PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 23 VS North Melbourne

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty-Two match against Adelaide for our Round Twenty-Three match against North Melbourne at Marvel on Sunday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
11-08-2024, 06:58 PM
Bump

Bullies
11-08-2024, 07:19 PM
Out : Coffield, Buku, VDM, Garcia

In: Frejah, Sanders, Macrae, JOD

1eyedog
11-08-2024, 07:24 PM

Looks good to me

G-Mo77
11-08-2024, 07:25 PM
I'm surprised Coffield has stayed in over Freijah. He's been quite poor since his return.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2024, 07:25 PM

Sold.

josie
11-08-2024, 08:19 PM
I love Libba, but does anyone think he might be dropped or rather managed/rested? I think it’s possibly line ball whether we should drop Libba before Garcia. His effort was there but to my eye Libba looked slower and more fatigued than normal today.

azabob
11-08-2024, 08:30 PM
Liberatore was subbed last week with an ankle injury, no surprise he was extra slow.

Grantysghost
11-08-2024, 08:32 PM
Liberatore was subbed last week with an ankle injury, no surprise he was extra slow.
Why do we play injured players? Bont was too.

Bullies
11-08-2024, 08:37 PM
I love Libba, but does anyone think he might be dropped or rather managed/rested? I think it’s possibly line ball whether we should drop Libba before Garcia. His effort was there but to my eye Libba looked slower and more fatigued than normal today. Libba can't play for whatever reason on that ground again. He continues to get cut up there. Father time catches up quick and as Hawks/GWS/Swans prove that in today's game you must have pace on the ball. I worry about Ballarat being such a big and wide ground what GWS could do. Still not sold on Garcia though.

azabob
11-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Why do we play injured players? Bont was too.

And Naughton I reckon.

Warrnambulldog
11-08-2024, 09:22 PM
I?m in agreement

Freijah, Sanders and Macrae are no brainers, they were stiff to be dropped originally

Enoughs enough with Vandermeer, it?s one thing being a flog but he cant be a fumbly unskilled one, I don?t care how much he runs around like a headless chook. Baker could do this better

Coffield, Khamis, Garcia havent done enough

josie
11-08-2024, 10:19 PM
I?m in agreement

Freijah, Sanders and Macrae are no brainers, they were stiff to be dropped originally

Enoughs enough with Vandermeer, it?s one thing being a flog but he cant be a fumbly unskilled one, I don?t care how much he runs around like a headless chook. Baker could do this better

Agree with this. I’d be inclined to give Garcia another go though.

Hotdog60
11-08-2024, 11:15 PM
Going by the presser we might see a few changes for the next game.

Scorlibo
11-08-2024, 11:35 PM
I don't want to see an overreaction in the aftermath of this game. The poorest performers were mostly either 'undroppable' players or role players with no pressure for their position coming from Footscray.

Coffield out is a no-brainer. Not sure why he wasn't moved onto Fogarty but if we don't trust him as key defensive backup then I really don't know what he's there to do. He sure as hell isn't any kind of creative with ball in hand.

The guys in line to come in are midfield rotation players, so who are we dropping or shifting to make way for them? Garcia? Richards? West?

jeemak
11-08-2024, 11:43 PM
I?m in agreement

Not sure why VDM is a flog, but I agree he is fumbly and lacking in skills at times. Unfortunately we don't have anyone who can cover the ground at pace like he can, and I think a lot of the time when he misses tackles it's after a long run to put pressure on that doesn't really show up on TV.

Garcia led our tackles tonight with nine, which is great and all, but he needs to be a bit more productive and also get a few more scoring opportunities. I'd keep him in the team, even though I'm not as enamoured with him as some.

Daniel did enough for mine to get an opportunity to see if he can play a role and be productive in it in terms of finding the ball and using it. 15 touches in a quarter and a half is all you can ask for from a sub, so he's earned a full game for mine.

All that said, I want to see how we can reward both Jacko and Sanders for good VFL form the past two weeks and fear one will be the sub, and one will miss out. An injury omission is their likely chance for inclusion unless we decide to omit a Coffield or Khamis and shuffle things around.

Khamis is the one who I don't think has a genuine role in the back six if Lobb and Jones are firing.

lemmon
12-08-2024, 07:43 AM
Not sure why VDM is a flog, but I agree he is fumbly and lacking in skills at times.

I don't agree with calling VDM a flog either, but he doesn't help himself with some of the way he lambasts team mates. I can't remember who it was, but he baked someone early for not dropping the ball on a pin when he was going back deep inside forward 50 against two Crows. It was a bloody hard kick to make and he probably wasn't marking it anyway - there was just no need to give a verbal bake to the kicker.

I think it might be glossed over if he was a Bailey Dale with the ball, but he's regularly putting it to the wrong side of leading forwards as well.

McNeil moved ahead of VDM yesterday for me and I thought Laith was really lucky not to be subbed out. There was a few minutes in the third when he missed a tackle on half-back and gave up a shot at goal, then fumbled an easy one in our goal square. Not good enough.

GVGjr
12-08-2024, 07:44 AM
In Freijah, O'Donnell and Macrae
Out Khamis, Coffield and Vandermeer

Bumper Bulldogs
12-08-2024, 07:56 AM
I don't agree with calling VDM a flog either, but he doesn't help himself with some of the way he lambasts team mates. I can't remember who it was, but he baked someone early for not dropping the ball on a pin when he was going back deep inside forward 50 against two Crows. It was a bloody hard kick to make and he probably wasn't marking it anyway - there was just no need to give a verbal bake to the kicker.

I think it might be glossed over if he was a Bailey Dale with the ball, but he's regularly putting it to the wrong side of leading forwards as well.

McNeil moved ahead of VDM yesterday for me and I thought Laith was really lucky not to be subbed out. There was a few minutes in the third when he missed a tackle on half-back and gave up a shot at goal, then fumbled an easy one in our goal square. Not good enough.
It was ok led by Weightman. Van gave him a bake.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-08-2024, 08:01 AM

It was ok led by Weightman. Van gave him a bake. It was as a 45m kick off one step and your running back away from ok the ball. A good for add would have lead to the ball dragging how opponent away from ok the goal face. I see VDM as having small man syndrome. I?m sick of him giving fr the kicks away and the. Mouthing off and bumping the recipient. It?s just dumb and news flash that?s not tough footy.

He was as versatile coy not to give50 away having a shot on goal after they got a free half back also.

Mofra
12-08-2024, 09:42 AM
JOD for Khamis. If we're going to get beaten at least JOD can kick.

azabob
12-08-2024, 10:11 AM
Gallagher for VDM
Freijah for Coffield
JOD for Khamis
Daniel for Garcia (Gacia sub)

Four changes are too many but I am not sold on either Coffield or Khamis. I would prefer not to see them at senior level again in 2024.
JOD to take the third banana and Freijah to help provide run off our half back line which we truly lacked yesterday.

Clearly the match committee likes VDM repeated defensive efforts but when he gets the football, he makes very poor decisions. I would bring in Gallagher and have him play VDM role - hopefully is decision making is a bit better than VDM.

I would love to bring Macrae in for his toughness at the contest, but that would mean dropping Liberatore. If Libba isn't 100% with his ankle I would make that change.

Daniel deserves a full game so he comes into the 22 and Garcia as the sub. I would not be too upset if Sanders came in for Garcia especially now Sanders is starting to hit the scoreboard at VFL level - something he has not been able to do at AFL level yet.

If Naughton needs a week off, give it to him FFS.

As an aside I found interesting Garnder played forward on the weekend in the VFL. Not sure what that means if anything, but interesting none the less.

GVGjr
12-08-2024, 10:12 AM
Should Weightman be under consideration for being dropped? He's been poor/average for an extended time although he has played well against North in the past.

Happy Days
12-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Should Weightman be under consideration for being dropped? He's been poor/average for an extended time although he has played well against North in the past.

I think he still has enough credits but he was horrible yesterday. I wouldn’t be losing sleep if we did it.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-08-2024, 11:12 AM

It's a good call.

He has gone back to some bad habits with continually going to ground and missed tackles. I thought we should have pushed him up the ground yesterday given how out of touch he was.

His conversion is a concern.

I wouldn't drop him but I'd be giving him a reminder that we need a lot more from him.

Bullies
12-08-2024, 11:42 AM
It's a good call.

He has gone back to some bad habits with continually going to ground and missed tackles. I thought we should have pushed him up the ground yesterday given how out of touch he was.

His conversion is a concern.

I wouldn't drop him but I'd be giving him a reminder that we need a lot more from him. Cody can't play with a hard tag which is what he got yesterday. His opponent had no intention of getting the ball but just stopping Cody. He needs to learn how to play with a tag.

We also have no smalls able to convert or look like converting which is a worry. What we would give for a Ginnivan/Watson type.

comrade
12-08-2024, 11:54 AM
Buku can?t play next week, that is all I?m sure of right now.

Happy Days
12-08-2024, 11:57 AM
Buku can?t play next week, that is all I?m sure of right now.

Cannot believe he got me again. This is like the 6th time I’ve talked myself into him being AFL standard.

bornadog
12-08-2024, 11:58 AM
OUT: Buku, Garcia, Coffield

IN: JOD, Sanders, Macrae

comrade
12-08-2024, 11:59 AM
Cannot believe he got me again. This is like the 6th time I’ve talked myself into him being AFL standard.

Yeah, enough is enough.

Grantysghost
12-08-2024, 12:00 PM
He was on a hiding to nothing against the wall of man meat that is Fogarty.

comrade
12-08-2024, 12:03 PM

Pretty easy for the forward when your oppo is facing the wrong way in every contest. Did the same against Fritsch last week.

Happy Days
12-08-2024, 12:05 PM

Maybe but why did he keep trying to defend him from 10m in front and feeding back to spoil as if that’s ever worked consistently one time in the 150 year history of football? Is Bailey Fritsch also a meat wall? What if letting someone get 11 shots at goal is actually not good?

We all want it to work so bad because Buku seems like a legend and it would also be very convenient for our current purposes but he just keeps getting lost and keeps getting belted one on one.

Grantysghost
12-08-2024, 12:27 PM
Maybe but why did he keep trying to defend him from 10m in front and feeding back to spoil as if that’s ever worked consistently one time in the 150 year history of football? Is Bailey Fritsch also a meat wall? What if letting someone get 11 shots at goal is actually not good?

We all want it to work so bad because Buku seems like a legend and it would also be very convenient for our current purposes but he just keeps getting lost and keeps getting belted one on one.
Bevo coaches the defenders to defend from in front.

I'm not sold on Buku HD, JOD either.

Mofra
12-08-2024, 12:34 PM
Coffield seems to have a knack of getting back to cover the last line when Jones/Lobb/Khamis are dragged high

I can't see both Coff & Khamis getting dropped without significant cover, meaning we'd bring in JOD and Freijah as replacements.

lemmon
12-08-2024, 12:37 PM
What's Coffield's role in our back 6? He's too small for the big blokes, too big for the small blokes, hasn't been intercepting and his kicking has been objectively poor. Not sure why he's demanded automatic selection

Sedat
12-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Provided he pulled up well on the weekend, I would give strong consideration for Harmes to replace Poulter. We need another defensive-minded, team-oriented mid sized player in the team - not a knock on Poulter but we are at the business end and need to have optimum balance in the team to cover all contingencies in-game. Poulter is just a little too one-dimensional, and his one-wood is not top-shelf elite.

Harmes was very important in our resurgence from 3-5 to the bye before he got injured. I'm well aware that this bandwagon is not bursting at the seams with people.

1eyedog
12-08-2024, 12:51 PM
Not sure why VDM is a flog, but I agree he is fumbly and lacking in skills at times. Unfortunately we don't have anyone who can cover the ground at pace like he can, and I think a lot of the time when he misses tackles it's after a long run to put pressure on that doesn't really show up on TV.

Garcia led our tackles tonight with nine, which is great and all, but he needs to be a bit more productive and also get a few more scoring opportunities. I'd keep him in the team, even though I'm not as enamoured with him as some.

Daniel did enough for mine to get an opportunity to see if he can play a role and be productive in it in terms of finding the ball and using it. 15 touches in a quarter and a half is all you can ask for from a sub, so he's earned a full game for mine.

All that said, I want to see how we can reward both Jacko and Sanders for good VFL form the past two weeks and fear one will be the sub, and one will miss out. An injury omission is their likely chance for inclusion unless we decide to omit a Coffield or Khamis and shuffle things around.

Khamis is the one who I don't think has a genuine role in the back six if Lobb and Jones are firing.

If you barracked for another team VDM would be a flog.

hujsh
12-08-2024, 01:06 PM
Provided he pulled up well on the weekend, I would give strong consideration for Harmes to replace Poulter. We need another defensive-minded, team-oriented mid sized player in the team - not a knock on Poulter but we are at the business end and need to have optimum balance in the team to cover all contingencies in-game. Poulter is just a little too one-dimensional, and his one-wood is not top-shelf elite.

Harmes was very important in our resurgence from 3-5 to the bye before he got injured. I'm well aware that this bandwagon is not bursting at the seams with people.

I'm open to the bandwagon.

After all how do we drop Harmes unless he's picked first?

bornadog
12-08-2024, 01:13 PM

I would be happy to bring in Harmes, but would also like to keep Poulter. I think Poulter has been very good on the wing. He has height, he is a good kick and has some speed as well.

So who else can be dropped for Harmes? VDM? I know they are different players, but

Bullies
12-08-2024, 01:19 PM
Pretty easy for the forward when your oppo is facing the wrong way in every contest. Did the same against Fritsch last week. You will find that sides are playing through whoever Buku is playing on. They know he has no touch or awareness on opponents.

lemmon
12-08-2024, 01:33 PM
I would be happy to bring in Harmes, but would also like to keep Poulter. I think Poulter has been very good on the wing. He has height, he is a good kick and has some speed as well.

So who else can be dropped for Harmes? VDM? I know they are different players, but

I like what Poulter has brought to the table as well with his ball use and height, and feel like we're already playing plenty of those 'crack-in' midsizers.

I think Harmes can do a lot of what VDM, Garcia, McNeil and West do, but he's just....a better player than those guys. I thought he hit a really nice vein of form before injury.

I'd look at:

Out - Buku, Coffield, VDM, (Garcia to sub)
In - Gallagher, Freijah, Harmes, (Caleb starting 22)

I've brought Gallagher back to play on a wing, with Bailey Williams rolling back as the third tall defender. I think Williams has consistently played his best footy down back and I'm not sure JOD has earned the spot.

Tough on Macrae and Sanders, but I thought Caleb was terrific when he came on and they're all battling for inside mid places.

Happy Days
12-08-2024, 01:36 PM
If any of you try to quote this post or bring it up later I’ll deny I ever said it but Harmes is the best suited player we have to that hybrid forward mid role that we’ve tried to shoehorn Macrae, Garcia and Daniel into, and he should come in next week for Garcia.

meenies
12-08-2024, 01:48 PM
Friejah for Buku, Harmes for VDM, Macrae for Libba ( managed)

lemmon
12-08-2024, 01:55 PM
If any of you try to quote this post or bring it up later I’ll deny I ever said it but Harmes is the best suited player we have to that hybrid forward mid role that we’ve tried to shoehorn Macrae, Garcia and Daniel into, and he should come in next week for Garcia.

I think we're also playing too many of those 'hybrid' smalls and could fit another midfielder in. McNeil, Laith, Garcia and West all spent a fair bit of time on-ball yesterday - I'd rather we played a genuine midfielder there instead.

Against Freo, we played only three of those smaller forward types (Laith, West, Weightman) in a side that also had Gallagher, Scott, Macrae and Sanders and Caleb sub. Yesterday we played all of Laith, West, McNeil, Weightman and Garcia. There probably is enough midfield time to play an outside runner in Gallagher, or rotate a Caleb/Macrae/Sanders through the inside mid/high half forward slot, and leave one of those guys out.

azabob
12-08-2024, 01:56 PM
I like what Poulter has brought to the table as well with his ball use and height, and feel like we're already playing plenty of those 'crack-in' midsizers.

I think Harmes can do a lot of what VDM, Garcia, McNeil and West do, but he's just....a better player than those guys. I thought he hit a really nice vein of form before injury.

I'd look at:

Out - Buku, Coffield, VDM, (Garcia to sub)
In - Gallagher, Freijah, Harmes, (Caleb starting 22)

I've brought Gallagher back to play on a wing, with Bailey Williams rolling back as the third tall defender. I think Williams has consistently played his best footy down back and I'm not sure JOD has earned the spot.

Tough on Macrae and Sanders, but I thought Caleb was terrific when he came on and they're all battling for inside mid places.

Our thoughts are very similar with the INs and OUTs.

I would be ok with Gallagher to a wing and Williams as the third tall. It does mean we go a lot small down back come finals time though.

Ozza
12-08-2024, 01:58 PM
At some point enough is enough with VDM. Yes he can run, but are we any better off for it. He got more footy than usual yesterday, and we were no better off because of it as he does not have the class to finish or to get it to a team mate in a better position in a clean enough way.

The forward line's lack of finishing class yesterday gave us no chance to win. Weightman over the journey has had this but has been a bit off the last 3 weeks. McNeil a tryer who usually can't finish, Darcy and Jamarra are extremely unreliable and West and Naughton were up the ground and barely involved.

Grantysghost
12-08-2024, 02:17 PM
I would bring Harmes in for Poulter and possibly JOD/Keath/Gardy in for Buku.

If Naughton is injured Buku goes forward.
If English is injured um.... Lobb ruck, a defender in.

Oh oh and Coffield out (im not seeing it and I wanted to) and Freijah in.

Sedat
12-08-2024, 02:27 PM
I don't mind Poulter as a player either, but he is exactly the type who will impact less in finals than more, where space and time are significantly impacted (and he needs both to thrive).

Harmes has versatility and can run up and down the arcs as well - he just knows where to go and what to do in most given situations. I'm reluctant to forgo any of VDM, McNeil, Garcia, West and Weightman - we need more speed and more ability to cover the ground and pressure the oppo, not less. Some of these guys can take a turn in midfield as well, to keep our core mids fresh for the last bit of the season.

Buku and Coffield for Freijah and JOD is a bit of a no-brainer for mine - JOD offers a little more reliability/size as 3rd tall and Freijah runs and carries and generally uses it productively as well.

Interesting selection week.

Critter
12-08-2024, 02:29 PM
In Freijah, O'Donnell and Macrae
Out Khamis, Coffield and Vandermeer

Spot on. Exactly the changes that should happen.

Beveridge made the point that there was "red hot pressure" yesterday. Well, we failed the test that pressure brought. Should we make the finals, the "red hot pressure" will become white hot. Khamis and VDM have consistently shown themselves to be unable to handle pressure. Their kicking, handball and tackling skills, which are sub-standard to begin with, fall apart under pressure.

Coffield is a "10 overs, none for 50", mid-sized defender who is too slow to match small forwards and too short to take a third tall. A recruiting boo-boo.

bornadog
12-08-2024, 03:38 PM
Tim in a moon boot means to me something serious.

If Tim is out do we switch Lobb to ruck and bring in Buss to debut v North?

No way Darcy can ruck the whole game, especially against the inform ruck Xerri.

Pleather Sole
12-08-2024, 04:56 PM
Tim in a moon boot means to me something serious.

If Tim is out do we switch Lobb to ruck and bring in Buss to debut v North?

No way Darcy can ruck the whole game, especially against the inform ruck Xerri.

Yes! The Buss was supposedly going to debut against North in Round 16, his form is good so why not now.

DOG GOD
12-08-2024, 05:39 PM
I don't mind Poulter as a player either, but he is exactly the type who will impact less in finals than more, where space and time are significantly impacted (and he needs both to thrive).

Harmes has versatility and can run up and down the arcs as well - he just knows where to go and what to do in most given situations. I'm reluctant to forgo any of VDM, McNeil, Garcia, West and Weightman - we need more speed and more ability to cover the ground and pressure the oppo, not less. Some of these guys can take a turn in midfield as well, to keep our core mids fresh for the last bit of the season.

Buku and Coffield for Freijah and JOD is a bit of a no-brainer for mine - JOD offers a little more reliability/size as 3rd tall and Freijah runs and carries and generally uses it productively as well.

Interesting selection week.

Agree. If we are serious about the next 2 weeks, and then hopefully doing well in a final, we not only need Harmes’s versatility, his experience will also be required. How Coff, who has little run and questionable disposal gets a game over Freijah is beyond me. I thought Freijah offered great run, backed himself, was good one on one, good disposal, and was a great link up player. Coff is none of that.

GVGjr
12-08-2024, 11:57 PM
If Tim misses this week then our lack of ruck depth is really exposed.

Lobb would have to move from the back line and we would have to consider JOD, Keath, Gardner and maybe Busslinger as replacements. If we drop Khamis and/or Coffield then Freijah would be in the mix.

We might make as many as 4 changes.

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 12:11 AM

Lobb would have to move from the back line and we would have to consider JOD, Keath, Gardner and maybe Busslinger as replacements. If we drop Khamis and/or Coffield then Freijah would be in the mix.

Any chance our young ruck gets a gig?

I assume no, I haven't seen him much just guessing from woof, however.... It's Bevo.
Xerri needs a solid body against. Going to be interesting.

azabob
13-08-2024, 08:38 AM

I would not disrupt Lobb.

I would ruck Gardner and Darcy 50/50.

azabob
13-08-2024, 08:39 AM
I also did not buy what he said about Naughton. I do not think he will play either.

Mitcha
13-08-2024, 10:08 AM
Cody can't play with a hard tag which is what he got yesterday. His opponent had no intention of getting the ball but just stopping Cody. He needs to learn how to play with a tag.

We also have no smalls able to convert or look like converting which is a worry. What we would give for a Ginnivan/Watson type.
Not sure I agree with your second point. From where I sit our combination of Weightman and West have scored more goals that Ginnivan and Watson and both have the ability to push higher up the ground when needed and aren't as one dimensional as the Hawks pair. Luke Breust would have been the type of comparison closer to the mark.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 10:14 AM

We are going to need Lobb rucking and I would bring in Buss for his debut

1eyedog
13-08-2024, 10:32 AM
Is Keath match fit? Can we just ruck Keath for three quarters then hopefully be in a position to sub him at 3QT and put Darcy in there for the last. It's Keath's last year on the list hopefully so doesn't matter if he gets a bit banged up. No one will go with Xerri anyway.

I would like Freijah to replace Coffield outside of that I do think we need Sanders and Macrae in the team but I don't really care. Can we have six changes? ;) Agree that Caleb needs to start.

JanLorMill
13-08-2024, 10:33 AM
Tim missing exposes little. Played like he wasn’t there last week.

Happy Days
13-08-2024, 10:34 AM
Keath in the ruck would be funny. It would be like when the keeper gets injured and one of the batters has to take the gloves. If it’s just for one week I’d like to see it.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 10:41 AM

Injured ankle didn't help

comrade
13-08-2024, 10:43 AM
Well this has all got a nice 2023 stink about it, don?t it?!

Pleather Sole
13-08-2024, 10:47 AM

Gardner is not an AFL level ruck, Lobb is, if we lose ruck contests and risk the game (and potentially finals) just for the sake of keeping Lobb at CHB for one game that is a hell of an unnecessary gamble in my eyes. We have other good options for CHB. I'm not a fan of moving the magnets too much or playing guys out of position but Lobb won't be out of position in the ruck nor will the defender who plays as a defender, we have fit defenders, why not play them as defenders?

1eyedog
13-08-2024, 10:49 AM
Keath in the ruck would be funny. It would be like when the keeper gets injured and one of the batters has to take the gloves. If it?s just for one week I?d like to see it.

The ruck role has been funny for 5 years happy to keep the laugh's coming.

ledge
13-08-2024, 10:51 AM

And look what happened !

1eyedog
13-08-2024, 10:51 AM
Gardner is not an AFL level ruck, Lobb is, if we lose ruck contests and risk the game (and potentially finals) just for the sake of keeping Lobb at CHB for one game that is a hell of an unnecessary gamble in my eyes. We have other good options for CHB. I'm not a fan of moving the magnets too much or playing guys out of position but Lobb won't be out of position in the ruck nor will the defender who plays as a defender, we have fit defenders, why not play them as defenders?

The way Lobb is man, we play him ruck for two weeks and he loses his mojo and completely forgets he's a competent CHB.

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 11:07 AM
I'd be reluctant to move Lobb too.

Xerri is going to destroy whoever we chuck in there. If Gardy can just crash into him all day and take one for the team I'd be ok with that.

There's not much else in the cupboard. Not sure why we went with a super young ruck to replace Sweet if we don't have any cover for English now. Teakle was just sitting there in the WAFL.

Sedat
13-08-2024, 11:10 AM
There's not much else in the cupboard. Not sure why we went with a super young ruck to replace Sweet if we don't have any cover for English now. Teakle was just sitting there in the WAFL.
Sweet will break the internet if he ends up being the premiership ruckman in 2024. He's been more than serviceable in the last month or so - he's kept Soldo out of the team and is halving/winning his position.

Rocket Science
13-08-2024, 11:10 AM
If he wasn't carrying a mystery knee complaint I'd be half tempted to toss Naughton into the ruck, Wallsy-style.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 11:16 AM
There's not much else in the cupboard. .

To be fair, no one would have foreseen Lobb playing CHB. Tim, Lobb, Darcy, Smith - we thought we were covered.

Axe Man
13-08-2024, 11:17 AM
I'd be reluctant to move Lobb too.

Xerri is going to destroy whoever we chuck in there. If Gardy can just crash into him all day and take one for the team I'd be ok with that.

To be fair absolutely nobody saw Lobb's backline reinvention coming. If he was still stuck in the VFL we wouldn't be having this conversation, he would be straight in to ruck with Darcy. Sweet/Teakle or whatever mature ruck we could have had on the list still wouldn't have gotten a game.

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 11:18 AM
To be fair absolutely nobody saw Lobb's backline reinvention coming. If he was still stuck in the VFL we wouldn't be having this conversation, he would be straight in to ruck with Darcy. Sweet/Teakle or whatever mature ruck we could have had on the list still wouldn't have gotten a game.

Lobb was always a forward/r2 though, I mean an actual ruck like Sweet.

Your point is fair granted.

I have a feeling Bevo isn't much for ruckman and is still dirty about the third man up rule!!

Bulldog Joe
13-08-2024, 11:36 AM
We are going to need Lobb rucking and I would bring in Buss for his debut

I am in the camp that Lobb needs to stay back this week.

Buku can probably take ruck duties with Darcy. He also gives a different look as a leaper and could go with Xerri around the ground.

Preserve the others where they have done well. Would bring Busslinger/JOD in for Buku's backline role.

Pleather Sole
13-08-2024, 11:59 AM
The way Lobb is man, we play him ruck for two weeks and he loses his mojo and completely forgets he's a competent CHB.

Seriously? The renaissance man forgets he play Ruck, CHB, FWD after a game maybe two? Lobb is thriving on being needed in AFL games. He's made it known he needs to play AFL not VFL and it doesn't matter what position, he will give his all and he has. He's become the ultimate team man when many of us witnessed him appearing to be on autopilot earlier in the year. Sure an uninterrupted go at CHB would be ideal for his development but he's proved himself to be more talented and truly versatile than any of Bevo's wacko positional punts. He'll click back in to CHB because he's learnt the reward of stretching his skills. His success at CHB is largely from his rucking experience not his fwd experience. Not many players prosper in multiple roles but he does, it suits him and I reckon he deserves more trust than what he's being afforded at the moment.

azabob
13-08-2024, 11:59 AM

We lose the ruck contest with English each week. The value English provides is around the ground in transition.

Garnder will compete and can run all day. A 50/50 split with Darcy can work.

I think there is more to lose by moving Lobb from CHB where he has found his groove and continues to learn and improve week on week.

azabob
13-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Not many players prosper in multiple roles but he does, it suits him and I reckon he deserves more trust than what he's being afforded at the moment.

For mine it isn't about trusting Lobb it is about what is best for the team.

Based on what we know Lobb at CHB is better for the team than Lobb in the ruck.

mjp
13-08-2024, 12:35 PM

Lobb in the ruck makes us weaker at TWO positions.

Let's just make ourselves weaker at ONE position. Worst case? Darcy rucks with help from Naughton/Jamarra. Sometimes there is a local footy element to team selection and if you only have one ruckman and he's hurt, then you just have to make do for a game...

Sedat
13-08-2024, 12:40 PM
Darcy is a competitive bugger, he just doesn't have the core strength yet to hold his own in ruck for a full 120 minutes. A combination of Darcy and "someone else" is perfectly fine for one week, without needing to make our key defensive structure unstable again by moving Lobbovich out CHB.

Xerri is going to win the hitout battle regardless, so our mids need to get to work and structure up accordingly so that North don't get a heavy clearance advantage. Also Xerri is an aerobic beast, so he needs to be given close attention around the ground as well.

Pleather Sole
13-08-2024, 12:40 PM

Is it, how? Gardner, has he even played an AFL game this year? A handful of games in the twos as a spare ruck. He has more spoils to his name in one game than hitouts to advantage. I'd rather see Buss debut as a genuine defender. I understand that you think Lobb is more valuable down back but I disagree respectfully. I guess he'll be very busy down back if we barely win the ball.

Happy Days
13-08-2024, 01:39 PM
We lose the ruck contest with English each week. The value English provides is around the ground in transition.

Garnder will compete and can run all day. A 50/50 split with Darcy can work.

I think there is more to lose by moving Lobb from CHB where he has found his groove and continues to learn and improve week on week.

Okay but there’s losing the ruck in the sense that two guys compete and one guy wins out, and then there’s capital L Losing the ruck where one guy provides all the resistance of a pro wrestling table and the other ruckman is tapping it 20m over his head to guys running at full pace. Tim is at worst the first kind of “loser”.

The Crows played worst player in the AFL candidate Kieran Strachan against Brodie Grundy a few weeks ago, and it got them clipped so bad that one of Sydney’s players kicked 9 goals accidentally.

I’m happy to start Gardner or Keath or whoever in the ruck but we have to be quick to put Lobb in there if it goes south.

azabob
13-08-2024, 01:52 PM
Is it, how? Gardner, has he even played an AFL game this year? A handful of games in the twos as a spare ruck. He has more spoils to his name in one game than hitouts to advantage. I'd rather see Buss debut as a genuine defender. I understand that you think Lobb is more valuable down back but I disagree respectfully. I guess he'll be very busy down back if we barely win the ball.

That is why woof is brilliant PS, we both have differing opinions and that is ok.

I am not looking at Garnder's ruck stats I am looking at how effective we have been with Jones and Lobb back.

I don't expect Gardner and Darcy to win the ruck position against Xerri (honestly, I wasn't expecting Tim to either) but I am expecting our midfielders do turn up and win enough ball to give our forwards enough opportunities to kick a winning score.

lemmon
13-08-2024, 01:54 PM
Lachlan Smith isn't ready, but I'd still just play him. I'd rather change one thing rather than disrupt the system that has worked. Xerri is going to have a big day irrespective of who gets the gig.

Rocco Jones
13-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Going with 'Xerri will dominate anyway' kind of thinking can be very dangerous IMO. Even if Xerri wins clearly, we can reduce his ability to win clear hit outs to advantage, as well as having something who offers us an option down the line marking wise and generally around the ground.

I think there's a baseline competitive version of being well beaten and utter domination that hugely effects the game. I think a big reason why Blues forced TDK back on vs North as Xerri was having a mammoth influence on the game up against novices a couple of weeks ago.

My issue with Gardner is the combination of low value in hit outs and not being a good mark.

I agree with Sedat that Darcy is competitive af but he will need lots of support.

Lobb has a bigger body and a great tank. He will more than match Xerri around the ground and in marking contests.

Not ideal but I would go with Lobb in the ruck and bring in JOD and possibly Keath to replace Buku.

Rocco Jones
13-08-2024, 02:35 PM
In: JOD, Macrae, Freijah, Keath (if English is out),
Out: Buku, Vanders, Coff, English (if injured)

If Naughts is out too, I'll go a bit smaller up forward and perhaps bring in Gags or Harmes.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 03:56 PM
Going with 'Xerri will dominate anyway' kind of thinking can be very dangerous IMO. Even if Xerri wins clearly, we can reduce his ability to win clear hit outs to advantage, as well as having something who offers us an option down the line marking wise and generally around the ground.

I think there's a baseline competitive version of being well beaten and utter domination that hugely effects the game. I think a big reason why Blues forced TDK back on vs North as Xerri was having a mammoth influence on the game up against novices a couple of weeks ago.

My issue with Gardner is the combination of low value in hit outs and not being a good mark.

I agree with Sedat that Darcy is competitive af but he will need lots of support.

Lobb has a bigger body and a great tank. He will more than match Xerri around the ground and in marking contests.

Not ideal but I would go with Lobb in the ruck and bring in JOD and possibly Keath to replace Buku.

Xerri is very good at HTA - 43% of his HO go to advantage - so agree we do need to negate that some how.

My gut feel - Darcy will be doing alot of the ruck work.

PS: In round 16, Xerri only had 3 more HTA than English

The bulldog tragician
13-08-2024, 04:00 PM
For those calling for JOD I don?t recall seeing anything favourable (or indeed negative) on him in the Footscray report. Have I missed something about his impact?

A mere couple of weeks ago Khamis was hailed as having a breakthrough match. Yes, he was dire last week and I?m actually often very critical of his positioning even in wins, but why is JOD always pushed up when in his handful of games he has been no more ?promising?in his handful of games than Buku? I just find it curious and would be interested to know the thinking behind it.

Sedat
13-08-2024, 04:10 PM
If only we still had Dunkley (or Jong)

hujsh
13-08-2024, 04:12 PM
For those calling for JOD I don?t recall seeing anything favourable (or indeed negative) on him in the Footscray report. Have I missed something about his impact?

A mere couple of weeks ago Khamis was hailed as having a breakthrough match. Yes, he was dire last week and I?m actually often very critical of his positioning even in wins, but why is JOD always pushed up when in his handful of games he has been no more ?promising?in his handful of games than Buku? I just find it curious and would be interested to know the thinking behind it.

I guess because when he doesn't have a great game he's mostly just kinda there but not out of position constantly. Unless we feel Bus is ready to play or Keath would do the role well (or we think we just roll with Coffield) he just seems the obvious next in line.

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 04:33 PM
English ruled out.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1627490

lemmon
13-08-2024, 04:41 PM
Genuine question that might be one for track watchers, can we gauge who tends to be the best tap ruck of Smith, Lobb and Darcy? Darcy seems more effective than Lobb when he's gone in there at AFL level, but I wonder how Smith stacks up purely in the ruck duels (no doubt the other two are well ahead of him in other facets of the game).

Smith is averaging 27 hit-outs per game in the twos, which seems pretty solid for a youngster.

G-Mo77
13-08-2024, 04:43 PM
So Lobb ruck, Darcy backup. Do we bring a guy like Keath back to help down back?

azabob
13-08-2024, 04:54 PM
So Lobb ruck, Darcy backup. Do we bring a guy like Keath back to help down back?

No. Lobb CHB. Gardner ruck, Darcy back up.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 04:54 PM
Genuine question that might be one for track watchers, can we gauge who tends to be the best tap ruck of Smith, Lobb and Darcy? Darcy seems more effective than Lobb when he's gone in there at AFL level, but I wonder how Smith stacks up purely in the ruck duels (no doubt the other two are well ahead of him in other facets of the game).

Smith is averaging 27 hit-outs per game in the twos, which seems pretty solid for a youngster.

Be interesting if we bring in an 18 year old ruckman against Xerri

Happy Days
13-08-2024, 04:56 PM
We played Gardner as a forward last week in the VFL. Possible that he comes in and backs up Darcy as the lead ruck?

I don’t wanna move Lobb either even though I think he’s plainly the best ruck of those available.

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 05:10 PM
No. Lobb CHB. Gardner ruck, Darcy back up.

+ 1 this is what i'd do.

I dont want Lobb stuffed around.

GVGjr
13-08-2024, 06:00 PM
We will know early tomorrow what we are planning to do without Tim this weekend. If we see Gardner or Lobb working with the midfielders it will likely flag our intention. I'll keep the training report updated tomorrow :)

The Adelaide Connection
13-08-2024, 06:09 PM
We will know early tomorrow what we are planning to do without Tim this weekend. If we see Gardner or Lobb working with the midfielders it will likely flag our intention. I'll keep the training report updated tomorrow :)

What is Dunkley up to this weekend?

Go_Dogs
13-08-2024, 06:13 PM
I don?t have the misfortune of watching the game and won?t be replaying.

I would?ve brought in Sanders and JF last week. This week we should.

Buku will redeem himself and I?d keep him in, because his best intercept ability is game changing and he can also chop in the ruck if Tim is injured.

Harmes must be close too.

Hotdog60
13-08-2024, 06:39 PM
Who rucks when Xerri not rucking?
If we bring in Smith he could take the second ruck with Darcy being the main man. This bloods Smith to an AFL game and less disruptions to other positions. Smith can also sit in the forward half instead of clogging the bench.
Not ideal or I'd would use Buku instead of Smith above.
Busslinger also had a good game against the Dolphins and must be due and I wasn't impressed with Coffield.
If we do pick Buss I don't think we can use Smith two debutants would be too much.

bornadog
13-08-2024, 08:05 PM
Who rucks when Xerri not rucking?
If we bring in Smith he could take the second ruck with Darcy being the main man. This bloods Smith to an AFL game and less disruptions to other positions. Smith can also sit in the forward half instead of clogging the bench.
Not ideal or I'd would use Buku instead of Smith above.
Busslinger also had a good game against the Dolphins and must be due and I wasn't impressed with Coffield.
If we do pick Buss I don't think we can use Smith two debutants would be too much.

I am warming to this. I don't think Gardner should be thrown into the ruck

GVGjr
13-08-2024, 08:11 PM
I am warming to this. I don't think Gardner should be thrown into the ruck

I can only recall Gards doing one or two ruck work attempts on his return game against Frankston either. I get the suggestion but I don't think Smith is ready and he would certainly be a bit of a liability when he wasn't rucking.

Happy Days
13-08-2024, 08:34 PM
After spending most of my day thinking about it, I’ve settled on Keath in, Darcy into the ruck, Buku forward and chopping out Darcy, and no one even tells Lobb that Tim isn’t playing.

jeemak
13-08-2024, 09:40 PM
Lobb to the ruck, Keath to CHB.

If we don't even try to give decent service to our midfielders or at least curtail the service on offer from Xerri this week we are going to be proper ****ed by Norf's mids and lose.

It's genuinely the one single area on the ground I'm worried about. We've shown at different times this season we can make a Keath and Jones combo work really well. Not sure why we'd ignore that and dick around with a non-competitive novice ruck just in case Lobb loses backline form.

We won't have to worry about anything in terms of a future scenario if we don't win.

Hotdog60
13-08-2024, 10:27 PM
I've worked it out Treloar, Bontempelli and Richards to half back and Freijeh, Garcia and Harmes in the middle and if their mid so much look at the ball palmed down to them we tackle the crap out of them. We run our center clearance of the half back line. :)

Jeanette54
13-08-2024, 11:11 PM
Whatever happens, I would much prefer Darcy not to play as the main ruckman. He has been largely injury free so far this year.

jeemak
13-08-2024, 11:57 PM
Whatever happens, I would much prefer Darcy not to play as the main ruckman. He has been largely injury free so far this year.

It's good point J54, and especially so given Naughton's issues whatever they actually are.

1eyedog
15-08-2024, 03:14 PM
Seriously? The renaissance man forgets he play Ruck, CHB, FWD after a game maybe two? Lobb is thriving on being needed in AFL games. He's made it known he needs to play AFL not VFL and it doesn't matter what position, he will give his all and he has. He's become the ultimate team man when many of us witnessed him appearing to be on autopilot earlier in the year. Sure an uninterrupted go at CHB would be ideal for his development but he's proved himself to be more talented and truly versatile than any of Bevo's wacko positional punts. He'll click back in to CHB because he's learnt the reward of stretching his skills. His success at CHB is largely from his rucking experience not his fwd experience. Not many players prosper in multiple roles but he does, it suits him and I reckon he deserves more trust than what he's being afforded at the moment.

I don't he's at his third club and up until 6 weeks ago was more than halfway to his fourth. I'd like to see some continuity there first because trust is hard to build and Rory has a history of flopping in and out of football conciousness.

Vote 1 for 2 metre Keath in the ruck.

Grantysghost
15-08-2024, 07:24 PM
The Western Bulldogs will make at least three changes against North Melbourne this Sunday.
Tim English will miss the clash with an ankle injury, while Riley Garcia (omitted) and Nick Coffield (omitted) will also miss.
Joel Freijah is the only confirmed inclusion at this stage, with Harvey Gallagher, Arthur Jones, Alex Keath, Jack Macrae and James O’Donnell making up part of the extended interchange

bornadog
15-08-2024, 07:28 PM
Please not Keath - he is cooked

bornadog
15-08-2024, 07:32 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: J.Freijah, H.Gallagher, A.Jones, A.Keath, J.Macrae, J.O'Donnell
Out: N.Coffield (omitted), T.English (ankle), R.Garcia (omitted)

Last week's sub: Caleb Daniel

Grantysghost
15-08-2024, 07:36 PM
Wonder if that's curtains for Garcia.

bornadog
15-08-2024, 07:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVAofg6aAAA5WiW?format=jpg&name=900x900

bornadog
15-08-2024, 07:38 PM

You can say what you want, but he had his chances and he hasn't played well.

hujsh
15-08-2024, 07:40 PM
Given G's reports it looks like Coffield is the mystery omission as expected and given Freijah is named on the wing Poulter should be the other omission once the bench is confirmed.

Thinking back to Brisbane I would not be surprised if J.O'Donnell was brought in as a forward to either second ruck or swing back and cover Lobb when Lobb rucks

Given that my guess on final changes

Out: N.Coffield, T.English, R.Garcia, Poulter
In: Gallager (sub), JOD, Macrae, Freijah

Bullies
15-08-2024, 07:44 PM
Given G's reports it looks like Coffield is the mystery omission as expected and given Freijah is named on the wing Poulter should be the other omission once the bench is confirmed.

Thinking back to Brisbane I would not be surprised if J.O'Donnell was brought in as a forward to either second ruck or swing back and cover Lobb when Lobb rucks

Given that my guess on final changes

Out: N.Coffield, T.English, R.Garcia, Poulter
In: Gallager (sub), JOD, Macrae, Freijah Would Buku not go forward and JOD go back? I would actually prefer to see JOD on wing in place of Poulter.

GVGjr
15-08-2024, 07:44 PM
We should be able to confirm the line-up early tomorrow as it's more or less a captains run for the VFL players. They'll hold and extra player back though.

I'm going with 4 inclusions this week with Freijah (confirmed) Macrae, Gallagher and JOD coming in
Outs English, Garcia, Coffield (all confirmed) and Poulter. Poults should stay in Melbourne
I'm tipping that Williams might play forward this week.

1eyedog
15-08-2024, 07:49 PM

They don't like what he does do they.

hujsh
15-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Would Buku not go forward and JOD go back? I would actually prefer to see JOD on wing in place of Poulter.

I'm partly going by the named side with Buku back. Assuming that's accurate it makes more sense to me to ruck Lobb in support of Darcy since he's named as the starting Ruck. Darcy+Buku feels like it's putting extra pressure on Darcy in a way.

Grantysghost
15-08-2024, 09:10 PM
They don't like what he does do they.
No, there's clearly something missing from his game.
I like him personally, Clay Smith vibes and he's young in terms of games played.
I think you need heart and soul players.

Mantis
16-08-2024, 12:01 PM
You can say what you want, but he had his chances and he hasn't played well.

I?ve pretty much missed our last 2 games due to being on a holiday so can?t comment, but his stat lines aren?t terrible so what?s missing?

GVGjr
16-08-2024, 12:05 PM
24 players on the track today once the VFL players went off. Poulter or Gallagher to stay in Vic as an emergency rather than travel to Sydney. The other one will play.

azabob
16-08-2024, 06:02 PM
Gallagher gets the nod over Poulter.

azabob
16-08-2024, 06:03 PM
IN: Macrae, JOD, Freijah, Gallagher
OUT: English, Garcia, Coffield, Poulter.

bornadog
16-08-2024, 06:03 PM
Gallagher gets the nod over Poulter.

I think he is unlucky, but Gallagher was good in the VFL

GVGjr
16-08-2024, 06:05 PM
IN: Macrae, JOD, Freijah, Gallagher
OUT: English, Garcia, Coffield, Poulter.

It's the way I thought it might be. Do you know if the Footscray boys have been named yet? I'd be surprised if Poulter travels.

Axe Man
16-08-2024, 06:06 PM
It's the way I thought it might be. Do you know if the Footscray boys have been named yet? I'd be surprised if Poulter travels.

Spot on again GVG. Can we have next week's Powerball numbers when you get a chance? ;)

GVGjr
16-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Spot on again GVG. Can we have next week's Powerball numbers when you get a chance? ;)

It's taken 18 months but perhaps Bevo isn't that hard to read after all. :)
He's certainly not the mad scientist some people think he is. A lot of the Supercoach flat earthers on X however, might disagree with me. :)

azabob
16-08-2024, 06:29 PM

Gut feel is Poulter stays in Melbourne as the game day emergency.

G-Mo77
16-08-2024, 07:41 PM
Got to say Poulter is very unlucky.

josie
16-08-2024, 07:43 PM
Got to say Poulter is very unlucky.

And Buku is lucky.

bornadog
16-08-2024, 09:31 PM
And Buku is lucky.

He was terrible last week, and Poulter wasn't too bad, although he had 9 turnovers, which the MC probably weren't happy about.

jeemak
16-08-2024, 09:39 PM
He was terrible last week, and Poulter wasn't too bad, although he had 9 turnovers, which the MC probably weren't happy about.

Skill errors if an issue over a couple of weeks or a trend might get you dropped, but usually instructions not being followed and effort make or break someone like Poulter's role in the side if they appeared OK.

bornadog
16-08-2024, 09:40 PM
Skill errors if an issue over a couple of weeks or a trend might get you dropped, but usually instructions not being followed and effort make or break someone like Poulter's role in the side if they appeared OK.

Fair enough

Bulldog Joe
16-08-2024, 09:56 PM

Poulter was terrible with his constant fumbling also increasing pressure on himself and everyone else.

Jeanette54
17-08-2024, 12:10 AM
We've had a lot of rain today/tonight. So glad we are playing at Marvel this weekend. Hopefully Ballarat dries a little before next weekend.

jeemak
17-08-2024, 12:27 AM
Fair enough

That's right. :)

Bullies
17-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Poulter was terrible with his constant fumbling also increasing pressure on himself and everyone else. Poulter does not like contact or pressure. All good when we are travelling well with a big lead but when the whips are cracking and the heat comes on he struggles.