PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 12 vs Collingwood

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Eleven match against Sydney for our Round Twelve match against Collingwood at Marvel on Friday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
22-05-2024, 11:05 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
23-05-2024, 10:37 PM
In:

Lobb, JOD, Sanders, Cleary, others

Out:

Naughton, Ed, Scott, Gags, Freijah, Bramble

Happy Days
23-05-2024, 11:28 PM
In:

Lobb, JOD, Sanders, Cleary, others

Out:

Naughton, Ed, Scott, Gags, Freijah, Bramble

You can’t be serious.

Out: Harmes btw

Raels_d
23-05-2024, 11:31 PM
I thought Freijah did really well for his 2nd game oh

bulldogtragic
23-05-2024, 11:31 PM
You can’t be serious.

Out: Harmes btw

I thought Harmes fought through his hard tag well.

I did that an hour ago.

The injuries and possibly Freijah.

Lobb, Sanders into the 22, JOD and maybe Poulter if his form is ok. Freijah looks a talent, but I’d strongly him out or to the sub.

Testekill
23-05-2024, 11:35 PM
Oooof, a lot of outs needed today. The forced outs as a starter, there are a number of players that could do with a rest but I wouldn't want to do too many. I would drop Bramble for Cleary though and I will continue to harp on this.

In:

Lobb, Sanders, Poulter

Out:

Naughton, Richards, Scott

westbulldog
23-05-2024, 11:45 PM
Out
Naughton Richards Scott Bramble Keath (turns slower than the Titanic in 1st gear, Collingwood will destroy him).

In
Lobb Cleary Sanders Busslinger Khamis (forward)

Play the kids we aren't in contention this year.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 12:02 AM
No Cody, Naughton, Libba, Richards and Baz, A decent amount of class missing. It?s going to be tough.

I can take the loss tonight, but the injuries are gut wrenching.

Dry Rot
24-05-2024, 01:05 AM
No Cody, Naughton, Libba, Richards and Baz, A decent amount of class missing. It?s going to be tough.

The pies have not had a great run with injuries either.

kruder
24-05-2024, 01:26 AM

If Naughty somehow avoids an ACL it will be our biggest win in a few years. Fingers crossed!!!

FrediKanoute
24-05-2024, 01:27 AM
I think the Vanders 50 is line ball.

He is a fraction late.

I get why its paid. I think we got one last week which was similar and if anything harsher on GWS. If I am being critical - dumb football by VDM, just needed to slow and impede the play on.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 01:30 AM

He is a fraction late.

I get why its paid. I think we got one last week which was similar and if anything harsher on GWS. If I am being critical - dumb football by VDM, just needed to slow and impede the play on.

I think that is harsh on VDM. We are talking split seconds. The one last week against GWS was a mistake too. This one was also a mistake. Even the one against Bont was too harsh in my opinion. The contact was minimal and Amarty just dropped the ball like it was a hot potato. We are encouraging players to play for 50m penalties. Goals are hard to find in AFL football. We should not be gifting them from those type of incidents. It was innocous for the Bont call and most people didn't think it was there for VDM. Two goals from nothing.

GVGjr
24-05-2024, 08:30 AM
It's going to be hard to know who to bring in until Footscray play on Saturday but there will be a few players keen to impress.

Bullies
24-05-2024, 08:48 AM

He is a fraction late.

I get why its paid. I think we got one last week which was similar and if anything harsher on GWS. If I am being critical - dumb football by VDM, just needed to slow and impede the play on. It was a totally wrong decision by the umpire what ever way you look at it. Not even line ball. Just shows how bad umpiring is at the moment. It stopped momentum.Get rid of 4 umpires.

G-Mo77
24-05-2024, 09:04 AM
Will Libba be available?

bulldogtragic
24-05-2024, 09:26 AM
Will Libba be available?

Not based on the last update.

Testekill
24-05-2024, 10:08 AM
Will Libba be available?

Not till the week after

ReLoad
24-05-2024, 10:13 AM
The Bramble shambles has to end.

Ive got no idea what the club sees in him, he is constantly getting caught holding the ball, isn't that great a kick and doesn't provide anything off the ball.

Were better off putting 10 games into Cleary and learning more about him as a footballer.

Out:
Scott, Naughton, Richards (all inj) Bramble

In:
Lobb, Cleary, Sanders, JOD.

And id have cleary as the sub.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 10:18 AM

He is a fraction late.

Worse decision I have seen in football for a very long time. No it is not line ball. The rule was brought in to stop time wasters and holding players up. VDM was jumping in the air as the ball came down and hit the ball as it was marked. Ruined the game with 8 points in it and still minutes to go.

Sedat
24-05-2024, 10:22 AM
Worse decision I have seen in football for a very long time. No it is not line ball. The rule was brought in to stop time wasters and holding players up. VDM was jumping in the air as the ball came down and hit the ball as it was marked. Ruined the game with 8 points in it and still minutes to go.
Clearly it's rule of the week - they were red hot on it all night. As an aside, it is idiotic that there is even a concept like rule of the week. What sort of pissant competition has wildly fluctuating variations in interpretation of their own rules week to week?

I don't blame the umpires - they are doing exactly as instructed. This is all on the AFEL.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2024, 10:30 AM

Yeah. Look i don't think it cost us the game. I don't think we were going to get 2 more goals. We were legless. But I didn't think we'd pull it back to 8pts either so you never know.

But that decision was deplorable. At 0-0 it's deplorable. How many games have been decided by shocking umpiring decisions this year? It's out of control. The league is being destroyed by too many rules with varying interpretations. Although this one in particular was just a shit call.

Were there 7 50s paid last night? 5 against us?

bornadog
24-05-2024, 10:31 AM
Clearly it's rule of the week - they were red hot on it all night. As an aside, it is idiotic that there is even a concept like rule of the week. What sort of pissant competition has wildly fluctuating variations in interpretation of their own rules week to week?

I don't blame the umpires - they are doing exactly as instructed. This is all on the AFEL.

The first 50m against Bont was also rubbish. Players milk it by dropping the ball when the player hardly touches them.

I really hate the AFL and the way it is administered.

Scorlibo
24-05-2024, 10:46 AM
The first 50m against Bont was also rubbish. Players milk it by dropping the ball when the player hardly touches them.

I really hate the AFL and the way it is administered.

I felt the Bont one was probably there but he was unlucky in that he seemed to just be trying to guard the mark and accidentally made contact with the pill.

What irritates me is that the umpires are red hot on the ball knocked out of the hands fifty metre penalty, but don't give a rats arse how quickly play resumes in other situations. The opposition player has the ball? Happy to have them feign ignorance about who has the mark/fk. Refer Blakey on Darcy. The ball is on the ground? Give ample time for everyone to get to their feet, they must be sore. If a free kick is paid on the ground it's about half as useful as in other situations because you can bank on play being held up long enough for the opposition to get fully setup behind the ball.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 10:50 AM
I felt the Bont one was probably there but he was unlucky in that he seemed to just be trying to guard the mark and accidentally made contact with the pill.

What irritates me is that the umpires are red hot on the ball knocked out of the hands fifty metre penalty, but don't give a rats arse how quickly play resumes in other situations. The opposition player has the ball? Happy to have them feign ignorance about who has the mark/fk. Refer Blakey on Darcy. The ball is on the ground? Give ample time for everyone to get to their feet, they must be sore. If a free kick is paid on the ground it's about half as useful as in other situations because you can bank on play being held up long enough for the opposition to get fully setup behind the ball.

Amarty dropped it on purpose like a hot potato. Very harsh on Bont.

MrMahatma
24-05-2024, 10:52 AM
The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Maybe bring back the 15mtr penalty.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2024, 10:54 AM

Last night in the last 2 or 3 minutes when the Swans were chipping it around - the umps seemed to give each mark a lot more time than they typically do at the end of the game. Even BT mentioned it. It was weird. It really did feel like the umps were doing everything to get the swans the win.

Grantysghost
24-05-2024, 11:00 AM
The Bramble shambles has to end.

Ive got no idea what the club sees in him, he is constantly getting caught holding the ball, isn't that great a kick and doesn't provide anything off the ball.

Were better off putting 10 games into Cleary and learning more about him as a footballer.

Out:
Scott, Naughton, Richards (all inj) Bramble

In:
Lobb, Cleary, Sanders, JOD.

And id have cleary as the sub.

He certainly creates a lot of angst amongst supporters.
I see it differently. He works hard, both ways, is a dilligent role player and is on minimum chips investment wise.

We want hard workers, well they don't work any harder than Lachie. His run down tackle to save a goal in the third was brilliant.

Sometimes as fans we need to look at what players can do more often than what they can't.

He covered more distance than everyone except CD last night.

I look at higher paid more fancied types like Williams before I do the essnetial work horses like Bramble.

Respect fans opinion on him, I just think he does what the box says.

G-Mo77
24-05-2024, 11:08 AM
Do we bring Lobb in or leave it for just JUH and Darcy?

Mantis
24-05-2024, 11:14 AM

A big no from me... as per another thread Bont plays more forward and others (Garcia, Sanders & West) play more in the midfield.

Axe Man
24-05-2024, 11:23 AM

Would Buku or Bedendo as medium forward be worth a try instead?

Sedat
24-05-2024, 11:26 AM
A big no from me... as per another thread Bont plays more forward and others (Garcia, Sanders & West) play more in the midfield.
Darcy is improving at a rapid rate but he needs another bigger body to chop out up forward - last night proved he's not quite ready physically to handle being double and triple teamed, which is what will happen every week that Naughts is out. We're going to gas him if we don't bring another seasoned aerial target in.

Mantis
24-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Darcy is improving at a rapid rate but he needs another bigger body to chop out up forward - last night proved he's not quite ready physically to handle being double and triple teamed, which is what will happen every week that Naughts is out. We're going to gas him if we don't bring another seasoned aerial target in.

So, when Darcy needs a rest from the team when he's gassed, we bring in Lobb.

I feel we become too top heavy with Lobb replacing Naughton.

Sedat
24-05-2024, 11:51 AM

Lobb has a pretty big tank and has the capacity to do the Naughton higher-up role (obviously not quite to the same level but still more than competent enough). JUH or Darcy don't have that in them yet - I fear our forward structure will break down if we are relying solely on JUH and Darcy as our targets up forward (it broke down a bit in the 2nd/3rd qtrs last night). Also we have been training all off-season with the 3-headed monster up forward, so our players have continuity in game style.

I'm happy with Bont spending more time in F50 and continuing to alter the mix of our mids like we did last night - I just don't think it should be at the expense of a 3rd tall target when the 2 fit ones are still young and not physically strong enough for 120 minutes each week. Bont is not a liability when it hits the deck either. Our 3 talls are a point of difference to the competition, and it would be extremely difficult to re-train the playing group to change mid-stream.

PR0408
24-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Agree. About to top heavy. With Lobb Darcy and Marra. Pies will destroy us.

mjp
24-05-2024, 02:14 PM

C'mon mate. He was unlucky but that's a clear 50. Ball knocked out of his hands after a mark - prevents him playing on...that's 50m every day of the week.

Bont knew it as well.

mjp
24-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Agree. About to top heavy. With Lobb Darcy and Marra. Pies will destroy us.

Not if they catch it.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-05-2024, 02:53 PM
Not if they catch it.

Are you confident they'd catch it enough?

I'm not.

mighty_west
24-05-2024, 03:01 PM

Agree, i feel Lobb can really only replace Darcy or English unless he had a crash course in how to defend and play down back, which won't happen.

Sedat
24-05-2024, 03:03 PM

I'm not.
How did JUH and Darcy go in the last 20 mins of Q2 and the whole of Q3 last night? We forget they are both still young in key position terms (especially Darcy) and don't yet have the core strength to compete aerially for a full 120 minutes, let alone against 2-3 opponents at any given time.

I reckon we need one of Lobb or English up forward to help out Darcy and JUH, which will make them even more dangerous - it stops the oppo from double and triple teaming these 2 like they did in the middle part of the game last night. We need the small forwards to step up to lock it in - Naughts is a bit of an outlier in the competition as a KPF with his amazing defensive ethic and ability at ground level.

Lobb is really not rated by our supporters. He is a very capable AFL forward/ruck and a hardened AFL player with a good engine to get to multiple contests and also help English in ruck (Darcy understandably is a bit of a liability at ruck contests). The next 6 weeks is exactly when we need him.

mjp
24-05-2024, 03:22 PM

I'm not.

No - I'm not really...but if we don't select Lobb now then what exactly is he at the club for.

We have a large number of "capable" tall forwards. Collingwood have a LOW number of "capable" AFL defenders.

I wish we Naughts who is the best of them but we don't...we still gotta lean into what we do have. If we had capable smalls I would say we should lean into them...but we don't.

Danjul
24-05-2024, 03:38 PM
He certainly creates a lot of angst amongst supporters.
I see it differently. He works hard, both ways, is a dilligent role player and is on minimum chips investment wise.

We want hard workers, well they don't work any harder than Lachie. His run down tackle to save a goal in the third was brilliant.

Sometimes as fans we need to look at what players can do more often than what they can't.

He covered more distance than everyone except CD last night.

I look at higher paid more fancied types like Williams before I do the essnetial work horses like Bramble.

Respect fans opinion on him, I just think he does what the box says.

I find that Bramble highlights one of our major problems. When he gets the ball he runs. Then he finds there has been no movement up the field. No good options. He is a 35 metre ahead type player and our game plan doesn?t operate on that basis. If it did we would have won comfortably last night. He should learn from Daniel, look first before you commit.

Rocco Jones
24-05-2024, 04:07 PM
I would play Lobb but we might need to change things up a tad.

Lobb looks okay leading up. He isn't explosive or agile but he has a good tank.

I would play English forward more and use having three rucks. Maybe rolling with what's going well a bit more than being locked in.

If there are no injuries, we can also tactically sub out Lobb or Darcy.

lemmon
24-05-2024, 04:11 PM
How did JUH and Darcy go in the last 20 mins of Q2 and the whole of Q3 last night? We forget they are both still young in key position terms (especially Darcy) and don't yet have the core strength to compete aerially for a full 120 minutes, let alone against 2-3 opponents at any given time.

I reckon we need one of Lobb or English up forward to help out Darcy and JUH, which will make them even more dangerous - it stops the oppo from double and triple teaming these 2 like they did in the middle part of the game last night. We need the small forwards to step up to lock it in - Naughts is a bit of an outlier in the competition as a KPF with his amazing defensive ethic and ability at ground level.

Lobb is really not rated by our supporters. He is a very capable AFL forward/ruck and a hardened AFL player with a good engine to get to multiple contests and also help English in ruck (Darcy understandably is a bit of a liability at ruck contests). The next 6 weeks is exactly when we need him.

I think everything you've said is true - and playing Lobb would help Marra and Darcy in the air, as well as English in the ruck - but I'm not sure that disputes the argument that others are making.

Naughton chases and pressures as well as our smalls, and is very good below his knees for a guy that size. Marra brings some of that, but nowhere near the level of Naughton - Lobb and Darcy bring none and are liabilities when opposition defenders have ball in hand.

I just don't think you can get away with the lack of pressure and the lack of ability to win a ground ball that occurs when you have Lobb and Darcy in the same forward-line. Especially against the Pies who'll win it back at ground level and sweep it away faster than any side in the competition.

If we feel like we need extra experience to cover for Naughton, then bring in Lobb for Darcy. If we feel like we need the extra third tall up there, I'd play Bont (or maybe Bedendo) in the Naughton role. But I think we can get away with playing the three talls at the moment, purely because Naughton brings what he brings when the ball isn't in the air.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 05:13 PM
C'mon mate. He was unlucky but that's a clear 50. Ball knocked out of his hands after a mark - prevents him playing on...that's 50m every day of the week.

Bont knew it as well.

That rule was brought in for a different reason ie purposely wasting time - this was pure accident and Amarty should have held the ball.

A massive penalty for what it is. These sort of things is why footy is a joke sometimes.
The VDM one - the umpire didn't even blow the whistle for a mark and yet he gives 50m penalty on a split second.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOUrWloaoAAAT4L?format=png&name=900x900

Curly5
24-05-2024, 05:20 PM

Bont knew it as well.

Swans coached to let go of the ball easily if the opponent gets too close. Happened more than once.

mjp
24-05-2024, 05:41 PM
Swans coached to let go of the ball easily if the opponent gets too close. Happened more than once.

Cool. Don't get too close then.

Seems pretty bloody simple to me. Run in with your arms UP or OUT - why you would put them anywhere near the footy in this situation is anyones guess....if Amartey had been half looking to hb/play on in d50 - go for it. On the f50 line with the goals beckoning? Got to be smarter than that.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 06:01 PM

Seems pretty bloody simple to me. Run in with your arms UP or OUT - why you would put them anywhere near the footy in this situation is anyones guess....if Amartey had been half looking to hb/play on in d50 - go for it. On the f50 line with the goals beckoning? Got to be smarter than that.

why wasn't this 50

https://x.com/TheMissionMan/status/1793796781622579443

Happy Days
24-05-2024, 06:34 PM
Footy isn’t a tax return. It’s not a multi billion dollar industry because the fans who support it are foaming at the mouth to see correct adjudications. Sometimes umpires need to know when to piss off.

The bulldog tragician
24-05-2024, 07:53 PM

The Swans defenders hung off him and often not only double teamed him but stood facing him so he couldn?t run. It felt kind of illegal and in some sort of grey area of what constitutes a block.

The bulldog tragician
24-05-2024, 07:54 PM
why wasn't this 50

https://x.com/TheMissionMan/status/1793796781622579443

Hadn’t seen that. No consistency whatsoever.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 09:48 PM
Hadn’t seen that. No consistency whatsoever.

Proves pathetic umpiring

jDogs
25-05-2024, 12:02 AM
Mihocek went out of the game with hamstring awareness so you'd think he probably misses next week.

jeemak
25-05-2024, 12:22 AM
I was furious with Bont when he gave away that fifty. It was just one step behind Garcia against the Saints last year unnecessary and a complete lapse in concentration. He had no business putting his hand on the ball and he knew it.

bornadog
25-05-2024, 12:34 AM
I was furious with Bont when he gave away that fifty. It was just one step behind Garcia against the Saints last year unnecessary and a complete lapse in concentration. He had no business putting his hand on the ball and he knew it.

What is worse is the kick that was meant to him went straight to the Swans player. Bad turnover from the youngster.

FrediKanoute
25-05-2024, 03:10 AM

I'm with you on this one. Sh*t umpiring decision, but equally dumb footy.

soupman
25-05-2024, 07:57 AM
What is worse is the kick that was meant to him went straight to the Swans player. Bad turnover from the youngster.

I'm much more forgiving of a skill error, no matter how bad, than a careless action that gives away a needless 50.

macca
25-05-2024, 09:34 AM
My prediction, surprise packet in : Trent Bianco after successful mid-season draft.

LifeLongBulldog
25-05-2024, 10:22 AM
Great prediction. That would definitely be a Bevo move. Playing your first game straight away after the draft and against his old side.

mighty_west
25-05-2024, 11:00 AM

No, all players have skill errors, even the great players Ablett Jnr, Dusty, Bont etc etc, but your captain just doing that was just dumb and he knew it straight away.

Rocco Jones
25-05-2024, 12:16 PM
Going back to playing Lobb, the Pies have got Dean, Frampton and Moore. I'd play Lobb in part to create a target to making it harder for Moore to play looser and take intercept marks.

jeemak
25-05-2024, 02:01 PM

I hate simple skill errors as much as the next person, but giving away a needless fifty and exacerbating an error makes me much more annoyed.

angelopetraglia
25-05-2024, 02:19 PM
Could Jordan Croft get a look in before Lobb? Has been impressive in the VFL so far.

bornadog
25-05-2024, 02:22 PM
Could Jordan Croft get a look in before Lobb? Has been impressive in the VFL so far.
Not much of him

bornadog
25-05-2024, 02:23 PM
I hate simple skill errors as much as the next person, but giving away a needless fifty and exacerbating an error makes me much more annoyed.
Just like many rules this one is another misinterpretated

angelopetraglia
25-05-2024, 02:27 PM
Half time

Croft 8 touches. 4 mark marks. 2 contested marks. 1 goal. 1 point.

Lobb 9 touches. 3 marks. 2 contested marks. 1 goal.

Happy Days
25-05-2024, 02:33 PM
Lobb was having significantly more influence and making his own chances. Croft was encouraging but largely getting on the end of good work.

angelopetraglia
25-05-2024, 02:35 PM
Lobb was having significantly more influence and making his own chances. Croft was encouraging but largely getting on the end of good work.

Agree with that. However, easier to get involved when you are having stints in the ruck.

bornadog
25-05-2024, 05:35 PM
Look who was in the house talking to the coaches

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOZkbm2bcAIV0VT?format=jpg&name=900x900

azabob
25-05-2024, 05:59 PM
Look who was in the house talking to the coaches

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOZkbm2bcAIV0VT?format=jpg&name=900x900

They have been friends for a number of years, along with Brian Goorjian.

bornadog
25-05-2024, 06:12 PM
Out: Naughton, Richards, Scott

In: JOD, Lobb, Poulter

ledge
25-05-2024, 08:36 PM
They have been friends for a number of years, along with Brian Goorjian.

Weren’t Tottenham at the pies training or visa versa during the week ?

azabob
25-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Weren’t Tottenham at the pies training or visa versa during the week ?

No idea mate.

ledge
25-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Out: Naughton, Richards, Scott

In: JOD, Lobb, Poulter

Who is JOD coming in for ? None of the backs are out?
We lost a mid a hard runner and a forward.
Unless Bevo drops a back I can’t see him coming in.

azabob
25-05-2024, 08:42 PM
Who is JOD coming in for ? None of the backs are out?
We lost a mid a hard runner and a forward.
Unless Bevo drops a back I can’t see him coming in.

Technically Daniel replaced O’Donnell last week, who was in our selected 22 last week.

So JOD is in for Scott.

mighty_west
25-05-2024, 09:03 PM
Technically Daniel replaced O’Donnell last week, who was in our selected 22 last week.

So JOD is in for Scott.

Do we need the three key defenders? Mason Cox is out with concussion and Mihocek a hammy, Kreuger will most likely come in so too Ash Johnson who is only 193cm, maybe a case of JOD for Keath as i can't really see an ideal match for Keath, unless Keath plays on the resting ruck (Kreuger/Cameron) and Jones plays loose?

azabob
25-05-2024, 09:06 PM
Do we need the three key defenders? Mason Cox is out with concussion and Mihocek a hammy, Kreuger will most likely come in so too Ash Johnson who is only 193cm, maybe a case of JOD for Keath as i can't really see an ideal match for Keath, unless Keath plays on the resting ruck (Kreuger/Cameron) and Jones plays loose?

It is something to consider. JOD has played small previously.

In general our structure is 3 key defenders and 3 key forwards and we tend not to stray from that set up.

Happy Days
25-05-2024, 09:20 PM
Scott came in to specifically tag Gulden. Went straight to him at the first bounce and followed him everywhere as long as he was on the ground.

Don’t think we need to go like for like to replace him.

PR0408
26-05-2024, 09:34 PM
We wanting Lobb in still??
Personally I didn?t want Lobb Darcy and JUH in the fwd half our fwd half pressure would be non existent.
I think McNeil deserves a chance. Not sure where JOD is at. Cliz maybe if JOD not available.
One of my favourites Clarke was apparently out from illness and has been one of our most consistent VFL performers this season and he will bring some pressure.
Poulter also been fairly good at VFL level.
I think we can be dangerous with Marra and Darcy/English fwd.

B- Doc-Jones-Bramble
HB- Dale Keath-freijah
C- Williams-Treloar-Gags
HF-VDM-Marra-Harmes
F- West-Darcy-Garcia
R-English-Bont-Sanders
Int Macrae, McNeil CD.Clarke
JOD/Cliz/ Poulter

Hotdog60
27-05-2024, 06:52 AM
We wanting Lobb in still??
Personally I didn?t want Lobb Darcy and JUH in the fwd half our fwd half pressure would be non existent.
I think McNeil deserves a chance. Not sure where JOD is at. Cliz maybe if JOD not available.
One of my favourites Clarke was apparently out from illness and has been one of our most consistent VFL performers this season and he will bring some pressure.
Poulter also been fairly good at VFL level.
I think we can be dangerous with Marra and Darcy/English fwd.

B- Doc-Jones-Bramble
HB- Dale Keath-freijah
C- Williams-Treloar-Gags
HF-VDM-Marra-Harmes
F- West-Darcy-Garcia
R-English-Bont-Sanders
Int Macrae, McNeil CD.Clarke
JOD/Cliz/ Poulter

On Cleary although he was involved a fair bit last weekend his game was average as far as he's disposals go.
I can't trust McNeil if he is in the forward line to either not make the distance or the goal from 30 meters out just kills team momentum.
Send Bont to play more forward I would give Buss a taste may be sub and Poulter to play against his old club you will need a bit of two way running against the wobbles.

Mantis
27-05-2024, 08:13 AM
I don?t want Macrae playing this week. Maybe injuries save him, but under the roof he?s out of place.

In fast conditions his ability to move the ball on quickly, kick it through the air quickly and defend is poor. Based on what we saw late against Sydney he should be about 8 back for a midfield rotation too.

He can play in conditions that suit, but he isn?t someone who should play at Marvel, especially against Collingwood.

Bullies
27-05-2024, 08:25 AM
I don?t want Macrae playing this week. Maybe injuries save him, but under the roof he?s out of place.

In fast conditions his ability to move the ball on quickly, kick it through the air quickly and defend is poor. Based on what we saw late against Sydney he should be about 8 back for a midfield rotation too.

He can play in conditions that suit, but he isn?t someone who should play at Marvel, especially against Collingwood. He is looking slower each week especially against the quicker sides like Swans. His tackles aren't even sticking at the moment. You can't play both he and Daniel in the same side. We will get torched on the spread.

Danjul
27-05-2024, 12:21 PM
He is looking slower each week especially against the quicker sides like Swans. His tackles aren't even sticking at the moment. You can't play both he and Daniel in the same side. We will get torched on the spread.
Macrae has averaged 4 tackles a game over the last 5 games, down from earlier games. For comparison Gallagher has Freijah have averaged 2. That is why he is in our top five for tackles despite not playing in all games and reduced playing time.

He has more disposals at higher efficiency than the younger players.

We get torched on the spread because we play the long way round, hemmed in on the boundary line. The opposition always have 2 players ready to take the ball down the middle. Even then Sydney had six less scoring shots (even with umpire assistance).

The adjustments which will have us consistently winning have nothing to do with Macrae. Maybe next year.

angelopetraglia
27-05-2024, 03:38 PM
mmmm when the club highlights an individual player's highlights in the VFL, there is normally a high correlation that they get picked to play in the AFL team

"Jordan Croft kicked 3 goals in the Scray's thrilling win over Port Melbourne on Saturday"

Link: https://x.com/westernbulldogs/status/1794938083143712808

hujsh
27-05-2024, 03:45 PM
mmmm when the club highlights an individual player's highlights in the VFL, there is normally a high correlation that they get picked to play in the AFL team

"Jordan Croft kicked 3 goals in the Scray's thrilling win over Port Melbourne on Saturday"

I was thinking he's kind of the closest match we have to Naughton with his weird athletic profile as far as someone that can cover ground defensively and be an aerial threat but dismissed it as being too early. TBH it probably is but maybe he gets a taste anyway?

Bulldog Joe
27-05-2024, 04:20 PM

While Croft is showing some promise he is miles off.

I will be amazed if he gets picked this week.

If we were no chance of getting to the pointy end it might be something we would do but not at this stage.

Watching the VFL, Busslinger is the one putting his hand up if a position becomes available.

EasternWest
27-05-2024, 05:56 PM
While Croft is showing some promise he is miles off.

I will be amazed if he gets picked this week.

If we were no chance of getting to the pointy end it might be something we would do but not at this stage.

Watching the VFL, Busslinger is the one putting his hand up if a position becomes available.

I think we need to make the position available for Busslinger.

Mantis
27-05-2024, 06:15 PM
I think we need to make the position available for Busslinger.

How do we manage that?

JanLorMill
27-05-2024, 06:28 PM

Picking Croft in a must win game on the back of 1 good vfl game against a top 8 side is madness.
That would be akin to giving up on 2024

bornadog
27-05-2024, 06:40 PM
Collingwood injuries

Mason Cox has been ruled out for 6 weeks with MCL injury. Joe Richards has a foot fracture and won’t return before Rd 16. Brody Mihocek to miss 2-4 weeks with hamstring strain. Jordan De Goey out for another month. Full details on

JanLorMill
27-05-2024, 06:50 PM
Just a hit man for Nick Daicos now.

kruder
27-05-2024, 06:57 PM
Gotta win this game boys and girls, the season is on the line.

SquirrelGrip
27-05-2024, 07:11 PM
Does Bevo reach in to his weird and wonderful bag of magic tricks and play JOD as a defensive tall forward?

angelopetraglia
27-05-2024, 07:17 PM
Pies with some injury concerns of their own.

Jamie Elliott ? vascular issue (Rounds 13-16)
Will Hoskin-Elliott ? hamstring (Round 13)
Josh Eyre ? hamstring (Round 13)
Tom Mitchell ? foot (Round 13-16)
Aiden Begg ? PCL (Season)
Josh Carmichael - concussion (TBC)
Oscar Steene ? toe (Round 18+)
Dan McStay ? ACL (Return to match play training post-Round 15 bye)
Mason Cox ? knee (Round 18)
Brody Mihocek ? hamstring (Round 14-16)
Jordan De Goey ? groin (Round 14)
Joe Richards ? foot (Round 16-17)

So key players missing Friday night. No Elliott, Hoskin-Elliott, Mitchell, Cox, Mihocek and DeGoey.

Jack Bytel (concussion) and Jeremy Howe (groin) are expected to be available for Friday night?s clash against the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium. Reef McInnes (concussion) could also be available if he gets through his concussion protocols, although the club didn?t include the forward in the ?to be assessed this week? section of the report.

They will be missing eight 2023 Premiership players by my count on Friday night.

Murphy
Mihocek
Elliott
DeGoey
Cox
Mitchell
Hosking-Elliott
Ginnivan

bornadog
27-05-2024, 07:43 PM
Pies with some injury concerns of their own.

Jamie Elliott ? vascular issue (Rounds 13-16)
Will Hoskin-Elliott ? hamstring (Round 13)
Josh Eyre ? hamstring (Round 13)
Tom Mitchell ? foot (Round 13-16)
Aiden Begg ? PCL (Season)
Josh Carmichael - concussion (TBC)
Oscar Steene ? toe (Round 18+)
Dan McStay ? ACL (Return to match play training post-Round 15 bye)
Mason Cox ? knee (Round 18)
Brody Mihocek ? hamstring (Round 14-16)
Jordan De Goey ? groin (Round 14)
Joe Richards ? foot (Round 16-17)

So key players missing Friday night. No Elliott, Hoskin-Elliott, Mitchell, Cox, Mihocek and DeGoey.

Jack Bytel (concussion) and Jeremy Howe (groin) are expected to be available for Friday night?s clash against the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium. Reef McInnes (concussion) could also be available if he gets through his concussion protocols, although the club didn?t include the forward in the ?to be assessed this week? section of the report.

They will be missing eight 2023 Premiership players by my count on Friday night.

Murphy
Mihocek
Elliott
DeGoey
Cox
Mitchell
Hosking-Elliott
Ginnivan

Good. A must win or goodbye season

EasternWest
27-05-2024, 08:44 PM
How do we manage that?

Trade jeemak

Ozza
27-05-2024, 09:08 PM
Picking Croft in a must win game on the back of 1 good vfl game against a top 8 side is madness.
That would be akin to giving up on 2024

No selection move would ever be more "Bevo" than that.
Expect him to play.

Ozza
27-05-2024, 09:13 PM
Outs: Richards, Naughton, Scott
Ins: Sanders, Baker, and ummmm I guess maybe Bedendo.

I'm not playing Lobb, personally.

Bullies
28-05-2024, 10:50 AM
Would Lobb have been told that he is not in the mix for selection this week which is why the leak of him leaving has come out?

Axe Man
28-05-2024, 11:05 AM
Cox out is a blow,

to us.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2024, 11:12 AM
Cox out is a blow,

to us.

As ridiculed as Cox is, I think the R2/fwd role is a difficult one and they don't have tall forwards, which can make it even a harder one for him. He isn't much but I think he is a rung over their next option Krueger.

GVGjr
28-05-2024, 11:28 AM
Would Lobb have been told that he is not in the mix for selection this week which is why the leak of him leaving has come out?

I doubt it. They won't make any decisions on the team to play Collingwood until after tomorrow's sessions.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2024, 12:51 PM
I think Lobb is a guy who sees footy purely as a job. Might be a good thing in this current situation. His best ever season was when he was done with Freo.

Rocco Jones
28-05-2024, 04:57 PM
In: Lobb, JOD, Baker (sub)
Out: Naughts, Libba, Scott (inj)

I definitely see why some of your are hesitant to play Lobb and maybe you're right. There is a risk of being a bit top heavy but for mine, I don't like our smaller options enough to not go with Lobb. If Ed or Libba were right, I'd probably not want Lobb in. I'd share the ruck a bit more and have English spend more time forward if we want a bit more mobility.

The Pie Man
28-05-2024, 08:23 PM

He can play in conditions that suit, but he isn’t someone who should play at Marvel, especially against Collingwood.

He looks to handball backwards an awful lot, and often either turns it over or brings pressure on the receiver that wasn’t necessary.

Will play this week though surely

Bullies
28-05-2024, 09:01 PM
In: Lobb, JOD, Baker (sub)
Out: Naughts, Libba, Scott (inj)

I definitely see why some of your are hesitant to play Lobb and maybe you're right. There is a risk of being a bit top heavy but for mine, I don't like our smaller options enough to not go with Lobb. If Ed or Libba were right, I'd probably not want Lobb in. I'd share the ruck a bit more and have English spend more time forward if we want a bit more mobility.
The other thing in our favor with Lobb is that he needs to start playing out of his skin to get the attention of clubs. It's in his own interest to play well.

meenies
28-05-2024, 09:30 PM
The other thing in our favor with Lobb is that he needs to start playing out of his skin to get the attention of clubs. It's in his own interest to play well.
Agreed, especially against prospective suitors like Collingwood, Melbourne, …
Play him in those games

The Adelaide Connection
29-05-2024, 12:08 AM
I heard Jeremy Howe might be back in- would they be tempted to swing him forward?

Bullies
29-05-2024, 08:23 AM
I heard Jeremy Howe might be back in- would they be tempted to swing him forward? I think his days of playing forward are done. They tried it early in the season and he is not the same player he was earlier in his career. Prefers to be unaccountable down back.

Mantis
29-05-2024, 08:55 AM
He looks to handball backwards an awful lot, and often either turns it over or brings pressure on the receiver that wasn?t necessary.

Will play this week though surely

He just isn't the same player he once was, which is sad. He pretty much has as no agility so plays sidestep him with ease and his floating kicks lack penetration and really show out with the game being so fast paced.

With the inclusion/improvement of Sanders, Garcia, West & Gallagher it feels like he's hanging on by a thread and only our injuries are ensuring he plays each week.

Hoping he can bring his absolute best this week if (when) selected.

angelopetraglia
29-05-2024, 10:47 AM
Bevo said in his presser that Lobb will likely come in. Lock it in.

angelopetraglia
29-05-2024, 10:50 AM
How do you cover Richards?

Bevo. It is unforntunate. Others will get an opportunity to run through there. Sanders and small forwards did a job for us last week. We will get get a blend in there. Didn't give much away.

mjp
29-05-2024, 10:50 AM
I heard Jeremy Howe might be back in- would they be tempted to swing him forward?

100% Yes.

Who is in their forward line who is going to kick goals? Howe has at least done that in the past.

I'm expecting them to bring in Johnson (he obviously plays forward) and bring in Howe to play forward...my only counter offer is Howe plays back and they swing Moore to the forward line.

Collingwood have been hit hard by injuries - happy to acknowledge that - but where they have really been hit is their forward line. Out from last week go Mihocek, Cox and the young kid who's name I forget who kicked that left foot crumbing goal in the 3rd...they need to bring some goal scorers in or it becomes Bobby Hill or bust.

Outside of that, they have a plan which looks like this:

- Play territory footy.
- Hold the ball in F50 and cause repeat stops.
- Let Daicos and Pendlebury go to work and kick 4-each from F50 stops...

I mean that's possible I guess but it would be genuinely unprecedented.

bornadog
29-05-2024, 11:03 AM
Lobb will come in according to Bevo

Libba will most likely play next Friday v Lions

Bont will only go forward at times, but not to start with.

Happy Days
29-05-2024, 11:07 AM
Hopefully he actually is going to Collingwood because that should ensure he turns up for once.

bornadog
29-05-2024, 11:11 AM
Listen to Press Conference here (https://x.com/westernbulldogs/status/1795600629345485129)

bornadog
29-05-2024, 12:38 PM
Interesting stats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOpLQL2b0AAwzUJ?format=jpg&name=medium

JanLorMill
29-05-2024, 01:09 PM
No Pendlebury now

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 01:40 PM
Lobb will come in according to Bevo

Libba will most likely play next Friday v Lions

Bont will only go forward at times, but not to start with.

It's interesting that Lobb will come in because he started the session with the VFL boys and then left the track 10 minutes before the end of the session.
Libba trained fully with the group including contact and tackling drills. Has to be close.

Scraggers
29-05-2024, 02:48 PM
No Pendlebury now

Just read that ... huge blow. Even though he's not the Pendles of old, he's still a general in marshalling the troupes. Huge out.

Dry Rot
29-05-2024, 11:14 PM
Bevo said in his presser that Lobb will likely come in. Lock it in.

That is probably correct, but I think it is the wrong move.

The Pies love moving the ball quickly out of their defensive half, and having both Darcy and Lobb down there will only help that with our lack of defensive pressure.

So rather I would pay the Bont as the other tall, which gives us a far more mobile and much better defensive forward line and make up the midfield from the usual players plus Garcia and West.

I know this won't happen, but I reckon this will give us the best chance to win.

Dry Rot
29-05-2024, 11:15 PM
Just read that ... huge blow. Even though he's not the Pendles of old, he's still a general in marshalling the troupes. Huge out.

Agreed, I reckon we can win there without Bont and have him playing forward

macca
30-05-2024, 01:52 AM
The Pies love moving the ball quickly out of their defensive half, and having both Darcy and Lobb down there will only help that with our lack of defensive pressure.

some highlights from their VFL team, where they picked Ned Long.

Some good hand passing and run throuhg the middle of the ground.
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1566526/long-goes-from-vfl-to-afl

Some irony, Sullivan kicks the last goal at the end of the clip

SquirrelGrip
30-05-2024, 10:38 AM
I'm interested in what our plan will be for Daicos tomorrow night. With their other injuries, I think stop Daicos, stop the Pies.

Perhaps a rotation of Harmes, Gallagher and Garcia on him? Or could you give a job to Treloar? Last year he went to Dunkley if I recall and destroyed him.

lemmon
30-05-2024, 10:46 AM
I'm interested in what our plan will be for Daicos tomorrow night. With their other injuries, I think stop Daicos, stop the Pies.

Perhaps a rotation of Harmes, Gallagher and Garcia on him? Or could you give a job to Treloar? Last year he went to Dunkley if I recall and destroyed him.

I think Treloar is too important as a ball-winner for us, especially with all of our midfield outs.

I'd think about running Caleb Daniel with Daicos. He's one of the best runners at the club and is more equipped in that sense to keep up with Daicos in open space then a few of the other guys. Always feels like Caleb's a guy that's given a 'job' week to week.

SquirrelGrip
30-05-2024, 10:53 AM
I think Treloar is too important as a ball-winner for us, especially with all of our midfield outs.

I'd think about running Caleb Daniel with Daicos. He's one of the best runners at the club and is more equipped in that sense to keep up with Daicos in open space then a few of the other guys. Always feels like Caleb's a guy that's given a 'job' week to week.

Yes, I forgot about Caleb. I like that idea. Goes back to when he first played on Sam Mitchell - that was a very noteworthy performance at the time. I'm sure others will chip in with team defence/blocking/etc to help.

bornadog
30-05-2024, 11:02 AM

I would go with Gallagher who has a bit of speed. We need Treloar to again rack up his 30 plus disposals and get us going from the middle along with Bont.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2024, 11:18 AM
Big one for Bont and Adz to really bully younger opponents. Maybe bully is the one word and it's not in Adz' nature in particular but really take advantage of the experience factor.

PR0408
30-05-2024, 11:51 AM
Yes, I forgot about Caleb. I like that idea. Goes back to when he first played on Sam Mitchell - that was a very noteworthy performance at the time. I'm sure others will chip in with team defence/blocking/etc to help.
Absolutely delusional if you think CD can go with nick daicos. His explosiveness and speed would destroy Caleb. That?s suicidal if we try that.

mjp
30-05-2024, 12:08 PM
Absolutely delusional if you think CD can go with nick daicos. His explosiveness and speed would destroy Caleb. That?s suicidal if we try that.

Fair enough comments - what's the plan then?

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 12:15 PM
Fair enough comments - what's the plan then?
I'd go a team hassle with maybe someone like Garcia or Gaggs all over him at the stoppages.

He's hard to stop in transition.

Every player needs to lay body on him where possible and not let clean runs.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2024, 12:30 PM
I'd go a team hassle with maybe someone like Garcia or Gaggs all over him at the stoppages.

He's hard to stop in transition.

Every player needs to lay body on him where possible and not let clean runs.

Yeah I’d say tag team the role but everyone part of it, really part of it.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 12:52 PM
Yeah I’d say tag team the role but everyone part of it, really part of it.

The Pies are actually really good at doing that. You need everyone involved. Garcia, West and Vanders seem the types to push the agenda in this regard.

SquirrelGrip
30-05-2024, 01:16 PM
Also, even though they won't be direct opponents, I think this is the game for Bont to show he is the league's numero uno ahead of Daicos. I'm sure Bevo might give him a gentle reminder about it.

lemmon
30-05-2024, 01:27 PM

And he'll have blown up Gallagher aerobically by halfway through the third term. I don't mind the team approach, but think ultimately you need someone to take responsibility for the task and have the job - ala what Sydney does with Jordan.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2024, 01:38 PM
And he'll have blown up Gallagher aerobically by halfway through the third term. I don't mind the team approach, but think ultimately you need someone to take responsibility for the task and have the job - ala what Sydney does with Jordan.

Yep, ideally you want one player to mainly do it but we don't have that. I think even trying it is new to the dogs and seems like our younger players suit it more. I'm actually glad it's even a thing we kinda do now.

josie
30-05-2024, 01:52 PM
Rotate Gaggsw & Harmes on Daicos?

Hotdog60
30-05-2024, 07:01 PM
Instruct VDM to run through at the opening bounce and will have the new guy to take his place for the next few weeks. :)

bulldogsthru&thru
30-05-2024, 07:18 PM
In: Lobb, JOD, McNiel
Out: Naughton, Edwards, Scott

Pies have Mihochek and Pendlebury out amongst others.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-05-2024, 07:21 PM
McNeil?

FMD.

angelopetraglia
30-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

Friday May 31, 7:40pm AEST
Marvel Stadium, Docklands ? Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Channel 7, Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Alex Keath
HB: Taylor Duryea, James O?Donnell, Bailey Dale
C: James Harmes, Adam Treloar, Bailey Williams
HF: Riley Garcia, Rory Lobb, Laitham Vandermeer
F: Sam Darcy, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Harvey Gallagher
INT: Jack Macrae, Joel Freijah, Caleb Daniel, Ryley Sanders, Lachie McNeil
EMG: Caleb Poulter, Luke Cleary, Buku Khamis

In: James O?Donnell, Lachie McNeil, Rory Lobb
Out: Ed Richards (concussion), Anthony Scott (concussion), Aaron Naughton (knee)

angelopetraglia
30-05-2024, 07:22 PM
MAGPIES

B: B.Maynard, D.Moore - C, C.Dean

HB: I.Quaynor, J.Noble, O.Markov

C: J.Bytel, A.Johnson, J.Daicos

HF: B.Hill, N.Daicos, J.Howe

F: B.McCreery, P.Lipinski, B.Frampton

FOLL: D.Cameron, J.Crisp, L.Schultz

I/C: F.Macrae, S.Sidebottom, L.Sullivan, H.Harrison, W.Parker

EMG: N.Kreuger, E.Allan, T.Jiath

IN: O.Markov, J.Bytel, A.Johnson, J.Howe, F.Macrae

OUT: E.Allan (Omitted), S.Pendlebury (Injured), B.Mihocek (Injured), J.Richards (Injured), M.Cox (Injured)

kruder
30-05-2024, 07:24 PM
McNeil?

FMD.

Im guessing sub?

G-Mo77
30-05-2024, 07:24 PM
McNeil? Boy, that is very underwhelming

jazzadogs
30-05-2024, 07:29 PM
Im guessing sub?

Can't wait for that injection of skill, composure and elite finishing in the last quarter when we desperately need it.

angelopetraglia
30-05-2024, 07:31 PM
Does bringing McNeil in allow one of the small forwards to spend more time in the middle? Garcia or West?

G-Mo77
30-05-2024, 07:31 PM
Im guessing sub?

He'll start. It makes little to know sense to bring him on as a spark. We're better off playing him, hoping he does well or sub him off. Only benefit for him being sub is an injury reserve

bornadog
30-05-2024, 07:36 PM
Does bringing McNeil in allow one of the small forwards to spend more time in the middle? Garcia or West?

Good Point

lemmon

Good call. I think McNeil takes Garcia's role and Garcia play more inside mid.

I'm fine with McNeil getting another run. He had a good pre-season as a small forward (was one of the big improvers) and the cupboard is pretty bare at Footscray.

Last chance saloon but let's see if he can recreate some of what we saw in pre-season where he actually looked like a small forward.

bornadog
He'll start. It makes little to know sense to bring him on as a spark. We're better off playing him, hoping he does well or sub him off. Only benefit for him being sub is an injury reserve

Who do you Sub

G-Mo77
30-05-2024, 07:40 PM
Who do you Sub

I have no idea. Just saying it doesn't make much sense having him as our sub. I wouldn't have him in the team if it were up to me.

kruder
30-05-2024, 07:42 PM
Can't wait for that injection of skill, composure and elite finishing in the last quarter when we desperately need it.

Would you prefer him to start then? lol

angelopetraglia
30-05-2024, 07:42 PM

I'm fine with McNeil getting another run. He had a good pre-season as a small forward (was one of the big improvers) and the cupboard is pretty bare at Footscray.

Last chance saloon but let's see if he can recreate some of what we saw in pre-season where he actually looked like a small forward.

We are top of the ladder and undefeated!

kruder
30-05-2024, 07:44 PM
I have no idea. Just saying it doesn't make much sense having him as our sub. I wouldn't have him in the team if it were up to me.

Who makes sense as a sub in general though? The sub is used so conservatively Bevo basically brings them on during the last quarter if possible. All things being equal I'm not sure it matters who it is in that scenario they wont make an impact.

westbulldog
30-05-2024, 07:46 PM
McNeil is scraping the barrel, can't kick a goal from 30m out dead in front under the roof, dud selection, nafa.

merantau
30-05-2024, 07:49 PM
I think the sub should be a player who we think might eventually make it as a player. It's an opportunity to give someone game time at the highest level.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 08:12 PM
In: Lobb, JOD, McNiel
Out: Naughton, Edwards, Scott

Pies have Mihochek and Pendlebury out amongst others.
Think they spelt Rypstra wrong

azabob
30-05-2024, 08:39 PM

I tend to agree on McNeil. By all reports he is playing well at Footscray.

G-Mo77
30-05-2024, 08:47 PM
On the AFL website it already has Sanders as the sub?

jeemak
30-05-2024, 08:51 PM
On the AFL website it already has Sanders as the sub?

Maybe an error as he started there last week?

The Pie Man
30-05-2024, 08:58 PM
Freija the sub makes sense to me, seems capable in various spots.

I like that we’re bringing in a small forward, just surprised it’s Lachie. Clarke would love a Friday night.

My biggest surprise is Keath - who will he play on? He looked awfully finished at times last week

Rocco Jones
30-05-2024, 09:03 PM
McNeil isn't who I would have picked but I think the type of selection that is extremely overrated in value by fans. I'd have him as sub as 1/ (most importantly) the other 22 are better than him and 2/ he offers speed and I am assuming pressure is why he is there. These suit coming on as a sub.

Decisions we make based on curbing N Daicos, how we rotate/use our talls up forward to ensure they aren't too top heavy, who we play Keath on, what we do with Bont mid/fwd rotation wise etc, these are all heaps more important than whether we select McNeil, Baker or Poulter. Not excusing a bad decision due to lack of importance but I am not thinking it's THAT bad and more so, who I would have picked isn't THAT good.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 09:17 PM
McNeil is scraping the barrel, can't kick a goal from 30m out dead in front under the roof, dud selection, nafa.
https://i.postimg.cc/ZRnPTV9X/OIG2-W8s8-L42-ZDCKg-LBMPcc-Pw.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jwVnc64h)

The Doctor
30-05-2024, 09:35 PM
Despite his patchy form at AFL level, the Dogs have a 65% winning rate when McNeill is in the team. He could be our saviour :rolleyes:

Hotdog60
30-05-2024, 09:41 PM
McNeil will start in the FP and kick 5 goals and get a 4 year extension. :)

Bullies
30-05-2024, 09:48 PM
Freija the sub makes sense to me, seems capable in various spots.

I like that we?re bringing in a small forward, just surprised it?s Lachie. Clarke would love a Friday night.

My biggest surprise is Keath - who will he play on? He looked awfully finished at times last week Keath should have looked finished last week. He didn't come off the ground after 1/4 time. Was a great effort.

jeemak
30-05-2024, 09:50 PM
I think with Keath it will be better for our sanity if we focus on the good things he does.

jeemak
30-05-2024, 09:50 PM
Apparently only Collingwood have massive outs this week, according to Jon Ralph that is.

Happy Days
30-05-2024, 09:55 PM
Collingwood are missing De Goey and then they have a bunch of guys on their injury list who could be made up, it’s impossible to know. We’re missing 5 of our top 10 guys. I know what problem I would rather have.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 10:03 PM
Apparently only Collingwood have massive outs this week, according to Jon Ralph that is.
That was so obvious how it was supposed to turn Pies fans heads as they were doing something else.

The next graphic showed critical outs and Naughton and Richards stand out as the two most important on the list. Not a mention.

The Underdog
30-05-2024, 10:15 PM
Oops

GVGjr
30-05-2024, 10:27 PM
Anytime McNeil gets a chance to play he's going to have to make the most of it. If he is reading the signs he's going to be super switched on.

josie
30-05-2024, 10:32 PM
Anytime McNeil gets a chance to play he's going to have to make the most of it. If he is reading the signs he's going to be super switched on.

Agree. Close to if not his last chance. Has to kick straight and have cleaner possession. Doubt Pies will give him an inch of time or space.

jazzadogs
30-05-2024, 10:51 PM
Agree. Close to if not his last chance. Has to kick straight and have cleaner possession. Doubt Pies will give him an inch of time or space.

I think it's his fifth last chance.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 10:53 PM
I think it's his fifth last chance.
https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcWNhOHNhaGI0eHZla3IwMWU5dTVuYmNibWp3bGlsN 2U2bTNlanFqaSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/gbt9uQ5ZweNkQ/giphy.gif

macca
30-05-2024, 10:57 PM
If McNeil could kick straight and convert those shots into Goal he would have a spot there for him. We are crying out for a quick crumbing forward who can wait at the drop of the ball, and can kick accurately.

He has played 29 games , so he is halfway there to 50 games.

Bulldog Joe
30-05-2024, 11:44 PM
If McNeil could kick straight and convert those shots into Goal he would have a spot there for him. We are crying out for a quick crumbing forward who can wait at the drop of the ball, and can kick accurately.

He has played 29 games , so he is halfway there to 50 games.

But he might not make it passed 30 if he dishes up what he has done over his past 15

Mantis
31-05-2024, 09:36 AM
Collingwood are missing De Goey and then they have a bunch of guys on their injury list who could be made up, it?s impossible to know. We?re missing 5 of our top 10 guys. I know what problem I would rather have.

I get the point, but they do have a few more decent players missing than just De Goey... but if you lined up the best 5 players missing from both teams ours are better.

angelopetraglia
31-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Pies are missing.

Mihocek - leading goalkicker
Pendles - key mid and on field coach
De Goey - most explosive mid
Elliott - argubly their best small forward
Mitchell - second string inside mid
Cox - second ruck, can stretch teams when he goes forward
Will Hoskin-Elliott - underated and can play a number of roles

It is a decent set of outs.

angelopetraglia
31-05-2024, 09:53 AM
Dogs are missing.

Naughton - leading goalkicker
Weightman - best small forward
Libba - best inside mid
JJ - key running HB
Smith - key miid
Richards - new relevation as inside/out mid

On balance. I would say they have more important outs that us to their team. It is close. Flip of the coin.

Mantis
31-05-2024, 10:05 AM
Pies are missing.

Mihocek - leading goalkicker
Pendles - key mid and on field coach
De Goey - most explosive mid
Elliott - argubly their best small forward
Mitchell - second string inside mid
Cox - second ruck, can stretch teams when he goes forward
Will Hoskin-Elliott - underated and can play a number of roles

It is a decent set of outs.

Naughton < Mihocek
Libba < Mitchell
Richards < Pendles
Weightman = Elliott
Smith > De Goey

We win 3.5 to 1.5.

They also have McStay out.

The Pie Man
31-05-2024, 10:16 AM
Keath should have looked finished last week. He didn't come off the ground after 1/4 time. Was a great effort.

Fair point - still not sure there’s an obvious match up for him.
No way he takes Johnson
If Frampton plays forward, I imagine he will try and quell Jones’ influence.

Mantis
31-05-2024, 10:17 AM
Fair point - still not sure there’s an obvious match up for him.
No way he takes Johnson
If Frampton plays forward, I imagine he will try and quell Jones’ influence.

If Howe plays forward which looks likely, then I think Keath will play on him with JOD taking Johnson.

Happy Days
31-05-2024, 11:11 AM
Naughton < Mihocek
Libba < Mitchell
Richards < Pendles
Weightman = Elliott
Smith > De Goey

We win 3.5 to 1.5.

Couple of blow outs in there though.

Grantysghost
31-05-2024, 11:41 AM
Naughton < Mihocek
Libba < Mitchell
Richards < Pendles
Weightman = Elliott
Smith > De Goey

We win 3.5 to 1.5.

Mihocek better then Naughton!? ;)

Happy Days
31-05-2024, 11:46 AM
Mihocek better then Naughton!? ;)

I think the greater than/less thans are around the wrong way. I would never point this out because I’m not at all pedantic and a great guy.

Grantysghost
31-05-2024, 12:05 PM
I think the greater than/less thans are around the wrong way. I would never point this out because I’m not at all pedantic and a great guy.
Me either, mainly because im scared of Mantis.

Mantis
31-05-2024, 12:09 PM

Yep, I stuffed them up... was in a rush when I was supposed to be on a work call.

Me either, mainly because im scared of Mantis.

At least I have one person fooled.

angelopetraglia
31-05-2024, 01:11 PM
Goals in the 2023 season. Naughton = 44. Mihocek = 47.

Mihocek averaged more goals, marks, kicks and inside 50s than Naughton.

Naughton better than Mihocek in tackles, goal assists, contested possesions, contested marks.

So the gap is not as large as one may percieve from statistical perspective. However, it is easier to be a forward in a team that wins the GF versus one that doesn't make the finals.

Value for $$$$$ money paid. Mihocek would be front by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Mofra
31-05-2024, 02:40 PM
Goals in the 2023 season. Naughton = 44. Mihocek = 47.

Mihocek averaged more goals, marks, kicks and inside 50s than Naughton.

Naughton better than Mihocek in tackles, goal assists, contested possesions, contested marks.

So the gap is not as large as one may percieve from statistical perspective. However, it is easier to be a forward in a team that wins the GF versus one that doesn't make the finals.

Value for $$$$$ money paid. Mihocek would be front by the length of the Flemington Straight.
Mihocek plays closer to goal.
I like the guy but nobody in their right mind is taking him over Naughton

angelopetraglia
31-05-2024, 02:43 PM
Mihocek plays closer to goal.
I like the guy but nobody in their right mind is taking him over Naughton

I don't disagree. Agree with that take. My take is that Mihocek is underated for his contribution, especially if you consider what his contract would be worth.

DOG GOD
31-05-2024, 02:45 PM
Johnson is that type of player could potentially kick 5 or not get a kick. Lets see.

Bullies
31-05-2024, 02:45 PM
I don't disagree. Agree with that take. My take is that Mihocek is underated for his contribution, especially if you consider what his contract would be worth. Mihocek is like what Podsiadly was to Geelong.

Mofra
31-05-2024, 06:30 PM
Mihocek is like what Podsiadly was to Geelong.
Mihocek just keeps presenting for every minute he's on the ground. The definition of an 'honest' footballer who gets 100% out of himself. I completely respect him but Naughton is another class above

jeemak
01-06-2024, 03:28 AM
Mihocek is an out and out gun, and one of the reasons the whole Collingwood gets a lot out of ordinary players talk is BS. He's often used as an example of it.

Jasper
01-06-2024, 08:49 AM
I'd bet there are some people reconsidering their decision to challenge McNeil's inclusion :)
I might have been one of them.

jazzadogs
01-06-2024, 11:07 AM
I'd bet there are some people reconsidering their decision to challenge McNeil's inclusion :)

He had two key moments and nailed both of them. It was a welcome change.

G-Mo77
01-06-2024, 11:16 AM

Made the most of his chances so well done. He'll be needed with the VDM injury.