PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 19 VS Geelong

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Eighteen match against Carlton for our Round Nineteen match against Geelong at The Cattery on Saturday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
13-07-2024, 12:53 AM
Bump

Bumper Bulldogs
13-07-2024, 09:15 PM
Let?s hope that Jones, Naughts JOD and Trelore are ready to come back in

bornadog
13-07-2024, 09:19 PM
Let?s hope that Jones, Naughts JOD and Trelore are ready to come back in
Jones out for several weeks

Bumper Bulldogs
13-07-2024, 09:20 PM
Jones out for several weeks
Oh your a party pooper after a great win.

bornadog
13-07-2024, 09:22 PM
Oh your a party pooper after a great win.
Sorry.

The Adelaide Connection
14-07-2024, 12:34 AM
I hope that Garcia is an IN.

I fear that being an unused sub likely put him one foot on a plane back home and I?d like to see him stick around.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 01:10 AM
In Garcia
Out Gags

Otherwise run it back. Buku had the best game anyone will ever play as a defender where their man gets 10 shots at goal.

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 01:26 AM
In Garcia
Out Gags

Otherwise run it back. Buku had the best game anyone will ever play as a defender where their man gets 10 shots at goal.

So no O'Donnell, Naughton or Treloar?

Despite some great efforts during the game I wonder if we can stick with McNeil?
Gallagher needs a couple of weeks at Footscray.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 02:30 AM
So no O'Donnell, Naughton or Treloar?

Despite some great efforts during the game I wonder if we can stick with McNeil?
Gallagher needs a couple of weeks at Footscray.

I will admit there was some oversight but G that’s our best win since the 2021 prelim. Would have a really hard time kicking someone out of the team after that.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 09:59 AM
I wonder how bad Treloar's calf is?

Assuming his Calf is ok, then he is an in.

In: Treloar, Naughton

Out: Gallagher, VDM,

sub: Out Garcia, In JOD

azabob
14-07-2024, 10:04 AM

Why JOD as the sub over Garcia? I feel Garcia is a better option as the sub.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 10:08 AM

The other option is to drop McNeil for Garcia.

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 10:31 AM

Have we gone in with a player two weeks in a row as a sub this season?
To me either Garcia comes in as a player or goes back to Footscray.
The challenge might also be that the MC see's him more as a genuine midfielder than as a forward flanker.
Poulter's good performance locks away a role on the wing for a couple of weeks now so unless we change tact with Garcia's role and use him as a pressure half forward he might struggle to get in. Good player though and I feel with Treloar out yesterday we missed our chance to play Garcia. If Treloar misses another week I like Garcia's chance of coming in.

Grantysghost
14-07-2024, 11:06 AM

Bevo said he might be right for next week.
Labelled it as tightness and we didn't want to take a risk.

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 11:23 AM
With Jones out does O'Donnell offer the team balance more than Coffield against Geelong?

Who do we put of Cameron this week?

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 11:28 AM
Buku and Coffield are 191cm. JOD is 197cm.

Is it JOD V Coffield or is it JOD v Buku?

Interesting that Collingwood went with Qauynor against Cameron. Quaynor is 180cm versus Cameron 196cm. Cameron kicked three goals but only had nine possesions.

Whoever plays on Cameron needs a tank as he covers the ground so well.

The Cats also have Shannon Neale who is 203cm. So you would think Lobb has to play on him.

Testekill
14-07-2024, 11:31 AM
With Jones out does O'Donnell offer the team balance more than Coffield against Geelong?

Who do we put of Cameron this week?

That is the big question, Cameron is a mobile and strong guy. If Keath gets through the VFL fine then we might bring him in to man Cameron and have Lobb on their resting ruck.

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 11:35 AM
That is the big question, Cameron is a mobile and strong guy. If Keath gets through the VFL fine then we might bring him in to man Cameron and have Lobb on their resting ruck.

There is also Shannon Neale who is 203cm.

ledge
14-07-2024, 11:46 AM
Have we gone in with a player two weeks in a row as a sub this season?
To me either Garcia comes in as a player or goes back to Footscray.
The challenge might also be that the MC see's him more as a genuine midfielder than as a forward flanker.
Poulter's good performance locks away a role on the wing for a couple of weeks now so unless we change tact with Garcia's role and use him as a pressure half forward he might struggle to get in. Good player though and I feel with Treloar out yesterday we missed our chance to play Garcia. If Treloar misses another week I like Garcia's chance of coming in.

The good thing is Garcia can play today in the VFL so doesn?t miss out a week and can really push his claim.

kruder
14-07-2024, 01:52 PM
Keath looks to be moving well, I've got him ahead of JOD for potential inclusions.

mjp
14-07-2024, 02:53 PM

Sorry.

The big question is what do we do about Stewart. He kills us EVERY SINGLE TIME.

After we have that solution, then we can pick the rest of the team.

p.s. I know he's been playing mid. But he also sorta hasn't - he's been a mid who slides behind the footy. We need to solve this.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 03:02 PM
If they could pick a team and a place to run Stewart back into form in his usual intercepting role then it's the Doggies at Sedat Park.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:31 PM
Buku and Coffield are 191cm. JOD is 197cm..

They play very differently. Buku because of his leap plays tall, and Coffield more a mid sized defender. Perhaps Coffield takes Rohan

Rocco Jones
14-07-2024, 03:49 PM
JOD in theory a good match up vs Cameron but he is out of form and never really shown an ability to take the main guy anyway. I'd also be wary of going 'too tall' after our success with additional runners yesterday.

In: Naughts and Adz
Out: Gags and Garcia (I know, but can't really drop any of the other guys from yesterday)
Sub: Vanders

Garcia into the starting side if Adz is out.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 04:05 PM
In: Naughton
Out: Gallagher

Not sure we're risking Treloar if there's any residual tightness early in the week which I suspect there will be. I'd put Sanders into the substitute role and play Garcia in Sander's role from this week.

Richards can spend some time around the flanks if we feel we need some outside pace in Gallagher's absence, with Garcia as a true inside midfielder taking on more of his inside role if needed.

Naughton in for Gallagher isn't like for like, but what are you going to do? I'm leaving the defence as it is. Coffield on Cameron, Lobb to Shannon Noll and Buku in an intercepting oriented role while we hang on tight I guess.

westbulldog
14-07-2024, 04:11 PM
Garcia just finished the VFL game with 33 disposals, 15 tackles, 10 clearances and another 2 goals and he can't get a game before Vandermeer or McNeil ? Selection incompetent rubbish at its worst.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 04:16 PM
Garcia just finished the VFL game with 33 disposals, 15 tackles, 10 clearances and another 2 goals and he can't get a game before Vandermeer or McNeil ? Selection incompetent rubbish at its worst.

He doesn't play the same roles as they do in the seniors, while our incompetent selection managed to see us beat the second placed side whilst undermanned.

westbulldog
14-07-2024, 04:47 PM
He doesn't play the same roles as they do in the seniors, while our incompetent selection managed to see us beat the second placed side whilst undermanned.

You would have VDM and McNeill in the All Australian side :) To be accurate, what role do VDM and McNeil (who did 2 good things yesterday) play ? Garcia would only have to turn up to do better than Vandermeer yesterday.

chef
14-07-2024, 05:03 PM
Sorry.

The big question is what do we do about Stewart. He kills us EVERY SINGLE TIME.

After we have that solution, then we can pick the rest of the team.

p.s. I know he's been playing mid. But he also sorta hasn't - he's been a mid who slides behind the footy. We need to solve this.

Play Cody on him?

Mitcha
14-07-2024, 06:13 PM
I'd like to see Rhyley West set for Stewart, West's combative nature and ability to hit the scoreboard may keep him more accountable than he has been against us in the past.

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 06:22 PM
I'd like to see Rhyley West set for Stewart, West's combative nature and ability to hit the scoreboard may keep him more accountable than he has been against us in the past.
He could certainly do I that role.

my plums
14-07-2024, 09:56 PM
Surely Garcia comes in for his job interview

jeemak
14-07-2024, 11:09 PM

Might we just try and do the same thing with Weightman next week as we did this week after the first 45 minutes of the game? Cody has more tricks than West and to me is more likely to be able to do that job and create than West would be.

mjp
15-07-2024, 10:01 AM
There is also Shannon Neale who is 203cm.

Ummm - pretty sure he's out injured.

bornadog
15-07-2024, 10:13 AM

He played Friday - was he injured

angelopetraglia
15-07-2024, 10:20 AM

Sounds like touch and go.

Mitch Cleary

Cat Shannon Neale was taken to hospital last night for assessment on a throat injury. He’s avoided major damage & has bruising to his larynx. 8-day break will help his case for next week.

Mofra
15-07-2024, 10:22 AM
He normally gets those roles. Would be my first choice too.

Mofra
15-07-2024, 10:23 AM
Sounds like touch and go.

Mitch Cleary

Cat Shannon Neale was taken to hospital last night for assessment on a throat injury. He’s avoided major damage & has bruising to his larynx. 8-day break will help his case for next week.
So he'll be tossing the coin this weekend?

Grantysghost
15-07-2024, 10:31 AM
He normally gets those roles. Would be my first choice too.

After qtr time Weightman was used to interrupt Weitering and that freed up Marra.

Cody was amazing, sacrificed his game for the betterment of the team.

I wonder if we will do something similar?

Happy Days
15-07-2024, 10:47 AM
Stewart got nearly completely figured out by a month or so of hard tags earlier this year, which forced him into this less impactful mid role he’s doing now.

If he even looks at the D50 we have to do the same. Don’t know who does it though, I’d probably go with Scott. The tags that have worked on him have been hard tags, as opposed to one of those ones where you look to make him accountable to a dangerous player.

comrade
15-07-2024, 11:10 AM
Stewart got nearly completely figured out by a month or so of hard tags earlier this year, which forced him into this less impactful mid role he’s doing now.

If he even looks at the D50 we have to do the same. Don’t know who does it though, I’d probably go with Scott. The tags that have worked on him have been hard tags, as opposed to one of those ones where you look to make him accountable to a dangerous player.

Chris Scott could roll out a team of toddlers from
Grovedale Community Kindergarten and they?ll still beat us down at that shit hole.

Mantis
15-07-2024, 11:14 AM
Given how our game earlier in the season went I'm interested to see what plans we have for Miers & Cameron who were both very influential.

With regard to ins/ outs bit hard to know given availability of Treloar, Naughton, Jones & JOD, but if all are available, I'm going:

Treloar 4 Sanders
Naughton 4 Gags
Jones 4 Coffield or Khamis

Also would be bringing Garcia into the 23 and making Laith or McNeil the sub.

edit - I did have JOD coming in, but with Lobb going back I think he can sit this one out.

Happy Days
15-07-2024, 11:15 AM
Chris Scott could roll out a team of toddlers from
Grovedale Community Kindergarten and they?ll still beat us down at that shit hole.

You must’ve missed our stirring win down there last year.

Hot Dogs
15-07-2024, 11:30 AM
I do feel like a lot of our best footy recently has been played when we have gone a bit smaller. Our hand was obviously forced on the weekend, but I don't mind the idea of playing a slightly shorter, but potentially more versatile backline.

MrMahatma
15-07-2024, 03:43 PM
In: Naughton, Ads, JOD
Out: McNeil, Poulter, Buku

GVGjr
15-07-2024, 04:09 PM
You might be right but that's tough on both Poulter and Khamis and to some extent with McNeil

Grantysghost
15-07-2024, 04:10 PM

I don't think you can drop Buku after that game.

Who else can we drop for JOD? He might face some VFL time.

Rocco Jones
15-07-2024, 05:05 PM
Have re-think, would bring in JOD as extra support. Rated McNeil's game. He has really dangerous closing speed.

In: Naughts, JOD, Adz
Out: Sanders, Gags, Garcia
Sub: Vanders

Really stiff on Garcia but hard to drop anyone else to keep him in. I'd have him already in the 22 but he isn't. Next one in if Adz or whoever is out.

MrMahatma
15-07-2024, 05:37 PM
You might be right but that's tough on both Poulter and Khamis and to some extent with McNeil

Yeah. I'm not sure if Gags was doing a job or not, but thought he didn't have a great night on initial view. So maybe he makes way for Ads and either McNeil or Poulter stay in.

bornadog
15-07-2024, 06:23 PM

I can't see Poulter being dropped either. He ran up and down that wing all night and did a great job. Kicked an incredible goal, and his left foot is a ripper.

josie
15-07-2024, 06:38 PM
I can't see Poulter being dropped either. He ran up and down that wing all night and did a great job. Kicked an incredible goal, and his left foot is a ripper.

Agree. Must be longest kick in our team. A real weapon and his defensive game has improved a lot. Hope he stays in the side. Really like how he keeps width rather than being sucked into ball chasing.

Garcia for McNeil. Naughts for Gags. Sanders or. Mc Neil sub. M guessing Adz has another week rest for his calf.

azabob
15-07-2024, 07:16 PM

Agree. Must be longest kick in our team. A real weapon and his defensive game has improved a lot. Hope he stays in the side. Really like how he keeps width rather than being sucked into ball chasing.

Garcia for McNeil. Naughts for Gags. Sanders or. Mc Neil sub. M guessing Adz has another week rest for his calf.

I also really like Poulter. He has a great tank, his left foot kick is flat and long, runs all day and he is a decent mark.

angelopetraglia
15-07-2024, 07:59 PM
As hard as it may be. I can cop losing to Geelong at the Cattery. For the love of God, I can't cop losing to Geelong dressed like this. Please, please win Bulldogs ....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSgmDJ-XYAEcspU?format=jpg&name=small

comrade
15-07-2024, 10:40 PM
As hard as it may be. I can cop losing to Geelong at the Cattery. For the love of God, I can't cop losing to Geelong dressed like this. Please, please win Bulldogs ....

Flog-o-meter is pinging off the scales.

lemmon
15-07-2024, 11:53 PM
In: Treloar, JOD, Naughton
Out: Gallagher, Coffield, Garcia (Sanders to sub)

I thought Coffield's ball use was pretty abysmal and JOD gives us a more athletic tall option.

Gallagher was anonymous and Garcia is unlucky but Poulter was really impactful.

I didn't mind Sanders game, thought he managed to involve himself on the inside and his work off hands around the contest was decent, but Treloar will soak up that inside midfield time.

Happy Days
16-07-2024, 12:00 AM

That kit looks great to be fair. We’ve never lost to them in it though.

lemmon
16-07-2024, 12:10 AM

Think it's a good shout, as is Weightman, but what about giving Naughton the job?

Stewart will take him to dangerous places, Naughton is a nightmare in the air and will really give Stewart headaches.

Does Naughton have it in him to stick his forearm in Stewart's back and be chaperoned to the ball? I'm not sure, but it'll certainly pose some interesting questions.

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 12:48 AM

It's so bad. Are they sponsored by Ford?

chef
16-07-2024, 06:39 AM

That guernsey is pretty neat. Bring back the collar.

Bullies
16-07-2024, 08:25 AM
Might we just try and do the same thing with Weightman next week as we did this week after the first 45 minutes of the game? Cody has more tricks than West and to me is more likely to be able to do that job and create than West would be. What about VDM to Stewart? Give him something to do. He looks bored just standing around not getting involved.

Bullies
16-07-2024, 08:29 AM
I also really like Poulter. He has a great tank, his left foot kick is flat and long, runs all day and he is a decent mark. The wings at Geelong are not very wide. Poulter doesn't like the contact and the in close at the contest. He would prefer to run which you are limited to at GMHBA.

azabob
16-07-2024, 08:33 AM
What about VDM to Stewart? Give him something to do. He looks bored just standing around not getting involved.

VDM loves a chat and Stewart would get sucked in big time.

The Underdog
16-07-2024, 08:42 AM
What about VDM to Stewart? Give him something to do. He looks bored just standing around not getting involved.

He plays a selfless game in a position that is notorious for not getting much of the footy. Is he one of our best 15? No, but he gets picked every week, so he’s clearly playing the role the coach wants.

SquirrelGrip
16-07-2024, 10:46 AM
How do our 7 defenders look?

Currently Buku, Lobb, Coffield, Duryea, Bramble, Dale, Freijah

Jones when fit will replace Buku. Will O'Donnell replace Coffield or Freijah, or do we become too tall/slow?

Does Freijah move onto a wing instead of Poulter? Do we prefer Coffield or Freijah?

And then if JJ ever gets fit again, who does he replace? I guess he has to perform well enough to push Bramble or Duryea out.

This week, the only decision is really around O'Donnell. We need speed to stop Geelong's pesky half forward types, plus they'll definitely have a plan for Bailey Dale after his game against Carlton. It may be a game worth rotating Ed back.

comrade
16-07-2024, 10:46 AM
Any chance we can get an mjp explaining in detail how we?re winning this game?

The Underdog
16-07-2024, 10:51 AM

Keep Tom Stewart under 4 intercept marks....

Rocco Jones
16-07-2024, 10:57 AM
The wings at Geelong are not very wide. Poulter doesn't like the contact and the in close at the contest. He would prefer to run which you are limited to at GMHBA.

I hear you but Isaac Smith went okay there.

lemmon
16-07-2024, 11:35 AM
How do our 7 defenders look?

Currently Buku, Lobb, Coffield, Duryea, Bramble, Dale, Freijah

Jones when fit will replace Buku. Will O'Donnell replace Coffield or Freijah, or do we become too tall/slow?

Does Freijah move onto a wing instead of Poulter? Do we prefer Coffield or Freijah?

And then if JJ ever gets fit again, who does he replace? I guess he has to perform well enough to push Bramble or Duryea out.

This week, the only decision is really around O'Donnell. We need speed to stop Geelong's pesky half forward types, plus they'll definitely have a plan for Bailey Dale after his game against Carlton. It may be a game worth rotating Ed back.

It's an interesting discussion.

I think Coffield and Buku are ideally playing for the same spot as the third tall - when Jones is back, JOD is also in the discussion for that spot now Lobb has cemented himself as a key back.

They offer different things - Buku feels like the best intercept marker, Coffield should be a good distributor (though I thought his ball-use was rubbish on the weekend) and JOD probably has the most 'utility' in that he's bigger and more athletic than the others and is a good rebounder of the ball.

I think our best set-up is Jones, Lobb and JOD but they're all having to play a step taller this week without Jones, so I'd go with Lobb, Buku and JOD.

Buku earned his spot over the weekend, and I prefer JOD's utility this week over Coffield.

I think the point about moving Ed back is an interesting one. I wouldn't do it and I don't think it'll happen, but that's also the only way I see Garcia squeezing into the team at the moment. I think they like Richards for his ability to go forward through a stoppage with his pace but he's also a strong and durable tackler in there - which is also what Garcia brings to the side.

Ed's changed the dynamic of that midfield, so I think he stays and we keep it going, but I do wonder if Richards off half-back in the place of a Freijah and Garcia into Ed's midfield role does make us a generally better side.

mjp
16-07-2024, 11:47 AM

LOL. I was pretty good last week...

Um - We never win down at Kardinia Park so I have an altogether negative outlook right now. And I don't think we will do anything about Stewart so there's also that...

I'm sure I'll be more positive in the next couple of days but it's pretty hard right now.

Happy Days
16-07-2024, 11:50 AM

Um - We never win down at Kardinia Park so I have an altogether negative outlook right now. And I don't think we will do anything about Stewart so there's also that...

I'm sure I'll be more positive in the next couple of days but it's pretty hard right now.

Can you try writing out the opposite of what you think?

SquirrelGrip
16-07-2024, 12:16 PM
It's an interesting discussion.

I think Coffield and Buku are ideally playing for the same spot as the third tall - when Jones is back, JOD is also in the discussion for that spot now Lobb has cemented himself as a key back.

They offer different things - Buku feels like the best intercept marker, Coffield should be a good distributor (though I thought his ball-use was rubbish on the weekend) and JOD probably has the most 'utility' in that he's bigger and more athletic than the others and is a good rebounder of the ball.

I think our best set-up is Jones, Lobb and JOD but they're all having to play a step taller this week without Jones, so I'd go with Lobb, Buku and JOD.

Buku earned his spot over the weekend, and I prefer JOD's utility this week over Coffield.

I think the point about moving Ed back is an interesting one. I wouldn't do it and I don't think it'll happen, but that's also the only way I see Garcia squeezing into the team at the moment. I think they like Richards for his ability to go forward through a stoppage with his pace but he's also a strong and durable tackler in there - which is also what Garcia brings to the side.

Ed's changed the dynamic of that midfield, so I think he stays and we keep it going, but I do wonder if Richards off half-back in the place of a Freijah and Garcia into Ed's midfield role does make us a generally better side.

Thanks for your thoughts. I like Sunny but I don't share other posters views that he needs to be pushed into the team. Assuming Treloar is back, then Sunny is a few rungs behind.

We seemed to be keen to get Coffield back into the team quickly following his injury. Will be interesting who we favour over him and JOD. I don't think we can play all four off Lobb, Buku, Coffield and JOD, so which of Coff and JOD is the teacher's pet?

I'm also not as strong as Poulter as others. I think with Coffield now back, perhaps we move Freijah more up the ground and give him time on the wing. He is in our long term plans ahead of Poulter, and I'd select him now on that basis.

With Naughton back, one of our smaller forwards is going to give way. It's not Cody or West, and I think Laith has more runs on the board, so McNeil unlucky. Maybe sub. But you do need to kick goals from 7m out directly in front.

Out Gags, McNeil
In Treloar, Naughton

Sub McNeil
Emerg Garcia, JOD, Scott

Rocco Jones
16-07-2024, 12:29 PM
I really don't like playing guys who kill it at VFL level with CBAs then having them play wherever they can fit in AFL. It sets up guys like Garcia to fail. Sanders another one. McLean in the past. Give them CBAs in AFL or play them in the role at VFL level.

It's why I'd rather keep players like Poulter, McNeil and Vanders if they are doing okay. They are actually filling roles.

Kingbiggs
16-07-2024, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I like Sunny but I don't share other posters views that he needs to be pushed into the team. Assuming Treloar is back, then Sunny is a few rungs behind.

We seemed to be keen to get Coffield back into the team quickly following his injury. Will be interesting who we favour over him and JOD. I don't think we can play all four off Lobb, Buku, Coffield and JOD, so which of Coff and JOD is the teacher's pet?

I'm also not as strong as Poulter as others. I think with Coffield now back, perhaps we move Freijah more up the ground and give him time on the wing. He is in our long term plans ahead of Poulter, and I'd select him now on that basis.

With Naughton back, one of our smaller forwards is going to give way. It's not Cody or West, and I think Laith has more runs on the board, so McNeil unlucky. Maybe sub. But you do need to kick goals from 7m out directly in front.

Out Gags, McNeil
In Treloar, Naughton

Sub McNeil
Emerg Garcia, JOD, Scott

Couldn't agree more with every point made here, Mcneil stiff but understandable

mjp
16-07-2024, 02:23 PM
The wings at Geelong are not very wide.

If you want a bad omen, Kardinia Park is almost exactly the same size as Adelaide Oval...pretty sure we ventured over there a couple of weeks back!

Adelaide Oval: 167m x 123m
Kardinia Park: 170m x 115m
Docklands: 160m x 129m

14m wider than Docklands? So, 7m narrower each wing?? 10m shorter than Docklands? 5m shorter each forward half??

Maybe the whole thing on the size of the ground is a complete beat up (and I'm gonna vote YES to this idea).

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 02:28 PM
He's on fire atm. I don't want to know because he's going to say we lose!

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 02:30 PM

Ahem, we are reigning Sedat Park premiers

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 02:33 PM
If you want a bad omen, Kardinia Park is almost exactly the same size as Adelaide Oval...pretty sure we ventured over there a couple of weeks back!

Adelaide Oval: 167m x 123m
Kardinia Park: 170m x 115m
Docklands: 160m x 129m

14m wider than Docklands? So, 7m narrower each wing?? 10m shorter than Docklands? 5m shorter each forward half??

Maybe the whole thing on the size of the ground is a complete beat up (and I'm gonna vote YES to this idea).

No it's true. It's the road side. It's kind of straight. I think it has a fat wing and a skinny wing.

https://i.postimg.cc/sgpdYjPg/Screenshot-20240716-133147.png (https://postimg.cc/TKY4GXHz)

jeemak
16-07-2024, 02:43 PM
It's an abomination of a ground, and that they didn't have to widen it as part of the redevelopment is a disgrace.

bornadog
16-07-2024, 03:01 PM
It's an abomination of a ground, and that they didn't have to widen it as part of the redevelopment is a disgrace.

I would pull down those stands on the left and widen the ground:D

I hate that ground, always have

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2024, 03:40 PM

Well I am going to get my first experience.

Have tickets to go.

Incidentally, I have been to a Bulldog loss there.

bornadog
16-07-2024, 03:45 PM

Have tickets to go.

Get there early, there is a double header with VFL

Sedat
16-07-2024, 03:54 PM

Welcome to the club Jee. What took you so long?

The Underdog
16-07-2024, 04:13 PM

Who would pay for that? The Victorian Government?

hujsh
16-07-2024, 04:23 PM
Who would pay for that? The Victorian Government?

That'll be another 440 mil mate thanks

Axe Man
16-07-2024, 04:25 PM
That'll be another 440 mil mate thanks

Everybody has to eat.

bornadog
16-07-2024, 04:57 PM

Hey Sedat, they are going to spend another $60 million on training facilities :D

Sedat
16-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Hey Sedat, they are going to spend another $60 million on training facilities :D
Someone needs to insert the Plough "spew up" video

Who needs hospitals and essential health services when this Shithole can get a brand new scoreboard and training facilities? Victoria is flying chop

Hot Dogs
16-07-2024, 05:26 PM
Get there early, there is a double header with VFL
Two big games for the club. 2nd v 3rd in the VFL as well. Hopefully we can get the points in both.

chef
16-07-2024, 05:30 PM

Have tickets to go.

I'm going too, been there dozens of times without seeing a win. Sorry guys I'm a curse.

jeemak
16-07-2024, 05:42 PM

Oh I've been a card carrying member for a long time. I just leave the rabble rousing to the professionals.

Hot Dogs
16-07-2024, 05:43 PM
Annoying to see O'Donnell is out with a hammy now. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with the same back 6 or Keath comes in.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2024, 06:18 PM
I'm going too, been there dozens of times without seeing a win. Sorry guys I'm a curse.

Every curse needs to be broken.
I might be your exorcist

Hotdog60
16-07-2024, 07:07 PM
When I was in Victoria all those years ago I have been to every VFL/AFL ground except the Cattery the one place I never wanted to step foot in.

bornadog
16-07-2024, 07:43 PM
When I was in Victoria all those years ago I have been to every VFL/AFL ground except the Cattery the one place I never wanted to step foot in.

I used to go there when games were on a Saturday afternoon, and stand behind the goals with mates. These days, no way am I going on a Saturday night and getting home at midnight. Especially horrible if we lose.

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 08:18 PM
I used to go there when games were on a Saturday afternoon, and stand behind the goals with mates. These days, no way am I going on a Saturday night and getting home at midnight. Especially horrible if we lose.
Shit town, shit ground.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2024, 09:14 PM

But how wonderful to be there and see a win?

You can't do that if you don't go.

The greatest pleasures come when you risk disappointment.

1eyedog
16-07-2024, 10:21 PM

It's an absolute cesspit

In the old days if we won we were odds on to get king hit on the way out.

bornadog
16-07-2024, 10:26 PM
It's an absolute cesspit

That's why I went with lots of mates - they are feral

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 10:33 PM
It's an absolute cesspit

Somehow this is what the most city person in history, Baz, has decided is his future.
I don't get it. Houses in Anglesea are priced beyond belief.

Folks, it's just water and all in all pretty boring after a full weekend.

jeemak
16-07-2024, 11:12 PM
Somehow this is what the most city person in history, Baz, has decided is his future.

Both the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas are fantastic mid-week outside of weekends or school holidays. I can definitely see the appeal.

And on whatever money Baz will end up earning, he's not going to be worrying about the price of first houses, or even second houses.

Grantysghost
16-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Both the Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas are fantastic mid-week outside of weekends or school holidays. I can definitely see the appeal.

And on whatever money Baz will end up earning, he's not going to be worrying about the price of first houses, or even second houses.
My life long westy brother who's in his 50s recently moved to Mornington Peninsula and won't shut up about it !

Have we found EW yet?

Is he actually Setka?

bornadog
16-07-2024, 11:59 PM
My life long westy brother who's in his 50s recently moved to Mornington Peninsula and won't shut up about it !

Have we found EW yet?

Is he actually Setka?

I think he is Setka

jeemak
17-07-2024, 12:02 AM
EW is a lot of things that finish with "ist", but he is nothing like that sort of person.

Shame on you all.

Grantysghost
17-07-2024, 12:15 AM
EW is a lot of things that finish with "ist", but he is nothing like that sort of person.

Shame on you all.
I did see him at Lenin's tomb in an outfit depicting the death of Rasputin but I'd thought hed moved on.

jeemak
17-07-2024, 12:24 AM
Back to selection. I'm not confident Treloar gets up this week.

With that in mind I think we need to bring a bit more of a ball winning mentality to our midfield because if we don't win it Geelong usually cut us up on their Sedat endorsed shithole of a ground.

Gallagher can't win enough of it at the moment, and while I'm sure he's playing a role missed opportunities, fumbles and not enough of it should make him vulnerable. And honestly, he's probably due for a spell where he can play a prominent midfield role in the twos and get his touch back.

At the start of the year we said you can't ignore what Sanders did when he went back to the twos - and he was recalled. The same should apply to Garcia who got kicked in the head Saturday, and dominated Sunday with a two way display with lots of touches and tackles, while hitting the scoreboard in a performance that might have been considered the difference in the game.

Others are more bullish about him than I am, but even to me he has to play after his letdown on Saturday and his response, if not for what our team needs to do this Saturday night.

chef
17-07-2024, 09:48 AM

Our family has had a holiday house in St Leonards for the last 15 years and it's crazy how busy it has become there during peak times. Bit sad it's not our quiet little fishing village anymore.

I do love the area though, would be perfect if the weather wasn't so shit the majority of the time.

Axe Man
17-07-2024, 10:37 AM

I never get home from a night game before midnight, talk about first world problems. ;)

chef
17-07-2024, 10:40 AM
I never get home from a night game before midnight, talk about first world problems.

Yeah, I'll get home a bit before 2, usually. At least with Geelong games, I can crash at my Daughters house.

Mantis
17-07-2024, 10:43 AM
Our family has had a holiday house in St Leonards for the last 15 years and it's crazy how busy it has become there during peak times. Bit sad it's not our quiet little fishing village anymore.

I do love the area though, would be perfect if the weather wasn't so shit the majority of the time.

From a very young age I used to holiday in the main caravan park in Portarlington so know the area extremely well... it's nothing like it was in the 80's/90's.

Plugger used to have a place down there too... whenever I rode my bike past his place, which was frequently he'd be sitting out the front drinking cans... those were the days!

Axe Man
17-07-2024, 10:59 AM
From a very young age I used to holiday in the main caravan park in Portarlington so know the area extremely well... it's nothing like it was in the 80's/90's.

Plugger used to have a place down there too... whenever I rode my bike past his place, which was frequently he'd be sitting out the front drinking cans... those were the days!

My grandparents retired to Ocean Grove in the 90s, loved spending time down there.

bornadog
17-07-2024, 12:00 PM
I never get home from a night game before midnight, talk about first world problems. ;)

Gippsland

Yeah, I'll get home a bit before 2, usually. At least with Geelong games, I can crash at my Daughters house.

Northern Victoria

You choose to live there so you have to travel.

I go to all Ballarat matches, but I draw the line with Geelong - not a fan of that stadium.

Happy Days
17-07-2024, 12:34 PM
Before our games I usually go back and watch the previous Kayo mini from the last time we played the team. I know it’s not the “last” time but I’m watching the win from last year and it’s the one of the flattest, most dispirited sides I think we ever put out there. Even if we aren’t flying or anything now the difference in endeavour between now and the is night and day.

Seriously what the hell happened at the end of last year?

Hot Dogs
17-07-2024, 01:10 PM
I am weirdly confident for this one. I was at our game and the Cats game last week and we were so much more impressive. I know consistency is always a big question with this group, but I am optimistic we can build off last week.

MrMahatma
17-07-2024, 01:21 PM
Before our games I usually go back and watch the previous Kayo mini from the last time we played the team. I know it’s not the “last” time but I’m watching the win from last year and it’s the one of the flattest, most dispirited sides I think we ever put out there. Even if we aren’t flying or anything now the difference in endeavour between now and the is night and day.

Seriously what the hell happened at the end of last year?

I've tried to forget the end to last season. We were in the mix until that Hawks? Or was it GWS game?

All in all, I think it was Chris Grant's fault. Or Jake Stringer's.

Axe Man
17-07-2024, 01:28 PM
I've tried to forget the end to last season. We were in the mix until that Hawks? Or was it GWS game?

All in all, I think it was Chris Grant's fault. Or Jake Stringer's.

It was the unlosable Eagles game in the second last round that killed us.

Mantis
17-07-2024, 01:39 PM
I've just been given a ticket to the president's dinner (or the like) on Saturday night.

I ****ing despise that joint, but I'm happy to enjoy their free hospitality (and make an ass of myself) ... let's hope we given them a flogging!

Now the fun bit - apparently there's no trains so I need a lift down there, I have transport home sorted... any help would be appreciated! Send me a PM if you can help.

Axe Man
17-07-2024, 01:44 PM
I've just been given a ticket to the president's dinner (or the like) on Saturday night.

I ****ing despise that joint, but I'm happy to enjoy their free hospitality (and make an ass of myself) ... let's hope we given them a flogging!

Now the fun bit - apparently there's no trains so I need a lift down there, I have transport home sorted... any help would be appreciated! Send me a PM if you can help.

Not sure what you are looking at but Vline website suggests trains are running from Southern Cross to Geelong on Saturday. It's just a coach from Geelong to South Geelong station (10 minutes).

Mantis
17-07-2024, 01:59 PM
Not sure what you are looking at but Vline website suggests trains are running from Southern Cross to Geelong on Saturday. It's just a coach from Geelong to South Geelong station (10 minutes).

As you can see, I did f-all to validate a colleague's suggestion that the trains were out.

Regardless, if a fellow poster would like some company, it would be awesome.

edit. V-line app suggests that coaches replace trains for all part of the journey until Sunday Aug 25 due to Waurn Ponds works.

Bulldog Joe
17-07-2024, 02:04 PM
As you can see I did f-all to validate a colleague?s suggestion that the trains were out.

Regardless if a fellow poster would like some company it would be awesome.

Sorry mate.
I am staying at Torquay for the weekend and will have some commitments on the way down on Friday.

MrMahatma
17-07-2024, 04:26 PM
As you can see, I did f-all to validate a colleague's suggestion that the trains were out.

Regardless, if a fellow poster would like some company, it would be awesome.

edit. V-line app suggests that coaches replace trains for all part of the journey until Sunday Aug 25 due to Waurn Ponds works.

I'd love to help but I'm in BrisVegas. I just popped in to see if you can guarantee you'll make an ass of yourself on the trip down too? It might be that carrot the car-pooler needs to say "yes"!

Mantis
17-07-2024, 05:30 PM
I'd love to help but I'm in BrisVegas. I just popped in to see if you can guarantee you'll make an ass of yourself on the trip down too? It might be that carrot the car-pooler needs to say "yes"!

I can't guarantee that!... however, I will promise to only bring up the injustice to the non-selection of Garcia just the once. ;)

chef
17-07-2024, 06:11 PM

Would love to, but we've got a full car sorry.

azabob
17-07-2024, 08:35 PM

GG, Baz is staying with dogs.

mjp
17-07-2024, 09:04 PM

Not to derail the thread, but;

"Inside info or Gut Feel"??

Grantysghost
17-07-2024, 09:47 PM
Hope so.

GVGjr
18-07-2024, 07:22 PM
In Treloar and Naugthon
Out Garcia and Gallagher

bornadog
18-07-2024, 07:24 PM
In Treloar and Naugthon
Out Garcia and Sanders

You mean Gallagher, not Sanders

GVGjr
18-07-2024, 07:26 PM
You mean Gallagher, not Sanders

Sorry Typo and now fixed

GVGjr
18-07-2024, 07:27 PM
Who might be the sub this week?

bornadog
18-07-2024, 07:29 PM
Maybe Sanders

azabob
18-07-2024, 07:30 PM

Bench might help people decide

[27] Joel Freijah,
[11] Jack Macrae,
[30] Lachlan McNeil,
[25] Caleb Poulter,
[9] Ryley Sanders

whythelongface
18-07-2024, 07:31 PM
Some pretty good ins. Good to see Gags have a rest. Has a few things to work on

kruder
18-07-2024, 07:38 PM
Maybe Sanders

100%

1eyedog
18-07-2024, 07:39 PM
In Treloar and Naugthon
Out Garcia and Gallagher

Surely Garcia has signed elsewhere already

GVGjr
18-07-2024, 07:54 PM

Apparently has an offer from Port and the Eagles might have reached out to him.

1eyedog
18-07-2024, 08:17 PM
I'm not a massive Garcia fan but his non-selection is bordering on ridiculous.

Testekill
18-07-2024, 08:18 PM
Garcia must have given his notice; 34 touches, 2 goals and 17 tackles is a monster game even if he was sloppy in the first half of the VFL. Utterly absurd that he couldn't make the team.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2024, 08:18 PM

Yep. Hard to see him playing with us next year.

kruder
18-07-2024, 08:20 PM
BF rumour has it from the west that Garcia has signed with the Dogs for two. I love a good rumour ha

I would have been tempted to play Keath in this one but yeah our defenders did fairly well last week.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2024, 08:23 PM
BF rumour has it from the west that Garcia has signed with the Dogs for two. I love a good rumour ha

That’s crazy……. We give him two years (allegedly) to not give him minutes as a sub or promote him after good form. Why would we blow a list spot like that?

kruder
18-07-2024, 08:28 PM
That’s crazy……. We give him two years (allegedly) to not give him minutes as a sub or promote him after good form. Why would we blow a list spot like that?

If he has signed then have the ability to play the longer game with him, thats my feel. It was obvious watching him in the VFL that he has been told to work on his defensive game.

Grantysghost
Bench might help people decide

[27] Joel Freijah,
[11] Jack Macrae,
[30] Lachlan McNeil,
[25] Caleb Poulter,
[9] Ryley Sanders
Macrae.

Grantysghost
In Treloar and Naugthon
Out Garcia and Gallagher

Please fix Naughton I feel like I have a lisp.

Its like Ibiza!

BornInDroopSt'54
18-07-2024, 08:42 PM

I would have been tempted to play Keath in this one but yeah our defenders did fairly well last week.

Where is the west?
Surely we are west.

The Underdog
18-07-2024, 09:29 PM
I'm not a massive Garcia fan but his non-selection is bordering on ridiculous.

Who does he replace in the selected team?

whythelongface
18-07-2024, 09:40 PM

How are we blowing a list spot? He is only 23 and if he has signed on for a couple more then hopefully he becomes more consistent and is able to hold onto a senior spot. Until then we have a stacked midfield that doesn’t warrant any change for a fringe player. Sure the argument could be he replaces VDM or McNeil but right now they are role players who are obviously doing a job that perhaps Garcia isn’t as good at doing. I don‘t quite get the angst in his non-selection - it is not like he is one of our top liners not getting selected. If he does leave at the end of the year for more opportunities then so be it - certainly West Coast would be a better fit than Port given their midfield, unless Butters comes across to us.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2024, 10:26 PM
How are we blowing a list spot? He is only 23 and if he has signed on for a couple more then hopefully he becomes more consistent and is able to hold onto a senior spot. Until then we have a stacked midfield that doesn’t warrant any change for a fringe player. Sure the argument could be he replaces VDM or McNeil but right now they are role players who are obviously doing a job that perhaps Garcia isn’t as good at doing. I don‘t quite get the angst in his non-selection - it is not like he is one of our top liners not getting selected. If he does leave at the end of the year for more opportunities then so be it - certainly West Coast would be a better fit than Port given their midfield, unless Butters comes across to us.

Tongue in cheek WTF.

FrediKanoute
18-07-2024, 10:45 PM
Garcia must have given his notice; 34 touches, 2 goals and 17 tackles is a monster game even if he was sloppy in the first half of the VFL. Utterly absurd that he couldn't make the team.

Who would you drop? I agree he has played a stellar game, but who that is in the team that he could replace deserved to be dropped?

whythelongface
18-07-2024, 10:56 PM
Tongue in cheek WTF.

Righto. Not sure how one picks that up. Anyway others are questioning his non-selection thus a rebuttal towards that argument.

jeemak
18-07-2024, 11:29 PM
I guess they see Garcia as cover for Libba and Treloar with others playing minor midfield/ half forward roles.

Bullies
19-07-2024, 08:22 AM
Horses for courses as well. If ever Garcia was going to play it would be down at Geelong where he his game style of in close and under would be suited. Would like to see him take on a tagging role which would give him another string and also help him in his game.

azabob
19-07-2024, 08:27 AM
I guess they see Garcia as cover for Libba and Treloar with others playing minor midfield/ half forward roles.

I mentioned in the Garcia v Gallagher thread I think Garcia is competing with Sanders.

Mantis
19-07-2024, 09:43 AM
I mentioned in the Garcia v Gallagher thread I think Garcia is competing with Sanders.

I think you can add in Macrae too who is playing a similar role to Sanders. (high-HF who roles up/ bit part mid)

Personally, I don't think either are offering as much as the role needs and offer no real POD when compared to Garcia.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-07-2024, 09:47 AM

And,it might be water... but it ain't like it's the Sunshine or Gold Coast....

bornadog
19-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Press Conference at 10am via X Spaces

lemmon
19-07-2024, 10:40 AM
I think you can add in Macrae too who is playing a similar role to Sanders. (high-HF who roles up/ bit part mid)

Personally, I don't think either are offering as much as the role needs and offer no real POD when compared to Garcia.

It's mostly semtantics, but I reckon Macrae is predominantly forward/sometimes rolling up as an outside mid where they're trying to drip feed Sanders inside midfield time.

Macrae has only attended CBAs in two games since round 9 - he attended 28% of CBAs against Brisbane and 5% against Freo - he also hasn't attended a CBA in the last 3 rounds.

Over the same period, Sanders has attended 29% of total CBAs on average and attended them in every game.

Gallagher has only attended CBAs in one game (Carlton - 17% of CBAs) in the past 5 rounds.

I'd be playing Garcia over Sanders where I think Macrae offers something a bit different with his clever ball-use off that forward flank.