PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs V Blues - Round 18, Sat 13/7/24 Marvel Stadium 4:35PM AEST

Pages : 1 [2]

weltschmerz
13-07-2024, 09:57 PM
Best game we've played in years.

Eastdog
13-07-2024, 10:17 PM
Fantastic win today. The atmosphere at Marvel was electric today with a great crowd of 45K.

I was nervous going into this one with number of key players out and one Treloar being a late out.

Great pressure and effort today from the team. It would have nudged over 200 at times the pressure.

Bailey Dale was really good today. That goal he scored was great. JUH had a great game which he was due. Rhylee West is a great one up forward.

I thought English was much better compared to what he has been of late today.

Our defence held up really well with Khamis and Lobb doing really well to hold out Curnow and MacKay.

We know how tough the competition is and we need to enjoy this win today against a team who has been right in the top 4 all year in Carlton.

We are in with a shot and need to head down to Geelong next week believing we can win. I prefer going in as underdogs as we do best when we are.

Go Bulldogs!

G-Mo77
13-07-2024, 10:17 PM
I don?t know about all of you but that is as invested as I?ve been been in a game in forever. Felt like I was out there.

Same mate. I was pretty emotional post game, don't know why but this one felt very special.

Rocket Science
13-07-2024, 10:25 PM
This team, Jesus H Christ.

Insert SopranosJustWhenIThoughtIWasOut.gif

Tag yourself ...

https://i.ibb.co/PFySYBr/it-s-over.png (https://ibb.co/sb4BPLg)

Go_Dogs
13-07-2024, 10:27 PM
Just finishing the second quarter.

That free against Buku that led to a Curnow goal seemed a bit soft. Protected species. Naughton never gets that as a free.

The Poulter goal - great kick into him by McNeil, who was also the player who got in the way of Curnow snaring an easy mark at the other end to start the chain, and then sprinted forward to follow the ball leading to the goal assist. I know his miss in the last could’ve been costly (but also really rated his intercept after that) but he’s doing some important things that aren’t always standing out and based on the bits I’ve seen so far, he’s been solid.

Happy Days
13-07-2024, 10:30 PM
Tag yourself ...

You better believe I’m sunglasses Bevo.

The Adelaide Connection
13-07-2024, 10:54 PM
If you are going to drive over for a game, this is the type you want.

Freaking awesome.

Can?t wait to get home on Tuesday to watch a replay.

Grantysghost
13-07-2024, 11:00 PM
Tag yourself ...

I'm 3 o clock Bevo.

macca
13-07-2024, 11:07 PM

Freaking awesome.

You can watch it I think at the end of the round, they have the full match afl on the afl website.
100% thats what I will be doing after work on Monday.

jeemak
13-07-2024, 11:07 PM

Freaking awesome.

Stoked for you!

Eastdog
13-07-2024, 11:18 PM

Freaking awesome.

So happy it was a great one for you TAC. Statement win and we are in the finals race.

Warrnambulldog
13-07-2024, 11:25 PM
When the whips were cracking? Sam Darcy was huge. Felt like he was the All Australian ruck in our side, his getting some real presence about him

SonofScray
13-07-2024, 11:59 PM
Terrific win that affirms some of the positives that have emerged from this season.

Loved West’s and JUH goals that came quickly after Carlton scored to keep the pressure building. Snuffed out momentum. Curnow had a chance to tear us a new one with the amount of shots he had, but team defence and the pressure applied by Buku made life difficult for him.

In a tight game the performances of West, JUH, Cody and Buku tipped it in our favour IMO.

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 12:06 AM
Great atmosphere at the grouund today. Such a relief to win a tight contest which I thought we deserved to win after controlling large patches of the game.

Just one of those games where you felt if we could hang on for the win it meant more than four points. We must build so much belief from that win today. It was a real team effort. We didn't have a dominant midfielder and everyone just played their role.

I felt we really made it hard for them to move the ball from their back half. Great team defence. A few times they got through and they got good looks or goals, but for large stretches we had the ball camped in our forward half and probably should have taken more chances, especially in that first quarter.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 12:11 AM
Congested pedestrian exit along La Trobe-being rained upon. Who cares? Go Dogs!!🐶 🐶 🐶

Saw the rain, and decided to go to the bar with an old woofer

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 12:13 AM
Cody with the hanger, right in front of the faithful.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSWTLF1XAAA4a-9?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

bornadog
14-07-2024, 12:17 AM

Freaking awesome.

Come over anytime, you brought the luck

kruder
14-07-2024, 12:21 AM
Has Garcia been brought on as as sub yet?;)

Grantysghost
14-07-2024, 12:22 AM
Ha. He's still sitting there.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 12:22 AM

Maybe we didn't need him so saved him to play tomorrow.

kruder
14-07-2024, 12:24 AM
Maybe we didn't need him so saved him to play tomorrow.

Yeah I just feel for the kid, very unlucky not to be playing seniors and then left on the bench all game when Gags was very clearly up against it when playing midfield.

Rocket Science
14-07-2024, 12:34 AM
One day, someone's gonna ask you where you were when we stole that game against a couple of Coleman winners with a defensive spine of Buku Khamis and Rory Lobb.

The Adelaide Connection
14-07-2024, 12:37 AM
You can watch it I think at the end of the round, they have the full match afl on the afl website.
100% thats what I will be doing after work on Monday.

I?ve got Kayo and my iPad here, but this one deserves box office and I want the first viewing to be on my cinema screen in the recliner.

The Adelaide Connection
14-07-2024, 12:42 AM
So happy it was a great one for you TAC. Statement win and we are in the finals race.

Cheers all for the kind words. I usually get over for 2-3 games a year and I generally have a pretty high strike rate.

It?s the games in Adelaide that traditionally haven?t gone so well- prelims aside.

Mofra
14-07-2024, 12:46 AM
One day, someone's gonna ask you where you were when we stole that game against a couple of Coleman winners with a defensive spine of Buku Khamis and Rory Lobb.
Roberts/Hamling vibes against $2m+ in forwards in 2016

Go_Dogs
14-07-2024, 07:37 AM
Serious question.

Have our best two wins this season come without one of our top 3 midfielders playing?

And have our best 3 wins come without Naughton?

And if I?m right, what does that mean?

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 10:41 AM
Michael Voss has now made the list

"I felt like when Ugle-Hagan’s hands weren’t up at their highest point, taking a strong grab, they were in Weiter’s back"

Mantis
14-07-2024, 10:59 AM

"I felt like when Ugle-Hagan’s hands weren’t up at their highest point, taking a strong grab, they were in Weiter’s back"

Hope the salt tastes nice Vossy.

Weitering was pushing just as much, maybe more than his opponents.

Grantysghost
14-07-2024, 11:02 AM

Always been a flog

Go_Dogs
14-07-2024, 11:09 AM

Imagine if Curnow got treated like Naughton! He’d be on 5 goals for the year!!!!

macca
14-07-2024, 11:10 AM

I found Voss's demeanor at the press conference a tad bit disrespectful. We were clearly the better side in the pressure aspects and he did not really acknowledge that.

They got gifted at least 3 goals , 2 I recall really peeved myself and the supporters:
- one for the Dale incorrect disposal
- Bukus soft free on Curnow

What does he mean by 'marginal'?

I think his team has holes on the list and he knows the mental fragility of his team when Walsh or Cripps are not performing.

GWS were 40 points down last week and they swung it around with massive pressure from all their players, at one stage they got to a 30 point lead.

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 11:17 AM
Hope the salt tastes nice Vossy.

Weitering was pushing just as much, maybe more than his opponents.

It's ridiculous if he is suggesting his defenders or forwards don't do it.

Testekill
14-07-2024, 11:27 AM
Key defender Rory Lobb is fascinating, nobody could have expected it to work but he has been really impressive since the move and is giving it his all.
Even if he decides he'd rather move to a new club to be a forward he's not sooking and is instead cracking in.

Testekill
14-07-2024, 11:28 AM

You know that it burns Voss when people point out how soft the umpiring that Curnow gets is so he has to point out "well no Ugle-Hagan got to push out as much as he wanted"

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 12:06 PM
We can’t have made any body contact with Weitering because he didn’t pretend to be injured and go into the rooms at any point.

Man that game yesterday. That’s the stuff that you live for.

kruder
14-07-2024, 12:14 PM
Key defender Rory Lobb is fascinating, nobody could have expected it to work but he has been really impressive since the move and is giving it his all.
Even if he decides he'd rather move to a new club to be a forward he's not sooking and is instead cracking in.

Lengths ahead of say a Schache experiment already, he looks to be moving with speed, competitive and takes the ball at its highest point. He just needs to go a little less aggressive with his kicks but yeah he is now our second best defender just wish Jones was back with him next week.

Mofra
14-07-2024, 12:18 PM
Lengths ahead of say a Schache experiment already, he looks to be moving with speed, competitive and takes the ball at its highest point. He just needs to go a little less aggressive with his kicks but yeah he is now our second best defender just wish Jones was back with him next week.
In Lobb's favour was his high TOG for many years now meaning he can stay on the paddock close to 100% TOG and if he's having a poor game, we know he can play forward or ruck. A genuine plan B option.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 12:26 PM
As an aside was that tiny guy in the long sleeve who turned it over every time he touched it the same Jordan Boyd you guys were worried that we missed out on?

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 12:53 PM
Going to the game yesterday, I said to my Dad that I would be happy if we just showed that we had an appetite for the contest and we made a game of it. It would be OK if we lost.

Then a few minutes in, after Owies got a dubious HTB decion. Kicks the goal and then carries on like a complete and utter w%^&$ over celebrating like they had just won the Grand Final. I completely changed. I wanted to desperately beat these clowns.

One of the more satisfying wins in the last few years.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 12:54 PM
Watching the replay now. Hope none of you had the misfortune of listening to this Carlton cheer squad pretending to be a commentary team live.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 12:55 PM
Going to the game yesterday, I said to my Dad that I would be happy if we just showed that we had an appetite for the contest and we made a game of it. It would be OK if we lost.

Then a few minutes in, after Owies got a dubious HTB decion. Kicks the goal and then carries on like a complete and utter w%^&$ over celebrating like they had just won the Grand Final. I completely changed. I wanted to desperately beat these clowns.

One of the more satisfying wins in the last few years.

When Owies missed that goal I gave him an actual 30 second spray which I’m sure everyone around me thought was very funny and cool. I feel like I actually helped the team win yesterday.

Grantysghost
14-07-2024, 12:57 PM
Owies is the world's biggest, actually... second biggest flog. The other is lucky his head isn't bigger.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 02:01 PM
Watching the replay now. Hope none of you had the misfortune of listening to this Carlton cheer squad pretending to be a commentary team live.

In the last 5 minutes Cripps has been called all of:

“Crippa”
“Paddy”
“The Bull”
“The Big Man”
“Big Crippa”
“The Man”
“The Big Bull”
“Big Fella”

Maybe just tell him your hotel room number while you’re at it.

Mofra
14-07-2024, 02:22 PM

“Crippa”
“Paddy”
“The Bull”
“The Big Man”
“Big Crippa”
“The Man”
“The Big Bull”
“Big Fella”

Missing: Victorious

josie
14-07-2024, 02:30 PM
When Owies missed that goal I gave him an actual 30 second spray which I’m sure everyone around me thought was very funny and cool. I feel like I actually helped the team win yesterday.

Happy Days are here again, the skies are red, white & blue again.

Happy Days
14-07-2024, 02:35 PM
Missing: Victorious

Cripps played well so on the Official Carlton Scoring System they actually won.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 02:37 PM
Owies is your quintessential ordinary player who gets to play in front of big parochial crowds and thinks he's awesome because of it.

azabob
14-07-2024, 02:46 PM
Cripps played well so on the Official Carlton Scoring System they actually won.

You won’t believe me but a Carlton supporter behind me was calling Cripps Mr.September in the second half. Mind you you also said Cripps v Bontempelli is not a debate because Cripps has a Brownlow.

azabob
14-07-2024, 03:03 PM

“Crippa”
“Paddy”
“The Bull”
“The Big Man”
“Big Crippa”
“The Man”
“The Big Bull”
“Big Fella”

You missed

“Skipper” and “big dogs (with Curnow)

I am surprised there was no Big Poppa Pump

Go_Dogs
14-07-2024, 03:11 PM
You won’t believe me but a Carlton supporter behind me was calling Cripps Mr.September in the second half. Mind you you also said Cripps v Bontempelli is not a debate because Cripps has a Brownlow.

Lol.

At least they weren’t calling Charlie that. Would’ve been more inappropriate I suppose. Lots of Mr June’s in their side.

mighty_west
14-07-2024, 03:15 PM
Serious question.

Have our best two wins this season come without one of our top 3 midfielders playing?

And have our best 3 wins come without Naughton?

And if I?m right, what does that mean?

Perhaps a few things, Richards played more time in the middle, Westy at times and a few others, we seem to rotate more than with our usual starting line up and i believe that is healthy for us being more unpredictable.

Without Naughton, perhaps 3 talls really is one too many, in an ideal world one plays mainly higher up the ground but you find most times all edge back close to goals jumping for the same ball.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:16 PM
As an aside was that tiny guy in the long sleeve who turned it over every time he touched it the same Jordan Boyd you guys were worried that we missed out on?
The very same

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:21 PM

?Crippa?
?Paddy?
?The Bull?
?The Big Man?
?Big Crippa?
?The Man?
?The Big Bull?
?Big Fella?

Maybe just tell him your hotel room number while you?re at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZBoaFPGKcA&ab_channel=Michael

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:23 PM
Perhaps a few things, Richards played more time in the middle, Westy at times and a few others, we seem to rotate more than with our usual starting line up and i believe that is healthy for us being more unpredictable.

Without Naughton, perhaps 3 talls really is one too many, in an ideal world one plays mainly higher up the ground but you find most times all edge back close to goals jumping for the same ball.

When Darcy went into the ruck, I don't think English was on the ground, so we only had JUH forward, which I found interesting

mighty_west
14-07-2024, 03:28 PM
Bloody great win, awesome to see Marra get back to his best and snagged a few which have done wonders for his confidence, Lobb very good again and hopefully can now just gain confidence with each game played down back, looking forward to seeing him and Jones string a few games together, the way Dale just somehow scoops the ball up on the run is unbelievable, so good also to have him back in form.

Well done Timmy as well, 2nd highest ranked player behind Cripps, that is the standard that is required on a weekly basis especially asking for such a big pay rise, thought Poulter played well also, interesting to see what we do with Coff if he keeps his body right and continues to get batter, does JOD miss out? Feel as though with Jones and Lobb back can only play one of Coff, JOD or Buku.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9Re0Rh8RA&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

mighty_west
14-07-2024, 03:32 PM
When Darcy went into the ruck, I don't think English was on the ground, so we only had JUH forward, which I found interesting

Yeah that is really interesting, obviously easier to see what is taking place on the ground all times being at the ground as you miss a lot of that on TV, it's probably good to mix things up at certain times and go a bit smaller, as long as we don't just bomb it in, although Flea doesn't mind sitting on players heads.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 03:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9Re0Rh8RA&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

How's Cody's maniacal attack on the football to ensure a contest leading up to Marra's second goal. Also loved the boos from the Carlton fans after thinking Marra was given a free for too high unfairly.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSW9gbbXMAEF_dP?format=jpg&name=900x900

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 04:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GSW9gbbXMAEF_dP?format=jpg&name=900x900

To be fair. We were all thinking exactly the same thing.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 04:29 PM
To be fair. We were all thinking exactly the same thing.

Narc.

angelopetraglia
14-07-2024, 04:51 PM
Narc.

Ha ....

GVGjr
14-07-2024, 05:05 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but apparently the cameras located GrantyGhost after Marra had kicked his 2nd goal.
He really gets into his footy.

https://x.com/i/status/1812114757295444050

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-07-2024, 05:50 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but apparently the cameras located GrantyGhost after Marra had kicked his 2nd goal.

Gary you've posted a lot of great stuff over the years. Good to see you're still at the top of your game.

Hotdog60
14-07-2024, 06:00 PM

Was that when McNeil marked it just outside the goal square?

The Underdog
14-07-2024, 06:03 PM
Was that when McNeil marked it just outside the goal square?

That’s how the McNeil-ites react when he’s selected

jeemak
14-07-2024, 06:30 PM
Footy Fix: Undermanned, outgunned, undaunted - the trick play that saw Bevo's bold Bulldogs conquer Carlton

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/07/14/footy-fix-undermanned-outgunned-undaunted-the-trick-play-that-saw-bevos-bold-bulldogs-conquer-carlton/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0BMAABHb-HKWbKNHrBqTst-n0SsY8dbyxH_RFMsAghT08WsZnug-Xl9ygyB8_cTA_aem_dVU0N7yYe5lPn7XFxhihng

Contains a good breakdown of the Bont/ Jamarra goals from similar set plays.

Grantysghost
14-07-2024, 06:59 PM

Hahaaaaaaa. Classic!

I hadn't even noticed the massive gust of wind that made him miss I was so enraptured!

hujsh
14-07-2024, 07:05 PM
Footy Fix: Undermanned, outgunned, undaunted - the trick play that saw Bevo's bold Bulldogs conquer Carlton

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/07/14/footy-fix-undermanned-outgunned-undaunted-the-trick-play-that-saw-bevos-bold-bulldogs-conquer-carlton/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0BMAABHb-HKWbKNHrBqTst-n0SsY8dbyxH_RFMsAghT08WsZnug-Xl9ygyB8_cTA_aem_dVU0N7yYe5lPn7XFxhihng

Contains a good breakdown of the Bont/ Jamarra goals from similar set plays.

Not the point of the article but I did enjoy the description of West

"fast building a reputation as the craftiest small forward you had no idea was as good as he is"

bornadog
14-07-2024, 09:34 PM

Hilarious. GG really does support Marra

Grantysghost
14-07-2024, 10:02 PM
He's a lovely lad. Very fond of him reminds me of my nephew.
So glad he had a game like that. Be great for his confidence.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 10:06 PM
He's a lovely lad. Very fond of him reminds me of my nephew.
So glad he had a game like that. Be great for his confidence.

Hopefully he keeps it up. I think his confidence is back

Uninformed
14-07-2024, 10:14 PM

Surely he could show a little more enthusiasm than that!

Uninformed
14-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or on the training thread.

But, did any of the training watchers notice a difference in training methods that would explain the great level of desperation we showed yesterday.

There was probably some adjustment to the method in the midfield to explain how we moved from being dominated by Port to besting the Blues (whose mids are probably better than Ports.)

But the difference that stood out to me was the level of desperation and intensity of our defensive/pressure game all over the field.

Just wondering if there was something identifiable in our training?

jeemak
14-07-2024, 10:50 PM
Carlton have given up the second most scores from the contest/ clearance across the season. Cripps, Cera and Walsh have some things in common with our guys, but more severe I guess.

All of our good football has seen quality full ground defence like we showed yesterday, and while Carlton did us by a small margin in clearance we just seemed a bit more desperate without it than they were and made them pay because of that difference.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 11:52 PM
Just saw on Frist Crack David King justify Pittonet's position in the Carlton side by showing all the times he won the hitouts with Bulldogs players taking the ball away from the contest.

He then said his mids need to do better with it. Not sure it's a great argument either way.

jazzadogs
15-07-2024, 12:22 AM
Just saw on Frist Crack David King justify Pittonet's position in the Carlton side by showing all the times he won the hitouts with Bulldogs players taking the ball away from the contest.

He then said his mids need to do better with it. Not sure it's a great argument either way.

What I'm hearing is Pittonet and our mids already have a strong connection, and Jeenak is trying to get rid of English so he can bring in Pittonet!

jeemak
15-07-2024, 12:54 AM
Watching the replay now, and Marra could have had a much better start than the first quarter turned out.

Also, McNeil did an awesome kick to space at half forward to allow Richards and the rest of the cavalry to come to neutralise a contest after running out of options on the run out of half back. He's a smart footballer, just needs to keep working on his polish.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 01:10 AM
The Sanders mark defensive side of the centre circle and handball to Dale onto Gallagher which resulted in a turnover goal was purely on Dale who demanded it with a wall of Carlton players directly in front of him but behind Sanders' back.

I was furious with Dale at the time but in retrospect absolutely admire what he was trying to do to get the side running.

As an aside immediately after that Boyd for Carlton went into the rooms for a check on his leg, but thankfully managed to get back on the field.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 01:27 AM
The thing about the Dale goal in the second is the coolness and the fact it went flat and two rows back after he was tackled while kicking it from forty-five. Amazing.

The VDM turnover from his conceded free was there, but his opponent had been scragging him leading up to that moment unfairly. A lot of that happens without penalty.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 01:57 AM
Not only was the Curnow hold against Khamis BS, it happened 1-1.5m outside the fifty. Khamis was called back to 1-1.5m inside the fifty or went there himself, and then Curnow kicked it while Khamis was being forced to concentrate on the mark by the umpire.

The AFL is riddled with poor rules and interpretations.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 02:31 AM
A great bit of commentary bias towards the stars was when Bramble kicked the ball out of defence along the ground as a straight ball to Walsh, who fumbled, and Huddo calls it a cruel bounce after the pressure arrived.

Pervert.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 02:42 AM
Cody flying for the ball and it resulting in a ground ball was maniacal, and helped get Marra his second goal massively.

He might make it.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 03:23 AM
The JUH kick on his right to West and West's finish were the two best kicks of the game.

JUH will never be Buddy, but Buddy was never able to hit a guy on the tit 55m away on his opposite. Outside of the easy race based comparisons there's some decent football ones to consider.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 03:27 AM
The Curnow goal off the throw in was Libba's fault. He's looking directly at him but didn't move to block the space.

dog town
15-07-2024, 06:01 AM
The JUH kick on his right to West and West's finish were the two best kicks of the game.

JUH will never be Buddy, but Buddy was never able to hit a guy on the tit 55m away on his opposite. Outside of the easy race based comparisons there's some decent football ones to consider.
Jamarra has really struggled with his ball use and taking the best option from ground ball gathers. Saturday needs to be his template now, take the easy option and don’t invite pressure.

Hotdog60
15-07-2024, 06:45 AM
Wow Jee you really are a night owl or a very troubled insomniac. Thanks for the insights. :)

jeemak
15-07-2024, 07:05 AM
Wow Jee you really are a night owl or a very troubled insomniac. Thanks for the insights. :)

I prefer ramblings rather than insights. And I'm troubled for many reasons but not that one.

macca
15-07-2024, 08:50 AM
AFL website now has the full match replay

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1171084/match-replay-western-bulldogs-v-carlton?videoId=1171084&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1720905960001

JanLorMill
15-07-2024, 09:01 AM
The Curnow goal off the throw in was Libba's fault. He's looking directly at him but didn't move to block the space.
The one where English was out muscled in the ruck contest by Cripps?

azabob
15-07-2024, 09:08 AM

Either way English was poor in that passage of play. The boundary throw in and the lack of follow up after it.

GVGjr
15-07-2024, 09:24 AM
Wasn't sure whether to ask this here or on the training thread.

But, did any of the training watchers notice a difference in training methods that would explain the great level of desperation we showed yesterday.

There was probably some adjustment to the method in the midfield to explain how we moved from being dominated by Port to besting the Blues (whose mids are probably better than Ports.)

But the difference that stood out to me was the level of desperation and intensity of our defensive/pressure game all over the field.

Just wondering if there was something identifiable in our training?

It was a tough week on the track with so many players in the rehab area or not on the track at all. A one stage they had 3 small groups of 9 or 10 players being pitted against each other over the the ground size and Alex Johnson was on the ground to help make up the numbers.

I can't recall them doing anything much in terms of tackling but there was a couple of sessions where they worked on congested footy. The other thing I think I called out on the Thursday update was L.Smith and English doing a bit of work with Lade on the rucking and that shorter run up that Tim employed against Carlton was the focus.

azabob
15-07-2024, 09:38 AM
The thing about the Dale goal in the second is the coolness and the fact it went flat and two rows back after he was tackled while kicking it from forty-five. Amazing.

The whole passage of play was a thing of beauty. It is right up there with one of the best goals from a pure class perspective (not freakish).

Firstly, Dale read the play and intercepted with a defensive spoil,

Then followed up with a handball receive from Liberatore,
Then sidestepped a Carlton opponent and within two steps was tackled again and still managed to kick it flush and it never looked like missing.

Then considering the stage of the game - the scoreline was one goal; seven behinds. Such an important goal to nail from a team lift perspective.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 09:53 AM

That's gonna happen from time to time, but the Blues set up an open passage for Curnow to just blast through and Libba saw it and also ignored it.

Around forward stoppages, relying on ruck advantage to win the contest and stop a score is about as smart as relying on safety vests to stop you getting run over by a forklift.

bornadog
15-07-2024, 10:05 AM
Either way English was poor in that passage of play. The boundary throw in and the lack of follow up after it.

The boundary throw in was pathetic - fell short

Go_Dogs
15-07-2024, 10:09 AM
Watching the replay now, and Marra could have had a much better start than the first quarter turned out.

Also, McNeil did an awesome kick to space at half forward to allow Richards and the rest of the cavalry to come to neutralise a contest after running out of options on the run out of half back. He's a smart footballer, just needs to keep working on his polish.

How dare you. McNeil defender!

bornadog
15-07-2024, 10:10 AM
How dare you. McNeil defender!

Jeenmak's account has been hacked by GG

Grantysghost
15-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Jeenmak's account has been hacked by GG

When you talk as much sh1t as I do, you have to be right once out of every 2000 posts.

Lachie is a very good little player. Got speed, aggression, works hard. He's a perfect 15-23 player.

These days you have to have the best "list cloggers", ergo someone with at least one elite trait (like speed).

Plus I've never lost faith (dont NARC EW).

bornadog
15-07-2024, 10:14 AM
When you talk as much sh1t as I do, you have to be right once out of every 2000 posts.

Lachie is a very good little player. Got speed, aggression, works hard. He's a perfect 15-23 player.

These days you have to have the best "list cloggers", ergo someone with at least one elite trait (like speed).

Plus I've never lost faith (dont NARC EW).

I like Lachie, he just needs to nail those set shots and not panic with the ball in hand.

azabob
15-07-2024, 10:53 AM
The boundary throw in was pathetic - fell short

Fair call. It seemed to happen a lot during the match.

Hot Dogs
15-07-2024, 11:22 AM
AFL website now has the full match replay

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1171084/match-replay-western-bulldogs-v-carlton?videoId=1171084&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1720905960001

Thank you. I guess my work will have to go on hold for a bit longer.

JanLorMill
15-07-2024, 12:28 PM
That's gonna happen from time to time, but the Blues set up an open passage for Curnow to just blast through and Libba saw it and also ignored it.

Around forward stoppages, relying on ruck advantage to win the contest and stop a score is about as smart as relying on safety vests to stop you getting run over by a forklift.
Gonna happen? Our best ruck beaten by a smaller non ruck in our defensive 50?
We scored from forward stoppages a number of times Saturday but it wasn?t because their ruck didn?t win or half the contest.

angelopetraglia
15-07-2024, 04:31 PM
Coaches in alignment on the votes. Same top four players. Only deviating on the 5th best on ground.

9 Dale (5+4)
9 Marra (4+5)
6 Cripps (3+3)
4 Westy (2+2)
1 Weitering (1+0)
1 Bont (0+1)

comrade
15-07-2024, 05:13 PM
Just finished the replay. Bailey Dale is some goddamn footballer.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2024, 12:19 AM
Just finished the replay. Bailey Dale is some goddamn footballer.

I suggest he is going better now than when he was AA.

Much harder in the contest and has learnt to deal with a tag much more effectively.

Dry Rot
16-07-2024, 12:42 AM
Sadly, I was caught up with carer duties on Saturday afternoon and most of the weekend and missed seeing the game. Sounds like a cracker. I will enjoy reading this game thread.

But the big question for me still remains.

How can we play so poorly one week against Port and then turn it on like this the following game?

bornadog
16-07-2024, 10:15 AM
Bevo’s post-game speech from Saturday night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgTfObKc0CQ&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

comrade
16-07-2024, 10:40 AM
Capable of anything is true. Both good and bad.