PDA

View Full Version : The Monday Soapbox - R10

azabob
20-05-2024, 10:04 AM
Have a rant about something that annoyed you for this round.

It could be someone stepping on your toes and stealing your regular thread, the AFL, umpiring, Kane Cornes, Channel 7 commentary, Rules or even opposition players etc.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 10:11 AM
Bloody Aza has stolen GVGjr thread :D

On a more serious soapbox, I still can't see the point of the Stand rule, plus many 50 metre penalties given for not standing properly - it is a joke of a rule

azabob
20-05-2024, 10:13 AM
The three certainties as a Bulldog supporter during 2023/2024 seasons are:

1) Luke Beveridge coaching tenure
2) Tim English salary discussion
3) Poor goal kicking conversion

What I would give for one week of freedom of the above three topics!! They are like clockwork and on rotation.

azabob
20-05-2024, 10:14 AM
Bloody Aza has stolen GVGjr thread :D

On a more serious soapbox, I still can't see the point of the Stand rule, plus many 50 metre penalties given for not standing properly - it is a joke of a rule

The one I don't understand is why do we still give warnings for the 6/6/6 rule out of position. Like the ruck nominations. Both are utterly useless.

GVGjr
20-05-2024, 10:15 AM
Thanks Aza, I was just about to do it.

Mine is that I need to start considering steeping back a bit from looking at X.
Even after solid wins at both the VFL and our senior side there is still a lot of unhappy Doggies supporters about where our players are played on match day.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 10:16 AM
Thanks Aza, I was just about to do it.

Mine is that I need to start considering steeping back a bit from looking at X.
Even after solid wins at both the VFL and our senior side there is still a lot of unhappy Doggies supporters about where our players are played on match day.

Many experts out there who know better than the coaching group. Agree, it is annoying.

Sedat
20-05-2024, 11:56 AM
Low key, I love Jordan Lewis as a special comments man. He has a serious footy intellect and articulates exactly what is happening out on the ground clearly and with a minimum of fuss

Axe Man
20-05-2024, 12:04 PM
Players running too far. Yes Rankine ran too far but players playing on from the defensive goal square after a point is kicked regularly run to 35-40 metres out from goal, players can get the ball at the 50 and kick a goal from 25 out yet these are never called. Lets get some consistency around it.

bornadog
20-05-2024, 12:10 PM
Players running too far. Yes Rankine ran too far but players playing on from the defensive goal square after a point is kicked regularly run to 35-40 metres out from goal, players can get the ball at the 50 and kick a goal from 25 out yet these are never called. Lets get some consistency around it.

I counted his steps and he ran 11 steps - hardly too far. Agree on how far players run after a behind. Another stupid rule - bring back the kick out from the goal square

Axe Man
20-05-2024, 12:16 PM
I counted his steps and he ran 11 steps - hardly too far. Agree on how far players run after a behind. Another stupid rule - bring back the kick out from the goal square

They measured it, it was over 20 metres. He was going flat out so a long stride length.

Grantysghost
20-05-2024, 12:25 PM
24.5 metres so nearly 10 over.

angelopetraglia
20-05-2024, 12:31 PM
A week is a long time in football. A very, very long time.

KING AND WHATELEY?S TOP FOUR SEEDS AFTER ROUND 10, 2024

David King and Gerard Whateley have named their top four seeds following Round 10 of the 2024 AFL season.

King and Whateley will each rank four teams they have the most confidence in going forward on a weekly basis throughout the year.

The seedings will be updated as the season goes on via SEN?s Whateley.

See their seedings below:

KING

1. Sydney

?Everyone's got Sydney one, haven't they?

?I?d like my seedings to be Sydney one, daylight second, Collingwood third and the Bulldogs fourth.?

2. Collingwood

?Two is Collingwood.?

3. Western Bulldogs

?I've got the Dogs at three.?

4. Essendon

?As much as I don't want to do this, it really it hurts me to do this?

?I?ve got Essendon at four. I tried to fight it. I tried to talk myself into finding a way to hang on to Carlton or GWS or someone just in case.

?But Essendon is four for me and even though they didn't really beat much yesterday. We're not going to learn anything this week, but we hold.?

WHATELEY

1. Sydney

?Sydney by a space.

?You could have had one Sydney and two a space, just to represent the gap.?

2. Collingwood

3. Essendon

?I've got Essendon at three.

?They moved to four last week and they have to slide up because everyone else has dropped out.?

4. Western Bulldogs

?I have got a carrot at four.

?It?s the Bulldogs at four to just go see what happens on Thursday night against the one seed, just in case (they win).?

bornadog
20-05-2024, 12:36 PM
24.5 metres so nearly 10 over.

I don't believe Foxfooty :D

Grantysghost
20-05-2024, 12:45 PM
I don't believe Foxfooty :D

Lolz.

Laws of physics?

Stride length is 1.35 * height or something.

Rankine is 1.79 metres

1.35 x 1.79 = 2.41

GVGjr
20-05-2024, 01:01 PM
They measured it, it was over 20 metres. He was going flat out so a long stride length.
Yes apparently it was 21m. It's the timing of when it happened that makes it stand out more. I'm okay with a better enforcement of the 15mtr rule.

azabob
20-05-2024, 01:21 PM
Low key, I love Jordan Lewis as a special comments man. He has a serious footy intellect and articulates exactly what is happening out on the ground clearly and with a minimum of fuss

He has a regular spot with Daniel Harford on racing 927am each Monday morning and is worth listening to on catch up

soupman
20-05-2024, 04:12 PM

Agree. Rankine was technically correct but they never interpret it that way so I think it was wrong in practice.

Why don't we just change the rule to 15 steps if that's the only way we choose to interpret it?

soupman
20-05-2024, 04:16 PM
The one I don't understand is why do we still give warnings for the 6/6/6 rule out of position. Like the ruck nominations. Both are utterly useless.

I think this is the rule working as intended.

The AFL wants 666 to happen but how do you make everyone obey it?

The answer is to give a free only if they do it twice. Result is you strong arm everyone into following the 666 thing without actually doing anything.

I get the warning looks dumb but I'd much prefer that than 1-2 frees given per game because someone was too slow to get into the goalsquare.

Bullies
20-05-2024, 04:43 PM
They measured it, it was over 20 metres. He was going flat out so a long stride length. They should be paying too far after every kick out if they are serious. The goal square is 10 metres and when players play on from kick outs they are more closer to the 50 meter line when they kick the ball meaning they have run far more than 15 metres.

Happy Days
20-05-2024, 09:53 PM
They should never call it. Personally I like sick and cool stuff in my football.