View Full Version : The Monday Soapbox - R17

GVGjr
08-07-2024, 10:49 AM
Lets hear them?

Grantysghost
08-07-2024, 11:24 AM
I'm too flat to be on my soapbox.

Um.....

Concussions? Like WTF already. Are we going overboard here. A concussion is literally when your brain crashes into the side of your skull.

These tests they are using - how bullet proof are they?

I'm specifically talking about the Naughton one which appeared innocuous. I mean those are pretty common place playing footy, I know I was clocked a few times by someone's elbow when they were handballing out of a pack.

This is a version of the test for Rugby (not sure if we use the same one).

https://www.fitasaphysio.com/uploads/4/3/3/4/43345381/irb_hia_1_en.pdf

I have no data, but we appear to be copping more of these than other teams.

GVGjr
08-07-2024, 03:28 PM
There are still some discussion regarding Simpson being replaced as coach before the seasons over. I wonder if that move will happen

The WA teams have put a proposal forward that would have the Vic teams playing one extra game over in WA every five years to cut back the hours their teams need to fly each season. Is that something people could live with?

bulldogtragic
08-07-2024, 03:30 PM
There are still some discussion regarding Simpson being replaced as coach before the seasons over. I wonder if that move will happen

The WA teams have put a proposal forward that would have the Vic teams playing one extra game over in WA every five years to cut back the hours their teams need to fly each season. Is that something people could live with?

It’s a national competition. Sorry, not sorry.

GVGjr
08-07-2024, 03:51 PM
How do we decipher this from Kane?

Naughton attempts to make a lead, Zerk-Thatcher throws out an arm and collects him (deliberately or not), which concusses Naughton.
Kane Cornes: "It's almost Aaron Naughton's fault for running his head into his elbow".

Based on this surely Naughton gets reported for head butting Zerk-Thatcher elbow?

bulldogtragic
08-07-2024, 03:54 PM

Naughton attempts to make a lead, Zerk-Thatcher throws out an arm and collects him (deliberately or not), which concusses Naughton.
Kane Cornes: "It's almost Aaron Naughton's fault for running his head into his elbow".

Based on this surely Naughton gets reported for head butting Zerk-Thatcher elbow?

Ignore it. He wants attention, so deny him that.

jeemak
08-07-2024, 04:25 PM

If you can get reported for getting someone high when trying to get separation then getting someone high when trying to impede them should be reportable.

Zerk-Thatcher was trying to impede Naughton, irrespective of whether Naughton's body was lower than usual Zerk-Thatcher initiated the contact and now Naughton is off for a week or more.

The culture of blaming people who don't initiate contact for where the contact lands on the body is silly but becoming more prevalent in the AFL.

bornadog
08-07-2024, 04:33 PM

He is saying Zerk-Thatcher should be reported