PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 17 VS Port Adelaide

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Sixteen match against North Melbourne for our Round Seventeen match against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Saturday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
28-06-2024, 09:20 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
29-06-2024, 06:04 PM
No change unless VDM ankle is an issue.

bornadog
29-06-2024, 06:24 PM
No change unless VDM ankle is an issue.

Duryea was listed as injured on the app, not sure if he was.

JanLorMill
29-06-2024, 06:35 PM
Garcia for Gallagher should be one.

Happy Days
29-06-2024, 06:59 PM
In: Harmes
Out: Harmes

ledge
29-06-2024, 08:06 PM
I would keep all the talls we will outstretch them, I can’t see a change except for injury.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-06-2024, 09:53 PM
No change but if Doc isn?t right it?s gonna start a whole lot of discussion around a debut for Buss

bornadog
29-06-2024, 10:20 PM
No change but if Doc isn?t right it?s gonna start a whole lot of discussion around a debut for Buss

With Lobb's performance, Buss will have to wait his turn

jeemak
29-06-2024, 11:03 PM
If you listen to Beveridge's recent press conferences it's clear we don't think Buss is quite ready, but are giving him some reinforcement by recently including him in the emergencies.

He's not far away.

The Adelaide Connection
29-06-2024, 11:23 PM
I know it?s a week out and these things usually aren?t that reliable- but there is rain forecast for Saturday in Adelaide

That makes sense- it ALWAYS rains when we play Port here.

So, yeah- going in with 800 talls may not be the best move.

NFI who you pull out. Darcy for Garcia?

EasternWest
29-06-2024, 11:28 PM
I know it?s a week out and these things usually aren?t that reliable- but there is rain forecast for Saturday in Adelaide

That makes sense- it ALWAYS rains when we play Port here.

So, yeah- going in with 800 talls may not be the best move.

NFI who you pull out. Darcy for Garcia?

Roarke Smith and Schache are the obvious ins.

Out: Harmes.

bornadog
29-06-2024, 11:45 PM
Duryea was listed as injured on the app, not sure if he was.
Bevo said Duryea will be fine, had a foot issue

Dogs 24/7
30-06-2024, 08:53 AM
Just interested in why Ugle-Hagan escapes a level of scrutiny with his form that others would get buried for in terms of match committee selection?
Is it because of his age or his potential or something else?
I was talking to a Crows supporter work mate on Friday who said Marra "Trent Hentschel's" our supporters and match committee.

azabob
30-06-2024, 09:57 AM
Just interested in why Ugle-Hagan escapes a level of scrutiny with his form that others would get buried for in terms of match committee selection?
I was talking to a Crows supporter work mate on Friday who said Marra "Trent Hentschel's" our supporters and match committee.

Say what now about Trent Hentschell?

ledge
30-06-2024, 10:12 AM

I think it’s due to his effort , it’s there he just had a bad day marking , he still stretches the backline even if he isn’t having a good day he still kicked a couple.
It could have been 4 or 5 .

Grantysghost
30-06-2024, 10:17 AM

He's always threatening, works his arse off and invariably hits the scoreboard. I mean he's still young and has only played 57 games and has 23 goals this season.

He dropped 2 marks he should've taken yesterday his hands were off however still kicked 2 and was unlucky with one on the line.
Ask him how Tilthorpe is going :cool:

Logan Mcdonald who went pick 4 after Marra has played in the best side this year and has less goals from more games.

What is the something else you are thinking?

bulldogtragic
30-06-2024, 10:20 AM
Say what now about Trent Hentschell?

From memory he was nicknamed Trent Potential. Just a tease of a player that would give a glimpse of excelling but ultimately not equal to the hype.

Then the poor bastard got one of the worst injuries I can remember.

Hotdog60
30-06-2024, 10:33 AM
Marra busted up from his girlfriend so may be having head or heart issues.

Dogs 24/7
30-06-2024, 10:55 AM
He's always threatening, works his arse off and invariably hits the scoreboard. I mean he's still young and has only played 57 games and has 23 goals this season.

He dropped 2 marks he should've taken yesterday his hands were off however still kicked 2 and was unlucky with one on the line.
Ask him how Tilthorpe is going :cool:

Logan Mcdonald who went pick 4 after Marra has played in the best side this year and has less goals from more games.

What is the something else you are thinking?

Work ethic should one of the non negotiable aspects of his game so working his arse off is what should be expected. While I'm not fussed about comparing him to players from other teams do we know if they escape criticism? I doubt they are on the same money.
Vandermeer works hard but cops it every time he comes up short and as a comparison they have both played nearly the same of games in terms of experience. Marra has unlimited potential but 2024 has been a somewhat underwhelming season for him and yet he is given more of a free pass based on his Trent Henschell potential. I know our WOOF members and club supporters are not going to place him under the same level of scrutiny that others might be and that's cool with me but from a MC perspective I think it's a healthy debate to have regardless of it's a popular one.

Stevo
30-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Marra busted up from his girlfriend so may be having head or heart issues.

Surely playing football would be a welcome distraction if that is the case. He was getting shitty with his team mates which is out of character so maybe there is something to it. He has been disappointing for the majority of the season though.

Happy Days
30-06-2024, 11:28 AM
Marra had a filthy game and still kicked two goals. He’s not going to drop three chest marks for the rest of his career, let alone in one game. Think we just forget about the whole thing.

hujsh
30-06-2024, 11:48 AM
I feel like I've seen a lot of this general 'Marra isn't getting criticised enough' sentiment so he probably is getting enough criticism when you factor in the normal criticism on top of that. If anything he seems to be a victim of people having warped expectations.

His development in terms of goals looks surprisingly linear. Per game he as averaged 1.1 in 2022, 1.5 in 2023 and currently 1.9 in 2024. Aside from 3 players no one averages much more than 2 goals a game. Hogan is next best on 2.4.

We have 4 players in this glut (Cody on 2.2, Naughton on 2 and Darcy on 1.9) which is great IMO as we're spreading the load and not looking one dimensional. If this is Marra having a poor year I can't wait to see what happens when he's in form. Just needs to up his accuracy a bit but it's far from unheard of (look at Naughts)

Go_Dogs
30-06-2024, 12:10 PM
Marra is going fine. He’s a much improved player and a few minor things with his execution could’ve turned a decent game into a very good one.

I’d bring in Harmes this week, need some speed and toughness especially if it’s going to be wet.

I’d give Gags a rest. He’s had a big year to date and while I think he’s being maligned because some prefer others get the opportunity, he’s made a few obvious errors the last few weeks.

Baker could be up for grabs - maybe Garcia? Haven’t checked the VFL thread yet.

Grantysghost
30-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Work ethic should one of the non negotiable aspects of his game so working his arse off is what should be expected. While I'm not fussed about comparing him to players from other teams do we know if they escape criticism? I doubt they are on the same money.
Vandermeer works hard but cops it every time he comes up short and as a comparison they have both played nearly the same of games in terms of experience. Marra has unlimited potential but 2024 has been a somewhat underwhelming season for him and yet he is given more of a free pass based on his Trent Henschell potential. I know our WOOF members and club supporters are not going to place him under the same level of scrutiny that others might be and that's cool with me but from a MC perspective I think it's a healthy debate to have regardless of it's a popular one.

Fair enough. I've been critical of him earlier in the season so he doesn't escape it from me. I thought he wasn't working hard enough to get into position.

He's really picked that up recently imo.

I'm ok with the debate, it's a good discussion wasn't meaning to shut it down just offering my view.

One improvement I've seen most recently is he is looking to share the ball with team mates more instead of going for the miracle goal.

Should we lower our expectations a little? He's not going to be Lance Franklin.

hujsh
30-06-2024, 02:15 PM
Fair enough. I've been critical of him earlier in the season so he doesn't escape it from me. I thought he wasn't working hard enough to get into position.

I'm ok with the debate, it's a good discussion wasn't meaning to shut it down just offering my view.

One improvement I've seen most recently is he is looking to share the ball with team mates more instead of going for the miracle goal.

There was one yesterday where he probably went too far in the other direction (bad pass when it was maybe worth a shot) but previously you're right he'd have just shot or tried to fend and run around and eventually got caught because he wanted a goal instead

Go_Dogs
30-06-2024, 03:18 PM

I rate this.

It’s natural that we often want the very early draft picks to be superstars, and many of them are, but only very few are the generational talents like Buddy was, that retire in the “best 20 to ever play the game” level.

Not saying many (any) are thinking that’s Marra’s trajectory here.

But it becomes a good question. Who do we expect Marra to be?

Grantysghost
30-06-2024, 04:31 PM
I rate this.

It’s natural that we often want the very early draft picks to be superstars, and many of them are, but only very few are the generational talents like Buddy was, that retire in the “best 20 to ever play the game” level.

Exactly right. You generally find when our expectations aren't being met frustration ensues and you'll get questions asked against that perception.

The reality is Marra is a 194 cm athletic forward who is a nightmare matchup and is getting better by the week.
He was very raw when he started having been drafted during the covid years so for him to be tracking along well at this stage is excellent news for us.
I just wish him well and hope he's a successful career unaffected by the weight of comparison and his rank as an u/18.

lemmon
30-06-2024, 05:00 PM
I rate this.

I've always felt his ceiling was a 'Brendan Fevola' type player. Can take sides apart and kick bags, mercurial on his day but there's also a decent gap between best and worst.

I think we're pretty harsh on him because his mistakes seem to be relatively simple ones - the dropped chest marks, the missed set shots or the simple ball handling errors. It's encouraging that as he matures and becomes more comfortable, they should be the things that are ironed out of his game. He's still managing to kick a couple of goals per game despite making a lot of pretty simple stuff-ups.

He does a lot of the hard stuff - the big contested grabs and the mercurial goals from the boundary. If he cleans up the simple stuff we're going to have a complete footballer.

Stevo
30-06-2024, 05:41 PM

Good points but I haven't read anything suggesting or taking an issue with him potentially earning top tier money from the game when that has been discussed. While we might be prepared to pay full market odds for his services at some point the market becomes a scale more than investing on potential and results will need to come.
If we should lower bar with him as some suggest he might never achieve what he is capable of. At the moment I grant that it's premature but unless he starts putting in some good games it will become a talking point.
I'm not comparing him to Buddy or anyone else as that wouldn't be fair but he's clearly out of form.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2024, 05:49 PM
Good points but I haven't read anything suggesting or taking an issue with him potentially earning top tier money from the game when that has been discussed. While we might be prepared to pay full market odds for his services at some point the market becomes a scale more than investing on potential and results will need to come.
If we should lower bar with him as some suggest he might never achieve what he is capable of. At the moment I grant that it's premature but unless he starts putting in some good games it will become a talking point.
I'm not comparing him to Buddy or anyone else as that wouldn't be fair but he's clearly out of form.

i am all in that Marra should never lower his expectation and he should always strive to improve.

However, as supporters we should be more inclined to accept what is delivered provided that we see him striving to be his best.

Stevo
30-06-2024, 05:53 PM
i am all in that Marra should never lower his expectation and he should always strive to improve.

However, as supporters we should be more inclined to accept what is delivered provided that we see him striving to be his best.

Good point and yesterday I don't we can fairly question his intent so the cards just didn't fall his way.
For a decent part of the season though it's harder not to ask the question.

D Mitchell
30-06-2024, 06:57 PM
Good point and yesterday I don't we can fairly question his intent so the cards just didn't fall his way.
For a decent part of the season though it's harder not to ask the question.
Can't agree. Lack of intent illustrated by failure to hold a single mark or lay a tackle. 2024 averages are 5 marks and 5 tackles. Worse than usual.

angelopetraglia
30-06-2024, 11:03 PM
So Dixon is out. Todd Marshall did his hammy today. Who are the tall Port Forwards? How many tall defenders do we need to play? Especially if it is wet (current foreast is for 60% chance of rain and windy).

Finlayson. Then who?

jeemak
30-06-2024, 11:16 PM
So Dixon is out. Todd Marshall did his hammy today. Who are the tall Port Forwards? How many tall defenders do we need to play? Especially if it is wet (current foreast is for 60% chance of rain and windy).

Finlayson. Then who?

Both Finlayson and Georgiades are capable of really hurting us because they're not small movement big forwards.

comrade
30-06-2024, 11:21 PM
I?m just hyped for English vs Sweet.

Hotdog60
30-06-2024, 11:26 PM

I hadn't thought about that match up good point. You would thing Sweet would want to prove something against English.

Happy Days
30-06-2024, 11:39 PM
English will wreck Sweet come on now. I get we all hate him now but he’s not *that* bad.

EasternWest
30-06-2024, 11:50 PM

I hadn't thought about that match up good point. You would thing Sweet would want to prove something against English.

English will wreck Sweet come on now. I get we all hate him now but he?s not *that* bad.

https://i.postimg.cc/KzVxF2Y7/tumblr-2340feedd8cf3fee083d2f263ccf45ad-929f5c6f-400.gif (https://postimages.org/)

jeemak
30-06-2024, 11:52 PM
English will wreck Sweet come on now. I get we all hate him now but he’s not *that* bad.

It's more about Sweet being amazing.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2024, 12:28 AM
How many boundary throw-ins will we see Timmy behind Sweet? That will depend on how many boundary throw-ins there are.

Grantysghost
01-07-2024, 09:41 AM
English will destroy sweet around the ground.

English can match Sweet at taps so I'm happy with our guy.

angelopetraglia
01-07-2024, 10:07 AM

Yes. He has to really make him pay with his endurance. Get forward and cash in. He just needs to break even at the contest.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2024, 10:47 AM
I don't believe Sweet's endurance is the thing, well it's not great but he works hard, which makes up for it.

His glarring weakness in how bad he is in a marking contest. Just has no idea. Particularly hurtful when his opponent goes forward, he struggles to be competitive at all. Last two weeks, Big O and RoMa (missed a sitter too) have both kicked 3 goals up against him whilst taking vast majority of ruck work.

Mantis
01-07-2024, 10:51 AM

Our guys wants a $1mil a year, their guy gets paid a pie & coke per game.

Happy Days
01-07-2024, 10:54 AM
Our guys wants a $1mil a year, their guy gets paid a pie & coke per game.

Maybe Timmy can buy him dinner after. Although pretty sure in the circumstances you’re meant to buy them dinner first.

Sedat
01-07-2024, 10:58 AM
I don't believe Sweet's endurance is the thing, well it's not great but he works hard, which makes up for it.

His glarring weakness in how bad he is in a marking contest. Just has no idea. Particularly hurtful when his opponent goes forward, he struggles to be competitive at all. Last two weeks, Big O and RoMa (missed a sitter too) have both kicked 3 goals up against him whilst taking vast majority of ruck work.
All the above is true, but some of his centre square tap work yesterday was, err, Sweet. In such a tight and low-scoring game, those pure clearances that resulted in goals are very important.

He is the type of opponent that English has traditionally dominated previously, but English is not really in the form to be dominating anyone at the moment. He absolutely needs to make a personal statement this week though, if for no other reason than to stop haemorrhaging $$$ off his next contract. He's been the anti-Stringer this season, actually lowering his value and underperforming in a lucrative contract year.

angelopetraglia
01-07-2024, 11:27 AM
How do we stop JHF? He was the difference late in the Saints game. He has taken his game to another level. We will need a plan to quell his influence.

Happy Days
01-07-2024, 11:30 AM
How do we stop JHF? He was the difference late in the Saints game. He has taken his game to another level. We will need a plan to quell his influence.

I know a guy that I think can get under his skin just by smiling at him. It definitely gets under *my* skin.

Axe Man
01-07-2024, 11:39 AM

Finlayson. Then who?

Both Finlayson and Georgiades are capable of really hurting us because they're not small movement big forwards.

They also have Ollie Lord.

lemmon
01-07-2024, 12:01 PM
They also have Ollie Lord.

I like Lobb for Lord. Feel like he has the size for Ollie but should be able to zone off and help out his other defenders.

I don't mind JOD on either Finlayson or Georgiades with Jones taking whichever is deepest/most dangerous.

angelopetraglia
01-07-2024, 12:07 PM
Port Goal Kickers

Georgiades 192cm - 22 goals
Marshall 198cm - 20 goals
Byrne-Jones 181cm - 17 goals
Rioli 175cm - 17 goals
Dixon 200cm - 13 goals
Finlayson 197cm - 12 goals

Ollie Lord 197cm - 3 goals

Marhall and Dixon are out. Willie Rioli was a test last week with a calf. Maybe comes back?

ReLoad
01-07-2024, 12:34 PM
Port Goal Kickers

Georgiades 192cm - 22 goals
Marshall 198cm - 20 goals
Byrne-Jones 181cm - 17 goals
Rioli 175cm - 17 goals
Dixon 200cm - 13 goals
Finlayson 197cm - 12 goals

Ollie Lord 197cm - 3 goals

Marhall and Dixon are out. Willie Rioli was a test last week with a calf. Maybe comes back?

Finlayson is such a spud, he's the perfect candidate to kick 6 this week.

bornadog
01-07-2024, 01:46 PM
I like Lobb for Lord. Feel like he has the size for Ollie but should be able to zone off and help out his other defenders.

I don't mind JOD on either Finlayson or Georgiades with Jones taking whichever is deepest/most dangerous.

Agree with this.

JOD is developing to be our future CHB, he is very impressive for a guy who has only played 22 games

azabob
01-07-2024, 01:50 PM
English needs to hit the scoreboard purely and simply.

Rowan Marshall kicked three goals in the first half against Sweet no reason why Timmy cannot kick 2-3 for the game.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2024, 02:06 PM
All the above is true, but some of his centre square tap work yesterday was, err, Sweet. In such a tight and low-scoring game, those pure clearances that resulted in goals are very important.

Agreed. My comments were more about kinda defending his endurance. More about his inability to mark or even contest. Seems so planted during a marking contest.

Mantis
01-07-2024, 02:13 PM

Rowan Marshall kicked three goals in the first half against Sweet no reason why Timmy cannot kick 2-3 for the game.

Marshall's role yesterday was different to the one English generally plays so not sure it's a fair requirement to ask unless Tim plays forward more than he usually does.

Sedat
01-07-2024, 02:26 PM
Agreed. My comments were more about kinda defending his endurance. More about his inability to mark or even contest. Seems so planted during a marking contest.
Yep, he really struggles in marking contests.

Tim should honestly wipe the floor with Sweet this week. The clydesdale ruckmen who aren't gifted aerobically have been fodder for him previously. Plus he should be 100% focused on atoning for the last time we played Port - he was completely destroyed by an old draughthorse who is now retired, Lycett. No better opportunity/incentive to rediscover his best form than this week - he simply needs to take the opportunity.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2024, 02:38 PM
Marshall's role yesterday was different to the one English generally plays so not sure it's a fair requirement to ask unless Tim plays forward more than he usually does.

Yeah I cheated a bit and didn't watch too much of before commenting re: Marshall. With Campbell there until being subbed, more of a share. However Marshall did completely own Sweet in one marking contest to get a goal.

azabob
01-07-2024, 02:40 PM

Marshall did ruck a lot of the game though. Still English should be trying to push forward.

ledge
01-07-2024, 03:40 PM

The fact we have Jamarra, Darcy and Naughton in The forward and Bont goes down there too means English shouldn’t go anywhere near our forward line. He should be floating around the ground going back if needed , the last thing we need is another tall in the forward line.

Axe Man
01-07-2024, 03:57 PM
The fact we have Jamarra, Darcy and Naughton in The forward and Bont goes down there too means English shouldn?t go anywhere near our forward line. He should be floating around the ground going back if needed , the last thing we need is another tall in the forward line.

Completely disagree. English has gotten plenty of goals over the years by burning off his ruck opponent to push forward and take either an uncontested mark or a contested grab against an undersized opponent. It's one of his strengths and he should 100% keep using it at opportune moments.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-07-2024, 05:13 PM
A lot of predicted ladders have us finishing 9th and Port 8th.

This is a huge game.

Bevo
01-07-2024, 07:25 PM
Agreed!

mjp
02-07-2024, 09:25 AM
A lot of predicted ladders have us finishing 9th and Port 8th.

This is a huge game.

That is kind of how it works out when I do it.

Mantis
02-07-2024, 09:27 AM
That is kind of how it works out when I do it.

We simply need to win this week and then 4 of our last 7.

We are more than capable of doing that.

mjp
02-07-2024, 09:36 AM
We simply need to win this week and then 4 of our last 7.

We are more than capable of doing that.

Yeah, but if we LOSE this week (which we are also capable of - it is vs PA in Adelaide which is a tough assignment) we need to win 5/7 and I'm not sure we can do it mate.

@ Port - This is super critical...
Carlton - Likelihood = loss.
@ Geelong - Would like to think win but history says we lose down there.
@ Sydney - You would think this is a loss.
Melbourne - Let's face it, Melbourne own us.
@ at Adelaide - Adelaide are a dangerous side now the pressure is off. I hope a win but DANGER.
North Melbourne - We SHOULD win this.
GWS Giants (in the bush!) - Who knows the circumstances. Would like to think we win at Ballarat.

So - if we can beat GWS, North, Adelaide and Geelong then we can do what you say...but I think we lose ONE of those...which means we MUST beat either Carlton, Sydney or Melbourne (plus win this week)...

I don't see it mate.

Happy Days
02-07-2024, 10:01 AM
Okay but had you considered

@ Port - free. Hinkley is going to bring himself on to try and kick a goal to save his job like my last senior coach in VAFA Div 4 did and it?s gonna cost them the game.

Carlton - free. They will put all of their effort into sustaining their Patrick Cripps total supremacy agitprop campaign which I think if you asked them is more important than team success.

@Geelong - free. UN-DE-FEAT-ED in our last one games at Geelong plus we have the mental edge from all of those letters Sedat has been sending them.

@ Sydney - free. They just lost to a team we just beat by 80 so we will win this game by at least 81 points. On our home deck too.

Melbourne - free. We got everything we need to beat them from James Harmes and his wonderful PowerPoint presentation skills.

@ Adelaide - free. Danger actually left years ago not sure if you missed this.

North - free. Cody Weightman is likely to be assassinated if he gets too close to their cheer squad though.

GWS - will they even still be in the AFL by then.

TLDR 7-0 easy gg

bornadog
02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Okay but had you considered

@ Port - free. Hinkley is going to bring himself on to try and kick a goal to save his job like my last senior coach in VAFA Div 4 did and it?s gonna cost them the game.

Carlton - free. They will put all of their effort into sustaining their Patrick Cripps total supremacy agitprop campaign which I think if you asked them is more important than team success.

@Geelong - free. UN-DE-FEAT-ED in our last one games at Geelong plus we have the mental edge from all of those letters Sedat has been sending them.

@ Sydney - free. They just lost to a team we just beat by 80 so we will win this game by at least 81 points. On our home deck too.

Melbourne - free. We got everything we need to beat them from James Harmes and his wonderful PowerPoint presentation skills.

@ Adelaide - free. Danger actually left years ago not sure if you missed this.

North - free. Cody Weightman is likely to be assassinated if he gets too close to their cheer squad though.

GWS - will they even still be in the AFL by then.

TLDR 7-0 easy gg
post of the decade

Mantis
02-07-2024, 10:12 AM
Yeah, but if we LOSE this week (which we are also capable of - it is vs PA in Adelaide which is a tough assignment) we need to win 5/7 and I'm not sure we can do it mate.

@ at Adelaide - Adelaide are a dangerous side now the pressure is off. I hope a win but DANGER.
GWS Giants (in the bush!) - Who knows the circumstances. Would like to think we win at Ballarat.

So - if we can beat GWS, North, Adelaide and Geelong then we can do what you say...but I think we lose ONE of those...which means we MUST beat either Carlton, Sydney or Melbourne (plus win this week)...

I don't see it mate.

I can be as pessimistic as they come, but we are too good a team to not make the finals so we simply need to find a way to win enough games.

This week is huge and we need to pick a team with more pace than we had against North.

My changes are:

In - Garcia and Harmes
Out - Gallagher and Macrae

If Duryea is out injured I?ll bring Baker in to the 22 and make Scott the sub.

Axe Man
02-07-2024, 10:19 AM
I can be as pessimistic as they come, but we are too good a team to not make the finals so we simply need to find a way to win enough games.

This week is huge and we need to pick a team with more pace than we had against North.

My changes are:

In - Garcia and Harmes
Out - Gallagher and Macrae

If Duryea is out injured I?ll bring Baker in to the 22 and make Scott the sub.

I know he's slow but I thought Macrae was pretty good against North. Used the ball far better than many of his teammates did.

Grantysghost
02-07-2024, 10:30 AM

I don't see it mate.
Woah woah take that frown and turn it upside down MP! :cool:

Sedat
02-07-2024, 10:57 AM
It feels like the situation with Hinkley is too volatile for the club to be able to perform at their optimum. He still has the players but it cannot be good for internal morale to have some board members not 100% aligned on direction. The win against St Kilda was kind of perfect for us this week - they keep the wolves at bay but clearly are not playing to their optimum. Also playing back at home this week in front of their hostile and unhinged supporters might actually be even more difficult for them psychologically than playing away.

We need to smash them at the source like we did to Freo. Like the Dockers, their midfield is their strength even if 1-2 of them aren't at their absolute best. JHF is though, and he was fantastic against the Saints. We need to put a lot of work into him to blunt his damage at clearance - he is basically Nick Daicos without all the media fapping.

EasternWest
02-07-2024, 11:42 AM
I can be as pessimistic as they come,

No way.

mjp
02-07-2024, 12:11 PM
Woah woah take that frown and turn it upside down MP! :cool:

LOL.

When we're marking down games vs Melbourne and games down at Geelong as wins I've got concerns I'm even on the right forum.

We ALWAYS lose to Melbourne (I mean, even the "best prepared, fittest, strongest" etc team lost to them back in round 1) and we ALWAYS lose at Geelong.

So that means we have to beat Carlton and Sydney away in order to make it? I can't see it.

Axe Man
02-07-2024, 12:30 PM
LOL.

When we're marking down games vs Melbourne and games down at Geelong as wins I've got concerns I'm even on the right forum.

We ALWAYS lose to Melbourne (I mean, even the "best prepared, fittest, strongest" etc team lost to them back in round 1) and we ALWAYS lose at Geelong.

So that means we have to beat Carlton and Sydney away in order to make it? I can't see it.

I think the game being at Marvel v Melbourne pushes things slightly in our favour, especially with no Petracca and the 2024 version of Clayton Oliver.

Agree that due to our history we can't have too much confidence in winning at Sedat Park but really we should be beating up on their substandard midfield.

Sedat
02-07-2024, 12:42 PM
LOL.

Agree with the above - there are no games you can automatically mark down, but isn't that simply the "any given Sunday" nature of this season? Did Geelong expect to lose 6 of 7 mid-season, and did GWS expect the same after missing last year's GF by 1 point? Were Melbourne expecting to be 12th after 16 rounds? This season is that close and we are one of many in the mix.

There are literally no easy fixtures in 2024. Teams playing us on the way home won't be looking forward to it either, so if we do make it we will be a legitimate premiership threat.

Grantysghost
02-07-2024, 12:43 PM
LOL.

I reckon we beat Melbourne and are a big chance v the Cats.

However...now you've got me thinking as you always manage to do!

Bulldog Joe
02-07-2024, 12:51 PM

I don't see it mate.

Pessimism is not the way to look ahead.

We can and WILL beat Port.
We can beat anyone.
Win 7 of the next 8 and finish top 4.
Win 3 from there and fly the flag.

Bulldog Joe
02-07-2024, 12:56 PM
I think the game being at Marvel v Melbourne pushes things slightly in our favour, especially with no Petracca and the 2024 version of Clayton Oliver.

Agree that due to our history we can't have too much confidence in winning at Sedat Park but really we should be beating up on their substandard midfield.

Additionally I have changed history for Pork Barrell Sedat Park.

First the first time in the History of Man I have acquired tickets and I have never seen us lose there.

lemmon
02-07-2024, 01:07 PM
I reckon we beat Melbourne and are a big chance v the Cats.

However...now you've got me thinking as you always manage to do!

We shouldn't fear the Demons and if we do, then we don't deserve to be a finals side.

The Dees have beaten two teams currently in the top 8 - Port (round 3) and the Cats (round 8) - both sides who are just as likely to fall out as stay in.

Yes, they've come close against some top sides but they lost to the Eagles and probably should have lost to North. This is also a side without Petracca who has done more damage against us than anyone, Oliver is a B-grade midfielder at the moment and they're kicking the footy to Harrison Petty. Their top-end stars are good and they're well-drilled, but they've got a bunch of kids running around at the moment too.

We have them at Marvel, our momentum is really building, we have the best player in the game, and they're playing just as many '8-point games' as we are. If we're not going into that game feeling good about ourselves and ready to take a scalp then we're wasting time this year.

MrMahatma
02-07-2024, 02:26 PM
We shouldn't fear the Demons and if we do, then we don't deserve to be a finals side.

The Dees have beaten two teams currently in the top 8 - Port (round 3) and the Cats (round 8) - both sides who are just as likely to fall out as stay in.

Yes, they've come close against some top sides but they lost to the Eagles and probably should have lost to North. This is also a side without Petracca who has done more damage against us than anyone, Oliver is a B-grade midfielder at the moment and they're kicking the footy to Harrison Petty. Their top-end stars are good and they're well-drilled, but they've got a bunch of kids running around at the moment too.

We have them at Marvel, our momentum is really building, we have the best player in the game, and they're playing just as many '8-point games' as we are. If we're not going into that game feeling good about ourselves and ready to take a scalp then we're wasting time this year.

Practically speaking, our season could be well and truly over before we get to the Dees match.

Port, Blues, Cats, Swans all before we get to the Dees. You don't have to be a complete pessimist to think we could lose all 4. Nor a complete crazy optimist to think we could win all 4.

Bulldog Joe
02-07-2024, 02:35 PM
Practically speaking, our season could be well and truly over before we get to the Dees match.

Port, Blues, Cats, Swans all before we get to the Dees. You don't have to be a complete pessimist to think we could lose all 4. Nor a complete crazy optimist to think we could win all 4.

When faced with the challenge of being optimistic or pessimistic, I find optimism just gives a better life outlook.

It is better to deal with disappointment when it occurs than to be continually concerned about the next setback that may not actually occur.

bornadog
02-07-2024, 02:37 PM
When faced with the challenge of being optimistic or pessimistic, I find optimism just gives a better life outlook.

It is better to deal with disappointment when it occurs than to be continually concerned about the next setback that may not actually occur.

I am with you BJ.

I am just looking forward to Saturday at this stage.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-07-2024, 02:54 PM

Respect. Not a bad way to go about things.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-07-2024, 02:59 PM
LOL.

Pessimism hasn't worked for us so we're taking a leaf out of Bulldog Joe's book and being optimistic.

What it'll look like on here if the typical results eventuate is anyone's guess.

Serenity now.

mjp
02-07-2024, 03:05 PM

To be fair, I'm not really concerned.

Footy season will be what it will be...but I refuse to be suckered into thinking we will beat Melbourne or Geelong only to realise 5-minutes into the first quarter that our designated receivers are Steven May and Tom Stewart respectively.

Until we prove we can do it, I'm not going say we can do it. Concerned? Not really - it just is what it is.

bulldogsthru&thru
02-07-2024, 03:13 PM
To be fair, I'm not really concerned.

Footy season will be what it will be...but I refuse to be suckered into thinking we will beat Melbourne or Geelong only to realise 5-minutes into the first quarter that our designated receivers are Steven May and Tom Stewart respectively.

Until we prove we can do it, I'm not going say we can do it. Concerned? Not really - it just is what it is.

I'm with you.

I've thought we can beat the cats for years and we just never got the job done. I still think we can win these type of games but I want to see some proof first.

And no I don't count the final game of last season.

Go_Dogs
02-07-2024, 06:41 PM
Butters will probably put on a Dogs jumper on Saturday and win the game for us. Have heard he’s a big chance to come to the Dogs.

Grantysghost
02-07-2024, 06:56 PM
Butters will probably put on a Dogs jumper on Saturday and win the game for us. Have heard he’s a big chance to come to the Dogs.
We have to hope they keep Ken!

EasternWest
02-07-2024, 07:07 PM

I'm hearing that too.

Happy Days
02-07-2024, 07:09 PM
Butters gonna hit JHF in the back with a steel chair in the goalsquare before ripping his Port jumper off.

ReLoad
02-07-2024, 07:50 PM
Butters manager seen at stockdale and Leggo in Footscray.

westbulldog
02-07-2024, 11:21 PM
Given some posters think VDM is a gun with 2 way running, speed, endurance etc etc ad infinitum, how about he is sent to tag Horne-Francis, we would all get answers then :)

FrediKanoute
03-07-2024, 03:31 AM

I agree. 8 games to go all critical, but the next 5 are the most critical as they offer the best opportunity for repeat 8 point games - Port, Geelong, Dees. Add the chance to score some points vs Swans and Blues and its a great block of games.

Win 5 out of 5 and we are top 4; 3 out of 5 and we are top 8.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2024, 01:15 PM

Yes!
Pessimism is fuelled by anxiety and fear.
It is to be faced with the knowledge that it is only a fear of what bad things might happen and as such should be a private matter to be dismissed with an open mind, ready for good outcomes and dealing with the bad ones, once they happen, not worrying beforehand.
A lot of people can't, are pessimistic, talk of possible bad outcomes and live on anxiety expecting others to see them as realists.

Bulldog Joe
03-07-2024, 01:45 PM
Yes!
Pessimism is fuelled by anxiety and fear.
It is to be faced with the knowledge that it is only a fear of what bad things might happen and as such should be a private matter to be dismissed with an open mind, ready for good outcomes and dealing with the bad ones, once they happen, not worrying beforehand.
A lot of people can't, are pessimistic, talk of possible bad outcomes and live on anxiety expecting others to see them as realists.

A realist is an optimists pessimist and a pessimists optimist.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2024, 02:07 PM
A realist is an optimists pessimist and a pessimists optimist.

And I am a natural depressed optimistic seventy yo who had plenty of anxiety.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-07-2024, 04:01 PM
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=zwAafG2BEnw&si=lhhL0vkzgX_ueGKP

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 07:23 PM
Fuuuuuuucccccckkkkk

In: N.Coffield, B.Khamis, L.McNeil
Out: L.Jones (knee soreness), C.Weightman (injured), O.Baker (omitted)

whythelongface
04-07-2024, 07:25 PM
Bloody hell Jones out. Oh no.

What is wrong with Cody?

The Pie Man
04-07-2024, 07:26 PM
Why McNeill?????????

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 07:27 PM
Why McNeill?????????

So when we have a chance to win late in the last quarter and he gets a set shot 30m out straight in front…

The Pie Man
04-07-2024, 07:27 PM
Bloody hell Jones out. Oh no.

What is wrong with Cody?

Cody groin

westbulldog
04-07-2024, 07:28 PM
Huge outs Liam Jones and Weightman

Ins - VFL standard players Khamis and McNeil

GVGjr
04-07-2024, 07:30 PM
Drew will try his best to curb Bont and I think Libba is going to Butters

The Pie Man
So when we have a chance to win late in the last quarter and he gets a set shot 30m out straight in front…

Why are we (the club) like this? ��

bulldogtragic
We don’t yet trust Busslinger yet. Jones, Keath & Gardner out and still can’t debut.

comrade
04-07-2024, 07:33 PM
We don’t yet trust Busslinger yet. Jones, Keath & Gardner out and still can’t debut.

I get where they?re coming from. You?d want Jones beside him when he finally comes in.

kruder
04-07-2024, 07:35 PM
Has Garcia signed for another club? Strange he isn?t an inclusion.

Looking at the defence is exactly the reason why we need to turn Bailey Smith into a KPD.

Axe Man
04-07-2024, 07:45 PM
Marshall, Lord, Finlayson and Georgiades to cover. None of them guns but some height there with our most experienced KPDs missing.

chef
04-07-2024, 07:46 PM
I just don't see what Khamis brings that Busslinger can't easier provide. Are we purposely pushing him out the door.

Angak
04-07-2024, 07:51 PM
Someone on SEN Sportsday saying Darcy will play back. Anyone know if he trained back this week?

hujsh
04-07-2024, 07:53 PM
I just don't see what Khamis brings that Busslinger can't easier provide. Are we purposely pushing him out the door.

Versatility? Someone has to be the sub and it's likely not Coffield who you'd think we'd give a proper fun in the VFL and McNeil looks a more like-for like with Cody. We also don't debut players as the sub.

Unless we sub Sanders or Freija I guess

GVGjr
04-07-2024, 07:55 PM
Someone on SEN Sportsday saying Darcy will play back. Anyone know if he trained back this week?

Not saying it won't happen but he trained as a forward today.

bornadog
04-07-2024, 07:57 PM
Baker stiff after having so many good games in the VFL, then comes in as sub for a quarter and then dropped.

merantau
04-07-2024, 07:58 PM
If we are good enough on the day we'll get the job done. Everyone knows what is expected. Time to show the Bulldog Spirit. Go Dogs!

Critter
04-07-2024, 08:01 PM
Tonight?s selection reeks of what?s worrying at Whitten Oval, still. How in god?s name does McNeil get a game ahead of Garcia? This is wrong on so many levels. Indeed, how does McNeil get a game?
Further, Buku has shown us what he can do, and it?s nowhere near the mark. Why then, are we wasting time on Buku when, at best, he?s trade collateral?

Grantysghost
04-07-2024, 08:01 PM
Why McNeill?????????

Who else is there? Clarke isn't going to play....and that's it. Rypstra isn't getting a crack either.

Garcia ? We don't want him forward I think.

Plus McNeil is awesome you guys.

azabob
04-07-2024, 08:02 PM
Weightman is a huge loss. I get the feeling goals will be at a premium and Weightman is our most natural forward who makes the most of his opportunities.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-07-2024, 08:03 PM
You'd think if there's anyone on the list we really should have made up our mind on by now, it's McNeil.

bornadog
04-07-2024, 08:04 PM
Who else is there? Clarke isn't going to play....and that's it. Rypstra isn't getting a crack either.

McNeil, performed well last week in the VFL

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 08:04 PM
You'd think if there's anyone on the list we really should have made up our mind on by now, it's McNeil.

Crazy. Right?

Grantysghost
04-07-2024, 08:05 PM
McNeil, performed well last week in the VFL

What's that got to do with it? :cool:

bornadog
04-07-2024, 08:05 PM
Crazy. Right?

He is still only 22 years old

Grantysghost
04-07-2024, 08:06 PM
Crazy. Right?

BT - I feel strongly that my man Lachie is going to make you consume la tarte des humbles this week.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 08:08 PM
BT - I feel strongly that my man Lachie is going to make you consume la tarte des humbles this week.

I’ll gladly mea culpa. But if I had to bet, it’s a shocking miss from 30m out that costs us momentum is history is a guide.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 08:10 PM
He is still only 22 years old

He’s no good. What’s his age got to do with it? We know what he is and what he isn’t. He’s going to be a very handy state league player which is still a huge achievement. But he’s not an AFEL player. We know this.

Grantysghost
04-07-2024, 08:11 PM
I’ll gladly mea culpa. But if I had to bet, it’s a shocking miss from 30m out that costs us momentum is history is a guide.

Haha probably right.

bornadog
04-07-2024, 08:13 PM
He’s no good. What’s his age got to do with it? We know what he is and what he isn’t. He’s going to be a very handy state league player which is still a huge achievement. But he’s not an AFEL player. We know this.

Who is we

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 08:17 PM
Haha probably right.

What confuses me (well one of many things) is how guys get cut/traded for limitations (Lippa etc), guys struggle to get games for obviously not doing what the coaches want (Garcia etc) and yet McNeil who constantly hurts the team with his sub standard goal kicking time and time again can keep ticking over games. I don’t get how his limitations and ability to finish to an acceptable standard is different from others. I think he’ll be a very handy stats leaguer and then make a bomb in country footy. Which is still an achievement, a big one. But how is he getting games?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 08:18 PM
Who is we

Everyone. He’s many things but not an AFEL footballer. He’s just not.

GVGjr
04-07-2024, 08:21 PM

Clarke was really good today and as I mentioned in the training report McNeil was noticeable
We should back the selectors because they've been in good form.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-07-2024, 08:45 PM
I think McNeil's selection is fine.
I agree with much that you post BT, and I don't necessarily dismiss your thoughts about McNeil's long term prospects.
However, I almost think a professional club would be punching themselves metaphorically in their own groin, culture wise were a guy like McNeil knowingly see or think their paper's may've been stamped, especially at this time of year.

It's a workplace and if guys performing well in the 2's are just plain overlooked week after week, the place would start to get a very bad, survival, me first vibe about it.

Whilst any dude wears our colours, they should always have clear criteria and honrst feedback on their particular pathway to seeing senior footy.

From reports he's done well and he fills a role we need filled.

And yep, I'm with you, he's probably likely to fluff his chance 30 out in front.

I'm hoping Lachie turns the corner and takes me back to those early, dreamy 'McSteal' rookie year moments.

Happy Days
04-07-2024, 08:48 PM
I was really looking forward to this game too.

I’m more flat about Buku than McNeil. McNeil misses easy goals but generally doesn’t do anything and stays out of the way. Having Buku as a key defender actually cost us at least one win so far this year.

JanLorMill
04-07-2024, 08:56 PM
Why bring in Coffield and Khamis then?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 09:07 PM
I think McNeil's selection is fine.
I agree with much that you post BT, and I don't necessarily dismiss your thoughts about McNeil's long term prospects.
However, I almost think a professional club would be punching themselves metaphorically in their own groin, culture wise were a guy like McNeil knowingly see or think their paper's may've been stamped, especially at this time of year.

It's a workplace and if guys performing well in the 2's are just plain overlooked week after week, the place would start to get a very bad, survival, me first vibe about it.

Whilst any dude wears our colours, they should always have clear criteria and honrst feedback on their particular pathway to seeing senior footy.

From reports he's done well and he fills a role we need filled.

And yep, I'm with you, he's probably likely to fluff his chance 30 out in front.

I'm hoping Lachie turns the corner and takes me back to those early, dreamy 'McSteal' rookie year moments.

I?m not suggesting it?s nuke the memberships with the selection. Rather we know what we will get, and it?s pretty limited. I might get black listed, I?d rather run Harmes back into form in the seniors. But it is what it is. I hope he plays well. But it?s hope solely based on hope.

G-Mo77
04-07-2024, 09:11 PM
Just saw the team. What?!?

PR0408
04-07-2024, 09:13 PM
It?s pretty disappointing and disgusting at times the hate towards some of our players. VDM. And McNeil cop it the most.
Player development isn?t the same for all. McNeil is getting better all
The time and growing with confidence. He is 23 yrs old playing the toughest role in the game. He always gives great effort and any coach will tell you that?s what they want most.
Some players are not even drafted at 23. So he is ahead of them. His game last week in bro was very good. His accuracy in front of goal was I?ll get better as confidence and belief grows.
So as supporters support it?s a team game and while he doesn?t have the ball he will be very good defensively again this is what most modern day coaches want.
30 possessions a game balls in your hands for two minutes so what are you doing the rest of the game.
Back the match committee and coaches in.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2024, 09:19 PM
It?s pretty disappointing and disgusting at times the hate towards some of our players. VDM. And McNeil cop it the most.
The time and growing with confidence. He is 23 yrs old playing the toughest role in the game. He always gives great effort and any coach will tell you that?s what they want most.
Some players are not even drafted at 23. So he is ahead of them. His game last week in bro was very good. His accuracy in front of goal was I?ll get better as confidence and belief grows.
So as supporters support it?s a team game and while he doesn?t have the ball he will be very good defensively again this is what most modern day coaches want.
30 possessions a game balls in your hands for two minutes so what are you doing the rest of the game.

Hate?

1eyedog
04-07-2024, 09:26 PM
I was really looking forward to this game too.

I?m more flat about Buku than McNeil. McNeil misses easy goals but generally doesn?t do anything and stays out of the way. Having Buku as a key defender actually cost us at least one win so far this year.

Agree 100%. How Buku gets back in the side really drives home to me just how thin we actually are.

1eyedog
04-07-2024, 09:28 PM

Yeah nah.

comrade
04-07-2024, 09:28 PM
I?m pretty surprised Coffield is coming in so early. I?d be giving Buss a debut before Coff gets back, given how injury prone Coff is. Big chance to be a man down for some portion of the game.