PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 12 vs Collingwood 2024

GVGjr
31-05-2024, 03:44 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R12 encounter against Collingwood.

westdog54
31-05-2024, 11:35 PM
1. We miss Aaron Naughton's ground level influence.
2. Rory Lobb approaches every marking contest as though he's going to not have any contact from the opposition.
3. Sanders' future is every bit as bright as Darcy's.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2024, 11:35 PM
1. Sanders did it late again this week
2. Adz for the Brownlow?
3. Darcy could be our best player in the not too distant future

EasternWest
31-05-2024, 11:38 PM
1. I'm full blown on the Darcy train
2. I'm full blown on the Darcy train
3. Despite appearances, Adam Treloar maybe just maybe has bought in.

Testekill
31-05-2024, 11:40 PM
1. When push comes to shove, there is no better player in the AFL than Bont
2. Treloar looks like he has one hand on the B&F and a strong choice for the All Australian.
3. Darcy will be the best tall player in the AFL in two years. Not even best tall for the Bulldogs, straight up best in the league.

macca
31-05-2024, 11:43 PM
1. We converted last weeks big effort to resiliency. there is something special brewing about this group, but there is a whole lot of self belief . I want to believe as a supporter.

2. We are seeing the competitive beast in Darcy emerging. I want to see more Darcy Beast mode.

3. There is a place for you McNeil. We want you to be in the side everyweek to put fwd pressure and convert those shots to goal. 2 goals. That is a great result!

hujsh
31-05-2024, 11:46 PM
1. We miss Aaron Naughton's ground level influence.
2. Rory Lobb approaches every marking contest as though he's going to not have any contact from the opposition.
3. Sanders' future is every bit as bright as Darcy's.

I was going to say something about Lobb but you've perfectly summarized what I couldn't put my finger on. He can lead and mark in a system like Freos but he's not a good contested mark, just tall. So with that as 1

2. English can be a presence physically. Maybe someone else can confirm this but to my eye it was the most imposing English has been in the contest in that last quarter (with the exception of the mark Cameron took late). It wasn't English's best game by any means but to me he showed something he usually doesn't. Given how poor Lobb was for the most part it highlights the need to keep him.

3. McNeil! We joked about him winning the game as the sub but by god he was influential when all is said and done and he actually showed some composure with that second goal. With the change in the holding the ball interpretation his pressure becomes all the more important too (and there were a few kicks I noticed that were that fraction more rushed with McNeil chasing behind that slowed their rebound.)

Secret 4th one, Bont is still a match winner. Yes he's a great player but this is the first time in a while it felt like he owned the match and made sure we won.

Mofra
31-05-2024, 11:51 PM
1. If there was any doubt lingering about playing Darcy ahead of Lobb, it was extinguished tonight
2. Sam Darcy's ceiling is higher than Marra and Naughts
3. I love Garcia.

EasternWest
31-05-2024, 11:52 PM
1. If there was any doubt lingering about playing Darcy ahead of Lobb, it was extinguished tonight
2. Sam Darcy's ceiling is higher than Marra and Naughts
3. I love Garcia.

Number 3 is a great point. I'm a fan of Garcia too. Got hosed a couple of times with the farcical HTB but really creative coming out of congestion and tough and fast.

azabob
01-06-2024, 12:00 AM
1. Macrae was quietly huge tonight. Nailing our first two goals when we couldn’t buy a touch. He was hard at the contest all night right up to the end of the match. I thought the game was past him.

2. Sanders can turn around a poor game into a impactful game. He was sluggish in the first half. His second half was so impressive. He had some vital touches and really adjusted to speed of the game.

3. Great to see the team work over Nick Daicos and bump, knock, push him at every opportunity. I did not think we had that mongrel in our group.

hujsh
01-06-2024, 12:05 AM
1. Macrae was quietly huge tonight. Nailing our first two goals when we couldn’t buy a touch. He was hard at the contest all night right up to the end of the match. I thought the game was past him.

2. Sanders can turn around a poor game into a impactful game. He was sluggish in the first half. His second half was so impressive. He had some vital touches and really adjusted to speed of the game.

3. Great to see the team work over Nick Daicos and bump, knock, push him at every opportunity. I did not think we had that mongrel in our group.

He's starting to show a bit of the touch with the ball he did in his standout junior games. That touch and class is the difference between being a Sam Mitchell and a Mitch Wallis IMO (no shade to Mitch but he just was too vanilla for an AFL mid)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2024, 12:11 AM
1. The kids are alright. Darcy, Sanders, Freijah, Garcia, Gallagher... that's a fair influx of young and inexperienced players who have been fast-tracked into some pretty significant roles.

2. Bontempelli is still king. Your time is coming quickly Nick Daicos (especially with all the dick kisses from the umpires and media) but Bont is still King. The hands he has, its NBA basketball level hand speed to consistently paddle balls out of contested situations to himself to regather in space

3. It matters not the players missing from both sides tonight; this could really set fire to this group's belief. We have really needed a win like this for so long. This is what clears the mental snot that accumulates from say I don't know shitting your pants into a GF that is so within your grasp to win......

angelopetraglia
01-06-2024, 01:26 AM
1. Marcus Bontempelli is a very good footballer. The best I have ever seen wear red, white and blue.

2. Sam Darcy looks like a generational talent. Players that tall and skinny should not be able to do what he is doing at his age and experience. He is a fierce competitor too. He just wants to win. Can be anything.

3. Lachlan McNeil. I have to apologise. Everyone deserves a second opportunity. I didn't think you had that in you. Firstly. A beautiful set shot that didn't look like missing when we really needed a goal. Then cometh the moment, cometh the man. Ice in his veins for the sealer.

bornadog
01-06-2024, 01:28 AM
1. If the Club is thinking about trading for Noble - forget it. I know why he was left out of GF side. He is the turnover king.

2. We are starting to really believe, and we are determined not to lose these type of matches

3. We are still a bit of a mess with all the talls in the forward line - need to straighten it out. All flying for the mark together is not working

jeemak
01-06-2024, 01:42 AM
1. If the Club is thinking about trading for Noble - forget it. I know why he was left out of GF side. He is the turnover king.

2. We are starting to really believe, and we are determined not to lose these type of matches

3. We are still a bit of a mess with all the talls in the forward line - need to straighten it out. All flying for the mark together is not working

Interesting as I thought he was lively but just lacked some impact even if in game quick territory was really needed. However, given he was subbed you might be onto something as I didn't think he was going to be a candidate for it meaning Collingwood's MC saw things they didn't like.

1. McNeil can finish and his good preseason and twos form is rewarded. He can develop into a good depth player if he continues to apply himself.

2. Jacko doesn't have to be on the ball to have an impact and demonstrate how tough he can be. While I'm sure he'd like to be playing a more central role in the team I wouldn't be surprised if this game was extremely satisfying for him and the MC.

3. Daniel is still struggling with our new way of playing and is a little stuck in his instinct to turn back on the outside rather than get it forward quickly to more open space. His burning of Darcy in the second was problematic and I fear he could struggle to retain his spot when others return to the side.

Happy Days
01-06-2024, 10:03 AM
1. Did you know that Collingwood are the first team to ever be missing a best 22 player? Such a brave effort to even field a side. Lachie Schultz was out there playing in an iron lung. Noble got subbed off with gangrene. So, so brave. Wankers

2. When the Blues came out and crushed Port on Thursday in an otherwise close game I said to my partner “man I wish the Dogs would do that just one time”. Well turns out they can.

3. Bont JFC chill bro

Grantysghost
01-06-2024, 10:23 AM
1. Did you know that Collingwood are the first team to ever be missing a best 22 player? Such a brave effort to even field a side. Lachie Schultz was out there playing in an iron lung. Noble got subbed off with gangrene. So, so brave. Wankers

2. When the Blues came out and crushed Port on Thursday in an otherwise close game I said to my partner “man I wish the Dogs would do that just one time”. Well turns out they can.

3. Bont JFC chill bro
Schultz is an average kick for goal, not sure I'm overly bothered we didn't get him.

jeemak
01-06-2024, 10:29 AM
Schultz is an average kick for goal, not sure I'm overly bothered we didn't get him.

Kept us in it, so kind of won a game for us even though we didn't land him.

He's actually a good player who's a bit sloppy at times. He'd fit right in at the Kennel.

bornadog
01-06-2024, 11:48 AM
Interesting as I thought he was lively but just lacked some impact even if in game quick territory was really needed. However, given he was subbed you might be onto something as I didn't think he was going to be a candidate for it meaning Collingwood's MC saw things they didn't like.

The Collingwood supporter sitting next to me said just watch Noble and you will see why he didn't play in the GF. Then, everytime he turned it over, he pointed it out to me. Did one good thing in the 3rd with a pass to I think Shultz standing in the goal square on his own

2. Jacko doesn't have to be on the ball to have an impact and demonstrate how tough he can be. While I'm sure he'd like to be playing a more central role in the team I wouldn't be surprised if this game was extremely satisfying for him and the MC.

After the game on the way to the train, I switched on SEN who interviewed him. They asked him how he is enjoying the HFF role, and he was very happy to be contribute to the team - seemed positive and has tried to adapt.

Bigdog
01-06-2024, 01:06 PM
1 - My biggest take of the night was Jack Macrae can play the half forward role well. Forget the early goals, he linked up well and imposed himself with good pressure. I think he has played a good role for a number of weeks now. Macrae doing a role is a big piece for us this year.

Now we just need to work out how to get Caleb to contribute more consistently. The holding the ball interpretation could help him a lot if the umps follow through(not confident the interpretation will be consistent or stay the same all year - reckon the will loosen it up in about 4 weeks).

2 - The young guys have changed the predictability of the side. Think bevo deserves a lot of credit for persevering with the young boys especially with heat on his position. I think the bulk of our fans are behind Bevo?s vision at the minute and can see what he is building.

I was leaning to wanting him out at the end of last year. I am well and truely on board now.

3 - Three Gutsy performances on the trot. Since the 2021 GF we have been a timid side. We have been vulnerable and played like we have scars. It finally feels like this has washed.

This a tougher product with players like West, Garcia and Sanders. I think this is the toughest product since 2016.

I?ll give a 4 - the injuries could make us better. The one I?ve liked in the twos has been Arty Jones. He had a bad game against Port Melbourne, but his had a really good month (conversion hasn?t been great).

As a half forward the stat sheet is never going to look great but his running power in the twos and pressure has looked very good to me. His influence at vfl level has also improved significantly from last year and the year previous. It feels like he is getting a lot more of the ball. Still runs over it a little to much though.

I think his game style will also translates better at afl level.

The other one is Buku. I don?t think he will ever make it as a defender as he gets exposed 1 on 1. But I think he can as a forward. He has very good leading patterns. A good kick. Pressure has improved significantly. I see no reason Buku could not compliment Darcy, JUH and Naughton as a forward.

bornadog
01-06-2024, 04:25 PM
The one I?ve liked in the twos has been Arty Jones. He had a bad game against Port Melbourne, but his had a really good month (conversion hasn?t been great).

As a half forward the stat sheet is never going to look great but his running power in the twos and pressure has looked very good to me. His influence at vfl level has also improved significantly from last year and the year previous. It feels like he is getting a lot more of the ball. Still runs over it a little to much though.

I think his game style will also translates better at afl level.

I went along to watch the VFL second half, and Arty was pretty good, picked up 17 disposals and a couple of goals. Thought it was one of his better VFL games for this year

kickit2Koly
01-06-2024, 09:35 PM
1. Marras ability to create a contest and bring the ball to ground is underrated. He didn’t have a huge games but he took away the pies biggest weapon, there interceptors. He is so close to tearing a game apart.

2. O’Donnell is building nicely, thought he was excellent again. 11 touches at 83% and 4 intercepts. He is very composed with ball in hand unlike some other key defenders who will remain nameless.

3. Bont just reminding everyone why he is still the best player in the comp. His work defensively sometimes goes unnoticed because he is so good offensively. Another 9 tackles last night and I think he court Daicos htb at least twice.

ratsmac
02-06-2024, 09:42 AM
Bankers.

1. Treloar is now a bulldog. For me it has always felt he's a Collingwood player playing for the Bulldogs. But this year he is a fully blown western bulldog. He's is in terrific form.

2. Winning a close game. We have been on the wrong side of close ones for a while now.

3. It would be remiss of me not to give The Bont a Banker. Did what champions do and took the game by the scruff. Not sure about his fluffy hair though.

Anchors

1. The second set of rules that we got. The umps had rules for us and rules for them and especially N Daicos. The bloke doesn't need a leg up from the umps he's that good. Why tarish his reputation with being an umpires darling.

2. Giving the pies a head start. It could of been a bridge to far had they kicked straight in the first qtr. We showed some great spirit with sticking to the task and trusting the process to get the win. Got lucky with some soft umpiring gifting our first goal with those 50's, so no complaints there.

3. First time in a corporate box for a Bulldogs game. Hell no! Put me outside with the riff raff any day. Although the free food and drinks was good, probably banker worthy tbh

Bullies
02-06-2024, 01:26 PM
1. Marras ability to create a contest and bring the ball to ground is underrated. He didn’t have a huge games but he took away the pies biggest weapon, there interceptors. He is so close to tearing a game apart.

2. O’Donnell is building nicely, thought he was excellent again. 11 touches at 83% and 4 intercepts. He is very composed with ball in hand unlike some other key defenders who will remain nameless.

3. Bont just reminding everyone why he is still the best player in the comp. His work defensively sometimes goes unnoticed because he is so good offensively. Another 9 tackles last night and I think he court Daicos htb at least twice. So glad you mentioned JOD. Don't get the dislike of this guy. He will be an elite player once he gets to 50 games.

bornadog
02-06-2024, 04:08 PM
3. First time in a corporate box for a Bulldogs game. Hell no! Put me outside with the riff raff any day. Although the free food and drinks was good, probably banker worthy tbh

Corporate box is great if your team is not playing

Scorlibo
02-06-2024, 06:56 PM
The Collingwood supporter sitting next to me said just watch Noble and you will see why he didn't play in the GF. Then, everytime he turned it over, he pointed it out to me. Did one good thing in the 3rd with a pass to I think Shultz standing in the goal square on his own

Even that pass came off the instep and just happened to work out well for him. He's one of those kickers with a nice looking technique, but poor results.

After the game on the way to the train, I switched on SEN who interviewed him. They asked him how he is enjoying the HFF role, and he was very happy to be contribute to the team - seemed positive and has tried to adapt.

It's taking a while for even our supporters to cotton on to the change in his role, which began 18 months ago. He's still judged against his midfield numbers. Internally I reckon they'd be rapt with what he's doing, and if he can start kicking snags that would complete his transition.

EasternWest
02-06-2024, 07:30 PM
Corporate box is great if your team is not playing

A lady at work once let me use her corporate box tickets for a Bulldogs v Lions game at Princes Park. I took my brother who is a fanatic/idiot. It didn't help we lost by ten goals.

I wasn't offered the box again.

angelopetraglia
02-06-2024, 08:17 PM
A lady at work once let me use her corporate box tickets for a Bulldogs v Lions game at Princes Park. I took my brother who is a fanatic/idiot. It didn't help we lost by ten goals.

I wasn't offered the box again.

Ha. Yes. Agree 100%. Never accept to go to the footy corporate to watch my team. Ever. For this reason and others. The footy when my team is playing is my escape. My time. I don't want to put on any pretence for anyone.

If my team is not playing. Happy to go along to the right game, with the right people.

Grantysghost
02-06-2024, 08:26 PM
Ha. Yes. Agree 100%. Never accept to go to the footy corporate to watch my team. Ever. For this reason and others. The footy when my team is playing is my escape. My time. I don't want to put on any pretence for anyone.

If my team is not playing. Happy to go along to the right game, with the right people.
Never turn down a corporate box.

angelopetraglia
02-06-2024, 08:40 PM
Never turn down a corporate box.

I have turned down probably 30+ in the last 10 years alone. Just not interested for Dogs games. Even turned down tickets to the 2016 GF, but I had enough tickets for everyone in my family and friendship group who needed them. I'm happiest in the outer. My preference to watch footy is from the seats we have had at Marvel for the last 20+ years.

I had a good business relationship going for 10+ years where we would go to the Prelim final every year with a group of people I knew well. That was always fun.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2024, 08:55 PM
I have turned down probably 30+ in the last 10 years alone. Just not interested for Dogs games. Even turned down tickets to the 2016 GF, but I had enough tickets for everyone in my family and friendship group who needed them. I'm happiest in the outer. My preference to watch footy is from the seats we have had at Marvel for the last 20+ years.

I had a good business relationship going for 10+ years where we would go to the Prelim final every year with a group of people I knew well. That was always fun.

I?m assuming that good business relationship for 10+ years wasn?t 1997 to 2010?

angelopetraglia
02-06-2024, 09:03 PM
I?m assuming that good business relationship for 10+ years wasn?t 1997 to 2010?

Ha. It actually started in 2008 and I went every time it was Friday night game in Melbourne. So not every year. But for a lot of years and definiltey not if the Dogs were playing!

Grantysghost
02-06-2024, 09:35 PM

Nice! You've got it on tap that's why you can be discerning ;)

I like the outer too. I like both, different, but great.

Dry Rot
03-06-2024, 01:48 AM
1. Maybe the fitness guy from the Giants is now making a difference, given how we have played out our last three games.

2. We still can have really bad quarters like the first, we must find a way to eliminate this.

3. Garcia should be one of the first picked every week.

Mantis
03-06-2024, 08:44 AM
1. Maybe the fitness guy from the Giants is now making a difference, given how we have played out our last three games.

2. We still can have really bad quarters like the first, we must find a way to eliminate this.

What do you suggest we do differently next time around?

azabob
03-06-2024, 09:41 AM

Was it the first quarter in its entirety or was it ten minutes of pure brilliance from Nick Daicos? Not sure anyone could have stopped Daicos in that mood.

After ten minutes it was 20 to zip.

We steadied and got things back on even terms from then on.

Mantis
03-06-2024, 10:30 AM
Was it the first quarter in its entirety or was it ten minutes of pure brilliance from Nick Daicos? Not sure anyone could have stopped Daicos in that mood.

We allowed Daicos too much space at the stoppage for him to work 1:1. Collingwood's other mids block for him extremely well and allow him the freedom to work, but when we made an in-tight battle our bigger bodies were able to nullify him.

Next time around I'd have Bont on him in the centre and then allow someone else to follow him around the ground.

SquirrelGrip
03-06-2024, 11:35 AM

Bont spoke about this on his interview on the ABC on Saturday. He explained how Collingwood's plan for the centre bounces caught them out and that it took most of the quarter to adjust. Once they did, the game got back on an even keel.

Clearly the players are smart enough to recognise the issue, but it does have shades of recent years when 10 minutes of centre clearances can kill us. Fortunately in this case it was at the start of the game, they couldn't kick straight, and we had time to adapt.

Mantis
03-06-2024, 11:57 AM
Bont spoke about this on his interview on the ABC on Saturday. He explained how Collingwood's plan for the centre bounces caught them out and that it took most of the quarter to adjust. Once they did, the game got back on an even keel.

Clearly the players are smart enough to recognise the issue, but it does have shades of recent years when 10 minutes of centre clearances can kill us. Fortunately in this case it was at the start of the game, they couldn't kick straight, and we had time to adapt.

If that's the case then we're idiots!

I watch very little of the midweek footy shows, but I did catch a little of AFL360 last Wednesday night when one of Montagna or King worked through how Collingwood are setting up in the centre square with DeGoey and Mitchell missing. In essence Pendlebury and Crisp were blocking their opponents to just let Daicos go 1:1 with his opponent which was allowing him to win clearance after clearance... this is pretty much what happened in the first 10-15min when Gags was caught without support and couldn't keep Daicos under wraps. When we adjusted and closed down the space we saw much better results.

Sedat
03-06-2024, 02:52 PM
Friday night only reinforced what I have already known for 50 years - when push comes to shove, the filth are the absolute lowest of the low in this competition and no other team comes close. Not the boys from Pissant Pork-Barrell Park, not the John Elliott/Ian Collins bourgeoisie, not the manufactured GWS plastics, not the drug cheats from The Hanger. Nobody.

Beating Collingwood and making sure their rabid (and frankly stupid) base of utter trash feral supporters go home disappointed is always a special kind of satisfying. I'm not buying the Craig McCrae/Darcy Moore charm offensive - they are and always will be the filth.

Happy Days
03-06-2024, 03:04 PM
I’ve actually sworn off Pies away games because of how feral they are. If the club keeps doing this stupid reselling of tickets to opposition fans on the members wing at home games then those might be out too.

FrediKanoute
03-06-2024, 11:43 PM
Bankers.

1. Treloar is now a bulldog. For me it has always felt he's a Collingwood player playing for the Bulldogs. But this year he is a fully blown western bulldog. He's is in terrific form.

2. Winning a close game. We have been on the wrong side of close ones for a while now.

3. It would be remiss of me not to give The Bont a Banker. Did what champions do and took the game by the scruff. Not sure about his fluffy hair though.

Anchors

1. The second set of rules that we got. The umps had rules for us and rules for them and especially N Daicos. The bloke doesn't need a leg up from the umps he's that good. Why tarish his reputation with being an umpires darling.

2. Giving the pies a head start. It could of been a bridge to far had they kicked straight in the first qtr. We showed some great spirit with sticking to the task and trusting the process to get the win. Got lucky with some soft umpiring gifting our first goal with those 50's, so no complaints there.

Funny I agree. There is something wrong with ging to see your team play and not be able to go full psycho! All the free beer and cucumber sandwiches don't compensate...