PDA

View Full Version : Garcia v Gallagher

Mantis
21-05-2024, 10:52 AM
I'm a Garcia fan, so let me get that out of the way first.

I have been extremely surprised by the ''favoritism'' shown to Gallagher over Garica in terms of opportunities to spend time in the midfield which was evident in our past game when Gallagher had more than a 50% attendance rate in the centre, and Garcia had zero.

I know Garcia had a slow pre-season as he recovered from injury, but he started the season in outstanding fashion when playing as a midfielder at VFL level and bashed the door down to get selected.

Since then, he has almost solely been played as a small forward which isn't his favored position and whilst he's been serviceable, I feel he is only just hanging onto a spot in the senior team. I feel if Garcia doesn't secure a spot in the midfield, or at least gain the opportunity to be a part of the rotation that he will be looking at opportunities elsewhere which I feel will be a loss, especially given we have an aging midfield and a lack of players with burst pace.

What am I missing?

Scraggers
21-05-2024, 11:28 AM
I agree Mantis.
I love Garcia's hardness. He is a tough nut who can play in-and-under. He seems the heir-apparent to Libba. So with Libba out of the team due to concussion, why is he not playing that role?

bulldogtragic
21-05-2024, 11:31 AM
I’m confused by it, I thought with his VFL form he’d be taking most of Libba’s minutes. I can only guess he’s been pigeonholed away from what looks to be his best role.

GVGjr
21-05-2024, 12:30 PM
Garcia nursed his way through the preseason where Gallagher hardly missed a beat and I think that is why Gags was ahead of him at the start of the season.
Garcia is clearly as head of him now but I do like how Gallagher is progressing.

EasternWest
21-05-2024, 12:30 PM
I'm a Garcia fan, so let me get that out of the way first.

I have been extremely surprised by the ''favoritism'' shown to Gallagher over Garica in terms of opportunities to spend time in the midfield which was evident in our past game when Gallagher had more than a 50% attendance rate in the centre, and Garcia had zero.

I know Garcia had a slow pre-season as he recovered from injury, but he started the season in outstanding fashion when playing as a midfielder at VFL level and bashed the door down to get selected.

Since then, he has almost solely been played as a small forward which isn't his favored position and whilst he's been serviceable, I feel he is only just hanging onto a spot in the senior team. I feel if Garcia doesn't secure a spot in the midfield, or at least gain the opportunity to be a part of the rotation that he will be looking at opportunities elsewhere which I feel will be a loss, especially given we have an aging midfield and a lack of players with burst pace.

What am I missing?

I like them both but Garcia is way better. Get him in there.

bornadog
21-05-2024, 01:10 PM
I like Gallagher he has impressed so far but I would also like to see Garcia given some midfield time. Garcia has a better record in contested possessions and is a tough little player who can really get in and under. I don't think Garcia is really a small forward whereas Gallagher is more a winger/HFF.

Ozza
21-05-2024, 01:15 PM
Agree and can't understand it overly.

Think Garcia can be really impactful. Hits the contest really low and hard and has good pace. Would love for him to get more opportunities around the ball.

my plums
21-05-2024, 02:02 PM
The more the merrier for CBAs in my book.

Pedro Sanchez
21-05-2024, 03:33 PM

Think Garcia can be really impactful. Hits the contest really low and hard and has good pace. Would love for him to get more opportunities around the ball.

He's also exceptionally clever in packs and congested areas of play. He's more than just a hard nut, similar to west, he knows how to invite the contact but then duck and weave to get away. I also think he has really improved his kicking skills to - really like him as a player.

SonofScray
21-05-2024, 03:33 PM
Good thing to have to be having these types of discussions.

Garcia is made of the right stuff, I fully expect him to establish himself as an AFL footballer and he seems the best option to slide into Libba's midfield spot. Timing and injury rehab etc might be the barrier to that having not occurred recently?

Gags came from nowhere in my eyes, by comparison. Had lower expectations and by design he's probably caught my eye more. Quiet couple of weeks and thought/think he might benefit from rolling back to the VFL for a spell, however I wouldn't be surprised if stride for stride, he ends up playing more footy, at a higher standard than Garcia. Maybe more versatile.

Haven't seen enough of either in recent weeks to really stand on my observations yet. Haven't been to the footy in person for weeks. Reliant on TV and what I hear here.

Mofra
21-05-2024, 05:03 PM
I agree with the sentiment within the OP - Garcia should be getting at least a couple of CBAs per game. He just has good little moments with smart decisions in traffic. The kid can play. Gags is a better outside player and could be a long term wing option after hitting the 20-30 games mark.

hujsh
21-05-2024, 05:16 PM
It's weird because I'd expect Garcia to be the better stoppage player at this stage (and Gallager only getting 12 touches last match is maybe an indication that is true) and Gallager seems more suited to the outside game at this stage while he puts on size/builds match fitness.

Hotdog60
21-05-2024, 06:14 PM
It's weird because I'd expect Garcia to be the better stoppage player at this stage (and Gallager only getting 12 touches last match is maybe an indication that is true) and Gallager seems more suited to the outside game at this stage while he puts on size/builds match fitness.

Gags was doing a negating role on Tom Green. I like Garcia and would have expected him to take some of Libba's minutes.

mighty_west
21-05-2024, 09:06 PM
Garcia was bashing the door down with a sledgehammer early on in the VFL, really wanting him in earlier than when he was finally selected, his style in the middle is exactly what the side needs, and he absolutely should be given more mid time imo.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2024, 09:18 PM
I like Garcia to the middle more.

I think he’s great forward of centre too. He doesn’t get much but all of his touches and kicking to advantage are high quality.

Gags is coming along well. He executed a terrific handball into the space of a running player last weekend - this is what I expect we’ll continue to see more of as he grows in confidence.

jeemak
21-05-2024, 09:21 PM
Not the be all and end all, though the stats show Garcia is more than matching output.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=6786&fid1=S&fid2=S

The only thing I can think of is the MC feeling Gallagher is a better forward runner with the football, and wanting to develop an inside outside midfielder to compliment other midfielder characteristics.

It might also be that Garcia is actually performing his role really well and the coaches are happy with his output as a high forward. It's not an easy role to play.

kruder
21-05-2024, 11:08 PM
Big fan of both but I reckon Garcia has more composure than Gags at this stage would love to see him get a crack inside agree.

macca
21-05-2024, 11:59 PM

This is how our fringe players are positioned in AFL.

Played out of position in AFL than VFL.

You wonder how they get to hone their craft ?

Mantis
22-05-2024, 08:25 AM
Not the be all and end all, though the stats show Garcia is more than matching output.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7084&pid2=6786&fid1=S&fid2=S

The only thing I can think of is the MC feeling Gallagher is a better forward runner with the football, and wanting to develop an inside outside midfielder to compliment other midfielder characteristics.

It might also be that Garcia is actually performing his role really well and the coaches are happy with his output as a high forward. It's not an easy role to play.

Which I guess is the point of the thread.

Gallagher is being played in positions where he is able to have a bigger impact and still Garcia is shading him.

Understand Garcia is playing the role he is quite well, but feel he's being under-utilized which might be to our detriment.

Bulldog Joe
22-05-2024, 08:32 AM
Which I guess is the point of the thread.

Gallagher is being played in positions where he is able to have a bigger impact and still Garcia is shading him.

Understand Garcia is playing the role he is quite well, but feel he's being under-utilized which might be to our detriment.

The team dynamic worked well against GWS with both playing their role.

I really liked using Gallagher to curb Tom Green. We haven't done enough of that.

azabob
22-05-2024, 10:51 AM
Is it coming down to simply athletic profile? To my poorly trained eye Gallagher looks more of an athlete and covers the ground better.

Is Gallagher playing the Bailey Smith role? High half forward, winger role with stints in the middle.

bornadog
22-05-2024, 10:56 AM
Is it coming down to simply athletic profile? To my poorly trained eye Gallagher looks more of an athlete and covers the ground better.

Is Gallagher playing the Bailey Smith role? High half forward, winger role with stints in the middle.

Looks like he is playing the Smith role, although Smith needs more time in the middle.

Will Gallagher go to Heeney Tomorrow?

Scorlibo
22-05-2024, 11:15 AM
Looks like he is playing the Smith role, although Smith needs more time in the middle.

If he's going to play a negating role I'd suggest Warner would be a better matchup for him. Heeney's strength might be too much, and can impact the game forward to break a tag similar to Bont.

To the OP, 100% Garcia should be given more midfield time, and Gallagher is lucky to be given an opportunity in the senior team let alone at centre bounces. Can only think that the coaches rate Gags' two way running, something that is difficult for all of us to assess without the GPS data and behind the play cameras that the coaches access in review.

jeemak
22-05-2024, 11:27 AM
If he's going to play a negating role I'd suggest Warner would be a better matchup for him. Heeney's strength might be too much, and can impact the game forward to break a tag similar to Bont.

To the OP, 100% Garcia should be given more midfield time, and Gallagher is lucky to be given an opportunity in the senior team let alone at centre bounces. Can only think that the coaches rate Gags' two way running, something that is difficult for all of us to assess without the GPS data and behind the play cameras that the coaches access in review.

That's a huge difference in how we watch the games on TV or at the ground in most cases, versus how the coaching teams review them.

Some coaches feel it's pointless reviewing the game without the end to end view.

Axe Man
22-05-2024, 11:49 AM

Bevo mentioned Bont and Richards having the size and aerial ability to negate Heeney when he drifts forward.

bornadog
22-05-2024, 11:53 AM

fair enough

Bevo mentioned Bont and Richards having the size and aerial ability to negate Heeney when he drifts forward.

Hopefully we can stop him

Bulldog Revolution
22-05-2024, 03:10 PM
Interesting thoughts Mantis

It seems to me that the reason Garcia has looked so good in the games is because of all his midfield experience at the state level - he's a good decision maker, and more than almost anyone reads the ball off hands, and naturally gets to the fall of the ball

Id like to see him get some more rotations and chances.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-05-2024, 08:05 PM
Would love to see Garcia be given a licence to play on (and off) Gulden.

Agree with the OP. Also a big fan of Garcia and I've been impressed with his maturity this season with ball in hand. Much more composed, willing to draw an opposition player to create overlap, able to hold onto the ball a split second longer to make the better decision etc.

I'd hate to lose him.

kickit2Koly
22-05-2024, 11:58 PM
My guess would be that old flexiblity mantra is why they seem to favour Gags. He has the ability to play wing and mid to a decent level, Where Garcia is more a pure Mid playing out of position.

FrediKanoute
23-05-2024, 12:32 AM

Gag's kicking has better penetration. Garcia's tend to be up and under loopers.

Glove38
23-05-2024, 02:27 PM
Great discussion. Gags had a strong start to the season and was hitting the scoreboard early. So I'm thinking match committee have given him some credits. We know once a player is in the good books they are backed in irrespective of whether "we" think there's a better option. The defensive role Gags played last week adds a few additional strings to the team that Sonny hasn't demonstrated. Is it as simple as that?

EasternWest
23-05-2024, 04:17 PM
Great discussion. Gags had a strong start to the season and was hitting the scoreboard early. So I'm thinking match committee have given him some credits. We know once a player is in the good books they are backed in irrespective of whether "we" think there's a better option. The defensive role Gags played last week adds a few additional strings to the team that Sonny hasn't demonstrated. Is it as simple as that?

Welcome back Glove.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2024, 10:46 PM
Gags having a mare.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2024, 11:25 PM
Gags having a mare.

Then put in a solid last quarter with the most inexperienced CBA group in ages.

jazzadogs
23-05-2024, 11:34 PM
por qu? no los dos

I was nervous about them being in the CBAs in the final quarter but our idiot (hehe) coach nearly got lucky again.

westdog54
24-05-2024, 12:44 AM
Then put in a solid last quarter with the most inexperienced CBA group in ages.

Necessity is the mother of invention. With Treloar having a rest and Bont's height and marking power needed forward, the kids had a bloody decent crack in that last quarter.

angelopetraglia
24-05-2024, 01:22 AM
Necessity is the mother of invention. With Treloar having a rest and Bont's height and marking power needed forward, the kids had a bloody decent crack in that last quarter.

It was great to see. The future looks bright.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2024, 09:23 AM

Goes to show we should be rotating CBAs a bit more.

MrMahatma
24-05-2024, 11:58 AM
Bit of Dahl about how Garcia disposes of it. He's nice and agile. I like em both.

Axe Man
24-05-2024, 01:12 PM
Sam Power get Garcia signed up yesterday!

GVGjr
24-05-2024, 03:26 PM
Sam Power get Garcia signed up yesterday!

I'm hoping it will be a fairly straight forward signing. He's shown enough.
If he can get more continuity with his footy he's going to be a very handy player for us.

Testekill
24-05-2024, 03:34 PM
I'm hoping it will be a fairly straight forward signing. He's shown enough.
If he can get more continuity with his footy he's going to be a very handy player for us.

I'm sure that the Eagles are circling him and Busslinger.

Rocket Science
24-05-2024, 03:51 PM
Had a gnawing feeling we were wasting our time with Garcia.

Jeez what a moron.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2024, 03:56 PM
Had a gnawing feeling we were wasting our time with Garcia.

Jeez what a moron.

I've always liked Garcia. Loved his intensity and pace and was always keen to have him as backup.

But have to admit he's exceeding expectations.

Mofra
24-05-2024, 04:47 PM
I've always liked Garcia. Loved his intensity and pace and was always keen to have him as backup.

He's a tough bastard too. Not in a cheap shot way, but genuinely footy tough

Always goes when he has to and seems to like contested situations. I'm a big fan.

bornadog
24-05-2024, 05:26 PM

He is a tough little bugger. Not much of him. I stood next to him at a VFL match last year he was in the crowd with mates, and not much of him.

Edit. Just saw Mofra say the same thing.

Rocket Science
24-05-2024, 05:36 PM

Yeah, his endeavour's his most appealing trait, never an unwelcome ingredient with this bunch, but he'd always struck me as pretty rustic with ball in hand and a bit scattergun around the contest but I've undersold him, he's executing well at the level, seems to relish the pressure and added a nice dose of dare and ferocity to our on-ball mix.

It's been said before, we lost a certain edge when the blokes like Clay Smith hung them up.

Perhaps we're slowly reacquiring a new one.

Happy Days
24-05-2024, 06:49 PM
I was in on Garcia heading into 2023 but then he played maybe the full on worst game of all time against Brisbane and I gave up.

Last night was a tremendous effort. He’s got a turn of pace away from stoppage that usually lets you do good stuff (the Swans have one of these guys and he kicked 4 last night). I think it’s time with him.

Uninformed
24-05-2024, 07:45 PM
Yeah, his endeavour's his most appealing trait, never an unwelcome ingredient with this bunch, but he'd always struck me as pretty rustic with ball in hand and a bit scattergun around the contest but I've undersold him, he's executing well at the level, seems to relish the pressure and added a nice dose of dare and ferocity to our on-ball mix.

It's been said before, we lost a certain edge when the blokes like Clay Smith hung them up.

Perhaps we're slowly reacquiring a new one.

I love his evasive ability too. Some real agility to go with his pace, sure ball handling and hardness. Looking really good.

Rocket Science
24-05-2024, 08:20 PM
Bigger picture, it's fascinating; we've been stubbornly sweating on the 'the best midfield in the comp' to drag us back to the promised land since 2016 while watching it plateau, shed personnel, fail crucial tests and in many ways become our very predictable achilles heel.

Cue a few change ups of both the forced + unforced variety and it suddenly feels like a sense of possibility's been unlocked.

And you wonder if a perennially banged-up Bont is the most relieved of all about this.

Dazza
24-05-2024, 09:14 PM
Hopefully he and West see more midfield time

Go_Dogs
25-05-2024, 08:22 AM
I was in on Garcia heading into 2023 but then he played maybe the full on worst game of all time against Brisbane and I gave up.

Last night was a tremendous effort. He’s got a turn of pace away from stoppage that usually lets you do good stuff (the Swans have one of these guys and he kicked 4 last night). I think it’s time with him.

Fast feet. It’s Cooney like how he takes a bunch of little steps really quickly to get the power through the legs to keep himself upright and evade opponents.

His field kicking and vision / decision making on the entry kick is sublime too.

Big future if he can get continuity as G said.

Mantis
27-05-2024, 09:24 AM
Fast feet. It?s Cooney like how he takes a bunch of little steps really quickly to get the power through the legs to keep himself upright and evade opponents.

His field kicking and vision / decision making on the entry kick is sublime too.

Big future if he can get continuity as G said.

Garcia's ability to drive his legs in congestion and burst away is a trait that separates the best players in the comp.

As per my frustrations in creating this thread I thought he was being underutilized by playing solely as a small forward as we seriously need some speed in the middle... probably out of necessity he was played on-ball in the last qtr and he showed his worth in that part of the ground.

More of that please and thank-you.... and for ****s sake, get him re-signed yesterday!

bulldogtragic
27-05-2024, 09:33 AM
Even state media ran with it this morning:

5) Injuries have highlighted the Dogs' depth

Against Sydney on Thursday, despite being down to just two available players on the bench by the final quarter, the Western Bulldogs found a dangerous gear late. Already without powerhouse Tom Liberatore as he battles ongoing concussion concerns, the Dogs lost emerging midfield weapon Ed Richards early in the third term after a head clash and, with Aaron Naughton also injured, opted to shift Marcus Bontempelli into attack. With a dearth of first-choice midfielders available to support Adam Treloar at the contest, coach Luke Beveridge relied on young trio Ryley Sanders, Rhylee West and Riley Garcia to offer a spark, and it was to great effect. With that new mix around the ball, the Bulldogs dominated territory and seriously challenged Sydney's defence to almost snatch a surprise victory. While the return of Liberatore and Richards, when available, will be warmly welcomed, Dogs fans have been given a glance at the depth the side boasts for the long term. – Gemma Bastiani

Mantis
14-06-2024, 03:29 PM
Bump.

In the past 3 games these 2 have averaged:

Player A -21 disposals + 1 goal per game
Player B - 18 disposals + 0.3 goals per game

One gets a shiny new 2yr contract and the other gets rissoled back to Footscray.

Go_Dogs
14-06-2024, 05:57 PM
Bump.

In the past 3 games these 2 have averaged:

Player A -21 disposals + 1 goal per game
Player B - 18 disposals + 0.3 goals per game

One gets a shiny new 2yr contract and the other gets rissoled back to Footscray.

They’re largely being asked to play different roles and one had a slightly down week last week.

I’m disappointed Garcia was dropped as we should absolutely be continuing to invest in him (and getting him into midfield rotations) but I’m not losing sleep over the comparison this week.

jDogs
15-06-2024, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Bevo telling me exactly how Gallagher has brought more of the things that he outlined in his presser vs what Garcia has brought. Specifically "the quality of possession" and "the aspects of team defense". Because it appears to me that the vast majority of possessions Gallagher has had in the last 8 weeks have not been quality, and his blatant turnovers directly affect the entire team defense. Gallagher must be off their charts for what he is doing "when he is not involved in the game".

Happy Days
15-06-2024, 05:10 PM
So the toys back in the cot here or

EasternWest
15-06-2024, 05:11 PM

And Bramble has played well. Tough day for the haters.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2024, 05:24 PM
And Bramble has played well. Tough day for the haters.

Especially the Rhylee West ones.

Scorlibo
15-06-2024, 06:35 PM
One Jackie Chan goal doth not maketh a good game. Gags still under my microscope after today's game.

Uninformed
15-06-2024, 06:47 PM
Even though Gags stats. are underwhelming (as are those of VDM), for the team to win as they did, you would think that everyone must have been doing their job?

ledge
15-06-2024, 07:01 PM
I’m prone to Garcia at the moment but Gaggs must have something we don’t see yet.
He was captain of an under 18s squad wasn’t he?
Maybe that’s the difference he has a better football brain ?
I’m not knocking him as he is a hard player and doesn’t flinch.

jeemak
15-06-2024, 08:32 PM
Especially the Rhylee West ones.

Who are the Ryhlee West haters?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2024, 08:39 PM

I don’t narc. Ask Aza.

EasternWest
15-06-2024, 08:52 PM
I don’t narc. Ask Aza.

You mean jeenak right?

Grantysghost
15-06-2024, 09:15 PM
No one hates Rlheye shirley.

Mantis
17-06-2024, 10:54 AM

Still in the ''or'' stage.

I haven't yet watched the game in full, and whilst I have no idea what Gallagher's role his stat line reads poorly.