PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 9 vs Richmond 2024

GVGjr
10-05-2024, 11:02 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R9 encounter against Richmond.

jazzadogs
11-05-2024, 11:44 PM
1. Freijah looks ready for a block of AFL games - although the giants might test him more next week!

2. Our forwards still haven't learned to lead to different spots. When you watch Curnow/McKay/De Koning they almost never compete aerially against each other. We do it at basically every contest. It's a key change that we need to make to succeed against the teams with good interceptors.

3. I have repeatedly said that Harmes has been washed since 2021. That was certainly his best game in a number of years - but I won't be convinced until he does it against a semi decent team.

Happy Days
11-05-2024, 11:51 PM
1. That doesn’t prove anything but doesn’t mean it wasn’t fun.

2. Keath and Duryea are still competent AFL players and we need to keep playing them.

3. Darcy is the already the smoothest player over 205cm of all time.

azabob
11-05-2024, 11:55 PM
1. Sam Darcy is so clean with his hands in the contest. He went at 100% DE tonight. Crazy. Four goals, spends time as the second ruck. Sky is the limit, literally.

2. Naughton season is slowly building. He is really starting to use his athletic ability to it?s full potential. He has also improved his set shot goal kicking.

3. Ed Richards needs to play midfield for the remainder of the season. He is a beautiful kick, extremely quick, spreads from the contest, has a defensive nous. Everything where the game is heading. We need to find out if he can be genuine inside midfielder.

Grantysghost
12-05-2024, 12:05 AM
1. That doesn’t prove anything but doesn’t mean it wasn’t fun.

2. Keath and Duryea are still competent AFL players and we need to keep playing them.

3. Darcy is the already the smoothest player over 205cm of all time.
On point 2, thought they were both cooked. When I saw Keath live in vfl at Willy i saw his leadership and appeared to have his strength back. Wanted him in.

Duryea has been very good all season.

bornadog
12-05-2024, 12:06 AM
1. Treloar was magnificent and out of his 41 disposals only 5 turnovers, compared to 10 last week.

2. Impressive first up game for JF, moves nicely and will get better and better

3. Marra is trying too hard. Needs to relax more and his natural ability will get him through. I think his body language was more being disappointed in himself

westdog54
12-05-2024, 12:28 PM
1. I've never been more confident a player approaching a contest is going to mark the ball as I have watching Sam Darcy. Ridiculous how good he is so early.

2. I can handle Treloar having no left foot when his right can pull s*** like that.

3. It never gets easier watching a serious injury unfold in front of you. Sending best wishes to Maurice Jr and Banks.

azabob
12-05-2024, 12:30 PM
1. Sam Darcy is so clean with his hands in the contest. He went at 100% DE tonight. Crazy. Four goals, spends time as the second ruck. Sky is the limit, literally.

2. Naughton season is slowly building. He is really starting to use his athletic ability to it?s full potential. He has also improved his set shot goal kicking.

3. Ed Richards needs to play midfield for the remainder of the season. He is a beautiful kick, extremely quick, spreads from the contest, has a defensive nous. Everything where the game is heading. We need to find out if he can be genuine inside midfielder.

Adding a fourth. How tough is Garcia? He got crunched a number of times but shook it off each time.

azabob
12-05-2024, 12:31 PM
On point 2, thought they were both cooked. When I saw Keath live in vfl at Willy i saw his leadership and appeared to have his strength back. Wanted him in.

Duryea has been very good all season.

GG are you feeling ok?

Someone pls check on GG.

Uninformed
12-05-2024, 09:32 PM
1. Son of, son of......Maaaaaaaaate!
2. Genius move by the coach - Ed to the guts.
3. Dogs can football.

Bigdog
12-05-2024, 09:40 PM
1 - The coaches have done a really good job changing westy?s mindset. He has gone from being a very selfish football to most selfless we have on the list. I reckon his game would be highly regarded internally.

2 - Treloar would be a mile out in front of our BnF.

3 - Marra didn?t look right from the get go. I didnt like some of his efforts in the first half. Thought the effort was better in the second half. His skill level was pretty ordinary all game. Hope everything is okay.

Mofra
12-05-2024, 10:13 PM
1. The "You can't pay Bont, Naughton and Marra $1m+ per season" peeps are going to have to get used to Darcy being in that discussion. Naughton is arguably the most effective KPF in the competition stats wise, and Darcy's ceiling is perhaps higher.

2. Yeah I was wrong. Harmes can play.

3. Freijah will be the poster boy for the "20 game" rule. Just wait until he gets some composure.

Dry Rot
12-05-2024, 11:03 PM
Need to be careful what we take out from playing one of the worst sides I have seen in many years.

1. FJ and Cleary looked very tidy.

2. Keath was hardly a world beater, but made our defensive structures look so much better, made JOD look much better, and possibly even Jones if that's possible.

3. Garcia is a much improved player from previous seasons form. Arguably our most improved player and certainly deserves his place in the team, and hopefully in the near future sometime in the midfield.

D Mitchell
13-05-2024, 12:08 AM
1. It's easier to win the ball in the middle when the opposition doesn't apply pressure.
2. It's easier to find a team mate by hand in a better position to deliver when the opposition doesn't intercept handballs.
3. It's easier for forwards to take marks when the opposition doesn't block or body up.

jeemak
13-05-2024, 01:20 AM
1. It's easier to win the ball in the middle when the opposition doesn't apply pressure.
2. It's easier to find a team mate by hand in a better position to deliver when the opposition doesn't intercept handballs.
3. It's easier for forwards to take marks when the opposition doesn't block or body up.

Check out Mr if I had no obstacles my life would be fine over here....... :)

Must be nice confidently knowing you wouldn't butcher it if you were running your own race.

Mantis
13-05-2024, 08:09 AM
Check out Mr if I had no obstacles my life would be fine over here....... :)

Must be nice confidently knowing you wouldn't butcher it if you were running your own race.

There are obstacles, and then there's ''obstacles''.

I was away for the weekend and haven't seen any of the game bar a couple of clips on social media.

I'm really torn to if I want to catch the replay.

Do I want to sit through a game against a team by reports that were extremely poor in all parts?

Do I want to watch our midfield (and others) ''stat up'' after consistently letting us down against better teams?

Do I want to watch us play like we can?

I think I just want us to do it in a game that counts.

Happy Days
13-05-2024, 09:34 AM
Nah it was pretty good. If we’re gonna spend weeks on end beating ourselves up over how bad the team is, it’s kinda nice to get some enjoyment out of something once in a while.

Sedat
13-05-2024, 10:19 AM

I was away for the weekend and haven't seen any of the game bar a couple of clips on social media.

Do I want to sit through a game against a team by reports that were extremely poor in all parts?

Do I want to watch our midfield (and others) ''stat up'' after consistently letting us down against better teams?

It was fun to watch being at the ground, even if the opposition were rubbish. Having said that, Richmond did suit up with 11 premiership players on the night - although some of them are phoning it in at the moment (Shai Bolton the worst offender).

bulldogsthru&thru
13-05-2024, 11:19 AM
Richmond were awful but we were very good. Our pressure was outstanding and we set-up around the ground very well.

Richmond's lack of workrate may have helped us out but you couldn't fault our endeavour. We still butchered it. We still haven't shown we can bring this effort against anything remotely resembling a decent outfit. But I think we should take confidence in the win. We looked bloody good. It's not like we had a lacklustre 90pt win. It was total domination.

bornadog
13-05-2024, 11:52 AM
Richmond were awful but we were very good. Our pressure was outstanding and we set-up around the ground very well.

Richmond's lack of workrate may have helped us out but you couldn't fault our endeavour. We still butchered it. We still haven't shown we can bring this effort against anything remotely resembling a decent outfit. But I think we should take confidence in the win. We looked bloody good. It's not like we had a lacklustre 90pt win. It was total domination.

3 talls was ideal for the MCG, and Tigers didn't have the players to stop them

Mofra
13-05-2024, 12:02 PM
I wonder who GWS' "third" is because whoever gets Taylor is in for a horrible game so we have to mix up our entries.
Buckley should be right but copped an absolute crunching knee from behind last week.

Ozza
13-05-2024, 12:22 PM
1. Garcia's speed and attack on the contest was important early. We need him to become a regular midfielder in future.
2. Darcy could be anything. Sure, Saturday night was 'easy' with the opposition undersized and many entries - but everyone will be undersized against Darcy and he has some serious smarts and bravery in the aerial contests.
3. Bont and Naughton have worked on their goal kicking. 14.4 and 20.7 respectively this season. Unfortunately at this point Marra has very little finishing polish. (12.11 and would we say conservatively 8-10 shots that haven't scored?).

Sedat
13-05-2024, 12:30 PM
I wonder who GWS' "third" is because whoever gets Taylor is in for a horrible game so we have to mix up our entries.
Buckley should be right but copped an absolute crunching knee from behind last week.
Even with Taylor and Buckley, the 3-headed monster will cause GWS some real headaches this weekend, provided we give enough supply by winning the midfield battle. Likewise, English drifting forward and getting into dangerous areas could really hurt a Briggs type contest beast/not athletically as gifted.

We are a big chance this week. GWS are just going at the minute and have been for over a month.

Mofra
13-05-2024, 12:34 PM
Even with Taylor and Buckley, the 3-headed monster will cause GWS some real headaches this weekend, provided we give enough supply by winning the midfield battle. Likewise, English drifting forward and getting into dangerous areas could really hurt a Briggs type contest beast/not athletically as gifted.

We are a big chance this week. GWS are just going at the minute and have been for over a month.
Yeah the ruck battle will be interesting. Briggs is the type that hurts English at the coalface, English is way more mobile though.
I still l think we need to go hard lockdown on Whitfield in their back half as he seems their 1st, 2nd & 3rd choice as distributer.

Sedat
13-05-2024, 12:37 PM
Yeah the ruck battle will be interesting. Briggs is the type that hurts English at the coalface, English is way more mobile though.
I still l think we need to go hard lockdown on Whitfield in their back half as he seems their 1st, 2nd & 3rd choice as distributer.
Yep, massively important and he hates the close attention. Harmes might be getting even more love from the Bulldog faithful next week if he can terrorise Whitfield and get on the scoreboard as well - there might be a short on no.22 jumpers at the Bulldog Shop.

Happy Days
13-05-2024, 01:07 PM
Taylor is a superstar but Naughton’s cooked him before. I don’t think it’s as simple as writing off whoever he goes to.

mighty_west
13-05-2024, 01:26 PM

I would love the G as our home ground, always have. Even if we had a 50/50 split with Marvel and play the interstate teams there.

GVGjr
13-05-2024, 01:58 PM
I would love the G as our home ground, always have. Even if we had a 50/50 split with Marvel and play the interstate teams there.

I've got a Carlton mate who squarely blames that Carlton hasn't been as serious contender for years on the fact that they split home games between Marvel and the MCG. Needs to be always at the MCG from his perspective. I'm not sure if I buy that concept as they get more than enough games at the G.

bornadog
13-05-2024, 02:09 PM

I loved watching English run Nankervis around. There was one piece of play where we were kicking out after a Richmond behind. English ran to one pocket to lead, Nankervis ran over to him, then English proceeded to run the full width of the G to the other pocket, and Nankervis was really lumbering.

Briggs and English are about even on the number of Hitouts, but English is 3rd on HTA to Briggs 10th, however, Briggs is better than English for CP

mighty_west
13-05-2024, 02:22 PM
I've got a Carlton mate who squarely blames that Carlton hasn't been as serious contender for years on the fact that they split home games between Marvel and the MCG. Needs to be always at the MCG from his perspective. I'm not sure if I buy that concept as they get more than enough games at the G.

I'd counter act that argument by stating the Dogs have played in 2 grand Finals being serious contenders and playing absolute bugger all games at the G, i mean, if you're good enough you win anywhere.

Axe Man
13-05-2024, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately at this point Marra has very little finishing polish. (12.11 and would we say conservatively 8-10 shots that haven't scored?).

Good guess - 12.11 from 32 shots, so 9 that haven't scored. He's going at 37.5% which is pretty much the same as his career average. He's going to find himself in the all time goal kickers hall of shame if he doesn't start improving his accuracy soon.

Mofra
13-05-2024, 05:50 PM
Taylor is a superstar but Naughton?s cooked him before. I don?t think it?s as simple as writing off whoever he goes to.
At a guess Taylor goes to Marra to start with if Naughts plays high and Marra plays deep?

jeemak
13-05-2024, 11:37 PM

My post was just a bit of fun, particularly given we're a team that can play shit opposition and self apply a stick to our own proverbial bicycle spokes a lot of the time.

Every game counts, and life is hard enough without feeling the need to ignore the joys of smashing a team like Richmond on their turf (remembering how much they love playing there, hate playing where we play and how shit their supporters can be when they're up and about!).

We're a middling team until we prove we aren't. We're blooding youth and exploring a new dynamic. Enjoy it, footy's best when there's no expectations, and big wins are great after being shat on by all and sundry all week.

SonofScray
15-05-2024, 02:19 PM

I watched the replay.

A huge win and we learn absolutely nothing and I could barely muster any sense of joy out of it.

Its Groundhog Day.

Mantis
15-05-2024, 02:50 PM
I watched the replay.

A huge win and we learn absolutely nothing and I could barely muster any sense of joy out of it.

Its Groundhog Day.

I watched it too.

I echo your thoughts... they were ****ing awful.

I await seeing how we perform against proper AFL teams over the next 5 weeks.