PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 21 VS Melbourne

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty match against Sydney for our Round Twenty-One match against Melbourne at Marvel on Friday Night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
27-07-2024, 06:33 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 06:50 PM
Hard to drop players after today.

JanLorMill
28-07-2024, 07:21 PM
Out Away umpiring
In Home umpiring

Bumper Bulldogs
28-07-2024, 07:29 PM
Not sure about any of the stating 22. But I?m not convinced that Daniel is the right selection as a sub. I recon that we have gone past him and he is Left behind.

angelopetraglia
28-07-2024, 07:30 PM

We said that last week and there were three changes. Five day break. I think we will make some changes.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 07:35 PM
We said that last week and there were three changes. Five day break. I think we will make some changes.

If Coffield is sore I can see Freijah being more relevant to Melbourne’s forward line. We seem to rotate the sub out too. Not sure if he comes in or out.

I’d like to see players at Footscray build some form and pressure on spots. That hunger will be great in the last month.

Dogs 24/7
28-07-2024, 07:43 PM

We don't drop players...someone might get managed :)

The Underdog
28-07-2024, 07:48 PM
Think the 5 day break has a huge say.
Doubt on Coffield, do Macrae or Sanders come in for Garcia? Not a lot missing out on form that’s for sure.

westdog54
28-07-2024, 07:49 PM
If Coffield is sore I can see Freijah being more relevant to Melbourne’s forward line. We seem to rotate the sub out too. Not sure if he comes in or out.

I’d like to see players at Footscray build some form and pressure on spots. That hunger will be great in the last month.

Resting Freijah was a good decision. Not sure he would have handled the five day break.

Do Sanders and Macrae come back in?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 07:52 PM
Think the 5 day break has a huge day.
Doubt on Coffield, do Macrae or Sanders come in for Garcia? Not a lot missing out on form that’s for sure.

The thing, getting a bit ahead of things, is any older player needing a week off to hit the last three weeks and then hopefully get another week off before a potential first final? Would a guy like Libba or even Bont get cherry ripe with a week off for the run home and then get another boost with another week off?

Also, will the fitness boss increase the running loads if we are playing finals and will we need to manage that extra fatigue as well?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 07:53 PM
Resting Freijah was a good decision. Not sure he would have handled the five day break.

Do Sanders and Macrae come back in?

If they do, it’s probably for Garcia and I’d like to give him another week. Per my post just now, if we need/want to rotate mids for strategic reasons then perhaps.

angelopetraglia
28-07-2024, 08:20 PM
Tom Morris

For the first time since 1996, the Western Bulldogs will be known as 'Footscray' next week... All for Retro Round.

Bumper Bulldogs
28-07-2024, 08:54 PM
Tom Morris

For the first time since 1996, the Western Bulldogs will be known as 'Footscray' next week... All for Retro Round.

Oh my God I love this. It will
Be the icing on the cake after a huge win over the dees

Scraggers
28-07-2024, 09:13 PM
Tom Morris

‘Carn the Scraggers

ledge
28-07-2024, 09:23 PM

Problem is the vfl had a bye .. again.

The Doctor
28-07-2024, 10:45 PM
Out: VDM

Mitcha
29-07-2024, 12:29 PM
Coffield looked sore but either way he makes way for Freijah, similar height but covers the ground much better and has more versatility. I think Caleb misses out for either Macrae or Sanders. Caleb seems positionless and we will most likely need a bit more inside grunt against the snow bunnies as their around the ball pressure was quite good against the Giants which is why Garcia also holds his spot.

Happy Days
29-07-2024, 12:38 PM
I’m hesitant to change the side but I think we rested Macrae and Sanders purposefully. I’d be happy enough to leave Sanders out to keep Garcia in; Garcia was pretty poor and a bit selfish but since he got dropped after good games maybe that’s just him actually playing his role, who actually knows.

Otherwise I’d get Jack back in for someone, maybe Williams but I don’t really want to drop him either. Tough work this week.

Jeanette54
29-07-2024, 03:38 PM
Out: VDM

I would want to watch the game again, but I think Vanders was instrumental on applying turnover pressure on several occasions during the game. I get why he is regularly selected. His ability to close down space is impressive.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 10:52 AM
Bevo presser around 10am live on X Spaces

bornadog
01-08-2024, 11:49 AM
Bevo

* JOD will play VFL

* Spoke about resting younger players but didn't give insight into who will come in.

lemmon
01-08-2024, 12:01 PM
Bevo

* JOD will play VFL

* Spoke about resting younger players but didn't give insight into who will come in.

It was a pretty mature 22 that played on the weekend, so tough to see who he might be referring to. Darcy is a youngster but has had a good recent rest, Poulter might be one but I think he's building solid momentum and Garcia hasn't played much.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 12:30 PM
It was a pretty mature 22 that played on the weekend, so tough to see who he might be referring to. Darcy is a youngster but has had a good recent rest, Poulter might be one but I think he's building solid momentum and Garcia hasn't played much.

Going by the presser, I think no change. Maybe Caleb comes in and Garcia to sub?

bornadog
01-08-2024, 02:55 PM
Full presser here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1615278/luke-beveridge-im-always-emotional-around-the-football-club?videoId=1615278&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1722476020001)

Mofra
01-08-2024, 05:29 PM
Going by the presser, I think no change. Maybe Caleb comes in and Garcia to sub?
Perhaps Macrae to sub?
Macrae or CD as the 23rd player picked is one hell of a problem to have. Most coaches would kill for that choice.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 05:29 PM
Perhaps Macrae to sub?
Macrae or CD as the 23rd player picked is one hell of a problem to have. Most coaches would kill for that choice.

Possible, which means CD is dropped.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 07:23 PM
Team unchanged

GVGjr
So as predicted in the Doggy-Bag Takeaway from yesterdays training session there is no change from our line-up against the Swans.

bornadog
So as predicted in the Doggy-Bag Takeaway from yesterday’s training session there is no change from our line-up against the Swans.
Who subs?

comrade
01-08-2024, 07:27 PM
Who subs?

I?d go with Caleb again.

GVGjr
01-08-2024, 07:51 PM
Who subs?

It should be Daniel again but probably Poulter

josie
01-08-2024, 08:11 PM
Should we be concerned Jones is on sub list? Possibly was last week - cannot recall.

Stevo
01-08-2024, 08:18 PM
Should we be concerned Jones is on sub list? Possibly was last week - cannot recall.

From memory he was on the bench last week. You gotta trust the training reports :)

bornadog
01-08-2024, 08:46 PM
It should be Daniel again but probably Poulter

I think it will be Garcia.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-08-2024, 09:08 PM
Let?s hope not. Daniel as sub for me.

I would love to match Garcia up on Very new for the night. See who comes out on top. I recon Garcia would drive him mad even without the ball anywhere near them.

josie
01-08-2024, 09:27 PM

I think Garcia is promising and was pretty good in tight situations with his quick thinking and speed, however I think he can be undisciplined eg on Sunday after free awarded to Swans inside our F50 I think he almost cost team 50m penalty trying to be tough (probably should have been) inside our F50 on weekend. There was I think a tackle too where he took it a bit far and it was a free to GWS. I think he has a bit of white line fever and just needs to rein it in a notch. Having said this I hope he is not sub and Caleb or Macrae is. Poulter has been good and really hope he’s in starting line up too.

Uninformed
01-08-2024, 09:36 PM
So as predicted in the Doggy-Bag Takeaway from yesterdays training session there is no change from our line-up against the Swans.

Superbly done!

The bulldog tragician
01-08-2024, 10:31 PM
It is painful to say it but in his brief sub appearance last week Caleb did not inspire. He slowed up play - has definitely lost confidence in his kicking - and then there was the inevitable backline mismatch or two. If he comes into the selected side I’m not sure of his spot, and to be sub again seems a bit weird and even unfair on him.

Happy Days
01-08-2024, 11:12 PM
I’d be really surprised if Poulter is the sub. He’s playing a very clearly defined role.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 11:26 PM
I think Garcia is promising and was pretty good in tight situations with his quick thinking and speed, however I think he can be undisciplined eg on Sunday after free awarded to Swans inside our F50 I think he almost cost team 50m penalty trying to be tough (probably should have been) inside our F50 on weekend. There was I think a tackle too where he took it a bit far and it was a free to GWS. I think he has a bit of white line fever and just needs to rein it in a notch. Having said this I hope he is not sub and Caleb or Macrae is. Poulter has been good and really hope he’s in starting line up too.

Macrae not picked Josie.

Pleather Sole
02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
It is painful to say it but in his brief sub appearance last week Caleb did not inspire. He slowed up play - has definitely lost confidence in his kicking - and then there was the inevitable backline mismatch or two. If he comes into the selected side I’m not sure of his spot, and to be sub again seems a bit weird and even unfair on him.

Agreed, he's not a great choice as sub these days. Time has caught up with him. I'd like to see him at FF or HF rotating with the small fwds.
I know the line-up can often mean nothing but when I saw Vandermeer listed at centre it made me wonder if he might find his mojo there. McNeil plays well as sub and has a real impact, especially now as he seems to have settled his nerves a notch.