PDA

View Full Version : The Bevolution. Are you yes or no?

The Doctor
19-05-2024, 05:01 PM
Here we are 10 rounds in and we are 5 wins and 5 losses. So much conjecture has happened about Luke Beveridge this year.

The talk has been about 'evolution' this year. Bevo has alluded to it when under pressure from the media for poor results. Our President has as well.

We have seen inexperienced players such as; Sanders, Gallagher, Darcy, Freijah, Garcia, Cleary, Khamis, O'Donnell get games ahead of Macrae, Daniel, Keath, Gardner, Dale and Lobb.

We have seen moves such as Richards to the midfield when most of us would have preferred him at half back. Then we have seen Bevo stuck with Vanders, West and recently Garcia as small forwards despite the obvious fact they are not natural small forwards. It is not Bevo's fault we haven't recruited small/medium forwards. Or is it?

Given our results of 22/23 what were we to do? Do we continue playing our regulars who failed to get us to finals or find new players and make a change?

So, how do you sit? Are you pro the Bevolution or anti the Bevolution?

macca
19-05-2024, 05:24 PM
Sanders, Gallagher, Darcy, Freijah, Garcia, Cleary, Khamis, O'Donnell I like to get more games into Cleary, Busslinger, Arty, Clarke and Poulter

I am not convinced Khamis is going to be a good 1-1 defender. McNeil can't kick straight. Not sure what to do with Scott other than depth. Either we play him more and on the wing, but there are a few players ahead of him.

We need to start playing some of these kids to see where they are or move them on.

Almost halfway through the season, with 14 games left. We need to win at least 12 games in total to stay in the 8. So that is 7/14 , but realistic, would need at least 15 wins to be top 4 chance.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2024, 05:38 PM
Keep it going. Starting with Buss this week. And Sanders back ASAP.

Bulldog Joe
19-05-2024, 05:39 PM
I like to get more games into Cleary, Busslinger, Arty, Clarke and Poulter

I am not convinced Khamis is going to be a good 1-1 defender. McNeil can't kick straight. Not sure what to do with Scott other than depth. Either we play him more and on the wing, but there are a few players ahead of him.

We need to start playing some of these kids to see where they are or move them on.

Almost halfway through the season, with 14 games left. We need to win at least 12 games in total to stay in the 8. So that is 7/14 , but realistic, would need at least 15 wins to be top 4 chance.

12 games won't make finals.

13 to make finals which requires 8 from 13 or 15 for any chance of top 4 needs 10 of 13.

We just need to build momentum, but giving games to the younger brigade really makes it hard to make finals.

Grantysghost
19-05-2024, 06:16 PM
Time for change.

Gia or Hansen at the top of my list.

He's had a good run Bevo.

However I'd wait till the end of the year. This year is a 10-14 year.

And i reserve the right to change my mind as I'm laid up with covid.

Edit: To answer the OP properly i'll all for playing the kids and tanking this season for the next coach to come in with a high draft pick. Wait. Oh, yeah for Baz.

DOG GOD
19-05-2024, 06:20 PM
Time for change. Let him see the year and let’s hope he goes easily (which he probably won’t)
The players need to be rejuvenated by a game plan that has more than plan A.
I like Hansen and think he could be the guy.

DOG GOD
19-05-2024, 06:21 PM
Time for change.

Feel better soon. I had it 3 weeks ago…not good

azabob
19-05-2024, 06:29 PM
Time for change.

Time for change. Let him see the year and let’s hope he goes easily (which he probably won’t)
The players need to be rejuvenated by a game plan that has more than plan A.
I like Hansen and think he could be the guy.

The post is about changing up our players not a coaching change.

Grantysghost
19-05-2024, 06:30 PM
Feel better soon. I had it 3 weeks ago…not good
Cheers DG. First time for me unbelievably.

It is fkn awful. Never knew a human body could sweat so much.

Get your boosters folks, i was blase.

Yes my whole post was just about getting sympathy... Because.. Well.. I'm a man, and isolation sucks!

Grantysghost
19-05-2024, 06:32 PM
Oh, it says Bevolution.

Yes to players. (where was my get well? Youre on the list) Loving the kids.

Moderators can you change my vote to a yes please.

jeemak
19-05-2024, 06:50 PM
Time for change.

Hope it's not too serious a case, and you get well soon.

Lots of it going around right now. I was staggered to be only one of three people wearing a mask on MEL-SYD-MEL flights last week. Everyone I know who has travelled the past month or two has either gotten a rotten virus or COVID as a result of flying, and given I had been ill a few times these past months I figured I wouldn't risk it.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. He's earned the right to try and turn it around if the club has agreed we need to reset prior to going again, which I think it has.

Whether that's right, I don't know, but if we are going to back him we have to do it wholeheartedly. I guess we also need to be working on a contingency if things don't look like improving as the season progresses.

But part of the deal is we have to keep introducing players and getting experience into those we think might be ready to develop their craft at the senior level. We need to figure out if Bedendo can play, and Busslinger needs blooding. It won't be a good look if we leave Sanders in the twos for much longer. There needs to be change and if that's not at the coaching level then it has to be in the playing group.

Grantysghost
19-05-2024, 07:08 PM
Hope it's not too serious a case, and you get well soon.

Lots of it going around right now. I was staggered to be only one of three people wearing a mask on MEL-SYD-MEL flights last week. Everyone I know who has travelled the past month or two has either gotten a rotten virus or COVID as a result of flying, and given I had been ill a few times these past months I figured I wouldn't risk it.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. He's earned the right to try and turn it around if the club has agreed we need to reset prior to going again, which I think it has.

Whether that's right, I don't know, but if we are going to back him we have to do it wholeheartedly. I guess we also need to be working on a contingency if things don't look like improving as the season progresses.
Thanks Jee. Was a bit dicey the last two nights almost went the ED but temp down and sats normal.

Feeling semi normal again.

Apologies Doc i wont hijack your thread anymore.

Send flowers to GG care of GVGjrs tent.

And yes we are pretending its gone.

azabob
19-05-2024, 07:18 PM

Yes my whole post was just about getting sympathy... Because.. Well.. I'm a man, and isolation sucks!

Get well mate.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-05-2024, 07:49 PM
Glad to hear you're now on the mend GG, that sounded nasty.

bornadog
19-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Thanks Jee. Was a bit dicey the last two nights almost went the ED but temp down and sats normal.

Feeling semi normal again.

Apologies Doc i wont hijack your thread anymore.

Send flowers to GG care of GVGjrs tent.

And yes we are pretending its gone.
Hope all is well

josie
19-05-2024, 09:01 PM
I?m a Yes. Play the young ones so we can make informed decisions. It also keeps fans like me excited/interested in a season where I was and still am not expecting much (but always hoping for a miraculous turnaround in form).

Regarding Bevo I agree with keeping him on until end of year unless he loses the players in meantime. If there is a miraculous turnaround including winning at least one final and also not having our pants pulled down like the 2021 GF then he should see out his contract.

josie
19-05-2024, 09:02 PM
And wishing you a speedy recovery GG.

whythelongface
19-05-2024, 09:23 PM
I like the idea of blooding youth with experience It is a fine line between having too many older heads who aren?t performing and too many young guys who, whilst talented, don?t yet have the footy smarts or body to compete. The last two weeks have been good. We need to continue down that path. There will be some bumps along the journey.

The thread did take a u-turn with the discussion about Bevo retaining his job. I note some are suggesting retaining him till the end of this year but then what? If the Bevolution brings about change that sees incremental improvements throughout the year resulting in a finals berth then why not retain him longer and see how we perform next year. Clearly he hasn?t lost the playing group. In fact there appears to a rejuvenation and a steely determination to say up yours to the media establishment.

GG - hope you get better soon

Uninformed
19-05-2024, 09:55 PM
All in with the Bevolution.

Like seeing new blood getting a shot. Youth and enthusiasm. (Although I could say that about recalling John Schultz the way I feel these days.)

I remember Malthouse being criticised for dropping experienced players like Tarkyn Lockyer for youth the year they won it. But the kids did well.

Bevo has turned over the list since arriving and he did the same for three premierships in a row at St. Bedes.

Hotdog60
19-05-2024, 10:32 PM
Hang in there GG I'm a Novid and I work in a hospital. It pays to be anti-social. :)

Grantysghost
19-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Hang in there GG I'm a Novid and I work in a hospital. It pays to be anti-social. :)
I actually got it helping someone who was really crook and needed a paramedic. I was the stay with guy.
Otherwise the streak would have maintained!

Uninformed
19-05-2024, 11:45 PM
I actually got it helping someone who was really crook and needed a paramedic. I was the stay with guy.
Otherwise the streak would have maintained!

Get well GG!

Grantysghost
19-05-2024, 11:55 PM
Sorry doc.

Ha doc, ironic.

Back on thread.

As BT said wouldn't mind seeing Buss play soon. Maybe JOD out for a rest.

mighty_west
20-05-2024, 12:48 AM
Get well soon GG, i've had it a few times, the 30-36 hours is hell but i was cleaning the house from top to bottom on day 3 as i couldn't work, but it can linger for months where you have your normal feel fine days but also run down with NRG days too.

Have to go the Bevolution, things have looked stale for a few seasons so change not just in personal but positional changes was a must imo, before Ed Richards went in the guts i wanted him tried there on the back of one of Gary's training reports where Ed trained there and dominated, be interesting to see which coach or coaches came up with that trial idea because it will transform our stale midfield but also turn Ed into a more damaging player in years to come.

Liked the Naughton move up the ground on occasions too, even use Jamarra up field which will give us more marking targets further up the ground and clear out space for the other forwards at times, also continue to run whichever oppo key defender is dominating, and just keep changing it up.

Have to blood the kids, especially reward good form in the VFL, and whilst the club but especially Bevo has come under heavy scrutiny i don't mind the fact the Jacko or Caleb spent time in the VFL, if these players have lost some of their effectiveness in games then why not make them work their asses off to get back into the side, and i think the Sydney, Geelong or Pies model is the way to go, you don't want to bottom out and cut too much experience at once (look at North), those better cultured clubs don't bottom out they have a dip in form from time to time but get back just as quickly, to me it creates a winning and positive culture, i'll be staggered if the Pies retired off both Sidebottom and Pendles during the same off season for example.

The Suns and Giants (even though they made a GF) are living proof you don't have to have handfuls of top early picks to win Premierships if you don't have "quality" experience around them, it's also another reason priority picks is just an excuse for poorly managed teams to grab a freebie, it'll make no difference but that's another debate.

Keep playing the likes of Gags, Sanders will come back in at some stage, Freijah, Darcy is still a pup and has already gone past Lobb, Busslinger would be next cab etc, what we had wasn't working so it's a no brainer that these are changes that simply had to be made for now and for the future, because the now over the past few seasons have been mediocre.

Bullies
20-05-2024, 08:28 AM
I like what Bevo is doing with both Sanders and Busslinger. Teaching Buss to defend and how to play on opponents. Should be ready to go when he comes in.

Sanders also learning the defensive side of his game before he comes back in. Would never had to defend during his junior years.

Can't be underestimated the value of seconds football. Everyone getting impatient with Sanders not playing but he will come back a better player. Just hope with the work we have put into Buss we can keep him.

Jasper
20-05-2024, 09:44 AM
I'm in the wait until the end of the season group. If we under deliver then lets consider our options.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 09:56 AM
You need to re read the OP

I'm in the wait until the end of the season group. If we under deliver then lets consider our options.

Mantis
20-05-2024, 10:35 AM
Here we are 10 rounds in and we are 5 wins and 5 losses. So much conjecture has happened about Luke Beveridge this year.

The talk has been about 'evolution' this year. Bevo has alluded to it when under pressure from the media for poor results. Our President has as well.

We have seen inexperienced players such as; Sanders, Gallagher, Darcy, Freijah, Garcia, Cleary, Khamis, O'Donnell get games ahead of Macrae, Daniel, Keath, Gardner, Dale and Lobb.

We have seen moves such as Richards to the midfield when most of us would have preferred him at half back. Then we have seen Bevo stuck with Vanders, West and recently Garcia as small forwards despite the obvious fact they are not natural small forwards. It is not Bevo's fault we haven't recruited small/medium forwards. Or is it?

Given our results of 22/23 what were we to do? Do we continue playing our regulars who failed to get us to finals or find new players and make a change?

So, how do you sit? Are you pro the Bevolution or anti the Bevolution?

It would help if you could name these players for me.

GVGjr
20-05-2024, 10:51 AM
We've got the balance about right and I don't believe we should gift games. Perhaps that changes later in the season.
I'd rather we continue to put more games into the likes of Gallagher, Cleary, JOD, Sanders and Freijah that spreading the games or opportunities across a wider group.

SonofScray
20-05-2024, 12:41 PM
Pro Bevolution as presented here and also #sackbevo

mjp
20-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Ummm.

I have abstained from voting.

I'm still uncertain whether the "Bevolution" (as presented) is really revolutionary or simply a spin of the wheel of fate which means that some selection decisions have paid off vs not paid off.

I am all in with the Richards to the mids idea, the play Garcia idea and the 'we need TWO mature and competent key defenders' idea. I am not necessarily on board with some of the decisions - particularly those pertaining to our running defenders - HOWEVER happily acknowledge that things are working well enough right now.

I am also not on-board with the club considering what is happening right now "Bevo-lutionary" and therefore deciding to pump games into Busslinger, Jones, Clarke et al whilst the team is in contention. Make them knock the door down with their VFL performances...if all you do is tappity-tap for a couple of weeks then stay in the VFL. Do what Macrae did - 438 possessions and 200-clearances - basically MADE the MC pick him.

I think it's an open year. I don't think we're quite good enough but it's May. We have a strong-ish midfield group and some forwards who I wouldn't want to be planning for...Sydney this week have quite literally no matchup for Darcy, Jamarra or Naughton. I guess, Melican will have to take Darcy, Blakey will take Naughton and Francis will try to play on Marra? Or do they just tell Rampe to play on Marra and try and bash him up to allow Blakey to continue to be a spare? We are a genuine problem for most teams ahead of the ball...It sounds stupid given we lost to Hawthorn but it is 100% not season over time/look to the future time...sure, keep one eye on it but we can win games and finals NOW.

azabob
20-05-2024, 05:10 PM
Ummm.

I'm still uncertain whether the "Bevolution" (as presented) is really revolutionary or simply a spin of the wheel of fate which means that some selection decisions have paid off vs not paid off.

Ok, against my better judgement... :)

Interesting choice of words.

In my view, our approach to selecting younger players has been deliberate and, in some cases, planned since the preseason. This is evident with players like Gallagher, Sanders, and Khamis, to a certain extent.

We initially chose Lobb over Darcy as our first choice, but we couldn't ignore the performance of either player. The subsequent change has proven to be the right call.

Clarke is probably the only selection that hasn't worked out. Would he have been chosen if either Weightman or West were available? By all reports Freijah earned his spot with consistent performances in the VFL.

You had strong reservations about selecting James O'Donnell without exposed form. As a coach, have you ever supported a player and played them even when outsiders couldn't understand the decision? This seems to be the case with JOD.

I'm not really sure spinning the wheel of fate in this instance is a fair call.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 05:15 PM
You had strong reservations about selecting James O'Donnell without exposed form. As a coach, have you ever supported a player and played them even when outsiders couldn't understand the decision? This seems to be the case with JOD

I think with all the players selected it certainly has been a case of good form in the preseason, or good form in VFL, except JOD.

I think he is being fast tracked as we need a big bloke like him to develop fast and hold down that CHB role. So far he has played well, and hope he can keep it up.

DOG GOD
20-05-2024, 05:19 PM

Hopefully you only get it once. I?ve had it 3 times. Terrible.

GVGjr
20-05-2024, 05:53 PM
Ummm.

I am all in with the Richards to the mids idea, the play Garcia idea and the 'we need TWO mature and competent key defenders' idea. I am not necessarily on board with some of the decisions - particularly those pertaining to our running defenders - HOWEVER happily acknowledge that things are working well enough right now.

I am also not on-board with the club considering what is happening right now "Bevo-lutionary" and therefore deciding to pump games into Busslinger, Jones, Clarke et al whilst the team is in contention. Make them knock the door down with their VFL performances...if all you do is tappity-tap for a couple of weeks then stay in the VFL. Do what Macrae did - 438 possessions and 200-clearances - basically MADE the MC pick him.

I think it's an open year. I don't think we're quite good enough but it's May. We have a strong-ish midfield group and some forwards who I wouldn't want to be planning for...Sydney this week have quite literally no matchup for Darcy, Jamarra or Naughton. I guess, Melican will have to take Darcy, Blakey will take Naughton and Francis will try to play on Marra? Or do they just tell Rampe to play on Marra and try and bash him up to allow Blakey to continue to be a spare? We are a genuine problem for most teams ahead of the ball...It sounds stupid given we lost to Hawthorn but it is 100% not season over time/look to the future time...sure, keep one eye on it but we can win games and finals NOW.

Fully agree, at the moment we should continue to reward deserving players regardless of what might be considered ideal development of an emerging list. We clearly saw that Clarke wasn't ready and it would be somewhat foolish to continue that approach. Frejiah probably wasn't knocking the door down in a true sense but he had put up a number of good performances and was rewarded accordingly. We had a look a good look at Sanders and then sent him back to Footscray to work on some areas of his game and I think that's the right thing to do.
Getting games into Gallagher and JOD and sticking with them during some fluctuating form is okay given there isn't clear replacements for them. We've had a good look at Khamis and now have a couple of extra games to check on Cleary.
The big bonus to me is the form of Garcia who also earned his way in to help cover the likes of Liberatore.

Is it a Bevolution or Bevodelopment of the playing list I don't really know but I'd certainly like for him and his coaches to stick with the current approach.

Great thread Doc, a real thought provoker.

AshMac
21-05-2024, 09:10 AM
I?m all for playing the kids and am all for being a faster team at moving the ball - but I am still a hard no on Bevo.

I like what I see from some of the kids and we?re getting good mileage now from a couple of cheap trades last year. Whether the hard love worked with Macrae and Dale I don?t know but they are automatic best 22 again which is good.

One positive for me is our willingness to actually play our young draft picks rather than constantly mining coal with mature age mid season picks. This was a particular gripe over the last 2 years - imagine if all the games into McNeil were put into west over the last 2 years for example.

What I can?t stand is our team system and our complete inability to coach against other teams strengths. We don?t seem to adapt much week to week and we make very little change during games to curb opposition strengths or momentum.

The thing I just can?t understand is our inability to defend a turnover outside deep D50 individual brilliance or our forward system - the off ball movement, inability to lower the eyes kicking in, constant out marking in parks by tall defenders and ease teams get it out are infuriating. Goal kicking I can tolerate - it?s the inefficiency in there for me and I largely think it?s coaching.

Probably doesn?t help that 2 years in a row we?ve been told all off-season the coaches are aware and have fixed it

1eyedog
21-05-2024, 11:58 AM
Ready for change. 90% of you know you are too you're just one bad loss away from clicking the other button.

1eyedog
21-05-2024, 11:59 AM
Happy for him to see out the year no matter what though.

mjp
21-05-2024, 12:20 PM
You had strong reservations about selecting James O'Donnell without exposed form. As a coach, have you ever supported a player and played them even when outsiders couldn't understand the decision? This seems to be the case with JOD.

Maybe? Probably?? I don't know. No secret that I've spent my life in the pathway not in the AFL though. Again - I'm happy enough with JOD I just don't get the love for him by supporters AND by coaches. When he does something competent, his efforts are lauded. Hell, people are calling for Alex Keath (who has clearly outperformed him at senior level when he has played this year) to be omitted and JOD to be retained alongside Busslinger (yet to debut).

JOD is fine...I just don't get the overall love except for the fact that we all liked watching his Dad bat back in the 90's.

I'm not really sure spinning the wheel of fate in this instance is a fair call.

Fair. I guess I meant there has always seemed to be a bit of 'selection bingo' with Bevo - players with moderate/no VFL form plucked for the seniors. Hell, there may have been an instance where 5x injured players were all selected to play in one particular final vs West Coast a few years ago - the fates were with us that day and it has felt (at times) like they are with us again.

I know you've singled out JOD as the 'only one' not deserving of a game.
I would challenge that:
Khamis was not deserving of a game.
Clarke was not deserving of a game.
Freijah was not deserving of a game.

What makes you 'deserving'?
- Experienced players? Go back and DOMINATE aka do the 'Jack Macrae'. Make them pick you.
- Inexperienced players? Minimum of FIVE (5) games IN A ROW clearly out-performing the person ahead of you in the senior side.

I think the Clarke selection was a bit more of an 'arse pluck' than a 'real' selection (as in, "well, we've got no-one else, let's play the kid")...but I felt the same way when Jones (Artie) was picked last year and cannot understand people calling for his return this year.

If we - as supporters - want strong + consistent performances, then we need to pick strong and consistent players. Clarke isn't that. Jones isn't that (to be fair, he hasn't been picked). I think Sanders being sent back to the VFL was an example of the sort of decision making we all want to see from the MC. He's a kid who's learning...let him learn - there's so much time for him right now and whilst I will always believe it is critical to PLAY the draftees so we know what we've got, at the same time there is no need to play them 'forever'.

Sedat
21-05-2024, 12:33 PM
Clarke selection was simply apples with apples to replace the suspended West, and he was the best performed of the VFL small pressure forwards (Artie and McNeil) for that particular match committee selection meeting. It was a reach but under the specific circumstances at the time it was fine IMO.

bornadog
21-05-2024, 01:03 PM
I know you've singled out JOD as the 'only one' not deserving of a game.

I would challenge that:
Khamis was not deserving of a game.
Clarke was not deserving of a game.
Freijah was not deserving of a game.

* JOD: Agree he is being fast tracked - but, he is 198cm and we don't have many athletic 198cm backman, and he has shown something

* Khamis - was excellent in the preseason and ended up being pretty good for a few weeks and in the top 5 intercept marks in the AFL (at that time). Fell away a little and was dropped.

* Clarke - Weightman and West out, and I guess no one else left. He did show some form in the VFL

*Freijah - was knocking on the door with some very good performances at VFL level.

I have no issues with these picks (except maybe Clarke)

SquirrelGrip
21-05-2024, 01:16 PM
* JOD: Agree he is being fast tracked - but, he is 198cm and we don't have many athletic 198cm backman, and he has shown something

* Khamis - was excellent in the preseason and ended up being pretty good for a few weeks and in the top 5 intercept marks in the AFL (at that time). Fell away a little and was dropped.

* Clarke - Weightman and West out, and I guess no one else left. He did show some form in the VFL

*Freijah - was knocking on the door with some very good performances at VFL level.

I agree with Freijah, definitely impressed with what I saw at Footscray and deserving of a run at senior level.

With Clarke, he was one of those players with the question of whether he would play better with better players around him. With Cody and West out, it was a fair and reasonable selection. Imagine this board's reaction if they'd picked McNeil instead! Clarke's first test failed, but hopefully like Sanders he knows what he has to work on and goes back to do exactly that.

mighty_west
21-05-2024, 01:37 PM

Yeah i think with JOD, he was fast tracked to a certain extent however he came into the VFL side and played out of his skin from his first game, think he took a dozen grabs in the his first game with the 'Scray? and continued on after that to the point he was our best performed tall defender in a short period of time, plus the fact he was a mature ager, wasn't an 18 year old skinny runt so wasn't as big a stretch giving him a debut early on imo, and like you said a 198cm athletic type showing good signs and taking stacks of nice grabs.

For mine, Freijah was our best performed draftee slightly ahead of Sanders, Sanders ripped it apart a bit in the pre season but once the real games started i reckon Joel was showing the most even early on, showing so much poise and that type that had so much time with ball in hand, what's that old saying? When you know, you know!

Clarke, he just didn't look ready to me, sure showed some good signs in the VFL but does get a lot of cheapie out the back goals and like Jones, hasn't been consistent enough and i'm certain he played because of Westy copping a week, and in hindsight we probably would have been better off playing Daniel in the forward line like he did in the under 18's rotating between fwd and mid.

mjp
21-05-2024, 02:57 PM
When we say Clarke and Weightman are "like for like" I do wonder what we are all looking at.

Freijah was knocking quietly on the door...not banging it down. With Daniel available at half-back, he should have been made to bang.

JOD I have no comments on that I haven't already shared...there's a whole thread about it! Again, I like him fine but don't get the obsession. He is a very good looking man though so I guess that's part of it.

GVGjr
21-05-2024, 03:19 PM
When we say Clarke and Weightman are "like for like" I do wonder what we are all looking at.

Freijah was knocking quietly on the door...not banging it down. With Daniel available at half-back, he should have been made to bang.

JOD I have no comments on that I haven't already shared...there's a whole thread about it! Again, I like him fine but don't get the obsession. He is a very good looking man though so I guess that's part of it.

I don't see any real similarities in the way Clarke and Weightman go about their forward craft but perhaps Cody needs to become a bit more of a ground level player.
Agree that Freijah didn't knock the door down in a traditional sense but he did string a few solid performances together so deserved a chance and has grasped it pretty well. Regarding Daniel, he's lifted his work rate in recent training sessions and perhaps holding him back a bit longer might have sparked that.

JOD is the outlier based on his performances and has certainly been given a lot of time to find some form.
From a training POV he does look composed with his skills but given he's an ex cricketer he should be aware that at some point he needs to get some runs on the board and it's form in the middle rather than in the nets that count.
Coffield will be available soon enough and Busslinger is starting to get some good games behind him so there could be some competition for him to battle against.

SonofScray
21-05-2024, 03:28 PM
I don't see any real similarities in the way Clarke and Weightman go about their forward craft but perhaps Cody needs to become a bit more of a ground level player.
Agree that Freijah didn't knock the door down in a traditional sense but he did string a few solid performances together so deserved a chance and has grasped it pretty well. Regarding Daniel, he's lifted his work rate in recent training sessions and perhaps holding him back a bit longer might have sparked that.

JOD is the outlier based on his performances and has certainly been given a lot of time to find some form.
From a training POV he does look composed with his skills but given he's an ex cricketer he should be aware that at some point he needs to get some runs on the board and it's form in the middle rather than in the nets that count.
Coffield will be available soon enough and Busslinger is starting to get some good games behind him so there could be some competition for him to battle against.

Thought Freijah put together a run of form that was as close to someone knocking the door down in the twos as I can recall in recent history, from his age profile and potential role at least.

Pleather Sole
21-05-2024, 03:34 PM

Ability aside, I have never thought of JOD as a "very good looking man" I guess he's pleasing to look at, is that the consensus, that he's a bit of a Rooster?

Mantis
21-05-2024, 03:42 PM

I can't see how they're competing for the same spot.

To me Freijah has replaced Richards as a medium sized defender whereas Daniel who is much more limited in the type of player he can play on is competing with the likes of Duryea, JJ and Bramble.

EasternWest
21-05-2024, 04:18 PM
Ability aside, I have never thought of JOD as a "very good looking man" I guess he's pleasing to look at, is that the consensus, that he's a bit of a Rooster?

I'd go with JOD, but I'd be thinking of SSEW.

The bulldog tragician
21-05-2024, 04:20 PM
I can't see how they're competing for the same spot.

To me Freijah has replaced Richards as a medium sized defender whereas Daniel who is much more limited in the type of player he can play on is competing with the likes of Duryea, JJ and Bramble.

Not Bramble surely!

I think the point is even when Caleb plays on the backline, he can’t really be a “defender” as almost everyone is taller than him and he’s not quick either. He’s always been there as a playmaker. I’m really not sure where he fits in now and there has clearly been a massive loss of confidence.

As to the original question, though I’m on board with most of the changes, I’m not sure how many are planning masterstrokes, and how many have been jigsaw puzzle pieces being moved around due to form issues or injuries, eg was Red always in the midfield mix as we seemed to start off with trying to have more interceptors in defence and he was integral to that.

I’d still like to see us with more variety in the midfield, Garcia hasn’t attended many, if he’s our midfield future I’d really like to develop him more rather than become another half forward graveyard occupant.p

Uninformed
21-05-2024, 05:41 PM
Ummm.

There have been times past when I have found selections to be puzzling. Not this year though. All seem quite rational. Keath and Gardner injured, Khamis and JOD played. West and Cody out, next best prospect in. Gallagher, Freijah, inject some youth and energy. Team has plenty of experience. Sanders had to play, then back to the seconds to practice stuff. Bramble and VDM for pace.

Look how well Dale has gone since being dropped. A bit of time at Footscray has helped Macrae.

I have heard Bevo dismiss rebuilds for constant evolution, which is what I thought you meant by Bevolution. His view is that you can evolve while still aiming to win this week and this year.

That seems the ideal philosophy to me. Have an eye for both this week and the evolution needed for the last week in September.

mjp
21-05-2024, 06:16 PM
I have zero issue with Dale and Macrae (and Daniel) playing at Footscray. If any of my comments have indicated that I was then I apologise...it was never the intent.

Uninformed
21-05-2024, 06:55 PM
I have zero issue with Dale and Macrae (and Daniel) playing at Footscray. If any of my comments have indicated that I was then I apologise...it was never the intent.

Not saying you did. Just me spitballing.

What do you think of my take on the Bevo philosophy?

1eyedog
21-05-2024, 06:56 PM
This thread is driving me Bevocrazy.

mjp
22-05-2024, 10:37 AM
Not saying you did. Just me spitballing.

What do you think of my take on the Bevo philosophy?

That we can evolve without rebuilding? I don't disagree - I'm still not sure we've got all boxes ticked - the Garcia vs Gallagher argument in another thread is an example of this...I get what you are saying in terms of players being selected for roles - I do - but I still can't get behind what's happened so far this year when:

JOD and Khamis are two of three tall defenders and Khamis continuously found himself the deepest.
Clarke is selected despite just not being anywhere next to ready.
Freiiah is selected after a handful of good games when experienced options are available.

Do I think we've landed in a pretty good spot NOW? Well - sure. I'm with Mantis that the midfield minutes for Gallagher and Garcia need to be 'flipped', but Freijah has seemingly settled in OK and Keath has (thankfully) replaced Khamis giving us both a big body AND a mature head behind the ball. Is that 'Bevolution' or is that simply following the bouncing ball of form/results?

Back to your question, I'm curious what your thoughts are re- the Bevolution and game-style.

Jordan is coming for Dale - who is driving us from half-back. What is his plan?
Heeney is probs leading the Brownlow - what is his plan?
They are 100% going to try and free up Blakey - what is his plan?

For three (or more) years now we have gone into games with a plan that seemed to be "Let the chips fall where they may...our best vs their best" - and the outcome has more often than not been a 'good effort' but a close loss where the oppo's best players (eg. Stewart at Geelong, May at Melbourne) ultimately had the biggest say in the result.

Mantis
22-05-2024, 12:48 PM
Back to your question, I'm curious what your thoughts are re- the Bevolution and game-style.

For three (or more) years now we have gone into games with a plan that seemed to be "Let the chips fall where they may...our best vs their best" - and the outcome has more often than not been a 'good effort' but a close loss where the oppo's best players (eg. Stewart at Geelong, May at Melbourne) ultimately had the biggest say in the result.

I'm really sick of that style of playing considering the work teams put into limiting the effect our important players will have in the game.

Sydney is rightfully the best team in the comp right now and have a dynamic midfield and HB line which they heavily rely upon... I can't wait to see what plans we have for their key playmakers, and I believe simply going H2H will be a dangerous strategy.

MrMahatma
22-05-2024, 01:01 PM
Yeah. It'll be a real Bevolution if we put some visible action/effort/roles in to curb Heeney, and for Dale to free himself from the tag (or others to benefit from the tag).

What's more likely is Dale gets 10 touches, Heeney has 25 and 3 goals, and Warner has similar numbers. Bont will get 30 and 2 goals and we'll lose by 2 kicks.

Eastdog
22-05-2024, 01:55 PM
I have really liked us blooding some new players this season.

Gallagher, Freijah, Sanders and Clarke. Gallagher was very good early on and Freijah has been good since coming in. Be good to see Busslinger next.

Darcy has been excellent this season and will be a contested marking beast. Garcia has impressed as well.

I will give Bevo until the end of the season and then re-evaluate from there.

Eastdog
22-05-2024, 02:01 PM

Get well soon Granty.

Grantysghost
22-05-2024, 02:09 PM
Get well soon Granty.
Thanks ED feeling a lot better today.

bornadog
22-05-2024, 02:15 PM
Thanks ED feeling a lot better today.

Ready for tonight?

mighty_west
22-05-2024, 02:20 PM
I think the point of this evolution is to trial players who the majority of time have been in good form in the VFL to come in and play a role, McNeil was killing it in the pre season games so he got a gig round 1, but was dropped the following week, Sanders was given a few games off a strong and very impressive pre-season, but he's now back in the VFL working on his game, Freijah is now in, Cleary, and if their form doesn't hold up or don't seem ready they will also go back.

The Pies won last years Premiership and are on the way up again after a slow start to the season, they are bringing in two debutants this week (one played cricket against Pakistan and the other is Ben Allen's kid who a lot of us had an eye on in the Busslinger draft), and whether the team is mid range and needing a quickfire rebuild, refresh, Bevo-lution etc OR they're knee deep in contending, teams will still need to have in place some form of "evolution" with their teams whether it being smaller or on a larger scale, i mean, we even won a Premiership with two kids with only a handful of games each under their belts in Dunks and Cordy.

Grantysghost
22-05-2024, 04:07 PM
Ready for tonight?
Yep, even if i last a half i'll be happy! Be interested to see what the crowd will be.
I'm tipping not that huge.

The Adelaide Connection
24-05-2024, 11:52 AM
I have been guilty of telling mates that Bevo has no Plan B and that he is usually out coached- leading to some pretty average teams beating us.

Last night I braced myself for the last quarter. Five day break. Three out. Swans starting to run all over us.

Credit where credit is due- the changes were brilliant and reinvigorated us. Super ballsy to take out your champion from the middle and load it full of a crew of pretty green Riley?s.

With just a pinch more luck we steal that. But regardless, going down like that versus the 10 goal loss I was expecting from 3/4 time was immense.

Hotdog60
24-05-2024, 12:10 PM
Could it be that the changes made in the off season allows Bevo to concentrate more on his coaching so he's better prepared to run plan A or B or C.

The Adelaide Connection
24-05-2024, 01:44 PM
Could it be that the changes made in the off season allows Bevo to concentrate more on his coaching so he's better prepared to run plan A or B or C.

It certainly couldn't hurt in general terms.

But I don't think there was any planning on this one- it was pulled out of necessity with the unique set of dominoes that fell. I like to think it was on the fly and it was a great set of moves.

Uninformed
24-05-2024, 09:12 PM
That we can evolve without rebuilding? I don't disagree - I'm still not sure we've got all boxes ticked - the Garcia vs Gallagher argument in another thread is an example of this...I get what you are saying in terms of players being selected for roles - I do - but I still can't get behind what's happened so far this year when:

JOD and Khamis are two of three tall defenders and Khamis continuously found himself the deepest.
Clarke is selected despite just not being anywhere next to ready.
Freiiah is selected after a handful of good games when experienced options are available.

Do I think we've landed in a pretty good spot NOW? Well - sure. I'm with Mantis that the midfield minutes for Gallagher and Garcia need to be 'flipped', but Freijah has seemingly settled in OK and Keath has (thankfully) replaced Khamis giving us both a big body AND a mature head behind the ball. Is that 'Bevolution' or is that simply following the bouncing ball of form/results?

Thanks for this. Only just got back to it and now it is after the game. So I can say that, though I saw the dangers in exactly those areas (Blakey/Heeney/Jordan) plus Warner and Gulden, I could not come up with a plan to manage them before the game.

Having watched the game, I thought we went really well. Does it seem that we went well because we had a plan or was it a 'Let the chips fall..' scenario again?

On the Bevolution, I think a lot of the selections this year could be traced to form and injury and training load. McNeil, Gallagher and Sanders off good pre-seasons, Macrae building training load in the 2s from injury and indifferent form. Buku through preseason form and injury to other options. Keath having proven his form in the 2s.

I think other selections, especially Bramble, come from implementing a faster moving game plan.

I understand, and agree, with your view that we should not select on potential, but I don't think that is the only basis for selecting JOD as he has performed pretty well most of the time. And Clarke was way too early, but maybe that was a bit of 'who else' and 'lets have a look at him.'

I think Darcy and Lobb showed the ideal basis for selection. Darcy was killing it in the 2s, Lobb's form dropped sufficiently to make the change an obvious one. Experience, age, potential were not the main criteria. If Darcy's form drops, or he runs out of gas, and Lobb is dominating in the 2s he comes back in.

If the Bevolution is bringing in younger players who are playing as well as, or ideally better than, older players in that position then it seems sound to me. I like the Geelong and Sydney models of continuous evolution without the bang or bust mentality of the 'you have to bottom out and rebuild to get elite talent' approach.

From listening to him, I think Bevo's approach is: select and recruit for now without ignoring the future.

I bolded the first bit as it has primary importance, but only if connected to the second bit in italics. You don't put the future, and speculations about premiership windows, ahead of wining it this year! But you also don't sacrifice your future to win it this year. Win it this year without giving up half a decade of future first round picks to to do it, in simple terms. And win it with the best list you can assemble year by year and best 23 you can find week by week.

I think this is what Bevo has been doing since he got here and that what I call a Bevolution.