PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs V Lions - Round 13, 7/6/24 Marvel Stadium 7:40PM AEST

Pages : 1 [2]

lemmon
07-06-2024, 10:59 PM
Few low points from senior guys in the last two minutes - Caleb, Dale, Macrae, even Bont

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 10:59 PM
Buku just sit there all night i guess.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:00 PM
Buku just sit there all night i guess.

Apparently. Great choice.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-06-2024, 11:01 PM
Selfish last quarter they all playing for states. Daniel took the advantage then Bonts long Bomb. Both low percentage choices

The Bulldogs Bite
Keathy would be a great chicken. Loves to sit on the ball more than any other player in the history of the game.

Grantysghost
Apparently. Great choice.
Yay hes on.

bulldogtragic
Touchy footy now. I hate what they’re doing to the game.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:02 PM
Raynor dived, so badly, that's bullshit.

angelopetraglia
No free kick against Bailey Dale. Another goal from a free kick.

Bumper Bulldogs
Buku on with 10 minutes left how is he going to impact this game. Pretty dumb by the powers to be

Grantysghost
Ten mins left.

Towel well and truly thrown in, how ugly can it get.

bulldogtragic
Bye Rory.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:03 PM
Seriously running back and Dale didn't initiate contact and he ****en dived. What a joke this sport is becoming.

The Bulldogs Bite
Buss for Keath. It's time.

Mantis
Our midfield is up and down on the spot.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:05 PM
Treloar cooked Sanders then.

JanLorMill
07-06-2024, 11:06 PM
When came we trade Sanders to tassy? How many #5 midfield picks are soft and fumble so much?

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:07 PM
Really need to get a couple back and protect our percentage.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:07 PM
When came we trade Sanders to tassy? How many #5 midfield picks are soft and fumble so much?

Get out of it. Seriously.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-06-2024, 11:08 PM
I test my case. Buku on. Big grab by the Bont and Goal. Should have happened quarters ago

JanLorMill
07-06-2024, 11:08 PM
Get out of it. Seriously.
Yes a little harsh but Tell me which game so far he is looked like a top pick?

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:10 PM
Yes a little harsh but Tell me which game so far he is looked like a top pick?

It's cool, it's the game day thread. Everyone is up for grabs, but I think he was pretty bloody good last week.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Toying with their food at this point.

bulldogtragic
Six for Hipwood. We suck tonight.

Grantysghost
We traded away A LOT to get him lets hope he lives up to his junior talent.

chef
07-06-2024, 11:12 PM
Lol Hopwood with 6, thats embarrassing.

Grantysghost
6 goals for Hipwood.

Gold.

He's joined the club.

JanLorMill
It's cool, it's the game day thread. Everyone is up for grabs, but I think he was pretty bloody good last week.
Serviceable not a top pick

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:15 PM
Lol Hopwood with 6, thats embarrassing.

JOD forward and Buku on the bench worked a treat.

Our defence is as strong as we have really. I know JJ and Gardner. Richards is a mid now.

When the midfield gets spanked like this is really exposes our biggest weakness.

Duryea done a good job on Cameron at least.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:15 PM
Such an ugly ugly ugly night. No other way to describe it.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:17 PM
We have been flat all night. No energy. No run.

The Lions have been the opposite. Dunkley said on his podcast with Treloar how much they recovered over the break and how they were able to do more detailed opposition analysis. Said he had a jab in his ankle the day after his last game due to a niggle and it was feeling perfect for the first time a long time after a week off.

I have no doubt in this instance. They bye and reset was a massive advantage for the Lions compounded by us losing so many players in the last couple of weeks.

jeemak
Serviceable not a top pick

If he's your focus for the night then fine, but there's a lot more on my mind than a young kid trying to find his way in his first half of an AFL season.

JanLorMill

Our defence is as strong as we have really. I know JJ and Gardner. Richards is a mid now.

When the midfield gets spanked like this is really exposes our biggest weakness.

Too smart by half

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:18 PM
Is this the first loss all season where we have not been in the game at some point in the last quarter? I think it is.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 11:19 PM

Yeah. But which one kicked 40+ goals last year in the VFL???

JanLorMill
07-06-2024, 11:19 PM
Thinking McNeil was going to be ok 2 in a row was a bridge too far

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:20 PM
Not sure what to make of this ine. It's certainly a step back on previous weeks. They look scared tonight, fumbled, made stupid mistakes over and over.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:21 PM
Yeah. But which one kicked 40+ goals last year in the VFL???

That's Bevo!

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExa2o1OWJhYWZ6YWZmb3JtenJrNW1jMnVuZjM0eTR3b WY0d3RjeTFnZSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/B9KKBuOIp4zqI7Cll0/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Is this the first loss all season where we have not been in the game at some point in the last quarter? I think it is.
Round 1

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Not sure what to make of this ine. It's certainly a step back on previous weeks. They look scared tonight, fumbled, made stupid mistakes over and over.

Culmination of poor effort, they had better talent on the park, were well rested and we are not.

The fatigue and injuries have caught up to us now and I reckon the fork is wedged into us.

JanLorMill
07-06-2024, 11:24 PM
If he's your focus for the night then fine, but there's a lot more on my mind than a young kid trying to find his way in his first half of an AFL season.
He is a focus every week. He hasn’t been in our bests yet? For someone that’s we paid a high price,the club built up preseason and suppose to be a future midfield star, it’s far from it atm

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:24 PM

The McNeil miss in the second quarter started the avalanche. We were been outplayed but finding a way to stay in touch, until that 12 point play where McNeil missed a sitter and they went up the other end and goals in a heartbeat.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:26 PM
Round 1

We pressed early and by memory Marra had an easy shot to close it to within two goals early in the last quarter.

kruder
07-06-2024, 11:28 PM
Got us at the right time the Lions, cumulative impact off the injuries over the last month while they are coming off their second bye for the year.

One things for sure we can?t go back to the old midfield group again.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:28 PM
We pressed early and by memory Marra had an easy shot to close it to within two goals early in the last quarter.
Crikey ok, forgot that AP.

I thought we were spanked all day.

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:34 PM
So Friejah I thought played well but he looks very slow with his disposal and doesn't seem to have much speed. I really don't know much about him so where do others see him in the 22 today and beyond.

Hotdog60
07-06-2024, 11:35 PM
So Friejah I thought played well but he looks very slow with his disposal and doesn't seem to have much speed. I really don't know much about him so where do others see him in the 22 tiday and beyond.

I'd take him over Bramble

bornadog
07-06-2024, 11:36 PM
He is a focus every week. He hasn?t been in our bests yet? For someone that?s we paid a high price,the club built up preseason and suppose to be a future midfield star, it?s far from it atm
Bloody hell he is an 18 year old kid

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:37 PM

He's not going to make it much like Bramble. They'll let us down more times than not. We need the players to push guys like this from the team

merantau
The McNeil miss in the second quarter started the avalanche. We were been outplayed but finding a way to stay in touch, until that 12 point play where McNeil missed a sitter and they went up the other end and goals in a heartbeat.

It is true that it was an appalling miss at a time when we had some momentum. For me McNeil's card is now marked.

We were slaughtered around the stoppages. What a pity we didn't do ANYTHING to Neale. He was just allowed to do as he liked while the Bont was pushed, held, harassed and blocked at every opportunity. That is a serious omission as far as I'm concerned.

Lose next week and you can put a fork in us I'm afraid.

jeemak
Not sure JOD forward would have been superseded by Khamis forward. Not sure our defensive woes would have been fixed by JOD back.

We got smashed at the source and between the arcs. There's not much you can tell from watching on TV in terms of structure outside of seeing who has more jumpers on your screen most of the time, and Brisbane killed us in that area.

Work rate, pressure on the ball and tackling are front and centre to me.

G-Mo77
I'd take him over Bramble

I'd pick you over Bramble mate.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:38 PM
So Friejah I thought played well but he looks very slow with his disposal and doesn't seem to have much speed. I really don't know much about him so where do others see him in the 22 tiday and beyond.

I thought he was solid again. He doesn?t panic with the ball in hand. Finds a way to get space in traffic and is a penetrating kick. Also pretty solid overhead.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:39 PM
He is a focus every week. He hasn?t been in our bests yet? For someone that?s we paid a high price,the club built up preseason and suppose to be a future midfield star, it?s far from it atm

He played really well over the preseason and in the preseason games. He's not going as well as we'd like but there's signs that he will be OK once he gets his head around what it is to be a league footballer.

Perhaps we should have just sat him behind the ball like Sheezel and Daicos had the benefit of in the first parts of their careers to ease him into it. But we haven't because we need to speed up the change in our midfield mix. That's not on him, that's on us. He's a kid playing on hardened and ruthless men at the coal face.

JanLorMill
07-06-2024, 11:39 PM
Bloody hell he is an 18 year old kid
Plenty of 18yos have shown more.

JanLorMill
07-06-2024, 11:42 PM
He played really well over the preseason and in the preseason games. He's not going as well as we'd like but there's signs that he will be OK once he gets his head around what it is to be a league footballer.

Perhaps we should have just sat him behind the ball like Sheezel and Daicos had the benefit of in the first parts of their careers to ease him into it. But we haven't because we need to speed up the change in our midfield mix. That's not on him, that's on us. He's a kid playing on hardened and ruthless men at the coal face.
The preseason was a joke for us.
So you are admitting we have handled him poorly then

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:43 PM
Not sure JOD forward would have been superseded by Khamis forward. Not sure our defensive woes would have been fixed by JOD back.

We got smashed at the source and between the arcs. There's not much you can tell from watching on TV in terms of structure outside of seeing who has more jumpers on your screen most of the time, and Brisbane killed us in that area.

I was at the game. They beat us in every facet of the game. We actually did well to stay as close as we did for long periods.

They beat us at the source, they spread from the contest well, the moved the ball many different ways, slow build up with short kicks and then were also prepared to run with the ball through the middle and take risky kicks to open the ground up. On the other hand, they defended the ground well and pegged us in their D50 many times and we just looked unable to find run, link up or even hit easy spares to find relief from their pressure.

They had more hunger at the source, put more pressure when they didn?t have the ball and just cut us apart with the ball in hand.

We were poor, the umps were atrocious and the Lions to their credit were very good tonight. Outstanding even.

Hotdog60
07-06-2024, 11:46 PM
I'd pick you over Bramble mate.

Yeah I'm pushing 65 with a heart condition and I'd take me over Branble as well. :)

G-Mo77
07-06-2024, 11:47 PM
I thought he was solid again. He doesn?t panic with the ball in hand. Finds a way to get space in traffic and is a penetrating kick. Also pretty solid overhead.

There is definitely something to work with there.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:47 PM
The preseason was a joke for us.
So you are admitting we have handled him poorly then

No, I'm saying we're choosing to blood him in the midfield immediately and it's going to have its consequences on his immediate output, but hopefully benefit him long term.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:49 PM
I was at the game. They beat us in every facet of the game. We actually did well to stay as close as we did for long periods.

They beat us at the source, they spread from the contest well, the moved the ball many different ways, slow build up with short kicks and then were also prepared to run with the ball through the middle and take risky kicks to open the ground up. On the other hand, they defended the ground well and pegged us in their D50 many times and we just looked unable to find run, link up or even hit easy spares to find relief from their pressure.

They had more hunger at the source, put more pressure when they didn?t have the ball and just cut us apart with the ball in hand.

We were poor, the umps were atrocious and the Lions to their credit were very good tonight. Outstanding even.

They seemed to really straddle the line of what is a required length kick coming out of defence as well, and I guess that's to their credit as some of them seemed very short, especially on the diagonal crossing into the square. It enabled them to hold possession and take advantage of our lack of frontal pressure/ disorganisation.

jeemak
07-06-2024, 11:50 PM

He looked good to me as well. Under huge amounts of pressure he didn't seem overawed to the extent he could have been.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 11:50 PM
How many times did Berry grab some of Bont?s jumper at a stoppage without a free kick? Block him off the ball. Did Botn get one free kick all night from this?

Last week, I saw Daicos get a free kick almost every time this happened to him. Daicos does a good job ensuring the umpire sees it by throwing his arms and head back, while Bont doesn?t play for free kicks in the same way.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:52 PM

My feel was when Jones left his man as he does, nobody had a clue how to cover off for him. JOD is very good at positioning.
Agree for the most part, the way we lost the contest the backs were mega exposed.

Grantysghost
07-06-2024, 11:54 PM
No, I'm saying we're choosing to blood him in the midfield immediately and it's going to have its consequences on his immediate output, but hopefully benefit him long term.

He's getting Harleyed.

jazzadogs
08-06-2024, 12:01 AM
They seemed to really straddle the line of what is a required length kick coming out of defence as well, and I guess that's to their credit as some of them seemed very short, especially on the diagonal crossing into the square. It enabled them to hold possession and take advantage of our lack of frontal pressure/ disorganisation.

It was really noticeable that they would protect the ball with short kicks to uncontested marks, often linking 4 or 5 together to slice through us as we were too fatigued to close space in the zone like it is designed for.

By comparison, I can't think of a single time we linked even 3 uncontested marks in a row.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 12:14 AM
It was really noticeable that they would protect the ball with short kicks to uncontested marks, often linking 4 or 5 together to slice through us as we were too fatigued to close space in the zone like it is designed for.

By comparison, I can't think of a single time we linked even 3 uncontested marks in a row.

Out run. Out worked. They just looked fitter and had more run in their legs all night.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 12:15 AM
Out run. Out worked. They just looked fitter and had more run in their legs all night.No wonder coming off a bye, and we have had some terrible weeks where injuries left us with no rotations

jeemak
08-06-2024, 12:20 AM

It reminded me of how teams get or got picked apart on the narrow grounds of Kardinia and Subi of yesteryear respectively, where you give away the short thinking you can roll back and crunch space, but give three away and territory either laterally or by length has your defence cooked.

It also reminded me of how the outside five is catastrophic if the rest of your pressure game is cooked. In hindsight we were the trailblazers with that tactic, but when we were executing it at the implementation of the Stand Rule our pressure everywhere else was really bad. Now everyone is doing it at different times, and use it effectively.

Eastdog
08-06-2024, 12:24 AM
Just got home from Marvel.

Another home game lost. Disappointing we could not consolidate our win from last week and good form in recent weeks tonight.

Our pressure would have been very low. We got beaten up in the midfield where the game was decided. They were more hungry and did seem a lot fitter than we were.

Tough for us being undermanned and playing a side coming off a bye and we also play another side Freo who are bying this week next. It is what it is.

The umpiring was atrocious and for all the talk of paying HTBs we certainly did not get the benefit.

Realistically we are still in the hunt for the top 8 with the competition being close. Top 4 out of reach now as you need at least 15 wins or more to make it.

We could definitely miss the 8 again all together. Just too inconsistent.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 12:28 AM
How can we be drawn two weeks in a row against teams coming off the bye? The fixture is atrocious and the opening round has created even more issues.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 12:35 AM
How can we be drawn two weeks in a row against teams coming off the bye? The fixture is atrocious and the opening round has created even more issues.

From a mate in a WhatsApp group that usually rips into us and Bevo:

The schedule wins that come out of our horrid fixture is so wrong. It’s bad enough when teams get to walk into the finals when they draw 2 against the 3 bottom sides but to get done on byes and short weeks after interstate travel is corrupt.

There's too many teams getting screwed, and we've been cooked this year on byes in particular.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 12:58 AM
Bevo

Difficult to win with the landslide of clearances.

Eastdog
08-06-2024, 01:00 AM
Would be interesting to know the stat tonight for how many times we won the ball when we hit the deck as I felt that we were just really bad in this area.

We need some zippy small forwards. West has helped here didn't have his best night. We miss Weightman.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:00 AM
Bevo

We could not get enough momentum and didn't have enough winners all over the ground. We could not have been beaten more convicing and we we still kicked 70 points and we were in the game.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:02 AM
Bevo

In the first half their uncontested marking game they picked us apart. We didn't execute as well as we had. They also got goals close to goal out the back and we have not been giving a lot of those up. Our mids allowed the ball out of the source to quickly, we fumbled and we left our defence exposed.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:02 AM
Just got home from Marvel.

Another home game lost. Disappointing we could not consolidate our win from last week and good form in recent weeks tonight.

Our pressure would have been very low. We got beaten up in the midfield where the game was decided. They were more hungry and did seem a lot fitter than we were.

Tough for us being undermanned and playing a side coming off a bye and we also play another side Freo who are bying this week next. It is what it is.

The umpiring was atrocious and for all the talk of paying HTBs we certainly did not get the benefit.

Realistically we are still in the hunt for the top 8 with the competition being close. Top 4 out of reach now as you need at least 15 wins or more to make it.

We could definitely miss the 8 again all together. Just too inconsistent.

Great post Eastie, thanks from someone who wasn't there.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:03 AM
Bevo

There was an energy in their game at the source that we could not match. I'm not going to make excuses (about them coming off a bye). We were just outplayed.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:04 AM
Bevo

JOD played his role as a forward well tonight. Lobb had an ankle and was not covering the ground as well as he normally does. Buku was insurance for us tonight.

SonofScray
08-06-2024, 01:04 AM
All the fawning over a 6-6 record and guffawing at folk who have expressed frustration with the Club and are looking for a change over the past few weeks doesn’t seem to have taken place on as solid ground as perhaps it felt.

Finals are going to require a very strong, consistent run of footy, beating good teams in form and ready on the day. We aren’t doing that and haven’t been doing it for a while. Some positive signs in the past month but it was very optimistic to look past the * on the wins.

We are a capable team, very capable when the conditions are right. Tonight, with injuries and the bye and fatigue etc there were plenty of conditions not right.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:08 AM
Bevo

We needed to be at the top our game tonight to compete in the midfield. We were not and they put us to the sword. We had Libba coming off a month off, we had Sanders not having 10 games under his belt yet, we had the little guys in Garcia and West up for a pinch hit here and there, we just could not get on top of their guys. Next week Freo is a real concern, when you consider what happened last time.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:09 AM
The Lions got seven HTB decisions that went their way in the first half!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:10 AM
All the fawning over a 6-6 record and guffawing at folk who have expressed frustration with the Club and are looking for a change over the past few weeks doesn?t seem to have taken place on as solid ground as perhaps it felt.

Finals are going to require a very strong, consistent run of footy, beating good teams in form and ready on the day. We aren?t doing that and haven?t been doing it for a while. Some positive signs in the past month but it was very optimistic to look past the * on the wins.

We are a capable team, very capable when the conditions are right. Tonight, with injuries and the bye and fatigue etc there were plenty of conditions not right.

I'm sorry if you feel guffawed at, and I'm sorry if I seem to have been fawning, if the above is directed at me amongst others.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:12 AM
The Lions got seven HTB decisions that went their way in the first half!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was pretty hard to swallow, when I saw that stat and we were 24-25 in tackles.

There's no point pissing and moaning about umpiring when you're comprehensively smashed, but **** it was a tough watch on that front tonight.

Watching Bont get scragged, watching Jones get held and then fended high and a few others early almost had me scaring my dog and neighbours (I managed not to because I knew it was going to be a tough night from the start).

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:12 AM
I thought Bevo was very good in his presser tonight, again. One thing I think he always does well is identify and communicate clearly and eloquently when we lose what went wrong.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:13 AM
Bevo

We had a few of our key position players who were sore. That is why Buku was the sub.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:16 AM
I thought Bevo was very good in his presser tonight, again. One thing I think he always does well is identify and communicate clearly and eloquently when we lose what went wrong.

I posted in the Sharp Axes thread the same thing. Very sober assessment.

Beveridge if not directly expressing it actually hides how he's feeling in plain site, and the vast majority of the football world doesn't pick up on it, gets completely confused by it and for some reason cracks the shits over it.

I'll take his style over a Hinkley or Lyon any day.

kruder
08-06-2024, 01:27 AM
Can anyone understand how Bevo uses the sub? Just seems to be so conservative even we we are down and don't have momentum in the third quarter. I'm not sure on the stats but I reckon our subs are used at late as any.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:32 AM
Can anyone understand how Bevo uses the sub? Just seems to be so conservative even we we are down and don't have momentum in the third quarter. I'm not sure on the stats but I reckon our subs are used at late as any.

This is the first week I can recall in recent times where we have not had an early injury which has forced the early use of the sub.

SonofScray
08-06-2024, 01:32 AM

He is a good custodian of the game. Those comments re: HTB were spot on.

SonofScray
08-06-2024, 01:44 AM
I'm sorry if you feel guffawed at, and I'm sorry if I seem to have been fawning, if the above is directed at me amongst others.

I think we have disagreed respectfully and in good humour.

Get smashed on a few of the other platforms and felt the general vibe here last week was a bit foul, certainly putting the boots in a bit early.

So much so, I had AI write me a song. You’ll enjoy it.

https://suno.com/song/479c9f3e-fe1e-436f-bebc-04d8ae51bfce

macca
08-06-2024, 01:47 AM

The AFL hate us

Brisbane have 2 ffQ$%!$%k byes and we have zero

HTB misinterpretation for the doggies.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:53 AM
I think we have disagreed respectfully and in good humour.

Get smashed on a few of the other platforms and felt the general vibe here last week was a bit foul, certainly putting the boots in a bit early.

So much so, I had AI write me a song. You’ll enjoy it.

https://suno.com/song/479c9f3e-fe1e-436f-bebc-04d8ae51bfce

The Boogity Boogity during the bridge has erased any negative energy I've gotten from this evening's transpiring's. Amazing.

Excellent work. I mean, really ****ing excellent (I even used an "i" instead of a "e" when I typed ****ing I was so impressed).

It has been in good humour and it's one of my favourite things.

Eastdog
08-06-2024, 01:58 AM
Just watched Bevo's presser.

Thanks AP for the breakdown of the presser.

Certainly a big challenge again next Saturday against Freo. We need to bring our pressure and be first to the source. Hopefully Richards will be back soon as we have missed him through there.

soupman
08-06-2024, 08:15 AM
This feels harsh but the last 3 games from Jones have all been not great?

Maybe it's more a testament to how well he has been going for us otherwise, but just feel he has struggled lately with decision making, just feel he is more and more making the decision to come for the ball but not quite executing it to the same (very high) standard he was earlier which is hurting us.

Couple that with some really poor ball use and I think his last 3 weeks have been off.

Maybe it's symptomatic of him needing the week off and playing in a side that is increasingly undermanned but have thought it was noticeable.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 09:34 AM
Bevo

JOD played his role as a forward well tonight. Lobb had an ankle and was not covering the ground as well as he normally does. Buku was insurance for us tonight.
I just watched the press conference.

That was the Bevo I remember. He was superb.

Interesting the plan for Buku was just as insurance as we had some very sore talls. Seems like the bye can't come soon enough.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 09:43 AM
Here's a thought.

They stopped Marcus. We let Neale do whatever he wanted.

Marcus, go run with Neale. Berry goes to Bont, we get a loose. They have to think.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 09:45 AM
Also the two byes thing.

Yes, bad however ​the Lions did start their season a week earlier than us.

JanLorMill
08-06-2024, 09:53 AM

Interesting the plan for Buku was just as insurance as we had some very sore talls. Seems like the bye can't come soon enough.
The Buku sub option was puzzling to me. Insurance as a tall? His defensive game is iffy at best and if we play Jod forward he is our 6th tall option there?
If they were going to pick him. Play him

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 10:02 AM
The Buku sub option was puzzling to me. Insurance as a tall? His defensive game is iffy at best and if we play Jod forward he is our 6th tall option there?
If they were going to pick him. Play him
I agree especially with the Lions height. One of Hipwood or Daniher got off the chain all night. I get part of the issue was upstream but JOD back Buku on Caleb off makes sense to me.

D Mitchell
08-06-2024, 11:31 AM
Why didn't we swing O'Donnell back when Keith was off?
No Naughton, no Darcy, no Weightman, Lobb spending time 'round the ground as ruckman and with a bad ankle.

G-Mo77
08-06-2024, 11:56 AM

If we need insurance we probably should be sitting them out altogether.

Hotdog60
08-06-2024, 12:18 PM
No Keith next week, Hammy

mighty_west
08-06-2024, 12:23 PM
No Keith next week, Hammy

Congrats to Buss on making his debut!

whythelongface
08-06-2024, 12:37 PM
Congrats to Buss on making his debut!

Can?t come soon enough. Good game to make his debut. Freo forwards are ok without being outstanding

mighty_west
08-06-2024, 12:49 PM
My thoughts, was screaming for a few positional changes as things clearing weren't working, Liam Jones doing what he does and leaving his man gave them an easy option up forward, we handed Hipwood's form back on a platter, because he CAN play and last night proved it even though he's one of the leagues most inconsistent players, he can turn it on and once he got going his confidence was on.

We HAD to have another tall back and JOD would have been a good option, Bont was being taken out of the game in the middle so play him at CHF and go with what has worked over the past few weeks with a more unpredictable centre bounce mid set up, the fact Libba was also out of sorts big time put too much pressure on Treloar and whoever else was being rotated, West, Sanders, Gags and Garcia had to be given more time in the guts and would have given us Jamarra, Lobb/English and Bont as our key forwards with Keath, Jones and JOD down back, would have been a much better structure for mine.

Nothing against Libba but it was as though we went back to our old selves again with no dare and looking shaky in the middle.

azabob
08-06-2024, 04:57 PM
I went along last night as I do to each home game.

By far last night was the most lethargic we have been all season.

We were well and truly beaten in all areas of the game. Lions were tougher in the contest, quicker in transition and overall more polished. It was very noticeable how bigger and more athletic both Daniher and Hipwood were and they took advantage. All game we were out numbered when the ball hit the ground, when the ball was in transition and where the ball ended up either in our 50 or their 50.

Purely from a numbers perspective you could argue that Dale and Treloar had solid games but for mine they did not impact the game. Liam Jones game also hard to judge, a heap of intercept marks, but clearly had goals kicked on him. Last night again reinforced how slow both Jones and Keath are when the ball is on the ground within a 1 to 2 meter radius - it is like they are on an ice rink. Coupled with Bramble we can be very shaky when the ball is in our defensive 30 meters.

A lot of angst towards Lobb but for mine English had just as much impact on the game - sweet FA.

Only Bontempelli and Ugle-Hagan looked likely to win the game for us. Bontempelli was scragged all night, he got a little help from his teammates but nothing from the umpires - but still managed 19 and 3 quality goals. Williams and Duryea won their positions which is huge considering the onslaught inside D50.

For mine our back 6/7 for the remainder of the year needs to be Jones, Williams, JOD, Dale, Freijah, Busslinger/Khamis, Cleary /Coffield.

Freijah needs to back himself a bit more he has the tools to provide run and carry which I am sure will come. He does remind me of an ex Eagle Andrew Embley. Surprised no one else has made that connection ;)

Our inside mids had a night to forget. Longer term we should be ok but we do need to find out. For the remainder of the season the mix needs to be Bontempelli, Treloar, Richards, Garcia, Sanders, West and Liberatore. I think we bite the bullet and play Gallagher exclusively on the wing and potentially play Freijah on the opposite wing later in the year.

The forward was well, just going. Cannot be too harsh on them with who was missing.

Hopefully we can regroup for next week otherwise Fremantle will put us to the sword through the middle of the ground just like the lions did.

I am somewhat not too fazed with the result last night as it is becoming clearer each week the way we want to play and the changing of the guard.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 05:02 PM
I went along last night as I do to each home game.

By far last night was the most lethargic we have been all season.

We were well and truly beaten in all areas of the game. Lions were tougher in the contest, quicker in transition and overall more polished. It was very noticeable how bigger and more athletic both Daniher and Hipwood were and they took advantage. All game we were out numbered when the ball hit the ground, when the ball was in transition and where the ball ended up either in our 50 or their 50.

Purely from a numbers perspective you could argue that Dale and Treloar had solid games but for mine they did not impact the game. Liam Jones game also hard to judge, a heap of intercept marks, but clearly had goals kicked on him. Last night again reinforced how slow both Jones and Keath are when the ball is on the ground within a 1 to 2 meter radius - it is like they are on an ice rink. Coupled with Bramble we can be very shaky when the ball is in our defensive 30 meters.

A lot of angst towards Lobb but for mine English had just as much impact on the game - sweet FA.

Only Bontempelli and Ugle-Hagan looked likely to win the game for us. Bontempelli was scragged all night, he got a little help from his teammates but nothing from the umpires - but still managed 19 and 3 quality goals. Williams and Duryea won their positions which is huge considering the onslaught inside D50.

For mine our back 6/7 for the remainder of the year needs to be Jones, Williams, JOD, Dale, Freijah, Busslinger/Khamis, Cleary /Coffield.

Freijah needs to back himself a bit more he has the tools to provide run and carry which I am sure will come. He does remind me of an ex Eagle Andrew Embley. Surprised no one else has made that connection ;)

Our inside mids had a night to forget. Longer term we should be ok but we do need to find out. For the remainder of the season the mix needs to be Bontempelli, Treloar, Richards, Garcia, Sanders, West and Liberatore. I think we bite the bullet and play Gallagher exclusively on the wing and potentially play Freijah on the opposite wing later in the year.

The forward was well, just going. Cannot be too harsh on them with who was missing.

Hopefully we can regroup for next week otherwise Fremantle will put us to the sword through the middle of the ground just like the lions did.

I am somewhat not too fazed with the result last night as it is becoming clearer each week the way we want to play and the changing of the guard.

Good summary Aza. We played 9 players with less than 50 games under their belt to BL 5. I know that is not the ball game, but BL did look stronger and faster than us.

DOG GOD
08-06-2024, 06:13 PM
Can?t come soon enough. Good game to make his debut. Freo forwards are ok without being outstanding

Any teams fwds can be outstanding against our backline. Look at Hipwood for instance.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-06-2024, 09:43 PM
I?m not sure why ?in hindsight? we blame the midfield group but we don?t make any changes until 10 minutes left in the game.
Surly the coaching group can see that Buku sitting on the bench would have helped out the back 6 and allowed further moves to benifotbyhw side

We need to not be so stubborn and be more flexible. This was sto a get table game at 1-2 time but unfortunately at 3/4 time it was not

JanLorMill
09-06-2024, 12:13 AM
I?m not sure why ?in hindsight? we blame the midfield group but we don?t make any changes until 10 minutes left in the game.
Surly the coaching group can see that Buku sitting on the bench would have helped out the back 6 and allowed further moves to benifotbyhw side

We need to not be so stubborn and be more flexible. This was sto a get table game at 1-2 time but unfortunately at 3/4 time it was not
How does putting in a defender or forward help the midfield? The midfield that played was all we had available.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 12:23 AM
How does putting in a defender or forward help the midfield? The midfield that played was all we had available.

Agree, midfield got smashed last night - Clearances, Cont Poss was all one way.

Grantysghost
09-06-2024, 09:06 AM
Agree, midfield got smashed last night - Clearances, Cont Poss was all one way.
Made me realise how big a loss Dunks was and how ripped off we got because the players can choose clubs.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2024, 09:26 AM
Made me realise how big a loss Dunks was and how ripped off we got because the players can choose clubs.

Don’t read here or the media in October…

EasternWest
09-06-2024, 09:42 AM
Don’t read here or the media in October…

I'll read both because we'll be ridding ourselves of Smith, Lobb and English and the way forward will become clearer.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2024, 10:03 AM
I'll read both because we'll be ridding ourselves of Smith, Lobb and English and the way forward will become clearer.

Don’t think it will stop at those either, at least CD and maybe Macrae might be elsewhere too. And I’m increasingly worried Lobb won’t have a trade that’s remotely acceptable. His form is a future fourth and most salary paid. He can play VFL for us if that’s the case.

Grantysghost
09-06-2024, 11:10 AM
It's pretty annoying having players keeping the club in the dark this far along in the year.

We are 16 weeks from October.

Edit : 17 weeks and 1 day to start of trade week.

SonofScray
09-06-2024, 02:47 PM

That element of trades needs to be sorted. Take it away from the players.

D Mitchell
09-06-2024, 02:58 PM
Good summary Aza. We played 9 players with less than 50 games under their belt to BL 5. I know that is not the ball game, but BL did look stronger and faster than us.
Lohmann, Fletcher, Reveille and Morris, who was the 5th ? At the beginning of the season, Brisbane's list included 21 players with fewer than 50, 'Dogs 22. Brisbane players broke tackles at will (no stats on that) so injuries may have forced selection of physically weaker players.

D Mitchell
09-06-2024, 03:25 PM
Keath, Jones, O'Donnell are all intercept defenders. Hipwell and Daniher scored goals outbodying them. One for Sam Power and Dom Milesi, do we cop the odd loss or do we look for a body-on-body defender, like Melbourne's May who is good at both ? ESPN stats have a column headed 1%, which I assume means 1 per centers i e second efforts, shepherds, work off the ball etc. Our best by a street was Jones on 9, next O'Donnell on 6, Bont on 5. I came away from the game assessing O'Donnell as having had a good game but Ugle-Hagan very poor after quarter time. Their stats are identical save that of their mutual 8 disposals, O'Donnell's included an extra handball and 1 fewer kick. Under 1 % it's 6 and 1. Therein lies a story.

D Mitchell
09-06-2024, 03:29 PM

Bolded bit. Couldn't agree more.

FrediKanoute
10-06-2024, 10:45 PM
Keath, Jones, O'Donnell are all intercept defenders. Hipwell and Daniher scored goals outbodying them. One for Sam Power and Dom Milesi, do we cop the odd loss or do we look for a body-on-body defender, like Melbourne's May who is good at both ? ESPN stats have a column headed 1%, which I assume means 1 per centers i e second efforts, shepherds, work off the ball etc. Our best by a street was Jones on 9, next O'Donnell on 6, Bont on 5. I came away from the game assessing O'Donnell as having had a good game but Ugle-Hagan very poor after quarter time. Their stats are identical save that of their mutual 8 disposals, O'Donnell's included an extra handball and 1 fewer kick. Under 1 % it's 6 and 1. Therein lies a story.

Work rate. JUH when he is on is amazing, but that work rate and effort sometimes isn't there.