View Full Version : WOOF welcomes Kelsey Rypstra to the Kennel

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the Kennel Kelsey Rypstra

Small forward and midfielder. Quite exciting

bulldogtragic
29-05-2024, 08:19 PM
Giddy up.

State media said he’s one of the best runners in the country. Playing SANFL as he did his knee a year ago. Hitting the scoreboard as a small forward this year.

azabob
29-05-2024, 08:21 PM
Kelsey Rypstra (North Adelaide)

A clever small forward who measures 173cm, Rypstra was overlooked in his draft year of 2022 but is in the mix to earn an opportunity in this year. The 20-year-old has been playing senior SANFL football with North Adelaide this season and has shown some good signs, averaging 10.6 disposals, 3.2 marks, five score involvements, 3.4 tackles and 0.6 goals from five games.

Happy Days
29-05-2024, 08:21 PM
A guy you’ve never heard of with a weird name. Should be illegal to pick up any other sort of player in this draft.

whythelongface
29-05-2024, 08:25 PM
A guy you’ve never heard of with a weird name. Should be illegal to pick up any other sort of player in this draft.

Like Vandermeer a Dutch surname. Welcome Kelsey

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 08:26 PM
I hinted a couple of times on X that we might pick someone from SA.
He fits a need and has some Nick Watson type attributes up forward.

Hotdog60
29-05-2024, 08:27 PM
0.6 goals from 5 games he'll fit right in. :)

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 08:28 PM

Johnno will fix that.

Uninformed
29-05-2024, 08:29 PM

An O'Driscol substitute?

Dazza
29-05-2024, 08:31 PM
Type of player we need. Hopefully he's quick

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 08:33 PM
An O'Driscol substitute?

It's probably a better summary.

jeemak
29-05-2024, 08:38 PM

I can't believe you narrowed it down to one of three football states that have solid semi-professional competitions. :)

Hotdog60
29-05-2024, 08:39 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1566509/bulldogs-select-kelsey-rypstra-in-2024-mid-season-draft
Highlights scroll down the page

azabob
29-05-2024, 08:39 PM
I can't believe you narrowed it down to one of three football states that have solid semi-professional competitions. :)

It was on X so that is counted as getting it right.

kruder
29-05-2024, 08:43 PM
No idea about the kid but a young untapped player with attributes we require is exactly where we should be at the mid season draft.

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 08:44 PM

While everyone was saying Bianco ;)

bulldogtragic
29-05-2024, 08:44 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1566509/bulldogs-select-kelsey-rypstra-in-2024-mid-season-draft

Nice highlights. Nice finish, quite quick, good tackler, nice kicks i50 with good vision. Looks like something to work with.

Fun fact: the clubs first ever MSD pick not from Footscray VFL.

whythelongface
29-05-2024, 08:50 PM
Interesting that all the talk was Bianco. This was a left field selection but a much better option given our young midfield potential and this selection addressing a need. Nice choice.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-05-2024, 08:53 PM
Appears to bring traits we need as a small forward - quick, defensive pressure, natural ability to get to the front of packs.

Hope he goes well!

azabob
29-05-2024, 08:55 PM
Welcome Kelsey!!

Gut feel is we had him just behind O’Driscol on our draft board last year.

SquirrelGrip
29-05-2024, 08:56 PM
Like Vandermeer a Dutch surname. Welcome Kelsey

Need some Dutch flags in the cheer squad.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2024, 08:57 PM
Welcome Kelsey!!

Gut feel is we had him just behind O’Driscol on our draft board last year.

You’re fast getting your wish to evaluate Milesi. We are finally giving him the ability to draft kids from outside the ND first round.

azabob
29-05-2024, 09:01 PM
You’re fast getting your wish to evaluate Milesi. We are finally giving him the ability to kids from outside the first round.

It is great isn’t it? Also not taking the safe bet of a known Footscray vfl player.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2024, 09:12 PM
It is great isn’t it? Also not taking the safe bet of a known Footscray vfl player.

I love it. Even if the kid doesn’t make the grade, Milesi is repaying the faith/earning his keep and this is exactly the type of selection I wanted. To address a need and bring in young talent to add to a refresh/rebuild. Nothing against Bianco, I just didn’t see what he’d add to us this year or assist in following years. So I’m happy we are leaning into more kids then more Bakers & Poulters.

JanLorMill
29-05-2024, 09:20 PM
1446Anyone got no76?

Testekill
29-05-2024, 09:21 PM
Interesting that all the talk was Bianco. This was a left field selection but a much better option given our young midfield potential and this selection addressing a need. Nice choice.

I actually found it even more interesting that Twomey said that we were interested in Craig-Peters. He has good mail usually so I wonder where that came form.

azabob
29-05-2024, 09:24 PM
How cool. Kelsey was at footy training when he was selected!

He was told in front of his teammates. Clearly a well loved teammate..

ledge
29-05-2024, 09:40 PM
1446Anyone got no76?

I have that album lol

ledge
29-05-2024, 09:41 PM
I like his sneaky cheeky in the highlights.
Watson is a good comparison.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-05-2024, 09:59 PM

I read that as he averages .6 goals a game over 5 games. I.e. he's kicked 3 goals in 5 games.

The Underdog
29-05-2024, 10:19 PM
Hope he continues in the number 52 jumper.

Grantysghost
29-05-2024, 10:20 PM
1446Anyone got no76?
Crikey - bit of sherbert on there?

lemmon
29-05-2024, 10:33 PM
Looks like we've targetted that need for a pressure, tackling forward.

Do we know how long his initial contract is?

Uninformed
29-05-2024, 10:41 PM

Looks like he has some wheels.

Warrnambulldog
29-05-2024, 10:43 PM
You have some inside mail GVGjr? I reckon you did

Dry Rot
29-05-2024, 11:09 PM
As others have posted, I really like this selection.

It is pretty much a no lose pick.

If nothing comes of it, fair enough, just another MSD pick that didn't work out.

On the other hand, he could really fill a big hole in our side as a zippy defensive forward ideally this season or alternatively into the future.

It does beg an interesting question about how the club sees Clarke and A Jones, doesn't it?

Eastdog
29-05-2024, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Kesley.

Hope he goes well. Nice to have got a small forward with defensive pressure traits. This is an area of need particularly with Weightman not playing at the moment.

bornadog
29-05-2024, 11:33 PM
Good to pick up a kid and not a used player.

Will be eager to see how he goes at VFL for starters.

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 11:53 PM

If nothing comes of it, fair enough, just another MSD pick that didn't work out.

On the other hand, he could really fill a big hole in our side as a zippy defensive forward ideally this season or alternatively into the future.

It does beg an interesting question about how the club sees Clarke and A Jones, doesn't it?

I think we do see Clarke as a small forward but it might open the door for Jones to be used in another position.
The players that might feel the impact of Rypstra arriving could be McNeil and Vandermeer.
McNeil is up against it from list management perspective and although Vandermeer has been a somewhat regular player this season in 3 or 4 weeks time Rypstra inclusion o the list might put some pressure on him.

GVGjr
29-05-2024, 11:55 PM
You have some inside mail GVGjr? I reckon you did

No, just saw his name linked and did some research. To me we either needed a smaller running defender or small forward more than someone like Bianco.

macca
30-05-2024, 12:55 AM
I like this selection, and welcome to the club.
I hope he impresses and gets a game this year!

bulldogtragic
30-05-2024, 10:12 AM
Just watched the phone call between Milesi & Ryp.

Paying attention to what Milesi was saying: a phone call last week, his form this year and the way he came back from his injury last year… clearly Dom has had close tabs on the kid for a long while now.

bulldogtragic
30-05-2024, 10:25 AM
State media write up:

8. Western Bulldogs - Kelsey Rypstra

North Adelaide SANFL
Small forward
173cm
2/5/04

The small forward is a busy player inside-50, who is constantly looking for ways to pepper the target. Rypstra has emerged at North Adelaide through his crumbing work and his inventive footy IQ, which consistently sees him setting up teammates close to goal. He's only kicked three majors from his first five games in the SANFL season, but has shown the traits of improving on his production in the future. He can also work hard up the ground, where he's proven himself a good overhead mark for his size and has impressed clubs with his speed and aerobic capacity in transition.

SquirrelGrip
30-05-2024, 11:06 AM
So last month I ventured to Adelaide for LIV Golf and whilst I was there headed along to a SANFL game - which happened to be North Adelaide vs Adelaide. An easy win to the Roosters in front of their vocal home crowd.

Dan Curtin stood out playing across half back, then midfield and forward, a clear class above others on the ground. The next week he debuted for the AFL Crows.

For North Adelaide, Harrison Wigg was easily their best, a mature bodied player who just knew where and how to get the ball. Former Crows and Gold Coast who had horrendous luck with injury, including multiple broken ankles and an ACL. Was dominant at this level.

But I also noticed this little pest #52 who I'd never heard of Kelsey Rypstra. He buzzed around, gave lip to the opposition, kicked a goal, repeated i50 forward entries, and gave the Adelaide defenders a tough time to get it out of defence. I thought he was a bit on the small side, but he certainly stood out and the Crows couldn't defend him easily.

Admittedly it's not a big sample size, but he'll be a great addition for Footscray this year and if he continues to develop, offers something we don't have. He's different to Clarke and Weightman, but I suspect Lachie McNeil would be getting a bit nervous.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 11:13 AM
So last month I ventured to Adelaide for LIV Golf and whilst I was there headed along to a SANFL game - which happened to be North Adelaide vs Adelaide. An easy win to the Roosters in front of their vocal home crowd.

Dan Curtin stood out playing across half back, then midfield and forward, a clear class above others on the ground. The next week he debuted for the AFL Crows.

For North Adelaide, Harrison Wigg was easily their best, a mature bodied player who just knew where and how to get the ball. Former Crows and Gold Coast who had horrendous luck with injury, including multiple broken ankles and an ACL. Was dominant at this level.

But I also noticed this little pest #52 who I'd never heard of Kelsey Rypstra. He buzzed around, gave lip to the opposition, kicked a goal, repeated i50 forward entries, and gave the Adelaide defenders a tough time to get it out of defence. I thought he was a bit on the small side, but he certainly stood out and the Crows couldn't defend him easily.

Admittedly it's not a big sample size, but he'll be a great addition for Footscray this year and if he continues to develop, offers something we don't have. He's different to Clarke and Weightman, but I suspect Lachie McNeil would be getting a bit nervous.
Clarke should be very nervous.If he doesn't play the small forward role he doesnt play. Great insight thanks!

PR0408
30-05-2024, 11:54 AM

Clarke is 20 with one preseason under his belt. His VFL form very good. Not an ideal debut but still showed great attack on the contest. He will be fine.
Arty I think needs a change of position. I watched him one play one quarter at half back in vfl last year and he was brilliant at a time when his confidence level was shot.
He don?t find the ball much in fwd half. This position change would change that.

bornadog
30-05-2024, 12:22 PM
Clarke is 20 with one preseason under his belt. His VFL form very good. Not an ideal debut but still showed great attack on the contest. He will be fine.
Arty I think needs a change of position. I watched him one play one quarter at half back in vfl last year and he was brilliant at a time when his confidence level was shot.
He don?t find the ball much in fwd half. This position change would change that.

Couldn't agree more. Arty is the one I am worried about, not Clarke.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 12:54 PM
Arty isn't a small forward though, he's a winger/flanker. Clarke is directly challenged by Rypstra.

azabob
30-05-2024, 12:55 PM
Arty isn't a small forward though, he's a winger/flanker. Clarke is directly challenged by Rypstra.

Yarraville nets in their future?

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 12:57 PM
Yarraville nets in their future?

I'd pay to see that. Rd 1 - Yarraville Nets, Rd 2 - Hawthorn Kevin Bartlett Oval (for BAD) Rd 3 - Wheelers Hill Hotel car park.

mighty_west
30-05-2024, 02:03 PM
I have that album lol

I have a Ripsnorter, a Scorcher and a WHOPPER.......record :) but no Ripper. (showing my age)

mighty_west
30-05-2024, 02:22 PM
From all the talk of Bianco to Cal Twomey throwing a curve ball with his Craig-Peters tip then selecting Rysptra, cool name too, would have been ok with Bianco but i do like the Rypstra selection as it's pretty much a replacement selection for O'Driscoll and looking forward to seeing what he can do at Footscray.

Think he and Clarke could create a dangerous duo in the VFL whilst developing, also agree Arty needs a new position and the running off half back would be the obvious choice for mine.

hujsh
30-05-2024, 02:26 PM

Unless you were saying that when we took O'Driscoll I don't see how things change now.

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 04:33 PM
Unless you were saying that when we took O'Driscoll I don't see how things change now.
Think he was a winger

hujsh
30-05-2024, 04:37 PM
Think he was a winger

He played as a winger but the club said they see him as a forward

Grantysghost
30-05-2024, 04:43 PM
He played as a winger but the club said they see him as a forward
Ah, cool.

He certainly sounds like a Clarke competitor too then, for some reason i thought he was hff/winger type rather than small forward.

hujsh
30-05-2024, 04:53 PM
Ah, cool.

He certainly sounds like a Clarke competitor too then, for some reason i thought he was hff/winger type rather than small forward.

Well we never got to see him play so it's understandable you'd remember the position he actually played as a junior rather than one line from Milesi

kruder
30-05-2024, 06:46 PM
Just looking at some of his vids, I think he will need to improve his kicking looks pretty average to the eye.

ledge
30-05-2024, 11:49 PM
I have a Ripsnorter, a Scorcher and a WHOPPER.......record :) but no Ripper. (showing my age)

Show you my age my first single was the ying tong song by the goons.

Ozza
03-06-2024, 10:39 AM
This selection seems very Matt Fuller areas.

Quite perplexing.

Happy Days
03-06-2024, 11:18 AM
This selection seems very Matt Fuller areas.

Quite perplexing.

Fuller was in the real draft with a decent pick and was also 23 when we picked him. Don’t quite think a swing in the mid season draft is quite as egregious.

Ozza
03-06-2024, 11:25 AM
Fuller was in the real draft with a decent pick and was also 23 when we picked him. Don’t quite think a swing in the mid season draft is quite as egregious.

I guess the likeness was that it was someone not exactly setting the world on fire in the SANFL as a pick up.

Full disclosure, I know pretty much nothing about Rypstra, so I hope he is great, but he's putting up Arty Jones numbers in the SANFL right now, so it is certainly speculative.

I just find it hard to understand that Bianco wouldn't get picked up by us, or anyone else. Arguably the best performed player in the undefeated top side.....hopefully not another Lachie Sullivan scenario.

hujsh
03-06-2024, 11:29 AM
I guess the likeness was that it was someone not exactly setting the world on fire in the SANFL as a pick up.

Full disclosure, I know pretty much nothing about Rypstra, so I hope he is great, but he's putting up Arty Jones numbers in the SANFL right now, so it is certainly speculative.

I just find it hard to understand that Bianco wouldn't get picked up by us, or anyone else. Arguably the best performed player in the undefeated top side.....hopefully not another Lachie Sullivan scenario.

What exactly is a Lachie Sullivan Scenario?

Ozza
03-06-2024, 12:28 PM
What exactly is a Lachie Sullivan Scenario?

Just that he was B&F 2 years in a row for Footscray, and unfortunately ended up on the pies list rather than ours.

jazzadogs
03-06-2024, 01:44 PM
Just that he was B&F 2 years in a row for Footscray, and unfortunately ended up on the pies list rather than ours.

And has had minimal impact, only really getting games due to injuries. Only 15 touches on Friday night despite a good role with CBAs.

If we had picked Sullivan, he was only ever going to be depth. I'm glad we chose guys with potential to improve.

Bulldog Joe
03-06-2024, 03:57 PM

I don't see that as unfortunate.

He is just a stop gap for Collingwood. While we have had a few drafted by us and others from Footscray the best is probably Ben Long and Jordan Boyd.

We haven't really been burnt by anyone we bypassed.

bornadog
03-06-2024, 04:04 PM
I don't see that as unfortunate.

He is just a stop gap for Collingwood. While we have had a few drafted by us and others from Footscray the best is probably Ben Long and Jordan Boyd.

We haven't really been burnt by anyone we bypassed.

Pretty sure we were going to pick Ben, but Saints pounced before we could.

bornadog
03-06-2024, 08:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPIRlsQbUAAIc39?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
03-06-2024, 08:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPIRlsRaIAAw1cX?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
03-06-2024, 08:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPIRlsRbEAAQNB1?format=jpg&name=large

ledge
03-06-2024, 09:04 PM
What’s with the 22 has he back doored Harmes already ?

azabob
03-06-2024, 09:20 PM
What’s with the 22 has he back doored Harmes already ?

He is living with Harmes.

jeemak
03-06-2024, 10:09 PM
He is living with Harmes.

So you're saying he's back doored him?

I don't know if that's how it works.

GVGjr
04-06-2024, 12:47 AM
Pretty sure he will be wearing the #41 and I'm keen to see how he performs on the track on Wednesday.
For what it's worth he didn't get onto the track until after the main session had completed.

Hot_Doggies
04-06-2024, 06:51 AM
Pretty sure he will be wearing the #41 and I'm keen to see how he performs on the track on Wednesday.
For what it's worth he didn't get onto the track until after the main session had completed.

Bone idle

Smads57
04-06-2024, 04:27 PM
On the Bulldog website, an interview with him at WO showed him running around with a ball in hand and he looked 'well built' (both arms and legs), so we won't have to wait for any physical development as we may have had to with Aiden, before he'd be strong enough for AFL level. He just needs to bring some form.

SquirrelGrip
04-06-2024, 05:08 PM
On the Bulldog website, an interview with him at WO showed him running around with a ball in hand and he looked 'well built' (both arms and legs), so we won't have to wait for any physical development as we may have had to with Aiden, before he strong enough for AFL level. He just needs to bring some form.

He also mentioned in the video that he was a national finalist in 800m, so certainly sounds like we've got a runner to replace AOD.

Bulldog Joe
04-06-2024, 06:48 PM
He also mentioned in the video that he was a national finalist in 800m, so certainly sounds like we've got a runner to replace AOD.

800m is a great speed endurance event. That is the sort of athleticism that translates to the running side of footy.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-06-2024, 08:01 PM
1446Anyone got no76?

Bought that as a 13 year old. For the songs obviously.
Yep give him 76.

macca
04-06-2024, 11:21 PM
Him being a strong 800m runner is another tick. He looks well built and strong. Really looking forward to see him in action.

GVGjr
05-06-2024, 12:03 AM

It does appear to be that way and while the club had AOD listed as a forward I tended to think he was better suited to a wing.
Looking forward to seeing Rypstra on the track tomorrow.

ledge
05-06-2024, 10:38 AM
Anyone going to the VFL on Friday to have a look at him , I think I might pop down.

josie
05-06-2024, 01:50 PM
Anyone going to the VFL on Friday to have a look at him , I think I might pop down.

I plan to be there and I think all vfl matches live streamed on afl website.

GVGjr
05-06-2024, 02:07 PM
He was wearing the number 39 today in JJs absence

Axe Man
05-06-2024, 02:15 PM
He was wearing the number 39 today in JJs absence

I guess Sweet's old 41 jumpers would be a bit big for him.

GVGjr
05-06-2024, 05:22 PM
I guess Sweet's old 41 jumpers would be a bit big for him.

I'd say :) I saw one of the trainers carrying a few jumpers and kit etc there on Monday and assumed it was for Kelsey.
Perhaps it's currently in the wash :)

He looked good today and he nailed a few set shots albeit it with a a bit of a hop, skip and a jump in his routine

Hotdog60
05-06-2024, 06:38 PM
If this guy can put it together at AFL level it may work out to be a brilliant signing. He's everything we lack in the forward half.
A fast aggressive goal kicking forward flanker.

Scraggers
05-06-2024, 07:19 PM
If this guy can put it together at AFL level it may work out to be a brilliant signing. He's everything we lack in the forward half.
A fast aggressive goal kicking forward flanker.

Is he tall enough to play forward flank? (genuine question - he looks like a small forward pocket to me)

Hotdog60
05-06-2024, 07:33 PM
Is he tall enough to play forward flank? (genuine question - he looks like a small forward pocket to me)

That's kinda what I meant, but could get involved as far as the wing. He's going to be an interesting watch. :)

azabob
05-06-2024, 07:40 PM

In todays game what height does a HF need to be? In todays not sure height between a HF and FP is relevant.

GVGjr
05-06-2024, 07:55 PM

I don't think his height will limit him in playing a few positions especially in the forward line. His kicking skills look pretty sound and he might be quite good at delivering the footy to leading forwards. It's all early days in assessing him but I look forward to having a closer view of him in action on Friday.

azabob
07-06-2024, 02:03 PM
You little ripper! New Dog defies the odds after horror SANFL injury

Kelsey Rypstra was told he may never play footy again after a serious leg injury. Now he's got his AFL shot

HE WAS told he would never play again. But Kelsey Rypstra chose not to listen.

Despite rupturing three ligaments in his knee ? the anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament ? plus fracturing his leg and suffering nerve damage, this wasn't going to be the end.

The injury was so graphic, so horrific, that the SANFL under-18 game between North Adelaide and Glenelg was called off. It took an ambulance more than 90 minutes to get to Prospect Oval. By that point, the small forward had inhaled two green whistles and was reaching for a third.

That was just under two years ago.

Last Wednesday night, the Western Bulldogs used their pick in the AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft to select the 172cm pressure forward at pick No.8, completing a stunning rise to the top that wasn't supposed to happen. At least, that's what the experts told him.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1145871/you-little-ripper-new-bulldog-defies-the-odds-after-horror-sanfl-injury

Sedat
07-06-2024, 03:17 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing.

Last time we pipped Essendon for one of their pre-draft targets was Tory Dickson, which worked out alright.

Mofra
07-06-2024, 03:25 PM
I don't think his height will limit him in playing a few positions especially in the forward line. His kicking skills look pretty sound and he might be quite good at delivering the footy to leading forwards. It's all early days in assessing him but I look forward to having a closer view of him in action on Friday.
He's 1cm shorter than Kosi Pickett.
If he can cover ground like we hope he will, he's a decent chance

GVGjr
07-06-2024, 04:45 PM
He's 1cm shorter than Kosi Pickett.
If he can cover ground like we hope he will, he's a decent chance

It's not a big deal if you have talent. It's not like he's got to take a lot of marks at the high point.