PDA

View Full Version : AFL Game Day R17 - 2024

GVGjr
05-07-2024, 08:26 AM
Lets keep the non Bulldog discussion for the round to this thread.

Friday
Collingwood vs Essendon

Saturday
North Melbourne vs Gold Coast
Geelong vs Hawthorn
GWS vs Carlton
Fremantle vs Richmond

Sunday
Melbourne vs West Coast
StKilda vs Sydney
Brisbane vs Adelaide

Eastdog
05-07-2024, 10:14 AM
Massive game tonight between Collingwood and Essendon.

Geelong v Hawthorn will be interesting.

Interesting to see how the Giants go at home against Carlton who are on the road.

Rocket Science
05-07-2024, 12:37 PM
Having beaten no one of consequence I'm of the firm belief Essington 'bout to S-L-I-I-I-D-E baby.

I'm a spiteful man so I find this pleasing.

Happy Days
05-07-2024, 01:03 PM
Having beaten no one of consequence I'm of the firm belief Essington 'bout to S-L-I-I-I-D-E baby.

What do you mean they beat the expected score champion and in the premiership window Western Bulldogs.

Rocket Science
05-07-2024, 02:34 PM
What do you mean they beat the expected score champion and in the premiership window Western Bulldogs.

Yeah but we were missing Harmes mate.

Happy Days
05-07-2024, 02:44 PM
Yeah but we were missing Harmes mate.

Define “missing”

GVGjr
05-07-2024, 03:28 PM

I'm genuinely torn with this game. Probably prefer a draw and failing that an Essendon loss by a fair margin.

G-Mo77
05-07-2024, 08:22 PM
Please Collingwood beat this team by 60+. They're sooking after last week was sickening.

Testekill
05-07-2024, 08:23 PM
I can't believe that a team who benefitted from an early soft draw is being found out

Grantysghost
05-07-2024, 08:24 PM
Please Collingwood beat this team by 60+. They're sooking after last week was sickening.
Only 60?

jeemak
05-07-2024, 08:33 PM
It's bullshit that the umpire can engage the guy on the mark, make him move sideways, or backwards or whatever and concentrate on doing so, and then at the same time let the guy with the footy just run off/ around and take a shot for goal.

bornadog
05-07-2024, 09:28 PM
It's bullshit that the umpire can engage the guy on the mark, make him move sideways, or backwards or whatever and concentrate on doing so, and then at the same time let the guy with the footy just run off/ around and take a shot for goal.

I have noticed this alot lately where the umpire is obsessed with stand, stand, stand and in the meantime the guy with the ball is not in the right position and then taken off.

azabob
05-07-2024, 09:53 PM

I have noticed this alot lately where the umpire is obsessed with stand, stand, stand and in the meantime the guy with the ball is not in the right position and then taken off.

Mick Malthouse agrees with both of you.

Grantysghost
05-07-2024, 09:57 PM
Pies sh1t or Essendon good?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2024, 10:22 PM
It's a close year but I reckon the Pies are about done. Stalwarts are OK but have dropped a level, injuries have hurt, and their forward half looks weak.

They're vulnerable in the next month, would be a good time to play them and basically end their season.

I think Essendon are solid but they ain't the third best team in it.

jeemak
05-07-2024, 10:24 PM
Mick Malthouse agrees with both of you.

This induces conflict within me.

jeemak
05-07-2024, 10:25 PM

Brad Scott can genuinely coach and get ordinary lists playing good football for him. He has taken less talented teams to prelims.

jeemak
05-07-2024, 10:27 PM
As an aside, and going back to a discussion in another thread, apparently 81K showed up tonight and the joint looked pretty much full. Compare how that on TV in comparison to the 79K or whatever that apparently rocked up to TOT vs. NUFC.

G-Mo77
05-07-2024, 10:40 PM

Hard to say. I watched it all and don't think Essendon were that great tonight. They beat the reigning preimers so we have to go with they're pretty good.

comrade
05-07-2024, 10:51 PM
Hate any game that Essendon wins but this gives us a chance to leap frog Collingwood. Let?s hope we grab it.

Grantysghost
05-07-2024, 11:11 PM
Hard to say. I watched it all and don't think Essendon were that great tonight. They beat the reigning preimers so we have to go with they're pretty good.
I’m starting to wonder if any team is good any more.

Weve diluted everyone so much it’s flip a coin most games. Guess that’s a good thing.

Blues at this point for mine, they might just win the flag. God I feel crook.

mjp
06-07-2024, 09:58 AM

Essendon would seem to be better with regards key position players which allowed their runners to run. It's cool that Bobby Hill, Lachie Shultz and Jeremy Cameron are the primary forward targets for Collingwood right now, but two of them are better as crumbers and the other is a half-back. Sure, Kruger kicked 2-goals...but both came when he was helping out in the ruck.

No doubt the Daicos-Crisp-Pendlebury-De Goey gang is a really good on-ball group...but most weeks (like last night) each midfield group will have some moments.

Collingwood 100% charge forward which is really hard to defend but - as we saw with Gold Coast last night, if you're prepared to pick then apart (how many uncontested marks did Essendon take??) then it really neutralises this as a strategy...

They could still win it but things had better start going 'right' for them or they will miss the 8 altogether.

Mofra
06-07-2024, 10:03 AM
Essendon would seem to be better with regards key position players which allowed their runners to run. It's cool that Bobby Hill, Lachie Shultz and Jeremy Cameron are the primary forward targets for Collingwood right now, but two of them are better as crumbers and the other is a half-back. Sure, Kruger kicked 2-goals...but both came when he was helping out in the ruck.

No doubt the Daicos-Crisp-Pendlebury-De Goey gang is a really good on-ball group...but most weeks (like last night) each midfield group will have some moments.

Collingwood 100% charge forward which is really hard to defend but - as we saw with Gold Coast last night, if you're prepared to pick then apart (how many uncontested marks did Essendon take??) then it really neutralises this as a strategy...

They could still win it but things had better start going 'right' for them or they will miss the 8 altogether.
I don't see how they can win without Mihocek. He's one of the most honest, selfless KPFs in the competition and absolutely vital for them. They better pray McStay gets back to anywhere decent form and even if he's a better player, Mihocek's style seems more valuable.

mjp
06-07-2024, 10:32 AM
I don't see how they can win without Mihocek. He's one of the most honest, selfless KPFs in the competition and absolutely vital for them. They better pray McStay gets back to anywhere decent form and even if he's a better player, Mihocek's style seems more valuable.

Well, Mihocek was out there last night.

Apparently.

Contributed donuts.

Sedat
06-07-2024, 10:53 AM
Who was 2nd best on ground last night behind Nick Daicos?

Happy Days
06-07-2024, 11:04 AM

Patrick “Paddy” “Crippa” Cripps.

G-Mo77
06-07-2024, 11:45 AM
I’m starting to wonder if any team is good any more.

Weve diluted everyone so much it’s flip a coin most games. Guess that’s a good thing.

Blues at this point for mine, they might just win the flag. God I feel crook.

I said it last year as well, on paper they have one of the, if not the best team in the league. That doesn't automatically win you the cup but if I was to pick a team right now it would be them. I think we'll see Sydeny come down a little over the next 4 - 5 weeks.

Who knows with Essendon. It doesn't seem like their time yet but if they continue to win and finish top 4 then who knows. Wouldn't it be great if they got the double chance and got bounced in straight sets. :D

bornadog
06-07-2024, 12:16 PM

Daicos 41.9% DE - he was pressured a lot into fluffying his disposals.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-07-2024, 03:55 PM
Go Kangas.

The Underdog
06-07-2024, 04:29 PM
Go Kangas.

They’ve really turned the corner. Watched the last quarter instead of our game. Very entertaining.

Now who can tell me who to support in the Bailey Smith cup? Geelong are favourites for him yeah, so “Go Hawks”?

HOSE B ROMERO
06-07-2024, 04:44 PM
well done north

kruder
06-07-2024, 09:23 PM
The giants have so many talented quick skilful small forwards on their list, they are young so inconsistent at this stage but look out going forward. Its frightening outside of Cody how well off the pace our batch of smalls are.

Happy Days
06-07-2024, 09:24 PM
Congratulations to my actual team North Melbourne. We are so back.

EasternWest
06-07-2024, 09:29 PM
The Giants pressure is off the charts at the moment. Absolutely hunting in packs.

Sedat
06-07-2024, 09:31 PM
Carlton 39 points up just before 1/4 time and now 35 points down less than an hour later. Their much hyped midfield has been given a real smack in the mouth by GWS.

kruder
06-07-2024, 09:36 PM
Carlton 39 points up just before 1/4 time and now 35 points down less than an hour later. Their much hyped midfield has been given a real smack in the mouth by GWS.

They are a different group with Toby playing well and Coniglio back in the side. Briggs having a break out year.

bornadog
06-07-2024, 09:37 PM

One of two times I want GWS to win, playing Carlton and Essendon cheating clubs

Happy Days
06-07-2024, 10:09 PM
Carlton are going to dog walk us so bad next week that I’m almost convinced we’ll actually win.

EasternWest
06-07-2024, 10:13 PM
Blues not done yet ay caramba

GVGjr
07-07-2024, 09:40 AM
Hardwicks presser the most calm and honest example of a coach getting the message across of what is wrong with his side I can recall.
Refreshing to see.

Happy Days
07-07-2024, 10:17 AM
Hardwicks presser the most calm and honest example of a coach getting the message across of what is wrong with his side I can recall.
Refreshing to see.

Yeah he was real as hell for that. Gold Coast are just as frustrating as us, it’s just that no one cares enough about them to comment.

Flamethrower
07-07-2024, 12:52 PM
Refreshing to see.

This is what Bevo seems to lack. He is great when the boys need someone to support them (eg Cody this week), but when they need the riot act read out to them I don't know if Bevo has it in him to whack the team between the eyes.

The team is coddled too much. It has resulted in a lazy, introverted football team.

bornadog
07-07-2024, 01:05 PM
Refreshing to see.

Can't stand the bloke.

merantau
07-07-2024, 02:25 PM
Melbourne have kicked 11.5 to half timeto lead by 49 points. They move the ball really well and have a lot of run all over the ground. Harley Reid has barely touched it and he's not being tagged.

GVGjr
07-07-2024, 03:15 PM
Can't stand the bloke.
Yep, the sausage chef is a of a bore but I did appreciate the way he answered the questions and put his players on notice. Backing it up with MC selections and that remains to be seen if he follows through.

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 03:52 PM
God I love Windsor for the Demons.

Got it all. Speed, endurance, kicks goals, defends.

Talk about evolution. They're really doing it.

With our slow midfield, not sure why we thought Sanders would be a better choice.

azabob
07-07-2024, 04:19 PM
God I love Windsor for the Demons.

Got it all. Speed, endurance, kicks goals, defends.

Talk about evolution. They're really doing it.

With our slow midfield, not sure why we thought Sanders would be a better choice.

Doing what? Beating the Eagles on their home deck in perfect conditions and by 9 goals.

Three games ago we destroyed Fremantle by a lot more goals than Melbourne beat the eagles.

Eagles are bottom 3 Dockers top 3.

You also it is way too early to compare Windsor and Sanders.

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 04:32 PM
Doing what? Beating the Eagles on their home deck in perfect conditions and by 9 goals.

Three games ago we destroyed Fremantle by a lot more goals than Melbourne beat the eagles.

Eagles are bottom 3 Dockers top 3.

You also it is way too early to compare Windsor and Sanders.

They are changing their side mid stride.

Loads of really talented kids being injected into their side and contributing.

Agree nothing to brag about v the Eagles.

Van Rooyen, Windsor, McVee, Tholstrup, Rivers, Turner all major contributors.

It's not too early! We compare kids from the same draft all the time. I'm ok doing that. I think Windsor suits the modern game better, i also think Sanders will be a good player.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-07-2024, 04:35 PM
Would you trade English compo to saints for Marshall?

azabob
07-07-2024, 04:50 PM
They are changing their side mid stride.

Loads of really talented kids being injected into their side and contributing.

Agree nothing to brag about v the Eagles.

Van Rooyen, Windsor, McVee, Tholstrup, Rivers, Turner all major contributors.

It's not too early! We compare kids from the same draft all the time. I'm ok doing that. I think Windsor suits the modern game better, i also think Sanders will be a good player.

Melbourne are the masters of list management and talent ID recently.

I would argue we are changing our team also.

Darcy = Van Rooyen
Sanders = Windsor
Freijah = McVee
Turner is the same age as JUH.
Gallagher = Tholstrup.

When we win our new players look ok, when we lose they do not. Exactly the same as Melbourne.

Rivers does not belong in that group though. He has played almost 100 games.

Funnily enough Melbourne supporters are just as frustrated as us!

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 05:14 PM
This is interesting the way the Swans are structuring up almost man on man (not quite) to stop the Saints chipping through them.

https://i.postimg.cc/5yd80nSG/20240707-170956.jpg (https://postimg.cc/XGLr1Khc)

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 05:15 PM
Melbourne are the masters of list management and talent ID recently.

I would argue we are changing our team also.

Darcy = Van Rooyen
Sanders = Windsor
Freijah = McVee
Turner is the same age as JUH.
Gallagher = Tholstrup.

When we win our new players look ok, when we lose they do not. Exactly the same as Melbourne.

Funnily enough Melbourne supporters are just as frustrated as us!

I put Rivers in there as he's changed role into the midfield and he's only 22.

Agree we are doing it, I just didn't realise they were. It's the double evolution. What bingo word are they using? Or are they even referring to it I need to find out.

EasternWest
07-07-2024, 05:17 PM
Would you trade English compo to saints for Marshall?

Yes.

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 05:26 PM
Heeney Brownlow gone.

He clocked Webster will have to be gone.

bornadog
07-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Saints coming, 3 points down

mjp
07-07-2024, 05:35 PM

LOL. Rivers = Richards - the half back who has gone into the mids.

bornadog
07-07-2024, 05:38 PM
Saints in front

bornadog
07-07-2024, 05:57 PM
Gutsy win by Saints

Should we have chased Liam Henry?

DOG GOD
07-07-2024, 05:58 PM
What saints can do when they play fast and direct.

soupman
07-07-2024, 06:04 PM
How impressive was that Sinclair ground ball get in the corridor leading to the Marshall miss?

Geez McDonalds had a rough couple of weeks.

mjp
07-07-2024, 06:09 PM
This is interesting the way the Swans are structuring up almost man on man (not quite) to stop the Saints chipping through them.

https://i.postimg.cc/5yd80nSG/20240707-170956.jpg (https://postimg.cc/XGLr1Khc)

That is 100% man on man with a spare in the skinny side pocket to force them to the far side where (I'm guessing) Grundy has set up camp.

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 06:15 PM
That is 100% man on man with a spare in the skinny side pocket to force them to the far side where (I'm guessing) Grundy has set up camp.

Wish there was access to the down the ground cameras full time.

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 06:16 PM
What did people think of Phillipou's game? I had him marked down as an ok player prior, that was a real break out for me and at his size he could be anything.

2022 draft looking great. Cmon Buss add to it!

josie
07-07-2024, 06:17 PM
Bravo Saints. Dockers & Saints prove Sydney not invincible. Such an open year. Pity we haven’t been able to show close to our best most weeks this year. Difficult to predict who could win it this year. Wouldn’t mind Dockers, now the Pies appear to be struggling.

chef
07-07-2024, 06:37 PM
What did people think of Phillipou's game? I had him marked down as an ok player prior, that was a real break out for me and at his size he could be anything.

2022 draft looking great. Cmon Buss add to it!

Ross gave him some tough love through the VFL which seems to work.

bornadog
07-07-2024, 07:02 PM
Ross gave him some tough love through the VFL which seems to work.

Bevo needs to give Marra some tough love in the VFL

bornadog
07-07-2024, 07:20 PM
Heeney Brownlow gone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR3kFzWbgAAjMPy?format=jpg&name=large

FrediKanoute
07-07-2024, 07:23 PM
Was a really bad round of results for us. Teams wnnng put a big gap between us and fnals

jeemak
07-07-2024, 07:24 PM
Bevo needs to give Marra some tough love in the VFL

Given Naughton is going to be out this week I don't think we can leave Marra out.

Marra is just going, but is contributing most weeks. He's only in his fourth year, so is likely to be inconsistent.

Grantysghost
07-07-2024, 07:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR3kFzWbgAAjMPy?format=jpg&name=large
He was trying to get separation however it's got be to weeks.

EasternWest
07-07-2024, 07:40 PM
Heeney Brownlow gone.

Isn't hitting Webster regarded as performing a service?

bornadog
07-07-2024, 07:57 PM
Given Naughton is going to be out this week I don't think we can leave Marra out.

Marra is just going, but is contributing most weeks. He's only in his fourth year, so is likely to be inconsistent.

Yeah, you are probably right. He needs to pull his finger out this week.

jeemak
07-07-2024, 08:24 PM
How is Heeney more culpable than Spider McGlurk Thatcher in that Webster went lower and Heeney was just trying to get "separation" when Spider McGlurk Thatcher was just trying to get "touch" on Naughton?

Sedat
07-07-2024, 10:21 PM
Was a really bad round of results for us. Teams wnnng put a big gap between us and fnals
Bad results for a home final but no real ground lost for sneaking in to 7th or 8th Collingwood, Gold Coast and Hawthorn losing. GWS have a tough last month and we have them in the final round. Our percentage is still solid and should help us.

We had a real shocker this weekend but our best can challenge anyone. Carlton are absolutely gettable this week if we have the right attitude as we did against Freo. We haven't had 2 shockers in a row all season.

jeemak
07-07-2024, 11:07 PM
Bad results for a home final but no real ground lost for sneaking in to 7th or 8th Collingwood, Gold Coast and Hawthorn losing. GWS have a tough last month and we have them in the final round. Our percentage is still solid and should help us.

We had a real shocker this weekend but our best can challenge anyone. Carlton are absolutely gettable this week if we have the right attitude as we did against Freo. We haven't had 2 shockers in a row all season.

But the real buzz of the round is whether you watch press conferences.