PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 10, 2024 vs GWS

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-05-2024, 07:00 PM
This is the Round 5, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this afternoon's game against GWS has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:06 PM
B

Keeping them to 6 goals, and only two goal kickers
Beating a good opponent away from home
Four quarter effort

A

Bloody posters
Bloody goal kicking

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-05-2024, 08:26 PM
Bankers

1. Naughts- showing some real leadership on field, was doing everything to try and influence every contest either with ball in hand or harrassing
2. Ed's move to the guts was not something I had on my bingo card of things to call out this year.

3. Darcy, its just so easy to understand how jealous other club's have been of our father son and NGA largesse...suck it, for once something rolls our way luck wise for a change.

Anchors

Goalkicking
Officiating
I thought some of Cleary's moments he'd like to have again. He also did some good things too, but I would really like to see him put out a performance that highlights his AFL attributes.

GVGjr
18-05-2024, 08:36 PM
B

Keeping them to 6 goals, and only two goal kickers
Beating a good opponent away from home
Four quarter effort

A

Bloody posters
Bloody goal kicking

7 rushed points wasn't there?

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:37 PM
7 rushed points wasn't there?

A few. Still 8.22

GVGjr
18-05-2024, 08:58 PM
A few. Still 8.22

Just getting full value on two of those six posters would have really changed the game earlier for us.

Mofra
18-05-2024, 09:02 PM
Bankers

Richards. Is already a 'complete' midfielder
Naughton = workrate
The kids all showed quite a bit

Anchors

Marra's kicking. From bad to awful.
Goal post thickness. I demand a review!

bornadog
18-05-2024, 09:09 PM
Bankers

1. Treloar - started and finished the game so well and a very consistent performance

2. Macrae - the conditions suited him, and he accumulated

3. The backline, looked a bit flaky, but they held it together.

Anchors

1. Marra - he needs to work on the goal kicking

2. Johnno - what are you teaching them :D

3. Umps - the game has changed thank you AFL for wanting to stuff up a great game

azabob
18-05-2024, 09:12 PM
Bankers

Darcy’s best game for the year. Honestly most weeks he has beaten up the third defender who is normally a lot smaller. Tonight some of the contested grabs in the wet against big men such as Briggs and Himmleburg is next level.

Our all ground defensive set up is the best I have seen since early 2021.

Our best win for a long time, we just kept coming and putting the pressure on.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 09:13 PM
Credit to the umpire overruling Naughtons non free in the last. How an umpire 10m away with a clear view didn’t pay it was disgusting really. But I guess that extra umpire saw the shithouse decision and overruled it despite knowing the controlling umpire had no excuses for not paying it.

The bulldog tragician
18-05-2024, 09:22 PM
Bankers
1. Treloar having a wonderful season.
2. Dale more and more influential as the game went on
3. Sam Darcy is sooo special. The same sort of feeling that the kid Bontempelli gave us. No 10 jumpers might start outselling those of the skip.
Anchors
1. I dunno, I’m unconvinced by Cleary.
2. Bevo, what do you see in Bramble? He is the poorest user of the ball with lowest footy IQ I’ve seen in our colours for a while.
3. James Harmes. Just stop being useful and giving value to the side. Now I’ll have to keep the embarrassing avatar.

GVGjr
18-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Bankers
1. Treloar having a wonderful season.
2. Dale more and more influential as the game went on
3. Sam Darcy is sooo special. The same sort of feeling that the kid Bontempelli gave us. No 10 jumpers might start outselling those of the skip.
Anchors
1. I dunno, I’m unconvinced by Cleary.
2. Bevo, what do you see in Bramble? He is the poorest user of the ball with lowest footy IQ I’ve seen in our colours for a while.
3. James Harmes. Just stop being useful and giving value to the side. Now I’ll have to keep the embarrassing avatar.

You certainly do if we knock over the Swans :)

The bulldog tragician
18-05-2024, 09:40 PM
You certainly do if we knock over the Swans :)
Taking one for the team.

EasternWest
18-05-2024, 09:42 PM
Bankers

Darcy’s best game for the year. Honestly most weeks he has beaten up the third defender who is normally a lot smaller. Tonight some of the contested grabs in the wet against big men such as Briggs and Himmleburg is next level.

Our all ground defensive set up is the best I have seen since early 2021.

Our best win for a long time, we just kept coming and putting the pressure on.

Darcy might actually be the real deal. He just looks right.

azabob
18-05-2024, 09:44 PM
Darcy might actually be the real deal. He just looks right.

I reckon you are right. He also appears to be a fierce competitor and has that streak of aggression needed.

hujsh
18-05-2024, 10:25 PM
Bankers

Richards. Is already a 'complete' midfielder
Naughton = workrate
The kids all showed quite a bit

Anchors

Marra's kicking. From bad to awful.
Goal post thickness. I demand a review!

Complete in quotes because he's still missing a right foot

jeemak
18-05-2024, 10:40 PM
Taking one for the team.

At least one.

jeemak
18-05-2024, 10:51 PM
B:

Aaron Naughton - week by week I have to educate friends and acquaintances on how good your all round game is. Tonight you were amazing with your attack and resilience

Baileys Williams and Dale - when it counted you were clean and got the ball moving. Some of the handling was next level good

Coaching (all levels, not just Beveridge) - to get a percentage like ours you need to be able to defend first and foremost. We're a long way from fully competent and we still have lapses, but irrespective of personnel things are starting to gel. With some continuity we'll continue to be a difficult side to score against

A:

JUH - let's concentrate on substance over style from here with your goal kicking. Forehead to knee, rinse and repeat

Bramble - he needs to get some touch back in the twos. Can't knock his endeavour, but he's lacking class and will set our progress back if maintained in the ones

Hitting the Post - come on........

JanLorMill
18-05-2024, 11:22 PM
Credit to the umpire overruling Naughtons non free in the last. How an umpire 10m away with a clear view didn?t pay it was disgusting really. But I guess that extra umpire saw the shithouse decision and overruled it despite knowing the controlling umpire had no excuses for not paying it.
It should have been a mark and 50

westbulldog
19-05-2024, 12:39 AM
Bankers
Freijah - looks a player
Darcy - already influencing games, another pre-season and he will be dominating games.
Beating the plastics - anytime, anywhere.

Anchors
We were unlucky with posters, not beating the imposters by even more.
Jamarra - change your boots your goalkicking is woeful you are on notice imo.
Bramble - hey Bevo, he is much a forward as Dunkley was a ruck.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2024, 08:45 AM
Bankers:
Treloar - yes he is not perfect but name one midfielder who consistently is. A workhorse. Another brilliant game.
Duryea - so tough, does the right things at the right moments.
Darcy - great all round game. Held his own well in ruck. Growing in confidence. Look out.

Anchors:
I’m always bias but we got a bad rub of the frees
Our goal kicking - Marra, Westy standing out.

Dry Rot
19-05-2024, 09:38 PM
Bankers

Grinding out a good win against a good team on their home ground ii poor conditions. Yes, the score flattered the Giants in the end but in many games we would get well ahead and then just let the other side regain momentum and kick a bag of goals. That didn't happen yesterday.

Darcy continues to show his promise and played very well in a game that did not suit big men.

Harmes and many of the youngsters did very well.

Anchors

Obviously goalkicking generally, and JUH in particular.

Still not impressed with our delivery into the forward 50.

Others have noted that our defensive set ups were much better, but nonetheless, there is still the old problem that somehow a short Bulldog player gets left to defend a tall opposition forward. An example - Cleary was left defending on Hogan outside the goal square.

azabob
19-05-2024, 09:55 PM
Bankers

Grinding out a good win against a good team on their home ground ii poor conditions. Yes, the score flattered the Giants in the end but in many games we would get well ahead and then just let the other side regain momentum and kick a bag of goals. That didn't happen yesterday.

Darcy continues to show his promise and played very well in a game that did not suit big men.

Harmes and many of the youngsters did very well.

Anchors

Obviously goalkicking generally, and JUH in particular.

Still not impressed with our delivery into the forward 50.

Others have noted that our defensive set ups were much better, but nonetheless, there is still the old problem that somehow a short Bulldog player gets left to defend a tall opposition forward. An example - Cleary was left defending on Hogan outside the goal square.

Just on Cleary he was at fault, why not punch the ball through rather than try and mar it?

bornadog
19-05-2024, 10:00 PM
Just on Cleary he was at fault, why not punch the ball through rather than try and mar it?

I think Hogan out reached him - maybe he should have tried to body him.

Dry Rot
19-05-2024, 10:17 PM
My point still stands about how Cleary was left on their best tall forward Hogan.

bornadog
19-05-2024, 10:41 PM
My point still stands about how Cleary was left on their best tall forward Hogan.

Jones left his man and attacked the player with the ball. The risk didn't pay off

Ozza
20-05-2024, 11:28 AM
Bankers:

Treloar - his cleanliness on ground balls and how he is holding onto the ball and running or opening up other options at the moment - loving it. He could be a 1 metre handballer type too often in the past, but credit to him - having huge impact now.

Richards - clearance work really excelllent.

Williams - composure in the conditions.

Anchors:

Weather in Sydney - I went up for the game. Absolutely freezing, windy, wet - it was like being at Waverley in 1994!
Cleary - I worry he doesn't have the attributes. Was pushed aside too easily.
Marra's kicking - have zero faith in him at the moment.

JanLorMill
20-05-2024, 11:44 AM
Bankers:

Treloar - his cleanliness on ground balls and how he is holding onto the ball and running or opening up other options at the moment - loving it. He could be a 1 metre handballer type too often in the past, but credit to him - having huge impact now.

Richards - clearance work really excelllent.

Williams - composure in the conditions.

Anchors:

Weather in Sydney - I went up for the game. Absolutely freezing, windy, wet - it was like being at Waverley in 1994!
Cleary - I worry he doesn't have the attributes. Was pushed aside too easily.
Marra's kicking - have zero faith in him at the moment.
Cleary has more attributes than his replacement Khamis.
Not only was the htb bs. The first hogan goal was a mark to Cleary.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 12:16 PM
Cleary has more attributes than his replacement Khamis.
Not only was the htb bs. The first hogan goal was a mark to Cleary.

Cleary didn't replace Khamis, Keath did.

westbulldog
20-05-2024, 12:19 PM

The kid has played 7 games and you have no tolerance for any mistake.

Sedat
20-05-2024, 02:14 PM
A:

Bramble - he needs to get some touch back in the twos. Can't knock his endeavour, but he's lacking class and will set our progress back if maintained in the ones
Probably the biggest understatement of the year has been from my Hawthorn supporting work colleagues at the start of this year, when they said Bramble can sometimes be a bit iffy with his disposal and decision-making.

It has been such an obvious flaw in the first 10 rounds of the year that I almost hope he stays wing/half-forward moving forward because his clangers in D50 are so costly on the scoreboard. It's shame because he has some strong attributes that we have obviously been in short supply of the last couple of years. He really needs to show more care with his disposal and also his decision-making - it is hard enough to win the ball and we can't gift it back to the oppo with a ribbon on it.