PDA

View Full Version : We couldn't do it could we??

mjp
24-06-2024, 11:02 AM
North have been pretty good the last two - watching them fight the fight vs Melbourne on the weekend I was NOT excited that we have to play them twice in the run home.

Surely we put them away this week...please tell me not to worry, that "we've got this" and no matter how much North have improved/are improving, that this is NOT gonna be the week...

Happy Days
24-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Of course we could. You know we could.

We’re better, we’re more or less healthy, we just have to play properly and we’ll win. But I would’ve preferred to have gotten them a couple of weeks back.

my plums
24-06-2024, 11:09 AM
Feels like we are getting a few teams at the right time for them this year? Maybe I'm wrong.

The Underdog
24-06-2024, 11:14 AM
North have been pretty good the last two - watching them fight the fight vs Melbourne on the weekend I was NOT excited that we have to play them twice in the run home.

Surely we put them away this week...please tell me not to worry, that "we've got this" and no matter how much North have improved/are improving, that this is NOT gonna be the week...

From the team who missed finals last year by losing a game at Marvel to the worst West Coast team we've ever seen. We're 100% capable of shitting the bed. We shouldn't but we absolutely could.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-06-2024, 11:29 AM

Hey it doesn't work like that. WE are the ones who seek reassurance from YOU.

Mofra
24-06-2024, 11:42 AM
I genuinely think we lose the inside 50 count this week.

A lot is riding on how our forwards compete against north's backline. On paper our talls should have a field day. But football isn't played on paper.

Grantysghost
24-06-2024, 11:46 AM

My hope is they've been up for a couple of weeks, and they have a down game.

Not sure though they look pumped.

I'm ok with the challenge, we need to play teams at their best to win it so bring it on.

Our forwards should be way too strong for their defence, so a lot will depend on the midfield battle.

jeemak
24-06-2024, 12:29 PM
If we show up around the contest and hunt the loose ball we'll get our thirty scoring shots and that should be enough to win it.

No excuses for this playing group not to show up. They had their down week against Brisbane and bounced back. Norf have been up for a few weeks and might drop.

bornadog
24-06-2024, 01:25 PM
If we show up around the contest and hunt the loose ball we'll get our thirty scoring shots and that should be enough to win it.

No excuses for this playing group not to show up. They had their down week against Brisbane and bounced back. Norf have been up for a few weeks and might drop.

North played like Champions against Collingwood till Collingwood woke up and said, shit this bottom team may beat us. Against Melbourne, North were back to their crap best and played woeful footy in the first 3 quarters, then Dees went to sleep in the last thinking, we got this. You have to work hard for four quarters.

Dogs by 45

DOG GOD
24-06-2024, 01:44 PM
I think we will lose a close one.

I?m expecting Larkey to get the better of Jones. Could kick 5.
Zurhaar is a danger fwd
LUD is a gun and we will let him run amok, same as Wardlaw.
After last week, I could see them set shot goals from every angle, must like the Coll game, and they normally look alright at Marvel.
It will be a free flowing game and a shootout of sorts.

If we allow them a 5 goal lead, we aren?t pegging that back.
We need a HUGE first quarter to stamp out any belief they might have.

Anything can happen with the Dogs. They remind me of the Pakistan cricket team. Can lose to the ?minnows? of the AFL at any time due to a lack lustre effort.

jazzadogs
24-06-2024, 01:51 PM
Will Phillips to tag Treloar do you think? Bont will be too much for him, but I think he could effectively shut out either Treloar or Libba. He's had a good couple of weeks on Naicos and Oliver.

whythelongface
24-06-2024, 02:14 PM
North are a young side and whilst talented are inconsistent and prone to a really bad week. This will be the week. They have had 3 up weeks and guaranteed this will be their down week. We will win comfortably between 40 to 60 points. But really it is not about North it is more to do with how we play. We will smash them around the contest and our quick ball movement and delivery into the forward will be too much for them.

comrade
24-06-2024, 02:34 PM
I hate when mjp does his Nostradamus thing.

mjp
24-06-2024, 02:55 PM
I hate when mjp does his Nostradamus thing.

Nah - this isn't that...

I was just watching them play Melbourne the other night and thought "Geez, I really want no part of this right now...".

Games I have marked as wins should FEEL like wins. Right at the moment this feels like it's gone from 95-5 our way to 65-35 and I just don't like it.

josie
24-06-2024, 02:58 PM
I saw title and thought it was about winning the GF this year.

Thanks mjp for nightmares rest of this week.

I think we’ll beat norf this week, but I’m not yet convinced we have turned corner regarding lack of consistency. I think the first few minutes will tell us if we’re asleep at wheel after the bye.

mighty_west
24-06-2024, 03:26 PM
North have been very good the past few weeks, likewise West Coast so it seems the "easy win" is a thing of the past this season, that said if we want our team to be good we want our team to play against and beat good sides, i don't see the point in having some soft games only to be belted the following week due to a lack of mental toughness, our players have to watch how North have been playing to therefor come out knowing they'll be up against it and not just take them for granted, we see how even the comp is now and the massive upset is not such a big suprise, my only concern is that in the past we haven't always been at our best coming off a bye whilst North have been hard and tough, but i say bring it on!

mjp
24-06-2024, 04:06 PM
I saw title and thought it was about winning the GF this year.
Now that WOULD have been Nostradamus level!

Thanks mjp for nightmares rest of this week.
Welcome.

EasternWest
24-06-2024, 05:13 PM

Of course we could. It's right up in the "likely a strong possibility" position.

We need to drag the carcass of Josh Bruce out before the game to trigger their ptsi.

chef
24-06-2024, 06:39 PM
Well I doubt I'll drive down now, haha.

azabob
24-06-2024, 06:50 PM
Honestly if we lose this game it is totally unacceptable and the coaches and players would need to seriously consider why are they bothering.

hujsh
24-06-2024, 07:40 PM
Don't you dare. Getting into Jeemak territory here

Flamethrower
24-06-2024, 07:44 PM
If you want "easy" wins, get the Dogs to join division 2 of the WFNL and play the likes of North Sunshine, Tarneit and Rockbank.

This is the AFL - the highest level of Australian Rules football in the world - every game is tough.

Go_Dogs
24-06-2024, 07:53 PM
Kinda glad they?ve played some good games last two weeks. Means we need to be set for this and can?t think it?s a ?go through the motions? game which is when we?re most vulnerable. I reckon we?re up for it. I reckon we?ll belt them.

comrade
24-06-2024, 08:27 PM
Kinda glad they?ve played some good games last two weeks. Means we need to be set for this and can?t think it?s a ?go through the motions? game which is when we?re most vulnerable. I reckon we?re up for it. I reckon we?ll belt them.

To be fair, we could be excused for thinking it only took 1 good quarter from Collingwood to beat them and Melbourne won despite being rank for 75% of the game :D

lemmon
24-06-2024, 08:27 PM
I think we'll be okay, and think it's probably given our coaches a good gauge of how to approach North.

Hopefully we go after their weapons - I would look at sending Scott to Sheezel who's important but still fairly taggable, and think we do a job on LDU around the stoppages. Treloar might be a good candidate for that after the job he did with Daicos in the last term. The other one is English - I hope he really gets on his bike and tests Xerri's running. Think English getting up and down the ground could be a real difference maker.

It'll be interesting to see if Phillips does go to Bont. We seem to like Bont to take his taggers forward, and I think that puts Phillips in a pretty uncomfortable position.

jazzadogs
24-06-2024, 09:39 PM
Reckon Larkey can become the fifth player since 2010 to kick 8 goals in a match against us?

(Can anyone name the other four?!)

Happy Days
24-06-2024, 09:52 PM
Reckon Larkey can become the fifth player since 2010 to kick 8 goals in a match against us?

(Can anyone name the other four?!)

Jenkins & Carlisle are two. Cannot believe Carlisle didn’t really make it after seeing that game.

Happy Days
24-06-2024, 09:55 PM
Also obviously Josh Kennedy did it like 7000 times

Grantysghost
24-06-2024, 10:17 PM

Jenkins & Carlisle are two. Cannot believe Carlisle didn’t really make it after seeing that game.
How did you get those! Took me forever and I had zero idea.

Grantysghost
24-06-2024, 10:18 PM
The other clue is.....

https://i.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNnQyZnVpb3Y2dXFjdDEyeXdhMTNheGVpMG8xOTVxZ GxpcmRrMDFhdiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/ImoticrbHdhNS/giphy.gif

jeemak
24-06-2024, 10:19 PM
Don't you dare. Getting into Jeemak territory here

How little you think of my capabilities that you'd suggest I might waste my time scheming at this level.

Happy Days
24-06-2024, 10:32 PM
How did you get those! Took me forever and I had zero idea.

You don?t just forget a guy kicking 8 goals and having as little influence on the game as Jenkins did. A truly confounding performance.

Carlisle game was cooked. He would?ve caught a bullet if they shot one at him that night.

jazzadogs
24-06-2024, 11:14 PM
You don?t just forget a guy kicking 8 goals and having as little influence on the game as Jenkins did. A truly confounding performance.

Carlisle game was cooked. He would?ve caught a bullet if they shot one at him that night.

I checked the team list...was Mark Austin his opponent?

Uninformed
24-06-2024, 11:25 PM
I had the same thought as Josie when I saw the title. Not admitting to being a blind optimist though!

But I understand your nervousness and share your doubt. With us, anything could happen.

Happy Days
24-06-2024, 11:35 PM
I checked the team list...was Mark Austin his opponent?

Feel like without checking it might’ve been Roughy?

jeemak
25-06-2024, 01:10 AM
Both should have stayed on the list for longer and changed our destiny. Just like every other tall we've discarded.

MrMahatma
25-06-2024, 08:20 AM
I thought the same watching them play the Dees. They’re gonna get a scalp soon and we’re the team that loves to get rolled by the lower sides. I’d almost rather we were playing Carlton this week.

The Pie Man
25-06-2024, 10:46 AM
Feel like without checking it might’ve been Roughy?

That’s how I remember it - against whatever judgment I have he was a decent defender at Collingwood, but was he slow tracking a lead

Happy Days
25-06-2024, 11:18 AM
Both should have stayed on the list for longer and changed our destiny. Just like every other tall we've discarded.

Are we stupid?

Mantis
25-06-2024, 11:47 AM
That’s how I remember it - against whatever judgment I have he was a decent defender at Collingwood, but was he slow tracking a lead

He was also playing with a bung shoulder in this game and could hardly get his arm above his head.

Bigdog
25-06-2024, 01:40 PM

Carlisle?s 8 was the best 8 goal game I?ve ever seen. Marked everything.

The other two would be Shultz and kennedy.

comrade
25-06-2024, 05:12 PM
Carlisle?s 8 was the best 8 goal game I?ve ever seen. Marked everything.

The other two would be Shultz and kennedy.

That game cemented my eternal burning hatred for Essendon supporters. When the final siren went, a middle aged bloke bedecked in Bombers gear got up in my face and repeatedly screamed ?1954? until he almost burst a blood vessel.

bornadog
25-06-2024, 05:17 PM
That game cemented my eternal burning hatred for Essendon supporters. When the final siren went, a middle aged bloke bedecked in Bombers gear got up in my face and repeatedly screamed ?1954? until he almost burst a blood vessel.

They are awful supporters. Hopefully they drop out of the 8 in the next 9 weeks.

Grantysghost
25-06-2024, 05:20 PM
They are awful supporters. Hopefully they drop out of the 8 in the next 9 weeks.
They are the worst absolutely unparallelled.

I have trauma from Windy Hill around 83. On the train back to Williamstown and drunk dons fans in all the gear were abusing my mum and threatening to throw my older brother from the train.
We had to get off many stops early and walk as my mum sobbed.
My dad, who was not to be messed with spent a fair while with my uncle and a few choice weapons looking up and down for them.
Lucky they weren't found.

Edit : it was this game yuk https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6816

jeemak
25-06-2024, 05:26 PM

The preseason game of 2008 at Docklands is what did it for me. I've never seen a bunch of wankers gloat and enjoy a preseason game as much as Bombres supporters did that day.

Sedat
25-06-2024, 05:34 PM
They have a soft as butter draw. They should actually finish top 4.

Happy Days
25-06-2024, 05:44 PM
They have a soft as butter draw. They should actually finish top 4.

Finish top 4 > get destroyed by Sydney week 1 > lose to the mighty Western Bulldogs week two after Cody Weightman kicks 11 goals all from free kicks

Grantysghost
25-06-2024, 05:56 PM
Finish top 4 > get destroyed by Sydney week 1 > lose to the mighty Western Bulldogs week two after Cody Weightman kicks 11 goals all from free kicks
This is what drives me this season.

jazzadogs
25-06-2024, 06:00 PM

Some days I remember that their best chance of winning a final in the past 20 years was destroyed by a Cody Weightman masterclass. They're good days.

josie
25-06-2024, 06:05 PM

I have trauma from Windy Hill around 83. On the train back to Williamstown and drunk dons fans in all the gear were abusing my mum and threatening to throw my older brother from the train.
My dad, who was not to be messed with spent a fair while with my uncle and a few choice weapons looking up and down for them.

Edit : it was this game yuk https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6816

Geez GG, i can understand your hatred after that. Some folks really need to grow up & get a life.

Bulldog Joe
25-06-2024, 06:17 PM

Not sure I want them out of the 8 completely.
The last live squiggle https://live.squiggle.com.au/# has them finishing 6th and playing us to lose another final and get beyond 20 years finals victory drought.

I could probably live with that.

Grantysghost
25-06-2024, 06:20 PM
Geez GG, i can understand your hatred after that. Some folks really need to grow up & get a life.
It was one of those child hood trauma events. It's hard to explain the 80s as a dog's fan. We were so second class.

bornadog
25-06-2024, 06:22 PM

Mongrels

It was one of those child hood trauma events. It's hard to explain the 80s as a dog's fan. We were so second class.

We only ever went there with a whole bunch of us - hated Windy Hill.

josie
25-06-2024, 06:29 PM

Makes 2016 that much more special.

I do recall in school playground when kids were swapping footy cards that no one wanted Footscray player cards. Then again I grew up in SE burbs/the sticks and had no interest in footy back then.

Grantysghost
25-06-2024, 06:40 PM

I do recall in school playground when kids were swapping footy cards that no one wanted Footscray player cards. Then again I grew up in SE burbs/the sticks and had no interest in footy back then.That's why being a Dogs fan is cool. Anyone can be mainstream...

My big club friends always hanging shit on the crowds.

I hate crowds. I love it when there's 25k at marvel. I can move around, small queues.
Tell me one advantage to a big crowd other than pumping up your tiny ego.

Finals. I can get big crowds then.

bornadog
25-06-2024, 06:41 PM

I do recall in school playground when kids were swapping footy cards that no one wanted Footscray player cards. Then again I grew up in SE burbs/the sticks and had no interest in footy back then.

I grew up in West Sunshine, and it wasn't much better.

The club use to send around junior memberships and every home game the card was given to someone to use. I was the only one in my class (11 years old) that put up my hand and took two cards, one for me and a mate.

We jumped on the train on Saturday and went to Western Oval on our own :eek: I remember many fights after people got sloshed, those days you could take your own beer to the game. You wouldn't let your kids these days go on their own.

When I started working, would be lucky to have one Dogs supporter in the company.

The only place I found a couple of supporters, was when I worked with GVGjr on a big project - he worked for the company, and I was representing the Software house. Over 300 on the project and probably a few Doggies supporters.

azabob
25-06-2024, 07:02 PM

For mine that is why I hold Beveridge and Bontempelli in such high regard and why the question on Bontempelli status within our club is so relevant now, more than ever.

Grantysghost
25-06-2024, 09:25 PM
For mine that is why I hold Beveridge and Bontempelli in such high regard and why the question on Bontempelli status within our club is so relevant now, more than ever.
And why Chris Grant to me is the Bulldogs.

He doesn't want the accolades.

But he was the best player in the game and stayed.

We need to keep punching ourselves in the face and saying no Grant, no Griffen, no Bont

azabob
26-06-2024, 08:25 AM
And why Chris Grant to me is the Bulldogs.

He doesn't want the accolades.

But he was the best player in the game and stayed.

We need to keep punching ourselves in the face and saying no Grant, no Griffen, no Bont

What do you mean Grant does not want the accolades?

Bulldog Revolution
26-06-2024, 05:09 PM

But to be fair - it was the era before the salary cap and we just didn't have the budget of the older established clubs who bought stars from the SANFL and WAFL. Even when the cap was introduced there was a lot of cheating by bigger clubs

But yes, we likely could have been more professional.