PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 19, 2024 vs Geelong

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-07-2024, 09:09 AM
This is the Round 19, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once this evening's game against Geelong has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-07-2024, 11:20 PM
Bankers

1. Our mids. - Ed Richards is an AA level Midfielder, and I suggest you let that marinate for a while.
Maybe the club all of a sudden is not so concerned if Bailey Smith doesn't want to be a part of this group going forward?

2. Our Defenders - I'm sure everyone will get Buku, Bramble and Lobb here, so i wanna call out Duryea. I really hope we sign him on another year. He's really standing up as one of our all time best value gets.

3. Our forwards. Weightman absolutely played some game as a small forward tonight... the pressure and pace he hit the ball, picking up half volley's at full speed like it was a dry day in pre Christmas training on the Sunshine Coast instead of at a boghole that more resembles a Manchester bog than a football field.

Anchors

1. Umpires

2. The boghole we played on

3. Our goalkicking.

SquirrelGrip
20-07-2024, 11:44 PM
Bankers

1 The Coach - often outgunned by the Cats Coach Grumpy, our coaching team kept us on top all night
2 Our defence held them to their lowest score of the year. Who’d have thought at the start of the season that Lobb, Buku, Bramble, Freijah and Coffield would beat the cats in Geelong?
3 our small forwards - West, McNeil, Laith and Riley - their pressure was immense

Amchors

1 CFMEU Stadium - not AFL standard
2 Goalkicking
3 Commentary team of Nicholson, Watson, Ling and Thomas was below C-Grade

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Extra Banker to those Woofer's who made the trek down there tonight.

whythelongface
21-07-2024, 12:14 AM
Bankers

1. Our mids. - Ed Richards is an AA level Midfielder, and I suggest you let that marinate on that for a while.
Maybe the club all of a sudden is not so concerned if Bailey Smith doesn't want to be a part of this group going forward?

2. Our Defenders - I'm sure everyone will get Buku, Bramble and Lobb here, so i wanna call out Duryea. I really hope we sign him on another year. He's really standing up as one of our all time best value gets.

3. Our forwards. Weightman absolutely played some game as a small forward tonight... the pressure and pace he hit the ball, picking up half volley's at full speed like it was a dry day in pre Christmas training on the Sunshine Coast instead of at a boghole that more resembles a Manchester bog than a football field.

Anchors

1. Umpires

3. Our goalkicking.

Great call out on Duryea. Very underrated (maybe not by Woofers) - his leadership down back is outstanding and has a cool head.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:19 AM
Bankers

1. Brambles bit of play when he ran around a few Geelong players and gave Naughton a beauitful pass in the goal square.

2. JUH goals in the last quarter, he came alive.

3. Defence - very solid, Lobb, Buku, Duryea, Bramble, Dale were all very good

Anchors

1. Appalling surface at Sedat Park. VFL should not have played there when they saw rain was forecast.

2. VDM - needs to find the ball, or he should be dropped. I know he does alot of running and pressuring, but you need to get a kick in this game. VDM in last. He has the ball at HBF, sees Richards by himself on the wing, decides to ignore him and kick it down the ground to Naughton who has two players on him. Must be smarter than that.

3. The rules of AFL stuffed up- the 50m against Adz, the many incorrect disposals, throwing the ball not paid, so called deliberate, but if you don't stand stand stand you will be penalised.

hujsh
21-07-2024, 12:22 AM
3. The rules of AFL stuffed up- the 50m against Adz, the many incorrect disposals, throwing the ball not paid, so called deliberate, but if you don't stand stand stand you will be penalised.

If I remember right it wasnt the stand rule, it was not throwing the ball back quick enough. Still silly how often do blokes get away with just standing over the ball and pushing around the guy trying to pick it up?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-07-2024, 12:25 AM
I may not be too observant, but we got pinged twice tonight for our failure to adhere to 6-6-6- on reset?
So we clearly ignored previous umpire warnings.. If so we gotta cut that crap out.. that could've and probably would've been costly against a more in-form version of Geelong. Have many other team's been penalised for this infringement this year? I've only recalled warnings?

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:26 AM
If I remember right it wasnt the stand rule it was not throwing the ball back quick enough. Still silly how often do blokes get away with just standing over the ball and pushing around the guy trying to pick it up?

3rd Anchor was a general comment about all games. Umpires don't umpire the fundamentals of the game and worry too much about stupid things like stand, or the Treloar supposedly not giving the ball back quick enough. It must have been what 3 seconds. Very costly.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:27 AM
I may not be too observant, but we got pinged twice tonight for our failure to adhere to 6-6-6- on reset?
So we clearly ignored previous umpire warnings.. If so we gotta cut that crap out.. that could've and probably would've been costly against a more in-form version of Geelong. Have many other team's been penalised for this infringement this year? I've only recalled warnings?

First time I have ever seen penalties for another stupid Hocking rule

The bulldog tragician
21-07-2024, 12:34 AM
Bankers

1. Our mids. - Ed Richards is an AA level Midfielder, and I suggest you let that marinate for a while.

Anchors

1. Umpires

3. Our goalkicking.

I think these are just perfect especially the call out of Duryea. He has had a really good year. He looks quicker?! Seems to be taking more risks and coming up the ground higher.

If I had to add some:
English too as an under-appreciated banker. He was physical, his work beneath his knees terrific, and his saving marks in the wet Gary Dempsey-esque.
Bailey Dale not just superb in attack, his defending efforts (not always a strength) great.
Bont’s smother after a series of Shane Biggs-style desperate acts in the forward line - the skipper leads from the front.

anchors:

The entitled crowd, so used to getting everything, mindlessly yell Ball at every moment
VDM. Jack Macrae must have wondered why, as he watched the total lack of football nous on display.
That music after goals. Not much would break my love for the Bulldogs but if we ever stoop that low…

bornadog
21-07-2024, 12:37 AM
That music after goals. Not much would break my love for the Bulldogs but if we ever stoop that low…

Yes that is a huge Anchor - pathetic stuff

azabob
21-07-2024, 12:38 AM

Three times we got done for it. One warning and then two penalties

whythelongface
21-07-2024, 12:45 AM
Bankers

1 The Coach - often outgunned by the Cats Coach Grumpy, our coaching team kept us on top all night
2 Our defence held them to their lowest score of the year. Who’d have thought at the start of the season that Lobb, Buku, Bramble, Freijah and Coffield would beat the cats in Geelong?
3 our small forwards - West, McNeil, Laith and Riley - their pressure was immense

Amchors

1 CFMEU Stadium - not AFL standard
2 Goalkicking
3 Commentary team of Nicholson, Watson, Ling and Thomas was below C-Grade

Credit where credit is due but didn’t Watson state that a repeat of the 2016 GF is on the cards? That kinda lifts the commentary rating to C+ - but yes agree that is an ordinary line up. Thomas should stick to Sportsbet

Scorlibo
21-07-2024, 12:11 PM
Bankers

Weightman - thought he was outstanding with his forward connection work. He was the one that looked like he was playing with a dry ball. That half forward connection piece isn't something we've really seen with Cody consistently but it really worked out for him in that area last night.

Buku & Rory - aggressive and confident in the wet, repelled so many attacks, absolutely torched the Cats forwards. Probably the most nerve-racking positions going into the last two rounds, for them to have simply provided good effort down back would have been a win, but to be genuine difference makers is something I couldn't have seen coming and a huge asset to the team.

Freijah - Has been so impressive with how well he's settled in at the level. Kids as young and inexperienced as him can be excused for making a bunch of mistakes, but I can't recall many in 10 senior games. Yet now it looks like we're starting to see some of the damage he might be able to inflict on the rebound, loved his last quarter.

Anchors

Just one - we're a very good side, probably worthy of a top four spot. Yet through a combination of a tough draw and lapses in games earlier in the season, we're still out of the eight. We need to keep the foot on the pedal and make finals to frank our effort this season.

Ozza
22-07-2024, 10:15 AM
Bankers:

Darcy's footy IQ - his first 2-3 involvements I thought 'geez the big boy is going to struggle tonight' and then he quickly made the adjustments and was brilliant. Brilliant in the air, and tougher than he should be with his frame. He's some sort of player.

Lobb - brilliant game. Incredible in the air.

Cody Weightman/Rhylee West - just so brave and hit the contest with speed and ferocity.

Anchors:

Struggling to find any really. I do think on a night like that you need to play the percentages and have Macrae in the main 22 - but we won so hard to be critical.

Kicking at goal didn't end up costing us....but could have.