PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 19 vs Geelong 2024

GVGjr
19-07-2024, 07:58 PM
Please list the 3 things learned from our game against Geelong.

1eyedog
20-07-2024, 11:03 PM
1. Jamarra = wow

2. Buku, was more Tom Stewart than Tom Stewart tonight. I am being proven wrong.

3. Need to find some money for Lobby.

Mofra
20-07-2024, 11:18 PM
1. Playing 3 mobile talls & a bunch of pressure guys around them makes our forwardline brilliant regardless of conditions

2. Lobb is the best CHB we've had since a year of Naughton or perhaps that brief moment in time when Tom Williams was fit

3. Ed Richards is an absolute revelation as a midfielder - and picking up Bramble & Freijah means we can keep him there

Testekill
20-07-2024, 11:20 PM
1. Lobb has suddenly turned into a composed, one-grab interceptor once thrown behind the ball. He always seemed terrified of contact as a contested mark so it's a big change and he has been killing it.

2. Jamarra is having more and more games where he believes that he's the next big thing. To back up smashing Weitering by 4 goals with 4 against Stewart and Kolodjashni is a testament to his skills

3. McNeil may not be the cleanest player but he does a lot of the little things and just needs to finish on his good work so that people will acknowledge him.

hujsh
20-07-2024, 11:21 PM
3. Ed Richards is an absolute revelation as a midfielder - and picking up Bramble & Freijah means we can keep him there

That moment when Freijah stole a handpass running towards our goal was maybe the first time I've seen that since JJ did it in 2016 I think round 2 against the Saints.

Real belief and confidence building there

Mofra
20-07-2024, 11:23 PM
That moment when Freijah stole a handpass running towards our goal was maybe the first time I've seen that since JJ did it in 2016 I think round 2 against the Saints.

That was great - he saw what was unfolding, and you can't teach that into a kid. Natural footballer

macca
20-07-2024, 11:24 PM
1. Playing 3 mobile talls & a bunch of pressure guys around them makes our forwardline brilliant regardless of conditions

2. Lobb is the best CHB we've had since a year of Naughton or perhaps that brief moment in time when Tom Williams was fit

1. So pleasing to see the team click and were pretty consistent tonight. They are putting all the planning , coaching and execution together. Huge pressure on tackling, huge 2 way running, and just some great marks . Lobb's marks were fab tonight. Really impressed

2. We are really even team, players are really standing up and playing their roles : Lobb and Buku. Weightman, West and McNeal fwd pressure. JuH really used his speed and agility tonight . English stamping his physical prescence and playing a kick in defense to be that marking back option. Bambles has been so clean.

3. The players are hungry. Bonts said in interview " WE are up for the fight" .
We are outside the 8, but 1 win away from 4th!. It is a really even comp. I have belief in this group tonight to go deep int September. We just need to have some luck with injuries and less stupid disgraceful umpire calls and we are a chance this year.

We knocked off top 2 , 3 tonight with crap umpiring. We are going to cause some damage to the top 8. I want to see the players more physical with the run home, as things are clicking and they are maturing.

Geelong stadium was a mud heap tonight and utter shit hole even with the billions they pumped into it.

Really enjoyed the game tonight in terrible conditions.

whythelongface
20-07-2024, 11:25 PM
1. Bramble has been really good. Has been so much better than expectations and really has helped our structure. Great pick up.

2. Lobb and Buku have been great last two weeks. Imagine what we will be like with Jones back.

3. We are the real deal. On our day we can win the whole bloody thing.

jazzadogs
20-07-2024, 11:31 PM
1 Cody is surprisingly one of our cleanest wet weather players. He didn't care that he was playing on a s***hole mudheap pissant no wings pork barrel stadium. Every time he went for the ball he took it one grab - really impressive!

2 English played a great rucks game. I probably should have put him in my votes. He's such a better player when he takes front position in the ruck contests.

3 Sam Darcy has added another incredible skill to his toolbox - 11 tackles from a key forward is unbelievable. The intercept contest across CHF was huge. He's my favourite player at the moment.

hujsh
20-07-2024, 11:33 PM
1. We have a defence that is NOT completely reliant on a 44 year old bloke we found wandering Far North QLD mumbling something about vaccines (and a very good 44 year old he is).

2. We're starting to put together a portfolio of wins where we dominate, waste opportunities but refuse to relent when the opposition comes at us and still win.

3. Our backup for if English leaves is pre-occupied with a position he's even better at. We need to either sign English or have a target ready to go. The Lobster has found his home.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-07-2024, 11:34 PM
1. I think even the most strident anti Bevo supporter, has to tip their hat to him. He's made some bold moves this year. I did not have Richards being a AA level inside mid, or Lobb becoming the second coming of Glenn Jakovich on my bingo card.

2. Lobb, Buku, Poulter, Bramble, McNeil, West, et al, the bottom half of our best 22, they rose tonight. And if that's the level they can all go to, consistently there is no doubt we're as good as any side in the competition this year.

3. What a nightmare JUH, Darcy, Naughton, Weightman and now adding West to that group.. what a headache for a defensive opposition coach. Again, at the level they performed tonight, that's as goof a forward line going around.

westdog54
20-07-2024, 11:41 PM
1. Jamarra is coming of age. And I have a very happy 12yo at home who absolutely adores him.

2. Our "bottom 6" have lifted, to the point it's hard to figure out who is in that category.

3. In case anyone needed a reminder of how batshit insane this season is, as things stand we are a win off second place, and only Sydney and Brisbane have superior percentages.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:07 AM
1. Jamarra is coming of age. And I have a very happy 12yo at home who absolutely adores him.

2. Our "bottom 6" have lifted, to the point it's hard to figure out who is in that category.

3. In case anyone needed a reminder of how batshit insane this season is, as things stand we are a win off second place, and only Sydney and Brisbane have superior percentages.

Plus Brisbane's % doesn't count as they have a draw.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:09 AM
1. We no longer have to just rely on Bont to win games

2. Our Three headed monster are a real headache for opposition

3. English the last two weeks is suddenly getting aggressive and he is starting to mature. His numbers are about the same as Gawn and Grundy at the same age.

westbulldog
21-07-2024, 12:13 AM
1. Lobb has found his niche at CHB, destroyed Cameron.
2. Ed Richards is becoming a very good mid.
3. English had his most influential game for awhile.

hujsh
21-07-2024, 12:15 AM
1. We no longer have to just rely on Bont to win games

2. Our Three headed monster are a real headache for opposition

3. English the last two weeks is suddenly getting aggressive and he is starting to mature. His numbers are about the same as Gawn and Grundy at the same age.

How do you mean? Seems a long way behind Gawn for hitouts at the same age (28 vs 44 a game)

azabob
21-07-2024, 12:34 AM
1. Our players adjusted to the wet conditions and stuck fat the whole game. Kept the ball moving forward all night.

2. That is the best we have handballed as a team in years. Weightman, Darcy, Marra their handballing game was so impressive.

3. Our boys are growing up. Two weeks in a row, top four teams have challenged us big time and we have steadied and gone on with the job.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:35 AM
How do you mean? Seems a long way behind Gawn for hitouts at the same age (28 vs 44 a game)

BTW Tim is 26 years old. Yes Gawn has higher Hitouts, not sure on HTA, but Tim's around the ground is superior

GVGjr
21-07-2024, 12:40 AM
1 - When we win games no one does a stocktake on how many players have played less than 50 senior games.

2 - the playing list is a bit deeper than many give the club credit for.

3 - credit to all of the traditional whipping boys. Adjusted their games and handled the conditions

hujsh
21-07-2024, 12:50 AM
BTW Tim is 26 years old. Yes Gawn has higher Hitouts, not sure on HTA, but Tim's around the ground is superior
Same age (turning 27). Seems similar around the ground but Gawn a long way ahead as a ruck. Which is fine, I don't know that Tim has to be as good as the best ruck of the last decade or two. He plays a different game and if he can be more assertive like he has been the last couple weeks then that's enough when paired with his other strengths to be a really good player.
https://i.ibb.co/x1f5QM3/Capture.png

Mantis
21-07-2024, 01:02 AM
1/ Our best is better than all the rest.

JanLorMill
21-07-2024, 01:06 AM
1/ Our best is better than all the rest.
Big statement but agree. I wish we see it more often.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 01:10 AM
Big statement but agree. I wish we see it more often.

We have won 7 of last 10

Go_Dogs
21-07-2024, 08:54 AM
1. We have depth, and quality, across all three lines in all types of roles. The players who were at the lower end of the depth charts have levelled up and now we must aspire for more.

2. We are great in the wet.

3. Watching Scott’s face when they lose brings me more joy than it should.

merantau
21-07-2024, 09:15 AM
1. We brought 2016-like pressure to the contest all over the ground. When the opposition is forced into kick hurriedly into forward 50 it makes it so much easier for our defenders. Our mids really helped our defence and English in particular was very good "in the hole". Lobb, Buku, Bramble - superb games

2. Immense forward pressure is a joy to behold.

3. We are in this season up to our necks and will put the stamp on that at the SCG next week.

muzzyahoy
21-07-2024, 09:41 AM
1) Freijah has a bit of Lindsay Gilbee about him. Pretty impressed with his first 10 games of footy. Has gone from strength to strength each week imo.

2) Almost English's best game as a Bulldog. Probably helped that centre bounces were only tossed up, stopped him from over thinking probably the worst part of his game.

3) Weightman was exceptional tonight, has been for the past couple of weeks. His ability to make the right decision and choice to do the 1%er's when they matter most, is such an unheralded part of his game. As good as he is overhead, the more he stays on the ground, the better he plays, i think

hujsh
21-07-2024, 10:35 AM
1) Freijah has a bit of Lindsay Gilbee about him. Pretty impressed with his first 10 games of footy. Has gone from strength to strength each week imo.

2) Almost English's best game as a Bulldog. Probably helped that centre bounces were only tossed up, stopped him from over thinking probably the worst part of his game.

3) Weightman was exceptional tonight, has been for the past couple of weeks. His ability to make the right decision and choice to do the 1%er's when they matter most, is such an unheralded part of his game. As good as he is overhead, the more he stays on the ground, the better he plays, i think

I personally think he's alright at the center bounces historically because he was able to run and jump at the ball. The throw ins and ball ups were where he'd come unstuck, giving away front position trying to get a run and jump but being boxed out. With the new rule he doesn't even get that clear run up at the centre bounce so maybe it's forced a change in his approach?

DOG GOD
21-07-2024, 11:29 AM
1. Darcy?WOW..just WOW. Imagine a few more pre seasons into his frame. Will be unstoppable if he remains injury free.

2. Jamarra can do the hard things when he has that mindset to really compete.

3. Lobb is fast tracking to be the next Liam Jones success story of FWD to Backman.

Happy Days
21-07-2024, 01:17 PM
1. Rory Lobb is Jeremy Cameron father

2. We might just be the best wet weather team in the AFL. Our players willingness to attack the ball was overwhelming and the skill level for the most part (ie when not kicking at goal) was excellent. Surprising because we only play at a shithole ground once a year whereas the Cats do it every second week.

3. The ground surface being chopped up is one thing, but windows fogging up in the coaches box are you for real. Maybe they need another $40m to get some air conditioning put in.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-07-2024, 01:29 PM
1. We can beat Geelong in Geelong when they are flying, no one picked us.
2. There is a developing synergy in our tall and talented team.
3. When we have that spread with our talent and intent we are unbeatable even in this even season.

Boots
21-07-2024, 03:26 PM
1. The tall forward line works really well when the rest of the team clicks. The tall forwards don’t have to kick all the goals but when teams can’t predict if the goal will come from a forward or someone else pushing up quickly, it really works. That relies on fast, decisive ball movement, so we really have to be switched on.

2. Adam Treloar is just a magnificent player. After he gave away that 50m penalty he showed up everywhere u til he’s scored back the goal he gave away. He didn’t get tilted, he just went about it with feeling and got it done.

3. I had underestimated how good it feels to stick it to the cats

D Mitchell
21-07-2024, 03:34 PM
1. The tall forward line works really well when the rest of the team clicks. The tall forwards don?t have to kick all the goals but when teams can?t predict if th...

...the tall forwards, Naughton excused, continue with 2nd and 3rd efforts instead of picking themselves up, slowly, watching their opponents running the ball out and spotting up oppo mids/forwards then pointing at team mates whilst slowly jogging back to position. I reckon the numbers of games lost since 2021, because of lazy forwards, over the past 3 years, has absented the club from meaningful finals.

AshMac
21-07-2024, 06:35 PM
1. Backline worked as one cohesive unit. Great mix of players made the 6 over the game and gelled very well together
2. Watch 3-4 goals kicked due to overlap run from turnovers was difficult but it happened rarely and was a huge improvement on our game against them earlier this year
3. We came to play wet weather footy

???????

4. Love beating those pricks! Particularly down there

D Mitchell
21-07-2024, 07:02 PM
1. ......
4. Love beating those pricks! Particularly down there

If you were there, cherish the memory, it doesn't happen often

bornadog
21-07-2024, 07:06 PM
...the tall forwards, Naughton excused, continue with 2nd and 3rd efforts instead of picking themselves up, slowly, watching their opponents running the ball out and spotting up oppo mids/forwards then pointing at team mates whilst slowly jogging back to position. I reckon the numbers of games lost since 2021, because of lazy forwards, over the past 3 years, has absented the club from meaningful finals.

Don't agree, we are regularly ranked as one of the best tackling sides in F50, currently ranked second

D Mitchell
21-07-2024, 08:18 PM
Don't agree, we are regularly ranked as one of the best tackling sides in F50, currently ranked second

We've had this debate in another thread, BAD, it isn't where on the ground tackles occur, it's who performs them. That's the stat you should look at. But it isn't only tackles, it's pressure, second and third efforts that count. Naughton's good, Darcy's poor, Ugle-Hagan appallingly bad for a 4th year player. I haven't seen the past 2 games so rely upon media reports, which indicate a miraculous transformation in that aspect of the games of the 3, particularly Ugle-Hagan. If true, let's hope that it becomes permanent.

SlimPickens
21-07-2024, 08:18 PM
1. I suspected Bramble was keeping his spot in the team mid year because of his ability to lock down on a dangerous small forward. The job he did on Miers and Stengle last night confirmed this, the additional positive was his drive and ball use.

2. Rory Lobb just wow. I?m so pleased for him and us supporters.

3. Our mud pigs lick their lips in the wet. Here is hoping for a wet September!

bornadog
21-07-2024, 08:30 PM
We've had this debate in another thread, BAD, it isn't where on the ground tackles occur, it's who performs them. That's the stat you should look at. But it isn't only tackles, it's pressure, second and third efforts that count. Naughton's good, Darcy poor, Ugle-Hagan appallingly bad for a 4th year player. I haven't seen the past 2 games so rely upon media reports, which indicate a miraculous transformation in that aspect of the games of the 3, particularly Ugle-Hagan. If true, let's hope that it becomes permanent.

Darcy 11 tackles last night.

Bulldog Joe
21-07-2024, 08:31 PM
We've had this debate in another thread, BAD, it isn't where on the ground tackles occur, it's who performs them. That's the stat you should look at. But it isn't only tackles, it's pressure, second and third efforts that count. Naughton's good, Darcy poor, Ugle-Hagan appallingly bad for a 4th year player. I haven't seen the past 2 games so rely upon media reports, which indicate a miraculous transformation in that aspect of the games of the 3, particularly Ugle-Hagan. If true, let's hope that it becomes permanent.

Not sure how you can label Darcy poor for his pressure and tackling.
He had 11 tackles and his ability to halve a ground contest that I think he has no right to be competitive with just astounds me.

You could forgive him being a bit off in that area with his other attributes but he just competes.

D Mitchell
21-07-2024, 08:44 PM
Darcy 11 tackles last night.
..Ugle-Hagan 1, Naughton 0.

D Mitchell
21-07-2024, 08:53 PM
Not sure how you can label Darcy poor for his pressure and tackling.
He had 11 tackles and his ability to halve a ground contest that I think he has no right to be competitive with just astounds me.

You could forgive him being a bit off in that area with his other attributes but he just competes.

One swallow a summer does not make. I have no quarrel with Darcy's competitive efforts and he doesn't give up as soon as the marking contest is over. He still lacks the body strength to effectively tackle. That said, he takes a spot in the team and defence starts at the full back line.

The Underdog
21-07-2024, 08:55 PM

This is McSteal erasure

hujsh
21-07-2024, 09:08 PM
This is McSteal erasure

Proudly

(is actually looking alright aside from that one shot at goal)

CarnTheScray
22-07-2024, 12:44 AM
You say that as if JUH didn?t kick 4 goals.

Here?s som questions I already know the answer to:
How many tackles did Amiss and Tracy have this round?
What about Hipwood and Daniher?
Curnow and McKay?
Fogarty and Thilthorpe?

Happy Days
22-07-2024, 12:48 AM

Personally I find it crazy that you haven’t watched the last two games (only our best two efforts for the season) yet still feel the need to criticise players for perceived half efforts that didn’t actually happen.

jeemak
22-07-2024, 01:43 AM
We've had this debate in another thread, BAD, it isn't where on the ground tackles occur, it's who performs them. That's the stat you should look at. But it isn't only tackles, it's pressure, second and third efforts that count. Naughton's good, Darcy's poor, Ugle-Hagan appallingly bad for a 4th year player. I haven't seen the past 2 games so rely upon media reports, which indicate a miraculous transformation in that aspect of the games of the 3, particularly Ugle-Hagan. If true, let's hope that it becomes permanent.

Just watch the games mate, they're awesome and lots of fun.

D Mitchell
22-07-2024, 05:52 AM
Personally I find it crazy that you haven’t watched the last two games (only our best two efforts for the season) yet still feel the need to criticise players for perceived half efforts that didn’t actually happen.
My assessment of the defensive games of our tall forwards isn't based on what happed in the last 2 games, it is based on lack of, 2nd & 3rd efforts, chase, applying pressure etc and from watching, ground level, half forward/back over the last 4 years or so, opposition defenders waltz out of F50 under no pressure whilst our tall forwards stand watching. The tackles stat was raised by Bornadog, pointing to Darcy's 11 tackle stat, amazing for a still skinny young tall. My first comment in this thread was motivated by a commentator's positive observation on Ugle-Hagan?s pressure game. If that's what happened then that's a welcome, major improvement.

chef
22-07-2024, 08:10 AM

Though it doesn't show up in stats Jamarra is killing plenty of contests with body work when not in a position to mark, he really has turned the corner lately and is looking the complete footballer.