PDA

View Full Version : Luke Beveridge Press Conferences

jeemak
07-07-2024, 10:09 PM
I've wondered how many of us watch the mandatory post game, mid-week and post-selection/ pre game press conferences.

I've always found them pretty informative, and thought they answer a lot of the rudimentary questions we have about different areas of our game. Usually I take the time to watch all of them.

What do others do, and why?

Note - the rather not say option is there because I think everyone should get to participate in polls even if they can't choose one of four reasonable options.

bornadog
07-07-2024, 10:23 PM
I listen to the weekly pregame presser through Twitter spaces to see if there will be any changes to the team and how the injured players are doing.

jeemak
07-07-2024, 10:28 PM
I listen to the weekly pregame presser through Twitter spaces to see if there will be any changes to the team and how the injured players are doing.

Not via the WB website or app?

lemmon
07-07-2024, 10:49 PM
I think they're terrific - particularly the post-match pressers. I feel like Bevo's been a lot more objective and less emotional this year and gives pretty honest appraisals about where things have broken down. He's one of the better coaches at giving genuine, considered answers about the tactical side of the game and doesn't just roll out platitudes.

They've been part of my staying in 'Camp Bevo' because he clearly sees where the issues are and articulates what improvement looks like, plus the players still seem to be on-side. It's a results business though and he's going to need the worm to turn.

soupman
07-07-2024, 10:52 PM
Don't watch, unless a specific clip gets highlighted by someone I respect on here or on twitter.

Do tend to read the synopsis that gets posted here or twitter though. And definitely enjoy reading the takes about it on those two platforms as well.

So I kind of watch them indirectly I guess?

Hotdog60
07-07-2024, 11:08 PM
I watch all I can but that's more because I'm starved of Doggies information so I'll grab any snippet I can.

bornadog
07-07-2024, 11:09 PM
Not via the WB website or app?

Twitter Spaces is live. If I miss it, then I go to the Web.

jeemak
07-07-2024, 11:14 PM
Twitter Spaces is live. If I miss it, then I go to the Web.

So you support misogynism through football?

We need to cancel BAD.

:)

bornadog
07-07-2024, 11:20 PM
So you support misogynism through football?

We need to cancel BAD.

:)

Not sure what this means

mjp
07-07-2024, 11:38 PM
When the club emails me stuff, I watch through the link...but I don't really seek it out.

Eastdog
07-07-2024, 11:38 PM
I have over the last number of weeks tuned in for the post match press conferences.

You do get a lot out of what Bevo says.

jeemak
07-07-2024, 11:55 PM
Not sure what this means

Just teasing you in a polarising world about your Twitter dependencies.

It's pretty obvious mate....... :)

jeemak
07-07-2024, 11:56 PM
When the club emails me stuff, I watch through the link...but I don't really seek it out.

This disgusts me. :)

Grantysghost
08-07-2024, 12:04 AM
I watch after the games more often than not.

Sometimes the one before the games at training but only if I get reminded or not distracted by work.

I find them to be pretty good of late the post match ones.

jeemak
08-07-2024, 12:05 AM
I have over the last number of weeks tuned in for the post match press conferences.

You do get a lot out of what Bevo says.

I cannot believe you haven't been watching them all the time Eastie. I'm so upset.

Eastdog
08-07-2024, 12:07 AM
I cannot believe you haven't been watching them all the time Eastie. I'm so upset.

It's never too late I am now :D

Rocket Science
08-07-2024, 12:29 AM
If you pick through the meandering word salads there's occasional insights but jeez they can be gruelling to follow.

A decade later I think he still battles with playing a straight bat while wearing his heart on his sleeve.

jeemak
08-07-2024, 12:58 AM
If you pick through the meandering word salads there's occasional insights but jeez they can be gruelling to follow.

A decade later I think he still battles with playing a straight bat while wearing his heart on his sleeve.

With the greatest respect RS you're borderline serial killer intelligent so anything anyone says to you is psychobabble.

Rocket Science
08-07-2024, 04:56 PM
With the greatest respect RS you're borderline serial killer intelligent so anything anyone says to you is psychobabble.

So what's it to be, the lotion or the hose?

Access to the coach is ace but the dynamic in post-game pressers is generally tense and weird and that's before before Bevo goes on his verbal strolls trying to give you something while giving you nothing.

I wonder if rolling out captains alongside the coaches would diffuse things a bit while adding a little more value to the exercise.

bornadog
08-07-2024, 04:59 PM
So what's it to be, the lotion or the hose?

Access to the coach is ace but the dynamic in post-game pressers is generally tense and weird and that's before before Bevo goes on his verbal strolls trying to give you something while giving you nothing.

I wonder if rolling out captains alongside the coaches would diffuse things a bit while adding a little more value to the exercise.

Aren't all press conferences the same with every club

Rocket Science
08-07-2024, 06:22 PM
Aren't all press conferences the same with every club

Yes and that's kinda my point.

azabob
25-08-2024, 07:56 PM
I just watched Bevo after match press conference (round 24) and Bevo looks emotionally spent. A lot of reflection throughout the home and away season in the first five or so minutes.

Touched on where the win ranks, Daniel and Macrae, that tackle, Tim English injury, LDM injury, Arty Jones, Ed Richards & his move (expanded on this more than normal), Treloar and his calf.

Well worth a listen as always?

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 08:23 PM
I just watched Bevo after match press conference (round 24) and Bevo looks emotionally spent. A lot of reflection throughout the home and away season in the first five or so minutes.

It might have something to do with Sam Landsberger and then news about John Schultz passing.
Bevo mentions it in his presser

azabob
25-08-2024, 08:32 PM
It might have something to do with Sam Landsberger and then news about John Schultz passing.

Shit. I had not caught up with the JS news.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 08:33 PM
Shit. I had not caught up with the JS news.

Bevo mentions it late in his presser as well.

azabob
25-08-2024, 08:37 PM
Bevo mentions it late in his presser as well.

Ah ok. I must have seen a cut off version.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 08:38 PM
Didn't realise that till now

Uninformed
25-08-2024, 08:46 PM
I was surprised at Luke's demeanor in his presser. He seemed considerably less happy than the losing coach did in his.

But he is a emotional man and learning about the death of such a close friend as John Schultz, and Sam earlier, would certainly explain it.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 09:07 PM
Didn't realise that till now

In the presser you can see how emotional he was to let the press know of the news about John.
I know a lot of people question some of the Bevo quirks etc but he is a very caring guy and is as loyal as they come.
It's actually a bit hard to watch the impact to Bevo when he provides a brief overview about John.

I hope that explains or provides some context on why he looks a bit spent after what was a very telling win for us.

Stevo
25-08-2024, 09:31 PM
In the presser you can see how emotional he was to let the press know of the news about John.
I know a lot of people question some of the Bevo quirks etc but he is a very caring guy and is as loyal as they come.
It's actually a bit hard to watch the impact to Bevo when he provides a brief overview about John.

I hope that explains or provides some context on why he looks a bit spent after what was a very telling win for us.

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of the passing of John Schultz so Bevo being flat now makes a lot of sense.

josie
25-08-2024, 09:32 PM
Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of the passing of John Schultz so Bevo being flat now makes a lot of sense.

Me either. John was such a lovely gentleman. Sad news.

SonofScray
25-08-2024, 09:33 PM
I like his pregame ones and hate the post game.

Haven’t watched one in full, deliberately since 2018 though.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 10:15 PM
I like his pregame ones and hate the post game.

Haven’t watched one in full, deliberately since 2018 though.

For what it's worth you might consider having a look at some of the more recent ones. I think there was been a distinct change in the way he is presenting himself and the club this year.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 10:26 PM
Where is the full length presser?

angelopetraglia
25-08-2024, 10:26 PM
For what it's worth you might consider having a look at some of the more recent ones. I think there was been a distinct change in the way he is presenting himself and the club this year.

Agree with this 100%. He has been great.

angelopetraglia
25-08-2024, 10:27 PM
I think the club knew about Schultz earlier in the day.

Very sad news.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 10:30 PM
I don't get the angst and never have with Beveridge's press conferences. I can get his mood is sometimes off and he can get into the minutiae, but he's never disingenuous and is always respectful to members of the media outside of one or two in isolated instances.

Get the impression his intellectual integrity doesn't allow him to be as shallow as media and the people expect coaches to be.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 10:42 PM
Where is the full length presser?

This is where I saw it. Go to around the 13 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQUviDqTYk

angelopetraglia
25-08-2024, 10:46 PM
Bevo does really care about this footy club and its people. We are lucky to have him.

jeemak
25-08-2024, 10:49 PM
This is where I saw it. Go to around the 13 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQUviDqTYk

What I saw on the AFL website and ours wasn't that long, so thank you.

NB - it's insanely weird the AFL media team decided to cut that from the main content they produce. Heartless ****ers. They wouldn't cut Chris Scott off in that way.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 10:52 PM
Bevo does really care about this footy club and its people. We are lucky to have him.

I've said this a couple of times on here but a regular training watcher lost her husband a few years back and at just about every training session Bevo greets her with a hug and a quick chat. Bevo bought her lunch and a coffee on Wednesday when she was in the cafe.
He's exceptionally loyal and caring to people he likes and trusts.

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 10:56 PM
What I saw on the AFL website and ours wasn't that long, so thank you.

I was wondering if I had interpreted it wrong for a little while because no one else seemed to be aware of it.
It looks like there was about 2 minutes cut off the AFL version which is why it's been missed.

bornadog
25-08-2024, 10:59 PM
I was wondering if I had interpreted it wrong for a little while because no one else seemed to be aware of it.
It looks like there was about 2 minutes cut off the AFL version which is why it's been missed.

Thanks, I didn't hear that last bit until now. I watched the version on the club website

GVGjr
25-08-2024, 11:07 PM
Thanks, I didn't hear that last bit until now. I watched the version on the club website

If I had watched the same I would have been blissfully unaware. I'm glad that the version above gives some context on Bevo's presser because Aza and others were right to question it but with the full picture it now becomes understandable.

ledge
25-08-2024, 11:30 PM
Just on John Shultz he hasn’t passed away he is in palliative care and watched the game, apparently a miss communication probably why it was cut short.
Just got a msge from his daughter in law.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2024, 11:30 PM
Great words Bevo.

RIP John.

Grantysghost
25-08-2024, 11:47 PM
Just on John Shultz he hasn?t passed away he is in palliative care and watched the game, apparently a miss communication probably why it was cut short.
Just got a msge from his daughter in law.
Thanks Ledge that's a fair miscommunication.

ledge
25-08-2024, 11:56 PM
Thanks Ledge that's a fair miscommunication.

Yes it is.

jazzadogs
26-08-2024, 12:22 AM
Obviously my thoughts to John and anyone who knows him, and possibly saw the press conference live or in a video. That would have been a horrible way to find out that sort of news, particularly when it wasn't true!

I also really feel for Bevo - he would HATE that he did that, and I imagine there will be a broken relationship between him and whichever person in the club told him he could share the news.

jeemak
26-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Obviously my thoughts to John and anyone who knows him, and possibly saw the press conference live or in a video. That would have been a horrible way to find out that sort of news, particularly when it wasn't true!

I also really feel for Bevo - he would HATE that he did that, and I imagine there will be a broken relationship between him and whichever person in the club told him he could share the news.

Or they talk it out reasonably, like adults and move on if it was a genuine mistake.

jazzadogs
26-08-2024, 12:42 AM
Or they talk it out reasonably, like adults and move on if it was a genuine mistake.

Yes but Bevo and emotions don't seem to mix too well. Hopefully you're right.

jeemak
26-08-2024, 02:05 AM
Yes but Bevo and emotions don't seem to mix too well. Hopefully you're right.

Imagine it was Chris Grant giving him bum information just to set him up.

GVGjr
26-08-2024, 07:23 AM
Given that it appears to be incorrect information that Bevo received, lets shut this down for the time being.