PDA

View Full Version : Wheelo Bulldog AFL Stats

Eastdog
11-06-2024, 03:23 PM
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_stats_team.html?year=2024

For any woofers interest. It does not tell the whole story but is interesting nonetheless. A lot of our issues are likely very much system based.

Bulldog Score sources for 2024

Ranked 10 for score on turnover
Ranked 1 for score from stoppage
Ranked 11 for score from defensive half
Ranked 3 for score from forward half
Ranked 4 for score from Centre bounce
Ranked 7 for score from kick ins

GVGjr
11-06-2024, 03:26 PM
He does a terrific job with his stats. Started following him earlier to his year.
Stats aren't the be all but they are worth checking

Eastdog
11-06-2024, 03:27 PM
He does a terrific job with his stats. Started following him earlier to his year.

Grantysghost just mentioned this site. Good alternative to Champion Data.

Eastdog
11-06-2024, 03:34 PM
Bulldog defence 2024

Ranked 17 defence 1v1
Ranked 14 percentage of defensive 1 on 1 contests lost
Ranked 16 total tackles
Ranked 5 tackles Inside 50
Ranked 17 Pressure Acts
Ranked 16 Spoils

Grantysghost
11-06-2024, 05:03 PM
Bulldog defence 2024

Ranked 17 defence 1v1
Ranked 16 total tackles
Ranked 17 Pressure Acts
Ranked 16 Spoils
Not great reading for the defenders!

Bullies
11-06-2024, 07:52 PM
Bulldog defence 2024

Ranked 17 defence 1v1
Ranked 16 total tackles
Ranked 17 Pressure Acts
Ranked 16 Spoils

I thought they would be bad but this is ordinary at best.

jazzadogs
11-06-2024, 09:48 PM
I thought they would be bad but this is ordinary at best.

But despite all that, our points against is not too bad - 1037 puts us 9th (ave 79), but 5 of the teams with less points against have also played one less match.

merantau
12-06-2024, 07:30 AM
How the hell have we managed to win six games with stats like that?

Bullies
12-06-2024, 07:53 AM
But despite all that, our points against is not too bad - 1037 puts us 9th (ave 79), but 5 of the teams with less points against have also played one less match. And then those teams at the bottom - Roos/Eagles and Tigers are very ordinary as well and easy to score against. Can't win Finals with a defence like we have.

mjp
12-06-2024, 09:46 AM
Ranked 17 defence 1v1
Pretty sure we know this...this is why getting numbers back is so important and - because we do this, we are 6th for oppo shots on goal.

OK...see above.

Ranked 16 total tackles
Well, we're number #1 for possessions so maybe we've got the ball?

Well, this is a GOOD thing. We're actually 3rd for oppo tackles inside our 50 with only Collingwood and Essendon (if you can believe that) bettr.

Ranked 17 Pressure Acts
Dumbest stat ever.

Ranked 16 Spoils
But we're 2nd for marks...so maybe we just keep catching it.

It's all lies and damned statistics...

hujsh
12-06-2024, 10:21 AM
Ranked 17 Pressure Acts

Dumbest stat ever.

Gasp

bornadog
12-06-2024, 10:22 AM
Gasp

GG walks into the room :D

Grantysghost
12-06-2024, 10:32 AM
Gasp

I think I need a break from Woof to compose myself.

Grantysghost
12-06-2024, 10:33 AM
GG walks into the room :D

I feel it was personal BAD. MJ is angry at me because I pick on WA. He will get this message next week.

bornadog
12-06-2024, 10:38 AM
I feel it was personal BAD. MJ is angry at me because I pick on WA. He will get this message next week.

haha, hilarious :D

mjp
12-06-2024, 10:58 AM

To be fair, you typed it at 10:33am and I received it at 7:55am...I am AHEAD of the game!!

Grantysghost
12-06-2024, 01:20 PM
To be fair, you typed it at 10:33am and I received it at 7:55am...I am AHEAD of the game!!
Haha touche.

Eastdog
18-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Score sources last 5 matches

Ranked 13 scores from turnover
Ranked 3 scores from stoppage
Ranked 12 scores from kick ins

Score origin last 5 matches

Ranked 10 scores from def half
Ranked 14 scores from fwd half
Ranked 1 scores from centre bounce

Defence last 5 matches

Ranked 15 defence 1v1
Ranked 14 % of 1v1 def contests lost
Ranked 12 total tackles
Ranked 12 tackles inside 50
Ranked 12 spoils

Round 18 v Carlton

Score sources

Turnover WB 7.8.50 Carl 7.8.50
Stoppage WB 7.8.50 Carl 4.6.30
Kick In Carl 1.0.6 WB 0.0.0

Def Half WB 5.4.34 Carl 4.6.30
Fwd Half Carlton 7.8.50 WB 5.10.40
Centre Bounce WB 4.2.26 Carl 1.0.6

Eastdog
18-07-2024, 12:27 AM
Western Bulldogs at 20.28
https://youtu.be/n1UjsiItoo4?si=6MTqbPXMm8u8WMBY

bornadog
04-08-2024, 10:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUIXUhuaoAAePkJ?format=jpg&name=large

jazzadogs
04-08-2024, 10:52 PM

So our defence is almost twice as good as the next best (Brisbane). The Lobbster strikes again.

Scorlibo
04-08-2024, 11:25 PM

Looking at the green dots to see the past premiers, it makes it look unlikely that the other 16 teams win this year. And yet, I wonder how many of those dots were 7th on the ladder and needing to win the last three games to make the top four? Fascinating season and clearly Brisbane are now in poll position.

comrade
04-08-2024, 11:28 PM
Just copped the Kayo Mini for the Brisbane/Saints game. Jesus H Christ, the Lions looked incredible. They'll take some beating.

ledge
05-08-2024, 11:31 AM
Just copped the Kayo Mini for the Brisbane/Saints game. Jesus H Christ, the Lions looked incredible. They'll take some beating.

To be fair saints are either very good or very shit.
But I think that the lions will win the flag this year.

Happy Days
05-08-2024, 11:44 AM
Lions are elite at Marvel, we have to get them in Ballarat exclusively from now on.

Sedat
05-08-2024, 12:11 PM
The Dogs have conceded 56 points from turnover combined in the last 3 weeks - this has never been done in the Champion Data era.

comrade
05-08-2024, 12:20 PM
The Dogs have conceded 56 points from turnover combined in the last 3 weeks - this has never been done in the Champion Data era.

Supreme defensive pressure through the middle of the ground and a cohesive back 6 who hold a high press and now are able to intercept better than before seems to be a major factor.

We?re also been living with the ball inside our own forward half so the really dangerous turnover opportunities have been limited for the opposition. That we?ve done it against some good teams is encouraging.

God I hope this form holds once teams adjust.

Happy Days
05-08-2024, 12:27 PM

The Rory Lobb Difference(TM)

angelopetraglia
05-08-2024, 07:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUNBPgZakAAejfM?format=jpg&name=large

macca
05-08-2024, 09:18 PM
Thats a fair gap 3 and 4 place Freo and Carlton.

Sydney are cooked

Eastdog
04-09-2024, 09:06 PM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/04/why-not-us-champion-data-details-the-reasons-why-each-top-8-team-can-win-the/

WHY NOT US? CHAMPION DATA DETAILS THE REASONS WHY EACH TOP 8 TEAM CAN WIN THE FLAG

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed the stats that each top-eight team will be looking at as to why they can lift the premiership aloft this September.

In a game called, ‘Why not us?’, Hoyne went through the areas that each top eight team stands out in and how they’ll hope to play their footy in September to go all the way.

He went through each team based on their finals week one matchup.

Check out, ‘Why not us?’, here.

Port Adelaide v Geelong

2 – Port Adelaide

“It is simple. Clearance work. Clearance work. Clearance work,” Hoyne said on SEN Sportsday.

“They’re the number four for raw clearance numbers in the competition but no one turns clearances into a score more than Port Adelaide do.

“They’re inaccurate from clearance at times, but no one scores more … and from centre bounce, they’re number two from turning a centre clearance into a score. That’s their point of difference.”

3 - Geelong

“It’s exactly this aspect of the game why Geelong and their supporters will be thinking, ‘This is why we can win’.

“From a ground ball perspective once the ball leaves the area (they’re great). We know clearance is not their strength. But when the ball leaves the stoppage, that’s where Geelong goes to work.

“Only Hawthorn is a better post-clearance ground ball team than what Geelong are … and Port ranks 18th. This first game is easy to analyse. Get it to the outside and get the flankers involved and Geelong will be in it up to their eyeballs … they’re also number two on the deck inside 50, get the ball to ground.”

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn

6 – Western Bulldogs

“They’ve got the best profile in the game. They’re just starting from sixth.

“They do not have a weakness in their game at the moment. Offensively they’re brilliant and defensively they’re the hardest team to turn possession into a score against, we’ve never seen that from the Dogs.

“Turnover game – top three, clearance game – top three, ball movement offensively – top two, ball movement defensively – top two, territory game – number one.

“It’s a ridiculous profile.”

7 – Hawthorn

“They’re a bit like the Dogs, since Round 8 when they got on a roll.

“(In that time) their turnover game is top two, clearance game top two, ball movement is top six and in territory, they’re top five.

“If Jai Newcombe, James Worpel and Connor Nash … without Will Day, they have to absorb what’s coming from the Dogs’ midfield … if they can handle that and get clearance chains and the ball going forward, then you challenge Bailey Dale, Joel Freijah and Lachie Bramble with what you’ve got offensively in front of the ball with your brilliant small forwards.”

Sydney v GWS

1 – Sydney

“Offensively is their point of difference. There’s no better offence than what Sydney has produced in 2024.

“No one’s scored more than them and no one’s got a better forward 50 that’s working as well as Sydney’s is at the moment, and no one scores more off turnover … then they have the ability to transition and score the second most in the competition from the back half.

“They have pretty much every mode possible covered offensively.”

4 – GWS

“The reality is, for 70 per cent of their profile at the moment it’s okay without being rock solid.

“But why GWS can win is if you think back to Collingwood in 2022 … their profile wasn’t in great nick, they were coming from behind to win … but their pressure coming in was second in the comp.

“What pressure alone can do in a finals series is huge, it’s going to be so interesting for GWS because there’s no one that pressures the competition better than what GWS do.”

Brisbane v Carlton

5 – Brisbane

“They’ve got the second-best profile in the game behind the Dogs.

“They’re number one in terms of turning possession into a score – their inaccuracy component is why they don’t have the most points for.

“Along with the Dogs, they are the second hardest team in the comp to turn possession into score against. They have both sides of the ball down pat. They’re also the second-best clearance team in the competition and they get it into the scoreboard more often than not which we know has been a weakness of Carlton.”

8 – Carlton

“Carlton’s pressure this year is the third best of any team in the competition.

“180 is the is the AFL average for pressure rating, and in 20 of their 23 matches, Carlton has rated higher than 180 which is significant.

“But Brisbane has only been on the other side of a pressure rating of 180 or more 10 times this year. In those 10 games, they only have a 40 per cent win rate.

“If Carlton brings their pressure and have the rating above 180, it’ll give them a chance of beating Brisbane.

“But if they don’t do that, I think it's going to be a pretty bleak night.”

bornadog
04-09-2024, 10:24 PM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/09/04/why-not-us-champion-data-details-the-reasons-why-each-top-8-team-can-win-the/

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn

6 – Western Bulldogs

“They’ve got the best profile in the game. They’re just starting from sixth.

“They do not have a weakness in their game at the moment. Offensively they’re brilliant and defensively they’re the hardest team to turn possession into a score against, we’ve never seen that from the Dogs.

“Turnover game – top three, clearance game – top three, ball movement offensively – top two, ball movement defensively – top two, territory game – number one.

“It’s a ridiculous profile.”

.”

the best part

mjp
05-09-2024, 11:57 AM
the best part

LOL. No weakness eh?

You know that isn't true.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2024, 12:00 PM
LOL. No weakness eh?

You know that isn't true.

We have no weaknesses until we have them.

1eyedog
05-09-2024, 12:07 PM
Mental. There's stuff stats just won't capture. We've more often than not lacked the mental fortitude to turn things around when the whips start cracking.

We're still untrustworthy in this department, probably more than any other team in the eight, with the exception of Carlton.

We can change that by beating Hawthorn tomorrow night and if we do that, with a likely second final against the Cats, we'll have something to build on to ensure we give ourselves a chance to exorcise our 'Geelong' Demons once and for all.

Sedat
05-09-2024, 12:09 PM
Apparently every team that has won all prior Dogs v Hawks finals have gone on to make the GF in that year

ReLoad
05-09-2024, 12:15 PM
Apparently every team that has won all prior Dogs v Hawks finals have gone on to make the GF in that year

Id love to make another Granny. That week is just magical.

bornadog
05-09-2024, 12:50 PM
Id love to make another Granny. That week is just magical.

So much fun

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2024, 12:51 PM
Mental. There's stuff stats just won't capture. We've more often than not lacked the mental fortitude to turn things around when the whips start cracking.

We're still untrustworthy in this department, probably more than any other team in the eight, with the exception of Carlton.

We can change that by beating Hawthorn tomorrow night and if we do that, with a likely second final against the Cats, we'll have something to build on to ensure we give ourselves a chance to exorcise our 'Geelong' Demons once and for all.

For sure our biggest weakness is between the ears. Our last 2 finals games are proof of that. Let's hope we're over it.

comrade
05-09-2024, 12:53 PM
No weaknesses is a bit of a piss take. We stack up well statistically but unfortunately, games aren?t played on spreadsheets. I got caught up in all the models and hype prior to the Adelaide game. Never again.

bornadog
05-09-2024, 12:54 PM
No weaknesses is a bit of a piss take. We stack up well statistically but unfortunately, games aren?t played on spreadsheets. I got caught up in all the models and hype prior to the Adelaide game. Never again.

Maybe no weaknesses statistically, but as 1eyedog says, it is the mental aptitude - you have got to be on from the start.

GVGjr
05-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Early in the year comments that we had a good list were dismissed and some here assessed the list as average. We are far from the best list and have some gaps but we are in my view a top 5 list and given we are relatively fit that makes it a bigger problem for the opposition.
It all comes down to taking our chances.

Rocket Science
05-09-2024, 04:04 PM
Early in the year comments that we had a good list were dismissed and some here assessed the list as average.

In fairness, there's been a few developments over the course of the season many mightn't have had on their respective bingo cards.

Among them ...

- Richards rejuvenating the midfield mix.
- Treloar filing away a career year at 31 years old.
- Lobb more than serviceably plugging a glaring key defence role.
- Darcy going from a frail seven-gamer to somebody-stop-me in season three.
- West/Bramble/McNeil/Poulter/Vandermeer making themselves useful enough to halt the annual bottom-six selection merry go round.
- An 18 year old Freijah coolly stepping right in with minimal teething pain.

And some difficult, probably overdue calls at the selection table more generally.

Oh and our midfield plays some defence now.

It all comes down to taking our chances.

This is the kicker.

We've settled questions of capability, but can we atone in the moment ...

GVGjr
06-09-2024, 11:31 AM
In fairness, there's been a few developments over the course of the season many mightn't have had on their respective bingo cards.

Among them ...

- Richards rejuvenating the midfield mix.
- Treloar filing away a career year at 31 years old.
- Lobb more than serviceably plugging a glaring key defence role.
- Darcy going from a frail seven-gamer to somebody-stop-me in season three.
- West/Bramble/McNeil/Poulter/Vandermeer making themselves useful enough to halt the annual bottom-six selection merry go round.
- An 18 year old Freijah coolly stepping right in with minimal teething pain.

And some difficult, probably overdue calls at the selection table more generally.

Oh and our midfield plays some defence now.

This is the kicker.

We've settled questions of capability, but can we atone in the moment ...

I tend to think some of our supporters reject any sort of lofty expectations being placed on the club so talk the list down just a bit when we trying to explain our slow start.
We have had a solid AFL and VFL season so a top 5 list rating seems to be around the mark the mark to me.
The moves you have detailed have certainly helped but to me it endorses the notion that we had a very competitive list to start with.