PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog TOTC: New Captain?

bulldogtragic
16-06-2024, 08:30 PM
Calling all those in particular who?ve seen all three play.

Currently Captain is Bob. 41 Games as Club Captain. Including in the premiership year of 2016. Saved the club from the abyss.

Current VC is Chris Grant. 67 Games as Club Captain. Gun, tough, heroic, a true leader.

Jazza has nominated the 5 X BF, 5 x AA and Premiership Player with over 100 games as captain including in a Grand Final. Marcus Bontempelli. Who is the fifth most capped club captain in our history.

So, if you please, give the WOOF TOTC its captain and vice captain please. Someone has to miss, no DVC. Short reasons for why would be appreciated. The consensus view will prevail. He’s 59-44 on wins-losses since taking over (not including his stand in games earlier in his career).

jazzadogs
16-06-2024, 09:52 PM
Bont captain, Bob vice captain.

Bont is a great player, but also an outstanding leader. As well as his work on field he presents the club professionally off field. He has led us to a grand final where he was BOG after 70% of game time, and also captained the side for a game or two in 2016 en route to the flag.

He has not captained as many games as Brad Johnson in the 2000s, but given he's not in this discussion I think he is statistically a better captain than Murph and Grant.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2024, 09:56 PM
Bont captain, Bob vice captain.

Bont is a great player, but also an outstanding leader. As well as his work on field he presents the club professionally off field. He has led us to a grand final where he was BOG after 70% of game time, and also captained the side for a game or two in 2016 en route to the flag.

He has not captained as many games as Brad Johnson in the 2000s, but given he's not in this discussion I think he is statistically a better captain than Murph and Grant.

I was Bob & Granty as the team developed.

But happy to agree to change to Bont & Bob for the reasons outlined above. It’s a tough gig with Johno not in the frame and relegating Grant down to a gun player with the VC. But I think Bont has grown into the title and will only strengthen his claim to it and Bob got the club off its knees after Shocktober and is a deserving VC.

1eyedog
16-06-2024, 10:17 PM
There will only ever be one Bontempelli and we need him at the top of everything we do as a footy club.

Bont for captain. Bob for vice captain.

You know Bob would agree.

Scorlibo
16-06-2024, 10:29 PM
My vote is with Bob for Captain.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the 2016 flag is the most remarkable flag the league has seen, for multiple reasons, but not least of which what happened at the end of 2014. The Club was a laughing stock, devoid of direction and leadership. Somehow out of that mess three men - Gordon, Beveridge and Murphy - guided the Club to the ultimate success two years later.

Bob with his footy mythology, humour and sensitivity was the perfect captain at this time and the perfect compliment to Bevo. It might sound harsh on Bont's prospects but there's actually no place he could lead the side that would eclipse (in my eyes) the leadership that Bob gave the club at that critical time. No amount of games captained, personal accolades or even flags will change my mind.

Bont to VC though, he's got Granty covered.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 12:21 AM

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the 2016 flag is the most remarkable flag the league has seen, for multiple reasons, but not least of which what happened at the end of 2014. The Club was a laughing stock, devoid of direction and leadership. Somehow out of that mess three men - Gordon, Beveridge and Murphy - guided the Club to the ultimate success two years later.

Bob with his footy mythology, humour and sensitivity was the perfect captain at this time and the perfect compliment to Bevo. It might sound harsh on Bont's prospects but there's actually no place he could lead the side that would eclipse (in my eyes) the leadership that Bob gave the club at that critical time. No amount of games captained, personal accolades or even flags will change my mind.

Throw you a curve ball... Where does Easton fit in? He played a massive part clearly.

Scorlibo
17-06-2024, 12:59 AM
Throw you a curve ball... Where does Easton fit in? He played a massive part clearly.

Definitely. Huge amount of respect for Easton and his leadership in 2016. Wouldn't be bothered at all if we just agreed to give Murphy (C), Wood (VC) and make some kind of pact with future (younger) members that this pairing can never be changed.

I give Bob more credit for his leadership probably because I see 2015 in retrospect as the year where leadership meant more than ever before, where it all turned around under his watch, and the new culture emerging gave us a shot at success.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2024, 08:00 AM

There was original discussion/debate over C/VC. Bob/Grant won the day from WOOF. Once someone is out of the team or a role that’s it for a consensus based team. Johnno equally has claims. But we’d forever be going in circles to re-open settled consensus decisions. So it’s keep Bob/Grant or insert Bont in somewhere or not.

Your thoughts on the question at hand?

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 08:11 AM
Definitely. Huge amount of respect for Easton and his leadership in 2016. Wouldn't be bothered at all if we just agreed to give Murphy (C), Wood (VC) and make some kind of pact with future (younger) members that this pairing can never be changed.

I give Bob more credit for his leadership probably because I see 2015 in retrospect as the year where leadership meant more than ever before, where it all turned around under his watch, and the new culture emerging gave us a shot at success.

Makes a lot of sense, i think back to that swans win and the joy from Bob. Was a real water shed game.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 08:17 AM
There was original discussion/debate over C/VC. Bob/Grant won the day from WOOF. Once someone is out of the team or a role that’s it for a consensus based team. Johnno equally has claims. But we’d forever be going in circles to re-open settled consensus decisions. So it’s keep Bob/Grant or insert Bont in somewhere or not.

Your thoughts on the question at hand?
I can't ever go past Grant. He is still the best player I've seen at the Dogs and incredible leader by example. I think Bont has moved into second going past Hawk then Bob and Johnno for the top 5.

So, i'd have Chris Grant as captain with Bont as VC. I love Bob but i dont have him at the same level as those two. I mean Grant really should be a premiership player and Brownlow medallist in the same year. (the year that can't be mentioned) after rejecting port. He was the Bulldogs for many years and a brilliant leader in every way.

I feel like I'm disrespecting EJ and Charlie because i never saw them. Scott Wynd was a great captain too.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2024, 08:27 AM
I can't ever go past Grant. He is still the best player I've seen at the Dogs and incredible leader by example. I think Bont has moved into second going past Hawk then Bob and Johnno for the top 5.

So, i'd have Chris Grant as captain with Bont as VC. I love Bob but i dont have him at the same level as those two. I mean Grant really should be a premiership player and Brownlow medallist in the same year. (the year that can't be mentioned) after rejecting port. He was the Bulldogs for many years and a brilliant leader in every way.

I feel like I'm disrespecting EJ and Charlie because i never saw them. Scott Wynd was a great captain too.

Most of them didn’t captain this century… :D

So Grant/Bont.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 08:31 AM
Most of them didn’t captain this century… :D

So Grant/Bont.
Oh ha...! Yes what you said

bulldogtragic
17-06-2024, 08:47 AM
Tally Board:

Bont/Bob: 3
Bob/Bont: 1
Grant/Bont: 1

EasternWest
17-06-2024, 08:59 AM
Bont is the greatest Bulldog ever and making him captain is a no brainer.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 09:05 AM
Bont is the greatest Bulldog ever and making him captain is a no brainer.
But was he pick 100 who kicked 50 goals as a 17 year old playing the hardest position known to man.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExanBub3I4c2RxYmsyenVlN2JtZ29zM2c2d2VnMjZrd jZlOW9kcWcwdCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/uUTvpD5cTmcsUjfxwc/giphy.gif

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2024, 09:18 AM
Bont to Captain, Bob VC.

Bont has proven himself as a player, and again as a player whilst also being leader. His performances have only grown since he took on the captaincy.
I think given his longevity in the role and his career, enough evidence has established everything we need to know about Bont's place in the echelon of Bulldog leaders.

comrade
17-06-2024, 09:44 AM
Bont as captain is a lock. Bob as VC

hujsh
17-06-2024, 10:44 AM
Bont will inevitably move into the captain role as he'll remain in the team longer than Murphy. If they're both in the team I'd give it to Murphy

bulldogtragic
17-06-2024, 10:45 AM
Tally Board:

Bont/Bob: 6
Bob/Bont: 2
Grant/Bont: 1

Scorlibo
17-06-2024, 10:49 AM
Looks like I'm outnumbered.

Can we at least forge a new 'off field spiritual leader' role and instate Bob for time in memoriam? ;)

soupman
17-06-2024, 10:52 AM
Bont Bob.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 10:56 AM
You guys disrespecting my man and AFL hall of famer Chris G !

I get it, Bont is something else.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 11:04 AM
Games

Player/s

Ted Whitten Snr

Scott Wynd

Arthur Olliver

Brad Johnson

112*
Marcus Bontempelli

Doug Hawkins

Gary Dempsey

Chris Grant

Charles Sutton

Norm Ware
Matthew Boyd

Laurie Sandilands

Easton Wood

*games as captain as of rd 14 2024.

EasternWest
17-06-2024, 01:11 PM
But was he pick 100 who kicked 50 goals as a 17 year old playing the hardest position known to man.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExanBub3I4c2RxYmsyenVlN2JtZ29zM2c2d2VnMjZrd jZlOW9kcWcwdCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/uUTvpD5cTmcsUjfxwc/giphy.gif

I love Chris Grant but Bont was just about best on ground in a premiership performance, and just about best on ground in a Grand Final that didn't happen.

Bont led us to the promised land, and while he's playing I'll always believe he can take us there again. He is him.

Edit: watching the replay and Brad Johnson says Bont is the greatest Bulldog ever. That's good enough for me.

jazzadogs
17-06-2024, 01:39 PM
You guys disrespecting my man and AFL hall of famer Chris G !

I get it, Bont is something else.

I think it's sticking with the objective of the team, which is best team from 2000 onwards. Grant only played until 2007, approx 100 games, during that period.

I definitely see the arguments for both him and Bob. It's Scorlibo's argument of the leadership given to the team by Bob in 2015/16 is greater than Grants in 2000-2007, and I feel like Bont's leadership since the moment he stepped through the door (he was in the leadership group in 2016 as a 20 year old!!!) has surpassed Bob.

I don't think I'm under selling Bob and Bevo by saying that having a generational young leader of Bont in 2015-6 was also a key reason the club got back on track.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 01:40 PM
I think it's sticking with the objective of the team, which is best team from 2000 onwards. Grant only played until 2007, approx 100 games, during that period.

I definitely see the arguments for both him and Bob. It's Scorlibo's argument of the leadership given to the team by Bob in 2015/16 is greater than Grants in 2000-2007, and I feel like Bont's leadership since the moment he stepped through the door (he was in the leadership group in 2016 as a 20 year old!!!) has surpassed Bob.

I don't think I'm under selling Bob and Bevo by saying that having a generational young leader of Bont in 2015-6 was also a key reason the club got back on track.

Yes well said.

I hate shooting Bambi, but Easton did a lot of the heavy lifting in 2016 and actually played more games as captain.

2016 was co captains.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 01:43 PM
I love Chris Grant but Bont was just about best on ground in a premiership performance, and just about best on ground in a Grand Final that didn't happen.

Bont led us to the promised land, and while he's playing I'll always believe he can take us there again. He is him.

Edit: watching the replay and Brad Johnson says Bont is the greatest Bulldog ever. That's good enough for me.

Hard to argue against Bont, so I'm dead in the water.

SquirrelGrip
17-06-2024, 03:26 PM
Bont (C)
Grant (VC)
Johnno (DVC)

Leadership group: Bob, Libba

Mofra
17-06-2024, 03:52 PM
C: Bont
VC: Grant

I honestly don't think we survive in our current form if Grant takes the Port Adelaide monster offer at the end of 1996. It was as big a player signing-on as we've ever had.

jazzadogs
17-06-2024, 06:51 PM
C: Bont
VC: Grant

I honestly don't think we survive in our current form if Grant takes the Port Adelaide monster offer at the end of 1996. It was as big a player signing-on as we've ever had.

Pre 2000 though...it's very hard to separate a player who went across the two centuries like Grant did, but I think his 2000-2007 is less than Bob's input over his whole career (and particularly 2015/16).

1eyedog
20-06-2024, 04:42 PM

Bob didn't even Captain though, Wood did.

westbulldog
21-06-2024, 03:31 PM
Bontempelli and Grant have never left the club...