PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 20 VS Sydney

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Nineteen match against Geelong for our Round Twenty match against Sydney at The SCG on Sunday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
19-07-2024, 07:57 PM
Bump

GVGjr
20-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Hard to see a change or two to this line-up at the moment unless the likes of Liam Jones makes a speedier than expected recovery.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-07-2024, 11:31 PM
Garcia in for Saunders.

I think Saunders had Danger for a lot of the game. But he just fumbles and gets out of position to often.

whythelongface
20-07-2024, 11:35 PM
Garcia in for Saunders.

I think Saunders had Danger for a lot of the game. But he just fumbles and gets out of position to often.

Nathan? ;)

SquirrelGrip
20-07-2024, 11:45 PM
No change. Unless Liam Jones is back and then it gets hard

bornadog
20-07-2024, 11:47 PM
No Change

The Underdog
20-07-2024, 11:54 PM
Nathan? ;)

I would definitely drop Nathan Saunders.
I’d probably keep Ryley Sanders though. Thought he was good overall.
Can’t see an obvious change.

angelopetraglia
20-07-2024, 11:58 PM
No change.

westbulldog
21-07-2024, 12:16 AM
No change.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2024, 08:58 AM
Depends a bit on how tired some of the bodies are after a hard game in the wet.

Buku looked very sore in the last. Sure he’ll recover ok though.

Sanders might be tired / sore after that one.

GVGjr
21-07-2024, 09:43 AM
Depends a bit on how tired some of the bodies are after a hard game in the wet.

Buku looked very sore in the last. Sure he’ll recover ok though.

Sanders might be tired / sore after that one.

Even the fast finishing Ugle-Hagan looked spent at the end of the game. I'd say the team that looks after the recovery of the players will have plenty of work in front of them over the next couple of days.

Mofra
21-07-2024, 09:58 AM
Swans are playing Brisbane today so next week I'd expect they'll be as banged up as we are.

We could feasibly go in a little taller in the backline so JOD/Jones may be a consideration for Coffield who is going 'ok'
Otherwise Sanders gets genuine midfield time at VFL level for Daniel/Garcia. Daniel may be suited to the SCG where you have to kick through the Swans zone.

Can't see any other changes

Critter
21-07-2024, 03:13 PM
Papley looks to be in serious pain with an ankle. Rampe substituted with lower leg injury. Talk is 3 weeks

dog town
21-07-2024, 03:17 PM
Papley looks to be in serious pain with an ankle. Rampe substituted with lower leg injury. Talk is 3 weeks

Blakey landed on his head from 6 feet up and has avoided concussion protocols.

kruder
21-07-2024, 03:27 PM
Are Buku/JOD/Coffield vying for the same role when Jones comes back in to partner Lobb?

Happy Days
21-07-2024, 03:28 PM
I don’t see it at all with Coffield. I didn’t rate him at St Kilda and his ball use is even worse than advertised.

kruder
21-07-2024, 03:34 PM
I don’t see it at all with Coffield. I didn’t rate him at St Kilda and his ball use is even worse than advertised.

I think his ball use will improve he just isn't quite up to speed yet has basically had 2 years off football. I still think he can be a Doc replacement in time.

Critter
21-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Papley injury is serious. Out of the game, major doubt for next week.

angelopetraglia
21-07-2024, 03:53 PM
Rampe also subbed out with a calf.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 03:54 PM
I think his ball use will improve he just isn't quite up to speed yet has basically had 2 years off football. I still think he can be a Doc replacement in time.

He doesn't have the speed of a Duryea.

Mofra
21-07-2024, 04:34 PM
I don't - Doc is hard and agile. Coff is 'neat' and may be composed as a medium defender but he has so much competition including Buks as the 3rd, JOD, Freijah and Cleary.

I was very pro-Coffield at trade time last year and he cost us little as a plug and play type but Freijah coming from nowhere has really changed the equation, and JOD can play on medium talls too.

Bullies
21-07-2024, 04:53 PM
Rampe also subbed out with a calf. A Swans win would have been good. Swans may have rested a few against us knowing top spot was theirs for keeps and being in a position to freshen up a few players. Also would have kept us in touch with Lions.

Bullies
21-07-2024, 05:00 PM
I think his ball use will improve he just isn't quite up to speed yet has basically had 2 years off football. I still think he can be a Doc replacement in time. Coffield aint no Doc unfortunately. Doc's kicking is elite Coffield is a butcher. You need players who can kick in today's game. Can't afford turnovers down back. Look at Hawks no one with ordinary skill gets a game.

Happy Days
21-07-2024, 05:57 PM
Coffield aint no Doc unfortunately. Doc's kicking is elite Coffield is a butcher. You need players who can kick in today's game. Can't afford turnovers down back. Look at Hawks no one with ordinary skill gets a game.

Sam Frost gets a game for them every week

Hotdog60
21-07-2024, 08:10 PM
I don't - Doc is hard and agile. Coff is 'neat' and may be composed as a medium defender but he has so much competition including Buks as the 3rd, JOD, Freijah and Cleary.

I was very pro-Coffield at trade time last year and he cost us little as a plug and play type but Freijah coming from nowhere has really changed the equation, and JOD can play on medium talls too.

If Cleary wasn't contracted for next year (I found that info on a random thread somewhere around here) he might be up for delisting at seasons end. He has his work cut out next year.

CarnTheScray
22-07-2024, 12:56 AM
Honestly I have no idea what the best mix for the backline would be. Would have to say Lobb stays down there, but what happens when it?s time for Jones to come in, will we still be able to execute this Lobb and Khamist strategy as effectively as we have? Maybe it?s just an irrational selection fear.

Bullies
22-07-2024, 07:53 AM
Honestly I have no idea what the best mix for the backline would be. Would have to say Lobb stays down there, but what happens when it?s time for Jones to come in, will we still be able to execute this Lobb and Khamist strategy as effectively as we have? Maybe it?s just an irrational selection fear. We will still need someone to play on the big Gorillas which Jones does so well. Buku is still a work in progress and still struggles to find touch on his opponents. Such a shame we wasted a year on his progress last year when he could have been playing down back in the 2's and learning the caper the same way Buss is at the moment.

Axe Man
22-07-2024, 08:12 PM
Injury Update: Papley, Rampe, Hayward (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1608483/injury-update-papley-rampe-hayward)

Assessments today have confirmed forward Tom Papley sustained a medial ankle ligament injury against Brisbane and will likely miss 4-6 weeks of football.

Dane Rampe’s calf tightness will be assessed by Sydney Swans medical staff on Tuesday.

Will Hayward suffered a lateral ankle sprain in the 2nd quarter against Brisbane but continued to play out the match. He will be a test to play against the Western Bulldogs this Sunday.

Bullies
23-07-2024, 08:21 AM
Injury Update: Papley, Rampe, Hayward (https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/1608483/injury-update-papley-rampe-hayward)

Assessments today have confirmed forward Tom Papley sustained a medial ankle ligament injury against Brisbane and will likely miss 4-6 weeks of football.

Dane Rampe’s calf tightness will be assessed by Sydney Swans medical staff on Tuesday.

Will Hayward suffered a lateral ankle sprain in the 2nd quarter against Brisbane but continued to play out the match. He will be a test to play against the Western Bulldogs this Sunday. Papley seems to have a day out against us each time we play them so that is a bonus. Rampe won't play as he missed 4 weeks earlier in the year with the same calf. Hopefully they will be cautious with Hayward knowing they have either of the top 2 spots sewn up. Rowbottom still likely to be out as well? Maybe a good time to play them up there.

comrade
23-07-2024, 08:50 AM
Papley seems to have a day out against us each time we play them so that is a bonus. Rampe won't play as he missed 4 weeks earlier in the year with the same calf. Hopefully they will be cautious with Hayward knowing they have either of the top 2 spots sewn up. Rowbottom still likely to be out as well? Maybe a good time to play them up there.

Yeah god damn it, I?m starting to believe.

ibonttobreakfree
23-07-2024, 11:31 AM
Team looks pretty settled atm. Sydney's 3-headed monster up forward always challenges us. I still have nightmares from Jamara's debut game when Amartey had a party. Perhaps JOD gets a look but I'm not sure who he would replace. Surely you don't risk Jones at his age by bringing him back early. Can't wait to see the shape down back when he is back. Depth is good. Exciting times.

Axe Man
23-07-2024, 11:40 AM
Team looks pretty settled atm. Sydney's 3-headed monster up forward always challenges us. I still have nightmares from Jamara's debut game when Amartey had a party. Perhaps JOD gets a look but I'm not sure who he would replace. Surely you don't risk Jones at his age by bringing him back early. Can't wait to see the shape down back when he is back. Depth is good. Exciting times.

JOD is out for at least another week or 2 with a hammy. Keath is the only available tall but I'm guessing we probably back in Coffield to play on one of their talls.

mjp
23-07-2024, 11:43 AM
when Amartey had a party.

Amartey has been beyond average lately...any chance he is left out this week??

Mofra
23-07-2024, 11:49 AM
You bastard.
Under the John Butcher rule you've now guaranteed he finds form again this week.

Axe Man
23-07-2024, 11:49 AM

Well they might have been tempted to bring Sam Reid in, but he just retired.

mjp
23-07-2024, 12:09 PM
Well they might have been tempted to bring Sam Reid in, but he just retired.

You would think Sheldrick is a chance to come in (29 and a couple of goals) and play mid with Heeney spitting forward?

I don't think a top side will tolerate performances like those Amartey has been dishing up...enough will be enough at some point.

GVGjr
23-07-2024, 02:04 PM
Unless we are confident that Jones is available I'm okay with matching our boys from last against theirs.

Mantis
23-07-2024, 02:52 PM
Be interested to know how the boys pulled up after a taxing game as that will play a part in selection.

Understand where in good touch so only need to tinker around the edges to match the opposition by bringing in a bit more pace.

In: Jones (if available), Garcia, Baker

Out: Coffield (if Jones comes in), Macrae, Sanders

DOG GOD
23-07-2024, 02:55 PM
You bastard.
Under the John Butcher rule you've now guaranteed he finds form again this week.
Guaranteed

DOG GOD
23-07-2024, 02:57 PM

Not a chance. Didn’t he kick 3 first quarter goals against us earlier in the year ? He’s that average player who can turn it on on his day. Who did he kick 9 against some weeks ago ? All those back men should’ve retired immediately

angelopetraglia
23-07-2024, 06:03 PM
Update this afternoon on Sydney. Papley and Rampe definiltey out. Hayward will probably play.

Tom Papley
Tom sustained a medial ankle ligament injury against Brisbane. He will likely miss 4-6 weeks.

Dane Rampe
Dane sustained a low grade calf strain in the 2nd quarter of Sunday?s game against Brisbane. He is expected to miss 1 ? 2 weeks of football.

Will Hayward
Will?s lateral ankle injury sustained in the match has recovered well. He will be a test to play against the Western Bulldogs this Sunday

angelopetraglia
23-07-2024, 06:07 PM
Sydney goal kickers 2024

Amartey 35
Hayward 30
Papley 30
McDonald 29
Warner 29
Heeney 23

Sydney Shots On Goal 2024

Papley 66
Amartey 60
McDonald 60
Hayward 50
Warner 50
Heeney 37

Sydney Score Involvements 2024

Gulden 150
Warner 148
Heeney 143
Papley 122
Grundy 112
McInerney 105
McDonald 104

bornadog
23-07-2024, 06:08 PM
Not a chance. Didn’t he kick 3 first quarter goals against us earlier in the year ? He’s that average player who can turn it on on his day. Who did he kick 9 against some weeks ago ? All those back men should’ve retired immediately

He has kicked 4 goals in his last 5 matches. Kicked 2.2 against us last time

merantau
23-07-2024, 06:08 PM
If we have all shoulders to the wheel, a la the last weeks, we win. Big game from English and the usual suspects in the midfield, combined with max pressure from our forwards to lock the ball in is the recipe for victory.

Oh, and let's kick straight too!

comrade
23-07-2024, 06:26 PM
Lobb will ruin the Amartey Party.

Mat Lyons
23-07-2024, 06:47 PM
In: L. Jones
Out: Coffield (unlucky)

- Others in the mix for specific tactical match-ups: Garcia, Daniel, Baker, Keath
- Some vulnerability: McNeil, Sanders, Macrae

Final Team:
B: Duryea L. Jones Khamis
HB: Dale Lobb Bramble
C: Treloar Richards Williams
HF: West Ugle-Hagan Macrae
F: West Naughton Darcy
Foll: English Liberatore Bontempelli
Int: Freijah, Vandermeer, Poulter, McNeil
Sub: Sanders
Emerg: Garcia Coffield Daniel

DOG GOD
23-07-2024, 07:17 PM
He has kicked 4 goals in his last 5 matches. Kicked 2.2 against us last time

My bad, but kicking 9 in a previous game tells you he CAN be dangerous if our backline have a bad day.

Bulldog Joe
23-07-2024, 08:45 PM
You bastard.

Amartey has taken his football to a new level this year.

He has actually got possession and kicked goals in games not involving us.
He always seems to do something impactful when he plays us.

Happy Days
24-07-2024, 12:48 AM
That game from earlier this year, Amartey might’ve literally kicked two goals but Jones destroyed him, as well as the rest of the Swans forward line and was best on ground by a mile.

bornadog
24-07-2024, 10:19 AM
Bevo Press Conference at around 9.30 on X Spaces

Angak
24-07-2024, 12:03 PM
Listening to Daniel Hoyne from champion data on Sportsday last night, he was talking about how teams that denied the Swans corridor ball movement had success. He cited Freo, the Saints, and the Lions as teams that did that successfully.

Port had a similar profile, and we allowed them to waltz through our corridor and got cut up. Our midfielders and forwards (including our talls) really need to be on their A game defensively. Cog up the middle of the ground and force them to kick long down the line, which they hate doing. This will bring in the intercepting abilities of Lobb, Buku, and Jonesy into the game.

Axe Man
24-07-2024, 12:21 PM
Listening to Daniel Hoyne from champion data on Sportsday last night, he was talking about how teams that denied the Swans corridor ball movement had success. He cited Freo, the Saints, and the Lions as teams that did that successfully.

Port had a similar profile, and we allowed them to waltz through our corridor and got cut up. Our midfielders and forwards (including our talls) really need to be on their A game defensively. Cog up the middle of the ground and force them to kick long down the line, which they hate doing. This will bring in the intercepting abilities of Lobb, Buku, and Jonesy into the game.

Minor blip or major worries? Why stuttering Swans won't panic (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1179024/minor-blip-or-major-worries-why-stuttering-sydney-swans-wont-panic)

But, in close contests over the last month, have the likes of Fremantle, St Kilda and then Brisbane shown a blueprint for how to beat Sydney? If they have, it revolves around forcing the Swans slow and wide.

Sydney wants to control the ball and change angles to force its way through. But, on the weekend, Brisbane forced 22 long down-the-line kicks. It was easily the most of the season for the Swans, way above an average of 11 that ranks as the third-fewest in the competition.

Champion Data also notes only six per cent of Sydney's kicks from defensive 50 went through the corridor in last Sunday's defeat to Brisbane. That was well below an average of 24 per cent, that normally ranks as the second-most in the League.

From this, Sydney generated just 48 inside 50s all game ? the club's second lowest total of the season ? but those entries also came from far less dangerous places on the ground.

That's because, according to Champion Data, Sydney only entered the forward 50 from the corridor 33 per cent of the time. That was its third-lowest number for the entire season and below an average of 43 per cent, which ranks fractionally behind Carlton as the second-most in the competition.

The culmination of that slower, less dangerous ball movement was how often Sydney retained entries inside its forward 50. Champion Data notes the Swans' retention rate of 44 per cent on Sunday was their third-lowest of the year, well below an average of 54 per cent that had previously ranked No.1 in the League.

Forcing a side to go slow and wide isn't necessarily a revolutionary tactic to winning games of football. But when that side has the type of talented, explosive jets like Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner and Errol Gulden, it might be an opposition's only hope.

mjp
24-07-2024, 01:38 PM

I agree, but he kicked 9-goals in 2 quarters vs Adelaide...it's been bloody lean times outside of that and something is gonna give...

Axe Man
24-07-2024, 01:51 PM

I'm not sure he's done that much against us - he's kicked 6 goals in 5 games.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 12:46 PM
Liam jones will be named in the team tomorrow according to Sam Landsberger, but still needs to get through training on Friday.

Who comes out?

I would drop Coffield and no other change.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2024, 03:02 PM
Amartey is bloody average.

Not hard for him to go to a 'new level' - he was on the floor prior to this year.

Mantis
25-07-2024, 05:12 PM
Be interested to see what we do with Macrae this week.

We have been pretty consistent in omitting the sub from the previous week, but generally it?s more of a ?fringe? player in the role.

Not sure he?s really suited to playing the role that he does both against the Swans and at that this ground.

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2024, 05:44 PM
Be interested to see what we do with Macrae this week.

We have been pretty consistent in omitting the sub from the previous week, but generally it?s more of a ?fringe? player in the role.

Not sure he?s really suited to playing the role that he does both against the Swans and at that this ground.
Different this week as there is no VFL to give him a run.

angelopetraglia
25-07-2024, 07:23 PM
In: Baker, Daniel, Garcia, Jones
Out: Sanders (managed)

GVGjr
So Sanders is out due to being managed.

Jones, Garcia, Baker and Daniel are in.

angelopetraglia
Swans

In: Mills, Wicks, Mitchell, Frances, Ladhams
Out: Rampe, Papley

angelopetraglia
25-07-2024, 07:25 PM
Interchange for Dogs:

Baker
Daniel
Freijah
Garica
JOnes
Macrae
McNeil
Poulter

angelopetraglia
25-07-2024, 07:26 PM
BULLDOGS

B: T.Duryea, B.Khamis, N.Coffield

HB: L.Bramble, R.Lobb, B.Dale

C: L.Vandermeer, E.Richards, B.Williams

HF: A.Treloar, A.Naughton, J.Ugle-Hagan

F: C.Weightman, S.Darcy, R.West

FOLL: T.English, M.Bontempelli - C, T.Liberatore

I/C (FROM): O.Baker, C.Daniel, J.Freijah, R.Garcia, L.Jones, L.McNeil, C.Poulter

In: O.Baker, C.Daniel, R.Garcia, L.Jones

Out: R.Sanders (Managed)

whythelongface
25-07-2024, 07:27 PM
Good ins. Tough call as to whom doesn’t make the bench. Surely Jones will play

SquirrelGrip
25-07-2024, 07:29 PM
Good ins. Tough call as to whom doesn’t make the bench. Surely Jones will play

Many of us thought Jones would replace Coffield, but if Jones plays, you’d think Freijah can’t play in backline too. Wonder if we’d keep in in the team and play him on a wing?

Grantysghost
25-07-2024, 07:46 PM
I reckon it's Jones and Garcia in for Macrae and Sanders.

Pleather Sole
25-07-2024, 08:03 PM
Many of us thought Jones would replace Coffield, but if Jones plays, you’d think Freijah can’t play in backline too. Wonder if we’d keep in in the team and play him on a wing?

Would love to see Freijah on a wing. His kicking accuracy is good, could be a sizzling set play from a kick in.

merantau
25-07-2024, 08:07 PM
This is a real conundrum. I thought Macrae was very solid against Carlton and was unlucky to be the sub last game. Sanders was solid against Geelong but I'm okay with him being rested.

Freijah must play. He has all the attributes required to deal with the demands of a high pressure contest. If Jones comes up roses then Coffield is the one who will make way for him.

I'd like to see Garcia get a run. As for the sub - McNeil, Poulter or Daniel. Now my head is spinning!

Grantysghost
25-07-2024, 08:12 PM
Not sure Jacko is part of the future.

I'd rather play Garcia.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Dale plays his 150th and Jones (if playing), his 100th for the Bulldogs

jDogs
25-07-2024, 09:50 PM
I just feel like Jones won't play. Bevo is just much too honest to name him on field then have him replaced late. He doesn't play dirty games like Chris Scott. I'm guessing it will be Garcia for Sanders and Macrae as the sub.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 10:09 PM
I just feel like Jones won't play. Bevo is just much too honest to name him on field then have him replaced late. He doesn't play dirty games like Chris Scott. I'm guessing it will be Garcia for Sanders and Macrae as the sub.

He will be tested tomorrow to see whether he is fit to play.

macca
25-07-2024, 10:32 PM
Liam jones has now played 189 games

The best bit about this is he spent 95 games being paid by Carlton learning to be a defender.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 10:36 PM

The best bit about this is he spent 95 games being paid by Carlton learning to be a defender.

194 games - 95 for Carlton and 99 for us

The Adelaide Connection
25-07-2024, 10:39 PM

This would be extra sweet if he pumps out a whole bunch of absolute jet Father-Sons/Father-daughters and Carlton miss the claim on them by those 5 games.

macca
25-07-2024, 11:00 PM
194 games - 95 for Carlton and 99 for us

@bornadog, I got my source from wiki, so that may be wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Jones

bornadog
25-07-2024, 11:58 PM
@bornadog, I got my source from wiki, so that may be wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Jones

Check Bulldogs website.

Kingbiggs
26-07-2024, 10:42 AM

We've got milestones almost every game for the rest of the year.

Dale 150 & Maybe Jones 100 (for us) this week
Treloar 250 & McNeil & Bramble 50 v Dees
Macrae 250 v NM
B Williams 150 v Giants & Bevo equals EJ's coaching record of 228

Hopefully we can repay them by winning all

mjp
26-07-2024, 11:39 AM
We've got milestones almost every game for the rest of the year.

Dale 150 & Maybe Jones 100 (for us) this week
Treloar 250 & McNeil & Bramble 50 v Dees
Macrae 250 v NM
B Williams 150 v Giants & Bevo equals EJ's coaching record of 228

Hopefully we can repay them by winning all

Any chance Macrae gets left out and doesn't make it?

With 7-games to go, Jack Darling was on 293...and got dropped. I always wonder about things like this...we're playing for 'STUFF' so the MC should do what they choose but WC were playing for nothing and still dropped him...

Kingbiggs
26-07-2024, 11:59 AM
Any chance Macrae gets left out and doesn't make it?

With 7-games to go, Jack Darling was on 293...and got dropped. I always wonder about things like this...we're playing for 'STUFF' so the MC should do what they choose but WC were playing for nothing and still dropped him...

He only needs 4 more games to get there, should play on Sunday, I see no reason for him to be dropped.

mjp
26-07-2024, 12:58 PM
He only needs 4 more games to get there, should play on Sunday, I see no reason for him to be dropped.

Other than the whole "Macrae was the sub last week and didn't get on the field and whenever that's happened this year that player played VFL the next week" thing??

Axe Man
26-07-2024, 01:05 PM
Other than the whole "Macrae was the sub last week and didn't get on the field and whenever that's happened this year that player played VFL the next week" thing??

No VFL this week sort of makes that redundant.

Pleather Sole
26-07-2024, 01:23 PM

Macrae came on 4th quarter, Sanders came off.

mjp
26-07-2024, 02:04 PM
Macrae came on 4th quarter, Sanders came off.

Yeah - I know...but it wasn't for long. He still would have been doing post-game running I'd suspect.

bornadog
26-07-2024, 06:05 PM
In Jones, Daniel, Garcia

out, Macrea, Freijah, Sanders

Axe Man
26-07-2024, 06:06 PM
Bench:
[35] Caleb Daniel,
[38] Riley Garcia,
[19] Liam Jones,
[30] Lachlan McNeil,
[25] Caleb Poulter

Daniel the sub?

GVGjr
26-07-2024, 06:07 PM
Bench:
[35] Caleb Daniel,
[38] Riley Garcia,
[19] Liam Jones,
[30] Lachlan McNeil,
[25] Caleb Poulter

Daniel the sub?

Big chance I'd say.

Axe Man
26-07-2024, 06:08 PM
out, Macrea, Freijah, Sanders

All a chance to return fresh for Melbourne next week?

bornadog
26-07-2024, 06:10 PM

good to have some choices

angelopetraglia
26-07-2024, 06:10 PM

Yes. I think you are spot on with that take.

Happy Days
26-07-2024, 06:33 PM
I actually don’t mind rotating the tyres of the lesser mids. Last week would’ve been a slog.

Of course that requires you to ignore that the twos also played in that swamp but it should help next week too.

kruder
26-07-2024, 06:44 PM
Really liked Caleb?s game last week made a few kicks that he just hasn?t been going for this year a real step in the right direction. His tackle/smother late was outstanding also to stop a score. Just a question on where he plays but 35m angular kicks at the SCG could be handy indeed.

bornadog
26-07-2024, 06:45 PM
Really liked Caleb?s game last week made a few kicks that he just hasn?t been going for this year a real step in the right direction. His tackle/smother late was outstanding also to stop a score. Just a question on where he plays but 35m angular kicks at the SCG could be handy indeed.
Where would you play him.

angelopetraglia
26-07-2024, 07:46 PM

Agree. Small ground with congestion. Finding space is important. Harder to get exposed with pace too.

kruder
26-07-2024, 08:19 PM
Where would you play him.

I'm more comfortable with him playing BF now we have height/intercepting ability down there, take Freijah's role.

I'm really keen to see Garcia in the 22 though, not an easy choice for sub. Get rid of the dam thing not a fan of it at all particularly how conservative we are with it.

The Pie Man
26-07-2024, 08:24 PM
MacRae managed…..wasn’t he kinda managed last week?

I don’t care, it’s a good side - just weird messaging.

Caleb should play, he’s an asset on compressed grounds like the SCG.

azabob
26-07-2024, 08:43 PM
I think we are unbalanced with Coffield playing.

Would have preferred to play Freijah, Macrae or Baker.

1eyedog
26-07-2024, 09:14 PM
Is Coffield, Khamis, Lobb and Jones weird?

Scorlibo
26-07-2024, 11:07 PM

Agreed, no way known should we be playing with 4 defenders who have no offensive weaponry.

Freijah's last quarter last week was a new benchmark, so a bit of a head scratcher as to why he's not in the team, unless it truly is some kind of niggle.

Happy Days
27-07-2024, 09:21 AM

I agree that we’re unbalanced in the sense that Coffield sucks and we should play someone good instead.

jeemak
27-07-2024, 06:34 PM
I agree that we’re unbalanced in the sense that Coffield sucks and we should play someone good instead.

Ha. I'll wait and see if you're right as he's had a long while out, but I still found it funny.

jeemak
28-07-2024, 01:58 AM
The SCG has more space than Docklands (mainly due to its width and shape), though the camera angle and distance from the play doesn't show it.

How's this throwback to nine and a half years ago when a very good looking but silly poster said the grounds were too small:

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?14361-AFL-Ground-Dimensions-and-Standard-of-Play&highlight=

Anyway, back to selection. I don't know if we're being cute, or just rewarding performances without being honest about removing players from a winning side. But multiple players out "managed" feels a bit shit to me.

I hope Garcia takes his chance if he genuinely gets one. If we're humming something tells me the coach would want Daniel being a part of it so him going well tomorrow would be a big deal.

mjp
28-07-2024, 12:02 PM
I hope Garcia takes his chance if he genuinely gets one. If we're humming something tells me the coach would want Daniel being a part of it so him going well tomorrow would be a big deal.

100% agree with the Caleb part.

Seems to have conducted himself really well, leadership group, good team-mate...

Would love it if he could find a way in.

Grantysghost
28-07-2024, 01:09 PM
100% agree with the Caleb part.

Seems to have conducted himself really well, leadership group, good team-mate...

Would love it if he could find a way in.
Was first in line in the rooms last week congratulating the players.
I also heard him speaking to a supporter at a function and he's attitude was of course he'd rather be playing however he's doing all he can to make that happen.
Very situation appropriate answer however it was pretty genuine I think considering the event.

Pleather Sole
28-07-2024, 02:55 PM
Windy as all gettout today in Sydney. WSWester pulsing strong at 33km. Gusts between 44-56kms forecast during the game.
Three wind warnings current including 1 for gale force winds on the coast. Been a while since I've been to a footy game at the SCG but you can smell the ocean on blowy days. Can't remember which end has the more open stadia? The toss might be more influential than usual.
Accurate kicks at a premium. I'm not a fan of a high ratio of handballs but it might be required. Keeping your head in these conditions could be the difference.

I'd be leaning toward Daniel, Freijah, Macrae, Garcia and Jones. Out Coffield, Poulter, McNeil.
Can do it if the winning Bulldogs team show up.