PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 14 vs Fremantle Dockers

Scraggers
22-03-2024, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Thirteen match against Brisbane for our Round Fourteen match against the Dockers at Marvel on Saturday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
07-06-2024, 10:26 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 10:43 PM
In: Richards, Buss, Clarke/Arty

Out: McNeil, Lobb, Daniel

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 10:59 PM

Daniel forever. McNeil forever. Maybe Lobb too.

westbulldog
07-06-2024, 11:19 PM
IN Busslinger Scott Khamis Richards

OUT Lobb Daniel Bramble McNeil

We will get flogged anyway and the season is gone.

josie
07-06-2024, 11:30 PM
It’s at marvel

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:33 PM
I reckon go full on kids now.

If there's a choice between youth or senior go youth.

Buss for Keath definitely.

Clarke gets a run at it for McNeil.

Caleb, Lobb and Macrae if there's someone young as we go along. Not all at once.

Still shaking my head with JOD forward and Buku in the stands.

Happy Days
07-06-2024, 11:35 PM
Out: Harmes

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:37 PM
I reckon go full on kids now.

If there's a choice between youth or senior go youth.

Buss for Keath definitely.

Clarke gets a run at it for McNeil.

Caleb, Lobb and Macrae if there's someone young as we go along. Not all at once.

Still shaking my head with JOD forward and Buku in the stands.

Time to speed up the rebuild, yep.

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:39 PM
Is it time for the Buss?

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:41 PM
Is it time for the Buss?

Overdue…

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:43 PM
Overdue…

I'm watching Keath tonight, he's serviceable enough but is not the difference between our best and worst. It just makes sense this week.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:44 PM
I'm watching Keath tonight, he's serviceable enough but is not the difference between our best and worst. It just makes sense this week.

Yep. The kid clearly has the hint of a good offer from WA. If we don’t play him for nearly two years, why would he stay. Beyond that, he’s been playing well and deserves promotion.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2024, 11:45 PM
Yep. The kid clearly has the hint of a good offer from WA. If we don’t play him for nearly two years, why would he stay. Beyond that, he’s been playing well and deserves promotion.

If he doesn't play soon, maybe it's an indication that we know he's leaving.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:49 PM
If he doesn't play soon, maybe it's an indication that we know he's leaving.

If he leaves in two seasons with no games, for a pick in the early 20’s (WCE second), then that’s a huge miss by the club.

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:53 PM
I keep hearing about him leaving. Jones is at the end, Keath is pretty much done, the spot is there for him for a long time. It's a good fit for him here and think it would be an awful career move for him to leave.

Mantis
08-06-2024, 12:16 AM
Keath did his hammy late in the game so he?s out anyway.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 12:17 AM

If you watched the VFL, you wouldn't go anywhere near Clarke and Arty. Both were pretty pathetic today. They had less than 10 touches between them in the first half and got a few touches in the last - especially when Arty was moved to the wing

josie
08-06-2024, 12:27 AM
In: Richards, Buss, Buku

Out: McNeil, Keath (hamstring), Lobb (should not play injured players, especially if their not very mobile when not injured)

And Scott as sub

azabob
08-06-2024, 12:30 AM
For the posters dropping Lobb who is rucking against Darcy/Jackson when English is off?

josie
08-06-2024, 12:31 AM
For the posters dropping Lobb who is rucking against Darcy/Jackson when English is off?

If he is injured then he shouldn’t play.

josie
08-06-2024, 12:33 AM

Buku - we all know Bevo just might if Lobb is injured.

SquirrelGrip
08-06-2024, 12:40 AM
In: Richards, Busslinger

Out: Keath, Caleb

Sub: Scott

PR0408
08-06-2024, 12:40 AM
If you watched the VFL, you wouldn't go anywhere near Clarke and Arty. Both were pretty pathetic today. They had less than 10 touches between them in the first half and got a few touches in the last - especially when Arty was moved to the wing
If you watched the VFL properly the 3 smalls were all starving because our ball use was appalling going fwd. in the players defence having no key position fwds really hurt us today. The vfl structure was really hurt. I can?t see either arty or Clarke getting in this week. Arty no tackles hurts his chances though he is playing better the last two weeks. Clarke doing a fair bit of grunt work and really helping crofty and other talls with blocks. His attack on the high ball a few times tonight was impressive along with 6 tackles 3 of those inside our 50 is something we need. 10 disposables not high and hopefully he can get his numbers up. Similar to Garcia in the seniors.

In saying that I don?t think our senior small fwds were that bad. None of our small fwds in vfl or afl get a lot of possessions.
Not sure if anyone heard ginnivan talk last week he mentioned as such playing at pies as a small fwd can be lonely and it?s about position. He gets more freedom at hawks I believe it would even be harder for our smalls in the AFL, especially with us playing 3 talls.

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 12:43 AM

If Lobb is fit enough to play we need to stick with him.

PR0408
08-06-2024, 12:45 AM
Also it?s time for Buss. He still isn?t great one on one. Though he is doing everything else very well.

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 12:59 AM
Also it?s time for Buss. He still isn?t great one on one. Though he is doing everything else very well.

He's close to being ready and we were always likely to test him in the last 6 or 8 weeks of the season.

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 01:24 AM
Richards should be a huge inclusion for us but I'm not sure if it's Buku or Busslinger who comes in to the starting line-up.
I'd be very tempted to bring in Scott as well

At a guess
In Richards, Busslinger, Khamis and Scott
Out Keath, Vandermeer, McNeil and Freijah. We should probably stick with Freijah though

Scorlibo
08-06-2024, 02:58 AM
Okay is it just me or are Gallagher and Bramble both well overdue for excursions back to Footscray? Some of Gallagher's turnovers have me pulling my hair out, and outside of the first three rounds I can't cite a single game where Bramble has played well.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2024, 07:35 AM

VDM & McNeil had less than 10 touches between them. At least Clarke might make it. McNeil kills us. So I’d bring him in anyway.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2024, 07:37 AM
Okay is it just me or are Gallagher and Bramble both well overdue for excursions back to Footscray? Some of Gallagher's turnovers have me pulling my hair out, and outside of the first three rounds I can't cite a single game where Bramble has played well.

You have to put Gags down for at least one shocking turnover a game. I hope he can fix it.

soupman
08-06-2024, 08:22 AM
Don't think we are at "play the kids" stage yet, even if we aren't doing that well we are still right in the mix for finals in a very even year and I'm not sure pumping games into Charlie Clarke off minimal form is worth the cost.

Besides we are already getting a lot of gametime into young guys in meaningful roles, why lower the bar?

merantau
08-06-2024, 08:51 AM
Busslinger in for Keith. Lobb must play. If not Lobb - then who?
Bramble has been poor for weeks. I thought Cleary was stiff to get dropped. Richards is a big in.
The Injury Gods have really feasted on us this year.

Bullies
08-06-2024, 08:55 AM
A lot of the young guys are cooked at the moment and need the Bye. Unfortunately due to our injuries we have not been in a position to rest them. Darcy spell could be a blessing. In the real worldif we need had the numbers we can't be playing Daniel, Macrae, Libber and Sanders in the same team. The lack of pace was so evident on the break last night.

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 09:13 AM

I'd normally agree but the likely replacements either haven't done enough or are still on the injured list.

JanLorMill
08-06-2024, 09:40 AM
Don't think we are at "play the kids" stage yet, even if we aren't doing that well we are still right in the mix for finals in a very even year and I'm not sure pumping games into Charlie Clarke off minimal form is worth the cost.

Besides we are already getting a lot of gametime into young guys in meaningful roles, why lower the bar?
Pumping games into players that will never make it more acceptable?

soupman
08-06-2024, 09:43 AM
Pumping games into players that will never make it more acceptable?

McNeil is the only one in that category that's playing and he's gotten 3 games this year in a position we have basically nobody else contending for anyway.

JanLorMill
08-06-2024, 10:05 AM
McNeil is the only one in that category that's playing and he's gotten 3 games this year in a position we have basically nobody else contending for anyway.
Question marks on Bramble Daniel Keath Khamis. VDM was on that list but has improved. Probably should have been rested yesterday.
McNeil has played small forward which isn’t his natural position anyway.

LifeLongBulldog
08-06-2024, 10:08 AM
Busslinger in for Keith. Lobb must play. If not Lobb - then who?
Bramble has been poor for weeks. I thought Cleary was stiff to get dropped. Richards is a big in.
The Injury Gods have really feasted on us this year. Unfortunately, Cleary got concussed in the VFL game so cannot be in the frame for selection next week.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, Cleary got concussed in the VFL game so cannot be in the frame for selection next week.
Croft too

macca
08-06-2024, 10:33 AM
Buku - we all know Bevo just might if Lobb is injured.

Against Darcy and Jackson , that would be insane.

josie
08-06-2024, 10:49 AM
Against Darcy and Jackson , that would be insane.

Smith in for injured Lobb (if injury is serious enough) & English to play more forward than. We are running out of troops.

1eyedog
08-06-2024, 10:59 AM

Jong or Dunks

Sedat
08-06-2024, 11:20 AM
I'm not exactly thrilled with who rucks against Darcy and Jackson when English is on.

Lobb just has to play if fully fit.

chef
08-06-2024, 12:22 PM
Time to stick a fork in Keath and pump some games into Busslinger.

Rocco Jones
08-06-2024, 03:11 PM
In: Ed, Buss, Cody
Out: Keath, Buku, McNeil

Hard with all the outs. I'd try to perhaps get a bit more run into the side. Ed into the middle maybe free up Bont to play forward a bit more. Really need to add quality there. Maybe JOD as a bit of a swing man too. Can go to Ryan as well.

Seems like Cody a chance. Would be a big in if he is okay to go.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 04:36 PM
Time to stick a fork in Keath and pump some games into Busslinger.

I tend to agree. When he has the ball in hand he is so slow to make a decision, and I almost close my eyes beacuse I am expecting a turnover.

kruder
08-06-2024, 04:38 PM
Keath looked concussed after he came back on last night, been really good since he came back in.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Keath looked concussed after he came back on last night, been really good since he came back in.

I don't know about "really good", but he has been better than when Buku was playing CHB. He has used his experience to get us through games.

I was really disappointed with Jones last night. Saved us many times, but out smarted himself by not playing deep and taking risks by going up the ground. Maybe it was coaching that dragged him away from the goals, but gee how many times did Hipwood and Daniher find themselves alone in the goal square - Unforgiveable

For me, watching the VFL, theren't too many options.

Buss, Baker and Scott were the best for us.

In: Ed, and Buss

Out: Keath and Buku with McNeil to Sub

EasternWest
08-06-2024, 04:56 PM
Busslinger in for Keith. Lobb must play. If not Lobb - then who?.

https://i.postimg.cc/x159ZCy0/images.png (https://postimages.org/)

chef
08-06-2024, 05:51 PM
I tend to agree. When he has the ball in hand he is so slow to make a decision, and I almost close my eyes beacuse I am expecting a turnover.

And if we don't play Busslinger he'll be off at the end of the season.

DOG GOD
08-06-2024, 06:18 PM
Jones and Keath would be the slowest combined defenders in the AFL. One thing is that Jones can mark, and one guaranteed thing is that if Keath gets the ball he will go to ground. Both turn like the titanic. Keath was done end of 2022. Can’t believe he’s still out there.
Yeah, I know, he’s been “ok” since coming back in, but that says more about Buku one on one than Keath being in blistering form.
Buss HAS to play.

macca
08-06-2024, 08:18 PM
In: Ed, Buss, Cody , Buku (sub)
Out: Keath(hamstring), West, Sanders

West- he needs to work on his goal kicking. He needs to dominate VFL and command that position. He knows how to get the ball, but his execution is woeful.

Sanders: Defensively he was poor. Got turned inside out in the first quarter, which was not good sign. Ball watches a bit

I am going to persist with McNeil. I thought he played a tagging role earlier in first half and I thought he was ok. He needs to work on his goal kicking

Buss - Keath Replacement. Need to put games into him see where he is ???

I am 50/50 on Buss or Clearly. I don't know why Clearly was dropped a few games ago.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 08:28 PM
In: Ed, Buss, Cody , Buku (sub)
Out: Keath(hamstring), West, Sanders

West- he needs to work on his goal kicking. He needs to dominate VFL and command that position. He knows how to get the ball, but his execution is woeful.

Sanders: Defensively he was poor. Got turned inside out in the first quarter, which was not good sign. Ball watches a bit

I am going to persist with McNeil. I thought he played a tagging role earlier in first half and I thought he was ok. He needs to work on his goal kicking

Buss - Keath Replacement. Need to put games into him see where he is ???

I am 50/50 on Buss or Clearly. I don't know why Clearly was dropped a few games ago.
Cleary had concussion on Friday

Go_Dogs
09-06-2024, 03:29 PM
In: Richards, Buss
Out: Bramble, Keath

GVGjr
09-06-2024, 03:58 PM
In: Richards, Buss
Out: Bramble, Keath

Richards to the back line GD?

Bullies
09-06-2024, 04:17 PM
Richards to the back line GD? Richards surely plays on the ball. He is the difference for us. We are too slow in the mid field if he is not in there. No coincidence that our form spiked when he moved to the mid field when Libba was out. We seriously need pace on the ball and if we persist with our current set up we can expect to be cut up. Garcia had little time in the middle against Lions and he made a difference over the past couple of weeks with his presence in the middle. Time to change.

GVGjr
09-06-2024, 04:28 PM
Richards surely plays on the ball. He is the difference for us. We are too slow in the mid field if he is not in there. No coincidence that our form spiked when he moved to the mid field when Libba was out. We seriously need pace on the ball and if we persist with our current set up we can expect to be cut up. Garcia had little time in the middle against Lions and he made a difference over the past couple of weeks with his presence in the middle. Time to change.

I can see the sense in him returning to the back line if we are to drop Bramble as Go Dogs suggested but adding another midfielder appeals to me just a bit more.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 04:47 PM
I can see the sense in him returning to the back line if we are to drop Bramble as Go Dogs suggested but adding another midfielder appeals to me just a bit more.

Bramble played a pretty good game on the wing a few weeks ago, so I would prefer to play him there.

GVGjr
09-06-2024, 05:13 PM
Bramble played a pretty good game on the wing a few weeks ago, so I would prefer to play him there.

To me Brambles cops a lot more criticism than he deserves. I'd be happy to keep him in the side a bit longer.

macca
09-06-2024, 05:33 PM
If Brambles can reduce the clangers and improve disposable efficieny he be a good player. He is a decent mark.

He tackles and knows where to find the ball. I like to persist with him and see where he gets to at 50 games.

One thing we lack is another long kicking backman who is a decent mark . I wish Poulter could fill this void but marking is not his strength.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 06:26 PM
To me Brambles cops a lot more criticism than he deserves. I'd be happy to keep him in the side a bit longer.

Where do you prefer he play?

GVGjr
09-06-2024, 06:45 PM
Where do you prefer he play?

Probably wing but withe Duryea probably in his last season and JJ injured then it seems that we need him to play BP.

EasternWest
09-06-2024, 07:38 PM
If Brambles can reduce the clangers and improve disposable efficieny he be a good player. He is a decent mark.

He tackles and knows where to find the ball. I like to persist with him and see where he gets to at 50 games.

One thing we lack is another long kicking backman who is a decent mark . I wish Poulter could fill this void but marking is not his strength.

Agree with this, Bramble as a player has some good attributes but his disposal is just so iffy.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-06-2024, 07:55 PM
For me I would go with Richards and Khamis in

Ed in the guts.
Bont 50/50 mid forward
JOD & Khamis Backline
Bramble to the wing

Keith out as Jones and Doc provide the experience needed down back

Daniel as sub

kickit2Koly
09-06-2024, 08:52 PM
Agree with this, Bramble as a player has some good attributes but his disposal is just so iffy.

Is it though?! His disposal efficiency avg for the season is 82%, rated above avg and the same as Dale’s. He has had a couple of absolute howlers which I think clouds people view of him.

EasternWest
09-06-2024, 11:18 PM
Is it though?! His disposal efficiency avg for the season is 82%, rated above avg and the same as Dale’s. He has had a couple of absolute howlers which I think clouds people view of him.

Wow, there you go. Your last line applies to me then. I stand corrected.

Either way I think he's ok.

Grantysghost
09-06-2024, 11:41 PM
Bramble is good, don't get the angst. Not every player can be Athos Hrysoulakis.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 11:44 PM
Bramble is good, don't get the angst. Not every player can be Athos Hrysoulakis.

Who :D

Scorlibo
10-06-2024, 11:14 AM
Is it though?! His disposal efficiency avg for the season is 82%, rated above avg and the same as Dale?s. He has had a couple of absolute howlers which I think clouds people view of him.

Keath goes as 92% disposal efficiency. Defenders who take on minimal risk with their kicks will typically register the highest DE, and Bramble takes on a lot less risk than Dale.

Bramble goes at one clanger per every 7 disposals, the worst ratio of our small defenders -

Johannisen 12.2
Williams 12
Freijah 11.8
Dale 11.1
Coffield 11
Duryea 9.2
Cleary 7.3
Bramble 7.0

kickit2Koly
10-06-2024, 01:12 PM
Keath goes as 92% disposal efficiency. Defenders who take on minimal risk with their kicks will typically register the highest DE, and Bramble takes on a lot less risk than Dale.

Bramble goes at one clanger per every 7 disposals, the worst ratio of our small defenders -

Johannisen 12.2
Williams 12
Freijah 11.8
Dale 11.1
Coffield 11
Duryea 9.2
Cleary 7.3
Bramble 7.0

Don't disagree with you although I think his issue is decision making not disposal(the post I replied to was about his disposal). He has had a couple of dear in headlights moments that look really bad in isolation.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2024, 03:41 PM
Richards to the back line GD?

I?d have him in the midfield and play CD in the backline. Bramble makes too many errors with ball in hand. I get what we?re trying to do with him but it isn?t quite working. He?s not an 80m player and he?s a liability when the ball hits the ground.

Bont spends more time forward. Treloar potentially some time in the back half.

Libba will have to spend some time elsewhere too.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2024, 08:26 PM
Just saw this re Buss:

“averaging 23.8 disposals and 9.8 marks per game across the past four games for Footscray.”

Deserves to play on form alone.

PR0408
10-06-2024, 09:24 PM
Just saw this re Buss:

“averaging 23.8 disposals and 9.8 marks per game across the past four games for Footscray.”

I agree he is due for a debut. Let?s be serious for a minute though. Possessions for key backs is irrelevant unless it?s intercept marks/intercept possessions. It?s all about how he competes in the air and how he can stop fwds on the lead or in a battle of strength. He is still developing all those areas but it?s time.

mjp
10-06-2024, 09:47 PM
Just saw this re Buss:

You're probably right.

What match-up does he get??

bulldogtragic
10-06-2024, 10:07 PM
You're probably right.

I assume their main tall forwards if fit are going to be Treacy, Amiss & Jackson.
Ours tall backs Jones, Buss & JOD.

I guess it’s more about who Jones is preferred to match up on. JOD on Amiss seems a good match. So I guess Treacy or Jackson.

azabob
11-06-2024, 08:37 AM
You're probably right.

BT don?t fall for it, it is a trap!

azabob
11-06-2024, 08:38 AM
I assume their main tall forwards if fit are going to be Treacy, Amiss & Jackson.
Ours tall backs Jones, Buss & JOD.

I guess it’s more about who Jones is preferred to match up on. JOD on Amiss seems a good match. So I guess Treacy or Jackson.

Too late I see.

mjp
11-06-2024, 09:07 AM
BT don?t fall for it, it is a trap!

No trap. Genuinely curious.

I hate the JOD/Amiss matchup as Amiss is the craftiest of the 3 and I would have said JOD was the LEAST crafty of the 3...but I also think Buss is a terrible matchup for both Treacy and Jackson.

Bullies
11-06-2024, 09:46 AM

I hate the JOD/Amiss matchup as Amiss is the craftiest of the 3 and I would have said JOD was the LEAST crafty of the 3...but I also think Buss is a terrible matchup for both Treacy and Jackson. Will be interesting with Buss if he does play as to who he goes to. Inside they still don't feel he is ready with a bit to learn playing in defence. But the opportunity has come up so lets seee what he has got. Treacy more up and down so maybe he goes there. Definitely won't be Jackson.

Grantysghost
11-06-2024, 09:49 AM

I hate the JOD/Amiss matchup as Amiss is the craftiest of the 3 and I would have said JOD was the LEAST crafty of the 3...but I also think Buss is a terrible matchup for both Treacy and Jackson.
JOD is a forward this is a weird conversation.

We definitely never swing players around.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2024, 09:49 AM
I haven’t seen enough of Buss at VFL level, but will he be comfortable playing higher with Jones playing deeper?

Agree it’s a tough set of match ups this week, especially if they’re able to get clean ball from the midfield. If we can be dominate and apply pressure, we stand a chance.

Happy Days
11-06-2024, 09:51 AM
I think if Buss plays it has to be on Amiss. Jackson and Treacy will be too strong for him, and our back 6 haven’t exactly been awesome at help defending this season.

azabob
11-06-2024, 09:53 AM

I hate the Amiss match up full stop. He is an underrated talent here in Victoria.

Jones would be a good option but he will be caught between zoning off and playing man on man.

soupman
11-06-2024, 10:52 AM
I hate the Amiss match up full stop. He is an underrated talent here in Victoria.

Jones would be a good option but he will be caught between zoning off and playing man on man.

I get the impression Amiss is quick, which from all reports is not a strength of Busslinger.

I'm expecting Khamis to come in. If he is training on Lobb then that seems as good prep as possible for us to give him before getting to play on ruck forward types Jacksin and Treacy.

bornadog
11-06-2024, 10:55 AM
Who did Buku play on 7 games ago against Dockers. From memory he got burnt and played one of his worse games.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2024, 10:59 AM

I think we need to play Buss. That or Khamis back in. I prefer the former. That they have a trio that kicked 10 between them last start and we have injuries is just the way it is. We need our mids to limit the supply or slow it down.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2024, 11:00 AM
Who did Buku play on 7 games ago against Dockers. From memory he got burnt and played one of his worse games.

Treacy from memory.

bornadog
11-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Treacy from memory.

Argh yes, I think you are right. I was away on holidays and missed it and only saw bits and pieces through dodgy VPN

bulldogtragic
11-06-2024, 11:08 AM
Argh yes, I think you are right. I was away on holidays and missed it and only saw bits and pieces through dodgy VPN

From memory it was one of Treacy’s best games and Buku looked completely lost.

bornadog
11-06-2024, 11:10 AM
From memory it was one of Treacy’s best games and Buku looked completely lost.

I would give Buss a go.

Happy Days
11-06-2024, 11:19 AM
Treacy is a serious horse and I actually rate him more than Amiss. Think he would monster Buss.

mjp
11-06-2024, 12:36 PM
I get the impression Amiss is quick, which from all reports is not a strength of Busslinger.

I'm expecting Khamis to come in. If he is training on Lobb then that seems as good prep as possible for us to give him before getting to play on ruck forward types Jacksin and Treacy.

Amiss and Busslinger would have played juniors together (same club) so I'm sure they have crossed paths...

mjp
11-06-2024, 12:39 PM

He played on Treacy which is just a terrible match-up.

It looked like we tried to fix it on the night but whoever got Buku took him deep which (for me) was the #1 reason why we lost the game. I am probably too tough on Khamis but to me he is just such a limited player (with regards the roles he can play)...he can intercept OK and is a relatively straight kick at goal. But he just isn't strong and trustworthy in the contest and Freo will make him do that...

I don't think he should play this week.

bornadog
11-06-2024, 01:04 PM

It looked like we tried to fix it on the night but whoever got Buku took him deep which (for me) was the #1 reason why we lost the game. I am probably too tough on Khamis but to me he is just such a limited player (with regards the roles he can play)...he can intercept OK and is a relatively straight kick at goal. But he just isn't strong and trustworthy in the contest and Freo will make him do that...

I agree, I wouldn't play him at all. I was actually surprised he was picked last week, and also picked as a sub.

With Keath out, we have the same tall backs as last time, unless Buss gets a gig.

Mantis
11-06-2024, 01:11 PM

He gives off strong Schache vibes... he just doesn't play with the necessary intensity to thrive at the level.

macca
11-06-2024, 03:54 PM
I have a single General admission ticket for this weekend's game . due to work commitments can't go this saturday, unfortunately.

The only 2 conditions are:
1. You will need to have submitted more than 10 posts
2. please DM and send me your mobile , and I will sms

I am doing this to make it genuine woofer posters ( confirm you have history) and to avoid any sort of scammers.

angelopetraglia
11-06-2024, 05:05 PM
Sounds like we will get back both Richards and Weightman back this week.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2024, 05:16 PM
Sounds like we will get back both Richards and Weightman back this week.

Cody said on the tv broadcast he was back after the bye. Who said he’s back before the bye now?

mjp
11-06-2024, 05:19 PM
Cody said on the tv broadcast he was back after the bye. Who said he’s back before the bye now?

Well, if we do that is certainly not nothing.

I think we will be a lot better this week - the back-to-back-to-back high profile Thursday/Friday night games was a big factor last week...let's see. 2x sides who have shown a tremendous capacity to fiercely defend territory (think last q vs Pies for us) at various times so we need some goal-kickers to make our entries count.

Mantis
11-06-2024, 05:21 PM

He's listed as a ''test'' in the injury report which means he must be close.

Jasper
11-06-2024, 05:23 PM
Reading the injury list I see Weightman is down as a test which gives me hope he's at least a 50/50 chance for this week. I went to the training yesterday and met up with Stevo and Gary mentioned he thought Weightman was an outside chance. Maybe the odds have shortened just a bit but it's unlikely we will risk it.

azabob
11-06-2024, 06:03 PM
I have a single General admission ticket for this weekend's game . due to work commitments can't go this saturday, unfortunately.

The only 2 conditions are:
1. You will need to have submitted more than 50 posts
2. please DM and send me your mobile , and I will sms

I am doing this to make it genuine woofer posters ( confirm you have history) and to avoid any sort of scammers.

Without knowing the actual detail it may need to be transferred via the Ticketmaster app.

azabob
11-06-2024, 06:16 PM
At this early stage my thoughts

IN: Scott, Buslinger (no choice), Richards,
OUT: Daniel, Keath, McNeil

macca
11-06-2024, 06:20 PM

If Teacy plays, why do I get a bad feeling he is going to kick a bag against us ?

mjp
11-06-2024, 07:16 PM
If Teacy plays, why do I get a bad feeling he is going to kick a bag against us ?

Well, he doesn't bloody well miss so if he takes 4x marks inside 50 he's probably kicking 4x goals.

Remarkable conversion rate.

Rocco Jones
11-06-2024, 10:18 PM
Glad to hear Cody looks likely to return.

We really only had one dangerous forward target Friday Night which I think really helps the opposition to set up down back.

Cody helps us there. Ed being back means we have great freedom to play Bont there a bit more too.

Bullies
12-06-2024, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott come in to run with Serong. He came in against the Swans to run with Gulden.

GVGjr
12-06-2024, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott come in to run with Serong. He came in against the Swans to run with Gulden.

Perhaps but I don't think he's suited to bring in our midfield rotations. Gulden would have mainly played wing that day and that would suit Scott better

GVGjr
12-06-2024, 03:00 PM
Really interested to see which players we bring in.
Weightman, Richards and probably Scott should be right in the mix.

Bullies
12-06-2024, 05:13 PM
Perhaps but I don't think he's suited to bring in our midfield rotations. Gulden would have mainly played wing that day and that would suit Scott better He would more than likely start on the wing and move onto Serong.

bornadog
12-06-2024, 05:15 PM
He would more than likely start on the wing and move onto Serong.

I would drop Caleb for Scott. I think Scott is an honest hard working footballer and his left foot is a weapon.

Hotdog60
12-06-2024, 06:27 PM
I would drop Caleb for Scott. I think Scott is an honest hard working footballer and his left foot is a weapon.

It's funny how things can change in the past this suggestion wouldn't have been contemplated but now it's a reasonable swap.

Testekill
12-06-2024, 07:46 PM
It's funny how things can change in the past this suggestion wouldn't have been contemplated but now it's a reasonable swap.

Sign of changing times, I'd rather Scott in as the sub but that's mostly because he's a versatile foot soldier that can play on multiple lines. With the sub you either need versatility or an explosive player that only needs a quarter to turn things and Scott is the former.

JanLorMill
12-06-2024, 09:24 PM
Playing a tagger? Finally! I don’t see a role for Scott otherwise.

GVGjr
12-06-2024, 11:32 PM
Given our effort to curb Harris Andrews last week with JOD matching up on him is there a chance we will try something similar with trying to impact Luke Ryan this week?

jeemak
13-06-2024, 12:23 AM
Having two players return after multiple weeks off for concussion is loaded with risk. Ed I can understand, but not Scott as he's played five minutes of senior football this year.

GVGjr
13-06-2024, 12:27 AM
Having two players return after multiple weeks off for concussion is loaded with risk. Ed I can understand, but not Scott as he's played five minutes of senior football this year.

It's a fair point you raise. Perhaps we leave Scott at Footscray for another week to see if he is right to go. He's had just one game back from his concussion.

Grantysghost
13-06-2024, 01:30 AM
Given our effort to curb Harris Andrews last week with JOD matching up on him is there a chance we will try something similar with trying to impact Luke Ryan this week?
Good call G.

I went to Tigers v Freo game earlier this season and he was an absolute stand out. Amazingly not that tall (sorry bad!) at 186 cm so could be a worthwhile lever to pull.

He is a true blue western suburbs boy too.

azabob
13-06-2024, 08:48 AM

Scott has got a game of vfl under his belt last week.

my plums
13-06-2024, 09:53 AM
Maniacally refreshing this to manifest a debut for Busslinger.

Mofra
13-06-2024, 10:35 AM
West has had these jobs in the past. I suspect JOD goes back given Keath's injury

EasternWest
13-06-2024, 11:15 AM
Maniacally refreshing this to manifest a debut for Busslinger.

Keep the faith

jDogs
13-06-2024, 01:59 PM
Well, they would have 100% announced a debut by now, surely. I reckon O'Donnell goes back and Buku plays forward. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams goes back AGAIN and Baker or Poulter come in to play a wing.

Where is Bevo's presser this week? He normally has it on the day of the main session, does he not?

edit: added a word because apparently it was taken as if I didn't know that Williams obviously played back last week also.

Mitcha
13-06-2024, 02:03 PM
Richards and Weightman (if fit) in are no brainers but what do we do down back. No Keath or Gardner to support Jones so we need to get creative to combat a three pronged tall oppo forward set up. With no apparent debut announcement as yet for the Buss it looks like JOD and Buku go back but how do we set up. I think Jones takes the deepest forward to minimize the chances of Buku or JOD getting exposed deep one out. Freo will no doubt mix and match meaning our boys will need to be on high alert and handover as often as possible to avoid this happening. Winning the ball in midfield will obviously mitigate easy ball for them going forward.
So ins- Buku for Keath, Richards for Daniel, Weightman for McNeill, Scott in as sub.
For those wanting the Buss in you, cannot judge his form from his numbers in the VFL. Sure he is getting plenty of ball but that is not his role. I have seen every VFL game this year and I want to see him defending 1 v 1 and picking off oppo entries. He is getting a lot of footy but we chip the pill around an awful lot at that level and he will not play that role at AFL level as we have smaller and quicker distributors already in place. When he learns to compete and beat his direct opponent defensively is when he gets the call up.

bornadog
13-06-2024, 02:54 PM
Well, they would have 100% announced a debut by now, surely. I reckon O'Donnell goes back and Buku plays forward. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams goes back and Baker or Poulter come in on a wing.

Where is Bevo's presser this week? He normally has it on the day of the main session, does he not?

Presser tomorrow

GVGjr
13-06-2024, 03:14 PM
Well, they would have 100% announced a debut by now, surely. I reckon O'Donnell goes back and Buku plays forward. Wouldn't be surprised if Williams goes back and Baker or Poulter come in on a wing.

The presser is tomorrow at the Captains run. I'm not sure Khamis will play as a forward though as he continues to train with the defenders but he is versatile to be moved forward if required.

Williams to the back line could be considered and that might mean Scott, Poulter or Baker coming in.

azabob
13-06-2024, 03:14 PM

Williams played back against the Lions.

bornadog
13-06-2024, 03:19 PM
Williams played back against the Lions.

He was our best backman

The Bulldogs Bite
13-06-2024, 04:22 PM
Seems a surprise Buss wouldn't debut.

No Keath, no Gardner, Khamis proven he isn't really up to the task.... I admire Bukus improvement over the journey but I'd be a bit disappointed if we selected him over Buss.

angelopetraglia
13-06-2024, 06:45 PM
Mitch Cleary

A watch on Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli ahead of Saturday v Fremantle.
Missed both Monday and Wednesday sessions due to illness and was forced to train away from teammates.
Will be named and still likely to play - but it's been a frustrating week.

azabob
13-06-2024, 06:48 PM
Mitch Cleary

A watch on Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli ahead of Saturday v Fremantle.
Missed both Monday and Wednesday sessions due to illness and was forced to train away from teammates.
Will be named and still likely to play - but it's been a frustrating week.

So GVGjr word is not good enough for you?

Also which one of you is Mitch Cleary?

azabob
13-06-2024, 06:52 PM
Looks like Weightman is IN

bornadog
13-06-2024, 07:23 PM
Garcia omitted very surprising

bornadog
13-06-2024, 07:24 PM
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle Dockers
Saturday June 15, 1:45pm AEST
Marvel Stadium, Docklands • Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Fox Footy/Kayo
B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Buku Khamis
HB: Taylor Duryea, James O’Donnell, Bailey Dale
C: Ed Richards, Adam Treloar, Bailey Williams
HF: Cody Weightman, Rory Lobb, Jack Macrae
F: Laith Vandermeer, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
INT: Harvey Gallagher, Joel Freijah, Anthony Scott, Ryley Sanders, Caleb Daniel
EMG: Jedd Buslinger, Oskar Baker, Lachie McNeil

The Bulldogs Bite
13-06-2024, 07:25 PM
Garcia out is rubbish.

The Pie Man
13-06-2024, 07:29 PM
Garcia out is rubbish.

Tis rough, agree.

kruder
13-06-2024, 07:31 PM
Garcia?????

Pleather Sole
13-06-2024, 07:37 PM
Garcia?????

I know.
GARCIA was one of our best against Brisbane, a real standout performance in a lacklustre showing, now he's dropped????
FMD I'm done with our Match Selectors, effing rocks in their heads. I give up, again. Furious.
#JusticeforSonny

hujsh
13-06-2024, 07:40 PM
In's & outs would be nice

IN
Ed Richards, Cody Weightman, Anthony Scott

OUT
Alex Keath (Injured), Lachlan McNeil (Omitted), Riley Garcia (Omitted)

azabob
13-06-2024, 07:46 PM
Garcia is ahead of Sanders and Daniel for mine.

Clearly we see Garcia and Liberatore as the same player and can only play one of them in the same side.

Virgin-Dog
13-06-2024, 07:47 PM
In's & outs would be nice

IN
Ed Richards, Cody Weightman, Anthony Scott

OUT
Alex Keath (Injured), Lachlan McNeil (Omitted), Riley Garcia (Omitted)
Great ins. Geez Daniel is lucky to hold his spot over Garcia though. At least for someone like Vandermeer (who was unsighted last week) he justifies his spot with manic pressure and running efforts, but I can?t say I can see anything obvious that we?re getting from Daniel right now that Garcia wouldn?t do better

chef
13-06-2024, 07:49 PM
Buku over Busslinger sucks. I guess we'll never know with him.

JanLorMill
13-06-2024, 07:49 PM
Back to selection lotto again.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2024, 07:52 PM

We apparently reward form. Buss averages 10 marks and 24 touches the last month and our key backs are out…

Garcia gets dropped.

VDM barely touched it, Khamis played 10 minutes forward last week and was torched last game vs Freo, moreover Daniel whose been poor this year.

Back to chook lotto.

jeemak
13-06-2024, 07:55 PM
It might be that Garcia wasn't doing what was asked of him last week. I know it sounds crazy, but it's not impossible.

Sedat
13-06-2024, 08:00 PM
Last time I was this underwhelmed at selection was 2 weeks ago against the filth. Hope the same pleasantly surprising result ensues on Saturday.

I learnt long ago to ignore selection and focus on how we start the game. Then of course we started like a house on fire against Hawthorn, so that put paid to relying on how we start. Now I just wait to see if Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde rocks up, and am not surprised by either.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-06-2024, 08:02 PM

I don't think we'd do it, though you never know, but if Buss had already re-signed I do wonder if he would have had an opportunity.

It's not like Freo are small. And Buku really failed the test to do what defenders need to actually do, which is defend.

angelopetraglia
13-06-2024, 08:02 PM
Garcia omitted very surprising

Not even an emergency.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-06-2024, 08:04 PM
Just curious but who is on the match commitee?

bulldogtragic
13-06-2024, 08:05 PM
I don't think we'd do it, though you never know, but if Buss had already re-signed I do wonder if he would have had an opportunity.

It's not like Freo are small. And Buku really failed the test to do what defenders need to actually do, which is defend.

At a minimum, the uncontracted WA guys will get interest over the bye to their managers, even more so.

westbulldog
13-06-2024, 08:05 PM
Freo forwards will have a field day against Khamis. Garcia omitted and Vandermeer playing is a joke.
Bramble 182cm v Treacy 195cm or Amiss 196cm, Khamis 191cm v Jackson 199cm :)

angelopetraglia
13-06-2024, 08:10 PM
Garcia against Lions (rankings are for Bulldog players)

11 contested possesions #ranked 1st
5 inside 50s #ranked 2nd
8 score involvements #ranked 3rd
23 touches #ranked 4th

Some reasons he may have been dropped.

7 turnovers #ranked 1st
only one tackle

GVGjr
13-06-2024, 08:14 PM
Not even an emergency.

With perhaps a doubt on Bont that surprised me just a bit. The captains runs have been a bit brief over the last couple of weeks so I'm not sure if I should make the effort to attend tomorrow.

westbulldog
13-06-2024, 08:18 PM
Just curious but who is on the match commitee?

The families of Khamis, Vandermeer, Bramble and Daniel.

G-Mo77
13-06-2024, 08:19 PM
Garcia out for Scott? Wow. Just wow!

kruder
13-06-2024, 08:31 PM
Someone on bigfooty said early in the week that one of the Rileys will not play, I wonder if there was something more than form involved? Disappointing.

Its hard to be confident with Buku and JOD supporting Jones in defence, we really need to find a key defender for next year.

Just on Buss, agree we probably should have a look soon but from the games I've seen he hasn't been that impressive without ball in hand. His stats are inflated by a lot of cheap kicks/marks off half back, I would like to see him to blanket a defender/ control the air.

If we don't win this, there is no chance we make finals.

bornadog
13-06-2024, 08:37 PM
Someone on bigfooty said early in the week that one of the Rileys will not play, I wonder if there was something more than form involved? Disappointing.

Its hard to be confident with Buku and JOD supporting Jones in defence, we really need to find a key defender for next year.

Just on Buss, agree we probably should have a look soon but from the games I've seen he hasn't been that impressive without ball in hand. His stats are inflated by a lot of cheap kicks/marks off half back, I would like to see him to blanket a defender/ control the air.

If we don't win this, there is no chance we make finals.
one of his issues is one on one defending

jazzadogs
13-06-2024, 09:01 PM
Freo forwards will have a field day against Khamis. Garcia omitted and Vandermeer playing is a joke.
Bramble 182cm v Treacy 195cm or Amiss 196cm, Khamis 191cm v Jackson 199cm :)

Do you really think Busslinger would have been less of a field day?

And why is Bramble listed? One for Jones, one for JOD, one for Buku seems straightforward to me. With Williams next in line. Bramble isn't going anywhere near them.

FrediKanoute
13-06-2024, 09:01 PM
Disappointed about Garcia, but with Libba and Ed back he is squeezed. I think he has a lot of upside, and think that by the end of the year will be a fixture.

Testekill
13-06-2024, 09:03 PM
Oh my god, we're going to get slaughtered out the back by them going through Khamis' opponent just like last time.

jazzadogs
13-06-2024, 09:04 PM
Garcia surprised me but he's also playing an in demand role - 23 touches and a goal is great but with Ed and Cody coming in to that rotation someone needed to come out. VDM plays a different role so is irrelevant, but I agree I would have thought Daniel or Sanders were more likely to go first.

lemmon
13-06-2024, 09:08 PM
I thought Garcia played a decent game of footy last week, but some of his disposal and decision-making early was really poor.

Wonder if they like Caleb in the sub role and that's why he's kept that spot.

I'd have played Buss because I think we've seen this defensive trio before and it doesn't work, so that's a big surprise.

jazzadogs
13-06-2024, 09:09 PM
I thought Garcia played a decent game of footy last week, but some of his disposal and decision-making early was really poor.

Wonder if they like Caleb in the sub role and that's why he's kept that spot.

I'd have played Buss because I think we've seen this defensive trio before and it doesn't work, so that's a big surprise.

My memory of that game is that our midfield got unceremoniously destroyed and it wouldn't have mattered if we had Rance, Scarlett and Silvagni in defence because we let their mids walk it in to the forwards repeatedly.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2024, 09:10 PM
My memory of that game is that our midfield got unceremoniously destroyed and it wouldn't have mattered if we had Rance, Scarlett and Silvagni in defence because we let their mids walk it in to the forwards repeatedly.

My memory is whoever had Khamis took him deep and exploited him one on one. Spankingly.

lemmon
13-06-2024, 09:16 PM
My memory is whoever had Khamis took him deep and exploited him one on one. Spankingly.

From memory, Jackson also monstered O'Donnell who hasn't shown a great capacity to defend 1v1 in his AFL career so far.

Mantis
13-06-2024, 09:36 PM
I?m done with Bevo.. hope we get spanked.

Grantysghost
13-06-2024, 09:44 PM
Garcia out for Scott? Wow. Just wow!
It will be a run with on Serong?

Grantysghost
13-06-2024, 09:51 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/zB0SZBWs/8tq1my-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Grantysghost
13-06-2024, 09:53 PM
I'm ok with a change to the mix as the spanking v the Lions and the spanking we got last time v Freo in the midfield required something different.

I'm not sure what exactly the plan is however i'm not too phased by the who, more the what.

bornadog
13-06-2024, 10:11 PM

Spot on, Fyfe 37, Serong 37, Brayshaw 30

It was a close game but got beaten in the last quarter

Team
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Final

Fremantle (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-fremantle-dockers)

Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)

Eastdog
13-06-2024, 10:20 PM
Garcia out is rubbish.

Yeah he has been really good. I wouldn't have dropped him.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2024, 10:39 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/zB0SZBWs/8tq1my-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I think that’s his AFEL career over. Condolences GG.

Sedat
13-06-2024, 10:46 PM
I thank him for at least breaking filth hearts 2 weeks ago.

westbulldog
13-06-2024, 10:47 PM
Do you really think Busslinger would have been less of a field day?

And why is Bramble listed? One for Jones, one for JOD, one for Buku seems straightforward to me. With Williams next in line. Bramble isn't going anywhere near them.

Bramble is named in the back pocket, fullback line, where else is he going to play ? But I agree with you, he wont get anywhere near Amiss, Treacy, Jackson or Darcy.

Grantysghost
13-06-2024, 10:50 PM

https://i.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExMWkxdjZ6OThweDVmZWVucjZxYW4wZnplOTMwMnBjb Wg0NHh2YXBmMSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/v0CPpBudmlMfPmIhyu/giphy.gif

Sedat
13-06-2024, 10:55 PM
Spot on, Fyfe 37, Serong 37, Brayshaw 30
They smashed us at clearance in that game - Darcy put it on a platter for their mids. To say we need English at his absolute best this weekend would be an understatement. What he has produced for the vast majority in 2024 hasn't cut the mustard and certainly won't get it done for us on Saturday. It is way over time for Tim to deliver an elite performance in line with his management's contract expectations for him.

Grantysghost
13-06-2024, 11:05 PM
Yes the midfield got torched last time. Its why I'm ok with a Scott coming in defensively.

Scorlibo
13-06-2024, 11:09 PM
Garcia out? What are we not seeing?

I mean he made some errors but he also did some really good things - love how he drives his legs through traffic. He offers a heap more than Gallagher at the moment.

Warrnambulldog
13-06-2024, 11:23 PM
Surely it must be for disciplinary reasons on or off field why Garcia is dropped. Makes no sense

Before I Die
13-06-2024, 11:26 PM
I don?t get the angst. Khamis came in last week. Are posters arguing he should be omitted after ten minutes of game time? Busslinger is unproven and this game is critical, calling for his debut is more about a new toy than a solid plan. Let him debut when he has good support around him. Cody and Ed are in which is great. And Ed is now clearly seen as a midfielder, so who goes out. It could have been Sanders, or Daniel, or MacCrae, or Garcia. I see that decision as a toss of the coin, so I?m happy to go with the MC. I guess Scott should be included in that discussion, but the MC have been keen to get him back into the team for some time and suspect he will have a specific role. Re Buku, the MC saw what we saw last time, so I?m actually not expecting to see the same thing happen again.

bornadog
13-06-2024, 11:33 PM
I don?t get the angst. Khamis came in last week. Are posters arguing he should be omitted after ten minutes of game time? Busslinger is unproven and this game is critical, calling for his debut is more about a new toy than a solid plan. Let him debut when he has good support around him. Cody and Ed are in which is great. And Ed is now clearly seen as a midfielder, so who goes out. It could have been Sanders, or Daniel, or MacCrae, or Garcia. I see that decision as a toss of the coin, so I?m happy to go with the MC. I guess Scott should be included in that discussion, but the MC have been keen to get him back into the team for some time and suspect he will have a specific role. Re Buku, the MC saw what we saw last time, so I?m actually not expecting to see the same thing happen again.

Good post BID, I wholly agree with you. Garcia was a surprise omission, but there will be a good reason - perhaps not following the game plan, or needs to work on his defensive side?

jazzadogs
14-06-2024, 12:37 AM
Bramble is named in the back pocket, fullback line, where else is he going to play ? But I agree with you, he wont get anywhere near Amiss, Treacy, Jackson or Darcy.

He'll play in defence on one of their smalls - Walters, Switkowski, Frederick, Sturt or a resting mid. The named positions don't mean anything.

Scorlibo
14-06-2024, 12:41 AM
As it stands right now, Harvey Gallagher is on track to record the second lowest player rating average of any player to play every game in a season, going back to 2012. The only one lower is Ryan Crowley in 2013 (his tagging days).

Dry Rot
14-06-2024, 01:09 AM
Are so many others have posted, the omission of Garcia makes little sense relative to the players retained on the side. If I was him, I would be contemplating a move to Perth.

FrediKanoute
14-06-2024, 01:56 AM

Tedn to agree with this. Khamis showed a bit early. Deserves to be next cab off the rank. Garcia is a bit of disappointment, but with Libba and Ed back, he is the spare.

jeemak
14-06-2024, 02:12 AM
Tedn to agree with this. Khamis showed a bit early. Deserves to be next cab off the rank. Garcia is a bit of disappointment, but with Libba and Ed back, he is the spare.

GG I'm sure there's an AI generated Prince Harry mashup you can work on with this material.

Vred
14-06-2024, 02:24 AM
Garcia being omitted is enough to pull me out of posting retirement to write

''What the actual f*** are we doing?''

jeemak
14-06-2024, 02:36 AM

You've normally got the skinny or a version of it, any ideas outside of team balance/ performance that might be driving his omission?

Vred
14-06-2024, 07:06 AM
You've normally got the skinny or a version of it, any ideas outside of team balance/ performance that might be driving his omission?

None on this occasion.

I'm praying it's something to do with the illness that's sweeping through the club at the moment. From being firmly in our best 22 to being omitted and not even listed as an emergency is so incredibly confusing, specially as he was one of three players who showed some fight against Brisbane.

Maybe its disciplinary? Pure speculation.

Mantis
14-06-2024, 07:34 AM
None on this occasion.

I'm praying it's something to do with the illness that's sweeping through the club at the moment. From being firmly in our best 22 to being omitted and not even listed as an emergency is so incredibly confusing, specially as he was one of three players who showed some fight against Brisbane.

Maybe its disciplinary? Pure speculation.

I would hope that we get a response from Bevo or the club on this omission today.

If it?s anything other than due to discipline I?m going to riot.

I thought we had turned the corner in terms of selection integrity, but if this is form related then it?s a ****ing disgrace.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2024, 08:17 AM
As it stands right now, Harvey Gallagher is on track to record the second lowest player rating average of any player to play every game in a season, going back to 2012. The only one lower is Ryan Crowley in 2013 (his tagging days).

So not the rising star winner you say?

mjp
14-06-2024, 08:29 AM

Welcome back.

I like Garcia but I guess what has he done over the past couple of weeks that we are gonna miss?

I'm way too lazy to look stuff up but I'm pretty sure his tackling has dropped right away the last few weeks - he laid 5-6 in his first 3-4 games and lately it's been more like 1-2.

I totally get the conversation around "it shoulda been Gallagher" etc but Garcia is still a young developing player and needs to be held accountable for his week-to-week performances. We need him playing on the edge, not playing on the edge of the contest.

I wasn't impressed by him last week and whilst I'm surprised he's out I think it is unfair to say that Garcia being left out is a sign of the apocalypse.

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 09:10 AM
Ha crikey. Needs more pressure acts!

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 09:13 AM

Hey welcome back!

I love Garcia too but I'm ok trying something different. With Ed and Tony in who else do we drop? Gaggs tends to play wing.

Mantis
14-06-2024, 09:27 AM
Hey welcome back!

I love Garcia too but I'm ok trying something different. With Ed and Tony in who else do we drop? Gaggs tends to play wing.

Like anyone but Garcia.

I know roles are different, but he has outperformed all of Macrae, Gallagher, Libba, Daniel, West & Bramble over the past month.

JanLorMill
14-06-2024, 09:33 AM
Busslinger is unproven but Khamis is proven can?t defend. Play him in the forward line

Sedat
14-06-2024, 10:53 AM
Like anyone but Garcia.

I know roles are different, but he has outperformed all of Macrae, Gallagher, Libba, Daniel, West & Bramble over the past month.
Yep, Garcia omission is a real head-scratcher. If really pushed you could mount some sort of case for the selections of Macrae, Gallagher, Libba, West & Bramble this week, but Daniel can count himself incredibly fortunate.

It's not the first time (and I daresay it won't be the last) that we are bemused and befuddled with the selected team on Thursday night. I had the same feeling as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I'll try to be positive - Richards and Weightman makes us much better, both in the middle and up forward. And Libba has a crucial run under his belt which he clearly needed. If we break even or win the midfield battle we go a very long way towards winning on Saturday. I'd like to think the 15 year low in terms of clearance smashing that our mids copped last week would sting them into action this week to never lower their colours so comprehensively again - no better way to test that theory than against the current best clearance team in the comp.

Bullies
14-06-2024, 10:57 AM
Is Bont a late scratching?

chef
14-06-2024, 11:04 AM

Maybe. Garcia out may just be a ruse and he's really still playing.

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 11:27 AM

He seems to play no matter what so I reckon he will be there. Might play forward more.

GVGjr
14-06-2024, 11:32 AM
My guess is that it was either Garcia or Sanders to come out with Richards and Weightman coming in.

bornadog
14-06-2024, 11:38 AM
My guess is that it was either Garcia or Sanders to come out with Richards and Weightman coming in.

Bevo in his presser said, Garcia needs to work on some aspects of his game. He may have got 20 odd disposals the last few weeks, but it is about quality not quantity. I noticed he had 7 turnovers last week and only 1 tackle. He will go back to VFL to work on these amongst other stuff. I also noticed the past two weeks he was caught holding the ball several times. I am happy with the explanation.

Mantis
14-06-2024, 11:44 AM
Bevo in his presser said, Garcia needs to work on some aspects of his game. He may have got 20 odd disposals the last few weeks, but it is about quality not quantity. I noticed he had 7 turnovers last week and only 1 tackle. He will go back to VFL to work on these amongst other stuff. I also noticed the past two weeks he was caught holding the ball several times. I am happy with the explanation.

There's clearly different rules & KPI's for different players.

So what now for Garcia? Based on early season form he'll go back to the VFL team, rack up 35+ touches and be in our best couple of players... he'll then come back into the senor team and play pretty much solely as a HF.

He would be well within his rights to ask for a trade at the end of the season.

azabob
14-06-2024, 12:46 PM
Funnily enough Corn Kanes said it is a head scratcher why Garcia has been dropped.

Not sure if he really cares or just another opportunity to have a go at Bevo!

azabob
14-06-2024, 12:47 PM
There's clearly different rules & KPI's for different players.

So what now for Garcia? Based on early season form he'll go back to the VFL team, rack up 35+ touches and be in our best couple of players... he'll then come back into the senor team and play pretty much solely as a HF.

He would be well within his rights to ask for a trade at the end of the season.

He is out of contract so it will be very straight forward for him if he wishes to leave.

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 12:52 PM
Funnily enough Corn Kanes said it is a head scratcher why Garcia has been dropped.

Not sure if he really cares or just another opportunity to have a go at Bevo!

He trawls forums for sentiment and rides that wave.

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 01:21 PM
GG I'm sure there's an AI generated Prince Harry mashup you can work on with this material.

Not AI - but a quick and dirty image edit.

https://i.postimg.cc/mgFCGsct/garciaspare.png (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
14-06-2024, 01:52 PM
He trawls forums for sentiment and rides that wave.

I think he might be on X more than he lets on and the MC was copping a fearful bagging until Bevo explained why Garcia was dropped and what he has been asked to work on.

Mantis
14-06-2024, 02:16 PM
I think he might be on X more than he lets on and the MC was copping a fearful bagging until Bevo explained why Garcia was dropped and what he has been asked to work on.

That explanation doesn't wash with me.

In my simplistic mind it's much easier to drop Garcia, who by no means deserves to be demoted rather than make the tough call on a Daniel or Macrae who continue to under-perform due to the ''bashing'' he copped earlier in the season.

As previously stated, there are clearly different rules & standards for different players which is shit.

jazzadogs
14-06-2024, 02:39 PM

In my simplistic mind it's much easier to drop Garcia, who by no means deserves to be demoted rather than make the tough call on a Daniel or Macrae who continue to under-perform due to the ''bashing'' he copped earlier in the season.

As previously stated, there are clearly different rules & standards for different players which is shit.

Or is the standard the same, and not easy for fans to objectively measure?

If it is about GPS numbers, positioning in the zone, playing his assigned role - maybe Macrae and Daniel are doing that better? They're not getting 30 touches but they must be playing a role.

Also the 'tough call' on Macrae and Daniel has already been made earlier this year! Now the tough call is on Garcia. He needs to listen to the feedback (which from Bevo's presser, sounds like it will be pretty clear) and improve. It would piss me off if he sooks off to another club because he's not a walk up start.

I don't disagree that dropping Garcia before Daniel is surprising, but I don't think it's because standards are different.

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 02:40 PM

Caleb before Garcia atm is a little interesting. All I can think is they play different roles. Seriously though what is Caleb's role ? He seems to look out of position all the time atm.

mighty_west
14-06-2024, 02:40 PM
Happy with the in's but like most others the Garcia omission is a strange one, more so that he isn't even listed as an emergency is just weird, which i understand his output may have dropped a bit and a few too many turnovers etc but his pressure was right up there, he also wasn't given enough time in the middle too especially when Bont was taken out of the game and Libba was a shell of himself, those are the decisions that stagger me and again like others have stated, why play him in the middle in the VFL and gather 30 odd possies, being in the bests, but then be promoted and play a completely different role? Likewise with not playing JOD back and moving Bont to CHF, Brissy were licking their lips thinking awesome, we get the shit Bulldogs team this week and not the one with a good structure playing dare in the middle which was brought out against the Swans and Collingwood.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2024, 03:13 PM
Some players get a lot more rope than others. It's the case at most clubs.

It's just annoying that for us, Garcia is one that gets less, while others less talented (Bramble) get more.

Each year, the MC get a new favourite (i.e. Gowers, Gardner, McComb, Baker, now Bramble) who will be gifted games for at least 1 full season before eventually falling off the cliff (literally all of Gowers, Gardner, McComb).

I like Gallagher but some of his running patterns and bad habits (i.e. kicking into the man or kicking off the ground when he should PICK the ball up) go unpunished. I'm not sure how there's ANY justification for picking Daniel over Garcia either.

I don't really cop Bevo's explanation.

jeemak
14-06-2024, 03:25 PM
Why would Beveridge go out in public and lie about the reasons he dropped Garcia and jeopardise the relationship he has with him?

He has basically said in plain English Garcia isn't performing in team defence and lacked a bit of quality. I mean he could be telling porkies, but I don't see how that would help him or anyone.

Grantysghost
14-06-2024, 03:30 PM
Why would Beveridge go out in public and lie about the reasons he dropped Garcia and jeopardise the relationship he has with him?

He has basically said in plain English Garcia isn't performing in team defence and lacked a bit of quality. I mean he could be telling porkies, but I don't see how that would help him or anyone.

Yes it would have to align with the internal message otherwise you'd completely undermine any trust you have with the player. I don't see that being Bevo's style at all, or any coach's for that matter.

bornadog
14-06-2024, 03:31 PM

Said the same about Sanders when he was dropped, and to his credit, took it on board and is back in the team. Dale was dropped, Macrae was dropped, Daniel was dropped. I see this season alot different to others as we are trying to change it up and not go same old, plus we have some youngsters that have earned their games, unlike in the past when we didn't have replacements and were forced to play some players.

Mantis
14-06-2024, 03:35 PM

It's not the matter of him lying, it's the matter of him making up BS reasons for dropping a player who has been performing well in a largely unsuitable role.

Sure, he wasn't amazing last week, but our starting midfield (including wings) had their collective asses handed to them, our defensive structure fell apart time and time again and we coughed up possession either under pressure or in open play.

In our loss to Sydney Garcia was in our best 5-6 players and then had an extremely strong last qtr to help us get a win against Collingwood. When comparing these performances to his peers one would hope he would have a few extra credits, but clearly that isn't the case.

GVGjr
14-06-2024, 04:01 PM

Same here, I don't think Bevo would explain his reasoning for Garcia's omission with the media if it doesn't match-up with what they've explained to the player. Sanders talked about how the communication is clear on what players need to do to earn a recall.
I saw Lade spending some time talking to Garcia on Wednesday so I think he knew early in the week what he needed to work on.

I get the arguments about Daniel and to a lesser extent Macrae being down on form and candidates for being dropped but I do accept Bevo's reasons for Garcia's surprise omission.

merantau
14-06-2024, 04:36 PM
The heat is on our midfield, Tim English and Rory Lobb. Unless they step right up, roll up their sleeves, put their shoulders to the wheel, get on the front foot and leave no stone unturned we will be blown out of the water. Time to put your hands up and DO SOMETHING!

bornadog
14-06-2024, 04:38 PM
The heat is on our midfield, Tim English and Rory Lobb. Unless they step right up, roll up their sleeves, put their shoulders to the wheel, get on the front foot and leave no stone unturned we will be blown out of the water. Time to put your hands up and DO SOMETHING!

Especially Lobb. He seems to be down in confidence at the moment. Hopefully he is motivated enough to beat his old team

kickit2Koly
14-06-2024, 05:29 PM
Or is the standard the same, and not easy for fans to objectively measure?

If it is about GPS numbers, positioning in the zone, playing his assigned role - maybe Macrae and Daniel are doing that better? They're not getting 30 touches but they must be playing a role.

Also the 'tough call' on Macrae and Daniel has already been made earlier this year! Now the tough call is on Garcia. He needs to listen to the feedback (which from Bevo's presser, sounds like it will be pretty clear) and improve. It would piss me off if he sooks off to another club because he's not a walk up start.

I don't disagree that dropping Garcia before Daniel is surprising, but I don't think it's because standards are different.

I agree with this, I also think Garcia has struggled with the new holding the ball interpretation. I haven't seen the stats to back this up but last week I feel like he got done holding the ball at least 3 or 4 times. From memory there was a couple more against the Pies as well.

having said that, I like what he brings and was a little surprised he got dropped before others.

bornadog
14-06-2024, 05:38 PM
Hopefully Bont is right to go, Bevo says he has been ill and is the reason he didn't train all week. In fact played against Collingwood as well feeling ordinary.

Uninformed
14-06-2024, 08:19 PM
I always really enjoy the sense of how the coach and assistants are able to see things the team need to do better to improve, and from that, what individuals need to learn to improve the team. To me Garcia seemed to be going well and brought some much needed pace, agility and hardness. But obviously there is much more to the game plan than an average punter like me is aware of.

whythelongface
14-06-2024, 08:30 PM
Are so many others have posted, the omission of Garcia makes little sense relative to the players retained on the side. If I was him, I would be contemplating a move to Perth.

Why? Cause he has been dropped? Gee if every player spat the dummy and wanted to go because they deem they are not getting a fair go, then you would have a hell of a players on the table seeking a request. He just needs to improve in certain areas to be a consistent performer to get a regular gig

hujsh
14-06-2024, 08:37 PM
Why? Cause he has been dropped? Gee if every player spat the dummy and wanted to go because they deem they are not getting a fair go, then you would have a hell of a players on the table seeking a request. He just needs to improve in certain areas to be a consistent performer to get a regular gig

Everyone's favourite fringe player should always be seeking a trade for how unjustly they've been treated. This week it's Garcia and Busslinger, other times it's been Khamis or Cleary. Daniel and Macrae were persecuted earlier in the year.

Not a lot of tears for McNeil though this year

bornadog
14-06-2024, 09:20 PM

GG has joined the conversation :D

G-Mo77
14-06-2024, 09:36 PM
McNeil's problem is that is worst stands out like dogs balls. We've got a guy like Bramble in the team who is hidden away, takes kick outs, hit's an easy target and statically looks OK. McNeil at the other end can't hide, doesn't get the easy 1 - 2 and everyone can see it. Neither should be on our list but here we are.

Grantysghost
15-06-2024, 12:23 AM
GG has joined the conversation :D

If someone has to make way for Weightman then im ok with it being McNeil.
He's depth.

Also wtf!?

jeemak
15-06-2024, 12:28 AM
I always really enjoy the sense of how the coach and assistants are able to see things the team need to do better to improve, and from that, what individuals need to learn to improve the team. To me Garcia seemed to be going well and brought some much needed pace, agility and hardness. But obviously there is much more to the game plan than an average punter like me is aware of.

What would be really awesome would be to sit with the coaches and observe their behind the goal reviews of matches. Reckon you'd learn a lot about what's going on.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2024, 05:49 AM
Welcome back.

I like Garcia but I guess what has he done over the past couple of weeks that we are gonna miss?

I'm way too lazy to look stuff up but I'm pretty sure his tackling has dropped right away the last few weeks - he laid 5-6 in his first 3-4 games and lately it's been more like 1-2.

I totally get the conversation around "it shoulda been Gallagher" etc but Garcia is still a young developing player and needs to be held accountable for his week-to-week performances. We need him playing on the edge, not playing on the edge of the contest.

I wasn't impressed by him last week and whilst I'm surprised he's out I think it is unfair to say that Garcia being left out is a sign of the apocalypse.

Agree. I think the stats inflate what I thought he did from an execution standpoint last week and he?s been not as good as he was when he first came back.

We need to play to his strengths more too so I imagine it?s a bit frustrating, but ultimately you?re judged against the role you?re asked to play.

Mantis
15-06-2024, 09:16 AM
Everyone's favourite fringe player should always be seeking a trade for how unjustly they've been treated. This week it's Garcia and Busslinger, other times it's been Khamis or Cleary. Daniel and Macrae were persecuted earlier in the year.

If you?re trying to compare how both McNeil and Garcia have performed this year you?re probably playing this game incorrectly.

Scorlibo
15-06-2024, 10:26 AM
Agree. I think the stats inflate what I thought he did from an execution standpoint last week and he?s been not as good as he was when he first came back.

We need to play to his strengths more too so I imagine it?s a bit frustrating, but ultimately you?re judged against the role you?re asked to play.

I'd challenge you to go and watch his extended highlights (every involvement) through the AFL app.

He made one clear error with ball in hand - kicking blindly around the corner on his left foot straight to Brisbane, under no pressure. Then while being tackled he's put one handball behind Treloar on the wing, and it's gone oob. Two holding the ball decisions, one he was stiff and the other a great tackle from McKenna. Gave away a free kick in a marking contest on the fifty - a bit stiff.

That's kind of it, otherwise he was clean enough and his contested work was brilliant. There's some quickfire handballs that probably went unnoticed in real time - eg. winning the contested ball inside fifty to set up Bont's banana goal.

I'm at peace with the idea that there's a whole bunch of positioning work and running patterns that the coaches are after, and we simply can't pick up on this part of the game. It's frustrating, but I accept it. However I can't accept that based on what we do see, and based on what we can measure, Garcia's performance against Brisbane was poor, or even sub-par.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2024, 11:38 AM
I'd challenge you to go and watch his extended highlights (every involvement) through the AFL app.

He made one clear error with ball in hand - kicking blindly around the corner on his left foot straight to Brisbane, under no pressure. Then while being tackled he's put one handball behind Treloar on the wing, and it's gone oob. Two holding the ball decisions, one he was stiff and the other a great tackle from McKenna. Gave away a free kick in a marking contest on the fifty - a bit stiff.

That's kind of it, otherwise he was clean enough and his contested work was brilliant. There's some quickfire handballs that probably went unnoticed in real time - eg. winning the contested ball inside fifty to set up Bont's banana goal.

I'm at peace with the idea that there's a whole bunch of positioning work and running patterns that the coaches are after, and we simply can't pick up on this part of the game. It's frustrating, but I accept it. However I can't accept that based on what we do see, and based on what we can measure, Garcia's performance against Brisbane was poor, or even sub-par.

It’s a good challenge.

I haven’t watched any footage, and am commenting on what stood out to me in real time (and was sitting behind the goals in the players area) so didn’t get quite the sense I’d normally get from the wing.

I do like that he gets the ball and tries stuff, which does leave you more open to stuffing it up from time to time, and absolutely think he’s developing well and has a big future at AFL level. He’s got some work-ons too and that’s ok.

Let’s see how he responds and hopefully he’s back soon enough.

hujsh
15-06-2024, 09:11 PM
If you?re trying to compare how both McNeil and Garcia have performed this year you?re probably playing this game incorrectly.

Lol no one is doing that