PDA

View Full Version : AFL Game Day R13

GVGjr
06-06-2024, 09:07 AM
Lets keep all the non Bulldog vs Lions discussion to this thread.

Thursday
Adelaide vs Richmond

Saturday
Hawthorn vs GWS
West Coast vs North Melbourne
St Kilda vs Gold Coast

Sunday
Sydney vs Geelong
Essendon vs Carlton

Monday
Collingwood vs Melbourne

Bye
Fremantle and Port Power

Grantysghost
06-06-2024, 10:18 PM
Are the Crows trying to get Nicks sacked?

Grantysghost
06-06-2024, 10:19 PM
Lets keep all the non Bulldog vs Lions discussion to this thread.

Thursday
Adelaide vs Richmond

Saturday
Hawthorn vs GWS
West Coast vs North Melbourne
St Kilda vs Gold Coast

Sunday
Sydney vs Geelong
Essendon vs Carlton

Monday
Collingwood vs Melbourne

Bye
Fremantle and Port Melbourne

They've had a bye every week.

bornadog
06-06-2024, 10:32 PM
Richmond looking the better side

angelopetraglia
06-06-2024, 11:30 PM
The Crows are probably the most disappointing team of the year so far. That was just putrid tonight.

Grantysghost
06-06-2024, 11:37 PM
The Crows are probably the most disappointing team of the year so far. That was just putrid tonight.
Absolutely. Dawson must be thinking wtf did I leave the Swans for!

Rachele and Jones two top tens looking pretty average.

They were so slow to move it out of defence and when they eventually moved it they turned it over with regularity. Painful.

angelopetraglia
07-06-2024, 09:36 AM
Matthew Nicks

2020 - 3 wins. 18th.
2021 - 7 wins. 15th.
2022 - 8 wins. 14th.
2023 - 11 wins. 10th.
2024 - 4 wins. 14th. (After 13 games).

Five years. No finals.

Current coaches whose team have not played a final.

Nicks 95 games
Mitchell 57 games
Yze 13 games

Most games in history, never played a final. History says you you don't get that much longer.

Alex Hall 155 games
Robert Shaw 130 games
Alan Richardson 127 games
Alan Killigrew 124 games
Bob Skilton 123 games
Stuart Dew 121 games
Paddy Scanlan 118 games
Matthew Nicks 95 games

mjp
07-06-2024, 09:52 AM
Absolutely. Dawson must be thinking wtf did I leave the Swans for!

...then he checks his bank balance and thinks to himself, "yeah, life is gooooooood!".

The Adelaide Connection
07-06-2024, 12:06 PM
...then he checks his bank balance and thinks to himself, "yeah, life is gooooooood!".

Might have timed the Adelaide property market pretty well if he bought straight away too.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 05:12 PM
Great game in Launceston. Hawks by 5 points v GWS with 7 min to play

bornadog
08-06-2024, 05:23 PM
1 min to go, scores level, and GWS give a free kick down field and Hawks kick goal

G-Mo77
08-06-2024, 05:26 PM
That's a shame. Hahaha

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 05:27 PM
Another game ruined by these star****ers. If you wanted to influence games then maybe you should’ve been good enough to actually play it.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 05:32 PM
That was just a bump to pressure the kicker, bad bad decision. You're allowed to bump and allowed to pursue the kicker.

G-Mo77
08-06-2024, 05:46 PM
I actually thought it was there. Seemed late to me.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 05:49 PM
What is the actual rule i have nfi.

Bumping is legal. It wasn't in the back or high. Does the ball need to be within a certain distance?

Edit: it's 5 metres. So that's the question.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 06:44 PM

Always a fine line those ones

jazzadogs
08-06-2024, 06:46 PM

It's almost deliberate from the AFL now to make the rules so unclear that every single decision can be justified.

You could definitely argue that was a free kick.
You could definitely argue that it was play on.

How goods footy!

merantau
08-06-2024, 07:11 PM
I was very surprised by that decision. I was cursing Scicily for hooking the kick so badly.

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 07:36 PM
It’s just so easy to not pay that. You ask people to commit themselves to supporting teams to make this whole shit work and yet every week there’s a free kick in the last minute of a close game that totally defeats the purpose of watching the two hours before it. Fix it!

mighty_west
08-06-2024, 07:41 PM
Always a fine line those ones

That's it, which shows why many decisions are inconsistent, some umps pay that late and others let it go.

bornadog
08-06-2024, 07:44 PM
That's it, which shows why many decisions are inconsistent, some umps pay that late and others let it go.
Some pay down field and others from where the player kicked it

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 08:11 PM
Another one.

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 08:12 PM
These dorks are ruining the best thing in the world.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 08:20 PM
Wtf was that decision against Yeoh.

Man we have a massive issue with umpiring this htb rule. That's cost the West Coast of Australia the game. My advice to players, don't pick up the ball.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 08:21 PM
BTW MJP can you do the lotto numbers. Lets get a syndicate going.

chef
08-06-2024, 08:22 PM
The AFL and the umpires are destroying the game.

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 08:23 PM
We should just decide the winner before the game and then also not actually play the games.

macca
08-06-2024, 08:24 PM
Wtf was that decision against Yeoh.

Man we have a massive issue with umpiring this htb rule. That's cost the West Coast of Australia the game. My advice to players, don't pick up the ball.

And this is where the AFL game is now becoming unwatchable.
Players don't hit the ground , to try to get first possession of the ball because fear of:
1. headhit their opponent
2. Tunnelling
3. Penalised for "prior" opportunity. This one is ridiculous as it is up to the umpire's interpretation.

Players now literal stand, and bend over and try to pickup. It is massive strain on hamstrings. Its like watching a flock of flamingos

I hate what the game has become now and the subjectivity it leaves to the umpires.

Sedat
08-06-2024, 08:25 PM
West Coast really, really need a ruckman

bornadog
08-06-2024, 08:27 PM
Hands off English

bulldogtragic
08-06-2024, 08:46 PM
Hands off English

They can afford stupid money. My guess is they’ve offered it and that’s why Tim is holding off further talks/accepting our offer (per reports).

You might need to find a new favourite player.

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 08:52 PM
If Suns don’t win this I don’t want to hear about them as a real football team for the rest of the year.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 09:07 PM
Haha. English is reaaaaaalllly dragging it out. I'm getting less and less confident.

Smith and English gone would call for another review.
Have we got Peter Jackson on retainer.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-06-2024, 10:29 PM
And this is where the AFL game is now becoming unwatchable.
Players don't hit the ground , to try to get first possession of the ball because fear of:
1. headhit their opponent
2. Tunnelling
3. Penalised for "prior" opportunity. This one is ridiculous as it is up to the umpire's interpretation.

Players now literal stand, and bend over and try to pickup. It is massive strain on hamstrings. Its like watching a flock of flamingos

I hate what the game has become now and the subjectivity it leaves to the umpires.

You want to talk about unwatchable. 2 games today (one on right now) have been absolutely putrid.

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 10:55 PM
Another one. Could we just have one game this week not completely ruined by these wankers.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-06-2024, 10:55 PM
Umps just ruined another ending haha

bulldogtragic
08-06-2024, 10:59 PM
What this time?

bulldogsthru&thru
08-06-2024, 11:00 PM
What this time?

A nothing holding free almost on the goal square to Max King to give the saints a 3 pt lead and win the game. Saints pretty much only kicked 2 goals in the 2nd half.

The holding call was off the ball too. Like 2min left in the game. King and the suns defender were both jostling. Ball wasn't being kicked to King. How the ump picked out a free just for King is baffling.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 11:00 PM
Mac Andrew, i think after that you want to come play for the Dogs.

Happy Days
08-06-2024, 11:03 PM
So that’s three games today with a team having the lead taken off them by a rubbish free kick inside the last two minutes.

Good thing we all know that the umpires aren’t in it to influence results because otherwise we’d have to ask some questions.

angelopetraglia
08-06-2024, 11:03 PM
Another game decided by an umpire mistake. In a game where seven goals is enough to win, how do you get a free kick for incidental contact, 100m off the ball, 20m in front of goal when both players were doing the same thing with a couple of minutes left on the clock in a nail biter. It?s laughable.

chef
08-06-2024, 11:05 PM
It's not sport anyone, its just manipulated entertainment. AFL is pretty crap nowadays, local footy is where it's at.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2024, 11:06 PM
A nothing holding free almost on the goal square to Max King to give the saints a 3 pt lead and win the game. Saints pretty much only kicked 2 goals in the 2nd half.

The AFEL only exists for fans/members love of the clubs. The spectacle itself it a shit product by and large now. But they don’t seem to care, so I guess we all suck up some more BS when they make more changes not for the better.

I feel for the umpires with all the rule changes, but something has got to give. The standard of umpiring seems to be going backwards be it some games this year killed at the death by field umpires, or the goal umpire killing the Crows season last year.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-06-2024, 11:12 PM
The AFEL only exists for fans/members love of the clubs. The spectacle itself it a shit product by and large now. But they don’t seem to care, so I guess we all suck up some more BS when they make more changes not for the better.

I feel for the umpires with all the rule changes, but something has got to give. The standard of umpiring seems to be going backwards be it some games this year killed at the death by field umpires, or the goal umpire killing the Crows season last year.

I used to feel for the umpires but not any more. These guys can't help themselves. They're actively looking for something to call. You'd almost believe they get paid per call they make.

I can't watch this shit product anymore. This round has been absolutely tripe. People only watch in Vic because the weather sucks.

Grantysghost
08-06-2024, 11:16 PM
It's not sport anyone, its just manipulated entertainment. AFL is pretty crap nowadays, local footy is where it's at.

I went to watch my nephew play rep footy for the Essendon League today. Enjoyed it immensly.

There was no race the rocket at 3/4 time i was so confused.

The AFL has been slipping as a product for a while, this knee jerk rule change mid season because a coach had a sook is WWE stuff.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2024, 11:21 PM
I used to feel for the umpires but not any more. These guys can't help themselves. They're actively looking for something to call. You'd almost believe they get paid per call they make.

I can't watch this shit product anymore. This round has been absolutely tripe. People only watch in Vic because the weather sucks.

I’ve pretty much stopped watching non dogs games this year. It’s just a shit product. Like blending all the crap ever changing rules of a domestic T20 comp but with old school Pakistani umpiring inspired by bookmakers. Administered by the most hated politicians (overpaid, under qualified, self serving sewer rats). With lots of token gestures towards serious issues it actually has players/coaches contributing to.

If the dogs ceased to exist, I just would not watch the AFEL again. Not sure about football now even, more the ‘tap it on’ league seeing as no one wants to get the ball for being penalised with rule changes on the run. But we have a world class ‘tap the ball along the ground’ comp now. So that’s something I guess.

Sedat
08-06-2024, 11:24 PM
So that’s three games today with a team having the lead taken off them by a rubbish free kick inside the last two minutes.

Good thing we all know that the umpires aren’t in it to influence results because otherwise we’d have to ask some questions.
Plenty of #CoNtEnT this week for the AFEL. The talkback switchboards are already lighting up on SEN.

Manufactured umpiring controversy is not a bug, it is a design feature of the AFEL modus operandi. Endless media coverage will ensue - sponsors and stakeholders are licking their lips.

macca
08-06-2024, 11:24 PM
I?ve pretty much stopped watching non dogs games this year. It?s just a shit product. Like blending all the crap ever changing rules of a domestic T20 comp but with old school Pakistani umpiring inspired by bookmakers. Administered by the most hated politicians (overpaid, under qualified, self serving sewer rats). With lots of token gestures towards serious issues it actually has players/coaches contributing to.

If the dogs ceased to exist, I just would not watch the AFEL again. Not sure about football now even, more the ?tap it on? league seeing as no one wants to get the ball for being penalised with rule changes on the run. But we have a world class ?tap the ball along the ground? comp now. So that?s something I guess.

bt, well said. I feel the same way with opposition games. It is my loyalty for the doggies I watch footy still.

3rd quarter, 5 mins to go, doggies had 5-20 frees vs Lions
finished up 16-24 count.

HTF is that possible we gain 11 frees in in 1 quarter and 5 mins
first half 7 htb against us.

If that is not blatant cheating.

I am done watching AFL footy, cannot even be bothered watching the highlights anymore.

AEFL city hall clowns have contorted the rules and complicating everything now.

Players are not rewarded when they win the footy first now.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 12:21 AM
Well I started this thread in 2007 and finally I am getting support form my fellow posters.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?229-Are-You-Sick-Of-The-Afl-Changing-Rules-Every-Year&highlight=sick+and+tired

The AFL have tried very hard to ruin the game and the umpires have followed suit.

azabob
09-06-2024, 09:43 AM
Well I started this thread in 2007 and finally I am getting support form my fellow posters.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?229-Are-You-Sick-Of-The-Afl-Changing-Rules-Every-Year&highlight=sick+and+tired

The AFL have tried very hard to ruin the game and the umpires have followed suit.

30 pages would suggest you have had support!

azabob
09-06-2024, 07:09 PM
Grundy will not get the votes or plaudits but he single handed got the swans back into the game against Geelong in the second quarter.

Sedat
09-06-2024, 07:48 PM
Grundy will not get the votes or plaudits but he single handed got the swans back into the game against Geelong in the second quarter.
Not bad value at $600k a year for the team he is playing for. It hurts to see him smashing it when he was available for every club 18 months ago. Would have also saved valuable bandwidth on this site not talking about Lobb instead.

JanLorMill
09-06-2024, 09:40 PM
De Konning pushing around Goldstein. 2 years younger than English.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 09:56 PM

Goldstein 20 HO, de koning 8

jazzadogs
09-06-2024, 10:07 PM

I've also seen Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy take ruck contests for the Blues. Very #BevoBall.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 10:20 PM
I've also seen Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy take ruck contests for the Blues. Very #BevoBall.

Has Carlton not got a second ruck for support?

bulldogtragic
09-06-2024, 10:25 PM

They used to use McKay.

azabob

McKay is the second ruck.

Normally Pitonet is their first ruck but he is injured.

Will be interesting what they do come finals.

JanLorMill
Watch the game or the stats? Carlton were over 30 in front mainly because of DeKonning. Went off and the game changed.

JanLorMill
09-06-2024, 10:26 PM
They used to use McKay.
They used Cripps

JanLorMill
09-06-2024, 10:32 PM
DeKonning is smashing Goldstein. Do you get HO stats for grabbing it out of the ruck and sending it forward?

azabob
09-06-2024, 10:37 PM
Yeah it looks like Carlton have done well getting Elijah Hollands for not much.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2024, 10:38 PM

Someone had to rip off GCS last year.

JanLorMill
09-06-2024, 10:59 PM
We got Bramble for nothing.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2024, 11:09 PM
Someone had to rip off GCS last year.

Everyone has had a turn except us

Grantysghost
09-06-2024, 11:13 PM
Everyone has had a turn except us
They ripped us off (Harbrow)

Sedat
09-06-2024, 11:27 PM
The folly of cherry-picking stats to suit a narrative. De Koning was BOG by a long way tonight. He had a stack of stoppage and centre clearances himself, which was critical to Carlton's win tonight.

bornadog
09-06-2024, 11:43 PM

Watch the game or the stats? Carlton were over 30 in front mainly because of DeKonning. Went off and the game changed.

You said Dekoning pushing around Goldstein yet Goldy with 35 HO to 19.

De Kong beat him around the ground - agree with that.

whythelongface
10-06-2024, 01:44 AM
The folly of cherry-picking stats to suit a narrative. De Koning was BOG by a long way tonight. He had a stack of stoppage and centre clearances himself, which was critical to Carlton's win tonight.

De Koning was very good. Would love to have him.

Essendon won’t make finals.

JanLorMill
10-06-2024, 05:35 AM
You said Dekoning pushing around Goldstein yet Goldy with 35 HO to 19.

De Kong beat him around the ground - agree with that.
Since when do taps equal pushed around stats? Look at clearances, second efforts etc as well. What’s the stat for being aggressive at the contest?

bornadog
10-06-2024, 10:37 AM

Since when do taps equal pushed around stats? Look at clearances, second efforts etc as well. What’s the stat for being aggressive at the contest?

What folly - I was answering a statement that De Koning PUSHED Goldstein around.

Clearances were 11 to 9, CP 17 to 11. centre Clearances were 6 to 5 in favour of DK, Stoppage C, 5/4 - hardly a thrashing in the ruck

I already said De Koning won around the ground.

JanLorMill
10-06-2024, 01:16 PM
What folly - I was answering a statement that De Koning PUSHED Goldstein around.

Clearances were 11 to 9, CP 17 to 11. centre Clearances were 6 to 5 in favour of DK, Stoppage C, 5/4 - hardly a thrashing in the ruck

I already said De Koning won around the ground.
I give up after this. No need for stats to say DeKonning was easily the best ruck on the ground.

mighty_west
10-06-2024, 02:54 PM
De Koning was very good. Would love to have him.

Essendon won’t make finals.

If only Terry had played an extra 69 games.

azabob
10-06-2024, 03:40 PM
Is Joel Selwood the most boring and vanilla going? He is almost robot like.

Happy Days
10-06-2024, 03:52 PM

Right down to the programming errors.

EasternWest
10-06-2024, 04:31 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/SsLTSKFs/images.webp (https://postimages.org/)

Am I a joke to you?

(Insert cliched catchphrase here)

Grantysghost
10-06-2024, 04:38 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/SsLTSKFs/images.webp (https://postimages.org/)

Am I a joke to you?

(Insert cliched catchphrase here)
Say that again

azabob
10-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Hahahahahahahahahah Pickett

azabob
10-06-2024, 06:08 PM
Hahahahahahahahahah Pickett

Sucked in again Pickett - you certainly are an A grade flog.

G-Mo77
10-06-2024, 06:16 PM
Look at all the blocks trying to free up Daicos. You can do this in every game with Friday night being the exception. Berry could not be touched.

bornadog
10-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Melbourne are in a world of pain. 4 goals for the game so far and 11 minutes left in the last quarter. They have won 1 game in the last 5

josie
10-06-2024, 06:44 PM
Not great seeing Petracca injured. I don’t like Dees but he is one of their few players I like.

What has happened to Oliver?

azabob
10-06-2024, 06:45 PM
Not great seeing Petracca injured. I don’t like Dees but he is one of their few players I like.

What has happened to Oliver?

I think Oliver offield dramas in the pre season are still with him

jeemak
10-06-2024, 06:50 PM
What did Pickett do?

Sedat
10-06-2024, 07:01 PM
Melbourne are like the worst version of us in 2022 and 2023. Dominate possession and territory, can't get it on the scoreboard, and then repeatedly get torched on the turnover.

jeemak
10-06-2024, 07:11 PM
Melbourne are like the worst version of us in 2022 and 2023. Dominate possession and territory, can't get it on the scoreboard, and then repeatedly get torched on the turnover.

Thus making them the best version of themselves.

Grantysghost
10-06-2024, 07:12 PM
Windsor is a ripper for the Demons. We might have missed one there.

azabob
10-06-2024, 07:15 PM
What did Pickett do?

Nothing other being standard Pickett

First one he kicked a good goal and then was overturned on a soft review - which I found bloody hilarious.

Second one he caught Jeremey Howe holding the ball and he does what he always does and gives Howe a little shove whilst Howe is still on the ground and then Howe shoves him back and Pickett flops (does not get the 50). Then he goes back and misses. Howe mouths off to him and all Pickett can do is flip the bird.

He really is my most disliked player in the league by some distance.

azabob
10-06-2024, 07:18 PM
Windsor is a ripper for the Demons. We might have missed one there.

Not surprising considering Melbourne talent picking ability.

At the moment he is playing more HB/ Wing which is an easier introduction than what Sanders is currently getting.

EasternWest
10-06-2024, 07:29 PM
Melbourne are in a world of pain. 4 goals for the game so far and 11 minutes left in the last quarter. They have won 1 game in the last 5

And they've still got 8 games before they get to play us again.

Grantysghost
10-06-2024, 07:39 PM
Not surprising considering Melbourne talent picking ability.

At the moment he is playing more HB/ Wing which is an easier introduction than what Sanders is currently getting.
He just moves so well and is a beautiful user of the footy. That wing role in so critical, i wonder if the Baz situation forced us into a bona fide mid. I'm still dark on the future first going to GC!

The Rypstra pick had me thinking Watson may have been the target all along. Guess we shall never know.

Happy with Sanders, he's a solid footballer i just worry we've paid overs.

hujsh
10-06-2024, 09:12 PM
He just moves so well and is a beautiful user of the footy. That wing role in so critical, i wonder if the Baz situation forced us into a bona fide mid. I'm still dark on the future first going to GC!

The Rypstra pick had me thinking Watson may have been the target all along. Guess we shall never know.

No way!
;)

GVGjr
10-06-2024, 09:22 PM

Not buying the O'Driscoll replacement theory?
I'm sure it was always a bit of a difficult decision between Watson and Sanders but it's unlikely we will ever know. I'm more than happy enough with Sanders.

Grantysghost
10-06-2024, 10:29 PM
Not buying the O'Driscoll replacement theory?
I'm sure it was always a bit of a difficult decision between Watson and Sanders but it's unlikely we will ever know. I'm more than happy enough with Sanders.
O"Driscoll was plan B for the Wiz!

Grantysghost
10-06-2024, 10:29 PM
No way!
;)

My conspicuous shame.