PDA

View Full Version : Who believes? Beating the Magpies "YES" or "NO"?

mjp
31-05-2024, 03:18 PM
Setting aside thoughts of injuries and home-grounds, who believes we can win tonight?

The 'Pies have a remarkable record in close games over the past couple of seasons...I mean, our close game record is ALSO remarkable except for all of the WRONG reasons!

Set injuries aside. Our players would have had this game in the backs of their mind since the fixture was released. It's gonna be packed, it's in Prime Time and it's against the reigning premiers. Thoughts of injuries would not have been in their thoughts THEN and their subconscious thoughts about the game will be both STRONG and WELL DEVELOPED. This is how HOODOOS become a thing...this is how matches between 'great rivals' (old school Derbies etc) are always close regardless of ladder positions...

My question is, do the players who are running out there tonight have enough belief in themselves, their team-mates and their game-plan to get the job done?? Because if they truly believe, we are simply going to be too good - too big, too talented and with too many avenues to goal. If they have doubts, just you watch - we will waste chances, appear a step slow all night (in attack and defence) and will go down in a close one where we play "OK" but never reach any great heights.

What do you think? Do "WE" believe or are their too many in the group who doubt whether or not we have enough to get past them.

bornadog
31-05-2024, 03:24 PM
I think after the last two weeks, we do believe and we have a big opportunity to win this.

We dominated the Swans game but wasted our opportunities. We never gave in last week, and kept going even though we were 3 men down and had fewer rotations off the bench. If we play the same way and dominate, we will win.

azabob
31-05-2024, 03:24 PM
Honestly. My biggest concern is not belief but falling into old habits of leaving it up to, too few to get the job done.

Hopefully with our injuries this puts our players in the right mindset to get the job done.

I am expecting to win tonight.

azabob
31-05-2024, 03:25 PM
I think after the last two weeks, we do believe and we have a big opportunity to win this.

We dominated the Swans game but wasted our opportunities. We never gave in last week, and kept going even though we were 3 men down and had fewer rotations off the bench. If we play the same way and dominate, we will win.

Three weeks if you include the huge win against Richmond.

GVGjr
31-05-2024, 03:28 PM
I don't underestimate Collingwood and especially in close games but I genuinely believe we should start slight favorites. We are going to miss Naughton but I still believe we can kick a big enough score.
The confidence gained with our 4 quarter effort against the Swans should be something we can build around.

JanLorMill
31-05-2024, 03:44 PM
We should but find it hard to believe it.

bornadog
31-05-2024, 03:59 PM
We should but find it hard to believe it.

The Op is asking whether you think the players have belief

Grantysghost
31-05-2024, 04:05 PM
I expect another brave effort and loss by 15 points after giving it a good shake.

We need one of these type of wins to get this group on a roll, however the Pies are probably the toughest team to do that against with their system not dependant on the few.

So I think we don't believe yet, we need to win against a contender to do that, however tonight isn't the night.

Bulldog Joe
31-05-2024, 04:07 PM
Definitely should have the belief to get it done.
A good start is important.
Do that and there is no reason for it to be a close game.

Let's just smash them.

Virgin-Dog
31-05-2024, 04:46 PM
Yes. And I don?t believe it?s anything to do with injuries, despite the excuses being made by some in the media (namely Cornes and Barrett - what a surprise!)

The team I?ve seen over the last 3 weeks has found a new gear. This is unrecognisable from the rubbish served up to start the season. I?m starting to think I was too harsh on Bevo and his ?evolution? talk, because it?s starting to look like he wasn?t talking out his arse.

Of course, there?s always the possibility we fall back into bad habits and shit the bed tonight. I?m remaining optimistic that we win handily

The Pie Man
31-05-2024, 04:51 PM
We were expected to take care of Geelong last round ‘23 in similar circumstances, but it took until the 3rd quarter (and Lobb in the ruck funnily enough) to take control.

Collingwood still have enough quality to get it done. I’m in more hope mode than confident.

mighty_west
31-05-2024, 04:52 PM
I would like to think that last week we turned a corner and the belief in the effort to want to go round again with that mindset and willingness to work hard both ways, a loss last week yes but as Bevo said the players to hold their heads high because that's the benchmark to not just compete but strive to be the best, bring that effort we win, simple as that.

Uninformed
31-05-2024, 05:24 PM
In the bag! Tick it off.

DOG GOD
31-05-2024, 05:40 PM
If we do nothing about Nick Daicos then we will 100% lose. I?m not believing all the crap about who they have out. Ash Johnson is that type of player who could kick 5 and bend our backs over.

And after last week, I don?t trust us to deliver.

What needs to happen?.
1) keep Naicos under 20 disposals
2) keep Johnson to under 2 goals
3) kick 12 goals ourselves and keep our behinds to single figures
4) get a good start
5) lead at 3qtr time by 15+ points

IF all this happens then it?s 60/40 in our favour.

Mantis
31-05-2024, 05:41 PM
We should be winning this game, but I'm not sure I'm at the point where I can trust us enough to get the job done.

Rocco Jones
31-05-2024, 06:03 PM
I think we either win by 5+ goals or lose by less than 10 points.

SonofScray
31-05-2024, 07:02 PM
Yes.

32 points.

First good scalp in a while.

westbulldog
31-05-2024, 07:24 PM
No worries at all, Keath's pure speed will dominate the back half whilst McNeil and VDM will be unstoppable up forward - that is why Ladbrokes have us $1.75 favorites :)

chef
31-05-2024, 07:58 PM
Still don't trust these guys so I've got no confidence.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2024, 12:17 AM
I didn't see this thread until post game. Busy week, I only got my Margin, 1st goal, BOG nominations in at the opening bounce.

But I was really thinking this was set for something. It did feel like something was brewing.

By the first 15 mins in I was thinking I had got this sooo wrong.

Lucky it was just the beginning of a pressure ladened, legendary win, where not just Bont stands up.......but the kids also really push it...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2024, 12:19 AM
Still don't trust these guys so I've got no confidence.

No and fair enough too. I don't either. But they've at least caused me to put my newspaper down and take an interest in what happens next again... which is good.