PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 13 vs Brisbane 2024

GVGjr
06-06-2024, 08:56 AM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R13 encounter against Brisbane.

GVGjr
07-06-2024, 10:26 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
07-06-2024, 10:45 PM
1. I learned I don’t know if this game & Hawks was the rule or exception or if the last few weeks were
2. Daniel is shot as a footballer with us
3. Lobb is a bust. I knew it, but might not have the clubs calling any more. He might be ours for two more years

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2024, 10:50 PM
1. This loss tells us the importance of starting the year well. We have no room for performances like these because of our early form. Next week vs Freo is almost season in the line, and we'll still be without many players.

2.Daniel really is at the crossroads. If I were his manager I'd be hot on the phone..

3. The game is so unenjoyable. I knew that already, but it gets worse by the year as a spectacle.

macca
07-06-2024, 11:24 PM
McNeil and West's poster needed to be converted

These are the big moments where they nedd to score.

lemmon
07-06-2024, 11:32 PM
1. We're desperate for small forwards - West, McNeil and Laith had no impact. We really need someone to stand up and make that spot their own alongside Cody

2. Jones needs help. He's at his best zoning off and flying in the air, but I think that requires a reliable, athletic key back partner to give him a chop out. Keath doesn't have the legs - play Busslinger

3. I've been a huge Caleb Daniel fan and have thought some of the criticism has been unwarranted this year. But deciding to take on that advantage in the forward pocket was such a horrendous decision and I think reflects a guy whose mindset around footy must be pretty scrambled right now. I really like Caleb as a character, so hope he and the club can find a way back from this.

Happy Days
07-06-2024, 11:40 PM
1. That effort from the small forwards was completely unacceptable and they’ve shaken my confidence after a really good month collectively. I understand that without Naughton and Darcy the opportunities aren’t as clean but it felt like we didn’t score from ground level the whole night. And to have 2 i50 tackles for nearly 3 quarters is horrendous.

2. We were treacle in the middle tonight. I’m worried about Libba being impactful, like, at all if he doesn’t win first possession and think we maybe possibly potentially might be better with Richards in there instead of him.

3. Hipwood. Piss off man. Why in the actual hell was JOD (as okay-to-good as his game up forward was) not moved back onto him after goal 3 or so.

jazzadogs
08-06-2024, 12:30 AM
1. The inequities of the fixture are one of the most frustrating parts of following AFL. Why are we playing a team off a bye? There were four teams with a bye last week - play them against each other and negate the advantage. This week only port and Freo have a bye, but somehow we cop Freo after their nice little rest. It seems pretty simple? (And this is not to mention the fact that there are 6 teams who will have had two byes before us, Hawthorn, Saints and Crows have had one!)

2. The inconsistency of umpiring is even more frustrating than the fixture! The new interpretation videos are clear as mud, and it shows in the way the umpires are interpreting it. I complained about it last week, and I will continue to complain about it because it frankly makes the game unwatchable and unenjoyable. Some of the decisions made in front of the members wing tonight were deplorable.

3. Given points one and two and our injury list, I'm not actually that down on the coaches and players tonight. I felt like they did battle as hard as they could - I often saw players with heads down busting their guts to get back - but we were just fatigued after a gruelling month of footy. You can't afford to lose games when you're full strength because it gives you no wriggle room when you have injuries/things stacked against you.

SquirrelGrip
08-06-2024, 12:32 AM
1. If I spun a game show wheel, I’d have as much idea as what decision the umpires are going to say when they blow their whistle. I feel quite incompetent as a spectator not knowing what will happen after each whistle.

2. It’s Busslinger time.

3. Libba might be done.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 12:35 AM
3. Libba might be done.

My mate at the game said the same thing. He said Libba has not been that good this year

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 12:37 AM
My mate at the game said the same thing. He said Libba has not been that good this year
His replacement was playing for the other mob

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 12:44 AM
1. The umpires have no idea what they are doing with the new HTB rule. Does any other sport change a rule in the middle of a season? We were definitely on the wrong end of it again tonight. Just confusion.

2. The Lions are still a very good football team. I don't how they managed to play so many bad games up until the half way point of the season. The bye obviously came at a good time for them. Neale, McCluggage, Dunkley, Zorko, Daniher, Rayner, Cameron, Bailey, Andrews - they have lots of top end talent.

3. We looked low on energy and tired. I have no doubt last few weeks have taken their toll. Playing games with our rotation numbers down, copping injuries and then copping a team coming off a rest magnifed it.

westbulldog
08-06-2024, 12:48 AM
1.McNeil and Vandermeer are reasonable VFL players only.
2.It is a waste of time persisting with the likes of Keath, Daniel, Bramble , McNeil , Vandermeer and Lobb.
3.When Hipwood kicks 5 you know you are in trouble.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 12:50 AM
1.McNeil and Vandermeer are reasonable VFL players only.
2.It is a waste of time persisting with the likes of Keath, Daniel, Bramble , McNeil , Vandermeer and Lobb.
3.When Hipwood kicks 5 you know you are in trouble.

When he kicks 6 you are up s%&# creek without a paddle.

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 12:55 AM
1 - It might take a couple of weeks for Libba to settle back in given he has adjusted his approach around contests somewhat.
2 - Jones is more amazing than I thought.
3 - I'd say we will have another debuting player next week.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 01:23 AM
1 - It might take a couple of weeks for Libba to settle back in given he has adjusted his approach around contests somewhat.
2 - Jones is more amazing than I thought.
3 - I'd say we will have another debuting player next week.

Who is your guess?

GVGjr
08-06-2024, 01:25 AM
Who is your guess?

Busslinger might replace Keath. It's either him or Khamis.

jeemak
08-06-2024, 01:32 AM
1. We should have played Libba in the twos first week back after multiple concussions. We have seen with many players coming back after one week off post concussion (let alone two concussions and multiple weeks) getting into the game is difficult. If we have tried to adjust how Libba plays then he should have been given a week at the lower level to get used to it, and we should have kept going with our reserve midfield variations that have delivered the past week or so.

2. Life can be tough with three of your best genuine forwards out when things are going OK, but without supply that's clean and frequent whoever's left doesn't stand a chance against a fresh team.

3. Not really a learning, but changing rules so drastically mid-season is always going to make things difficult for everyone actually on the field trying to play the game. How the changes can be applied with such polarity over a couple of weeks in a row is a bit of a mystery to me, but what do you do?

Sedat
08-06-2024, 01:46 AM
3. Hipwood. Piss off man.
Had a real spring in his step tonight - maybe he was buoyed by McLuggage re-committing long term?

1. We don't have the depth yet to cover a number of key structural injuries and high-end talent.
2. We legit savagely missed an 18-gamer tonight.
3. At 3-5, we would have all gladly signed off on 7-7 at the bye - I suspect we held Richards back an extra week to have him cherry ripe for a critical role in midfield next week, and also ensured Libba was better for the run (he was understandably rusty). Win next week and we are in good shape with Naughts and Cody to come back after the bye (Harmes and Coffield potentially as well).

jeemak
08-06-2024, 02:02 AM
Hipwood is as silly as it sounds (given he is going to be 27 by year's end), a forward still developing with his best football ahead of him and he's already a very dangerous footballer.

Neither Jones or Keath at this stage of their respective careers are good one on one defenders and he rightfully exposed both of them in lieu of the supply he received.

We need a big lockdown defender pronto.

SonofScray
08-06-2024, 02:05 AM
1. We’ve got that 2015 vulnerable to the counter punch thing going again. Prefer that to the 2021 capitulate and let the ball out the front of the stoppage game though.

2. Intent to play a physically robust game looks evident again, but ability to execute not quite at the same level. Frustrating, but not as demoralising as previous when the intent wasn’t there.

3. The actual game of footy is stuffed.

Rocket Science
08-06-2024, 02:16 AM
Somebody's neighbour's cousin's mate declared Libba is cooked after a month out with a dodgy scone so we may as well turn him into fertilizer sorry I don't make the rules.

Libba battling in his first game back since having his melon sliced open is about #39 on the list of reasons we breathed life into Brisbane's season tonight.

Dry Rot
08-06-2024, 03:22 AM
I applaud our bold forward entry strategy of bombing the ball in to wherever Andrews was. I was really surprised it didn't work.

I applaud Bramble taking a significant number of kick ins. After all, he is our best kick.

I applaud the consistent judgement of the umpires, who at one stage had awarded 20–5 free kicks to the Lions.

merantau
08-06-2024, 07:11 AM
I applaud our bold forward entry strategy of bombing the ball in to wherever Andrews was. I was really surprised it didn't work.

I applaud Bramble taking a significant number of kick ins. After all, he is our best kick.

I applaud the consistent judgement of the umpires, who at one stage had awarded 20–5 free kicks to the Lions.

I've always enjoyed sarcasm.

Bullies
08-06-2024, 09:06 AM
1. We can't play Libber, Sanders, Daniel and Macrae in the same team.

2. No more McNeill - please.

3. The youngsters need a spell and it can't come quick enough. These guys once they get to 50 games will be alright.

Bullies
08-06-2024, 09:10 AM
Somebody's neighbour's cousin's mate declared Libba is cooked after a month out with a dodgy scone so we may as well turn him into fertilizer sorry I don't make the rules.

Libba battling in his first game back since having his melon sliced open is about #39 on the list of reasons we breathed life into Brisbane's season tonight. In saying that when Libba wasn't playing and we had Richards in the middle we were so much more unpredictable and quicker out of the middle.

jazzadogs
08-06-2024, 09:19 AM

And decision maker!

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 09:27 AM

Libba battling in his first game back since having his melon sliced open is about #39 on the list of reasons we breathed life into Brisbane's season tonight.

What if some of us thought this before he was out but were so scared of it being true that we didn’t want to say anything.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 09:39 AM
What if some of us thought this before he was out but were so scared of it being true that we didn’t want to say anything.
I'm quietly thinking this.

SlimPickens
08-06-2024, 09:40 AM
1. We should not be bending over backwards to keep Tim English.

2. We looked fatigued this week, wasn’t surprised considering the efforts over the last few weeks.

3. Coping Brissy off the bye is very frustrating. The inequity in the AFL fixture this year will cost teams finals. The “Opening Round” teams have a massive advantage.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 09:49 AM
1. Long layoff with concussion, you can't come straight back in to AFL level and expect to match it with the best. The free kicks given away were also very out of character.

2. Seasonal attrition of troops is a bigger factor than ever.

3. The HTB knee jerk is a bit of an embarrassment.

JanLorMill
08-06-2024, 10:00 AM
What if some of us thought this before he was out but were so scared of it being true that we didn?t want to say anything.
If it?s true that we can say Libba had a career.
I?m more worried about Richards who was blossoming.

macca
08-06-2024, 10:39 AM
Hipwood is as silly as it sounds (given he is going to be 27 by year's end), a forward still developing with his best football ahead of him and he's already a very dangerous footballer.

Neither Jones or Keath at this stage of their respective careers are good one on one defenders and he rightfully exposed both of them in lieu of the supply he received.

We need a big lockdown defender pronto.

Fagan mentioned in one of the interviews post game, that 6 goals was good, but wished he had turned up at the Hawthorn game with the same.
He did beat Jones on a 1-1 , which is very telling that the talent is there. Unfortunately, these inconsistent football types just seem to kick bags against us.