PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 22 VS Adelaide

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 08:05 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty-One match against Melbourne for our Round Twenty-Two match against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Sunday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
01-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
02-08-2024, 10:36 PM
In: Sanders, anyone but Coffield
Out: Garcia, Coffield

Hotdog60
02-08-2024, 11:21 PM

I agree and I would debut Buss for Coffield.

meenies
02-08-2024, 11:27 PM
Garcia is our new Jose

lemmon
02-08-2024, 11:45 PM
In: Freijah, Sanders
Out: Coffield, McNeil

I think Coffield needs to go back and find some touch - his defensive game isn't there and ball use is not up to it. Freijah deserves his spot in the side.

Tough on McNeil but I'd like to reward Sanders' Footscray form.

westbulldog
03-08-2024, 12:29 AM
In: Freijah, Sanders, Macrae
Out: Coffield, McNeil, Daniel

The Underdog
03-08-2024, 12:57 AM
Out: Coffield, McNeil

I think Coffield needs to go back and find some touch - his defensive game isn't there and ball use is not up to it. Freijah deserves his spot in the side.

Tough on McNeil but I'd like to reward Sanders' Footscray form.

Agree on Freijah for Coff. Although I feel like the MC likes him. If we bring in Sanders for McNeil, who plays McNeil’s role?
It’s hard to appreciate it but he’s doing some hugely unselfish work. Could see Sanders for Daniel. Caleb didn’t get much of a run, but he looks like the game is passing him by.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2024, 12:57 AM
Coffield has been disappointing, think he makes way for JOD if fit.

Not convinced on Khamis who gets lost far too often, but does have an ability to intercept.

I would consider the pair of Freijah and JOD for Coffield and Khamis.

At this point we either give Daniel a full game or drop him. Sub isn't the answer.

Scraggers
03-08-2024, 02:41 AM
Talk on radio is Libba hurt his ankle. Anyone know if this? Is there anything here we need to worry about?

westdog54
03-08-2024, 05:58 AM
Talk on radio is Libba hurt his ankle. Anyone know if this? Is there anything here we need to worry about?

Abby Holmes was told by the club that the sub was purely a management/tactical one.

merantau
03-08-2024, 07:22 AM
Coffield was slow to react at times. Buku got caught ball watching and didn't attack the ball enough but still enough to retain his spot. I think Freijah comes in.

I thought Vandemeer muffed a lot of good opportunities but was in the action a lot more than McNeil. I still think there's a place for Macrae in the side now that we will be playing finals. And Sanders too has to be in the mix along with JOD

Bumper Bulldogs
03-08-2024, 08:33 AM
Out Coffield and Daniel. JOD in for Coff, MacCrea to replace Daniel as the sub.

Now the real problem I see is we surly can?t not reward Saunders after a game like that but honestly not sure who we drop after a win like that. Honestly it may be Libba. Just to freshen him up for one last final assault on the Finals

dog town
03-08-2024, 08:50 AM
I reckon Richards rolled into Libbas ankle at one point, hopefully nothing serious. McNeil, VDM and any of our small pressure forwards should not be dropped to squeeze a mid in, playing an enormous role.

GVGjr
03-08-2024, 09:17 AM

He definitely rolled it late in the 3rd but with the game as good as won we weren't taking and chances so the sub was made.
Bont also spent more time on the bench in the last quarter than he otherwise would have so there was a real management.
Jones and Lobb also got off the ground from some rests last night and they normally play 100%

comrade
03-08-2024, 09:56 AM
Out: Coffield, Daniel

Some unlucky blokes on our list right now.

Mofra
03-08-2024, 10:11 AM
Freijah for Coffield.

Baker potentially for McNeill but I think Lachie gets another week.
Harsh on Macrae & Sanders who deserve AFL time but there's nobody who doesn't deserve their shot. I really like Daniel as a sub as he steps on the field and gets the pace of the game straight away.

Go_Dogs
03-08-2024, 10:26 AM
Out: Coffield, Daniel

Some unlucky blokes on our list right now.

Agree with this.

JF deserves a return to the side, Sanders too. Think we’ve protected them a few weeks now and a good opportunity to travel to Adelaide with the side.

It’s going to be interesting to see whether we favour this approach (young players) or the experience (Daniel, Coffield etc) for a push into finals. I hope it’s the former but wouldn’t be surprised if we went with the latter.

GVGjr
03-08-2024, 10:27 AM
Freijah for Coffield.

Baker potentially for McNeill but I think Lachie gets another week.
Harsh on Macrae & Sanders who deserve AFL time but there's nobody who doesn't deserve their shot. I really like Daniel as a sub as he steps on the field and gets the pace of the game straight away.

I think it gives us a slightly better balance as well. A group of us last night were discussing what changes might happen and most went for Freijah to replace Coffield and Sanders for Daniel.

DOG GOD
03-08-2024, 10:30 AM
If we are going to play this kamikaze style we can only play 1 of Daniel, macrae and sanders. Can?t have slow players. Freij has to come in for coffield. Already a superior player in both run and disposal.

Rocco Jones
03-08-2024, 01:09 PM
Seeing calls for Sanders/Macrae type to replace McNeil/Vanders each week... I get it, they are/seem significantly 'better' individual players but CBAs are limited and our team is showing so much chemistry. It's a thankless job, but the pressure small forward role really prioritises speed and pressure. Feels crazy play McNeil and/or Vanders over guys who destroy it at VFL level in the middle, but would Sanders/Macrae add more value forward?

Also with the sub. It's really coming to the pointy end of the season now where we've had/have to win every game to be a top 4 chance. Macrae has been sub one and Daniel twice over the last 3. I think we will go with Macrae, Daniel or Harmes (if not all in best 22) as sub as it's really hard for a non vet to come in and not get lost.

For next week:

I'd go Freijah for Coff. Think it improves us whilst not risking disrupting structure.

Macrae or Daniel as sub.

mighty_west
03-08-2024, 01:41 PM
Can't go with Daniel as sub 3 weeks in a row, needs a full game in the VFL so i'd go Daniel, Coffield out for Freijah and Sanders with Garcia as sub.

bornadog
03-08-2024, 01:46 PM
Coffield has been disappointing, but I think he will be better next year with another preseason after his retched run with injuries and lack of games over the past few years. He really needs to fix up his field kicking as well.

kruder
03-08-2024, 01:50 PM
Coffield has been disappointing, but I think he will be better next year with another preseason after his retched run with injuries and lack of games over the past few years. He really needs to fix up his field kicking as well.

I haven't lost faith I still think he can make an impact, he is still a little rushed but just needs continuity.

kruder
03-08-2024, 01:52 PM

The club dropped Garcia for his lack of accountability he had 7 tackles last night I cant seem them dropping him. He could have a better game with ball in hand but he is better than Sanders at this stage.

The Doctor
03-08-2024, 02:09 PM
I'd be reluctant to make any changes now unless forced. We are winning so let's not fiddle with it.

Keeping the team together and settled is important. It's also important to back in the fringe players now that we have decided to go with them. Keep rising their confidence.

Freijah would be my next in line if we felt Daniel needs to play a full game at Footscray.

1eyedog
03-08-2024, 02:14 PM
Anyone for Coffield at the moment needs to build confidence through the VFL.

Mitcha
03-08-2024, 02:19 PM
Coffields lack of leg speed and questionable decision making make me nervous as the intensity of the game will go up a notch in September. Nothing to lose by putting Smokin Joe Frazier back in in that role. Would also swap Daniel with Macrae for added hardness around the ball, Sanders stiff.

Mofra
03-08-2024, 02:22 PM
The club dropped Garcia for his lack of accountability he had 7 tackles last night I cant seem them dropping him. He could have a better game with ball in hand but he is better than Sanders at this stage.
Sanders is a better player, but right now Garcia is better at the AFL role either would play

Happy Days
03-08-2024, 03:07 PM
I’d do Comrade’s changes too. Gotta reward a game like that from Sanders.

Grantysghost
03-08-2024, 03:10 PM
Sanders is a better player, but right now Garcia is better at the AFL role either would play
Sanders can bide his time he has plenty of it.
We can not change the team at the moment unless it's for injury.

Garcia is a must for mine.

Grantysghost
03-08-2024, 03:13 PM
Anyone for Coffield at the moment needs to build confidence through the VFL.
Coff will be important at the pointy end. I want to pump as many games into him as we can.
Freijah is young, I'm happy to stick with Coffield although he had some poor moments last night.

comrade
03-08-2024, 03:25 PM
No calls for McNeil or VDM to be dropped for probably the first time in?well?ever!

angelopetraglia
03-08-2024, 03:32 PM
Abby Holmes was told by the club that the sub was purely a management/tactical one.

Libba on "Roaming Brian" said he rolled his ankle.

kruder
04-08-2024, 10:08 AM
VDM also had a tight hammy was reported on 7 by Cleary.

whythelongface
04-08-2024, 10:19 AM
Coff will be important at the pointy end. I want to pump as many games into him as we can.
Freijah is young, I'm happy to stick with Coffield although he had some poor moments last night.

Tend to agree with Coffield. Looks like a solid unit but lacks some composure with the ball in hand. If it is not Coffield then Friejah comes in. Not sure it is the right time for Buss to debut.

GVGjr
04-08-2024, 12:41 PM
VDM also had a tight hammy was reported on 7 by Cleary.

We should be able to confirm that his on Tuesday

azabob
04-08-2024, 01:35 PM
As Doc mentioned we need to start locking down our best 23 players and best two words in footy this time of year when it comes to team selection is NO CHANGE.

Looking ahead;

From Fridays team players vulnerable to form lapses are; Daniel, Garcia, Khamis, Coffield, McNeil, Poulter, Lobb

Possibles are: Sanders, Freijah, Macrae, Gallagher, Keath, Baker, Harmes and JOD. Some reasonable depth if the last two can get on the park. Tony Scott, Gardener and JJ would also be considered but they are too far gone injury wise IMO.

The way I see it is

Daniel is competing with Macrae and Harmes
Sanders is competing with Garcia
Poulter is competing with Gallagher and Baker
Khamis, Coffield, are competing with Freijah, JOD
Lobb is competing with himself and Keath
McNeil is competing with himself

This week I would bring in Freijah for Coffield. I am not sold on Khamis but JOD is the logical replacement but has not strung together more than two games since our disaster in Adelaide.

Bullies
04-08-2024, 03:50 PM
Coffield was slow to react at times. Buku got caught ball watching and didn't attack the ball enough but still enough to retain his spot. I think Freijah comes in.

I thought Vandemeer muffed a lot of good opportunities but was in the action a lot more than McNeil. I still think there's a place for Macrae in the side now that we will be playing finals. And Sanders too has to be in the mix along with JOD Buku is fine if he can play loose man/interceptor on the back line but as you say when he has to play on an opponent he gets caught ball watching. He has no touch or awareness on his opponent. Sides will play through whoever Buku is on.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-08-2024, 09:18 PM
The way I see it is

Daniel is competing with Macrae and Harmes
Sanders is competing with Garcia
Poulter is competing with Gallagher and Baker
Khamis, Coffield, are competing with Freijah, JOD
Lobb is competing with himself and Keath
McNeil is competing with himself

Ok I agree with your views. Well done by the way I would rate them in order as below
Harmes, Macrae the Daniel. We need pace and grunt.
Garcia then Sanders only as Garcia has mongrel In him. This is important in September
Baker, Poulter then gags. Experience is needed in September
JOD, Coffield, Khamis then Freijah. This is the hardest line as it will depend on role and match ups game day
Lobb any day over Keith. Keith is cooked

Anyway what a great position to be in and we hope they stay healthy as it could be anything come September

jeemak
04-08-2024, 09:42 PM
I'm not as down on Coffield as others are. He's versatile in terms of who he can play on and given his time out of the game the past few years has plenty of improvement in him most likely.

On the same thread, I'm not as positive as others are on Garcia. He was better this week but really ****s about with it and this can make him kick it in the air a bit. I do like his intent and he seems to be a bit less prone to ill-discipline than he has been in the past.

The bulldog tragician
05-08-2024, 12:54 AM
Ok I agree with your views. Well done by the way I would rate them in order as below
Harmes, Macrae the Daniel. We need pace and grunt.
Garcia then Sanders only as Garcia has mongrel In him. This is important in September
Baker, Poulter then gags. Experience is needed in September
JOD, Coffield, Khamis then Freijah. This is the hardest line as it will depend on role and match ups game day
Lobb any day over Keith. Keith is cooked

Anyway what a great position to be in and we hope they stay healthy as it could be anything come September

I think Poulter has gone past Baker who has only played 39 games and never found consistency. I?ve been impressed with his last few weeks.

jeemak
05-08-2024, 01:32 AM
I think Poulter has gone past Baker who has only played 39 games and never found consistency. I?ve been impressed with his last few weeks.

Poulter is my new Roarke Smith 2021.

That guy who just does his job imperfectly but close enough to perfect who knows how to have an impact or has skills enough to make a difference at the right time.

Go_Dogs
05-08-2024, 09:41 PM
We should never drop King McNeil

bornadog
05-08-2024, 10:25 PM
Does Harmes comes straight back in?

GVGjr
05-08-2024, 11:23 PM

He's missed a bit of footy.
Last played in the seniors in R12 and then R14 for Footscray.
The safe bet would be for a VFL game.

angelopetraglia
06-08-2024, 11:38 AM
Bevo basically saying that if everyone who played against Melbourne gets through the training session on Thursday, we will most likely go unchanged. He also mentioned that the 26 selected (including emergencies) two weeks in a row against Sydney and Melbourne was the first time that had happened in his tenure.

comrade
06-08-2024, 11:40 AM
I don?t mind tinkering around the edges and having different looks at the 22nd/23rd player right up to the last H&A game. You never know what?s around the corner in terms of injury/form.

comrade
06-08-2024, 11:41 AM
I?m now at a point that the ins and outs aren?t that big of a deal. I just want us to kick straight.

Rocket Science
06-08-2024, 11:53 AM

https://i.ibb.co/D51jMXR/IMG-7568.jpg (https://ibb.co/SR6ZmT3)

Only if we can pelt the prick with ice while he sits there in the sub's vest.

Not your garden-variety ice tray type. I'm talking fancy, fist-sized cocktail blocks the size of a rubik's cube.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2024, 07:20 PM
The Western Bulldogs have named a 26-man squad to face the Crows at Adelaide Oval on Sunday afternoon.

Oskar Baker, Ryley Sanders and Joel Freijah have all been included in the squad and sit on an extended bench, with the final 23 to be named tomorrow.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2024, 07:26 PM
No Baker, CD & Coff for me.

I’d go:

Freijah & Sanders in for Coff & CD.

comrade
08-08-2024, 07:29 PM
Macrae very stiff to not even crack the squad! Hope he's keeping his chin up and the group is getting around him.

bornadog
08-08-2024, 07:30 PM
Macrae not in squad. Are his days numbered

Grantysghost
08-08-2024, 07:43 PM
Break glass only.

Danjul
08-08-2024, 08:25 PM
Against Carlton Macrae was second for disposals behind Dale and dropped the following? Week.

Against Collingwood a couple of weeks earlier he was the only player who gave the supporters some hope in the first quarter with his 2 goals.

But 20 quality disposals from the half forward flank doesn?t seem to mean much these days.

merantau
08-08-2024, 08:34 PM
I was really surprised Macrae was left out after the Carlton game.

azabob
08-08-2024, 08:36 PM
Against Carlton Macrae was second for disposals behind Dale and dropped the following? Week.

Against Collingwood a couple of weeks earlier he was the only player who gave the supporters some hope in the first quarter with his 2 goals.

But 20 quality disposals from the half forward flank doesn?t seem to mean much these days.

Who would you replace Macrae with?

Grantysghost
08-08-2024, 08:42 PM

He's cooked Danjul. One of our greats but the game has passed him by.

You've got to be happy with the current side?

Wait... Is this the Sweet / Schache schtik again.

We can't play them all!

Danjul
08-08-2024, 11:09 PM
He's cooked Danjul. One of our greats but the game has passed him by.

You've got to be happy with the current side?

Wait... Is this the Sweet / Schache schtik again.

We can't play them all!

I am happy with the way the team is playing and not surprised that they are being successful with the new game style.

BUT I don?t see it as being due to older players being replaced by new stars.

On the weekend the team destroyed Melbourne and, correct me if I am wrong, it was the same team that got beaten by west coast at this time last year. Bramble replacing Smith just about covers it.

The success is because we have experienced players in roles that suit them for a welcome change. Not a new generation of talent.

I would much rather have Macrae in the team than Vandermeer, McNeil, Poulter (1 good game recently) Sanders, Gallagher, Garcia?

I don?t trust any of them with the ball as much as Macrae. And none of them have displayed a capacity for hurting the opposition. Vandermeer has risen above passenger standard four times in 20 games. Fast, my god he is fast. Always first on the scene after the opposition gets the ball and usually clears it.

There is potential in the group but they are not yet at Macraes standard. And especially so with finals looking likely. The last time I saw Poulter in a finals game his opponent kicked half of his teams goals. Not enough lockdown ability displayed yet.

If we get into the finals our opponents will be the best in the competition. Less impacted by injuries. We need our best against them.

jeemak
08-08-2024, 11:28 PM
Last year against WCE we had Lobb as our leading goal kicker with three, he played CHB this year. We did have Smith playing, as well as Scott, Macrae, Keath, O'Donnell and Baker.

So that's just a bit over a quarter of the team, plus some positional changes. But outside of that, basically the same team.

dog town
09-08-2024, 06:04 AM
I am happy with the way the team is playing and not surprised that they are being successful with the new game style.

On the weekend the team destroyed Melbourne and, correct me if I am wrong, it was the same team that got beaten by west coast at this time last year. Bramble replacing Smith just about covers it.

The success is because we have experienced players in roles that suit them for a welcome change. Not a new generation of talent.

I would much rather have Macrae in the team than Vandermeer, McNeil, Poulter (1 good game recently) Sanders, Gallagher, Garcia?

I don?t trust any of them with the ball as much as Macrae. And none of them have displayed a capacity for hurting the opposition. Vandermeer has risen above passenger standard four times in 20 games. Fast, my god he is fast. Always first on the scene after the opposition gets the ball and usually clears it.

There is potential in the group but they are not yet at Macraes standard. And especially so with finals looking likely. The last time I saw Poulter in a finals game his opponent kicked half of his teams goals. Not enough lockdown ability displayed yet.

If we get into the finals our opponents will be the best in the competition. Less impacted by injuries. We need our best against them.

Macrae was my favourite player for a long time but you have this back to front. The reason we are playing strong football is that we are focused on the right player for the role. We are not trying to plug slow midfielders into positions that require defensive positioning and speed.

Most of the guys you mentioned are playing very specific roles that Macrae couldn?t fill within our current set up. Sanders is one that he is directly competing with and probably Garcia but Garcia has assets we need and can play multiple roles. Going to be touch and go with Jack for the role Garcia is playing I think.

Happy Days
09-08-2024, 09:49 AM
The coaches deserve a ton of credit for making the hard call on Macrae. It wasn’t for a lack of trying that he isn’t in the team either.

comrade
09-08-2024, 10:09 AM
We?ve made some errors in selection over the last few seasons. Sending Macrae (and Daniel) to Footscray isn?t one of them. This year has been much better for integrity and team balance.

comrade
09-08-2024, 11:20 AM
The difference between Macrae and say VDM on a forward flank isn?t what they do with the ball, it?s what happens when we lose it. VDM is a demon when it comes to chasing and closing down outlets for defenders, which helps our guys down the line set up for the high ball. JM just doesn?t have the wheels to influence defensively inside 50 (and on transition through the middle) as much, which I?m assuming is why he?s on the fringe.

I like him as the sub, personally. Can play multiple roles and his hardness/experience could be valuable late in a game.

Critter
09-08-2024, 11:59 AM
The difference between Macrae and say VDM on a forward flank isn?t what they do with the ball, it?s what happens when we lose it. VDM is a demon when it comes to chasing and closing down outlets for defenders, which helps our guys down the line set up for the high ball. JM just doesn?t have the wheels to influence defensively inside 50 (and on transition through the middle) as much, which I?m assuming is why he?s on the fringe.

I like him as the sub, personally. Can play multiple roles and his hardness/experience could be valuable late in a game.

Fair call. VDM does have lots of experience in chasing down defenders after he loses one on one contests. Probably more so than anyone else.

Jeanette54
09-08-2024, 02:18 PM
The coaches deserve a ton of credit for making the hard call on Macrae. It wasn’t for a lack of trying that he isn’t in the team either.

You might judge it a hard call, I believe it's the wrong call.

Bring back Jack !!!!

whythelongface
09-08-2024, 02:55 PM

Every team needs role players. They don?t have to be the best player but they have a job to do. Unfortunately not every player can play across the park, therefore you have to select players for specific positions/ roles. If you are limited in this aspect then unfortunately it is difficult to pick someone if there are others better than what they do. Which is true in Macrae?s situation- I would assume Treloar plays this role with speed and dynamism.

You can?t compare any of the players, you mentioned, with Macrae, with the exception of Sanders. Poulter is playing his role on the wing VDM and McNeill are playing their roles as high pressure forwards helping force turnovers, Garcia brings speed. Both Sanders and Gags aren?t in the firsts so that point is moot (maybe Sanders gets a gig this week). I can?t see Macrae playing any of these roles. No doubt he is still a good player but he ain?t in front of any of the current midfielders- he currently is a good back up and may play an important role moving forward (if there are injuries) but can?t agree that we would be better with Macrae in the team.

comrade
09-08-2024, 03:31 PM
Fair call. VDM does have lots of experience in chasing down defenders after he loses one on one contests. Probably more so than anyone else.

Is there anything to prove that or just based on the eye test?

mjp
09-08-2024, 04:22 PM
There's some weird commentary going on right now.

It does seem clear (to me anyway) that the group of West-Weightman-VDM-McNeil (and more recently Garcia) have had a pretty big impact on our recent form/fortunes.

But the VDM-McNeil duo would have to be the ones who have their game-day performance most scrutinised/criticised.

Here's the reality:
- IF you think we are playing well at the moment due to the willingness of our flankers/smalls in the forward half to seal off the ground/apply pressure, then 'they' (West et al) are critical pieces of the puzzle and need to be retained...basically, we are able to do what we are doing BECAUSE of those players and the roles they are playing.

- IF you think we are playing well at the moment due to "OTHER FACTORS" - the brilliance of Bont and Treloar, the way that Jones/Lobb/Khamis are defending and intercepting - then 'they' are not critical to our success and can be left out of the team due to their low number of 'tangible' stats (kicks/marks/handballs/tackles etc).

Right now the match committee are heavily on board with scenario #1 - they think the flankers are the key and hence continue to retain them based on running patterns and effort levels...Macrae and Daniel cannot play those roles...BUT - if something was to change then I'm sure they would again be considered for selection. Sanders is in the same boat right now as an aside.

Critter
09-08-2024, 05:25 PM
Is there anything to prove that or just based on the eye test?

No data. Just my observation, drawn from attending every match, that he rarely seems to win one on one contests. Just runs. Tackles poorly as well.

Empirical evidence of his value can be determined from player stats on the AFL website. Consistently ranks in the bottom decile.

Be interesting to see how much more value could be had from selecting a fast runner who can kick, mark & tackle.

bornadog
09-08-2024, 06:01 PM
Teams in - NO CHANGE

Bulldog Joe
09-08-2024, 06:23 PM
Teams in - NO CHANGE

That is difficult to understand.

Hard to contemplate giving Caleb a full game ahead of the 22 from last week, but impossible to contemplate making him sub again.

Pleather Sole
09-08-2024, 07:59 PM

Hard to contemplate giving Caleb a full game ahead of the 22 from last week, but impossible to contemplate making him sub again.

Yes but he struggles to get in to the game as sub. I reckon with his wise head and accurate boot he's a good choice rotating off the bench from HB to HF, thats a role he can nail regardless of pace. McNeil often plays his most impactful games as sub. Who knows how it goes

Happy Days
09-08-2024, 08:26 PM
Yes but he struggles to get in to the game as sub. I reckon with his wise head and accurate boot he's a good choice rotating off the bench from HB to HF, thats a role he can nail regardless of pace. McNeil often plays his most impactful games as sub. Who knows how it goes

I don’t know if I agree with this. For one, he’s come on as sub midway through the 4th quarter in dead games the last two weeks, there isn’t a player in the world that could make a real impact in those circumstances. He was also really good in a game as sub earlier this year (want to say Hawks game) where he got some CBAs and was given something to do.

I think he’s our best sub personally.

bornadog
09-08-2024, 11:34 PM

Sub hasn't been named

Bulldog Joe
10-08-2024, 08:21 AM
Sub hasn't been named

Fully aware the sub hasn't been named.
My post was about not understanding how Caleb could be retained when he probably needs a full game but hasn't actually earned one over last week's 22 starters

bornadog
10-08-2024, 11:24 AM
Fully aware the sub hasn't been named.
My post was about not understanding how Caleb could be retained when he probably needs a full game but hasn't actually earned one over last week's 22 starters

He might play this week and another sub is chosen? Maybe McNeil

Bulldog Joe
10-08-2024, 11:26 AM
He might play this week and another sub is chosen? Maybe McNeil

You are missing my point.

Caleb needs a full game. McNeill et al deserve their place in the 22.

bornadog
10-08-2024, 11:28 AM
You are missing my point.

Caleb needs a full game. McNeill et al deserve their place in the 22.

Not missing your point at all BJ. What I am saying is maybe he has retained his spot in the 23 because he will play a full game. If he ends up sub again - yeah that is ridiculous.

hujsh
10-08-2024, 12:00 PM
Not missing your point at all BJ. What I am saying is maybe he has retained his spot in the 23 because he will play a full game. If he ends up sub again - yeah that is ridiculous.

BJ's point is everyone in the 22 last week deserves their spot/has a role they're playing that wouldn't suit Daniel.

Is Daniel going to bring McNeils or Vanders pressure in the small forward role? Can he provide the long kicking, relative pace and ability to hold his width like Poulter does on the wing?

Personally the only real change I can kind of see is Coffield out since he's kind of an awkward fit with the 2 key defenders and Khamis down back but Coffield would also be a very strange sub choice.

ledge
10-08-2024, 12:41 PM
BJ's point is everyone in the 22 last week deserves their spot/has a role they're playing that wouldn't suit Daniel.

Is Daniel going to bring McNeils or Vanders pressure in the small forward role? Can he provide the long kicking, relative pace and ability to hold his width like Poulter does on the wing?

Personally the only real change I can kind of see is Coffield out since he's kind of an awkward fit with the 2 key defenders and Khamis down back but Coffield would also be a very strange sub choice.

I think it depends on your opponent .
If Daniel has played against Adelaide and Bevo knows he has a certain player beaten every game and that player is playing you play Daniel on him.
We must not forget each game also has a horses for courses rule.

lemmon
10-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Adelaide has gone fairly tall, so I don't think it's the worst week to have retained Coffield.

My initial thoughts would be:
Lobb > Thilthorpe
Jones > Tex
Coffield > Fogarty

Buku as the floating tall, maybe matched up on Curtin if he plays forward (which I'm doubtful of).

I think they send Keays to Dale and try to do a job on him.

They do have a talented forward half. Rankine is electric and Rachele can do damage. Reckon it'll be Duryea and Bramble who primarily look after those two, though I think Rankine will spend a fair bit of time through the midfield.

It'll be won and lost in the middle. Bont, Libba and Treloar need to get first hands-on because I think O'Brien probably dominates the hit-out contest.

Do we look at stoping one of their half backs? I think Mitch Hinge is a terrific player so would think about West starting on him and making his life tough.

Critter
10-08-2024, 08:28 PM
Geelong beating Freo is not good for the Doggies. Sets Cats up to finish top 4, as their win has put them in the 4. They play Eagles and Saints in the final 2 rounds. Win both and we can?t displace them.

Port Adelaide will also finish top 4 if they win their remaining 3 games, which is likely. They play Melbourne, Adelaide & Freo. You'd reckon they win all 3.

Looks likely that we finish seventh. Unless Freo beat PA in last round. A chance, but unlikely you?d think.

Hard to win from outside the top 4 but we have form for doing just this. Woof.

jeemak
10-08-2024, 10:21 PM
Macrae was my favourite player for a long time but you have this back to front. The reason we are playing strong football is that we are focused on the right player for the role. We are not trying to plug slow midfielders into positions that require defensive positioning and speed.

Most of the guys you mentioned are playing very specific roles that Macrae couldn?t fill within our current set up. Sanders is one that he is directly competing with and probably Garcia but Garcia has assets we need and can play multiple roles. Going to be touch and go with Jack for the role Garcia is playing I think.

There's been a few instances this year where Libba has wildly let go of the ball with a handball in a contest and it's run the other way and sometimes for a goal. Outside of his health it's little things like this and his lack of production around the ground that makes me think time is closing in on him.

So it's an unpopular opinion but I'd be winding down Libba after this year and putting Jacko into the main inside contested ball role for the next couple of years until Sanders can develop into it.

It won't happen, but I think it's better than seeing Libba limp to the line and Jacko being wedged into a role that doesn't suit him.