PDA

View Full Version : Where does the 2021 Prelim rank for you?

jazzadogs
05-07-2024, 04:22 PM
Objectively, the 2021 prelim final is one of the Western Bulldogs greatest victories.

Subjectively, it is rarely thought of or spoken about.

11/09/2021 - Adelaide Oval
Port Adelaide 6.9.45
Western Bulldogs 17.14.116

We kicked the first five goals of the game, including one to Bailey Smith inside the first minute. At quarter time, against the favourite at their home ground, we led 44-7.

Baz kicked 4, Hannan 3, Naughton and Bont 2 each.
Macrae leading disposals with 36.

Schache shut down Aliir and kicked 1.3, Gardner and Cordy locked down their tall forwards.

For me, the combination of lockdown (so watching by myself on the couch) and what followed the week after have caused this game to be forgotten, or at least not given the respect it deserves.

So where does it rank for you, in terms of best wins the club has had?

https://www.afl.com.au/video/676481

mjp
05-07-2024, 04:32 PM
The 2021 season does not exist and I 100% did not attend a game at Optus where Melbourne kicked 6 gazillion goals in a row. Therefore how could we have won the prelim final that year?

Sedat
05-07-2024, 04:39 PM
It's not the best win we've ever had but it is the absolutely best we have played in any game IMO. That first half was absolutely flawless and totally ruthless - to completely destroy a heavily favoured and well-rested opponent on their home soil in PF was a sight to behold.

It felt like destiny was awaiting us after that night - it still felt like that 20 minutes into the 3rd qtr of the GF.

my plums
05-07-2024, 04:45 PM
Always check out youtube videos of this game when I need a pick up

bornadog
05-07-2024, 05:03 PM
It was one of the best finals victories as far as really belting a side. Hopefully we can repeat the effort tomorrow.

josie
05-07-2024, 05:26 PM
Duryea stopping Cameron for a certain winning goal, VDM valuable toe poke point, Bailey Smith’s beautiful running goal and ice in the veins gesture and Schache’s best ever game for us. Pulling the power plug out. An epic win.

I always wondered why, subsequent to this game, Schache wasn’t given more roles/opportunities to lock down oppo intercepting/attacking defenders with us.

Eastdog
05-07-2024, 05:29 PM
Great win. It is not everyday you win a Prelim final by 71 points. We totally played Port off their own park that night to make our 4th grand final in history. You still rather make a GF than not make one anyday.

I am as disappointed as anyone about the 2021 GF and that loss but remember we were in that GF right into the 3rd quarter until the Demons piled on those goals.

2021 GF was bad but 2021 season overall was very good.

The Underdog
05-07-2024, 05:31 PM
The 2021 season does not exist and I 100% did not attend a game at Optus where Melbourne kicked 6 gazillion goals in a row. Therefore how could we have won the prelim final that year?

You say that, but that would negate beating Essendon in a final which is 100% a thing I want to remember, regardless of circumstances

mjp
05-07-2024, 05:57 PM
You say that, but that would negate beating Essendon in a final which is 100% a thing I want to remember, regardless of circumstances

I think having to suck eggs in front of 30000 pretend Melbourne supporters when they kicked loads of imaginary goals overides any positive feelings I might have about the games vs Essendon, Brisbane and Port.

EasternWest
05-07-2024, 06:22 PM
I think having to suck eggs in front of 30000 pretend Melbourne supporters when they kicked loads of imaginary goals overides any positive feelings I might have about the games vs Essendon, Brisbane and Port.

What on earth are you talking about?

On that note, can anyone tell me why they stopped the 2021.finals series at the prelims and never played a Grand Final?

Grantysghost
05-07-2024, 06:28 PM
Great win.

But.... Always a massive asterisk on those two seasons.

Considering we lost Bruce late it was a great effort by the team to make the GF.

Sedat
05-07-2024, 07:20 PM
it was a great effort by the team to make the GF.
That's not what you said on the night (and well into the wee small hours of the following Sunday morning)

Weve all got the receipts ;)

Grantysghost
05-07-2024, 07:22 PM
That's not what you said on the night (and well into the wee small hours of the following Sunday morning)

Weve all got the receipts ;)

Lest we forget.

That was the most unbelievable qtr and a half of footy I've ever forgotten.

Those anomalous results, 2 x Prelim and GF just show you how insane that whole concept was.

The AFL did well to give us something to watch, I'll give them that.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2024, 07:33 PM
I'm not too sure why some on here are pretending 2021 didn't happen. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Melbourne won a tier 2 final fair and square. Are we gonna use this thread to also start poo pooing the saints' wizard cup while we're at it? You guys are strange.

Grantysghost
05-07-2024, 07:57 PM
I'm not too sure why some on here are pretending 2021 didn't happen. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Melbourne won a tier 2 final fair and square. Are we gonna use this thread to also start poo pooing the saints' wizard cup while we're at it? You guys are strange.
https://i.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExdDI0YzQxd3N4NjNoM2FxNGM1NTZsam0wcnNlcG95Z TgybnFkcnJ0bCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/y2i2oqWgzh5ioRp4Qa/giphy.gif

lemmon
05-07-2024, 08:06 PM
I was stranded on a sultana farm in Mildura, watching with the farm owner who I'd only met a few days earlier and who was a die-hard Port supporter...safe to say it was an interesting mood at quarter time!

Nobody would've beaten us that night - just felt like everything fell into place perfectly.

Mofra
05-07-2024, 08:11 PM
After watching 7 losing prelims in a row, I am still glad we made the big dance in 2021.
We no longer just accept we're going to lose if we make it to the second last week in September

jeemak
05-07-2024, 08:12 PM
The 2021 preliminary final was sick, right through the week of the media and the AFEL watching public in general all piss and moan about umpiring in the Brisbane game, to the SA government's draconian treatment of us, and Smithmania.

It's great that everyone acknowledges that's where the season stopped as well.

Seriously, what we dished up was absolutely sublime and an amazing thing to see. It's not often you win a prelim, let alone in such style.

EasternWest
05-07-2024, 08:13 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/bNVccXZ9/charlie-murphy-charlie.gif (https://postimages.org/)

bulldogsthru&thru
05-07-2024, 08:40 PM
After watching 7 losing prelims in a row, I am still glad we made the big dance in 2021.
We no longer just accept we're going to lose if we make it to the second last week in September

Yeah this is one of the best aspects of the win. We've absolutely nailed 2 prelims in a row. Those demons are gone.

jazzadogs
05-07-2024, 09:09 PM
Yeah this is one of the best aspects of the win. We've absolutely nailed 2 prelims in a row. Those demons are gone.

Unfortunately they were replaced by new demons only a couple of weeks later.

jeemak
05-07-2024, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately they were replaced by new demons only a couple of weeks later.

BTT is sad now.

mighty_west
05-07-2024, 10:31 PM
It would have to rank as one of the clubs greatest wins that is for sure, was just a magical night, we obviously did what we did in 2016 and that was out of this world especially taking into account the last game of the season v a Freo side we should have won pretty easily.

But the way we controlled that '21 Prelim from the start was something most of us couldn't see happening, travelling all over the country side took it's toll in that last game, but we wipe that one, but even the week prior to the Prelim living in Brissy that night was just amazing, and probably also one of the greatest Dogs games i have attended, those Lions thought they had it in the bag and would win easily, so when that siren went my god, for the few of us Doggies supporters at the game was just wild, great great night and boy, those Brissy supporters were flat, that was brilliant in itself.

azabob
05-07-2024, 11:03 PM
I was stranded on a sultana farm in Mildura, watching with the farm owner who I'd only met a few days earlier and who was a die-hard Port supporter...safe to say it was an interesting mood at quarter time!

Nobody would've beaten us that night - just felt like everything fell into place perfectly.

Sounds like the beginning of a new Wolf Creek movie.

Is a sultana farm just a grape farm?

SonofScray
05-07-2024, 11:07 PM
It?s close to the most perfect game of footy ever played.

Could watch it again and again.

chef
06-07-2024, 10:23 AM
Sounds like the beginning of a new Wolf Creek movie.

Is a sultana farm just a grape farm?

Yes, like a vineyard but the grapes are grown and turned into sultanas instead of wine.

Happy Days
06-07-2024, 10:35 AM

I can’t explain it and also don’t know why I’m telling everyone this but I have a phobia of sultanas and being on a whole farm of the things is like something out of Saw to me.

Grantysghost
06-07-2024, 11:01 AM
I can’t explain it and also don’t know why I’m telling everyone this but I have a phobia of sultanas and being on a whole farm of the things is like something out of Saw to me.

Why are you raisin this now?

Eastdog
06-07-2024, 05:54 PM
We are not the first or last team to lose a GF by a lot.

The Swans were thrashed by 81 points in the 2022 GF and are so far are the premiership favourites 2 years after.

GWS although they did not win in 2023 made a prelim from their lowly position early on in that season when they were struggling and they got thrashed by the Tigers in the 2019 GF.

chef
06-07-2024, 05:56 PM
Why are you raisin this now?

Seems a currant issue?