PDA

View Full Version : Crisis/Opportunity: Planning for the Blues

Rocco Jones
08-07-2024, 07:45 PM
Okay these are normally mjp's domain and this is going to probably be like mjp when you order it on Wish but...

Not sure how to articulate it but when you have a bunch of guys out or can't do what you want to do, I much prefer the strengths based approach, perhaps even element of surprise approach over the least worst version of what you want.

No Jones, JOD or Naughts. Ouch.

A must for mine is having a tall down back and forward who have the ability and maturity captain the ship a bit. Darcy and Marra can be very dangerous but I think they will get lost with a mature tall forward. I think our best two options here Bont and Lobb (lol how quickly things can change).

With Curnow, I think his speed will kill us before his 1:1 (we are stuffed if it gets to this anyway).

So long story, short (perhaps pardon the pun).

Down back:
- Lobb (dead if you don't have a guy who can take an intercept mark + mature head). Perhaps using him as an extra behind the ball. Not quite sure as they only go with two talls. I think it's vital we free him up and hope Blues play the extra ruck.
- Keath seems in. I'd say McKay, I know, eek but free up Lobb.
- Coff vs Curnow: I know insane. But like I said I think speed is the main concern.

Up forward
- really rolling the dice but I'd go Bont forward to help out Marra and Darcy. Hopefully Cody is there too
- Weitering and McGovern I think pray on talls who aren't dangerous or clever with defensive side.
- ideally I'd give Buku a crack but I don't think he has the IQ to go with a Weitering and doesn't help Darcy or Marra with the mature head thing
- ideally we have four dangerous targets here and have that element of unpredictability.

I kinda view this game with the hope/forced plan of when we were down two players on the bench vs Swans.

There's a reason, there's a lot of reasons, why I am on my couch and not earning $$$ making the big decisions but I think we have a choice to go safe and reduce blow out possibility or risk it.

bornadog
08-07-2024, 07:58 PM
Coffield will get murdered on Curnow as would Buku. I am not sure what we will do. Sorry, I don't have a solution

Rocco Jones
08-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Yeah I don’t see an option I like vs Curnow.

mjp
08-07-2024, 08:14 PM
Yeah I don’t see an option I like vs Curnow.

This is a mids game.

This is a forwards game.

Since we are unlikely to win 9-goals to 8-goals (due to the whole Curnow thing and our current defensive options), we therefore need to play a 14-goals to 12 game.

Let's SCORE.

I'm already excited at the possibilities...let's go. We can win a game like that with Marra, Darcy and Weightman (please be fit)...Bont will weigh in with a couple, Treloar will sneak one. I'm not afraid of the Carlton mids...

This really is a 'forget what we don't go, let's roll with what we DO GOT!!'.

Match of the Round. Dogs by 10-points.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2024, 08:18 PM

This is the tagline of what I was trying to go with.

angelopetraglia
08-07-2024, 10:24 PM
Just for fun. The footy media getting stuck into Carlton and Curnow today. I don't have a good feeling about this game.

bornadog
08-07-2024, 10:25 PM
This is a mids game.

This is a forwards game.

Since we are unlikely to win 9-goals to 8-goals (due to the whole Curnow thing and our current defensive options), we therefore need to play a 14-goals to 12 game.

Let's SCORE.

I'm already excited at the possibilities...let's go. We can win a game like that with Marra, Darcy and Weightman (please be fit)...Bont will weigh in with a couple, Treloar will sneak one. I'm not afraid of the Carlton mids...

Match of the Round. Dogs by 10-points.

Patrick is in Brownlow form - put someone on him

jeemak
08-07-2024, 10:30 PM
The last couple of weeks we've been considerably down in the scoring department, after hitting high twenties/ thirty scoring shots.

Saying the best way to beat Carlton is by outscoring them is clearly a nuftie thing to say, but it has to be the mentality to score at all costs.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2024, 10:31 PM
The last couple of weeks we've been considerably down in the scoring department, after hitting high twenties/ thirty scoring shots.

Saying the best way to beat Carlton is by outscoring them is clearly a nuftie thing to say, but it has to be the mentality to score at all costs.

Unless we go into super Ross Lyon mode but yeah, what you said.

Danjul
08-07-2024, 11:32 PM

our biggest score was without Naughton. No long bombs and the smaller players hit the scoreboard. Even Lobb?s last goal was the result of a low pass. Put Khamis full forward. I think he was our best goal kicker in the vfl last season. JUH on one wing and Baker on the other, tell both to take the game on. Baker had good form with Footscray for a few weeks and we have seen him kick three goals in a game . Buss at fullback, Lobb at CHB, English at CHF, Darcy wherever he wants to be. That gives us a marking pivot on each line.

play smith as ruck. He is too raw you say. He is better than English was in his first couple of games. And anyway, we don?t do ruck. Then set up the midfield for stopping roles so the ball stays trapped more. We are likely to win the ball in those circumstances.

might not work but at least it is a try.

Or just do what we did earlier in the season to get ourselves into this mess.

Bullies
09-07-2024, 10:05 AM
Patrick is in Brownlow form - put someone on him I would put Libba on Cripps and go the hard tag. We need to reinvent Libba against those with a strong and fast midfield. Butters and Rozee destroyed us out of the middle with speed and kicking long into attack. Our mids don't do that and don't have an accountable bone in their body. We need to change it up or we will see the same and get torched again.

Bullies
09-07-2024, 10:08 AM
our biggest score was without Naughton. No long bombs and the smaller players hit the scoreboard. Even Lobb?s last goal was the result of a low pass. Put Khamis full forward. I think he was our best goal kicker in the vfl last season. JUH on one wing and Baker on the other, tell both to take the game on. Baker had good form with Footscray for a few weeks and we have seen him kick three goals in a game . Buss at fullback, Lobb at CHB, English at CHF, Darcy wherever he wants to be. That gives us a marking pivot on each line.

play smith as ruck. He is too raw you say. He is better than English was in his first couple of games. And anyway, we don?t do ruck. Then set up the midfield for stopping roles so the ball stays trapped more. We are likely to win the ball in those circumstances.

might not work but at least it is a try.

Or just do what we did earlier in the season to get ourselves into this mess. What about trying Buku on the wing on Hollands and play through him. He has the height and the agility and for once won't need to be accountable for an opponent like he does defending. We know he can't defend but let him loose on the wing and see what he's got?

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2024, 10:54 AM
What about trying Buku on the wing on Hollands and play through him. He has the height and the agility and for once won't need to be accountable for an opponent like he does defending. We know he can't defend but let him loose on the wing and see what he's got?

I would consider Buku as ruck against Dekony and rather Darcy on the wing as he will out mark everyone and a lot better to play through

The Adelaide Connection
09-07-2024, 11:10 AM
I would put Libba on Cripps and go the hard tag. We need to reinvent Libba against those with a strong and fast midfield. Butters and Rozee destroyed us out of the middle with speed and kicking long into attack. Our mids don't do that and don't have an accountable bone in their body. We need to change it up or we will see the same and get torched again.

I remember a story that his old man tagged a young Ben Cousins and broke him- was apparently in tears after the game. Might just be urban legend, not sure.

Anyway, I want to see Tom employ the same physical and psychological warfare on Cripps. Make him cry. Make him punch Libba in the face and get Bont one step closer to that Brownlow while he is at it.

bornadog
09-07-2024, 11:16 AM
I have been thinking about the backline and I think if Keath is ready, he takes Curnow. No way can Keath run with McKay, who is very athletic and tends to run up the ground like a true CHF. Lobb should take on McKay.

If Keath doesn't come up, I am afraid we will see Buku on Curnow.

Grantysghost
09-07-2024, 11:18 AM
Lobb back for me.

I'd have

Duryea Lobb (Curnow) Coffield
Freijah Keath (Mckay) Dale

Good mix of run/height/stoppers.

I think Lobb is pretty athletic and probably is the best matchup for Curnow and may be able to intercept off him (gulp).

Let's be honest though, if the mids shit the bed again it you could have Rance and Jakovich down there and it aint gonna matter.

Bailey Williams to the wing. In the VFL :cool: (he was putrid with his efforts last week not on his own).

Kidding, however my iso cam is on him this week and I like him up the ground and not having to defend. Although, he isn't a classic
winger.

We are really suffering without a decent winger. Lachie Hunter come back!

Forwards, hmm.

Khamis forward.

It's going to have to Marra and Darcy with Bont and English rotating through for periods.

I'd have Buku down there to try and get a height mismatch with one of their shorter backs.

Buku was ok last week down back, but I don't trust him.

TLDR

We have to reverse everything we did wrong last week. Mids have to not get spanked on the outside. Forwards need to pressure ball and lock it in.

I'd also like to see some man on man at times if we are getting chipped through again.

I've got a really bad feeling about this game with the Blues coming off that unexpected loss.

P.S. I hope Weightman is back, however groins hmmm. I wouldn't rush him.

mjp
09-07-2024, 12:17 PM
I remember a story that his old man tagged a young Ben Cousins and broke him- was apparently in tears after the game. Might just be urban legend, not sure.
Not urban legend. Cousins would have been 18/19 and was in his first season. Pretty sure that game was at the WACA.

Anyway, I want to see Tom employ the same physical and psychological warfare on Cripps. Make him cry.
You think anyone can do ANYTHING to Cripps that he hasn't seen/heard? He's been playing senior footy (in the bush) since he was 15 and before he grew 20cm in one summer. He's the 200-game playing captain of an AFL club.

He isn't great in transition though and despite being slow will try to take on the oppo with ball in hand...so rather than revert to playing games with him, why not just:
- Whoever gets him, push forward hard and make him defend.
- When he tries to take on the tackler...bring him to the ground.

I genuinely don't think we need to try and be too clever/change positions etc.

Just do the simple things better than Carlton this week and 'lean in' to our strengths in the mids and up forward.

Grantysghost
09-07-2024, 12:49 PM
Not urban legend. Cousins would have been 18/19 and was in his first season. Pretty sure that game was at the WACA.

You think anyone can do ANYTHING to Cripps that he hasn't seen/heard? He's been playing senior footy (in the bush) since he was 15 and before he grew 20cm in one summer. He's the 200-game playing captain of an AFL club.

He isn't great in transition though and despite being slow will try to take on the oppo with ball in hand...so rather than revert to playing games with him, why not just:

Just do the simple things better than Carlton this week and 'lean in' to our strengths in the mids and up forward.

Would you consider sweating on the second guy? Like Cripps is going to get it out, he's hard to stop. Crowd him but don't be bees to honey (i saw this on the weekend 3 guys sucked into Rozee i think it was) and then sweat on the release guy.

1eyedog
09-07-2024, 02:04 PM
We're cooked and the real positive at Carlton is their ability to move the ball so quickly. Feeling a Port-like early capitulation coming on if I'm honest.

Don't mind trying Buku on a wing he can't play forward or back so worth trying him everywhere prior to season's end I suppose. We'll probably put him on Curnow.

Keath on McKay is horrible. If we had one legitimate key defender for McKay and played Lobb as an interceptor Truck on Curnow could work. Keath used to be the interceptor we need but that was more than 5 years ago.

Curnow will get lots of looks and will view anyone we put on him as sub-par. He could sew up the Coleman this weekend.

The Adelaide Connection
09-07-2024, 02:17 PM

I know mate, I was just being a little facetious. But we do need to give him a tough time- which I agree means sweating on him and getting a tackle on him that sticks.

Ultimately if we let any midfield have the possessions that Port's did last week in the first quarter we are in for some trouble. I am optimistic- our best is good enough and if we are good enough, long enough we might just be able to limit the damage in the back half enough to get the W.

Angak
09-07-2024, 02:27 PM

Interesting to hear Bevo say in the post game presser that our best game of the season was against Freo when we only had two tall forwards. He said that it is something we have to look at and find the right balance.

Carrying three tall's can really hurt your balance. Let's see how we function this week with Naughton out.

mjp
09-07-2024, 02:29 PM
Would you consider sweating on the second guy? Like Cripps is going to get it out, he's hard to stop. Crowd him but don't be bees to honey (i saw this on the weekend 3 guys sucked into Rozee i think it was) and then sweat on the release guy.

Honestly, I think we should roll out our 'standard' setup. Reiterate that we've been practicing since November and our best is good enough.

I'm pretty sure sending 2-defenders to 1-attacker (let alone 3) is NEVER part of the plan and that smacks of individuals trying to do it themselves...admirable trait but teams win games.

Play everyone in their spot - you *MIGHT* change ONE role for a specific match-up - reinforce the basics and get the job done.

It's not the time for arse plucking and 'new' strategies. Go with what you believe in, be consistent and if we bring effort it will be enough. If you don't believe that, well - head out to dinner/overseas/wherever 'cos fancy tricks wont get it done.

bornadog
09-07-2024, 04:22 PM
Truck on Curnow could work.

Another disaster waiting to happen. Curnow plays like Naughton, ie has a great leap which Truck could not possibly match.

Curnow has been very poor the last two weeks, but I fear he will be awakening from his slump.

Grantysghost
09-07-2024, 04:56 PM
Honestly, I think we should roll out our 'standard' setup. Reiterate that we've been practicing since November and our best is good enough.

I'm pretty sure sending 2-defenders to 1-attacker (let alone 3) is NEVER part of the plan and that smacks of individuals trying to do it themselves...admirable trait but teams win games.

Play everyone in their spot - you *MIGHT* change ONE role for a specific match-up - reinforce the basics and get the job done.

It's not the time for arse plucking and 'new' strategies. Go with what you believe in, be consistent and if we bring effort it will be enough. If you don't believe that, well - head out to dinner/overseas/wherever 'cos fancy tricks wont get it done.

Yeah agree, don't re-invent the wheel. More refocus on the things that make you good. I think this should be part of it as you said naturally not all getting sucked in creating that outside vacuum.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2024, 04:58 PM
My main concern with Curnow is his speed. We are stuffed anyway if there are too many 1:1s.

The Adelaide Connection
09-07-2024, 05:35 PM
My main concern with Curnow is his speed. We are stuffed anyway if there are too many 1:1s.

How's Busslingers speed? The thought of him 1:1 with Curnow sitting under a ball deep inside 50 is terrifying, but maybe he could get a fist in on the move?

GVGjr
09-07-2024, 05:46 PM
How's Busslingers speed? The thought of him 1:1 with Curnow sitting under a ball deep inside 50 is terrifying, but maybe he could get a fist in on the move?

It's improved a lot this year with the new fitness guy ramping up training being done at a quicker pace but Buss isn't quick off the mark but he's not bad once he gets going.

1eyedog
09-07-2024, 11:17 PM
Another disaster waiting to happen. Curnow plays like Naughton, ie has a great leap which Truck could not possibly match.

Curnow has been very poor the last two weeks, but I fear he will be awakening from his slump.

There is no match up unfortunately.

bornadog
09-07-2024, 11:46 PM
There is no match up unfortunately.

Take your pick:

Lobb
Keath (if available)
Buku
Buss

1eyedog
10-07-2024, 12:20 AM
Take your pick:

Lobb
Keath (if available)
Buku
Buss

Gee whiz

Bullies
10-07-2024, 08:18 AM
How's Busslingers speed? The thought of him 1:1 with Curnow sitting under a ball deep inside 50 is terrifying, but maybe he could get a fist in on the move? Welcome to the big time Buss - hope you enjoy it. This would kill the kid.

The Adelaide Connection
10-07-2024, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the big time Buss - hope you enjoy it. This would kill the kid.

I don't mean taking him full time. Just (if he had the speed, which I was unsure of) following him onto the wing and trying to get a hand in wherever he can.

Jeanette54
10-07-2024, 01:31 PM
This all feels like a deck chairs on the Titanic moment.

The Underdog
10-07-2024, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the big time Buss - hope you enjoy it. This would kill the kid.

Jon Patton destroying Lewis Young type areas for those with a long enough memory.

Happy Days
10-07-2024, 02:55 PM
Jon Patton destroying Lewis Young type areas for those with a long enough memory.

That’s still the worst game I’ve ever seen anyone play. Can’t believe he even made it out of the ground without retiring on the spot.

Critter
10-07-2024, 03:39 PM
To me the greatest risk is the Carlton midfield, particularly Cripps and Walsh. Centre bounces and clearances are where Geelong, Melbourne, PA and Carlton have destroyed us in the past. When English plays as he has, their respective midfields have taken us apart. No reason to think it won't happen again. In fact, given last week's effort, it's more than likely. I would send Ed Richards to Cripps and Freijah to Walsh. Ed has the pace, strength and defensive skills to stand Cripps and Freijah - well it's a bit of a wing and a prayer - but he too seems to have the physical skills to run with someone. Planning it in advance gives both players the chance to prepare and focus.

And we need to be pre-emptive in our planning because match-day coaching is not one of Bevo's strengths. No good waiting until Carlton kick 5 goals to zip and the game is all but over. I tired of the stunned mullet look when the oppo kicks multiple goals from centre clearances.

Our midfield attack can come from Bonti, Treloar, Libba and Garcia. Sanders should be rested.

With regard to Curnow and Mackay, I'd set Lobb to Curnow and bring in Keath for Mackay, together with Busslinger, with strict instructions for Keath to punch everything and for Busslinger to intercept. And I'd put Buku on the wing to stretch Acres. Again, act pre-emptively.

Can Bar
10-07-2024, 03:47 PM
just need someone with ebola or bird flu to have a conversation with Bont for an hour. Once he is deemed ill, Carlton have no chance. Failing that, we will find out which defenders want to lock down a spot in the backline for the remainder of the year. Opportunity knocking.....

Rocket Science
10-07-2024, 04:13 PM
Reckon I'd sooner bring Spangher out of retirement than try curbing them with the defensive stocks at our disposal.

It's been twenty four years but it's time. Dust off the Super Flood (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HCxJFgd36w).

Danjul
10-07-2024, 08:34 PM
To me the greatest risk is the Carlton midfield, particularly Cripps and Walsh. Centre bounces and clearances are where Geelong, Melbourne, PA and Carlton have destroyed us in the past. When English plays as he has, their respective midfields have taken us apart. No reason to think it won't happen again. In fact, given last week's effort, it's more than likely. I would send Ed Richards to Cripps and Freijah to Walsh. Ed has the pace, strength and defensive skills to stand Cripps and Freijah - well it's a bit of a wing and a prayer - but he too seems to have the physical skills to run with someone. Planning it in advance gives both players the chance to prepare and focus.

And we need to be pre-emptive in our planning because match-day coaching is not one of Bevo's strengths. No good waiting until Carlton kick 5 goals to zip and the game is all but over. I tired of the stunned mullet look when the oppo kicks multiple goals from centre clearances.

Our midfield attack can come from Bonti, Treloar, Libba and Garcia. Sanders should be rested.

With regard to Curnow and Mackay, I'd set Lobb to Curnow and bring in Keath for Mackay, together with Busslinger, with strict instructions for Keath to punch everything and for Busslinger to intercept. And I'd put Buku on the wing to stretch Acres. Again, act pre-emptively.
I have written your suggestions into my prayer for tonight. But I have to warn you that god usually ignores me. In fact She usually sends me the opposite.

Danjul
10-07-2024, 08:56 PM
That?s still the worst game I?ve ever seen anyone play. Can?t believe he even made it out of the ground without retiring on the spot.
Patton had 15 disposals and Young had 11 ( which was more than Libba) that day. Patton was credited with one 1%er and Young had six. Wasn?t Patton an experienced number one draft pick (24 years old and approaching his prime) playing in a team of champions and Young was an 18yo four game nobody.

Fortunately my spectacles were cleaner than yours, so I was able to see Young play badly in a poorly performing team (GWS kicked 16 goals to 7 and Lobb caught Bevos eye with a better game than he usually gives us).

That is why I am able to move on and appreciate the horror of selections where A Jones gets zero possessions, Weightman gets one and Bruce gets his first half way through the last quarter. Was there for all of them. And I suspect that more of these are ahead of us because people on WOOF wrote in praise of each display and we know Bevo selects for the crowd.

I can post contact information for my optometrist.

The Underdog
10-07-2024, 09:27 PM
While I think the “worst game” is hyperbolic, and I’ve definitely seen plenty of worse games, the stats definitely don’t account for how I’ve never seen a player physically bully and break another players spirit so obviously as Patton did to Young. At least to the point where it still sticks in my mind 7 years later. Although 18% disposal efficiency and 5 turnovers from 11 disposals can certainly give an indication of where his mind was by the end of the game.
He probably shouldn’t have been put in the position he was and is a massive warning as to what could happen if we tried Busslinger on one of Curnow or Mackay this week.

DOG GOD
10-07-2024, 10:15 PM
I can see Cripps/Walsh running amok. Our mids just don?t have the ability to defend in anyway.
If Jones doesn?t play then I hate to think what Curnow/McKay will do. They will be licking their lips. Even with a full strength backline, I don?t see a player who would stop Curnow.

If we are to win?.
Keep Cripps under 20 disposals
Keep McKay/Curnow to combined 5 goals (team under 12 goals)
Bont to have a 25+, 2 goal game
Marra 4+

What I think will happen??
Cripps 25+
Walsh 25+
McKay 3.1
Curnow 7.3
Cincotta on Bont (15 disposals/no goals)
Marra 1.3

Carlton 15 goals
WB 9 goals

Danjul
10-07-2024, 10:17 PM
While I think the ?worst game? is hyperbolic, and I?ve definitely seen plenty of worse games, the stats definitely don?t account for how I?ve never seen a player physically bully and break another players spirit so obviously as Patton did to Young. At least to the point where it still sticks in my mind 7 years later. Although 18% disposal efficiency and 5 turnovers from 11 disposals can certainly give an indication of where his mind was by the end of the game.
He probably shouldn?t have been put in the position he was and is a massive warning as to what could happen if we tried Busslinger on one of Curnow or Mackay this week.
Reminds me of the selections in 2019 when we put Cordy on McKay, who had 20 possessions and kicked a season best 4 goals.

That day a young English shouldered the ruck, supported by Dunkley and Bont. I don?t think Dunkley ever got over it.

Our forward line was basically Naughton ( as it often seemed to be ) who had 5 disposals for zero goals, Dickson and Lloyd kicked 2 each. Gowers got one of the other three.

Someone told me that was Carlton?s first win in something like 20 games. And they doubled the Dogs score and it was actually the spark to start of their success era we are currently witnessing.

Blood pressure warning, but I can’t resist….

We responded by selecting Schache for the next 10 games and he contributed 20 goals and a concussion

jeemak
11-07-2024, 02:07 AM
WTF are you talking about?

Winless for twenty games based on what a mate told you? You?ve embellished it by 250% to make a point.

Come on Stats Bot, if anyone knows the details it?s you.

The Underdog
11-07-2024, 08:29 AM
WTF are you talking about?

Winless for twenty games based on what a mate told you? You?ve embellished it by 250% to make a point.

Come on Stats Bot, if anyone knows the details it?s you.

Where would you find that information? It’s not player contracts.

Mantis
11-07-2024, 11:44 AM
I can see Cripps/Walsh running amok. Our mids just don?t have the ability to defend in anyway.
If Jones doesn?t play then I hate to think what Curnow/McKay will do. They will be licking their lips. Even with a full strength backline, I don?t see a player who would stop Curnow.

If we are to win?.
Bont to have a 25+, 2 goal game
Marra 4+

What I think will happen??
Cripps 25+
Walsh 25+
McKay 3.1
Curnow 7.3
Cincotta on Bont (15 disposals/no goals)
Marra 1.3

Carlton 15 goals
WB 9 goals

The master of doom has spoken!

Hard to not be down-trodden after the mess we saw last week, but Bevo really needs to put it on the likes of Bont, Libba, Richards, Tim & Treloar to show the **** up this week!

Our engine room was dead-set embarrassing last week, and whilst many of this group ''statted-up'' when the game was over, their first 45min as a group was pathetic. If this experienced core can't compete to the level required, then it's going to be party time for the Carlton forward.

Sedat
11-07-2024, 12:05 PM
The master of doom has spoken!

Hard to not be down-trodden after the mess we saw last week, but Bevo really needs to put it on the likes of Bont, Libba, Richards, Tim & Treloar to show the **** up this week!

Our engine room was dead-set embarrassing last week, and whilst many of this group ''statted-up'' when the game was over, their first 45min as a group was pathetic. If this experienced core can't compete to the level required, then it's going to be party time for the Carlton forward.
Yep, it's all up to the engine room this week. If we show up with the same intent as the Freo game we win this week, simple as that. The magnets down back and up forward are of far less consequence than our midfield group getting it done in all facets.

Carlton are just going at the minute - in the last fortnight it took them 2.5 quarters to shake off the worst team in the comp and then they got stitched up out of the middle big time against GWS. They are absolutely gettable with the right attitude from our mids.

I will be physically ill if TDK monsters English this week like he did to his brother a few weeks ago. If Tim has any semblance of competitive spirit, he will simply not let that happen on Saturday.

azabob
11-07-2024, 12:21 PM
I will be physically ill if TDK monsters English this week like he did to his brother a few weeks ago. If Tim has any semblance of competitive spirit, he will simply not let that happen on Saturday.

Clean up required in aisle 2...

Clean up require in aisle 2...

mjp
11-07-2024, 02:30 PM

If we are to win?.

Why?

Last week they lost.

Cripps had 33 and 11 clearances.
McKay kicked 5 (Curnow kicked 1 - so 6 between them).
Carlton kicked 16 and had 24x shots on goal.

Why do we have to constrict them so much in order to win??

The Giants killed them for possession (+90) and uncontested marks (+40) and kept the footy off them. Contested possessions and clearances were basically even.

If you want to know the key stats (and the Giants have showed us the way):

- Marks inside 50: 15-8
- Tackles inside 50: 26-4

So, the recipe is:
- Fight it out at the stop/contest.
- Own the outside.
- Maintain possession (and Carlton are a drop back and defend rather than come forward to defend type team).
- Lower your eyes inside 50.
- Create second chance scores.

This game is very winnable. Worrying about Curnow and McKay etc - I get it, but it is what it is. Move the ball well - doesn't need to be perfect but work for one-another - and own territory inside forward half/forward 50.

Cripps will get his - FINE - but don't let the other mids influence the outcome with possessions outside the game (Walsh, Acres, Cerra, Hollands (x2), Saad).

- See it through. It's gonna be tight. Fight it out to the end and take our chances.

bornadog
11-07-2024, 02:54 PM
Why?

Last week they lost.

The Giants killed them for possession (+90) and uncontested marks (+40) and kept the footy off them. Contested possessions and clearances were basically even.

So, the recipe is:
- Own the outside.
- Maintain possession (and Carlton are a drop back and defend rather than come forward to defend type team).

This game is very winnable. Worrying about Curnow and McKay etc - I get it, but it is what it is. Move the ball well - doesn't need to be perfect but work for one-another - and own territory inside forward half/forward 50.

Cripps will get his - FINE - but don't let the other mids influence the outcome with possessions outside the game (Walsh, Acres, Cerra, Hollands (x2), Saad).

- See it through. It's gonna be tight. Fight it out to the end and take our chances.

Love your posts MJP.

I just hope we don't try any dumb moves and just play our players in their best positions and make them chase us and worry about our players, instead of us worrying about theirs. The key will be our pressure which was lacking last week.

Sedat
11-07-2024, 03:04 PM
Why?

Last week they lost.

So, the recipe is:
- Own the outside.

Freo are literally twice as good as the next best clearance team in the comp all season to date, and they also have an elite defensive game. We destroyed them in the middle and got 22 goals on them.

Carlton have the higher profile names but in reality are not travelling as well as Freo are - we are in this game up to our eyeballs if our midfield group approaches with the same intent. We smacked Freo in the mouth and we can do the same against Carlton. What midfielders do Carlton have in elite form behind Cripps and Walsh?

DOG GOD
11-07-2024, 06:03 PM
MJP states we need to lower our eyes going into fwd 50. That?s fine, but how many times do we do it?
I can see us bombing it more in hope than anything, and Darcy and Jamarra flying for everything, getting in each others way as usual.

I hope I?m proven wrong. I may come across as the master of doom, fair enough, I really don?t care. I was one of a few to pick port last week by a decent margin. No rose coloured glasses here.

Our backline is shithouse and if we don?t win the mids battle, we are screwed.

Who?s going to kick our goals if Marra/Bont have quiet ones?
We will be lucky to kick 10 with them contributing.

merantau
11-07-2024, 09:12 PM
The game will be won and lost at the stoppages. This is the time for Tim English to shut his critics up. Ditto our mids.

Bullies
11-07-2024, 09:29 PM
Macrae and Libba need to reinvent themselves as the game gets quicker and they don't.

One needs to take up the tagging role full time. Both have endurance and would have no issue with the run with roles. Both smart enough to hurt the opposition the other way as well. Start this week with Walsh or Cripps.

bornadog
11-07-2024, 09:31 PM
Macrae and Libba need to reinvent themselves as the game gets quicker and they don't.

One needs to take up the tagging role full time. Both have endurance and would have no issue with the run with roles. Both smart enough to hurt the opposition the other way as well. Start this week with Walsh or Cripps.

Remember a few years ago, Macrae tagged Cripps successfully and got quite a few possessions himself.

Bullies
11-07-2024, 09:38 PM
Remember a few years ago, Macrae tagged Crisps successfully and got quite a few possessions himself. We can't afford to let their mids run free as the more good ball they get forward the more they will score. The reason i would like to see Libba/Macrae take up the tagging roles.

Grantysghost
11-07-2024, 11:23 PM
Remember a few years ago, Macrae tagged Crisps successfully and got quite a few possessions himself.

He's always loved tackling a box of pringles.

bornadog
12-07-2024, 09:51 AM
He's always loved tackling a box of pringles.

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/v2/media/16ZIReso/poster.jpg?width=720

mjp
12-07-2024, 02:26 PM
MJP states we need to lower our eyes going into fwd 50. That?s fine, but how many times do we do it?
I can see us bombing it more in hope than anything, and Darcy and Jamarra flying for everything, getting in each others way as usual.

You're right of course...but we just have to hit up this week as Carlton fall back defensively.

Our backline is shithouse and if we don?t win the mids battle, we are screwed.

Yeah - agree - we have to win territory. But if we have a strength, it's in the mids.

Who?s going to kick our goals if Marra/Bont have quiet ones?
We will be lucky to kick 10 with them contributing.

Well...I think that's harsh.
#1: Of course we need our best players playing well/at least contributing.
#2: West is playing, Weightman is playing, Darcy is playing...a few weeks back we had no Weightman, no Darcy, no Naughton...that list of outs is a lot smaller now.