PDA

View Full Version : Simple: YES or NO

mjp
17-06-2024, 12:21 PM
OK. We've gotten to the bye and the ledger is 7-7.

Ladder Position: 9th (2-points out of the 8)
Percentage: 119.7%. (2nd)

Currrent injuries:

Naughton: Short-term
Harmes: Short-term
Coffield: Short-term
Keath: Medium Term
JJ: Medium Term
Gardner: Long Term
Smith: Long Term

The question is:
- Given this simple synopsis, would you have 'taken it' if offered before Round 1 or would you have preferred to play it out with the expecation we would have done better.

Ozza
17-06-2024, 12:23 PM
No.
Expect much better.

azabob
17-06-2024, 12:41 PM
THIS IS STUPID

Prior to the season starting you told me

*We would be playing 6-8 developing players each week in key roles
*4 debutants
*Naughton, Liberatore, Richards, JJ would miss multiple weeks with injuries
*Macrea, Daniel, Dale were not automatic selections

I would have taken our win/loss ratio in a heartbeat and would actually be ok missing finals.

Now, I expect to make finals and will be disappointed if we do not.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-06-2024, 12:41 PM
No.

I hoped for better than 7-7 but I've been happy with the change we've seen since the hawks loss. We look vastly different to the 2022 and 2023 versions of this side.

But I wanted to be better than 7-7 given the moves we made in the off-season.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-06-2024, 12:43 PM
THIS IS STUPID

Prior to the season starting you told me

*We would be playing 6-8 developing players each week in key roles
*4 debutants
*Naughton, Liberatore, Richards, JJ would miss multiple weeks with injuries
*Macrea, Daniel, Dale were not automatic selections

I would have taken our win/loss ratio in a heartbeat and would actually be ok missing finals.

Now, I expect to make finals and will be disappointed if we do not.

Funny thing is we've actually performed better whilst dealing with the injuries. Our start to the season was the disappointment.

mjp
17-06-2024, 12:45 PM
No.

I hoped for better than 7-7 but I've been happy with the change we've seen since the hawks loss. We look vastly different to the 2022 and 2023 versions of this side.

But I wanted to be better than 7-7 given the moves we made in the off-season.

It's funny right...I also hoped for better than 7-7 so would vote 'no', but I've actually been really happy/satisfied with performances.

I didn't think the Hawthorn lost was the big deal most did...our execution down the stretch was appalling and we lost by a kick. It happens.

I expected the loss vs Brisbane due to the schedule we had played...

bornadog
17-06-2024, 12:54 PM
I voted it is more complicated.

I did expect to be better than 7-7 pre-season, but, now I realise changing the game plan and blooding so many new kids is always going to be hard to adapt to. I feel finally the group is clicking together and we can go on with it. Although the backline is not leaking too many goals, I am still worried about the CHB role - we just don't have someone that is solid enough to take that role, and God help us if Jonesy goes down (fingers crossed)

I can see Bevo has also changed and listening to his assistants and working as a coercive coaching group. With some of the injured players coming back, we should have a good second half of the season.

Scorlibo
17-06-2024, 12:57 PM
It's more complicated but I've answered 'yes' because my expectations were genuinely quite low and the season as it's turned out has exceeded them dramatically, despite the middling record.

There's barely a single loss this season that can't be well explained by circumstance. Maybe the exception is the Fremantle in Perth game where we were soundly beaten, but even that is a tough task no matter where Fremantle sit.

Melbourne we were disadvantaged by the BS of Round 0.
Geelong we should have won, close game.
Essendon the difference was a difference in conversion.
Hawks a close game, they've since won 5 of their last 6. Much better team than we thought at the time.
Swans best team in it, and we were two down on the bench for the last half.
Lions our injuries and suspensions caught up with us.

Then the wins have been enormous. We're good and if we can keep being good while locking away the one or two close games in the back half of the season, we'll belong at the pointy end of finals.

bornadog
17-06-2024, 01:02 PM
There's barely a single loss this season that can't be well explained by circumstance. Maybe the exception is the Fremantle in Perth game where we were soundly beaten, but even that is a tough task no matter where Fremantle sit.

Even the Freo game we were right in it with 5 points down at 3/4 time and going down by 4 goals

Happy Days
17-06-2024, 01:04 PM
7-7 isn’t too bad in a vacuum. I would’ve expected a positive record, maybe like 9-5, but it’s not a mile off.

But - we’re wrecking everyone when we beat them and generally having a period of sustained dominance in our losses with one or two exceptions. There’s still an element of punching ourselves in the dick with this team that while better than last year is still so annoying and hard to trust.

mighty_west
17-06-2024, 01:25 PM
I voted the complicated option, thought we would have been slightly ahead of where we stand, maybe 8-6, that said maybe we should have seen this happen from the start given Daniel, Macrae and Dale were on the outer and younger players were given the nod, now Jack and especially Dale is back in arguably AA form, brilliant turn around, maybe we also needed to be more patient from the start with a heck of a lot of new coaching additions to a club too and give them time to gel with the players and new structures in place, things seem to be slowly turning around given our best is very good, the loss of key players over the past few weeks hurt.

The rest of our fixture looks tough but with close to our best squad back after the bye i'm backing us to do some damage and take a few scalps along the way, let's see where that lands us!

Bulldog Joe
17-06-2024, 01:27 PM
I am definitely in the not satisfied camp with where we sit.

I expected to be sitting top 4 at this point and when I look at what has transpired I still believe we should be safely ahead of everyone bar Sydney.

The season is tight but we gave up wins against Geelong (poor coaching and execution), Essendon (poor execution, Hawthorn (dreadful turnovers).

Win 2 of those and we are 9-5 and in second.

Additionally we were right in the Sydney and first Freo games.

However, we do seem to have addressed a few issues on the run and I am now really happy with the way we are looking.

If the Sydney, Collingwood and Freo games as 3 of our last 4 are the guide we can go deep with our list back to health.

GVGjr
17-06-2024, 01:27 PM
For the sake of just one more win I think many of us would view the season quite differently.
8 - 6 with a game against North to come would provide a lot more optimism for all supporters.
I don't think it's complicated so the results are a bit disappointing from my perspective.
Having a strong percentage highlights we are a good side. Basically losing every 2nd week highlights we are just a bit flakey.
The side has enough star players and the training facilities and coaching this side has available to them should be more than enough to perform as a top 5 or 6 side.

Grantysghost
17-06-2024, 01:30 PM
I went no.

Losses to the Cats in gather round (they aren't that good), Hawthorn and the Bombers are below my expectations.

The Demons game was a debacle.

I think we should have won at least 1 of those 3 probably 2.

Beating the Pies was a bonus, although the worst team in history had them by 9 goals yesterday so not sure that's such a big achievement.

GWS win was the best of the lot I think, the Swans.... what could have been.

I think 8-6 would be more like it. (i know i know fine margins but I had to pick).

lemmon
17-06-2024, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't have taken it - finals was my expectation for this year and I feel that realistically, the first half of our draw was a lot easier than the second.

We get North twice, but also Port away, the Blues, the Cats down the highway, the Swans away, a huge game against the Dees, the Crows away and GWS.

If we're going to get there, it'll be on the back of some big scalps.

Sedat
17-06-2024, 01:47 PM
We rate ourselves higher internally than the rest of the footy community rates us. Most had us a 50-50 proposition at best at the start of the year, so we are playing to those expectations.

We are about 1 win short of where I expected us to be, but at 3-5 we have been very good under duress to get to parity at the break.

hujsh
17-06-2024, 02:46 PM
I'd say no but not because we're better than this. It's because being 7-7 with a pretty tough run home means we miss finals most likely. So may as well roll the dice.

Jeanette54
17-06-2024, 02:54 PM
I thought I should have answered that I am not satisfied with the 7-7 result at this stage of the season, but it is not quite that simple.

I feel we have made some real progress with several players, sometimes forced selections because of injuries. Add to that, no team (Swans excepted) have displayed an even performance level thus far through the season. And quite honestly, we severely tested the swans, and probably should have won, only injuries cruelling our day.

We also weathered the storm of the pressure placed on Bevo by the media, and that could only be answered by our on-ground performance. I feel we have learnt from this and emerged stronger as a club.

One big thing for the club would be a show of faith in our future, via the re-signing of Bailey Smith and Tim English. I get they want the best deals they can get, but signing would show some confidence in our potential for a successful future for both themselves and the club. Get that done and 7-7 doesn't seem all that much of a detrimental start.

Mantis
17-06-2024, 02:57 PM
I'm firmly in the 'NO' category.

We are perfectly good enough to be at least 9-5 with the team we have.

Bevo said we would be the most prepared we would ever be for a Rd 1 clash in his tenure... and whilst there were mitigating circumstances this clearly wasn't the case given our poor start.

Uninformed
17-06-2024, 03:10 PM
We are where we are.

And I like what I am seeing.

We are making adjustments and improvements as the season progresses and there is a lot to like in the way our game is developing.

Apart from the Brisbane game our fitness seems better than most.

Apart from Baz our injuries have not been horrendous.

Darcy will just get better.

Our current midfield is just brilliant and role players are doing well.

Very optimistic about the rest of the year.

So for me - 'None of the above'

comrade
17-06-2024, 03:14 PM
I saw a ladder based on expected score last night and it has us sitting second (Essendon were bottom 4ish lol). We?re going better than 9th but still incredibly untrustworthy.

I?m relatively happy compared to prior years. If Buss debuts and shows a bit (and re-signs) I?ll be even happier. There?s plenty to work with over the next 2-3 years.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2024, 05:48 PM
So, I've voted yes only on the provision I was also privvy to the context of how we've done it this year. I just think we look like we're learning something new, and seemingly processing a lot of it quite quickly too.
If you'd told me despite the tough schedule, we'd be 50/50 at the bye, still in contention for a spot in the top 4, with the second best % in the league, and all the whilst doing it with some important personnel missing via injury at key times in big game moments,
I'd be glass half full.

The GWS and Collingwood wins in particular stand out as games that give me hope for the tough back half of the year. Our list starts to look a lot healthier coming out of the bye with Coffield and Naughton pressing for selection from injury too.

bornadog
17-06-2024, 06:13 PM
So, I've voted yes only on the provision I was also privvy to the context of how we've done it this year. I just think we look like we're learning something new, and seemingly processing a lot of it quite quickly too.
If you'd told me despite the tough schedule, we'd be 50/50 at the bye, still in contention for a spot in the top 4, with the second best % in the league, and all the whilst doing it with some important personnel missing via injury at key times in big game moments,
I'd be glass half full.

The GWS and Collingwood wins in particular stand out as games that give me hope for the tough back half of the year. Our list starts to look a lot healthier coming out of the bye with Coffield and Naughton pressing for selection from injury too.

Don't under estimate the Freo win. They were playing for a position in the top 4 and if they won would have been sitting 3rd.

I rate the Freo game, the best win this year. We demolished them

Go_Dogs
17-06-2024, 06:51 PM
I’m voting take it, because it’s basically like starting fresh after the bye and knowing what we know now, we should perform better over the second half notwithstanding some of the commentary we have a harder fixture. Maybe, maybe not.

When you factor in all the changes, coaching and players within the 22, along with injuries, and that we’ve been up to our eyeballs in most losses (some we’ve played well and others we haven’t) with such a strong %, we’re behind where we should’ve been but performing well enough.

I’m expecting we get to 13-14 wins, we were going to need to have a favourable second half and that’s what I’m basing my end of year ranking on.

kruder
17-06-2024, 08:15 PM
I'm a no, but with a defence as poor as ours and how we lined up in round 1 back there I was probably too optimistic to begin with.

Even so I've really enjoyed going to the footy since the Richmond game for mine there is a clear direction forward, fingers crossed Power can sort out a KPD or two in the offseason . If Jones goes down we are 100% cooked.

The bulldog tragician
17-06-2024, 08:41 PM
Don't under estimate the Freo win. They were playing for a position in the top 4 and if they won would have been sitting 3rd.

I rate the Freo game, the best win this year. We demolished them
Me too. It showed great resilience. We looked mentally and physically shot during the Bris match. I did not expect us to play with so much energy and style.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2024, 08:43 PM
No-not satisfied

Think we have dropped points unnecessarily and we need to put that behind us and develop a ruthless win at all costs mentality and believe - think Collingwood - 54 points down.....nah we an still win this!

Having said that. I like what I am seeing. We have made changes both in personnel and in positions. Players like Richards have exploded in new positions. Darcy has grown into an imposing player. Our wings, often maligned and ineffectual since Hunter departed have become strong points again with Williams and Gag's taking up the mantle.

We should be in the top 4.

jeemak
17-06-2024, 09:39 PM
I went with option three.

Maybe I'd have expected one more win, maybe two. At the same time we could have dropped one or both of the GWS and Collingwood games to even things out.

It's a tough competition and I think we're doing well to keep ourselves in it given some changes in personnel, injuries and a rejigged playing approach.

What's really pleasing is the volume of scoring opportunities our game plan is generating and how well the game plan is shielding our ineptness in key defence outside of Liam Jones.

Mofra
17-06-2024, 09:53 PM
No. 8-6 I might be 'ok' with it.

jazzadogs
17-06-2024, 10:25 PM
When you consider that 7-7 could put us 12th (if Melbourne, Gold Coast and Brisbane all win their 14th games this weekend) then really it's not acceptable. But that also shows that it's a very even competition.

I had low expectations for the season, so it is probably on par with those, but that's more of a blight on the group than anything.

I don't know if we should be MUCH better than this, but I think we have shot ourselves in the foot a few times and will probably rue that in September.

Happy Days
18-06-2024, 01:22 AM
When you consider that 7-7 could put us 12th (if Melbourne, Gold Coast and Brisbane all win their 14th games this weekend) then really it's not acceptable. But that also shows that it's a very even competition.

I had low expectations for the season, so it is probably on par with those, but that's more of a blight on the group than anything.

I don't know if we should be MUCH better than this, but I think we have shot ourselves in the foot a few times and will probably rue that in September.

Yeah I agree with this. In hindsight the actual annoying games were against Geelong that we still almost won with only 3 players showing up, and the first time against Freo that we completely bottled (even more so now given we’re apparently 12 goals better than them).

Mantis
18-06-2024, 12:09 PM
Yeah I agree with this. In hindsight the actual annoying games were against Geelong that we still almost won with only 3 players showing up, and the first time against Freo that we completely bottled (even more so now given we’re apparently 12 goals better than them).

You can add the Hawthorn game in there too... we were out of the blocks quickly and had a 3 goals lead 6min in, but then played like a busted ass, were poorly coached and had a narrow loss.

Whilst Haw have found form since they were only just travelling going into this game and it's a game we clearly should've won.

Happy Days
18-06-2024, 12:11 PM
You can add the Hawthorn game in there too... we were out of the blocks quickly and had a 3 goals lead 6min in, but then played like a busted ass, were poorly coached and had a narrow loss.

Whilst Haw have found form since they were only just travelling going into this game and it's a game we clearly should've won.

But kicking the first three goals and losing is our move. You wouldn’t expect Randy Orton to stop hitting the RKO.

Sedat
18-06-2024, 12:58 PM

I reckon the players have to hold 50-50 responsibility for this loss as well as the coaching on the day. We conceded something like 12 turnover goals out of 14, and from memory almost 60 points were conceded directly from defensive half turnovers - that sort of ball-butchery is impossible to defend against.

jeemak
18-06-2024, 01:12 PM
I reckon the players have to hold 50-50 responsibility for this loss as well as the coaching on the day. We conceded something like 12 turnover goals out of 14, and from memory almost 60 points were conceded directly from defensive half turnovers - that sort of ball-butchery is impossible to defend against.

I don't remember the coaching issues, what were they?

There was pressure well applied by Hawthorn but the butchering of the footy was the thing that stood out to me.

Mantis
18-06-2024, 03:34 PM
I don't remember the coaching issues, what were they?

There was pressure well applied by Hawthorn but the butchering of the footy was the thing that stood out to me.

We had Richards parked out HF for most of the game all the while whilst our midfield lacked drive and our defenders were poor.

If Ed wasn't part of the midfield rotations he needed to go back.

SonofScray
18-06-2024, 04:27 PM
No.

We've underperformed based on expectations and look like finishing 10th.

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2024, 05:54 PM
No.

We've underperformed based on expectations and look like finishing 10th.

From here I see us with a real chance to go deep.

Win the next 12 and we are premiers.

SonofScray
18-06-2024, 05:57 PM
From here I see us with a real chance to go deep.

Win the next 12 and we are premiers.

We could do that, and I hope we do.

If we make it, we'll know on our day we are good enough. Almost on talent alone. Can we muster up enough of our days? Previous iterations of the team I believed we could, this iteration I hope we can.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Yes.