PDA

View Full Version : Port Adelaide - The Great Pretenders

Scraggers
02-05-2024, 10:33 PM
Port Adelaide Power are absolute pretenders and Ken Hinkley should be sacked.

When you consider the talent they have within their player ranks, they should be achieving greatness; unfortunately under Hinkley, they are struggling to achieve mediocrity.

With the pressure that has been firmly placed on Bevo, how does Hinkley and PAP avoid this scrutiny. They?re not a top team in the AFL; they?re not even the top team in their State.

Discuss …

bornadog
02-05-2024, 11:39 PM
I was listening to Dwayne today whilst in the car, and a caller rang to bag Bevo and the club. Basically Dwayne said at least the Bulldogs have won a flag. He said you look at Port and Brisbane with all the talent and they haven't won one.

How many times did Port finish on top for the season, only to be bundled out in straight sets.

Agree - they are the pretenders closely followed by Brisbane

ledge
03-05-2024, 09:13 AM
They are softer than butter and have been for years.
Biggest downhill skiers since Eddie the eagle.
One ounce of pressure and they collapse like a game of jenga.
Just mention finals and they shit themselves.
Butters is the only player who turns up all game and he is Victorian.
Horne Francis has all the tricks but only turns up for a quarter.
Dickson is slower than a 1920s tractor and has the turning circle of B-double.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 09:27 AM

And Butters has requested a trade to the Bulldogs, so that'll be the end of them.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 10:13 AM
And Butters has requested a trade to the Bulldogs, so that'll be the end of them.

Make way for him now

GVGjr
03-05-2024, 10:28 AM
I actually like the way they aggressively traded for players like Zerk-Thatcher, JHF and Ratugolea and of course the way they positioned themselves for Butters and Rozee etc. It hasn't worked yet but good on them for moving all-in to try and win it.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 10:32 AM
I actually like the way they aggressively traded for players like Zerk-Thatcher, JHF and Ratugolea and of course the way they positioned themselves for Butters and Rozee etc. It hasn't worked yet but good on them for moving all-in to try and win it.

You're right it hasn't worked though. Time for a spill. Butters for Smith. You read it here first.

azabob
03-05-2024, 10:34 AM

I think they aggressively traded for the wrong players. IMO Alir Alir isn't as good as everyone says and well, Ratugolea is a poor mans Alir Alir.

JHF will be an interesting watch. Clearly he is a man in a hurry and doesn't seem to suffer fools or poor performance on or off field.

Scraggers
03-05-2024, 10:36 AM

Could the same not be said for us and Sanders?

Happy Days
03-05-2024, 10:37 AM
Ratugolea and BZT were just about the worst two starting key defenders in the AFL last year and Port traded both of them in at once. It’s complete subtraction by addition and I’m surprised we didn’t do it ourselves.

GVGjr
03-05-2024, 10:40 AM
Could the same not be said for us and Sanders?

I'm more than okay with what we did to position ourselves for Sanders.
We are excellent position to pivot the list depending on what happens with Smith and English.

SlimPickens
03-05-2024, 10:50 AM
This conversation seems very glass houses to me.

whythelongface
03-05-2024, 10:51 AM

Rozee and Butters are the only two. Rozee was playing with an injury last night which clearly affected him. That’s how important he is.

But overall Port are meh. Supporters have been wanting to get rid of Hinkley for years.

Sweet didn’t do much last night.

azabob
03-05-2024, 10:55 AM

Yes and Yes.

Slim would love to hear your thoughts in a few of the broader threads around the direction of the club; Sharp Axes, List Management 2024 and the aftermarth of the Game Day threads.

Mantis
03-05-2024, 11:17 AM
It isn't all that easy to win a flag.

Port have been able to put themselves in a strong position consistently over the past 6-8 years (which is extremely commendable) and have fallen just short, which happens.

Their recent record against the best teams shows they're just a little bit off the pace so I get why they chased the players they did, which were probably the best out of the options available. We got extremely lucky having Liam Jones fall in our laps, but feel that if that didn't work out that we too would be chasing the best recycled players we could to fill that hole.

Happy Days
03-05-2024, 11:17 AM

The thing with glass houses is that you can see very clearly out of them.

mjp
03-05-2024, 11:18 AM
I think this could be a dual thread...Port AND the Bulldogs are pretenders...Discuss.

Anyone actually confident we can beat Hawthorn this week?

ReLoad
03-05-2024, 12:16 PM
This thread is about us right?

Dont get me wrong, as others have posted above, yes we have won a flag, and were elbow deep in another granny, but surely they have to make a move on the coach?

Change when done the right way for the right reasons is very powerful.

Mitcha
03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Stand by for the sound of silence from one Kane Cornes.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 01:05 PM
I think this could be a dual thread...Port AND the Bulldogs are pretenders...Discuss.

Of course we can. But that isn't the right question.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 01:21 PM
Of course we can. But that isn't the right question.

Did we have any media scrutiny that would create a backs to the wall like attitude this week?

(is that it?)

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 01:46 PM
Did we have any media scrutiny that would create a backs to the wall like attitude this week?

(is that it?)

No, it's simpler that that. Can we beat them? Of course. But will we?

whythelongface
03-05-2024, 02:42 PM

Dont get me wrong, as others have posted above, yes we have won a flag, and were elbow deep in another granny, but surely they have to make a move on the coach?

It can be but it can also be an abject failure. Really comes down to personnel available at the time. There are many instances where change has had not the intended purpose and clubs have gone backwards (this is across all sports and not just AFL).

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 02:55 PM
Ah yes

MrMahatma
03-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Their defence is undersized and can't handle our talls.
Our midfield is STACKED and theirs is still very raw and developing.
Their forward line is makeshift at best, and potentially the worst in the league (this week).
We have the AA ruckman.

So.... I anticipate us getting jumped early and prob being 3-4 goals down at half-time, and lose by a kick.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 03:58 PM
Their defence is undersized and can't handle our talls.
Our midfield is STACKED and theirs is still very raw and developing.
Their forward line is makeshift at best, and potentially the worst in the league (this week).
We have the AA ruckman.

So.... I anticipate us getting jumped early and prob being 3-4 goals down at half-time, and lose by a kick.
Their midfield beat us up last time out.

Will Day back too.

At Marvel i expect at least we will be competitive and probably lose after the siren.

Scraggers
03-05-2024, 08:16 PM

This thread is about the hypocrisy of the media.

I get the pressure that Bevo is under, and in some respects, rightly so. But the fact that there are teams like Port and Brisbane who get a free pass and have under-achieved more than we have (two grand final appearances in the last 8 years) really irks me. There was no way Cornes was going to let fly at Hinkley like he had Bevo. Hinkley’s game plan has more holes than my dungarees, but Hinkley gets a free ride. In fact, Damien Barrett lauded Hinkley in his excretion this morning. There is too much of a double standard that sees supporters like us split as to praising or lambasting Bevo and I’m sick of my team being the plaything of the media where they’re too lazy to actually be a journalist.

jeemak
03-05-2024, 10:19 PM
Port has an awesome home ground advantage (only share it with one team, narrow and long), so naturally they should be winning a lot of home games. Yes I understand they have to travel more than other sides, but it's not onerous travel like the WA teams have to put up with, but the Adelaide teams are the only teams able to reach all cities within three hours, and they now get an additional game with Gather Round.

So if they're in a good list position, which they clearly are presently, then they should be final eight competitive and depending on the fixture and how Adelaide is going at the time, should be able to bank some more wins than the teams that share Docklands and the MCG might expect when it comes to home games.

With that in mind they should be where they are now, 5-3. With their only two away games being at the MCG with a win against Richmond and a loss against Collingood, and their home wins against West Coast, Essendon, Dockers and Saint Kilda with a loss to Adelaide, it will be really interesting to see how they fare over the next phase of the season.

It's subjective but it looks like they have a pretty soft fixture coming up. If they can't maintain their position then they should come under a lot of pressure. If they can maintain their position but shit the bed in the finals then they need to be thinking about what's stopping them from being better.

Fixture:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tg-port-adelaide-power

But the media won't pile onto them. Koshie won't allow it and Hinkley speaks like a hick which is what the media want to hear.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 06:45 PM

Sigh… yep.