the goal. As he wheeled away, you could just hear him yell "how do you like me now?"
Shit talking may be his most elite AFL skill at this point.

Sedat
02-05-2024, 03:22 PM
I've seen 2 VFL games live in the last 8 months. At both, I've overheard him shit talking his opponent.
In the game at Casey a few weeks ago, he was having a bit of a push & shove with his opponent, then the ball came in to the 50 and he crumbed and kicked the goal. As he wheeled away, you could just hear him yell "how do you like me now?"
I love chirpers, so long as they can back it up on the ground. Jayden Schofield was one of the better chirpers we've had, if only he had an actual game to back it up.

I love that Charlie has a public school/working class background - he will be absolutely dog hungry to succeed. Seeing the video, this opportunity clearly means the world to him - I love that stuff.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 03:31 PM

Agree 100%. It is one of things I love about the game. It's egalitarian.

After spending a fair bit of time in Sydney, there is a different vibe. The rich kids play Union. The working class play league. Melbourne is different. It doesn't matter if you sweep the floor or you are in the boardroom, everyone talks AFL, it is a common language that helps glue society together.

I feel in recent years we have been losing a little bit of this with elite private school boys making up a larger percentage of draftees. We want people from all sections of society continuing to play the game. We want the system to support kids and allow them pathways regardless of their socio-economic background. The game will be much better off for it and I know this is a stretch, but I also think our society is better off for it too. AFL connects this great city of ours in ways other things just don't. We don't want to lose that.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 03:33 PM

Ha. Love this. Hopefully he can back it up with his footy too.

The bulldog tragician
02-05-2024, 03:41 PM

So much of footy has become bland. We hear less and less of the players back stories and individuality…. Im bored to tears with clips of “mic’d up” players at training which tells us zilch but seeing his genuine emotion brought a tear. Go well Charlie.

macca
02-05-2024, 03:58 PM

After spending a fair bit of time in Sydney, there is a different vibe. The rich kids play Union. The working class play league. Melbourne is different. It doesn't matter if you sweep the floor or you are in the boardroom, everyone talks AFL, it is a common language that helps glue society together.

I feel in recent years we have been losing a little bit of this with elite private school boys making up a larger percentage of draftees. We want people from all sections of society continuing to play the game. We want the system to support kids and allow them pathways regardless of their socio-economic background. The game will be much better off for it and I know this is a stretch, but I also think our society is better off for it too. AFL connects this great city of ours in ways other things just don't. We don't want to lose that.

Great points

This is why I feel Buku is a great story from refugee background

Bedendo is a great story, growing up homeless

Clarke is another great story to come out

I hope the game can develop and give people from all walks of life opportunities to play this game.

jeemak
02-05-2024, 04:14 PM
So much of footy has become bland. We hear less and less of the players back stories and individuality…. Im bored to tears with clips of “mic’d up” players at training which tells us zilch but seeing his genuine emotion brought a tear. Go well Charlie.

There's a distinct lack of authenticity or earnestness in AFL media (including what's coming out from the club), so you're absolutely right, when something like this comes along it really stands out.

GVGjr
02-05-2024, 04:17 PM
Great points

I hope the game can develop and give people from all walks of life opportunities to play this game.

You are bang on Macca. It's wonderful to see players come from a variety of pathways to our club and it's particularly nice when they genuinely earn their stripes.

bornadog
02-05-2024, 05:32 PM
Can't wait to see Chook play - exciting stuff

Smads57
02-05-2024, 05:49 PM
I don't think I can do justice to the way I feel about this kid 'making it' having watched him stand on the boundary line at Skinner Reserve during all of the 2023 preseason nursing a lower back injury that cut him off from the rest of the team - a team he had just joined and with people he wasn't getting the opportunity to connect with (as you do with team mates).

He has come on in leaps and bounds working really hard on the track this preseason and in the VFL - both last year and moreso this year. He is the sort of player that will learn and grow the more times he is out on the field.

A great opportunity exists for him in Cody's absence. Onya Chook.

kickit2Koly
02-05-2024, 05:53 PM
Great points

I think you'll find there are lots of these stories we just never hear about them. People assume because most players come from private school they must by well off. The reality is they come from all walks of life and a lot get fully paid scholarships to private schools because they are good at sport, especially in the APS.

Bulldog Joe
02-05-2024, 05:56 PM

Great post AP, but it connects much more than the city.

Footy can connect across all regions and already does right through the Southern to the Western states.

Hotdog60
02-05-2024, 06:43 PM
He was a natural selection for the position and from what I have seen this year he has improved a lot.
I hope he's one of those players that loves the big time and grows more from it.
I want to see the match committee having trouble bringing Cody back in 6-8 weeks wouldn't that be a great problem to have.

Eastdog
02-05-2024, 07:14 PM
https://youtu.be/4qS0uBaxMyU?si=9mwLQv95lklfJSIA

That was great!

Eastdog
02-05-2024, 07:18 PM

Great post AP. Just my opinion I’m probably biased we have the best football code I reckon compared to League, Union and Gridiron in the US.

Love the World Game as well known as association football.

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 07:20 PM
Great post AP, but it connects much more than the city.

Footy can connect across all regions and already does right through the Southern to the Western states.

Yes. Good point. Agree 100%. My own personal bias was coming through when just referring to Melbourne.

bornadog
02-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Sunday 5th May 4pm AEST
Marvel Stadium, Docklands • Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo
B: Bailey Dale, Liam Jones, Ed Richards
HB: Taylor Duryea, Buku Khamis, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harmes
HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Riley Garcia
F: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Charlie Clarke
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
INT: James O’Donnell, Jack Macrae, Lachie Bramble, Harvey Gallagher, Oskar Baker, Rory Lobb, Caleb Poulter, Caleb Daniel
In: Oskar Baker, Caleb Poulter, Tom Liberatore, Charlie Clarke, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Out: Cody Weightman (elbow), Rhylee West

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 07:23 PM
https://youtu.be/WdjGhOexV5g?si=XQA9o3W_N9wR2OCw

hujsh
02-05-2024, 07:30 PM
Sunday 5th May 4pm AEST
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
INT: James O’Donnell, Jack Macrae, Lachie Bramble, Harvey Gallagher, Oskar Baker, Rory Lobb, Caleb Poulter, Caleb Daniel
In: Oskar Baker, Caleb Poulter, Tom Liberatore, Charlie Clarke, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Out: Cody Weightman (elbow), Rhylee West

There are other players I'd have two of TBH

Axe Man
02-05-2024, 07:34 PM

Lol. That should be Harmes on the wing rather than Gallagher.

My guess is Lobb, Baker and Poulter will be the emergencies.

jeemak
02-05-2024, 07:34 PM

He's just a little baby.

azabob
02-05-2024, 07:36 PM
What an awesome down to earth, supportive family the Clarkes are.

bornadog
02-05-2024, 07:46 PM

Straight from Bulldogs app. I just looked at Ins and outs

angelopetraglia
02-05-2024, 07:47 PM
What an awesome down to earth, supportive family the Clarkes are.

"Make sure you come home after training so I can hug you"

These videos never get old.

azabob
02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
So here are some thoughts
Clarke trains in the A team so he's in
Khamis in the B team so he's doubtful
Lobb trains in the B teams forward set up rather than the ruck opposed to English so he's on standby for Marra.

They are onto you G.

Khamis named at CHB and JOD on the extended bench!

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 08:12 PM
The uncle hahahaaaaa.

Being an uncle, who goes to watch my nephew most weeks (he just made the inter league squad - I'm taking the credit) i cant totally feel that reaction!

Grantysghost
02-05-2024, 08:13 PM
They are onto you G.

Khamis named at CHB and JOD on the extended bench!

We can never trust the A squad and B squad reports again. :cool:

bornadog
02-05-2024, 08:20 PM
We can never trust the A squad and B squad reports again. :cool:

Careful GVG may ban you :D

azabob
02-05-2024, 09:00 PM
Careful GVG may ban you :D

It’s ok, GG knows where the tent is.

PR0408
02-05-2024, 09:21 PM
Why would that be?He played same position as Sheezel all year and beat Sheezel in the best and fairest. Ashcroft first Clarke second Sheezel third. Fair company.
My good friend is a Carlton recruiter was a big wrap for him and they were predicting he would go between pick 12-21. Collingwood also tried to trade up to get GWS pick 21 to take Clarke.
Not being in elite pathways he has huge upside.i don?t think we will start seeing him be a consistent afl player though until he is 22/23 a few more pre seasons.

PR0408
02-05-2024, 09:22 PM
I don't think I can do justice to the way I feel about this kid 'making it' having watched him stand on the boundary line at Skinner Reserve during all of the 2023 preseason nursing a lower back injury that cut him off from the rest of the team - a team he had just joined and with people he wasn't getting the opportunity to connect with (as you do with team mates).

He has come on in leaps and bounds working really hard on the track this preseason and in the VFL - both last year and moreso this year. He is the sort of player that will learn and grow the more times he is out on the field.

A great opportunity exists for him in Cody's absence. Onya Chook.

Spot on!!

Bullies
03-05-2024, 02:41 PM
Why would that be?He played same position as Sheezel all year and beat Sheezel in the best and fairest. Ashcroft first Clarke second Sheezel third. Fair company.
My good friend is a Carlton recruiter was a big wrap for him and they were predicting he would go between pick 12-21. Collingwood also tried to trade up to get GWS pick 21 to take Clarke.
Not being in elite pathways he has huge upside.i don?t think we will start seeing him be a consistent afl player though until he is 22/23 a few more pre seasons. They also say he would have gone a lot higher if he had not left school after Year 10 and had come through the private system.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 06:01 PM
AFL Team | Round 8
Sunday 5th May 4pm AEST

C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, James Harmes
INT: James O’Donnell, Jack Macrae, Lachie Bramble, Harvey Gallagher, Oskar Baker
EMG: Rory Lobb, Caleb Poulter, Caleb Daniel

In: Oskar Baker, Tom Liberatore, Charlie Clarke, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
Out: Cody Weightman (elbow), Rhylee West (suspended), Rory Lobb (ommitted), Caleb Daniel (ommitted)

angelopetraglia
03-05-2024, 06:36 PM
HAWTHORN

In: N.Watson, M.D'Ambrosio, J.Ward, C.Dear
Out: M.Chol (suspension), J.Serong (omitted), S.Mitchell (managed), M.Ramsden (omitted)

The Underdog
03-05-2024, 07:36 PM
Chol’s a big loss for us.

Go_Dogs
03-05-2024, 08:01 PM
About what was expected.

Baker the other small forward role, or someone else?

Scraggers
03-05-2024, 08:19 PM
The story behind Calsher Dear debuting for Hawthorn could be a huge spur for the Hawks. It will be interesting to see how we handle it given the losses to Essendon and Freo after their beat-ups.

jeemak
03-05-2024, 09:59 PM
About what was expected.

Baker the other small forward role, or someone else?

Good question. I think he's a good sub candidate or bench wing cover, while Gallagher is also a good sub candidate or wing cover so I think either of these guys will be the sub.

Bevo also said we might use a mid to replace one of West or Weightman during his presser.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 10:00 PM
Bevo also said we might use a mid to replace one of West or Weightman during his presser.

Garcia

kruder
03-05-2024, 10:14 PM
I'm still keen to see Garcia play some midfield, Gags is a better finisher I would play him forward this week.

jeemak
03-05-2024, 10:46 PM
Garcia

No way! Crazy Bevo just named him on the flank knowing he's going to play a floating loose man in defence/ second ruck role! Because he's so crazy and his selections are so bizarre and career ruining.

GVGjr
03-05-2024, 10:53 PM
I hope we have a good plan to curb Sicely and Newcombe.

jeemak
03-05-2024, 10:59 PM

Newcombe is a worry, while I think Sicily might have a bit too much on his hands if we play reasonably well.

With Newcombe he isn't one of those smooth rolled gold players we sometimes respect, he's very much a guy who tears into things, is a bit rough around the edges and can torch us who we never respect.

People put a lot of emphasis on last week and seeing if we were a decent team based on the result. I'm really worried about this week and confirming we're a very ordinary team based on the result. If we lose it will be a next level shit show.

Mofra
04-05-2024, 12:20 AM
West has gone to Sicily the last couple of times.
Baker?

MrMahatma
04-05-2024, 01:52 AM
The story behind Calsher Dear debuting for Hawthorn could be a huge spur for the Hawks. It will be interesting to see how we handle it given the losses to Essendon and Freo after their beat-ups.

Yep. If we lose it’s cause of the emotion behind their debutant.