PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 8, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-05-2024, 03:22 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this afternoon's game against Hawthorn.
Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Was it a collection of moments or one with greater significance outside of the actual games result.. the kinds where you go, oh no, this is going to keep Jeemak posting til 4am the next 3 nights.

chef
05-05-2024, 07:18 PM
That JJ kick to English was the moment.

macca
05-05-2024, 09:27 PM
That JJ kick to English was the moment.

Yeah, that killed the momentum, Hawks scored from that.

I have a feeling its time to find a replacement for JJ.

SquirrelGrip
05-05-2024, 09:30 PM
Yeah, that killed the momentum, Hawks scored from that.

I have a feeling its time to find a replacement for JJ.

Just not Bramble

bulldogtragic
05-05-2024, 09:40 PM
When the game became close. You can always count on this group to lose close games.

The bulldog tragician
05-05-2024, 09:45 PM
So many gruesome grisly moments. JJ’s kick was a shocker. But I’ll nominate Jamarra being unable to even score the proverbial handy point from that last set shot. We would at least hypothetically been able to lock it in from their kick out and have another shot. ( I said hypothetically as most likely they’d have scored coast to coast).

JanLorMill
05-05-2024, 10:05 PM
Hard to pinpoint a moment from the game. Times we looked like winning it then we turn it over or cop a bad ump call. Hawks missed some easy chances and had we won it would have been wallpaper over the cracks.
btw it was terrible kick out by JJ and still English didn’t need to fumble it.

G-Mo77
05-05-2024, 10:23 PM
2nd quarter was probably it. Had they utilised the ball in front of goal we could have been looking down the barrel of a 30 point deficit.

Tim English doing a 2 handed punch instead of taking a mark in the last probably another one.

GVGjr
05-05-2024, 11:24 PM
I had high hopes when Treloar ran down his opponent early in the game (We are on) but when JJ grubbed the kick to English it was a dagger.

bornadog
05-05-2024, 11:49 PM
it was terrible kick out by JJ and still English didn?t need to fumble it.

He had no hope of getting that grubber along the ground. Why he wasn't paid a free for being tackled without the ball I do not know

jeemak
05-05-2024, 11:58 PM
JJ's grubbed kick.

The handball that looked slightly behind Garcia that still should have been taken.

Marra giving away a fifty like an entitled and selfish little shit to ease pressure, or missing everything from in front.

Khamis realising he wasn't going to get the ball but not changing direction to pressure his opponent and running out of bounds instead.

Ed Richards missing everything from 35m out, or butchering a last quarter entry wide.

Gallagher butchering a counter towards the boundary when a flat drop punt into grass directly towards goal maybe gets us a score or a stoppage deep forward.

Aaron Naughton deciding he's the best person to hit a target into the 50m area instead of Jacko, because Aaron Naughton is a superstar and always hits lead up hits with his amazing dexterity and ability to change direction either foot, unlike Jack.......

I'll just go with JJ's grubbed kick.

merantau
06-05-2024, 05:52 AM
One series of continuous moments: every time we got the ball from a kick in or stoppage deep in our back half it took an age for the kicker to decide what to do with the ball. What does that tell you? Draw your own conclusions.

AshMac
06-05-2024, 08:12 AM
The 50 against Jamarra. I know it was there but far out - the noise of the crowd, he had 2 defenders continuing to apply pressure and he is in the moment.

I was about the same distance from the umpire as jamarra when he kicked it and I could barely hear the whistle - let alone the adrenaline rush he is experiencing

Mantis
06-05-2024, 08:48 AM
Amongst so many moments we fluffed I'm raising the Jones kick to VDM. We had worked hard to get in front and win the ball at HB and just gave the ball back to them.

Stop ball situation and the best we could come up with was a kick to a 1:1 contest between VDM and Scrimshaw. Laith was only giving away 12cm.

Darcy who was rucking at the time was like a bean pole in the centre of the ground and showed no desire to push across to the wing and none of our tall forwards pushed up the ground.

Our in-game scenario strategies in close games are non-existent.

angelopetraglia
06-05-2024, 09:00 AM
Amongst so many moments we fluffed I'm raising the Jones kick to VDM. We had worked hard to get in front and win the ball at HB and just gave the ball back to them.

Stop ball situation and the best we could come up with was a kick to a 1:1 contest between VDM and Scrimshaw. Laith was only giving away 12cm.

Darcy who was rucking at the time was like a bean pole in the centre of the ground and showed no desire to push across to the wing and none of our tall forwards pushed up the ground.

Our in-game scenario strategies in close games are non-existent.

Yep. Horrific option.

Kick it to a spare or as an emergency kick it down the line to a pack. He chose to kick it to a 50/50 in space, so if there was a turnover it would be dangerous and we would be vulnerable. It was typical of the issues we had all night trying to the get the ball out of our D50.

Again, is this system? Did the players work hard enough to give him an option? Is it just poor decision making from the individual with the ball in hand?

Bevo mentioned in his presser we were one of the best teams in the comp at conceding scores from defensive half turnovers before the last couple of weeks, so it is a an interesting point. Why did it fall apart yesterday?

lemmon
06-05-2024, 09:04 AM
Jones biting off the tough kick from half back and turning it over was the one for me. I don't think Jones was helped by the kick before that though.

Bramble had no idea what to do with that footy from centre half back. He stopped, propped and look like a deer in the headlights. A running half back really needs to be better with ball in hand than that.

CarnTheScray
06-05-2024, 09:08 AM
When Big Timmy was standing 500 metres off his direct opponent on two occasions, both leading to goals.

angelopetraglia
06-05-2024, 09:10 AM
Jones biting off the tough kick from half back and turning it over was the one for me. I don't think Jones was helped by the kick before that though.

Bramble had no idea what to do with that footy from centre half back. He stopped, propped and look like a deer in the headlights. A running half back really needs to be better with ball in hand than that.

Agree on all of that. Further to this. At the other end, Hawthorn didn't have any issue finding safe targets coming out of their D50. Even when they fumbled or made a mistake they still had enought time to work their way through it.

Mantis
06-05-2024, 09:18 AM
Yep. Horrific option.

Kick it to a spare or as an emergency kick it down the line to a pack. He chose to kick it to a 50/50 in space, so if there was a turnover it would be dangerous and we would be vulnerable. It was typical of the issues we had all night trying to the get the ball out of our D50.

Again, is this system? Did the players work hard enough to give him an option? Is it just poor decision making from the individual with the ball in hand?

Bevo mentioned in his presser we were one of the best teams in the comp at conceding scores from defensive half turnovers before the last couple of weeks, so it is a an interesting point. Why did it fall apart yesterday?

The issue was none of our defenders made the effort to find space to give Liam an ''easy'' option and where the pack should've formed, we only had Laith one out... just a shit show from a team who didn't work hard enough.

Probably a thread/ topic all for greater discussion but I did read that the Hawthorn team covered 11 more kilometres than our boys... that is an awful stat.

azabob
06-05-2024, 09:24 AM
The moment for me was when Naughton crashed the pack and spoiled Jamarra in the first quarter.

Marra was one on one with his opponent and looked likely to mark the ball but Naughton got to the contest late and crashed the pack taking both him and Marra out in the process. Why contest why not wait on the ground?

It got me thinking which player in our team makes their teammate better?

It is a bloody short list, a very short list.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2024, 09:29 AM
The moment for me was when Naughton crashed the pack and spoiled Jamarra in the first quarter.

Marra was one on one with his opponent and looked likely to mark the ball but Naughton got to the contest late and crashed the pack taking both him and Marra out in the process. Why contest why not wait on the ground?

It got me thinking which player in our team makes their teammate better?

It is a bloody short list, a very short list.

Why do they constantly spoil each other? It makes no sense the way they operate with each other.

EasternWest
06-05-2024, 10:53 AM
I think it was when Marra rushed his last set shot. That situation was calling desperately for one of our leaders to just slow him down.

Sedat
06-05-2024, 11:47 AM
Probably a thread/ topic all for greater discussion but I did read that the Hawthorn team covered 11 more kilometres than our boys... that is an awful stat.
It's obvious watching at the ground that we are conditional in our defending of the entire ground when we don't have the ball. That's just not going to cut it in 2024.

Mantis
06-05-2024, 12:27 PM
It's obvious watching at the ground that we are conditional in our defending of the entire ground when we don't have the ball. That's just not going to cut it in 2024.

It hasn't cut it for the past 2 and a bit seasons. Our defensive running is abysmal, lots of finger pointing and walking/jogging, and not much else.

ledge
06-05-2024, 01:15 PM
The minute Sicily did his shoulder I knew he would come back on and do whatever he wants.
We didn’t even stand next to him and bump him , then he did his ankle just to confirm he would belt us.
Soft as butter we are.

Happy Days
06-05-2024, 01:50 PM
Fair effort by the Wizard to beat two veterans with about 50cm combined on him in that two on one in the last.

Grantysghost
06-05-2024, 02:09 PM
Was the JJ / English debacle.

We had all the momentum prior to that.

It wasn't just JJs fault, English grabbed the ball and was dispossessed so easily for a big guy it was ludicrous.

angelopetraglia
06-05-2024, 02:17 PM

It wasn't just JJs fault, English grabbed the ball and was dispossessed so easily for a big guy it was ludicrous.

To be fair it was probably holding the man. Tim should have got a free kick.

bornadog
06-05-2024, 02:30 PM

You need to take another look.

JJ's ball didn't hit English on the chest. The ball bounced on the ground in front of English. English leans over to pick it up, giving Sicily time to tackle him. The ball is knocked out of English's hand, but Sicily throws English to the ground. That is usually played as holding the man - no free, and Hawks kick a goal

Grantysghost
06-05-2024, 02:37 PM
To be fair it was probably holding the man. Tim should have got a free kick.

I thought it was all good, he was like a man that didnt expect contact and completely caved.

Watson had two efforts late that epitomised the gap in effort.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-05-2024, 02:46 PM
I thought it was all good, he was like a man that didnt expect contact and completely caved.

Watson had two efforts late that epitomised the gap in effort.

When will you realise it's not our effort but either inaccuracy or umpires that cost us games?

Sedat
06-05-2024, 02:50 PM
After the absolutely horrible 45 minute stretch from mid Q1 to half time, we had stabilised and started to assert some field position dominance winning the clearance battle in the first half of Q3. Then twice in a matter of minutes we turned over under no pressure in our back half, and the Hawks absolutely flushed 2 pretty awesome goals through McDonald and Weddle. It set us back and ensured we would have to take more risks in Q4 to open up the game, which of course we were then punished with another 3.2.20 scored against in more back half turnovers in the last qtr.

EasternWest
06-05-2024, 02:54 PM
After the absolutely horrible 45 minute stretch from mid Q1 to half time, we had stabilised and started to assert some field position dominance winning the clearance battle in the first half of Q3. Then twice in a matter of minutes we turned over under no pressure in our back half, and the Hawks absolutely flushed 2 pretty awesome goals through McDonald and Weddle. It set us back and ensured we would have to take more risks in Q4 to open up the game, which of course we were then punished with another 3.2.20 scored against in more back half turnovers in the last qtr.

On another note, how good is Weddle? I love that guy.

Happy Days
06-05-2024, 03:46 PM
On another note, how good is Weddle? I love that guy.

Don’t look too hard into what pick he got drafted with then.

Rocket Science
06-05-2024, 04:15 PM
The moment we opened with three straight and that ominous, all-too-familiar sense of jeez how easy's this?, 'job done' that follows, while the opposition adjust, switch on and go to work.

It's become enough of a pattern that if you're an opposition coach you'd be tempted to gift us the first two or three safe in the knowledge we'll largely put the feet up thereafter.

Mofra
06-05-2024, 04:20 PM
Nobody has mentioned Timmy going the bump 20m out from the opposition goal, missing and falling over, and giving away an easy shot on goal via free kick? Killed out 'early run'.

Every time we went for a short kick exit of of the D50 in the second quarter too - where do we want our turnovers, on the wing or near that last kick inside the opposition F50?

Every club has good and bad patches in games. We just simply don't adjust in game to play the percentages when we need to defend.

CarnTheScray
06-05-2024, 05:38 PM
Nobody has mentioned Timmy going the bump 20m out from the opposition goal, missing and falling over, and giving away an easy shot on goal via free kick? Killed out 'early run'.

Every time we went for a short kick exit of of the D50 in the second quarter too - where do we want our turnovers, on the wing or near that last kick inside the opposition F50?

Every club has good and bad patches in games. We just simply don't adjust in game to play the percentages when we need to defend.

I mentioned it, just didn?t explicitly say the bump part. Let Khamis who we already know is not a one on one champion fend for himself against Meek.

jeemak
06-05-2024, 05:41 PM
Tim should have just attacked the football. He was closer to the landing area than where he ended up trying to impact Meek. Poor effort.

EasternWest
06-05-2024, 05:47 PM
Don’t look too hard into what pick he got drafted with then.

I already know. The pain.

D Mitchell
07-05-2024, 07:07 AM
The minute Sicily did his shoulder I knew he would come back on and do whatever he wants.
We didn’t even stand next to him and bump him , then he did his ankle just to confirm he would belt us.
Soft as butter we are.
Hawthorn showed plenty of aggression at the man, I wonder whether the word around is that we are soft.