PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 14, 2024 vs Fremantle

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-06-2024, 08:51 PM
This is the Round 14, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once today's game against Fremantle has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2024, 05:26 PM
B

Huge day in the scoreboard
Can’t recall the last time 5 players kicked 3+
Currently in the top 8

westbulldog
15-06-2024, 05:43 PM
Bankers
Bontempelli for his superb game. As an aside, in the midweek All Australian selectors telecast AFL's Laura Kane had the Bont on the bench :)
Tom Liberatore and Ed Richards, welcome back.
Adam Treloar, in season best form.

Anchors
Selectors picking Buku Khamis in the backline, as a defender he has no idea.
Vandermeer, I question what he actually brings to the team. 1 tackle and kicked 0.1 today.

EasternWest
15-06-2024, 05:51 PM
Bankers
Bontempelli for his superb game. As an aside, in the midweek All Australian selectors telecast AFL's Laura Kane had the Bont on the bench :)
Tom Liberatore and Ed Richards, welcome back.
Adam Treloar, in season best form.

Anchors
Selectors picking Buku Khamis in the backline, as a defender he has no idea.
Vandermeer, I question what he actually brings to the team. 1 tackle and kicked 0.1 today.

Sedat says he runs lots. I worry a bit about Sedat:).

Scorlibo
15-06-2024, 06:25 PM
Bankers

Saw that, what a joke. But the whole thing was so unserious, makes you question why anyone pays attention to AA selection. No Naughton in the 70 man squad is ridiculous.

Bankers

Five bags of 3+ goals - good to see a spread, and none of these guys stopped at just a tasting. Bontempelli going at nearly 2 goals a game this year has been a joy to watch.

Stoppage ascendancy - English, Bont, Treloar and Libba all put in big games. Richards joined in at the end, he's the fast exit midfielder we've been looking for. Can't remember where I heard this but our midfield this year the best in the league at converting opposition first possessions into clearances for us - that's quite the achievement given where our defensive stoppage game has been. Saw it a number of times today with Bont and Libba arresting Fremantle mids and usually Treloar left to pounce on the loose ball.

The doubter silencers - Bramble, English & Lobb. Credit where it's due, these guys had great games. Hope it's the spark and confidence they need to continue on in the back half of the year.

Anchors

HTB adjudication - all over the place for the second or third week running. Based on today the one part of the interpretation that was supposed to change hasn't, where players are given less time in the tackle to dispose of the ball. Meanwhile prior opportunity is sometimes 0 sometimes 2 seconds, and no one knows the difference between dropping the ball and it being knocked out.

Dwayne - barracking for Fremantle, and whoever happens to be playing against us, every time.

Caleb's dinky kick to Williams - his confidence must be at an all time low. We need to find a way to rejuvenate him.

bornadog
15-06-2024, 08:43 PM
Bankers

1. Ed Richards - we really missed him

2. Bont -the GOAT

3. The kick from Bramble in front of Dale, Dale runs on to it and all the way down the ground to set up a goal

Anchors

Zero

G-Mo77
15-06-2024, 08:55 PM
Anchors

HTB adjudication - all over the place for the second or third week running. Based on today the one part of the interpretation that was supposed to change hasn't, where players are given less time in the tackle to dispose of the ball. Meanwhile prior opportunity is sometimes 0 sometimes 2 seconds, and no one knows the difference between dropping the ball and it being knocked out.

The umpiring is at an all time low right now. I was actually pissing myself laughing when there was like 2 or 3 missed calls in our foward 50, I think it was the 2nd quarter.

Go_Dogs
15-06-2024, 09:38 PM
B:
Bont - incredible
Lobb - excellent response. Lobbed it.
Dale and Treloar - both must be in the AA mix

A:
HTB interpretation and general umpiring both ways but mainly against us

GVGjr
15-06-2024, 10:22 PM
Bankers

1 - The MC for bringing in both Richards and Weightman and both of them contributing in a big way. Allowing Bont to play when it might have been otherwise tempting to give him a week off before the bye and finally for sticking with Lobb and Bramble and running then into a bit of form.
You might say we had no one else to replace Lobb with but I saw the work Lade did with Lobb this week
and I think we we were working to a plan.

2 - Some very smart work by our mids and forwards with the way they set-up goals with accurate passes, blocks and set plays.
We also kicked accurately

3 - Our fitness team. We are banged up a bit, got a few injuries, had a good lead and a bye in front of us and yet we outscored and outrun Fremantle in the last quarter when in times gone by we would have just etched out a 2 or 3 goal win.

Anchors
22k fans went to the game and perhaps some have lost a bit of faith. That's something for the club to work on.

chef
15-06-2024, 10:38 PM
Anchors
22k fans went to the game and perhaps some have lost a bit of faith. That's something for the club to work on.

Really embarrassing turn out, would have been under 20k dogs fans there. So much for the record membership.

Grantysghost
15-06-2024, 10:40 PM
Really embarrassing turn out, would have been under 20k dogs fans there. So much for the record membership.
Yep was shit house.

My neice brought 5 of her friends as they get 15 buck tickets.

Not sure why dogs fans dont turn up. Maybe we only have 20k who actually go?

GVGjr
15-06-2024, 10:41 PM

I don't like the way we calculate memberships. I don't think we are growing the membership base like the club is portraying.

Grantysghost
15-06-2024, 10:44 PM
I don't like the way we calculate memberships. I don't think we are growing the membership base like the club is portraying.
Agree G. Inflated rubbish. You can get 3 games for 33 bucks atm. How that counts as 1 member is beyond me.

GVGjr
15-06-2024, 10:51 PM
Agree G. Inflated rubbish. You can get 3 games for 33 bucks atm. How that counts as 1 member is beyond me.
We need to see the total number of games our supporters have purchased each year and what that equates to in dollars. We could measure that year on year. We are heavily discounting memberships at the moment which get us home in our aspirations for 60k but does it actually mean we are growing the club in a sustainable fashion,?

whythelongface
15-06-2024, 11:07 PM

All clubs do that - ie have smaller game deals that are more affordable for some people. I don’t see anything wrong with it. In fact I think it makes going to the footy more equitable rather than being elite that only those with more disposable income can afford.

Grantysghost
15-06-2024, 11:16 PM
All clubs do that - ie have smaller game deals that are more affordable for some people. I don’t see anything wrong with it. In fact I think it makes going to the footy more equitable rather than being elite that only those with more disposable income can afford.

Im fine with the deal absolutely. Awesome for peeps. My point in this discussion is that it shouldn't equal 1 membership in the tally.

GVGjr
15-06-2024, 11:45 PM
All clubs do that - ie have smaller game deals that are more affordable for some people. I don?t see anything wrong with it. In fact I think it makes going to the footy more equitable rather than being elite that only those with more disposable income can afford.

That's probably correct but our attendances at games doesn't appear to be growing that much if at all. Cost of living, poor slots and a few other reasons might all factor into but we are somehow growing the membership with Kayo packages, AFLW and some heavily discounted tickets all thrown into the mix but it appears to be a bit of a false economy with actual crowd attendances.

GVGjr
15-06-2024, 11:47 PM
Im fine with the deal absolutely. Awesome for peeps. My point in this discussion is that it shouldn't equal 1 membership in the tally.

Agree with that. I;d love to see it broken down in buckets

Dry Rot
16-06-2024, 02:14 AM
B

Bramble, credit where credit is due, ditto Lobb
Like to see more of Bont up forward
FJ continuing to look competent and looking like he belongs

A

I don't get selecting Daniel these days
Buku does not belong in the back line, so I don't know where he fits
We still don't seem to have a strategy to stop other teams run of goals

whythelongface
16-06-2024, 07:59 AM

Fair point. Wonder what the percentage is in comparison to full memberships. Where do you draw the line? I have an interstate membership including social club and get to maybe a couple of games (at most) due to time, cost and the tyranny of distance. Should this membership not be included in the tally. Just a question - I am not sure where you draw the line. There would be an AFL policy in regards to this that all clubs follow.

But yep agree a disappointing crowd nonetheless- lots of stuff on Saturday afternoon these days (nonetheless disappointing). I note that Freo played the Tigers earlier this year with a crowd of 32k and against the Saints 19k. But we need to do better than this.

ledge
16-06-2024, 09:31 AM
Fair point. Wonder what the percentage is in comparison to full memberships. Where do you draw the line? I have an interstate membership including social club and get to maybe a couple of games (at most) due to time, cost and the tyranny of distance. Should this membership not be included in the tally. Just a question - I am not sure where you draw the line. There would be an AFL policy in regards to this that all clubs follow.

But yep agree a disappointing crowd nonetheless- lots of stuff on Saturday afternoon these days (nonetheless disappointing). I note that Freo played the Tigers earlier this year with a crowd of 32k and against the Saints 19k. But we need to do better than this.
If you sign up for whatever games it’s membership . Any club an even an RSL whatever it doesn’t matter how many times you drop in for a beer you have signed and paid a fee thus your a member.
For an accurate account of money made by membership well that’s just looking at the $ amount which you see in the Annual report.
As far as turning up to games well I think a few factors and it’s not cost of living as we have 58k members who would get in free .
Time of day , lots of local footy on a Saturday arvo , 2 it’s bloody cold 3 sit at home and watch it on tv , Kayo , Foxtel are a huge reason crowds are probably half what they would be.
4 playing an interstate team pretty much guarantees your missing a decent chunk of even supporters
5 the Dustin Martin effect would have pushed away any neutral supporters to that game. 6 how many members thought we would get smacked and didn’t want to see it ? Most I would say.
We are Jekyll and Hyde.

bornadog
16-06-2024, 09:37 AM
I wonder how many people have multiple memberships? I have membership with seating at Marvel, plus an AFL membership with club support, so that is counted as two memberships for one person.

Dogs 24/7
16-06-2024, 09:49 AM
I wonder how many people have multiple memberships? I have membership with seating at Marvel, plus an AFL membership with club support, so that is counted as two memberships for one person.

And some of them are also buying the discount memberships as a way of helping the club
If you are a 11 game member who uses Kayo through the club and also buys an AFLW membership and the 3 game discount option you are still only one member who happens to take multiple options. I wonder if the Ballarat membership factors in as well.

The AFL sanctions this calculation because it sounds like we have a substantially bigger code than the NRL

bornadog
16-06-2024, 10:20 AM
And some of them are also buying the discount memberships as a way of helping the club
If you are a 11 game member who uses Kayo through the club and also buys an AFLW membership and the 3 game discount option you are still only one member who happens to take multiple options. I wonder if the Ballarat membership factors in as well.

The AFL sanctions this calculation because it sounds like we have a substantially bigger code than the NRL

I also have the AFLW membership. So are you saying I am counted as 1 member - which is how it should be.

Dogs 24/7
16-06-2024, 10:40 AM
I also have the AFLW membership. So are you saying I am counted as 1 member - which is how it should be.

I don't know but I guess you are counted as at least 2 members not 1 member with multiple options.

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 11:29 AM

Yes i did this for my Niece.

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 11:30 AM
I don't know but I guess you are counted as at least 2 members not 1 member with multiple options.
Yes 2. It needs to be unique persons imo.

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 11:38 AM

Yes i guess that's the hard part how do you count it as a fraction of a membership and be inclusive.

The interstate one i'd count, but it makes me wonder what I wouldn't!

I guess as G is saying the requirement is growing the supporter base not ticking a misleading metric kpi for the executive. Hopefully the former is considered more important.

jazzadogs
16-06-2024, 12:26 PM
The numbers are all nonsense and have been for a while. We sell discounted memberships and record aflw/pet/3 game memberships because that's what the teams with 100,000 'members' do and if we didn't do that we would look even further behind.

Membership revenue would be the best way to judge club against club.

Sedat
16-06-2024, 01:55 PM
I would have been there with bells on yesterday, but alas I copped the Fauci Flu 24 hours earlier.

Bankers: gee it was a strong performance from us, barring 2 small patches where we switched off defensively and allowed slick transition and their leg speed to impact. Very smart ball use inside F50 that really messed with Freo's defensive zoning - we rendered Pearce and Ryan completely impotent.

Anchors: Buku cannot defend. He just doesn't have the smarts to position himself in the right spots. He doesn't know when to go and zone off to suport, and when to stay on his direct opponent. He's slow, not particularly tall and not an elite user of the ball. I'm not exactly sure why he is in the team other than being the only healthy option we have as key defensive cover outside of unproven kids.

Scorlibo
16-06-2024, 02:19 PM
To me this has been a fascinating season of transition so far, and plenty of reason to go watch the games, and I'm lucky in that I live inner city, no kids, it's easy to get there and get out. But I get the sense there's increasing disillusionment amongst our fan base. For most the idea of once again being a middle of the table side under Bevo is a bit stale, even if we're actually playing better than our record suggests. It will take results to get people back to the footy, as is always the case.

An added factor is two Thursday night games and a Sunday evening game amongst our Melbourne games so far. I like Gerard Whateley but the charge he has led for Thursday night football I find so self-feeling. Of course the media personalities would prefer that the football be extended over the week, but ask any young family and it's a near impossible task to get to these games. Plus it creates fixture inequity. Plus plus it just feels wrong - Friday night footy heralds the arrival of the weekend, stop messing with my footy-life clock. Anyway if you have a few of these bad time slots people just get out of the habit of going I reckon.

One factor that's within the Club's control would be to improve our fan engagement at the games, and the no-brainer approach is to get a SONG going. I am jealous as all hell of Port Adelaide and Brisbane getting to belt out their adopted ballads. We'd need to take a different angle - Port have pre-game, Brisbane have when Charlie kicks a snag, could our moment be when we've kicked 3 goals in a row?

'Have you Ever Seen the Rain?' could be a good candidate, tying in with the 2016 breaking of the drought, and how long we waited for that glorious rain on a sunny day.

hujsh
16-06-2024, 05:37 PM
To me this has been a fascinating season of transition so far, and plenty of reason to go watch the games, and I'm lucky in that I live inner city, no kids, it's easy to get there and get out. But I get the sense there's increasing disillusionment amongst our fan base. For most the idea of once again being a middle of the table side under Bevo is a bit stale, even if we're actually playing better than our record suggests. It will take results to get people back to the footy, as is always the case.

An added factor is two Thursday night games and a Sunday evening game amongst our Melbourne games so far. I like Gerard Whateley but the charge he has led for Thursday night football I find so self-feeling. Of course the media personalities would prefer that the football be extended over the week, but ask any young family and it's a near impossible task to get to these games. Plus it creates fixture inequity. Plus plus it just feels wrong - Friday night footy heralds the arrival of the weekend, stop messing with my footy-life clock. Anyway if you have a few of these bad time slots people just get out of the habit of going I reckon.

One factor that's within the Club's control would be to improve our fan engagement at the games, and the no-brainer approach is to get a SONG going. I am jealous as all hell of Port Adelaide and Brisbane getting to belt out their adopted ballads. We'd need to take a different angle - Port have pre-game, Brisbane have when Charlie kicks a snag, could our moment be when we've kicked 3 goals in a row?

'Have you Ever Seen the Rain?' could be a good candidate, tying in with the 2016 breaking of the drought, and how long we waited for that glorious rain on a sunny day.
It'd be cool if there were some kind of bulldog specific song we could associate with good times. Like a premiership year. Maybe about us taking over? Nah we'd be stupid not to be using something like that already

Happy Days
16-06-2024, 09:09 PM
It'd be cool if there were some kind of bulldog specific song we could associate with good times. Like a premiership year. Maybe about us taking over? Nah we'd be stupid not to be using something like that already

I swear to god I will bring that song back or die trying

Grantysghost
16-06-2024, 09:51 PM
I swear to god I will bring that song back or die trying

Ameet Bains has entered the chat.

AshMac
17-06-2024, 08:05 AM

Find this surprising this week. I?ve been very critical of him over the year but thought he was very good on Saturday. His run and pressure through the ground was high and he found enough of the ball at the right moments to keep the ball moving.

Does look like he is an ?almost? player though - so many times the ball just bounces wrong or he turns the same was as the defender.

AshMac
17-06-2024, 08:09 AM
Bankers

Bont. The king of the west
Ed Richards kick to Rory Lobb in the final minute
Watching 2 back to back centre clearances>goal (even if it was the last 3 mins)
Lobb doing the team things and having an impact

Anchors

1.45 Saturday time slot - just a horrible time
The chip kicking around the defensive 50 and skill errors
The easy goals from turnovers and info Stef freo marking inside 50 in the first quarter

Ozza
17-06-2024, 03:05 PM
Bankers:

Bont obviously. What a privilege it is for us to all see him play each week.
Dale - how was he ever out of the side? Dominant again. Second quarter when the game was up for grabs he was superb rebounding off half back....9 kicks and 4 handballs for the quarter and changed the game.
Jamarra - he's been getting some very good experienced defenders as the main man for weeks - and is always getting his shots on goal. Keep in mind how often Naughton hasn't been able to fire a shot vs the absolute best, Marra as a young player always gets his handful of shots. His field kicking to set up chances was good too.

Anchors:

Freijah - young player I know - but had 3 involvements in Freo's 4 goal surge in the first quarter.
Gallagher - I like him and he's going to be good for us - but may be ready for a spell. Not sure how he is ahead of Garcia.
I was interstate for the weekend - but a bit annoying to not get any post match stuff - just straight to Hawks/Tigers and didn't wrap things up at our game!!

jazzadogs
17-06-2024, 06:47 PM
Bankers:

Bont obviously. What a privilege it is for us to all see him play each week.
Dale - how was he ever out of the side? Dominant again. Second quarter when the game was up for grabs he was superb rebounding off half back....9 kicks and 4 handballs for the quarter and changed the game.
Jamarra - he's been getting some very good experienced defenders as the main man for weeks - and is always getting his shots on goal. Keep in mind how often Naughton hasn't been able to fire a shot vs the absolute best, Marra as a young player always gets his handful of shots. His field kicking to set up chances was good too.

Anchors:

Freijah - young player I know - but had 3 involvements in Freo's 4 goal surge in the first quarter.
Gallagher - I like him and he's going to be good for us - but may be ready for a spell. Not sure how he is ahead of Garcia.
I was interstate for the weekend - but a bit annoying to not get any post match stuff - just straight to Hawks/Tigers and didn't wrap things up at our game!!

I was playing footy so couldn't attend/watch live, and was pissed off when it cut straight away! I was looking forward to seeing some of the highlights and analysis of just how we had destroyed them so completely.