PDA

View Full Version : Port Adelaide - The Great Pretenders

Scraggers
02-05-2024, 10:33 PM
Port Adelaide Power are absolute pretenders and Ken Hinkley should be sacked.

When you consider the talent they have within their player ranks, they should be achieving greatness; unfortunately under Hinkley, they are struggling to achieve mediocrity.

With the pressure that has been firmly placed on Bevo, how does Hinkley and PAP avoid this scrutiny. They?re not a top team in the AFL; they?re not even the top team in their State.

Discuss …

bornadog
02-05-2024, 11:39 PM
I was listening to Dwayne today whilst in the car, and a caller rang to bag Bevo and the club. Basically Dwayne said at least the Bulldogs have won a flag. He said you look at Port and Brisbane with all the talent and they haven't won one.

How many times did Port finish on top for the season, only to be bundled out in straight sets.

Agree - they are the pretenders closely followed by Brisbane

ledge
03-05-2024, 09:13 AM
They are softer than butter and have been for years.
Biggest downhill skiers since Eddie the eagle.
One ounce of pressure and they collapse like a game of jenga.
Just mention finals and they shit themselves.
Butters is the only player who turns up all game and he is Victorian.
Horne Francis has all the tricks but only turns up for a quarter.
Dickson is slower than a 1920s tractor and has the turning circle of B-double.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 09:27 AM

And Butters has requested a trade to the Bulldogs, so that'll be the end of them.

bornadog
03-05-2024, 10:13 AM
And Butters has requested a trade to the Bulldogs, so that'll be the end of them.

Make way for him now

GVGjr
03-05-2024, 10:28 AM
I actually like the way they aggressively traded for players like Zerk-Thatcher, JHF and Ratugolea and of course the way they positioned themselves for Butters and Rozee etc. It hasn't worked yet but good on them for moving all-in to try and win it.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 10:32 AM
I actually like the way they aggressively traded for players like Zerk-Thatcher, JHF and Ratugolea and of course the way they positioned themselves for Butters and Rozee etc. It hasn't worked yet but good on them for moving all-in to try and win it.

You're right it hasn't worked though. Time for a spill. Butters for Smith. You read it here first.

azabob
03-05-2024, 10:34 AM

I think they aggressively traded for the wrong players. IMO Alir Alir isn't as good as everyone says and well, Ratugolea is a poor mans Alir Alir.

JHF will be an interesting watch. Clearly he is a man in a hurry and doesn't seem to suffer fools or poor performance on or off field.

Scraggers
03-05-2024, 10:36 AM

Could the same not be said for us and Sanders?

Happy Days
03-05-2024, 10:37 AM
Ratugolea and BZT were just about the worst two starting key defenders in the AFL last year and Port traded both of them in at once. It’s complete subtraction by addition and I’m surprised we didn’t do it ourselves.

GVGjr
03-05-2024, 10:40 AM
Could the same not be said for us and Sanders?

I'm more than okay with what we did to position ourselves for Sanders.
We are excellent position to pivot the list depending on what happens with Smith and English.

SlimPickens
03-05-2024, 10:50 AM
This conversation seems very glass houses to me.

whythelongface
03-05-2024, 10:51 AM

Rozee and Butters are the only two. Rozee was playing with an injury last night which clearly affected him. That’s how important he is.

But overall Port are meh. Supporters have been wanting to get rid of Hinkley for years.

Sweet didn’t do much last night.

azabob
03-05-2024, 10:55 AM

Yes and Yes.

Slim would love to hear your thoughts in a few of the broader threads around the direction of the club; Sharp Axes, List Management 2024 and the aftermarth of the Game Day threads.

Mantis
03-05-2024, 11:17 AM
It isn't all that easy to win a flag.

Port have been able to put themselves in a strong position consistently over the past 6-8 years (which is extremely commendable) and have fallen just short, which happens.

Their recent record against the best teams shows they're just a little bit off the pace so I get why they chased the players they did, which were probably the best out of the options available. We got extremely lucky having Liam Jones fall in our laps, but feel that if that didn't work out that we too would be chasing the best recycled players we could to fill that hole.

Happy Days
03-05-2024, 11:17 AM

The thing with glass houses is that you can see very clearly out of them.

mjp
03-05-2024, 11:18 AM
I think this could be a dual thread...Port AND the Bulldogs are pretenders...Discuss.

Anyone actually confident we can beat Hawthorn this week?

ReLoad
03-05-2024, 12:16 PM
This thread is about us right?

Dont get me wrong, as others have posted above, yes we have won a flag, and were elbow deep in another granny, but surely they have to make a move on the coach?

Change when done the right way for the right reasons is very powerful.

Mitcha
03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Stand by for the sound of silence from one Kane Cornes.

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 01:05 PM
I think this could be a dual thread...Port AND the Bulldogs are pretenders...Discuss.

Of course we can. But that isn't the right question.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 01:21 PM
Of course we can. But that isn't the right question.

Did we have any media scrutiny that would create a backs to the wall like attitude this week?

(is that it?)

EasternWest
03-05-2024, 01:46 PM
Did we have any media scrutiny that would create a backs to the wall like attitude this week?

(is that it?)

No, it's simpler that that. Can we beat them? Of course. But will we?

whythelongface
03-05-2024, 02:42 PM

Dont get me wrong, as others have posted above, yes we have won a flag, and were elbow deep in another granny, but surely they have to make a move on the coach?

It can be but it can also be an abject failure. Really comes down to personnel available at the time. There are many instances where change has had not the intended purpose and clubs have gone backwards (this is across all sports and not just AFL).

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 02:55 PM
Ah yes

MrMahatma
03-05-2024, 03:57 PM

Their defence is undersized and can't handle our talls.
Our midfield is STACKED and theirs is still very raw and developing.
Their forward line is makeshift at best, and potentially the worst in the league (this week).
We have the AA ruckman.

So.... I anticipate us getting jumped early and prob being 3-4 goals down at half-time, and lose by a kick.

Grantysghost
03-05-2024, 03:58 PM
Their defence is undersized and can't handle our talls.
Our midfield is STACKED and theirs is still very raw and developing.
Their forward line is makeshift at best, and potentially the worst in the league (this week).
We have the AA ruckman.

So.... I anticipate us getting jumped early and prob being 3-4 goals down at half-time, and lose by a kick.
Their midfield beat us up last time out.

Will Day back too.

At Marvel i expect at least we will be competitive and probably lose after the siren.

Scraggers
03-05-2024, 08:16 PM

This thread is about the hypocrisy of the media.

I get the pressure that Bevo is under, and in some respects, rightly so. But the fact that there are teams like Port and Brisbane who get a free pass and have under-achieved more than we have (two grand final appearances in the last 8 years) really irks me. There was no way Cornes was going to let fly at Hinkley like he had Bevo. Hinkley’s game plan has more holes than my dungarees, but Hinkley gets a free ride. In fact, Damien Barrett lauded Hinkley in his excretion this morning. There is too much of a double standard that sees supporters like us split as to praising or lambasting Bevo and I’m sick of my team being the plaything of the media where they’re too lazy to actually be a journalist.

jeemak
03-05-2024, 10:19 PM
Port has an awesome home ground advantage (only share it with one team, narrow and long), so naturally they should be winning a lot of home games. Yes I understand they have to travel more than other sides, but it's not onerous travel like the WA teams have to put up with, but the Adelaide teams are the only teams able to reach all cities within three hours, and they now get an additional game with Gather Round.

So if they're in a good list position, which they clearly are presently, then they should be final eight competitive and depending on the fixture and how Adelaide is going at the time, should be able to bank some more wins than the teams that share Docklands and the MCG might expect when it comes to home games.

With that in mind they should be where they are now, 5-3. With their only two away games being at the MCG with a win against Richmond and a loss against Collingood, and their home wins against West Coast, Essendon, Dockers and Saint Kilda with a loss to Adelaide, it will be really interesting to see how they fare over the next phase of the season.

It's subjective but it looks like they have a pretty soft fixture coming up. If they can't maintain their position then they should come under a lot of pressure. If they can maintain their position but shit the bed in the finals then they need to be thinking about what's stopping them from being better.

Fixture:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tg-port-adelaide-power

But the media won't pile onto them. Koshie won't allow it and Hinkley speaks like a hick which is what the media want to hear.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 06:45 PM

Sigh… yep.

Scraggers
14-09-2024, 12:04 AM
Ken Hinkley is a quality human and a great role model for the greater football public. This doesn’t need to be said. And now he’s proven what a quality winner he is as well.

Or …

Hawthorn are sooks

Discuss :cool:

bornadog
14-09-2024, 12:08 AM
Ken Hinkley is a quality human and a great role model for the greater football public. This doesn’t need to be said. And now he’s proven what a quality winner he is as well.

Or …

Hawthorn are sooks

I agree Ken seems like a nice bloke and will back his players to the hilt.

Hawk players trying to make it all fun out there but you can enjoy it without being flogs - it is a professional sport so act like professionals.

G-Mo77
14-09-2024, 01:02 AM
Hawks sooking like they've been remarkable role models all season. If you mouth off that's fine, just don't come crying when you get it back.

jeemak
14-09-2024, 02:26 AM
As per my previous post in this thread they're capitalising on a pretty awesome home ground advantage and what turned out to be a relatively soft fixture based on where the cards fell.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1203020/whose-fixture-was-hardest-port-adelaide-power-capitalise-adelaide-crows-dealt-brutal-run

Rocking up to a qualifying final asleep and getting done by 84 points by a team with a similar home ground is by and by, they beat the Cats at Geelong earlier this year. They closed down the Hawks really well tonight on their skinny home deck, we got exposed by the Hawks on the wide MCG.

So credit to them for fighting it out and getting into a prelim. Prelim weekends can bring out the crazy, if Sydney aren't on their game next week it could easily go to shit for them.

lemmon
14-09-2024, 09:29 AM
Ken Hinkley is a quality human and a great role model for the greater football public. This doesn?t need to be said. And now he?s proven what a quality winner he is as well.

Or ?

Hawthorn are sooks

I loved it from Ken.

He's been cooked in the media all week, everyone's loved the lippy Hawks and his side's been written off. It's not a good look while Breust is being chaired off (though Sicily can take some blame there), but Ginnivan seemed fine with it.

Live by the banter, die by the banter. It's ridiculous for Mitchell to get worked up about it despite pushing the 'showtime Hawks' stuff all well.

Bulldog Joe
14-09-2024, 09:44 AM
I loved it from Ken.

He's been cooked in the media all week, everyone's loved the lippy Hawks and his side's been written off. It's not a good look while Breust is being chaired off (though Sicily can take some blame there), but Ginnivan seemed fine with it.

Live by the banter, die by the banter. It's ridiculous for Mitchell to get worked up about it despite pushing the 'showtime Hawks' stuff all well.

Ken was over the top but Sicily did not set the Captain example by going on with it to the extent that he had to be restrained by the players he should be leading.

The fact that Sam Mitchell made a point of defending Sicily at the Press conference is enough of a comment on Hawthorn arrogance and entitlement.

Happy Days
14-09-2024, 10:03 AM
Oh wow look it’s Port Adelaide getting super weird about something that has nothing to do with actually winning or losing games, that’s so unlike them.

mjp
14-09-2024, 10:23 AM
I loved it from Ken.

I didn't love it but Hawthorn have opened the door...they keep going on about being allowed to 'be themselves' - but when the boot's on the other foot they don't like it?

Ken was being a twit but Hawthorn 100% started it. To be fair to Ginnivan, he actually seemed fine with the back and forth...

lemmon
14-09-2024, 10:36 AM
I didn't love it but Hawthorn have opened the door...they keep going on about being allowed to 'be themselves' - but when the boot's on the other foot they don't like it?

Ken was being a twit but Hawthorn 100% started it. To be fair to Ginnivan, he actually seemed fine with the back and forth...

I think Ginnivan actually 'gets it', which is fun. Sometimes the lippy small forward kicks a goal from the pocket, sometimes he gets put on his arse - it's all pantomime and none of it's particularly serious.

I think the Hawks were good for footy this year and hopefully double down on it again. They'll be the heel next year if they're winning games, giving cheek and everyone realises their 2024 favourite team was actually the arrogant ever-winning behemoth that is Hawthorn, and not the upstart underdog.

The Adelaide Connection
14-09-2024, 11:38 AM
Just on a bit of a tangent, did any chance we could get Butters just go out the window?

General consensus is that his status is tied to Ken and a straight set exit would maybe seen him meet his end.

Do we need to hope Port get another 84 point belting in the Prelim?

jeemak
14-09-2024, 12:04 PM
Oh wow look it’s Port Adelaide getting super weird about something that has nothing to do with actually winning or losing games, that’s so unlike them.

I was waiting for you to get involved in this.

Still use the drunk maggot at the pub looking to fight anyone who doesn't want it analogy regularly in daily life.

Scraggers
14-09-2024, 04:07 PM
Ken was over the top but Sicily did not set the Captain example by going on with it to the extent that he had to be restrained by the players he should be leading.

The fact that Sam Mitchell made a point of defending Sicily at the Press conference is enough of a comment on Hawthorn arrogance and entitlement.

Sam Mitchell has a short memory doesn’t he? He was quick to have a go at the Essendon players shooting up. What do they say about people in glass houses??

MrMahatma
14-09-2024, 07:59 PM
Sam Mitchell has a short memory doesn’t he? He was quick to have a go at the Essendon players shooting up. What do they say about people in glass houses??

That was player to player during a match. You can see this is different can’t you?

Scraggers
14-09-2024, 11:35 PM
That was player to player during a match. You can see this is different can’t you?

Not when he’s a senior player having a go at 19 year old. I can stand Hinkley … thus the thread. But what he said was very mild. “You’re not flying” … please. Didn’t accuse him of drug cheating; just called Ginnivan on his shit. Nothing to see here

azabob
15-09-2024, 10:08 AM
Not when he’s a senior player having a go at 19 year old. I can stand Hinkley … thus the thread. But what he said was very mild. “You’re not flying” … please. Didn’t accuse him of drug cheating; just called Ginnivan on his shit. Nothing to see here

Huh? What senior player?

bornadog
15-09-2024, 10:48 AM
Huh? What senior player?

Scraggers was talking about Mitchell and the go he had at Essendon players during the drug saga - the pretend injection action

merantau
15-09-2024, 01:35 PM
On August 3, Port Adelaide destroyed Sydney by 112 points at the Adelaide Oval. They will come to play in Sydney. They will be ready for anything

Scraggers
15-09-2024, 03:36 PM
On August 3, Port Adelaide destroyed Sydney by 112 points at the Adelaide Oval. They will come to play in Sydney. They will be ready for anything

It will be interesting to see what toll the week plays on PAP. This last week was full of emotion. For all the wrong (and right) reasons. That can be draining. To back that up against (arguably) the best team in the league, will be difficult. When you add to that Sydney have played one game in the last three weeks, the Swans will be full of run. I don’t think PAP will be able to match their efforts from August 3.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2024, 07:16 PM
$20,000 fine for Ken.

jeemak
15-09-2024, 08:04 PM
$20,000 fine for Ken.

Apparently that was as bad as a coach walking onto the ground at a reserves game he wasn't involved in and calling a player a homophobic slur.........

AFEL!

Grantysghost
15-09-2024, 08:13 PM
$20,000 fine for Ken.
Worth it.

bornadog
15-09-2024, 08:28 PM
$20,000 fine for Ken.

AFL are a joke of an organisation

Sedat
15-09-2024, 09:12 PM
Apparently that was as bad as a coach walking onto the ground at a reserves game he wasn't involved in and calling a player a homophobic slur.........

AFEL!
What about the AFEL spending about 5 minutes to tick off the decision-making by everyone involved in Peteacca almost dying in hospital on the night of Kings Birthday?

Hurt feelings more important than a near fatality - make it make sense

azabob
15-09-2024, 09:41 PM
What about the AFEL spending about 5 minutes to tick off the decision-making by everyone involved in Peteacca almost dying in hospital on the night of Kings Birthday?

https://youtu.be/EuJzSTNDUGI?si=3KsIwy-748iSuxCi

jeemak
16-09-2024, 01:03 AM

He made the decision to go back onto the field - and the doctors were forced to let that happen. Doctors are now just part of the anti-expert bullshit that pervades pretty much all elements of society.

Bulldog Joe
16-09-2024, 08:11 AM

Isn't this just part of 21st Century society?

The same people who want to give violent offenders a second/third chance also want to persecute everyone who says something that counters their social justice agenda.

EasternWest
16-09-2024, 09:27 AM
Isn't this just part of 21st Century society?

The same people who want to give violent offenders a second/third chance also want to persecute everyone who says something that counters their social justice agenda.

Needs more "woke" to really tick all the boxes.

Happy Days
16-09-2024, 11:01 AM
Hinkley should’ve got fined $1m for being a dork. Imagine narrowly escaping what would’ve been I believe his 19th straight sets exit at home a week after losing by 80 and thinking that it’s the time to talk shit to someone who was at least cool enough to do it before a game.

Grantysghost
16-09-2024, 12:41 PM
If Sicily didn't react like he does every time a he is brushed by a fly and completely over play things then no one would've have known. He was just dirty on himself for missing the critical chance and needed to displace it.

Ken should have ran in and got the kleenex for him.

For what I could see Ginnivan didn't seem bothered in the slightest.

Sedat
16-09-2024, 12:58 PM
He made the decision to go back onto the field - and the doctors were forced to let that happen. Doctors are now just part of the anti-expert bullshit that pervades pretty much all elements of society.
The going back onto the field bit was the least of the issues on that day/night - once the full story comes out there will be a lot of rewriting history, and none of it will be complimentary to either Melbourne or the AFEL. You quite rightly pilloried the AFEL for manufacturing an outcome of convenience and sweeping everything under the rug with regard to Talia-gate - they did the same thing with the Petracca issue.

As for the Hinkley saga, punishments need to be commensurate with the offence - whacking him $20k for saying to Ginny "you won't be on a plane next week" is draconian at best. But because the optics were on show in prime time, the AFEL have come down hard. Anyway, it was a chance for Dills and Kane-o to add to their Xmas party budget.

bornadog
16-09-2024, 01:09 PM
- whacking him $20k for saying to Ginny "you won't be on a plane next week" is draconian at best.

Port should tell the AFL to get stuffed - what a ****ing joke this is.

mighty_west
16-09-2024, 03:51 PM
Port should tell the AFL to get stuffed - what a ****ing joke this is.

Glad he copped a 20k fine just for being a dickhead, show a bit of class and not act like a school boy.

bornadog
16-09-2024, 03:52 PM
Glad he copped a 20k fine just for being a dickhead, show a bit of class and not act like a school boy.

For saying "looks like you aren't flying to Sydney"

Strange

Sedat
16-09-2024, 03:59 PM
Hinkley should?ve got fined $1m for being a dork. Imagine narrowly escaping what would?ve been I believe his 19th straight sets exit at home a week after losing by 80 and thinking that it?s the time to talk shit to someone who was at least cool enough to do it before a game.
Hinkley currently has a 6-7 record in finals. As a comparison, Bevo is currently sitting at 7-6, and none of Longmire or Chris Scott are in positive W/L in finals (bigger sample size to be fair to both). Hardwick is the only coach to have shot the lights out in finals (having peak Dusty helps a bit) and McCrae to a lesser extent.

As we all know only too well, making finals is hard enough let alone winning them. Hinkley just won a final with a bottom 7 consisting of Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz. I totally get the "Hinkley is a dud in finals" narrative, but he doesn't exactly have a plethora of elite talent at his disposal. He absolutely coached the pants off the shiny new toy Sam Mitchell that everyone in media land has fallen in love with. Clearly he is marked much harder than most, and he (understandably) let off some steam in a moment after the siren on Friday night after copping more of the same from everyone in the AFEL industry as well as some pretty obvious disrespect from his opponent before the game.

He shouldn't have responded but it is not a hanging offence - it is definitely not a $20k fine offence IMO.

mighty_west
16-09-2024, 04:02 PM

Strange

Just for reacting, he just doesn't need to do it, and continually going on with it when their captain stepped in to stick up for his team mates, fair game for the players and opposition supporters over the fence to give it to Ginny 100%, but not the opposition coach, that's just shit, lacks class.

bornadog
16-09-2024, 04:04 PM
Just for reacting, he just doesn't need to do it, and continually going on with it when their captain stepped in to stick up for his team mates, fair game for the players and opposition supporters over the fence to give it to Ginny 100%, but not the opposition coach, that's just shit, lacks class.

It's an emotional game, and Ken knew he did the wrong thing and apologised. $20k is just an utter joke.

mighty_west
16-09-2024, 04:14 PM
It's an emotional game, and Ken knew he did the wrong thing and apologised. $20k is just an utter joke.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one BAD, it's the look of the game and to me, what he said is irrelevant when you have 100 camera angles and 500 media outlets reporting on it, it all filters down to the lower levels, and what if some bozo coach in some 4th grade league decides to do something similar and an all in brawl erupts as those things can happen, he continues to just smile at him to be a smart arse whilst lining up, just don't it.

As i mentioned before he copped the fine, he should actually be thanking Ginny for giving his team that extra motivation to play as well as they did to win the game as they wrote it up on the white board during the week, because they were horrid the week prior.

GVGjr
16-09-2024, 04:18 PM

Strange

He should have said it in the press conference if it needed to be said and not on the field when the guard of honor was being formed.
His quick apology supports that.
He probably shouldn't have been fined and at worst a suspended fine given his outstanding service as a coach with no priors. Clarkson as a comparison gets away with so much.

The Hawks were yesterdays news after the outstanding win and Ken should have just been giving his respect to Bruest and getting around his own boys.

Did anyone hear that lady on SEN this morning who described Mitchell as one of those parents who turn a blind eye to their kids poor behavior and then get all shitty when someone else takes them to account? She pretty much nailed it.

Happy Days
16-09-2024, 04:20 PM
Hinkley currently has a 6-7 record in finals. As a comparison, Bevo is currently sitting at 7-6, and none of Longmire or Chris Scott are in positive W/L in finals (bigger sample size to be fair to both). Hardwick is the only coach to have shot the lights out in finals (having peak Dusty helps a bit) and McCrae to a lesser extent.

As we all know only too well, making finals is hard enough let alone winning them. Hinkley just won a final with a bottom 7 consisting of Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz. I totally get the "Hinkley is a dud in finals" narrative, but he doesn't exactly have a plethora of elite talent at his disposal. He absolutely coached the pants off the shiny new toy Sam Mitchell that everyone in media land has fallen in love with. Clearly he is marked much harder than most, and he (understandably) let off some steam in a moment after the siren on Friday night after copping more of the same from everyone in the AFEL industry as well as some pretty obvious disrespect from his opponent before the game.

He shouldn't have responded but it is not a hanging offence - it is definitely not a $20k fine offence IMO.

C’mon now. He’s literally the most tenured coach of all time to not make a grand final, I don’t care how many home semis he’s won he earned his reputation in blood. And I don’t buy that he coached the pants off anyone, if Sicily or Moore or Sicily again (who was somehow allowed continued free runs at the ball despite being obviously the only player who was any threat in the air given Calsher Dear wasn’t playing the Western Bulldogs so of course reverted back into a teenager) kick straight then he doesn’t have a job right now.

But it’s cool that he’s won whatever battle he convinced himself he was fighting with Ginnivan.

Sedat
16-09-2024, 04:32 PM
C’mon now. He’s literally the most tenured coach of all time to not make a grand final, I don’t care how many home semis he’s won he earned his reputation in blood. And I don’t buy that he coached the pants off anyone, if Sicily or Moore or Sicily again (who was somehow allowed continued free runs at the ball despite being obviously the only player who was any threat in the air given Calsher Dear wasn’t playing the Western Bulldogs so of course reverted back into a teenager) kick straight then he doesn’t have a job right now.

But it’s cool that he’s won whatever battle he convinced himself he was fighting with Ginnivan.
That's why he's under intense pressure most seasons, and that's fair enough. Rocket and Ross the Boss are gun coaches who haven't saluted the judges - Rocket only made 1 GF in his first year, but I would say his coaching in 2008/2009 especially were master classes against much better opposition, even if we lost both of those PF's.

Hawthorn had a vastly more talented 23 players on the weekend than Port - the game ended up close but it was played on Port's terms all night, and only #freekickhawthorn making a belated re-appearance since 2015 kept the scoreboard tight.

As for the Ginny stuff, coaches use what they need to motivate and inspire their players to get a positive result, Hinkley obviously did that on Friday night to great effect. I wish Bevo was able to get the same effect out of his players 7 days earlier - I wouldn't have cared how trite the inspiration was.

bornadog
16-09-2024, 11:51 PM
Ken Hinkley confirmed to coach in 2025

Happy Days
17-09-2024, 12:07 AM
Ken Hinkley confirmed to coach in 2025

Lol. Lmao even. These stupid idiots were so close.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-09-2024, 10:44 AM
Hinkley is a good coach.

Their list is ordinary. Look at their forward half - it has to be the worst in the top 8 by some margin. Dixon is cooked, Marshall sucks, Esava lol .... their only options are Rioli (gun small forward but not fit) and Georgiades (talented but probably more a third option in reality).

Their mid group is strong and they had damaging half backs, but Aliir and ZT aren't exactly star defenders.

The fact they keep finishing high is a testament to Hinkley. It's just unfortunate for him that in finals, their lack of talent has been exposed time and again.

azabob
17-09-2024, 10:58 AM
Hinkley is a good coach.

Their list is ordinary. Look at their forward half - it has to be the worst in the top 8 by some margin. Dixon is cooked, Marshall sucks, Esava lol .... their only options are Rioli (gun small forward but not fit) and Georgiades (talented but probably more a third option in reality).

Their mid group is strong and they had damaging half backs, but Aliir and ZT aren't exactly star defenders.

The fact they keep finishing high is a testament to Hinkley. It's just unfortunate for him that in finals, their lack of talent has been exposed time and again.

They have a significant home ground advantage, also an extra game there now with gather round.

That should automatically be 8 wins.

I wish we had a home ground advantage.

Sedat
17-09-2024, 11:03 AM
Hinkley is a good coach.

Finals are really hard to win unless you are Hardwick and you have peak Dusty at your disposal. All of Fagan, Kingsley, Hinkley, Scott, Longmire and Bevo have finals records hovering around 50/50 or slightly under. Port's bottom 6-8 players in 2024 are bog average - not sure how anybody can't see this. We have spend endless hours here discussing the merits or otherwise of 2 players, VDM and McNeill in our team, but just this weekend Port fielded a team with such no-names as Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz running around.

I guess when they lose they lose badly in finals, so it makes a bigger and more lasting negative impression. Or maybe the perception of Hinkley is clouded by him being an unfashionable old bogan from the bush, who doesn't 'relate' to the new generation - that perception is horseshit because he still has the players eating out of the palm of his hand.

bornadog
17-09-2024, 12:03 PM
Finals are really hard to win unless you are Hardwick and you have peak Dusty at your disposal. All of Fagan, Kingsley, Hinkley, Scott, Longmire and Bevo have finals records hovering around 50/50 or slightly under. Port's bottom 6-8 players in 2024 are bog average - not sure how anybody can't see this. We have spend endless hours here discussing the merits or otherwise of 2 players, VDM and McNeill in our team, but just this weekend Port fielded a team with such no-names as Francis Evans, Josh Sinn, Jackson Mead, Logan Evans, Quinton Narkle, Lachie Jones and Will Lorenz running around.

I guess when they lose they lose badly in finals, so it makes a bigger and more lasting negative impression. Or maybe the perception of Hinkley is clouded by him being an unfashionable old bogan from the bush, who doesn't 'relate' to the new generation - that perception is horseshit because he still has the players eating out of the palm of his hand.

They were also a younger team than Hawks with fewer average games as well. He has done well.

mjp
17-09-2024, 12:37 PM

With respect, acting like a school boy is not bringing the game into disrepute.

I have spoken before about the incredible pressure I felt just two years ago coaching a state league COLTS team. I felt the club had essentially turned their back on me when they refused to defend a 'misconduct' charge which was a complete fabrication...anyway, a long story. But it really did become me and the players vs the world for a couple of months there...

Flapping his arms at the Hawthorn players after winning a game without his two star half backs (the singular strength of his footy side), his best midfielder under an injury cloud and the worst forward in the league with the POTENTIAL exception of North Melbourne (I mean, at least they have Larkey!) all whilst being directly undermined by a couple of members on the PA board who have openly said they wanted him replaced as coach...

Honestly.

The whole hoo-haa with Luke Breust's 300th etc...apparently it's now more disrespectful to flap your arms whilst he's being carried off than it is to MAKE HIM THE SUB for his milestone match - which is a complete joke by the way...no mention of the disrespect from Mitchell which was there for all to see.

It's an emotional environment and sometimes those directly involved get carried away. Sicily is lucky Hinkley didn't double down and perform a pantomime of a set shot crashing into the behind post directly costing his team the game. If you want to show leadership, there is no need to engage with the oppo AFTER the game if you just kick straight during it.

I am so sick of the self righteousness of these peanuts from Hawthorn. YES - they have some young players but some of that is smoke and mirrors...their footy side has more experience in it than most people seem to realise and if you are going to carry on with selfies and flexing to the crowd (versus acknowledging your team-mates) when a goal is kicked, then you don't get to say A WORD when it comes back the other way.

I do want to say something about Ginnivan though. He gets it. He mouths off but he cops it coming back. No complaints from me about him...at least he owns his behaviour which is more than I can say than for Sicily and Mitchell.

EasternWest
17-09-2024, 12:55 PM

I have spoken before about the incredible pressure I felt just two years ago coaching a state league COLTS team. I felt the club had essentially turned their back on me when they refused to defend a 'misconduct' charge which was a complete fabrication...anyway, a long story. But it really did become me and the players vs the world for a couple of months there...

Flapping his arms at the Hawthorn players after winning a game without his two star half backs (the singular strength of his footy side), his best midfielder under an injury cloud and the worst forward in the league with the POTENTIAL exception of North Melbourne (I mean, at least they have Larkey!) all whilst being directly undermined by a couple of members on the PA board who have openly said they wanted him replaced as coach...

Honestly.

The whole hoo-haa with Luke Breust's 300th etc...apparently it's now more disrespectful to flap your arms whilst he's being carried off than it is to MAKE HIM THE SUB for his milestone match - which is a complete joke by the way...no mention of the disrespect from Mitchell which was there for all to see.

It's an emotional environment and sometimes those directly involved get carried away. Sicily is lucky Hinkley didn't double down and perform a pantomime of a set shot crashing into the behind post directly costing his team the game. If you want to show leadership, there is no need to engage with the oppo AFTER the game if you just kick straight during it.

I am so sick of the self righteousness of these peanuts from Hawthorn. YES - they have some young players but some of that is smoke and mirrors...their footy side has more experience in it than most people seem to realise and if you are going to carry on with selfies and flexing to the crowd (versus acknowledging your team-mates) when a goal is kicked, then you don't get to say A WORD when it comes back the other way.

I do want to say something about Ginnivan though. He gets it. He mouths off but he cops it coming back. No complaints from me about him...at least he owns his behaviour which is more than I can say than for Sicily and Mitchell.

Hinkley was funny. We need to get over it.

Couldn't agree more in Ginnivan. Gets as good as he gives and just plays footy. I'm a fan.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-09-2024, 01:17 PM
Yep agree on Ginnivan, makes me actually like him.

Mantis
17-09-2024, 01:18 PM
Yep agree on Ginnivan, makes me actually like him.

Yep.

He gives zero ****s and is clearly having fun which is refreshing in a competition full of robots.

Happy Days
17-09-2024, 01:19 PM
I love Ginni. I wanted us to pick him up so badly.

josie
17-09-2024, 08:00 PM
Imagine Ginnivan and Weightman together in our F50. Footy would be fun just watching oppo supporters lose it at least once a game.

mighty_west
17-09-2024, 08:30 PM

Honestly.

Fair call but still agree with the AFL coming down hard on Hinkley, as for the Hawks, they kind of remind me of GWS when first starting out and carrying on like they were king shit with all these first round pricks i mean picks, mentioned earlier in the thread before Hinkley copped the fine that Ginni was fine, he's flamboyant but good value, not particularly a fan of Sicily but i like a captain to stand up for his troops, Sam Mitchell, what's that word that rhymes with Banker?

SquirrelGrip
18-09-2024, 11:03 AM
Sam Mitchell, what's that word that rhymes with Banker?

Half forward flanker?