PDA

View Full Version : 2024 - What?s Working So Far?

comrade
14-05-2024, 11:17 AM
There?s been plenty of negativity heaped on us (some of it deserved) but it?s not all bad!

What are your bright spots at this point?

Mine has to be the penny dropping for Westy. I really feel like he?s going to be in the mix for AA over the next 2-3 years as a half forward.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2024, 11:25 AM
Playing plenty of kids
Nearly the second highest percentage
Improved goal kicking overall
Next rung doing well (Darcy, West, Garcia etc)
Old dogs still having a little left, Jones & Doc
Better MC selections than previously
Shots across the bow of senior players and getting some good results, see Dale
Marra signing
Two rising star nominations with Sanders one to come

Happy Days
14-05-2024, 11:25 AM
I’m not sure exactly what we did to change this but it feels like with the possible exception of the air going out of the balloon against Essendon we haven’t had anyone kick a run of goals on us in a while.

Axe Man
14-05-2024, 11:42 AM
I’m not sure exactly what we did to change this but it feels like with the possible exception of the air going out of the balloon against Essendon we haven’t had anyone kick a run of goals on us in a while.

Melbourne kicked 5 in a row in a short period from late in the first quarter to early in the second which was frustrating as it felt like we had been on top early.

As you say Essendon was the only other instance so hopefully we can continue to prevent the run ons against some of the better teams we have coming up.

bornadog
14-05-2024, 11:59 AM
The best thing so far this year has been the inclusion of players based on form rather than reputation. Either you adapt or dropped, just look at Dale, he really took it on and is in AA form.

I have also liked the blooding of young players, and again, if they don't perform, then they go back to VFL to work on it eg Sanders on his defensive side.

Agree with OP, West is really making the small forward role work, instead of sooking (not that he does), and saying he wants the mid role. He has embraced the role.

Sedat
14-05-2024, 12:10 PM
Starting to develop a turnover game and not relying solely on contested possessions/clearance dominance to score

Starting to develop an intercept marking game in D50

Sam Darcy....nuff said

SquirrelGrip
14-05-2024, 12:18 PM
I like how Bevo has more support around him. Matt Egan is a good addition.

We've realised doing the same thing over and again is going to get the same results, so we blooding new players, rewarding form, and acknowledging reputation matters little.

Treloar is having his best season so far with us. I have historically questioned his defensive side, but I was super impressed with his game against the Tigers.

And I like how we are trying Richards in the middle.

I feel for Rory Lobb who has done little wrong, but Sam Darcy just deserves to be there.

1eyedog
15-05-2024, 09:43 AM
Conceding less goals from D50 entries than the last two seasons is a plus.

MrMahatma
15-05-2024, 01:19 PM
Ed in the guts.
Getting good exp into JOD, Gags.
Darcy… damn boi!

mighty_west
15-05-2024, 01:57 PM
Playing the likes of Garcia and Gallagher and giving them midfield time along with Ed who looks like he's a natural mid the way he's moved from that rebounding defender, which can make him a more damaging player, we've lost Libba for however long we don't know, but our midfield hasn't missed a beat but looks to be evolving into something more sustainable and damaging.

The accuracy for goals, both Naughton and Bont seem to have benefited from Brad Johnno's goal kicking master classes, hopefully Marra follows suit soon, but just watching Naughty, he seems more focused and looks to be watching and concentrating on where he wants to kick the ball, it's working.

Sam Darcy, what a pleasure to watch him grow into something special.

Blooding a few of the kids, this is what the good teams do, at the expense of highly rated experienced senior players either out of form or having to go back and work on their game in the VFL, obviously you can't play too many at once otherwise you'll probably end up bottoming out which is what you don't want to improve a winning culture around the club, give them a sniff and if good enough hold their spot, would like to see Busslinger in the side at some stage too.

SonofScray
15-05-2024, 02:17 PM
Darcy and Gallagher's inclusions and responsibilities.

That's it.