PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 12, 2024 vs Collingwood

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-05-2024, 11:59 AM
This is the Round 12, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this evening's game against Collngwood has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2024, 11:28 PM
B

McNeil kicked two.
Won a close game!
Bont & Adz

A

Umpiring a joke
Lobb was putrid
Not winning four in a row with last week

EasternWest
31-05-2024, 11:34 PM
B

Sanders lifting after a poor start.
Darcy keeping his head up after a mare start.
Bont.

A
HTBWTF

hujsh
31-05-2024, 11:52 PM
B

McNeil kicked two.
Won a close game!
Bont & Adz

A

Umpiring a joke
Lobb was putrid
Not winning four in a row with last week

I was so annoyed that Williams didn't get a free for holding the man but with way less contact ****ing Daicos did. Good to see Bont establish he's still better though.

westbulldog
01-06-2024, 12:16 AM
re : "Lobb was putrid" - kicked 1-2 (2 posters ?) and gave one to Darcy, not putrid imo

bulldogtragic
01-06-2024, 12:20 AM
re : "Lobb was putrid" - kicked 1-2 (2 posters ?) and gave one to Darcy, not putrid imo

We differ. He was putrid by my estimation. I’ve been a fan of his, but he’s lost me completely.

westbulldog
01-06-2024, 12:21 AM
Bankers
Other than the stars I thought Garcia, Gallagher, Freijah and O'Donnell did well.
Liam Jones
Jack Macrae

Anchors
Bramble - was he actually on the ground ?
Darcy's possible suspension.
Injuries

hujsh
01-06-2024, 12:23 AM

The little things he did were okay but he was horrible in the contest. His poster was also an easy set shot for him so disappointing night but with Darcy apparently predetermined to be suspended I guess he gets a reprieve.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2024, 12:40 AM
I was so annoyed that Williams didn't get a free for holding the man but with way less contact ****ing Daicos did. Good to see Bont establish he's still better though.

It's been a long time since I've been overly critical of the umpiring. I genuinely could not believe what I was seeing with those 2 Daicos decisions amd the different rules we were being umpired to.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2024, 12:42 AM
Question: If Daicos did what Darcy did would he have been given a free?

Another question: if Darcy had hit Daicos, would Darcy get 10 weeks?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2024, 12:45 AM
Bankers

1. Our resilience is pretty impressive. A lot of teams would've folded under the intense pressure we've been under media and fan wise this last few weeks.

Irrespective on where you stand on Bevo as coach he's really made some very strong moves this season in the face of furnace blast external pressure on him. Not the moves of a man just trying to save his skin.
He's all in.

Also some players who regularly incur our wrath, they keep fronting up.

For example, It's not like McNeil isn't aware he regularly fluff's his lines, and that if he continues missing his opportunities, he will soon be joing the ranks of schlubs like me for the next 40 years in an office somewhere.. He deserves a big pat on the back.

2. Bont permanently etched himself up another notch tonight on the all time greatness metre

3. Sanders.. he's got the rhythm of the level now. You could see it click for him almost in the second half. An ordinary start, and showed his IQ and state of mind to really get into the game. No doubt, all things being equal, he plays 250 plus games. I really hope it's with us

Anchors.

1. Rory, I'll save you a donut when you join me in office land... post career. You win the Alastair Ford spaghetti man award tonight. Tall and brittle arms and hands

2. There won't be a word said about the standard of umpiring in our game tonight, despite it being some of the most putrid crap turned up in some time.

3. Nice goal by West, but with Libba due to come back (assuming Ed comes in for Harmes) West might be the odd man out...I cannot see Garcia getting dropped.

jeemak
01-06-2024, 03:30 AM

I was too annoyed to rant about this in the game day thread, but it was so obvious how badly Williams was stitched versus how Daicos wasn't. If Daicos was paid in the back I could kind of get it, but to pay that as holding directly after another more obvious example just showed how much he is protected and how annoying it's going to be watching it over his career.

jeemak
01-06-2024, 03:32 AM
Question: If Daicos did what Darcy did would he have been given a free?

Another question: if Darcy had hit Daicos, would Darcy get 10 weeks?

A good example of how that might play out was with Cripps being cleared for something worse to make sure he won a Brownlow. To me Darcy probably should get a week, but the Cripps one was probably worth two to three due to similar intent but a higher level of damage - but he wasn't suspended.

JanLorMill
01-06-2024, 09:23 AM
Nice goal by West, but with Libba due to come back (assuming Ed comes in for Harmes) West might be the odd man out...I cannot see Garcia getting dropped.
No Vdm or Harmes, West stays. Why is it West vs Garcia anyway? Despite being ok I’ll drop McNeil before West too

merantau
01-06-2024, 09:26 AM
Bankers
1. JOD - he stepped up in a high pressure game.
2. Sanders - his second half was solid.
3. Garcia - good in and under, quick and he can extricate himself from a pack.

Anchors
1. Umpiring was below par.
2. Injuries
3. Missing set shots.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2024, 09:55 AM
No Vdm or Harmes, West stays. Why is it West vs Garcia anyway? Despite being ok I’ll drop McNeil before West too

Probably right. Just spitballing late at night, that's the vibe.

azabob
01-06-2024, 10:52 AM
3. Nice goal by West, but with Libba due to come back (assuming Ed comes in for Harmes) West might be the odd man out...I cannot see Garcia getting dropped.

Surely West is ahead of Caleb Daniel?

azabob
01-06-2024, 10:53 AM

It literally happened within two minutes of each other also. Absolute joke.

azabob
01-06-2024, 10:54 AM
Anyways f**k wasting our time and energy on complaining about the umpiring.

We won, l reckon we put all our energy in on focusing on that.

The bulldog tragician
01-06-2024, 10:59 AM
1. Bont. A last quarter for the ages. How lucky we are to see him play.
2. Darcy. He could have gone into his shell after a horror opening. There’s character to go with the freakish ability.
3. Jack Macrae. I thought the game had gone past him. He’s still got that steely inner belief and is quietly growing back into the form and contribution we know he can have.

Anchors:
1. The umpiring absolutely stank.
2. the Pies fans booing O’Donnell because they didn’t know the difference between him and Darcy
3. Whatever our initial plans to curb Daicos were, just didn’t work and could have cost us the game…that ease out of the centre was scary in first qtr.

azabob
01-06-2024, 11:02 AM
2. the Pies fans booing O’Donnell because they didn’t know the difference between him and Darcy

I found that quite funny. O'Donnell would be like "What did I do"?

hujsh
01-06-2024, 11:10 AM
A good example of how that might play out was with Cripps being cleared for something worse to make sure he won a Brownlow. To me Darcy probably should get a week, but the Cripps one was probably worth two to three due to similar intent but a higher level of damage - but he wasn't suspended.

So you're saying in the spirit of the romance of the game Darcy simply must be let off because he's a good chance at the Rising Star? I agree.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-06-2024, 11:13 AM
So you're saying in the spirit of the romance of the game Darcy simply must be let off because he's a good chance at the Rising Star? I agree.

It all depends on the script that generates the most $$$$. So the question is, does the AFEL want Reid in WA or not?

hujsh
01-06-2024, 11:23 AM
It all depends on the script that generates the most $$$$. So the question is, does the AFEL want Reid in WA or not?

Think of the clicks from the prospect of Daicos, Reid, Smith and De Goey in middle for one team

bornadog
01-06-2024, 12:37 PM
Bankers

1. The Bont - what an incredible game. Didn't come off at all in the last and had more than 10 disposals and a goal. He was determined we were going to win this.

2. Really liked the games of JOD, Gags, Garcia, West, McNeil, Sanders, Darcy - apologises if I forgot someone, but this young brigade is starting to contribute.

3. Bailey Dale, back in AA form with 35 disposals and ran at 80% efficiency - great game

Anchors

1. Three talls flying for the ball together - they need to sort it out

2. two injuries again - the toll keeps rising

3. Media carry on about Collingwood injuries when 7 of our best 22 were out. Yes Collingwood have 14 out but looking at that list only 6 or 7 are best 22.

Flamethrower
01-06-2024, 05:00 PM
Bankers
1. Him
2. The Rs Show - Sanders, Garcia & West
3. Adz - career best form

Anchors
1 The Media - judge, jury and executioner of young Darcy. Maynard ended Brayshaw's career and wasn't suspended. 50m penalty and maybe a fine at most - medium impact (no injury or concussion), body contact only - high impact and high contact my arse.
2. The Media - brave Collingwood with a million injuries JUST beaten by a full strength high flying team full of 1st ballot Hall of Famers. So brave.
3. Changing Rules mid season - obviously doesn't apply when Nick "Protected Species" Daicos is tackled.

Testekill
01-06-2024, 05:26 PM
I found that quite funny. O'Donnell would be like "What did I do"?

An evergreen clip

https://youtu.be/-QoGyzSXAJ8?si=3Eo0UHydfM0_C-73

jeemak
01-06-2024, 10:43 PM

No, not in Darcy's case. In answer to the question that was posed I feel only Nick Daicos could get away with it.

jeemak
01-06-2024, 10:47 PM
1. Bont. A last quarter for the ages. How lucky we are to see him play.
2. Darcy. He could have gone into his shell after a horror opening. There’s character to go with the freakish ability.
3. Jack Macrae. I thought the game had gone past him. He’s still got that steely inner belief and is quietly growing back into the form and contribution we know he can have.

Anchors:
1. The umpiring absolutely stank.
3. Whatever our initial plans to curb Daicos were, just didn’t work and could have cost us the game…that ease out of the centre was scary in first qtr.

The planning may have been sound, but the best laid plans of mice and men and all that........

I'm just glad we adjusted and in some ways balanced things out as the game transpired. Often the best efforts to quell someone like Daicos are devised on the fly in game, in response to how they're playing rather than prior to it.

jeemak
01-06-2024, 10:50 PM
3. Bailey Dale, back in AA form with 35 disposals and ran at 80% efficiency - great game

Pity Bevo ruined his career in the early rounds by making him the sub.

The commentary around Dale's output has been interesting over the past few years, especially given his statistics:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-western-bulldogs--bailey-dale

He was amazing in 2021 and almost just as effective in 2022 but we didn't perform as we'd have liked and Saad ended up being given an AA position when Dale had every right to be in the lineup. The past two years his numbers have been fairly even.

I think he's a player who looks better when players up the ground are moving for him and giving him riskier options to kick to. When that happens and it comes off we're more competitive and his impact is greater. The kick inboard to English in the third yesterday was a thing of beauty.

westbulldog
02-06-2024, 08:46 PM
We differ. He was putrid by my estimation. I?ve been a fan of his, but he?s lost me completely.

"putrid" is quite strong, so you must obviously not want him selected next week on the basis of that description / opinion,
others disagree e.g.

Re: The Moment: Rnd 12, 2024 vs Collingwood
We bag Lobb a lot but he was involved in 3 of our last 5 goals and the smother mentioned above , he was part of the reason we won in the end.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2024, 08:52 PM
"putrid" is quite strong, so you must obviously not want him selected next week on the basis of that description / opinion,
others disagree e.g.

Re: The Moment: Rnd 12, 2024 vs Collingwood
We bag Lobb a lot but he was involved in 3 of our last 5 goals and the smother mentioned above , he was part of the reason we won in the end.

That’s the beauty on an opinion/discussion forum.

As for playing next week, with injuries and suspensions he will play. I will hope he plays well. But I’m struggling to think of a break out type game he’s played for us.

angelopetraglia
02-06-2024, 09:06 PM
That’s the beauty on an opinion/discussion forum.

As for playing next week, with injuries and suspensions he will play. I will hope he plays well. But I’m struggling to think of a break out type game he’s played for us.

Last round of 2023 versus Geelong? He got a Browlow vote (his only vote playing for the Dogs). Kicked three goals. Made a difference in the ruck.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last round of 2023 versus Geelong? He got a Browlow vote (his only vote playing for the Dogs). Kicked three goals. Made a difference in the ruck.

I missed watching that game and couldn’t be bothered with the replay.

Ozza
03-06-2024, 10:12 AM
Bankers (the less obvious ones, because obviously #4, #10, #1):

Sanders - thought he really fought his way back into it and was tough when needed.
Garcia - huge last quarter, 8 possessions (4 contested) and is really showing a bit.
Macrae - high quality stuff from Macrae. Kept us in touch early. Really handy linking up in the second quarter too where he took 4 marks as we got a run on.

Anchors:
Injuries mounting up.
Suspensions.
People not sitting in their seats in Medallion club. Happens all the time. Reckon we would have been up and down, or at least moving our legs to let people past 6 times a quarter easily. Feel like I missed about 10% of the game!

azabob
03-06-2024, 10:57 AM
Bankers (the less obvious ones, because obviously #4, #10, #1):

Sanders - thought he really fought his way back into it and was tough when needed.
Garcia - huge last quarter, 8 possessions (4 contested) and is really showing a bit.
Macrae - high quality stuff from Macrae. Kept us in touch early. Really handy linking up in the second quarter too where he took 4 marks as we got a run on.

Anchors:
Injuries mounting up.
Suspensions.
People not sitting in their seats in Medallion club. Happens all the time. Reckon we would have been up and down, or at least moving our legs to let people past 6 times a quarter easily. Feel like I missed about 10% of the game!

Medallion club isn't for supporters is it? More for the tight corporates who don't want to pay for a box.

Ozza
03-06-2024, 11:21 AM
Medallion club isn't for supporters is it? More for the tight corporates who don't want to pay for a box.

Yes, but most of the time the companies who've purchased the seats for the year are palming the tickets off to staff or clients that support those clubs. Area I was in Friday night was full of pies supporters - and quite a few were having a good drink.

No dramas with having a drink, I'm a drinker, but up and back 2-3 times a quarter is a bit grating.

GVGjr
03-06-2024, 03:32 PM

This happens often at games with some people choosing to not go to their seats until the 5 minute mark of the quarters. A lot of them also leave their seats 5 minutes before the end of the quarter. The only time it really irks me is when someone is lining up for a set shot and you've got someone wanting to get to their seat at the same time

Bulldog Joe
03-06-2024, 03:36 PM
This happens often at games with some people choosing to not go to their seats until the 5 minute mark of the quarters. A lot of them also leave their seats 5 minutes before the end of the quarter. The only time it really irks me is when someone is lining up for a set shot and you've got someone wanting to get to their seat at the same time

I personally don't understand why anyone goes to the footy to drink.

I go to watch the footy

If they want to drink and chat with mates, go to the pub.

Scorlibo
03-06-2024, 04:11 PM

I tell them to wait until play has stopped. A lot of casual supporters or neutrals at games these days, they just don't realise they're doing anything wrong. May as well teach them on the spot.

EasternWest
03-06-2024, 04:20 PM
Yes, but most of the time the companies who've purchased the seats for the year are palming the tickets off to staff or clients that support those clubs. Area I was in Friday night was full of pies supporters - and quite a few were having a good drink.

No dramas with having a drink, I'm a drinker, but up and back 2-3 times a quarter is a bit grating.

Bogans gonna boge.

Mofra
03-06-2024, 05:21 PM
I personally don't understand why anyone goes to the footy to drink.

I go to watch the footy

If they want to drink and chat with mates, go to the pub.
Gee, someone doesn't like overpriced warm mid-strength beer served in a plastic cup...

Bullies
04-06-2024, 08:56 AM
Last round of 2023 versus Geelong? He got a Browlow vote (his only vote playing for the Dogs). Kicked three goals. Made a difference in the ruck. We played against witches hats on that occassion.