PDA

View Full Version : The Johno Effect?

bulldogtragic
07-04-2024, 10:41 AM
Season 2024 Scoring Shots:

???

62.63 Accuracy

We?ve gone gone from the very bottom of clubs goal kicking accuracy to nearly 2 out of 3 scoring shots goaling. While still having some howlers from Marra in particular.

Is this the Brad Johnson effect?

soupman
07-04-2024, 11:28 AM
It definitely illustrates how utterly insane it has been for the club to have not addressed it for approx 7 years until this year, when it has so clearly been a huge issue.

GVGjr
07-04-2024, 11:36 AM
Hard to say if it's the Johnno effect or not but there has been a greater emphasis on goal kicking at the training sessions when compared to 12 months back.
As Soup has mentioned it's more than a bit surprising that it's taken until January of this year to employ someone even on a part time basis to develop a program that hopefully improves the conversion rate of our forwards and mids. Spangher is the one implementing it so he must share in some of the acknowledgement if it continues

SonofScray
07-04-2024, 11:38 AM
The blindfolds work.

josie
07-04-2024, 01:02 PM
The blindfolds work.

Ha ha. Something I've noticed is our missed set shots are often not missing by much, fewer out & out sprays. I think Johnno has had a positive impact.

Dazza
09-04-2024, 12:06 PM
Still needs work. Vandemeer is going at 16%. 1.2 from 6 attempts

josie
09-04-2024, 12:13 PM
Still needs work. Vandemeer is going at 16%. 1.2 from 6 attempts

He is as frustrating to watch kick for goal as Honeychurch was. Gutsy yes, skilled no.

ledge
09-04-2024, 01:32 PM
Just put a big target behind the goals. Melbourne’s Cheer squad have been doing it for years .

Rocket Science
09-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Just put a big target behind the goals. Melbourne?s Cheer squad have been doing it for years .

https://i.ibb.co/JxrgYgd/AIM-HERE.png (https://ibb.co/1sRjCjn)

Uninformed
09-04-2024, 06:21 PM
Yes. The Johnson effect! Long may it continue.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2024, 10:44 AM

——

59.85% Scoring Shot Accuracy

ledge
19-04-2024, 10:59 AM

——

59.85% Scoring Shot Accuracy

It’s quite funny now the Johnno effect isn’t the reason, apparebtly it’s a golfer.
Fox is loving it as Johnno is in their payroll so they can make it about them.

angelopetraglia
19-04-2024, 11:00 AM
On the stats for Expected Score from set shots. We are just above the AFL average. Just. So our set shot accuracy is is middle of the road. Last year we were just below average. 2022 we were were also just below average.

So what I think is super important when it comes to overall goal kicking accuracy is where are you getting those shots?

ledge
19-04-2024, 11:06 AM
On the stats for Expected Score from set shots. We are just above the AFL average. Just. So our set shot accuracy is is middle of the road. Last year we were just below average. 2022 we were were also just below average.

So what I think is super important when it comes to overall goal kicking accuracy is where are you getting those shots?

That’s always been a bugbear of mine, to say a player is kicking bad and using goals v points is very lazy . How far out were they? What angle were they , were they on the run under pressure just trying to get boot to ball ?
I think our problem is more our forwards run into pockets making harder angles , last night we tended to go more direct.

Scorlibo
19-04-2024, 11:37 AM

To this point we're ranked number 5 in the competition for expected score per shot, we were 11th last year. Generating better opportunities.

angelopetraglia
19-04-2024, 11:52 AM
To this point we're ranked number 5 in the competition for expected score per shot, we were 11th last year. Generating better opportunities.

The stats I referenced were specically around set shots. As that is what the focus of the training is on.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2024, 10:55 PM
What’s happening? The goal kicking was looking better, but some bad kicking is coming back again.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 01:46 AM
What’s happening? The goal kicking was looking better, but some bad kicking is coming back again.

It was the gettable set shots that just kill you. West from 20m (kicked a helicopter). Bont and Daniel in the last quarter. VDM direclty in front (albeit from distance in the first).

That is the game. Right there. The game.

soupman
24-05-2024, 06:35 AM
Was it that bad last night? We missed a few sure but who doesn't?

Most of our points were tough shots from in play, rushed or right on the limit of players range (Daniel and West).

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 08:36 AM
Was it that bad last night? We missed a few sure but who doesn't?

Most of our points were tough shots from in play, rushed or right on the limit of players range (Daniel and West).

We missed a few, but what magnified that is that they shot the lights out.

azabob
24-05-2024, 08:46 AM
We missed a few, but what magnified that is that they shot the lights out.

Yeah. Sydney skills in general are next level.

Mantis
24-05-2024, 08:51 AM
It was the gettable set shots that just kill you. West from 20m (kicked a helicopter). Bont and Daniel in the last quarter. VDM direclty in front (albeit from distance in the first).

That is the game. Right there. The game.

I thought the Bailey Dale miss in the 2nd qtr was more important... would've put us 9pts up with all the momentum. He missed and they scored a goal soon after the moment had passed.

Grantysghost
24-05-2024, 09:11 AM
The Swans are the #1 side scoring from front half stoppages in the league, and the #1 side scoring from defensive 50 intercepts. We had 14 inside 50 stops for 2 goals 1. They had 5 for 2 straight.

I know we missed set shots (so did they) however if you dig deeper there are more reasons for a large number of behinds. Turn over goals for eg will generally give you an unset defence.

We had 5 rushed behinds, our forward half kicking efficiency was well below theirs (55 v 76 at one point in second) there are so many factors.

Goal kicking is the most obvious, and is critical of course but doesn't paint the entire picture.

jazzadogs
24-05-2024, 09:18 AM
On expected score, which I know is not an exact science, we win by 7 points.

I think that's the third or fourth game we have 'won' based on the opportunities we have created, but lost on the real scoreboard.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 09:27 AM
On expected score, which I know is not an exact science, we win by 7 points.

I think that's the third or fourth game we have 'won' based on the opportunities we have created, but lost on the real scoreboard.

Yes. The biggest difference wasn't that the Dogs expected score should have been higher, it was the Swans should have been much lower. They kicked some incredible goals.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 09:47 AM
28 scoring shots to 22. Goals missed from set shots were gettable. Dale running into an open goal, West 25m out, Bont from 30m. You must take your opportunities.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2024, 09:50 AM
28 scoring shots to 22. Goals missed from set shots were gettable. Dale running into an open goal, West 25m out, Bont from 30m. You must take your opportunities.

Gags missed a sitter on the run from 20m too in the first half. We blew it so many times.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 09:57 AM
Gags missed a sitter on the run from 20m too in the first half. We blew it so many times.

Thanks BT, I can't remember them all. I am still angry we lost.

Sedat
24-05-2024, 10:04 AM
I thought the Bailey Dale miss in the 2nd qtr was more important... would've put us 9pts up with all the momentum. He missed and they scored a goal soon after the moment had passed.
It was a really poor miss for a player with normally exquisite foot skills. He was good last night but that was a bad moment, and very costly with regard to momentum shift.

azabob
24-05-2024, 10:05 AM
It was a really poor miss for a player with normally exquisite foot skills. he was good last night but that was a bad moment, and very costly with regard to momentum shift.

He really tried to straighten up too much. He should have gone on his left foot.

GVGjr
24-05-2024, 10:31 AM

Had just one or two of those resulted in maximum points then the game and outcome could have been very different.
It's plagued us for a while now.

ledge
24-05-2024, 10:54 AM
Had just one or two of those resulted in maximum points then the game and outcome could have been very different.
It's plagued us for a while now.

About 4 years maybe longer .
It’s the easy goals that hurt.
What about the commentators mentioning that Jamarra was ignored so many times ?
It must have stood out big time to be noted by them.
West is great with getting the ball but his disposal is terrible if it’s not instinct, don’t give him time and he does the right thing, give him time and he will make bad decisions. I noticed that while they were doing a match sim at skinner last season.

Happy Days
24-05-2024, 11:46 AM
I believe that?s the first goal that Dale has missed on the run in his life.