PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 10 vs GWS 2024

GVGjr
17-05-2024, 11:11 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R10 encounter against GWS.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2024, 08:03 PM
1. You can win kicking at about 25% goal accuracy. That would have to be a record.
2. Harmes played in the role we recruited him for works.
3. Marra needs a spell

4. Screw GWS

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-05-2024, 08:33 PM
1. Some good signs that Bont was only a bit player tonight in what was EXACTLY the type of win we needed to see from this group.

2. Ed Richards could potentially earn an AA role as a midfielder some day. 10 clearances tonight.

3. Naughton - He is a real live unicorn. Amongst the most aerially gifted in the competition, but absolutely gives nothing away to any opposition defender when the ball is on the deck, or in his endeavour when in pursuit. If he continues his overall good goalkicking form, he is going transform our whole forward line.

bornadog
18-05-2024, 09:26 PM
1. I hate GWS more than I thought

2. Sydney crowds haven't taken to GWS and can't see they ever will

3. Bevo is a genius but I knew that anyhow

jeemak
18-05-2024, 09:40 PM
1. I hate GWS more than I thought

2. Sydney crowds haven't taken to GWS and can't see they ever will

3. Bevo is a genius but I knew that anyhow

Nah mate he's a bumbling fool who doesn't know whether he's Arthur or Martha after losing to Essendon.

jeemak
18-05-2024, 09:50 PM
1. Life after Libba will probably be OK. I love the guy and want him to play again, but we have a back up option in Jacko and a change up option in Richards who can carry the load

2. Aaron Naughton has matured to the extent where you just can't keep him out of a game like other key forwards of his age/ experience. While I appreciate the calls to move him back (notwithstanding his ball use issues, I was originally in that camp myself), it's now well beyond the point where we lose too much in the process

3. We don't have to rely on Bont if our mid-tier players stand up. Some of the handling and ball use from the likes of Dale and Williams tonight was out of control good, while Duryea, West, VDM, JF, O'Donnell and a few others all had moments that just made things so much easier. Treloar outstanding again

I already knew this, but having Keath who is a highly skilled all round player fit and seemingly confident is much better than having Buku trying to learn how to be half as good as Keath when the whips are cracking. From here I want to see a defensive unit with Jones, Keath and Duryea as the senior heads marshalling the rest with some continuity - the number one issue that ****ed our season last year.

azabob
18-05-2024, 10:03 PM
1. Jones, Keath and Duryea are extremely limited athletically but damn they position themselves correctly and are very rarely caught out. The two big boys in particular played a huge role in the win tonight.

2. Aaron Naughton is having a wonderful season. With his new role we are seeing how athletically gifted he is. What a beautiful gesture wearing AOD training jumper on the ground during the pre game warm up.

3. I am not sure where to for Caleb Daniel. He needs to have a huge summer and reinvent himself somehow. Someone with his skill level and footy IQ should not be lost to the game.

Flamethrower
18-05-2024, 10:04 PM
1. Williamstown get bigger crowds than GWS.
2. Playing the didgeridoo after each Giants goal was a nice touch - shame they only played it 6 times.
3. Already knew this but wet weather exposes poor goal kicking technique - exhibit A - JUH.

jeemak
18-05-2024, 10:17 PM
1. Williamstown get bigger crowds than GWS.
2. Playing the didgeridoo after each Giants goal was a nice touch - shame they only played it 6 times.
3. Already knew this but wet weather exposes poor goal kicking technique - exhibit A - JUH.

You can't fall away to the side after leaning back if you concentrate on getting your forehead as close to your kicking leg's knee as you possibly can when shooting for goal.

It's an easy fix, he just needs to concentrate on substance over style.

ledge
18-05-2024, 10:30 PM
Our next generation is going to be very good.
Darcy is going to be unstoppable.
Freijah looks a find, O’Donnell is continuing to get confidence, Richards in his element and Saunders, Croft to come.

Naughton is so good up the ground with space.

Our defence is building connection, if only our forward line can.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-05-2024, 10:55 AM
1. We seen the last of Lobb. Darcy has huge talent and clunks marks and as good a kick as Lobb

2. Freijah could be the next JJ

3. Great win with Bont, Marra minimal impact and missing Smith, Libba and JJ. With this 5 stated who would have thought at the start of the year we would have won

azabob
19-05-2024, 11:34 AM
Not a dig at you Bumper Bulldogs but god damn we have set the bar high for Bontempelli.

Bont vs Greater Western Sydney:

8 inside 50s
7 clearances
5 tackles
22 pressure acts
4 score involvements
equal team high 6 one percenters
18 disposals (10 contested)
2 marks (both contested)
2 intercepts

Thanks for posting these stats BAD.

bornadog
19-05-2024, 11:36 AM
Not a dig at you Bumper Bulldogs but god damn we have set the bar high for Bontempelli.

8 inside 50s
7 clearances
5 tackles
22 pressure acts
4 score involvements
2 marks (both contested)
2 intercepts

Bevo in his presser said after half time they changed things around a bit and used Bont differently. Good to see we are trying to break tags.

angelopetraglia
19-05-2024, 11:39 AM

8 inside 50s
7 clearances
5 tackles
22 pressure acts
4 score involvements
2 marks (both contested)
2 intercepts

Yes. Still an enormous influence. But for Bont that is minimal impact.

Quick quiz. How many times did Marcus Bontempelli have only 18 or less posessions in the 2023 season. Zero times out of 23 games. 10 contested possessions, he only fell under that twice out of 23 games last year. Both 9. Now possesions are not everything, but it is still a minimal impact game from the great one.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-05-2024, 12:07 PM
I was reflecting on the win this morning, and it occurred to me that whilst we've all been critical, and rightly so, about the ability of this group to stand up in moments, we also have to hand it to them for simultaneously being able to regularly put all of those doubts aside and keep getting up off the metaphorical canvas to have another crack.

It would've been easy for a side to have just folded and gone on to be a perennial basket case in the aftermath of our 2021 GF bedshitting from nigh on 3Qtr time onward.

Yet in spite of the ongoing fragilities, what this group hasn't done is give into those doubts. We might get found out by them repeatedly, but it certainly doesn't seem lead to them just succumbing to the narrative.

Furthermore, the club has by and large not been riven with dispute and rancour internally; any problems have been managed super professionally.

The way players, Bevo and the club have responded to the growing kitchen temperature on our mediocre performances up to the Richmond game, has also been exemplary.

I was very much starting to get the wobbles in my belief Bevo was still the man, and the narrative and on surface the performances started to have me thinking maybe he had 'lost the group' and maybe it was 'time to go'..Once the vortex starts it's really easy to let it take you in.

Now I'm not calling for a 3 yr extension on the back of two wins against sides who on form lines were ready to be picked off against a suitably focused and able opponent. However, I think as I, like perhaps many supporters, am often quick to let a nice narrative lead me to an outcome, when the truth often requires a more nuanced hearing.

Bulldog Joe
19-05-2024, 12:09 PM
Yes. Still an enormous influence. But for Bont that is minimal impact.

Quick quiz. How many times did Marcus Bontempelli have only 18 or less posessions in the 2023 season. Zero times out of 23 games. 10 contested possessions, he only fell under that twice out of 23 games last year. Both 9. Now possesions are not everything, but it is still a minimal impact game from the great one.

I agree that we measure Bont harshly.

Some of the tap ons and blocks were sublime.

angelopetraglia
19-05-2024, 12:12 PM
I agree that we measure Bont harshly.

Some of the tap ons and blocks were sublime.

The mark on the wing in the last quarter was incredible too. Not too many in the comp would have held that mark in the wet with someone wearing you. He is just a superstar and we are lucky enough to watch him every week. Blessed.

jazzadogs
19-05-2024, 12:28 PM

8 inside 50s
7 clearances
5 tackles
22 pressure acts
4 score involvements
2 marks (both contested)
2 intercepts

Bont still played a good game, no doubt about that. I don't think anyone is really criticising him or saying he had a poor game...just reduced impact compared to the standard he has set for himself over a long period.

I thought he was very important and played quite a selfless game. Knowing that he was being tagged, he blocked and created space for the other mids as well as pushing forward to try and impact there.

It's great to have a gutsy win where Bont wasn't in top 8 best players and no Libba. (I have Treloar, Richards, Naughton, Darcy, Harmes, Dale, Williams and Macrae ahead of him last night)

kickit2Koly
19-05-2024, 01:07 PM
1. We can win without Bont dominating. For a long time opposition fans have said no Bont no Bulldogs, that?s not the case anymore.

2. Naughton is quietly putting together an all Aus calibre year.

3. Marra isn?t going as bad as some think. Yes he needs to fix his goal kicking but he?s still having at least 3 shots a game. Lobb hasn?t had 3 shots all year.

mighty_west
19-05-2024, 01:50 PM
1. I wrote Keath off at the start of the season by thinking he was only a "break glass" option along with Gardy if things got desperate, Keath has been a rock and has played as well as he has in quite a few seasons, only a couple of games but this helps Jones immensely and just gives us that extra trustworthy key defender, unfortunately for Busslinger though he has to remain extremely patient as he really is knocking the door down imo.

2. Extremely poor kicking last night, yeah well kind of, whilst 8.22 looks bad 7 of those were rushed and 7 hit the post which is a bit of an anomaly really, that said Marra needs extra help, Westy was our worst offender with 1.4 but he's usually a good kick for goal.

3. Laitham Vandermeer, is a bit of a whipping boy and i'm as guilty as anyone else getting stuck into him, but he's been ok and has kicked a few goals here and there, still needs to do a bit more imo but is tracking well, his crumbing goal last night was something the forward line has been lacking especially with 3 key forwards, if he can continue being more dangerous around the contest deep like a seagull down Willy beach waiting for a hot chippy, and continue being a pressure player then Arty and Clarke will have to work even harder and smarter in the VFL to get another crack at it.

Dry Rot
19-05-2024, 09:26 PM
1. Keath is continuing to prove that his presence makes Jones and JOD better, our defence better and the whole team better.

2. A Bulldogs team playing Richards in the midfield and no Libba may well be better than a Bulldogs team playing Richards in defence and Libba on the field.

3. I always knew that Treloar was talented, but I've been disappointed up to now overall with many of his games for the Dogs. Now he is playing up to his talent level, and that is very high.

D Mitchell
19-05-2024, 10:58 PM
I didn't see the game last night. If the score was 8.22, of which 7 were rushed, then, as far as shots for goal and kicking accuracy is concerned, it's 8.15. 7 hit posts is extraordinary, you'd expect a couple, perhaps 3 in a high scoring game, 4 extra goals and 4 fewer behinds, 12.12. Whatever's on the scoreboard, statistically, it doesn't look all that bad.

Ozza
20-05-2024, 11:32 AM
The mark on the wing in the last quarter was incredible too. Not too many in the comp would have held that mark in the wet with someone wearing you. He is just a superstar and we are lucky enough to watch him every week. Blessed.

Was directly in front of me. Was amazing how he just flexed and decided that it was too important for him to not win that contest.

Ozza
20-05-2024, 11:39 AM
1. Really dominant performance in reality. I went up for the game and the weather was bloody awful - windier than it would have looked on tv, and the drizzle was persistent enough that it affected the entire game. It was a very very good win.

2. Is it possible we play better away from the fast deck at Marvel? We looked harder to play against, weren't quite as overtly aggressive in the press up and the team defence/spacing of our players was really very good in all four quarters. At Marvel I'm often looking ahead at what will happen if we turnover the ball - and am living in fear. This was never the case on Saturday - GWS relied on Greene and Hogan being brilliant in some contests to score (apart from the Freijah/O'Donnell stuff up).

3. Doc Duryea - very team first, tough footballer. Didn't exactly learn it. But 200 games - well done.

lemmon
20-05-2024, 11:41 AM
Bont still played a good game, no doubt about that. I don't think anyone is really criticising him or saying he had a poor game...just reduced impact compared to the standard he has set for himself over a long period.

I thought he was very important and played quite a selfless game. Knowing that he was being tagged, he blocked and created space for the other mids as well as pushing forward to try and impact there.

It's great to have a gutsy win where Bont wasn't in top 8 best players and no Libba. (I have Treloar, Richards, Naughton, Darcy, Harmes, Dale, Williams and Macrae ahead of him last night)

I think some credit has to go to Callan Ward as well - he was excellent. Even when it seemed like Bont was told to float more forward after half-time to try and expose Cal Ward defensively, Ward become a huge nuisance himself at the contest. Thought he played a very good game.

Mantis
20-05-2024, 11:41 AM
1. Keath is continuing to prove that his presence makes Jones and JOD better, our defence better and the whole team better.

2. A Bulldogs team playing Richards in the midfield and no Libba may well be better than a Bulldogs team playing Richards in defence and Libba on the field.

3. I always knew that Treloar was talented, but I've been disappointed up to now overall with many of his games for the Dogs. Now he is playing up to his talent level, and that is very high.

This sets up an interesting dilemma for when (if) Libba returns... it's clear based on the last 2 games that Richards needs to be part of our 1st rotation in the centre and have at least an 80% attendance rate... how do we share the load with the others (Bont, Treloar & Libba)?

azabob
20-05-2024, 11:55 AM
1. Really dominant performance in reality. I went up for the game and the weather was bloody awful - windier than it would have looked on tv, and the drizzle was persistent enough that it affected the entire game. It was a very very good win.

2. Is it possible we play better away from the fast deck at Marvel? We looked harder to play against, weren't quite as overtly aggressive in the press up and the team defence/spacing of our players was really very good in all four quarters. At Marvel I'm often looking ahead at what will happen if we turnover the ball - and am living in fear. This was never the case on Saturday - GWS relied on Greene and Hogan being brilliant in some contests to score (apart from the Freijah/O'Donnell stuff up).

3. Doc Duryea - very team first, tough footballer. Didn't exactly learn it. But 200 games - well done.

Thanks for the intel on the weather, on the TV it certainly didn't look too bad.

I reckon you are spot on with point two. I had a quick exchange with 1eyedog in maybe the match day thread in reference the ground. If you take it a bit further. We played well against GCS in Ballarat, against Geelong in Adelaide and ok against Richmond.

Mantis
20-05-2024, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the intel on the weather, on the TV it certainly didn't look too bad.

I reckon you are spot on with point two. I had a quick exchange with 1eyedog in maybe the match day thread in reference the ground. If you take it a bit further. We played well against GCS in Ballarat, against Geelong in Adelaide and ok against Richmond.

We were also completely dogshit at the G vs Melbourne after a promising start in that game.

At Marvel we were very good against WC & the Saints and crap against the Hawks.

I think it's more on our appetite/ ability to defend than the venue.

azabob
20-05-2024, 01:36 PM
We were also completely dogshit at the G vs Melbourne after a promising start in that game.

At Marvel we were very good against WC & the Saints and crap against the Hawks.

I think it's more on our appetite/ ability to defend than the venue.

Agree with the Melbourne take.

West Coast and the Saints they were both horrendous when we played them.

IMO our form away from Marvel is better than our form at Marvel.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 01:44 PM
Agree with the Melbourne take.

West Coast and the Saints they were both horrendous when we played them.

IMO our form away from Marvel is better than our form at Marvel.

Next 5 games are at Marvel

azabob
20-05-2024, 01:47 PM
Next 5 games are at Marvel

Well hopefully I AM WRONG!!

westdog54
20-05-2024, 02:58 PM
This sets up an interesting dilemma for when (if) Libba returns... it's clear based on the last 2 games that Richards needs to be part of our 1st rotation in the centre and have at least an 80% attendance rate... how do we share the load with the others (Bont, Treloar & Libba)?

I see Bont and Libba spending some time in the forward line in this scenario.

Mantis
20-05-2024, 03:10 PM
I see Bont and Libba spending some time in the forward line in this scenario.

At who's expense?

Would have to think that Garcia or Macrae become expendable if we go down this path.

westdog54
20-05-2024, 03:28 PM
At who's expense?

Would have to think that Garcia or Macrae become expendable if we go down this path.

Faced with those options, I painfully lead towards putting more games into Garcia.

Bulldog Joe
20-05-2024, 04:04 PM
At who's expense?

Well someone needs to go out if/when Libba returns.

It may simply be decided by fitness anyway.

jeemak
20-05-2024, 04:26 PM
Not sure Libba coming back is something we'll have to worry about. I don't have a great feeling about where this is going for him.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Not sure Libba coming back is something we'll have to worry about. I don't have a great feeling about where this is going for him.

Should have posted this at 2am and you have been been right :D

Ozza
20-05-2024, 07:53 PM

Coldest I've been at the footy for a long time. Perhaps I've gotten soft under the roof. And at half time I found a spot behind a concrete pillar as a windbreak. Not my manliest performance!

soupman
22-05-2024, 11:26 PM
Coldest I've been at the footy for a long time. Perhaps I've gotten soft under the roof. And at half time I found a spot behind a concrete pillar as a windbreak. Not my manliest performance!

Nah it was freezing. I was sitting with all the VFL boys and the shorts they were wearing were not sufficient.

We were really considering trying to bring our twins for their first game, thank god we thought better of it, it would've been an unpleasant experience.