PDA

View Full Version : The New breed, a refresh/Evolution

bornadog
01-06-2024, 04:43 PM
We have some younger/inexperienced players that are starting to show something.

From last night:

* Harvey Gallagher - 12 games

* Riley Garcia - 26 games - even though he is 23 years old, he has been struck with injury in his first few years.

* Joe Freijah - 4 Games

* Rylah Sanders - 8 Games

* Sam Darcy - 18 Games

* JOD - 19 Games

They are getting games and have alot of potential. Is this a refresh/evolution

whythelongface
01-06-2024, 07:24 PM
Yes definitely- some promising signs

add to that West (23), Jamarra (22) even McNeil (22) - 9 players 23 and under last night. Apparently the Pies were the only ones with a young inexperienced list!! Sure Westy and Jamarra have played 50 odd games but still young guys.

If we can get games into Buss etc we have a good crop of young talent

jeemak
01-06-2024, 08:12 PM
It's interesting, you think your depth is cooked because the depth you were leveraging wasn't performing to the extent that it had in the past. Some of them move on and it doesn't take long for the green shoots to appear, particularly if you still have senior players to carry them.

The Geelong and Sydney models of not bottoming out are what clubs will aspire to, but you really need to have the quality in recruitment to be able to pull it off.

The bulldog tragician
01-06-2024, 09:56 PM
We have some younger/inexperienced players that are starting to show something.

From last night:

* Harvey Gallagher - 12 games

* Riley Garcia - 26 games - even though he is 23 years old, he has been struck with injury in his first few years.

* Joe Freijah - 4 Games

* Rylah Sanders - 8 Games

* Sam Darcy - 18 Games

* JOD - 19 Games

They are getting games and have alot of potential. Is this a refresh/evolution
They all contributed in various ways. More noticeable on replay. Freija I think was on McCreery who is a dangerous player. He more than held his own. I’d really love to see Garcia with more continuity getting to 50 games. It is promising that he runs out games very well.

I loved seeing Sanders combining at times with Superstar Bont. Some of the commentary on Sanders on the match day thread was really disappointing. The kid is doing so many things right. I’m loving watching his obvious talent and even The Bont wasn’t The Bont in game 8.

EasternWest
01-06-2024, 09:58 PM
They all contributed in various ways. More noticeable on replay. Freija I think was on McCreery who is a dangerous player. He more than held his own. I’d really love to see Garcia with more continuity getting to 50 games. It is promising that he runs out games very well.

I loved seeing Sanders combining at times with Superstar Bont. Some of the commentary on Sanders on the match day thread was really disappointing. The kid is doing so many things right. I’m loving watching his obvious talent and even The Bont wasn’t The Bont in game 8.

Agree with all of this but particularly Sanders. He's like, good good.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Plus we’ve seen Clarke, who will come back better for the run.
Croft is doing good things in the reserves
Smith looks like a nice ruck option down the track
Buss is doing really well as mentioned
We took Ryp as a young forward option

When we’ve let our recruiters take picks from 40+, they’ve landed Garcia, Gags, Freijah, JOD (Cat B), Smith, Ryp (MSD), while looking to have nailed the higher picks. When I look at this I find it hard to argue to not trim the list of players who aren’t going to make it and give our recruiters some more picks, included a chance to dabble in the rookie draft which we haven’t really done on a kid for a long time (McNeil of Sweet I think we’re the last). The roadmap is here. I advocated for a short and sharp refresh/rebuild for this season as I thought we had the experience around kids to not bottom out and rebound quickly. Even I’m a little surprised the club did it, and surprised we are doing well with such inexperience considering we’ve also seen Khamis & Cleary too.

If we can get a return on Smith (he seems out the door) and maybe trade a F1 for a late first this year and grab another couple of firsts, and take another couple later that’s going to be great. With Cooney & West in two years time to potentially bring in even more top end kids. From there we should be in full contending mode for a while if the recruiting team continues to nail their picks and we can retain all our good kids. Plus finding replacements for Jones, Keath, JJ & Doc.

I think Milesi has been important and could be our most important off field person if/when we can bounce back.

Testekill
02-06-2024, 11:26 AM
Bevo showing faith in our kids in big situations has been what has shifted our season. It would be so easy to only have Gags, Sanders and Garcia just cameo while Macrae and Daniel are primary rotations with Libba & Richards out but Bevo has not only backed them in, he has given them the ball when multiple games have been on the line in the final quarter and they have shown a lot of maturity.

Bullies
02-06-2024, 01:50 PM

I loved seeing Sanders combining at times with Superstar Bont. Some of the commentary on Sanders on the match day thread was really disappointing. The kid is doing so many things right. I’m loving watching his obvious talent and even The Bont wasn’t The Bont in game 8. I think some of the criticism of Sanders was brought upon by himeslf and his reaction to be being subbed out and subsequently dropped. His father calling Luke as well.

The best thing for him was going back to the 2's and learning how to defend and learn to play in the mid field both ways. Not something he never had to do in juniors.

He will look back and see how much it is improved his allround game.

D Mitchell
02-06-2024, 03:39 PM
I'm liking whatever Bev and the Match Committee are doing. More attitude into the forwards, Naughton's injury opens it up for smallers and Darce Tertius. Now that DT is on a 2 weeker, are there any other father-sons ready to take up the mantle ?

GVGjr
02-06-2024, 03:45 PM
I'm liking whatever Bev and the Match Committee are doing. More attitude into the forwards, Naughton's injury opens it up for smallers and Darce Tertius.

Is it as simple as that Bevo and the MC have pretty much followed through on the message they shared of making sure they pick the most ready players? I'm sure there are some variations on that position due to injuries but they have overwhelmingly seemed to have stuck with requirement.

Bumper Bulldogs
02-06-2024, 07:04 PM
It’s no doubt many things but it’s not a coincidence that we can cover many injuries and still have Footscray sitting at the top of the VFL ladder.

As you all may know I e had a few snips at Be o but honestly this year I recon he has grow and it seems he is not playing favourites and he is making hard calls and every is benefiting from it.

Also great to see all noise around him and grant has gone and off field all settled down.

The bulldog tragician
02-06-2024, 09:08 PM
I think some of the criticism of Sanders was brought upon by himeslf and his reaction to be being subbed out and subsequently dropped. His father calling Luke as well.

The best thing for him was going back to the 2's and learning how to defend and learn to play in the mid field both ways. Not something he never had to do in juniors.

I am sure he has plenty to learn. However in the match day thread he was called ‘poo’, someone else said ‘Sanders shits me’. He is 19 years old.

azabob
02-06-2024, 09:33 PM
I am sure he has plenty to learn. However in the match day thread he was called ?poo?, someone else said ?Sanders shits me?. He is 19 years old.

I chose to ignore your first drive by but not the second.

Interesting how you have neglected to mention both parties gave Sanders praise for his second half. His first half on Friday night was poor and the replay confirmed that.

jazzadogs
02-06-2024, 09:42 PM
I think some of the criticism of Sanders was brought upon by himeslf and his reaction to be being subbed out and subsequently dropped. His father calling Luke as well.

Second time this weekend you've posted about Bevo getting a call from Sanders dad...but prior to that I'd never heard anything about it. Where has this info come from?

And with the reaction to getting subbed - for something that supposedly happened at an AFL ground with hundreds of cameras there's no footage of it. This all came up at the height of 'sack Bevo', 'dogs are cooked' - is there even any truth to this?

He seems to have taken his demotion to the VFL pretty professionally from what I've seen, and explained it well in interviews where he clearly understood the reasoning.

azabob
02-06-2024, 09:43 PM
Second time this weekend you've posted about Bevo getting a call from Sanders dad...but prior to that I'd never heard anything about it. Where has this info come from?

And with the reaction to getting subbed - for something that supposedly happened at an AFL ground with hundreds of cameras there's no footage of it. This all came up at the height of 'sack Bevo', 'dogs are cooked' - is there even any truth to this?

He seems to have taken his demotion to the VFL pretty professionally from what I've seen, and explained it well in interviews where he clearly understood the reasoning.

Dog God raised it in the match day thread on Friday night.

Grantysghost
02-06-2024, 09:48 PM

I'm with you here JD. Nothing story. If you weren't driven like he is then you wouldn't be the success he has been so far.
Marra was borderline arrogant early doors, it was just insane drive mixed with big fish small pond sydrome and innocent naiviety.

If the Dad thing is legit, well i guess he cares about his son. It was probably a perfectly reasonable conversation to have. Doesn't have to be sinister, could be just a check in to see how he thinks Riley is travelling and was totally mature and amicable (as would be expected).

I ask my nephew's coach questions.

hujsh
02-06-2024, 09:50 PM

Wasn't that where he was swearing and visibly upset after being subbed?

I can't find much except this quote and picture. Not sure if they showed it on the coverage but I'm not going to go back and check.

Also I wouldn't try and read much into it myself without knowing the guy. It can be a reasonable and encouraging reaction to be frustrated at being subbed off.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GK9nLW8aAAETWE5?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-14293128/e294eb6d9e77c1dab1f42123247921a733601b7c-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2

bornadog
02-06-2024, 09:52 PM

I can't find much except this quote and picture. Not sure if they showed it on the coverage but I'm not going to go back and chack

https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-14293128/e294eb6d9e77c1dab1f42123247921a733601b7c-16x9-x0y0w1280h720.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2

He was disappointed in his own performance, but medja make a big deal out of it and change the situation to suit their story

Grantysghost
02-06-2024, 09:53 PM

I can't find much except this quote and picture. Not sure if they showed it on the coverage but I'm not going to go back and check.

Also I wouldn't try and read much into it myself without knowing the guy. It can be a reasonable and encouraging reaction to be frustrated at being subbed off.

Great passion. Probably mad at himself and a victim of his own expectations.

I saw an u/14 scream fk and throw his mouth guard today when he leaked a goal.

jazzadogs
02-06-2024, 10:15 PM
Dog God raised it in the match day thread on Friday night.

Sorry, didn't go back to check so figured both posts were Bullies.

Regardless, outside of the match day thread and here I haven't seen anything about it.

I have no problem with Sanders and think he's had an encouraging start to his career in a difficult role. He's not the big kahuna like Reid has been in West Coasts midfield, and he's not getting cheap kicks across half back like Daicos and Sheezel did - he's playing half forward with stints in the midfield. Macrae and Bailey Smith struggled to play that role but we're getting angry at a kid for not nailing it?

Bullies
03-06-2024, 08:28 AM

He seems to have taken his demotion to the VFL pretty professionally from what I've seen, and explained it well in interviews where he clearly understood the reasoning. First time I've raised it on here andi heard it through the media. If you read my posts i said some time ago after his "dummy spit" that the club asked him to go back into the 2's and learn the other side of his game which was to defend. Something he never had to do as a junior. He still has a lot to learn and his second half was encouraging after an ordinary first half. At the moment if we a full list available he is probably not in the best 22.

GVGjr
03-06-2024, 08:53 AM
First time I've raised it on here andi heard it through the media. If you read my posts i said some time ago after his "dummy spit" that the club asked him to go back into the 2's and learn the other side of his game which was to defend. Something he never had to do as a junior. He still has a lot to learn and his second half was encouraging after an ordinary first half. At the moment if we a full list available he is probably not in the best 22.

At the moment Sanders plays one or two positions and while I agree that if we had a full and healthy list it would be hard to see him regularly in our best 22 I do believe he has performed well enough in recent weeks.
The only reason why I have some doubts that a call was made by his father is that Sanders was highly complementary on the communication he receives from Lade in particular and Bevo on what he needs to do both for the senior and VFL teams.
Those sorts of calls would only be made to seek clarity and that doesn't appear to be the issue. He probably cracked the shits being benched but he got over that quickly.

SquirrelGrip
03-06-2024, 11:31 AM
This is such a false narrative about Ryley. He is driven and determined, with extremely high standards on himself. There was no "dummy spit" at the coaches. He was annoyed with himself that he wasn't performing at the level he demands for himself.

I think this is great and can't wait for him to maintain those standards over the next 15 years at the club, and drive similar standards for the draftees and recruits that follow him.

Ryley's Dad is also a good fella and a coach himself. Having met him, he's not the type to be having a go at other coaches with demands on how they manage his son. If he did in fact call Bevo - and Bevo himself has said before how he builds relationships with the players' families not just the players, so it could even have been Bevo calling him - then it would be constructive to help Ryley continue to learn to play and understand the demands of AFL.

FrediKanoute
03-06-2024, 11:36 PM
Great passion. Probably mad at himself and a victim of his own expectations.

I saw an u/14 scream fk and throw his mouth guard today when he leaked a goal.

My U11 screamed F*CK when he missed a tackle and it resulted in a goal.......much chuckling on the sidelines by parents.....sooner have a passionate kid than one who doesn't give a sh*t

kickit2Koly
04-06-2024, 12:43 AM
My U11 screamed F*CK when he missed a tackle and it resulted in a goal.......much chuckling on the sidelines by parents.....sooner have a passionate kid than one who doesn't give a sh*t

Agree 100%. Not sure If any of you are NFL fans but Mike Tomlin, head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers has a great quote around this. One of his star young players had a dummy spit on the side lines during a game. When asked by a report about it his response was,

I'd rather say whoa than sic 'em. I want a guy that wants to be a significant part of what it is we do … the mature way to express that, we’re working on. That competitive spirit of a guy that wants the ball, I want that guy."