PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 14 vs Fremantle 2024

GVGjr
14-06-2024, 03:41 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our R14 encounter against Fremantle.

westbulldog
15-06-2024, 05:51 PM
1. Rory Lobb's trade value went up considerably today.
2. Ed Richards is becoming a very good mid fielder.
3. Bob Murphy won't enjoy the flight back to W.A How sad !

westdog54
15-06-2024, 05:51 PM
1. Statement games don't come much better. Both for the club and for the big, gangly bloke in the number 7.
2. It's clear how much we missed Richards and Wightman.
3. Anyone who "just doesn't see it" with Bramble and Gallagher after today never will.

bornadog
15-06-2024, 08:45 PM
1. Statement games don't come much better. Both for the club and for the big, gangly bloke in the number 7.
3. Anyone who "just doesn't see it" with Bramble and Gallagher after today never will.

You realise Gags had 6 disposals today - not his best game

bornadog
15-06-2024, 08:48 PM
1. How fickle supporters are - Lobb chants going around the ground. Last week calling for his head

2. How important is ED in the middle

3. Congrats to West. I thought he would never make it, but through sheer persistence, he has turned out pretty good

westdog54
15-06-2024, 09:21 PM
You realise Gags had 6 disposals today - not his best game

5 of those 6 were score involvements and two were goals. Decent strike rate if you ask me.

angelopetraglia
15-06-2024, 10:00 PM
1. Our absolute best can match it with anyone in the competition

2. Weightman is so important to this team. I have no doubt Weightman playing also helped West get off the leash.

3. I didn?t think it was possible, but Bont surprised me again. He is even better than I thought. GOAT Bulldog.

Scorlibo
15-06-2024, 10:23 PM
5 of those 6 were score involvements and two were goals. Decent strike rate if you ask me.

His first goal came from a very sketchy HTB decision. Also had 3 clangers.

jDogs
15-06-2024, 11:44 PM
1. Richards is fast becoming my favourite player.
2. Dale's game will go under the radar because Bramble was also so good, but Dale was taking the game on like a champion and was cutting through them.
3. Gallagher having 6 touches, and half of them being clangers, does nothing to help me 'see it'. I'm perplexed by any calls that suggest he had anything but a poor game.

dog town
15-06-2024, 11:48 PM
3. Anyone who "just doesn't see it" with Bramble and Gallagher after today never will. Bramble who has filled an absolute critical need and despite a few errors has done it well shouldn’t be grouped with Gallagher.

Uninformed
16-06-2024, 12:20 AM
1. Our best is awesome
2. Our backline is held together with system, but a bit light on talent.
3. No midfield is better than Bont. Libba, Adz. and Red.

Dry Rot
16-06-2024, 02:05 AM
1. Weightman back makes West look better (take the better defender)

2. First time we have seen a combo of Bont, Ada, Libba and Ed in the midfield, works well

3. Two calls up forward seems to work better than 3.

jeemak
16-06-2024, 03:16 AM
Gallagher played a role, had a few bad moments, but managed to be relevant with two good goals.

A guy just exposed to senior footy shouldn't have this much angst attached to him.

Topdog
16-06-2024, 08:32 AM

How do you have 2 clangers that get registered as a score involvement? Possibly all 3 were?

bornadog
16-06-2024, 09:28 AM
How do you have 2 clangers that get registered as a score involvement? Possibly all 3 were?

Based on Footywire, he had 6 disposals - 2 goals, 1 Goal Assist and 3 turnovers

Dogs 24/7
16-06-2024, 09:55 AM
1. How many players who have played less than 50 games of senior football for our side rarely gets mentioned after a win but it's more important consideration after a loss.
2. It's been a while since I've seen such an even spread of goal kickers
3. Bailey Dale proves that players can be axed and bounce back with All Australian level form.

westdog54
16-06-2024, 10:25 AM
Based on Footywire, he had 6 disposals - 2 goals, 1 Goal Assist and 3 turnovers

The AFL site says he had 5 score involvements. I'll trust the AFL over Footywire.

EasternWest
16-06-2024, 10:47 AM
I'll trust the AFL.

This could be the first time these words have ever been put together.

Dills and the boys would be pleased.

westdog54
16-06-2024, 11:30 AM

Just watched the replay. That decision was anything but 'sketchy'. Ryan tried to side step a tackle and got caught.

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 11:46 AM
1. Our strategic plans have improved. Libba to Serong and Scott to Ryan worked wonders.

2. Ed and Macrae as forwards works. Bailey Smith needs to have a look at how these guys present outside their preferred roles.

3. Naughton isn't necessary forward for massive scores. If only there was somewhere else of need.

ledge
16-06-2024, 11:50 AM
1. Our strategic plans have improved. Libba to Serong and Scott to Ryan worked wonders.

2. Ed and Macrae as forwards works. Bailey Smith needs to have a look at how these guys present outside their preferred roles.

3. Naughton isn't necessary forward for massive scores. If only there was somewhere else of need.

Naughton had been playing further up the ground before he got injured allowing space for Darcy and Jamarra and it was working .

Mofra
16-06-2024, 11:53 AM
1. Macrae has reinvented himself into a very important role player

2. Bramble as a freebie is an inspired pick up. I don't understand the angst for a guy (presumably) on base salary, who cost no draft capital, playing a role (where we have no depth either)

3. Bailey Williams may be our barometer. When he plays well, we play well.

westdog54
16-06-2024, 11:53 AM
One I forgot about and was reminded of watching the replay:

4. Treloar should trust his left foot a bit more. He gives up vital seconds getting back on his right too often when he had some great wrong-side kicks yesterday.

EasternWest
16-06-2024, 12:04 PM
2. Bramble as a freebie is an inspired pick up. I don't understand the angst for a guy (presumably) on base salary, who cost no draft capital, playing a role (where we have no depth eitherl

I like him too and I find myself defending him quite a bit. I've come to the conclusion that we need to have a fringe/role player to direct our angst towards because it means we don't have to target our angst at our nearest and dearest.

I didn't see the whole game yesterday only a quarter or so but Bramble was excellent in that period. Even if he runs at 75% of that performance for the rest of the year I'd be happy.

Topdog
16-06-2024, 12:14 PM
The AFL site says he had 5 score involvements. I'll trust the AFL over Footywire.

Goal Assist and Score Involvement are very different things. Obviously if you score a goal you have an involvement in it. But I still fundamentally disagree that you can have a clanger or turnover and be credited with a score involvement.

mighty_west
16-06-2024, 12:29 PM
1 - Our best is good and some luck with injuries to key players who knows how far this year.

2 - You can't keep a good man down, Libba looked like a lost soul last week but was back from the opening bounce with a vengeance and played a great game.

3 - Lobb was great yesterday, but what happens in a few weeks when Darcy and Naughton are ready to come back with Lobb playing out of his skin? It's a good problem to have obviously but it might be an awkward problem too, would be so tough to omit Lobb after that performance and especially with everything going on with the pressures from inside the walls and outside noise about his output to date and not earning the right to hold his place, he did that this weekend and some, yet.......

Some may say hold Naughton back a week, but if Lobb fires again, then what?

3.1 - Bramble, can't believe we only re-signed him for 1 more season ;)

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 12:49 PM
Naughton had been playing further up the ground before he got injured allowing space for Darcy and Jamarra and it was working .
Who played that role yesterday? I think Lobb, but he is probably doing Darcy role. Hmmm.

Marra was pretty deep. Maybe Scott was used instead.

soupman
16-06-2024, 12:55 PM
Goal Assist and Score Involvement are very different things. Obviously if you score a goal you have an involvement in it. But I still fundamentally disagree that you can have a clanger or turnover and be credited with a score involvement.

I haven't reviewed the game so don't know if this applies, but I suspect a SI can come from not a possesion.

So for example if he tapped the ball to a team-mates advantage, or laid a tackle that dispossessed a player but not worthy of a free, or earnt a free kick but someone else took advantage, then he could potentially get a SI without having a "touch".

Much like you can have a CP but not a disposal, as a free is counted as a CP, but you don't necessarily get to take the disposal from the free.

Testekill
16-06-2024, 01:18 PM
Just watched the replay. That decision was anything but 'sketchy'. Ryan tried to side step a tackle and got caught.

He lost the ball in the tackle as well. I wouldn't be mad if one of our defenders tried to take on a defender and lost the ball the instant contact was made.

I mean I would be but I'd be madder at the player for being dumb

Scorlibo
16-06-2024, 01:36 PM

Both sources are correct.

Clanger = the opposition is given uncontested possession solely by the player's actions. Free against, kick/handball to uncontested opposition player. Two of Gallagher's three clangers were frees against, not related to disposals.

Turnover = your disposal ends with the opposition having possession, whether that be contested or uncontested. Not all turnovers are clangers.

No prior opportunity, and looks more like he steps into the tackle. The Brisbane forums would have been complaining about that one.

Gallagher played a role, had a few bad moments, but managed to be relevant with two good goals.

A guy just exposed to senior footy shouldn't have this much angst attached to him.

There is only any angst because he's played every game this year. If you're playing in the senior team you're going to be the subject of selection scrutiny, doesn't matter what age you are.

I'm a fan! Gags has a bright future, seems like a great kid and he has some real assets - how he drives his legs, his follow up, tackling and (I'm guessing) his defensive running patterns are elite. He was my favourite part of watching Footscray games last season.

I'm just not sure how his exposed performance justifies continued selection, especially when there's guys like Garcia in a similar role missing out.

azabob
16-06-2024, 03:11 PM

You love giving Smith a clip. Out of interest how was Macrae attitude last season and early this season when he was not in his preferred position?

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 03:24 PM
You love giving Smith a clip. Out of interest how was Macrae attitude last season and early this season when he was not in his preferred position?

Sooked?

I don't know, share if you do.

Bailey actually said he didn't handle it well it's not a clip that he would disagree with.

jeemak
16-06-2024, 11:13 PM
There is only any angst because he's played every game this year. If you're playing in the senior team you're going to be the subject of selection scrutiny, doesn't matter what age you are.

I'm a fan! Gags has a bright future, seems like a great kid and he has some real assets - how he drives his legs, his follow up, tackling and (I'm guessing) his defensive running patterns are elite. He was my favourite part of watching Footscray games last season.

I'm just not sure how his exposed performance justifies continued selection, especially when there's guys like Garcia in a similar role missing out.

I think where I'm coming from is that young and developing players in their first season of senior football are likely to get more leeway and opportunities if they are contributing, given how difficult a game of AFL is to cope with for most. I'm not stressed if he's omitted either, he's had a good run and plenty of exposure.

Just saying I don't get the angst either way.

ledge
17-06-2024, 12:00 AM
Is Bevo changing tact ? I thought he didn’t believe in tagging .
History repeating itself regarding Tony and Tom.

Scorlibo
17-06-2024, 01:08 AM
I think where I'm coming from is that young and developing players in their first season of senior football are likely to get more leeway and opportunities if they are contributing, given how difficult a game of AFL is to cope with for most. I'm not stressed if he's omitted either, he's had a good run and plenty of exposure.

Just saying I don't get the angst either way.

Fair enough. We all probably get a bit too worked up about selection generally. Still not sure if Bevo's playing 4D chess or silly buggers with selection but I'm guessing he'll be doing our heads in for a while yet. Something to talk about at least.

AshMac
17-06-2024, 08:01 AM
1. Lobb adds value as a team player - in the thick of it rather than off to the side uncontested
2. Bonts magic goal reminded me what I love about going to the footy. I felt like I was 7 years old again watching my heroes in that moment
3. I really don?t understand why they changed the ruck rule last year to be able to block a players run. Seems to have only favoured one type of ruckman and slowed the stoppages at a time they?re doing everything to speed the game up

westdog54
17-06-2024, 10:40 AM
Is Bevo changing tact ? I thought he didn’t believe in tagging .
History repeating itself regarding Tony and Tom.

I wouldn't even call Tom's game a 'tag'. He was just willing to put the work into Serong that Freo weren't willing to put into Bont.

hujsh
17-06-2024, 10:41 AM
1. Lobb adds value as a team player - in the thick of it rather than off to the side uncontested
2. Bonts magic goal reminded me what I love about going to the footy. I felt like I was 7 years old again watching my heroes in that moment
3. I really don?t understand why they changed the ruck rule last year to be able to block a players run. Seems to have only favoured one type of ruckman and slowed the stoppages at a time they?re doing everything to speed the game up
I think it's secretly not about 'speeding the game up'. That is more an expected result of what they actually want. The true goal is 'make it the 80s again please' and returning football to how they remember it being back when they were young and had their whole lives ahead of them

bornadog
17-06-2024, 12:33 PM
I think it's secretly not about 'speeding the game up'. That is more an expected result of what they actually want. The true goal is 'make it the 80s again please' and returning football to how they remember it being back when they were young and had their whole lives ahead of them

I have said that for years, but, you can never make the game what you think it should be through rule changes.

Since Prior Opportunity was brought around 1996/7 there have been almost 50 rule changes. Some of them minor, some to protect players (which are good), but the rest have CHANGED the game, not enhanced it. Worst period has been the Hocking rule changes - just pathetic.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2024, 08:29 PM
1) Lobb when he is on is an effective forward who should be playing a massive role in our team;

2) The Bont is in Brownlow form.......thought he was patchy earlier this season, but gee his last 6 games have been impressive

3) Ed Richards is our point of difference - the last 2 centre clearances of the game, his exiting the centre ball in hand and kicking it to our forwards was exactly what we have been crying out for - take not Bailey Smith!

Uninformed
17-06-2024, 10:52 PM
1) Lobb when he is on is an effective forward who should be playing a massive role in our team;

2) The Bont is in Brownlow form.......thought he was patchy earlier this season, but gee his last 6 games have been impressive

3) Ed Richards is our point of difference - the last 2 centre clearances of the game, his exiting the centre ball in hand and kicking it to our forwards was exactly what we have been crying out for - take not Bailey Smith!

Could we play Darcy back with Keath going down?

bornadog
17-06-2024, 11:29 PM
Could we play Darcy back with Keath going down?

Or we could try Lobb

Bullies
18-06-2024, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't even call Tom's game a 'tag'. He was just willing to put the work into Serong that Freo weren't willing to put into Bont. I think as Ed gets more mid time that Libba will go to the hard tag role. As an opponent could you imagine anything worse than having Tom come to you for a hard tag.

westdog54
18-06-2024, 11:03 AM
I think as Ed gets more mid time that Libba will go to the hard tag role. As an opponent could you imagine anything worse than having Tom come to you for a hard tag.

Having Libba as a hard tagger would be a net loss IMO. His ground-level ball hunting is insane.

ledge
18-06-2024, 11:07 AM
I think as Ed gets more mid time that Libba will go to the hard tag role. As an opponent could you imagine anything worse than having Tom come to you for a hard tag.

Yes .. his dad

Bullies
18-06-2024, 02:37 PM
Having Libba as a hard tagger would be a net loss IMO. His ground-level ball hunting is insane.
He will need to reinvent himself shortly as the game gets quicker and he gets a bit slower. He won't lose the art of hunting the ball but will be accountable a bit more.