PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Eagles

GVGjr
26-04-2008, 10:23 AM
This is the discussion thread for tonights game.

I'll go with Welsh for the first goal.

Dogs by 26 points although I am hearing that the Eagles are very confident for tonights game.

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2008, 10:40 AM
First goal Griffen, dogs by 19 points

1eyedog
26-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes they are confident, especially on the Flying High website. Great idea to provide links to those forums GVGjr, I thoroughly enjoy reading other supporters philosophies on their team and got some laughs out of how much the Eagles think they are going to beat us by tonight. The website is saying Lynch will have a big one (he's done nothing so far this season and is on the fulcrum point of being dropped). Let's keep him goalless Blakey. Eagles fans are particularly concerned with our mids though and well they should because they look slow through the middle in comparison. They are also hoping Johnno doesn't play and are actually tipping the balance into their favour if that turns out to be the case. None of them seem to be aware of the impact the addition of West will make. The way Johnno has only been firing on 4 of his 8 cylinders the last 4 weeks West's inclusion looms as far more dangerous proposition for the Weagles, he will get his hands on the ball and feed our mids. With West back Dogs by anything between 27-60 points. I have looked into the crystal ball and saw Bob kick the first goal.

LostDoggy
26-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Will 1st goal, dogs by 23.

LostDoggy
26-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Cooney first goal, dogs by 13.

Sockeye Salmon
26-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes they are confident, especially on the Flying High website. Great idea to provide links to those forums GVGjr, I thoroughly enjoy reading other supporters philosophies on their team and got some laughs out of how much the Eagles think they are going to beat us by tonight. The website is saying Lynch will have a big one (he's done nothing so far this season and is on the fulcrum point of being dropped). Let's keep him goalless Blakey. Eagles fans are particularly concerned with our mids though and well they should because they look slow through the middle in comparison. They are also hoping Johnno doesn't play and are actually tipping the balance into their favour if that turns out to be the case. None of them seem to be aware of the impact the addition of West will make. The way Johnno has only been firing on 4 of his 8 cylinders the last 4 weeks West's inclusion looms as far more dangerous proposition for the Weagles, he will get his hands on the ball and feed our mids. With West back Dogs by anything between 27-60 points. I have looked into the crystal ball and saw Bob kick the first goal.

People have been underrating West for 15 years and continually bites them on the bum.

Rocket Science
26-04-2008, 11:46 AM
The Eagles will come to play...Forget the ladder, this is another stern test, and one we should be relishing to get back on track.

We owe them.

Scrays by 17, with Giansiracusa potting our first major.

wimberga
26-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Im going with Dogs by 13 points and Hahn for the first goal.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Dogs by 25, Johnno first goal.

I hope some of you going tonight can fill in some of the blanks for me after the game as I'll be streaming the radio version.

LostDoggy
26-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Dogs by 37 points.

Hill coming off the bench, for the first goal.

bornadog
26-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Eagle first goal,

Dogs by 10 points

hujsh
26-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Dogs 19 points

Johhno to goal (if withdrawn late then Welsh)

BulldogBelle
26-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Gia to get the first goal and Dogs to win by 21 points.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Dogs by 29.

Kerr's dangerous; plays really well at The Dome.

First goal to Hahn.

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2008, 03:34 PM
People have been underrating West for 15 years and continually bites them on the bum.

Interesting that todays Herald Sun article on player sledging has Robert Harvey getting after West last year telling him he was overrated and selfish

West may not have the silky skills of Chris Grant but hes been the most consistent and determined footballer I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

I personally rate him above Kouta, Buckley and Riccuito

1eyedog
26-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I

Me too, always have.

MikeSheahan
26-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Eagles were too slow last week, and I expect them to come out hard tonight. Beware the wounded Eagle, but having said that, Bulldogs by 24 points, in a tight, tough match. Hopefully plenty of Bulldog supporters at the Dome tonight to loudly cheer their heroes on to victory.

craigsahibee
26-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Kouta's not worthy enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Westy

Sockeye Salmon
26-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Interesting that todays Herald Sun article on player sledging has Robert Harvey getting after West last year telling him he was overrated and selfish

West may not have the silky skills of Chris Grant but hes been the most consistent and determined footballer I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

Kouta's best was better than all of them, however we only ever saw it 4 times.

I always rated Buckley and Riccuito above Hird.

Grant, West and Johnson have been under-rated their entire careers because they play(ed) for the wrong club.

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Kouta's best was better than all of them, however we only ever saw it 4 times.

I always rated Buckley and Riccuito above Hird.

Grant, West and Johnson have been under-rated their entire careers because they play(ed) for the wrong club.

That was similar to my criticism of Kouta, his lows were far too low for a supposed superstar. I remember Parkin sending him back to centre half back so that he could figure out how to play again.

I think I rate Hird above Buckley, not sure where I put Riccuito in that mix but I definitely rate West higher than Buckley - clearly not as good a kick but far better at winning his own ball. Wests great strength has been his ability to produce at very high levels for a very long time.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Cooney first goal - sounds like a good one.

fish
26-04-2008, 08:51 PM
1st quarter sounded good,
However ... start of the 2nd quarter has been a few mistakes and suddenly two quick goals to the eagles - hope that they can hold their nerve during the next 5-10mins ...

fish
26-04-2008, 09:00 PM
game seems to have slowed down a bit.
Very little from Johnson or Welsh (wonder if Johnno really should have been rested??), and Guido seems very quiet.

Murph and Hahn doing very well by the sounds of it.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Seems as though we're being smashed in the contested possession. Lucky Welsh goal was needed.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Thank you Cooney.

Rocket Science
26-04-2008, 09:18 PM
doing the tv thing this week.

lord, give me the strength to endure another 3 quarters of Malcolm Blight.

Dogs dominating the inside 50's, could very easily have been another couple up at quarter time...Hahn, Murph, Aker all busy early.

Daniel Kerr might have booked himself a holiday after headbutting Westy 30 metre behind the play...Didn't look good but one suspects Westy milked it a little.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2008, 09:34 PM
You best ignore my posts RS - don't want to ruin your delayed experience!

Dry Rot
26-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Was Minson reported? If so, what for?

LostDoggy
26-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Not sure, i don't think they have any footage of the incident. No footage= no evidence?
Will it be further investigated?

Three quarter time.... i'm liking this. And going with our last quarter streak, im hoping for a nice WC thumping!

Go_Dogs
26-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Some sort of contact on Cox. From what I could gather Cox had to go off and was vomiting.

All over a pleasing win. Shame we didn't completely punish them, but we did enough and our third quarter seemed to be very good.

Pleasing that Murph and Aker could both get amongst the goals too.

Dry Rot
26-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks

Replay starts in 30 minutes time up here.....

LostDoggy
26-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Wasted opportunities and stuffed around with the ball in our F50, but pleasing, overall.
Nice to have a big win!

1eyedog
26-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks

Replay starts in 30 minutes time up here.....

Whatcha doing looking at this thread then, what else you expect:confused::)?

1eyedog
26-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Very pleasing win but if we keep playing like that good teams will beat us easily. We should have beaten the Eagles by more, still I am very happy and not overly complaining, just want the best for my Doggies.

hujsh
26-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Took us a while to get that 20th goal. Did the players want to keep that streak of 19 going?

Rocket Science
27-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Agree with the consensus. Strewth, the Eagles have fallen hard haven't they? And in a hurry too.

West Coast are evidently a team in disarray at present and while quibbling over a 10 goal win seems trite, we could have been a shade more convincing...one suspects things could have been markedly different against a better performed opponent.

Two issues of note: (a) our decision making going forward was an issue in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and (b) while we slaughtered them for inside-50's and manufactured ample chances our finishing and set shots were again an issue...an crucially, issue sure to be magnified against better calibre opposition. We must finish the high-percentage opportunities we work so hard to generate. There's no substitue for scoreboard pressure.

Other positives:
- Cross: Stop me if you've heard this before. Bloke was in everything and never quits.
- Lake: close to best afield, a lynchpin down back, resolute in defence and linked well on the rebound. It's an absolute rort he's not in the All-Stars squad.
- Addison: this bloke's won me over this year, courageous, determined, happy to get his snout dirty and has cut down on the turnovers. Thoroughly deserves his spot right now.
- Murphy: Prominent early before a quieter 2nd half but is such a unique asset across half forward.
- Akermanis and Cooney were difference makers when it counted. This pair are money in the bank for us this year to date which is exactly what we need from them.
- Boyd: Effective and disciplined job on Kerr.
- Cooney genuinely outrucking All-Oz ruckman Cox at a centre bounce and following up with a 2nd effort which produced a Dogs major. Sublime.

Other negatives:
- Johnno clearly labouring, rest the bloke he's giving us very little right now.
- Gilbee and Griffen not finding enough of the footy for the 3rd week running.
- Minson far too indiscriminate with possessions around the ground tonight, too many turnovers.
- Eagleton: not nearly influential enough versus shabby opposition and while it won't happen overnight he's inched another week closer to his spot becoming subject to genuine scutiny.
- Hahn off the boil in the 2nd half.

Dancin' Douggy
27-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Scott west is not selfish. You don't have time to be selfish when you're doing the work he does. Another waste of trees cut down for some useless opinion to be printed on.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Other negatives:

Believe it or not Gilbee had 29 possessions.

Agree with Minson's disposal and Eagleton's lack of influence.

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Agree with the consensus. Strewth, the Eagles have fallen hard haven't they? And in a hurry too.

West Coast are evidently a team in disarray at present and while quibbling over a 10 goal win seems trite, we could have been a shade more convincing...one suspects things could have been markedly different against a better performed opponent.

Two issues of note: (a) our decision making going forward was an issue in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and (b) while we slaughtered them for inside-50's and manufactured ample chances our finishing and set shots were again an issue...an crucially, issue sure to be magnified against better calibre opposition. We must finish the high-percentage opportunities we work so hard to generate. There's no substitue for scoreboard pressure.

Other positives:
- Cross: Stop me if you've heard this before. Bloke was in everything and never quits.
- Lake: close to best afield, a lynchpin down back, resolute in defence and linked well on the rebound. It's an absolute rort he's not in the All-Stars squad.
- Addison: this bloke's won me over this year, courageous, determined, happy to get his snout dirty and has cut down on the turnovers. Thoroughly deserves his spot right now.
- Murphy: Prominent early before a quieter 2nd half but is such a unique asset across half forward.
- Akermanis and Cooney were difference makers when it counted. This pair are money in the bank for us this year to date which is exactly what we need from them.
- Boyd: Effective and disciplined job on Kerr.
- Cooney genuinely outrucking All-Oz ruckman Cox at a centre bounce and following up with a 2nd effort which produced a Dogs major. Sublime.

Other negatives:
- Johnno clearly labouring, rest the bloke he's giving us very little right now.
- Minson far too indiscriminate with possessions around the ground tonight, too many turnovers.
- Eagleton: not nearly influential enough versus shabby opposition and while it won't happen overnight he's inched another week closer to his spot becoming subject to genuine scutiny.
- Hahn off the boil in the 2nd half.

I agree with it all except Gilbee had a lazy 29 tonight.

Dancin' Douggy
27-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Can't believe I'm deflated by a ten goal win over the eagles.
Just yearning for that last quarter steam train that never seems to arrive.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Can't believe I'm deflated by a ten goal win over the eagles.
Just yearning for that last quarter steam train that never seems to arrive.

Saving the fuel tickets for next week and the week after id presume.

Sydney and Freo away will really test the boys.

Rocket Science
27-04-2008, 01:20 AM
I agree with it all except Gilbee had a lazy 29 tonight.

Perhaps a glance at the stats sheet was in order before sounding off...but perhaps I was also speaking to the 'quality' of those possessions. Just felt he's been less damaging and influential than we're used to, particularly by foot.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Perhaps a glance at the stats sheet was in order before sounding off...but perhaps I was also speaking to the 'quality' of those possessions. Just felt he's been less damaging and influential than we're used to, particularly by foot.

Well i definitely agree with that. Not shreding it up yet.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Griff has gone missing the last few weeks. I'd trial him up the forward half of the ground, or settle him back in defence for a week or two, just to get some confidence back. We look a much better side with him having 20+ quality touches. He's shown he can mix it through the midfield, but will probably struggle with a bit of consistency this year considering he had a bit of a reduced pre-season and it is his first real season in the guts at this level.

GVGjr
27-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Griff has gone missing the last few weeks. I'd trial him up the forward half of the ground, or settle him back in defence for a week or two, just to get some confidence back. We look a much better side with him having 20+ quality touches. He's shown he can mix it through the midfield, but will probably struggle with a bit of consistency this year considering he had a bit of a reduced pre-season and it is his first real season in the guts at this level.

I have had my doubts on Griffen's real value playing in the middle. I'd still prefer him on a wing or off half back but I do understand the need to inject some more pace and grunt.

Go_Dogs
27-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I have had my doubts on Griffen's real value playing in the middle. I'd still prefer him on a wing or off half back but I do understand the need to inject some more pace and grunt.

I feel against teams like Geelong and Hawthorn we really need Griffen in the mix as otherwise our midfield looks a little one paced. His ball use is fantastic and he's strong enough to break/stand up in tackles and he really adds value to the mix we have.

We shouldn't feel obligated to play him in there every week though, and if others are doing alright, like they were last night (with no danger of it slipping), he could be used to better advantage somewhere else, which will in turn continue to build his confidence.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Yep Griffen to a HBF

hujsh
27-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I like the idea of keeping them guessing about where Griff will play.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 06:46 PM
How come there is no Kerr-bitching thread?

Anyone see in the last quarter Kerr go up to Murphy and push Murphy's reco'ed knee over himself? Bit hard to explain but did anyone see it? It was when one of our boys were going for goal.

...and also, what happened in the cheer squad in the last quarter??? Everyone was off their seats looking behind them.

The Underdog
27-04-2008, 08:30 PM

It's wierd but when he gets the ball in a contested situation he almost seems to be looking for a tackle to break rathe than just going for the first option. I think the problem we have is that our quality mids are mainly slower in and under link types. Cooney aside, there isn't anyone who has that touch of class and ability to break from a centre bounce, which Griff has the capacity to do. I agree though he'd be great off a HBF and would potentially take the pressure off Gilbs.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 08:58 PM
...and also, what happened in the cheer squad in the last quarter??? Everyone was off their seats looking behind them.

Oh god....don't tell me a riot! We'll be slowly forming into Collingwood supporters! :eek:

As for Griffen, I think he chose the wrong (and usually, closest) option last night. If, my memory serves me correctly!

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 09:00 PM
How come there is no Kerr-bitching thread?

Anyone see in the last quarter Kerr go up to Murphy and push Murphy's reco'ed knee over himself? Bit hard to explain but did anyone see it? It was when one of our boys were going for goal.

Kerrs a dirty player cant stand him.

Nothing happened in the cheersquad, it was in the bay to the right of it(looking out onto the ground) some eagles feral fan was just cheering for his team, trying to incite the crowd, i dont know what happened when he walked away from the security, but yeah he was a total tool, but hey he was supporting his team so yeah.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I forgot the ULTIMATE highlight of the game...
Cooney out rucking Cox
Sooo good!

Sockeye Salmon
27-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Has anyone else noted how often Cooney and Griffen look for each other?

I think we have another Johnno-Bubba type pair.

hujsh
27-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Has anyone else noted how often Cooney and Griffen look for each other?

I think we have another Johnno-Bubba type pair.

I reckon it will come with Minson and Murph.

Is it me or does he look for Minson more than most?

The Coon Dog
27-04-2008, 10:49 PM
For those of you in Perth, how have the local media seen this game, a Dogs win or Eagles loss? What's the feeling on the Kerr headbutt too?

Happy with that effort jerry?

Mantis
28-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Happy with that effort jerry?

jerry only posts when we play poorly...

dog town
28-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I didn't really want Griffen to go into the midfield yet prior to this season but now that he is in I would leave him. He is just getting more attention now thats all. They are blocking his run at every stoppage and not letting him get a free run at it. While they are doing this it is taking the attention away from our other midfielders (see Cooney). He just needs to keep chipping away it and staying involved. If he gets a game where most of the heat is on someone else then thats when he has to step up and burn sides. Teams were always going to put alot of work into someone who can be so damaging so he might as well learn how to cope with it now. Cant look at his contribution to the midfield group purely in terms of personal numbers.

Just a few observations from the game...

Another thing having Griffen, a fit Cooney and Cross has done is its allowed us to use Boyd more wisely. Boyd is a great ball getter but also one of the few players we have with the attributes to shut players down around the stoppages. We might see him and West used more defensively at times especially around the stoppages. I think that could be a good new challenge for West. Never going to go with guys around the ground but he is so strong that he would be pretty good at stopping midfielders who do most of their damage around the contest.

If Daniel Cross isn't in the best handful of midfielders going around at the moment I must be watching the wrong game. He did some of the most ridiculously fearless things you would ever see on a football ground the other night. Just leading by example every week.

Our forward line pressure is back at the levels of early 2006/late 2005. Our hard outs would have been way up on saturday night and the eagles players just panicked and coughed up the footy. Massive key to our game.

Hudson has just been an awesome pick up for us. Not much more to say about that.

Little bit concerned with us starting to leak goals again. We always seem to have atleast one or two defenders who are having a bad day. If the swans score over 100 points against us then the odds are that we wont win.

Mantis
28-04-2008, 08:53 PM
^^^

As usual a good summation dog town.

Agree with your thoughts on Griffen. He is being the shown the utmost respect by our opponents, maybe before time, but the attention he is receiving and the way he handles it will lay the foundations for his life as a midfielder. He is being hammered by the opposition who are giving him no space to work in, but he will find away around it and it will make him a better player and in the meantime we have other players picking up the slack.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I didn't really want Griffen to go into the midfield yet prior to this season but now that he is in I would leave him. He is just getting more attention now thats all. They are blocking his run at every stoppage and not letting him get a free run at it. While they are doing this it is taking the attention away from our other midfielders (see Cooney). He just needs to keep chipping away it and staying involved. If he gets a game where most of the heat is on someone else then thats when he has to step up and burn sides. Teams were always going to put alot of work into someone who can be so damaging so he might as well learn how to cope with it now. Cant look at his contribution to the midfield group purely in terms of personal numbers.

Absolutely agree 100% with everything you've written d-town. My thoughts precisely. Griff's current value to the midfield goes way beyond numbers. If, then, over the next year or so, he gets to the next level and breaks out and starts getting those numbers up again, then we'll have a genuine, genuine Judd-level game-breaker/superstar on our hands.

dog town
28-04-2008, 09:05 PM
^^^

As usual a good summation dog town.

Agree with your thoughts on Griffen. He is being the shown the utmost respect by our opponents, maybe before time, but the attention he is receiving and the way he handles it will lay the foundations for his life as a midfielder. He is being hammered by the opposition who are giving him no space to work in, but he will find away around it and it will make him a better player and in the meantime we have other players picking up the slack. Yep. Not only is it helping the side having him in the middle at the moment it is also going to be massive for him long term. Everytime he has a 3 goal/25 touch game he is going to get more attention. Now the trick for him is to do what Gary Ablett did and lift his work rate up another level. I see Griffen and Cooney as similar talents to Ablett and all developed at similar rates. Griff is where Ablett was at the same stage roughly.

It is also up to guys like Boyd, Cross and maybe more than ever a guy like Scotty West to sacrifice a bit of their own game to block for Griffen and get him some space. If he is getting heavy attention at the stoppages then we need to smash into the opposition. Fairly or unfairly it doesn't worry me you just need the guy doing it to doubt himself a bit. I have played shut down roles before and the moment you start getting smashed at stoppages from guys you cant see coming it makes your job basically impossible. We need to give him and Cooney a chop out when we can. Interesting that Daniel Kerr said today he misses Chick more than Judd or Cousins because Chick was really the muscle for the eagles. He freed up alot of the eagles gun midfielders.

Mantis
28-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Yep. Not only is it helping the side having him in the middle at the moment it is also going to be massive for him long term. Everytime he has a 3 goal/25 touch game he is going to get more attention. Now the trick for him is to do what Gary Ablett did and lift his work rate up another level. I see Griffen and Cooney as similar talents to Ablett and all developed at similar rates. Griff is where Ablett was at the same stage roughly.

It is also up to guys like Boyd, Cross and maybe more than ever a guy like Scotty West to sacrifice a bit of their own game to block for Griffen and get him some space. If he is getting heavy attention at the stoppages then we need to smash into the opposition. Fairly or unfairly it doesn't worry me you just need the guy doing it to doubt himself a bit. I have played shut down roles before and the moment you start getting smashed at stoppages from guys you cant see coming it makes your job basically impossible. We need to give him and Cooney a chop out when we can. Interesting that Daniel Kerr said today he misses Chick more than Judd or Cousins because Chick was really the muscle for the eagles. He freed up alot of the eagles gun midfielders.

With this being the case, and your spot on with your thoughts, should we look at getting Hahn into the middle every so often to belt a few players, fairly of course. With his strength he would be the perfect foil to our ball playing midfielders, maybe just a 2 or 3 minute run per qtr, but in this time hopefully he can do a bit of damage.

On Griffen, his lack of conditioning shows at present. He just has got the tank yet to do what he wants, but in time as his body matures he will hopefully be able to burn players off with his work-rate not just his agility. The most impressive thing at present is that amount of times he finds himself with the ball in his hands at stoppages, he just knows where to be and that is something that can't be taught, well I don't think it can, it's just a skill that you have, Cooney is the same in that respect.

Raw Toast
28-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Good points DT and Mantis.

I was also been pleased with the role Griffenn played against West Coast, and more generally this season with the way he gets the taps from Hudson and if he can't break away then at least he makes sure we get another bounce. Hudson very clearly looks for him at crucial times I reckon, just like Minson looks for Cooney (and Wynd used to look for Romero a fair bit too).

What I find a bit concerning is that Griffen tends to lose confidence a bit if his obvious contribution is down - it's probably only natural, but I think he needs to learn abit more about how to get some easy ball, like Aker ambles down to the backline every now and then. Also his team-mates could look to make sure he gets some easier possessions early on.

The other thing, is that Griffen (and also Hudson) seems to take it upon himself to do something when we're struggling. It's an excellent attribute but I think he often tries to do a bit much on these occassions. He needs to learn that he doesn't have to break away from a stoppage every time, and start mixing it up with some quick handpasses and maybe kicks so that he becomes a little less predictable.

He might learn a bit from Johnson I reckon, as Johnson's got much better this season at bringing others into the game rather than trying to do it all himself. As DT's noted before, he can actually be a really deft kick going forward when he doesn't try and force things too much.

In terms of the general game, what I really liked was the way we stepped up every time they challenged us. Pretty soon I noted that every time the Eagles cheer squad started their chant (that is every time they got a goal or two), we responded. Murphy was really important in this, and the game seemed to turn around him for much of the night. He seems at his best when he doesn't have time to think - on such occassions he just creates an opportunity and takes it, whereas when he was a bit more time he's more likely to spend his marks before he completely takes them, and to telegraph his moves a bit more.

Go_Dogs
29-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Another thing having Griffen, a fit Cooney and Cross has done is its allowed us to use Boyd more wisely. Boyd is a great ball getter but also one of the few players we have with the attributes to shut players down around the stoppages. We might see him and West used more defensively at times especially around the stoppages.

Agree wholeheartedly with his one DT. I've been an advocate for one of the West/Cross/Boyd trio needing to play a defensive role - Boyd was great over the weekend and if he can continue to limit the influence of the oppositions most form midfielder it certainly helps us out a lot. Great to see Rocket thrust him back into a defensive role after he played the majority of 07 as a ball winner.

Bulldog Revolution
29-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Good points DT and Mantis.

I was also been pleased with the role Griffenn played against West Coast, and more generally this season with the way he gets the taps from Hudson and if he can't break away then at least he makes sure we get another bounce. Hudson very clearly looks for him at crucial times I reckon, just like Minson looks for Cooney (and Wynd used to look for Romero a fair bit too).

What I find a bit concerning is that Griffen tends to lose confidence a bit if his obvious contribution is down - it's probably only natural, but I think he needs to learn abit more about how to get some easy ball, like Aker ambles down to the backline every now and then. Also his team-mates could look to make sure he gets some easier possessions early on.

The other thing, is that Griffen (and also Hudson) seems to take it upon himself to do something when we're struggling. It's an excellent attribute but I think he often tries to do a bit much on these occassions. He needs to learn that he doesn't have to break away from a stoppage every time, and start mixing it up with some quick handpasses and maybe kicks so that he becomes a little less predictable.

RT - I think this is a pretty accurate assessment of where Griff is at. He tends to press a bit at times and perhaps try do too much, take on too many men, and learning to balance that out is important. But the coaching staff obviously give him a license to play his game. He has been caught less this year and even when he has he generally is able to get it away to advantage.

But I think you are right he isn't picking up enough kicks in general play where he can just get on the end of it. He ranks 21st on the season for marks and I would have though he could perhaps get a few more cheap ones and use his footskills to advantage, but maybe he is attracting more opposition attention and so doesn't get the space to do that.

dog town
29-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I think he needs to learn abit more about how to get some easy ball, like Aker ambles down to the backline every now and then. Also his team-mates could look to make sure he gets some easier possessions early on.

Absolutely. Cheap touches are the making of all great players. Griffen and Cooney both need to get more of them. Could be as simple as running an extra 5 metres to get a handball recieve 3 or 4 times a game. It is often one of the harder things for young players to pick up. Its generally a work rate or game reading problem.

He might learn a bit from Johnson I reckon, as Johnson's got much better this season at bringing others into the game rather than trying to do it all himself. As DT's noted before, he can actually be a really deft kick going forward when he doesn't try and force things too much.
. He does try to force things a bit sometimes and it can be to our detriment. How do you stop it without taking away some of his natural risk taking? Perhaps just needs to play things a bit smarter sometimes. They are always going to look for him to take on the tackler so it is only natural that he will draw players to him. If that means he has 2 or 3 players running past on the overlap then I think he should give the ball off. Experience should help with that. It is scary how often he breaks tackles though.

In terms of the general game, what I really liked was the way we stepped up every time they challenged us. Pretty soon I noted that every time the Eagles cheer squad started their chant (that is every time they got a goal or two), we responded. Murphy was really important in this, and the game seemed to turn around him for much of the night. He seems at his best when he doesn't have time to think - on such occassions he just creates an opportunity and takes it, whereas when he was a bit more time he's more likely to spend his marks before he completely takes them, and to telegraph his moves a bit more.
Totally agree. Murph took a mark from a really close kick (1st quarter I think) and it was absolutely rammed down his throat. The commentator gushed about the quality of his hands but I can remember him dropping bundles of chest marks even at his best. Its not a rare thing. Lots of players are better like that. The quality of him turning that eagles player inside out was amazing.

dog town
29-04-2008, 07:32 PM
But I think you are right he isn't picking up enough kicks in general play where he can just get on the end of it. He ranks 21st on the season for marks and I would have though he could perhaps get a few more cheap ones and use his footskills to advantage, but maybe he is attracting more opposition attention and so doesn't get the space to do that.Very telling statistic. Uncontested marks are one of the greatest indicators of midfield workrate especially running workrate. Alot of things come into it but he should certainly be higher than 21st. Doing lots right but alot of room for improvement which is very exciting.

Raw Toast
29-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Totally agree. Murph took a mark from a really close kick (1st quarter I think) and it was absolutely rammed down his throat. The commentator gushed about the quality of his hands but I can remember him dropping bundles of chest marks even at his best. Its not a rare thing. Lots of players are better like that. The quality of him turning that eagles player inside out was amazing.

Wasn't it just. Made it look effortless. It was a fine kick to him as well (was it Minson?), as the best option was to go over his head and allow him to run onto it. I imagine it was the kind of thing that Robbie Flower used to do.

I liked that he flew the flag for West as well, adn I think he's started stepping up re clutch shots at goal. he's playing a bit more like a leader. His tackle against Cox was just what we needed (though I'm glad Cox got pinged for throwing it, as there was a chance it could be called in the back were it not a throw).

re Griffen, I think one of the great things about him is that he seems determined to learn. He's a bit hard on himself I reckon, which might mean he'll over-correct a bit at times, but as you say, he still has a very exciting upside.

Eade might also be on a bit of a learning curve with him, in terms of working out where best to shuffle him when others take a turn in the middle. His mark and goal against the Tigers was pretty important, and a good sign that he could still slot it on a day when he was struggling. I hadn't seen him played up forward for awhile, so we might start seeing a bit more of that as well.

Mantis
29-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Absolutely. Cheap touches are the making of all great players. Griffen and Cooney both need to get more of them. Could be as simple as running an extra 5 metres to get a handball recieve 3 or 4 times a game. It is often one of the harder things for young players to pick up. Its generally a work rate or game reading problem.

I would have thought that this is an area that Cooney has already improved in. His handball receives would be way up on previous years, it's not unusual to see him pick up 'cheap' kicks deep in defence. If it means he gains confidence in dishing the ball off then I'm all for it.

Bumper Bulldogs
29-04-2008, 09:57 PM
lets all remember that these guys have not actually played together for mare than 6 games as midfielders. I'm sure that with west back he will provide the experience and be tagged to free the younger guys up. Also I'm sure if Jonno was 100% he would love to get into the midfield and show the explosive pace like that day against Adelaide at the MCG two years ago when he broke away off the back flank. Give Griff some time as he will be fantastic and will get better with every game. Cooney also has had his first pre season and doesn't it make a hugh difference.