PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 24 VS GWS

Scraggers
10-06-2024, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty-Three match against North Melbourne for our Round Twenty-Four match against GWS at Mars Stadium on Sunday 25 August (first game of the last home and away day)

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
17-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
18-08-2024, 04:28 PM
Wait and see on results.

Maybe English for Khamis. Id like Sanders in, but not sure where he gets in.

bornadog
18-08-2024, 05:07 PM
Hopefully Lobb and Naughty are ok

jDogs
18-08-2024, 05:11 PM
Assuming English is still injured, my immediate thoughts

In: Macrae into the starting 22, Sanders as sub
Out: Gallagher.

GVGjr
18-08-2024, 05:36 PM
Assuming English is still injured, my immediate thoughts

In: Macrae into the starting 22, Sanders as sub
Out: Gallagher.

Naughton should be fine. The medicos focused on the injury being more cramp related than a hamstring by the exercises they gave him.
Lobb is sore and I suspect he will have a light week on the track. He's a bit tougher than many have given him credit for but to me if he rucks too much it will shorten his career.

kruder
18-08-2024, 09:06 PM
Harmes really helped us get a foot in the season prior to his hammy I'm keen to bring him in this week to replace Gags who just isn't ready for AFL yet.

If English is fit then he replaces Buku, with JOD ahead of him at this stage.

DOG GOD
18-08-2024, 10:24 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go unchanged. Macrae sub again.
I’m very hesitant in playing all of Libba, Daniel, Macrae and sanders. All are relatively slow. If gws get running then they’ll be taking us for pace. This is why I think Gags stays in and macrae to be sub again.

Let’s just pray to god we don’t see hogan vs Buku at any stage.

jazzadogs
18-08-2024, 10:26 PM
Just watching the replay and West was in a head high collision about five minutes before he got subbed - I know we said it was tactical but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some concussion caution, and would have him in some doubt for next week.

bornadog
19-08-2024, 12:06 AM
Just watching the replay and West was in a head high collision about five minutes before he got subbed - I know we said it was tactical but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some concussion caution, and would have him in some doubt for next week.

I thought the same.

Mantis
19-08-2024, 07:43 AM

He?s had 3 very quiet games in a row so in terms of selection integrity he must be close to having a spell anyway.

azabob
19-08-2024, 09:22 AM
So we are in a must win game and a few key players under injury clouds.

Naughton, West, English (likely to miss) and Lobb is banged up.

GVGjr
19-08-2024, 10:48 AM
So we are in a must win game and a few key players under injury clouds.

Naughton, West, English (likely to miss) and Lobb is banged up.

We've got a deep enough list. Naughton should be fine and providing we get Lobb right we've got a few options to consider. Running Daniel and Macrae into form has helped

bornadog
19-08-2024, 10:51 AM
We've got a deep enough list. Naughton should be fine and providing we get Lobb right we've got a few options to consider. Running Daniel and Macrae into form has helped

I thought both Daniel and Macrae were very good yesterday. Macrae came on about mid 3rd quarter and kicked two goals and picked up 17 disposals.

azabob
19-08-2024, 10:52 AM
I thought both Daniel and Macrae were very good yesterday. Macrae came on about mid 3rd quarter and kicked two goals and picked up 17 disposals.

Agree BAD. This is why I want to keep both Macrae and Daniel into 2025.

GVGjr
19-08-2024, 10:55 AM
Agree BAD. This is why I want to keep both Macrae and Daniel into 2025.

Me to. I couldn't blame them for considering offers though.

GVGjr
19-08-2024, 10:57 AM

Yep, having a competitive Footscray side has helped keep players sharp. I thought both of them played well and their decision making in tight contests was spot on.

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 11:00 AM

Macrae putting on a good show for his next coach /s

Bullies
19-08-2024, 11:06 AM
Yep, having a competitive Footscray side has helped keep players sharp. I thought both of them played well and their decision making in tight contests was spot on. Still don't think we can have both in the team. We can't go back to the way we were. North were witches hats yesterday. GWS are full of speed and that is something we are working on doing and is the reason our form has flipped on its head.

Daniel is a very smart player and good with ball in hand but he also stifles our run by running around in circles when has the ball. It is part of the reason he no longer takes kick outs.

One needs to be sub and also means Sanders won't play with both Macrae and Daniel in the team.

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 11:13 AM
Still don't think we can have both in the team. We can't go back to the way we were. North were witches hats yesterday. GWS are full of speed and that is something we are working on doing and is the reason our form has flipped on its head.

Daniel is a very smart player and good with ball in hand but he also stifles our run by running around in circles when has the ball. It is part of the reason he no longer takes kick outs.

One needs to be sub and also means Sanders won't play with both Macrae and Daniel in the team.

Agree. That was as non-competitive a game as you will ever have and probably not a great lead in to the Giants who are the best pressure side in the competition.

Awesome win though of course. Have we ever had as many near 90+ point wins ever?!

I wouldn't mind bringing Harmes in for Caleb.

comrade
19-08-2024, 11:33 AM
One of Macrae/Daniel as the sub feels right to me, but both in the side slows down our run. I?d be looking at getting Harmes into the side as soon as possible - I like his speed and goal kicking - probably at Caleb?s expense.

We?ve also found our long term wing in Freijah. Kid is a star and I can?t wait to see him up close in the Rat this week.

whythelongface
19-08-2024, 11:49 AM
One of Macrae/Daniel as the sub feels right to me, but both in the side slows down our run. I?d be looking at getting Harmes into the side as soon as possible - I like his speed and goal kicking - probably at Caleb?s expense.

We?ve also found our long term wing in Freijah. Kid is a star and I can?t wait to see him up close in the Rat this week.

Agree with the Harmes call. Can also hit the scoreboard which is an added bonus. If there is any concern with West then Harmes is straight in.

Freijah had a breakout game yesterday. Looks so assured for an 18 year old. Baffled how he went so low in the draft.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2024, 12:09 PM
Freijah has looked the goods from day 1. So excited at what he brings. He's going to be mr dependable for us for a very long time.

Dry Rot
19-08-2024, 03:08 PM
Thinking about our opponents this week, who do the Giants play on Darcy?

Mantis
19-08-2024, 04:05 PM
Thinking about our opponents this week, who do the Giants play on Darcy?

They have a few options with all of Taylor, Buckley or Himmelberg possibilities... really depends on who they seeing as the better match-ups.

Happy Days
19-08-2024, 04:17 PM
They typically play Taylor on Naughton and Buckley on Jamarra, but I’m gonna assume the course of the season might have changed their thinking on that. Lachie Keefe played at both ends on the weekend, he has the height for Darcy but he also sucks really bad so fingers crossed that’s what they do.

Bulldog Joe
19-08-2024, 04:26 PM
They typically play Taylor on Naughton and Buckley on Jamarra, but I’m gonna assume the course of the season might have changed their thinking on that. Lachie Keefe played at both ends on the weekend, he has the height for Darcy but he also sucks really bad so fingers crossed that’s what they do.

Naughton has not done well against Taylor so that means Taylor will go to Naughton

Probably Buckley will take Jamarra

Will they use Himmelberg on Darcy?

Keefe could be the choice as he can also takes the ruck when Darcy does.

jeemak
19-08-2024, 04:44 PM
He?s had 3 very quiet games in a row so in terms of selection integrity he must be close to having a spell anyway.

I viewed his subbing out for tactical reasons as a very clear shot across his bow that his form isn't good enough at the minute.

bornadog
19-08-2024, 04:54 PM
I viewed his subbing out for tactical reasons as a very clear shot across his bow that his form isn't good enough at the minute.

Agree, he hasn't played well, but also he could have been concussed as his head got smashed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVUpISraIAALuS_?format=png&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVUpXtUasAABcLF?format=jpg&name=medium

jeemak
19-08-2024, 05:04 PM
If it turns out he's in concussion protocols then I'll take it back. I don't think we're in a position to be hiding concussions and calling them tactical subs.

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 05:19 PM
Westy did this last year? Form dropped the longer the season went on.

bornadog
19-08-2024, 05:22 PM
If it turns out he's in concussion protocols then I'll take it back. I don't think we're in a position to be hiding concussions and calling them tactical subs.

Could be delayed concussion. I am just guessing, but it was a nasty hit.

In any case, do you drop him and bring in Harmes, or he will be fine?

azabob
19-08-2024, 07:46 PM
I am really concerned with Khamis this week.

GWS have an extremely talented forwards with high footy IQ and have the potential to expose a couple of our defenders.

Happy Days
19-08-2024, 08:01 PM

GWS have an extremely talented forwards with high footy IQ and have the potential to expose a couple of our defenders.

I’d drop him for English if he’s fit with Lobb moving back. He was actually pretty okay defensively against North without having a ton to do, seemed to play from much further back and helped more than being caught one out, but it’s not a gamble I wanna take against a good team.

If English isn’t good to go I’d almost rather Buku in the ruck than in the backline.

josie
19-08-2024, 08:02 PM

Me too. If Khamis is to play I’d rather let him ruck & Lobb back. In fact I know it’s not the time to debut a player but I’ve got more confidence in Buss than Khamis. I’d also prefer Coffield.

Grantysghost
19-08-2024, 08:51 PM
Khamis was ok v North I thought.

Can't see him being dropped any time soon.

Maybe I'm half blind though!

josie
19-08-2024, 09:00 PM

It’s when he is 1 on 1, I think he really struggles and you can bet thats going to happen vs plastics. Crows played through him a lot so bet that’s what GWS do too.

PS GG-if you wear those super cool sunnies all the time (like your McNeil avatar) no wonder you’re blind.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2024, 09:15 PM
Given JOD came in and played well I think he’s moved ahead of Buku for that third tall role on the basis that Lobb can go back, with English coming in.

If English isn’t ready (which seems likely based on what’s here) it gets a bit harder and I’d probably go in unchanged.

I appreciate Gags comments - he’s learning, prone to making some errors, but also is clearly delivering on the expectations of the MC with elements of his overall game. I’m supportive of him staying in against the dynamic GWS side.

Sub is one of Macrae or Daniel again for me.

Both were good contributors but feel we need the legs.

FrediKanoute
19-08-2024, 10:39 PM

He was involved in 3 of our first 6 goals - shepherd to allow JUH to run in and score; mayhem that allowed Naughton to get the ball and do the don't argue and the pass to Darcy.

When the game was alive he was important. I agree not as clean as some weeks, but deserves some credits for the 25 goals he had snagged this year and the number of score involvements/assists.

Scraggers
20-08-2024, 01:02 PM

His disposal and decision making, particularly in the first half was terrible. If English is fit, he comes back in and Lobb goes back. I don't think Khamis should play again this year. It pains me to say that ... I am a Buku fan.

Axe Man
20-08-2024, 01:33 PM
His disposal and decision making, particularly in the first half was terrible. If English is fit, he comes back in and Lobb goes back. I don't think Khamis should play again this year. It pains me to say that ... I am a Buku fan.

From memory his first 2 kicks were poor but after that I don't think he did much wrong. Generally it's his defending, not disposal that's the concern.

With English unlikely this week we will get another look at both Buku and JOD, I would expect 1 to be omitted for the first final should we make it.

Happy Days
20-08-2024, 04:57 PM
West broke his jaw and won’t play this weekend. Hope you’re happy Jeemak.

jDogs
20-08-2024, 04:59 PM
West had surgery on his jaw and will miss this week's game according to Josh Gabelich on twitter. Pretty lucky it wasn't worse I reckon, it was a brutal collision.

edit: sorry, didn't see the first post about it.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 05:01 PM
Also, English is listed as TEST

whythelongface
20-08-2024, 05:04 PM
West broke his jaw and won’t play this weekend. Hope you’re happy Jeemak.

Broke his jaw and only missing (potentially) one game. Think it will be longer. Are there different grades of broken jaws? Years ago this would be a season ending injury

Sedat
20-08-2024, 05:05 PM
West broke his jaw and won’t play this weekend.
Perfect replacement in Harmes - you know it

Sedat
20-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Broke his jaw and only missing (potentially) one game. Think it will be longer. Are there different grades of broken jaws? Years ago this would be a season ending injury
Plough got his entire face caved in by Grinter and didn't miss a match. His entire jaw was wired up.

Happy Days
20-08-2024, 05:07 PM
Perfect replacement in Harmes - you know it

Don’t like what you’re implying about West by saying this but I guess we don’t have a choice.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-08-2024, 05:11 PM
Sucks West will miss as he's a great pressure forward who gets involved. It'll surely be Harmes in but not sure we can still carry Macrae and Daniel. We need more zip for the giants.

jDogs
20-08-2024, 05:13 PM

I'd imagine there are a few grades of broken jaw, from hairline fracture to jaw is broken into pieces.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 05:13 PM
If Tim passes test then:

In: English, Harmes

Out: Buku, West

bornadog
20-08-2024, 05:14 PM
I'd imagine there are a few grades of broken jaw, from hairline fracture to jaw is broken into pieces.

From injury report:

?In the third quarter of the game during a marking contest, Rhylee West receive some contact to his jaw from an opposition knee,? Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

?This impact has caused a crack in his jawbone. The injury has required some surgery to stabilise the fracture that was completed yesterday.

meenies
20-08-2024, 07:34 PM
I thought Buku did well in the ruck and not so bad around the ground. JOD seemed to play more of the Lobb role. Only change I would do is Harmes for West. If want Sanders in, take out CD.

bornadog
20-08-2024, 07:36 PM
I thought Buku did well in the ruck and not so bad around the ground. JOD seemed to play more of the Lobb role. Only change I would do is Harmes for West. If want Sanders in, take out CD.

So if Tim is ready, would you play him?

jeemak
20-08-2024, 07:43 PM
West broke his jaw and won?t play this weekend. Hope you?re happy Jeemak.

Note that he was still subbed tactically.

Grantysghost
20-08-2024, 07:45 PM
Classic.

Jeanette54
20-08-2024, 07:59 PM
So if Tim is ready, would you play him?

Absolutely yes, if we don't win there is no next week.

Jeanette54
20-08-2024, 08:00 PM

I think that was tactfully

meenies
20-08-2024, 08:59 PM
not expecting Timmy to play

hujsh
20-08-2024, 09:07 PM
I feel like if Tim plays he's going to be in his shell unless he's absolutely 100% in top shape

comrade
20-08-2024, 09:33 PM
I feel like if Tim plays he's going to be in his shell unless he's absolutely 100% in top shape

Yeah, don't play him unless he's right or we'll get a repeat of the Crows game.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 09:38 PM
I'm backing him to atone for his last performance.

hujsh
20-08-2024, 11:22 PM
I'm backing him to atone for his last performance.

He's a slow starter coming back from injury. Granted they've usually been concussion related so maybe it's a bit different but he doesn't strike me as the 'play through the pain' type.

jeemak
20-08-2024, 11:25 PM
He's a slow starter coming back from injury. Granted they've usually been concussion related so maybe it's a bit different but he doesn't strike me as the 'play through the pain' type.

I reckon Tim's played through more pain than you might realise over his tenure with us (in his early days he looked like South Park Jesus getting beaten up by Satan some weeks). Most of the contest guys do.

My point in this case is that he would have been stung by the result and overt criticism, let alone the in between stuff Beveridge levelled at him post game. If he has any pride, which I think he does, then he'll be keen to atone.

Happy Days
21-08-2024, 12:17 AM
I’m glad that if Tim had to absolutely miss a game, it was against Tristan Xerri. That guy is an animal.

mjp
21-08-2024, 02:00 PM
I’m glad that if Tim had to absolutely miss a game, it was against Tristan Xerri. That guy is an animal.

But Briggs isn't??

Briggs 23 > Xerri 24.

The question is I guess is Briggs going to be able to recapture his form/attitude from late last season.

azabob
21-08-2024, 02:04 PM
But Briggs isn't??

Briggs 23 > Xerri 24.

The question is I guess is Briggs going to be able to recapture his form/attitude from late last season.

I am also clinging to the hope that Briggs shoulder is still causing him grief. He looked tender during the closing stages of the Freo game.

Axe Man
21-08-2024, 02:13 PM
I am also clinging to the hope that Briggs shoulder is still causing him grief. He looked tender during the closing stages of the Freo game.

He has confirmed it is:

'Bring it on': Giants duo welcome attacks on sore shoulders (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1201501/bring-it-on-giants-duo-ready-to-shoulder-arms-for-dog-fight)

Briggs missed the Giants' stirring win against Brisbane two weeks ago with a sore shoulder, and late on in the win over the Dockers he seemed to be in serious pain in that area again.

Fears over the 24-year old's fitness for the remainder of the season were allayed slightly as he waved the trainers away and pressed on in the ruck, and he admits that’ll likely be the way of it for the rest of the year.

"It's not looking likely at this stage," Briggs said in regard to the possibility of surgery at the end of the season.

"Structurally it's fine, so I've just got to suck it up.

"It's just going to be stingers for the rest of the year, it is what it is. Ninety per cent of players at this time of the year are carrying some sort of niggle, sometimes it hurts but we'll move on and get through it," he added.

Axe Man
21-08-2024, 02:16 PM
Must have been a Tim English lookalike doing laps today?

Big Dog set to miss again, swingman to assume ruck duties (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1201921/western-bulldogs-ruckman-tim-english-set-to-miss-again-swingman-rory-lobb-to-assume-ruck-duties-again)

Rory Lobb will play at least one more week in the ruck with No.1 ruckman Tim English to miss the Bulldogs' clash with the Giants

NEWLY re-signed ruck Tim English will sit out the Western Bulldogs' crucial final-round rivalry clash with Greater Western Sydney due to an ankle injury.

English missed last week's thumping win over North Melbourne, with rejuvenated big man Rory Lobb impressing in his absence after another positional shift.

The 27-year-old didn't train at the Whitten Oval on Wednesday and Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge all but ruled English out of taking on the Giants.

"He's close," Beveridge said of English, who last week turned his back on free agency to stay with the Dogs until the end of 2029.

"Hopefully he gets a chance (to return) and we get a look by winning this weekend, but we don't anticipate he's going to be available this week."

After reviving his career by moving to defence during the past two months, Lobb returned to his roots against the Kangaroos.

The former Giants player will face up to GWS big man Kieren Briggs in their Ballarat blockbuster on Sunday.

Lobb will have a lighter week on the track after copping a heavy knock against North.

"'Lobby', he's almost got that attitude that if you cut the leg off, he'll grow it back," Beveridge said.

"I was trying to work out what sort of reptile ... whether it's a salamander, or a chameleon, or just your garden variety lizard that can do that, but that's why I love his attitude.

"He thinks he can play until he's he's old and grey, but straight away he'll declare that he's going to be OK.

"It's pretty healthy to have him with that flexibility in his game."

The Bulldogs need to beat the Giants to be guaranteed of playing in the finals, but could finish as high as fourth if Geelong and Brisbane suffered monumental upsets.

If Hawthorn, Carlton and Fremantle all win and the Bulldogs fall to the Giants, they would slip out of the top eight.

Meanwhile, injured midfielder Bailey Smith made a surprise appearance at the club this week as the 23-year-old weighs up his future.

Smith has been completing much of his recovery from an ACL operation away from the Whitten Oval.

Beveridge last week said "as time goes on, your confidence levels start to wane a little bit" when asked about Smith's future at the club.

"It's always nice having him around," Beveridge said on Wednesday of Smith.

"Because his first game back is such a long way away, there's no need for him to be here all the time.

"Obviously he's chomping at the bit to play football this time of year, so it's hard to curb his excitement levels, but it's great to see him.

"He'll be in and out (of the club) over the next period of time."

Beveridge began his press conference by paying tribute to journalist Sam Landsberger following his sudden and tragic death on Tuesday.

Landsberger was a passionate Bulldogs supporter, with his father Jake having served as the club's medical officer for many years.

"Obviously a really tragic set of circumstances, and a challenging and morbid time for the family so love to you Jake and Anne and the family, we're thinking of you," Beveridge said.

Happy Days
21-08-2024, 02:38 PM
But Briggs isn't??

Briggs 23 > Xerri 24.

Briggs is physical but Xerri is on another level. I was wincing by the third quarter for Lobb.

Mofra
21-08-2024, 03:20 PM
Briggs is physical but Xerri is on another level. I was wincing by the third quarter for Lobb.
We kept Lobb on ice in the last quarter and let Buks cop the hits. I think we decided before the North game that we'll keep Lobby fresh for the GWS match

bornadog
21-08-2024, 03:22 PM
We kept Lobb on ice in the last quarter and let Buks cop the hits. I think we decided before the North game that we'll keep Lobby fresh for the GWS match

He did look banged up especially that big bump as he kicked the ball forward in the 3rd quarter

angelopetraglia
21-08-2024, 03:42 PM
He did look banged up especially that big bump as he kicked the ball forward in the 3rd quarter

That happened right in front of where I was sitting, it looked like he copped a blow to the plums or the guts. He was in a lot of pain.

1eyedog
22-08-2024, 09:44 AM
If we win well this week no changes for the EF with the Dawks.

comrade
22-08-2024, 09:45 AM
If we win well this week no changes for the EF with the Dawks.

No Timmy?

kruder
22-08-2024, 02:08 PM

Should of used his hands we had mids everywhere.

bornadog
22-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Should of used his hands we had mids everywhere.

Not sure if we are talking about the same incident.

Lobb was running with the ball and executed a pass, but as he kicked it, he was bowled over by the North player, and landed awkwardly.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-08-2024, 03:06 PM
Ballarat forecast for the big day.
Can our talls dominate?:

SummaryMin 9Max 19Possible shower.Possible rainfall: 0 to 1 mmChance of any rain: 40%
Partly cloudy. Medium chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Winds northerly 30 to 40 km/h tending north to northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h during the morning then becoming light during the evening.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-08-2024, 03:07 PM
Gail force winds!!!

BornInDroopSt'54
22-08-2024, 03:08 PM
In the morning but strong winds likely.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-08-2024, 03:11 PM
As much as the winds are a problem for our talls, GWS will know they are in hostile territory.
How did Westcoast do us over there, more west than us?

bornadog
22-08-2024, 03:15 PM
As much as the winds are a problem for our talls, GWS will know they are in hostile territory.
How did Westcoast do us over there, more west than us?

Westcoast beat us at Marvel

Mantis
22-08-2024, 07:23 PM
In - English, Garcia, Jones, Poulter
Out - West

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2024, 07:24 PM
In - English, Garcia, Jones, Poulter
Out - West

Wow! Curve ball on English who wasn't even sighted at training!

Surprising there's no Harmes inclusion. Could Jones come in for West?

bornadog
22-08-2024, 07:24 PM
English named in the 22

BornInDroopSt'54
22-08-2024, 07:25 PM
Thanks BAD, that eases my mind.
The sooner it is forgotten, the better.
A low point in the club's history.
I expect to see us with black armbands for Sam Landsberg, a tragic loss, killed by a truck.

bornadog
22-08-2024, 07:26 PM

except we know he was doing laps thanks to Gvgjr and Azabob. Media failed to report it.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2024, 07:26 PM
except we know he was doing laps thanks to Gvgjr and Azabob. Media failed to report it.

Do I really have to use the sarcasm emoji?

bornadog
22-08-2024, 07:28 PM
Do I really have to use the sarcasm emoji?
So do I. ( was having a go media)

The Underdog
22-08-2024, 07:35 PM
If English plays then surely one of Buku or JOD are out. Wouldn’t be surprised if Tim’s a late out though.
Garcia for West seems likely.

hujsh
22-08-2024, 07:38 PM

[35] Caleb Daniel (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I295136) , [12] Harvey Gallagher (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I1017087) , [38] Riley Garcia (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I1006533) , [32] Arthur Jones (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I1020586) , [24] Buku Khamis (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I998782) , [11] Jack Macrae (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I295467) , [18] James O'Donnell (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I1032966) , [25] Caleb Poulter (https://www.afl.com.au/stats/players?playerId=CD_I1011589)

Named bench. Wouldn't be surprised to see either of Buku/O'Donnell out for English.

After his performance last week you'd think Macrae earns a promotion from Sub.

Maybe he swaps with Gallager and Garcia is in for West as the 'terrier'?

So In: English, Garcia

Out: West, Buku

Sub: Gags

bulldogsthru&thru
22-08-2024, 07:42 PM
Garcia just has no forward craft like West does. He's a terrier but doesn't hit the scoreboard.

merantau
22-08-2024, 08:08 PM
This game is the perfect prelude to our finals campaign. Forget about the wind, forget about showers, forget about Tim's ankle. They are coming into hostile territory. Our recent form has been as good as any of our competitors. We have everything to play for. We especially need to expunge the memory of last year's disastrous end to the season. And if any other incentive is needed just think orange.

hujsh
22-08-2024, 08:17 PM
Garcia just has no forward craft like West does. He's a terrier but doesn't hit the scoreboard.

I guess the question then is who listed does fit that bill?

Jones the obvious one but he also goes missing even at VFL level for too long.

Gags is the only other one that maybe fits the bill for me.

Grantysghost
22-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Are we thinking the English inclusion is smoke and mirrors behind the shadows to quote Travis Cloke!?

comrade
22-08-2024, 08:31 PM
Are we thinking the English inclusion is smoke and mirrors behind the shadows to quote Travis Cloke!?

Not usually Bevo?s go but who knows.

azabob
22-08-2024, 08:39 PM

When English was running at training he looked ok. Obviously game day and twisting turning is something else entirely.

Grantysghost
22-08-2024, 08:43 PM
When English was running at training he looked ok. Obviously game day and twisting turning is something else entirely.
Thanks AB.

Grantysghost
22-08-2024, 08:44 PM
Not usually Bevo?s go but who knows.
That is true. Hopefully he's ready to go as the Crows game against another beast in Windscreens with an injury wasn't great.

GVGjr
22-08-2024, 09:18 PM

I think it will be fairly obvious early tomorrow if he is genuinely likely to play or not.

FrediKanoute
22-08-2024, 09:20 PM
Named bench. Wouldn't be surprised to see either of Buku/O'Donnell out for English.

After his performance last week you'd think Macrae earns a promotion from Sub.

Maybe he swaps with Gallager and Garcia is in for West as the 'terrier'?

So In: English, Garcia

Out: West, Buku

Sub: Gags

That's basically how I read it. Like for like replacements. Though I suspect O'Donnell rather than Buku willl miss. Also think Macrae will be sub.

bornadog
22-08-2024, 09:39 PM
I think it will be fairly obvious early tomorrow if he is genuinely likely to play or not.

Is tomorrow the main training day?

Hotdog60
22-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Can we swing Bailey Dale forward to take West's spot?

Happy Days
22-08-2024, 09:59 PM
Can we swing Bailey Dale forward to take West's spot?

No shot. Dale is a Ballarat specialist, when he gets the wind behind him his kicks off HBF are all 100m plays.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2024, 10:15 PM
I think we will end up playing Poulter. He didn't travel with the VFL team last week, staying in Melbourne to be the non playing emergency.

Whether he starts or is sub, I think he might play forward a bit. Perhaps using his bigger frame as a defensive forward in conditions which might suit.

jeemak
22-08-2024, 10:24 PM
I think we will end up playing Poulter. He didn't travel with the VFL team last week, staying in Melbourne to be the non playing emergency.

Whether he starts or is sub, I think he might play forward a bit. Perhaps using his bigger frame as a defensive forward in conditions which might suit.

His long neck will definitely come in handy in the conditions.

josie
22-08-2024, 11:00 PM

Agree-his image used in match side announcement, I reckon he is in side too.

The Adelaide Connection
22-08-2024, 11:48 PM
Has anyone seen the updated weather forecast? Looks horrendous and I don't think it does us any favours...

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 35 km/h during the morning then tending northwesterly during the afternoon.

90% chance of rain, predicted to be 2-10mm

With this in mind, will we cull some talls or just roll with it?

jeemak
22-08-2024, 11:55 PM
Has anyone seen the updated weather forecast? Looks horrendous and I don't think it does us any favours...

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 35 km/h during the morning then tending northwesterly during the afternoon.

90% chance of rain, predicted to be 2-10mm

With this in mind, will we cull some talls or just roll with it?

We're a skillful ball handling side that pressures opposition with long ball deep into the forward line, versus a side that likes to share it and surge forward to a single target, or maybe two targets.

I actually think the conditions suit us irrespective of the lower chance of marking the ball given interceptors should be hampered by the conditions just as much if not more than our tall forwards who need to get it to ground and give us multiple scoring chances after locking it in.

More than any week this season winning at the coal face, or stifling first possession out which we're good at will be super important. Our full ground defence has been elite when we're on this year, so if we can be disciplined in that area I think the conditions will favour us.

comrade
23-08-2024, 12:45 AM
Our best performance of the year was in the wet down in Geelong. We also beat the Giants in similar conditions earlier in the year. Bring on the muck.

jeemak
23-08-2024, 01:07 AM
Our best performance of the year was in the wet down in Geelong. We also beat the Giants in similar conditions earlier in the year. Bring on the muck.

Since that horrible game in the wet in 2018 at Adelaide Oval against Port I feel our wet weather game has been OK. In 2019 we won a game in shocking conditions there in response.

One thing about Beveridge coached teams is good handling that rises above a bit in the wet.

dog town
23-08-2024, 06:54 AM
I think if it?s just heavy with the odd shower and a bit of wind it swings the game in our favour slightly. If it?s hosing down during the actual play it favours no side.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2024, 07:48 AM
Looks like great Westy conditions, shame he’s missing. A few giants seem the type to relish the weather too if it becomes a scrappy inside F50 game with not a lot of clean hands in the air.

English back is great. Game face on Timmy.

The final squad is a bit more challenging.

Could Buku be the sub as he could chop in a range of roles? Prefer not to have Gags or Garcia as sub. They should either play or not. Macrae should play a full game - he was effective forward last week and maybe he can be that player that covers a goal or two again this week?

Sedat
23-08-2024, 09:51 AM
Since that horrible game in the wet in 2018 at Adelaide Oval against Port I feel our wet weather game has been OK. In 2019 we won a game in shocking conditions there in response.

One thing about Beveridge coached teams is good handling that rises above a bit in the wet.
Only because we had our wet weather Port Adelaide specialist playing in Roarke Smith

Happy Days
23-08-2024, 09:51 AM
Only because we had our wet weather Port Adelaide specialist playing in Roarke Smith

And Josh Schache. The mudlark.

Happy Days
23-08-2024, 09:54 AM
For any fellow tea leaves reader they used a picture of Poulter in the team announcement on IG. Gonna assume he’s in.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2024, 09:56 AM
For any fellow tea leaves reader they used a picture of Poulter in the team announcement on IG. Gonna assume he’s in.

I’d assumed Bevo stopped also running our socials after the changes in the off-season?

Not sure it always pans out, but Poulter fits the bill for running power and versatility so could be in the mix for a role or perhaps as sub.

Axe Man
23-08-2024, 10:06 AM
This from Bevo suggests to me Poulter is more likely to come in than Garcia:

While the Bulldogs will be without the services of Rhylee West, Beveridge was confident the team would have several strong options on the back of another strong outing from a number of players in the VFL.

“Lachie McNeil probably played more wing time than he has in the past in the game just gone – he’s an option to play those forward minutes that 'Westy' usually plays,” he said.

“Westy has had a hit of midfield time prior to last week, so with Caleb (Daniel) and Jack (Macrae) coming onto the ground near the end of the game, there are some options there for that midfield that weren’t there previously.

“The boys had a pretty good win for Footscray against Sydney last week, so we’ve got some candidates to come in and play some forward time in Rhylee’s absence."

Happy Days
23-08-2024, 10:15 AM
I’d assumed Bevo stopped also running our socials after the changes in the off-season?

Not sure it always pans out, but Poulter fits the bill for running power and versatility so could be in the mix for a role or perhaps as sub.

We typically struggle with connectivity in the quarters where we don’t have the wind at Ballarat (reasonable). I think Poulter will come in and play on one wing and have a heat map that is just a straight line between the arcs.

Mantis
23-08-2024, 10:26 AM

He may have a big frame, but he doesn't really like physical contact so not sure he would be suited to greasy conditions.

Boots
23-08-2024, 01:17 PM
I don't like the feel of this game at all. We struggle to win outside of finals when finals are on the line, we struggle to win in the last three games of the season, and I think given our abysmal showing in Adelaide only two weeks ago, the Giants are in better form than us.

I think you could read the Geelong-Sydney-Melbourne games as a short burst of form in an otherwise fairly average year, bracketed by really poor games in Adelaide, with the North game telling us nothing useful.

On the other hand, the only two losses in the last six were at Adelaide Oval, so the alternative read is - we're flying except for whatever impact Adelaide Oval has on us specifically.

If we do win this one though, we're a real shot at the flag. We do do well in finals. Generally.

We'll know in the first five minutes if we're 'on' or not. We don't always win when we're 'on', but we do always lose when we're not.

Axe Man
23-08-2024, 01:35 PM
We'll know in the first five minutes if we're 'on' or not. We don't always win when we're 'on', but we do always lose when we're not.

I will have another go at arguing against this narrative. We looked terrible early against Collingwood this year, they had 3 goals in no time and we were lucky we weren't 5 or 6 goals down at quarter time. We won.

Sometimes the early indications are a good predictor for how the game is going to go and sometimes they're not. Starting well is obviously going to give you a better chance of winning but it's not everything.

mjp
23-08-2024, 01:58 PM
We do do well in finals. Generally.

I "generally" feel those of us who sat in the stands in 2021 are "generally" more scarred than the rest of the membership base.

Sadly some things you can't unsee.

PR0408
23-08-2024, 02:18 PM
I "generally" feel those of us who sat in the stands in 2021 are "generally" more scarred than the rest of the membership base.

Reliable source telling me Arty is in

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2024, 02:19 PM

2022 against freo also doesn't help. We started well then too.

This group is bipolar and things can kick in at any moment.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2024, 02:22 PM

Arty makes a lot of sense as a West replacement. But I don't like the idea of him playing in adverse conditions. He's also barely played this season. Bringing him in in such a high stakes game isn't ideal.

But then he's an exciting x factor and unknown. We just have to back the match committee in.....in 2024 I have more faith in them.

Happy Days
23-08-2024, 02:26 PM
Jones maybe makes sense as the sub, but then that means we’re playing both of Macrae and Daniel for full games. I don’t know about that.

Daniel in particular is like the opposite of Dale. His short kick game really doesn’t translate to the conditions at Ballarat and I’d be okay with not picking him at all.

PR0408
23-08-2024, 02:31 PM
Arty makes a lot of sense as a West replacement. But I don't like the idea of him playing in adverse conditions. He's also barely played this season. Bringing him in in such a high stakes game isn't ideal.

But then he's an exciting x factor and unknown. We just have to back the match committee in.....in 2024 I have more faith in them.

He hasn?t played at all this year but watch the vfl closely and I think he has taken his game defensively to the next level. He still does need more in put offensively, however his second half of the year has been very good and had good moments in most games
I think his leg speed against giants is important for team balance.

Boots
23-08-2024, 02:36 PM
I will have another go at arguing against this narrative. We looked terrible early against Collingwood this year, they had 3 goals in no time and we were lucky we weren't 5 or 6 goals down at quarter time. We won.

Sometimes the early indications are a good predictor for how the game is going to go and sometimes they're not. Starting well is obviously going to give you a better chance of winning but it's not everything.

I do get what you mean... but it's less about performance early in matches and more about what I can only describe as body language.

I went to a swans game as few years back at Docklands with my flatmate and we were right in it, score-wise, but I turned to her at the end of the first and said - you'll win this, we're just not in it. She was shocked at the time, and gave me a lot of shit, but they did win, and convincingly. She brings it up every time I say 'yeah we're not on today'. You can just tell with this team sometimes.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2024, 02:40 PM
He hasn?t played at all this year but watch the vfl closely and I think he has taken his game defensively to the next level. He still does need more in put offensively, however his second half of the year has been very good and had good moments in most games
I think his leg speed against giants is important for team balance.

I thought his inclusion in the team was pretty telling. We obviously are looking for leg speed to replace Riley. It's probably down to he or Garica and then Poulter probably would come in for Daniel/Macrae.

Axe Man
23-08-2024, 02:47 PM
I thought his inclusion in the team was pretty telling. We obviously are looking for leg speed to replace Riley. It's probably down to he or Garica and then Poulter probably would come in for Daniel/Macrae.

Arty was in the extended squad last week too. I would be surprised if he was included but it would hardly be the first time I've been surprised by selection.

MrMahatma
23-08-2024, 03:05 PM

2021 finals was fine. I was at the Gabba. I won't say it was enjoyable - it was torture - but all good in hindsight.

Then we flogged Port and that was the end of a crazy season.

bornadog
23-08-2024, 03:24 PM
Arty was in the extended squad last week too. I would be surprised if he was included but it would hardly be the first time I've been surprised by selection.

Personally, I have my doubts if Arty will make it as an AFL footballer and I am surprised he is in the squad. I missed last weeks game, and maybe he played well.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2024, 03:35 PM
2021 finals was fine. I was at the Gabba. I won't say it was enjoyable - it was torture - but all good in hindsight.

Then we flogged Port and that was the end of a crazy season.

End of the season? We did play an exhibition game a week later. Although I guess it doesn't count given it was a meaningless spectacle for our Perth friends.

Pleather Sole
23-08-2024, 03:37 PM
Personally, I have my doubts if Arty will make it as an AFL footballer and I am surprised he is in the squad. I missed last weeks game, and maybe he played well.

Last weeks game is worth a watch. Lots to like from developing players. Arty is much improved of late. His composure is significantly revamped which is huge because he was second guessing, fumbling and not pouncing on opportunities. He gets around the ground much more now and is finding spots and spaces where he needs to be. His finishing is a bunch better too. Not sure if this high pressure game is ideal for him to re-enter the fray but who knows, perhaps its exactly right. If he can harness the power of his zip and flair with real confidence...... Height might be a consideration, depends who is left out I guess.

mjp
23-08-2024, 04:24 PM
2022 against freo also doesn't help. We started well then too.

This group is bipolar and things can kick in at any moment.

LOL. Yep, the group of guys from Melbourne who decided to keep screaming out "We had to pay for flights to come and watch this rubbish" right behind me only added to the joy...as I said to one of them, you think that's bad, I have to catch the train home with all of these peanuts and they do not win graciously.

mjp
23-08-2024, 04:25 PM

This seems like complete insanity.

Oh well...to quote Keely Jones, "You gotta let Bevo be Bevo".

comrade
23-08-2024, 04:30 PM
Yeah, Arty in is not doing it for me at all. Seems the exact opposite type of game that he?d contribute in.

PR0408
23-08-2024, 05:09 PM
Yeah, Arty in is not doing it for me at all. Seems the exact opposite type of game that he?d contribute in.
He deserves his opportunity and has played his role well and is covering the ground extremely well. I?m hopeful he plays well and better than most expect.

GVGjr
23-08-2024, 05:23 PM
Will the weather factor in to final team selection as much as GWS having a smaller forward set-up?
Could there be a chance that Khamis is the sub this week just in case Tim can't get through the full game?
Could we go in with a smaller line-up?

Caleb Daniel normally doesn't perform that well at Ballarat so does he still play given his good form?

bornadog
23-08-2024, 06:03 PM
Will the weather factor in to final team selection as much as GWS having a smaller forward set-up?
Could there be a chance that Khamis is the sub this week just in case Tim can't get through the full game?
Could we go in with a smaller line-up?

Caleb Daniel normally doesn't perform that well at Ballarat so does he still play given his good form?

Khamis is out along with West

In Tim and Arty

Axe Man
23-08-2024, 06:04 PM

Good source!

bornadog
23-08-2024, 06:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVpgNqWX0AADJdE?format=jpg&name=medium

kruder
23-08-2024, 06:06 PM
Gags very lucky again, was well off the pace last week.

bornadog
23-08-2024, 06:06 PM
Gags very lucky again, was well off the pace last week.

Harmes should have come in

kruder
23-08-2024, 06:08 PM
I agree.

angelopetraglia
23-08-2024, 06:14 PM
Arty Jones? Didn't see that coming?

In a tough wet weather football game we are backing in Jones before Harmes or Garcia? I don't get it. Please help me understand.

comrade
23-08-2024, 06:17 PM
Jones struggles to handle it cleanly in the driest of conditions. Bizarre selection.

hujsh
23-08-2024, 06:28 PM
IIRC wasn't it a bit dewey when Jones had a good game against GWS last year? His pressure and evasiveness might still prove useful

hujsh
23-08-2024, 06:28 PM
Good source!

Think he's had one or two good calls in the past. Nice one PR04078

1eyedog
23-08-2024, 06:29 PM
Jones lol sorry what a curve ball.

Hopefully the sub and hopefully not needed.

Grantysghost
23-08-2024, 06:29 PM
Could Arty be earmarked for a particular role?

Or is he just doing the West role straight swap? I don't mind the selection. A little bit of added enthusiasm. I think he's the kind of player that will be better in the AFL if that makes any sense at all.

Critter
23-08-2024, 06:35 PM
I do not mind Arty being selected. The forecast indicates it will be showery, rather than consistently raining? and windy. There will likely be plenty of ground ball - from missed directed kicks or dropped marks. I would prefer Artie to Buku here. In a game like this, one of Buku or JOD is enough and JOD was way better than Buku last week. Way better. So we need to replace Westy.

I think the hope is for McNeill to play half forward, for Arty to play wing and give us pace off contests between the arcs. We?ll see. 🤞

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2024, 06:35 PM
Arty Jones? Didn't see that coming?

In a tough wet weather football game we are backing in Jones before Harmes or Garcia? I don't get it. Please help me understand.

Watched the VFL replay from last week and Jones did look good.

I probably would have preferred Harmes/Garcia but he has been playing the role he seems to be selected to play.

Critter
23-08-2024, 06:40 PM
Oh, and Gallagher for sub. He is developing a lot more slowly than I anticipated.

comrade
23-08-2024, 06:42 PM
I am happy that we?ve retained JOD over Khamis.

Rocket Science
23-08-2024, 06:42 PM
Bless his polyester socks but Arty selected is unmitigated madness.

The lad's gonna touch it three times, twice ineffective.

hujsh
23-08-2024, 06:44 PM
Oh, and Gallagher for sub. He is developing a lot more slowly than I anticipated.

2nd year player who's first year was ruined with injury and has played 18 games this year is what you consider slow? As a 3rd round pick too? West must have been glacial

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2024, 06:45 PM
I don't mind Jones in. We clearly don't trust Garcia for whatever reason.

I would have liked Harmes in, possibly for Gallagher.

josie
23-08-2024, 06:50 PM
Hmm, so much for the photo of Poulter in extended team announcement indicating he is a likely 22. Hope Arty proves me wrong and he has a great match. Saw a few promising things from Arty in last Sunday’s first half vfl match-clever taps, pressure on oppo carrier and IIRC a goal & some goal assists (have not watched second half).

Also hope Daniel and Macrae turn back the clock and grab their spots as their leadership and steadiness in finals should we make it will be valuable. Go Dogs!!

bulldogsthru&thru
23-08-2024, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised Harmes wasn't the inclusion for West.

Honestly though, the MC must've viewed Arty as the best like for like replacement for West. Garcia probably doesn't have enough goal sense and maybe Harmes not enough pace?

And let's be real. If our guys are up and about it shouldn't matter whether it's Arty or Garcia or Poulter.

English in for Khamis is good.

DOG GOD
23-08-2024, 07:08 PM
Hmm, would’ve rather the hardness of Harmes to be honest.
Wish Arty a good game, but yeah…might be lucky to get 5 touches.

Critter
23-08-2024, 07:10 PM
2nd year player who's first year was ruined with injury and has played 18 games this year is what you consider slow? As a 3rd round pick too? West must have been glacial

Fair call. But I wouldn?t have picked him for 18 games. I don?t think he deserved them. I think his disposal, hand or foot, is not the best and, to me, he seems not seem to know what he?s going to do with the ball until it?s firmly in his hands. I think that, similar to Riley Garcia, he needs to hurt the opposition more with his possessions.

To me, West?s problems were always coming to terms with the pace of the game.

lemmon
23-08-2024, 07:35 PM
I think Arty's in as sub. Macrae and Caleb both earnt spots last week and we don't seem to like starting Gallagher there. Our small forwards have all spent time through the middle and on the wing because we've been playing four of them - I think we just see McNeil and Laith taking West's forward minutes with those other guys rotating more heavily through the middle and wing.

Grantysghost
23-08-2024, 07:41 PM
Im a little concerned about our height int the forward line in this inclement weather. Its not just the rain it's the 30 kmh winds. Makes it very difficult to mark the ball, so the ball will be ground level a lot.

Bonus is Naughton is cat like, however Marra is ok and Darcy well he's a giraffe.
I think Greene and Daniels are going to he massive concerns.
Very nervous about this result.

Be so Bulldog to be rated so highly and miss the 8!

West is a bigger out than normal.

Alot will be on Cody, Laith, McNeil to chip in and score.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2024, 07:54 PM
West's form hasn't been great in the last 3 weeks. Hasn't kicked a goal and hasn't impacted as he was previously. Agree his contested game would be well suited to the conditions though.

If we limit Hogan, we should win.

bornadog
23-08-2024, 09:31 PM
West's form hasn't been great in the last 3 weeks. Hasn't kicked a goal and hasn't impacted as he was previously. Agree his contested game would be well suited to the conditions though.

If we limit Hogan, we should win.

I watched some of the last time we played GWS and Jones had the task on being on Hogan. GWS kicked 6 goals for the night, 3 each to Hogan and Greene.

The matchups on them will be very important

comrade
23-08-2024, 10:18 PM
Absolutely pissed down for the last 4-5 hours here. Hope it continues all weekend, the sloppier the better.

hujsh
25-08-2024, 05:13 PM
wrong match committee thread