PDA

View Full Version : The Monday Soapbox - R19

GVGjr
22-07-2024, 10:44 AM
Lets hear what what you want to get on your soapbox about for the round

Mine is the playing surface of the GMHBA stadium which given their light workload on the ground was very poor.
We aren't getting a lot of value of our tax dollars.

comrade
22-07-2024, 11:03 AM
Nepo baby Jobe Watson getting a commentary gig when he?s clearly not competent. There were numerous stammers and gaffes during our game but my favourite was when he completely butchered it and said ?better to die wondering? hahaha

bornadog
22-07-2024, 11:37 AM
The State of Sedat Park ground. In this day and age the ground should be able to drain properly and not have water pool and create mud. The ground was really disgusting.

Axe Man
22-07-2024, 11:48 AM
FIXTURE INTEG-CAT-RY

Exclude 2020 (Covid) and look at the Victorian teams who play in Geelong. Western Bulldogs have now played there in nine out of the past 10 seasons, North Melbourne in six out of the past six seasons, St Kilda in five out of the past six seasons and Melbourne in seven out of eight seasons before this year. Hawthorn played its first game down the highway since 2006 this year and Richmond also made a rare appearance this season. Demons president Kate Roffey explained why. ?People continue to ask me why do we have to go and play in Geelong every year? And I say big clubs don?t go to play in Geelong. When you?ve got 75,000-85,000 members, you don?t have to go down and play there.? It?s impossible to argue with Roffey and the decline of the Hawks and Tigers validates her theory. But is that right? For all of the complaining from non-Victorian clubs about travel inequities there is also a fixture integrity issue in football heartland. Just as the WA clubs should receive a fairer load, perhaps the Dogs, Saints, Roos and Dees could have a year off from Geelong and be replaced by Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon from time to time.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/early-tackle-sam-landsbergers-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-19/news-story/b3ca61eeebf6fbe2267dd2b7ccfbc2d0)

bornadog
22-07-2024, 11:50 AM
FIXTURE INTEG-CAT-RY

Exclude 2020 (Covid) and look at the Victorian teams who play in Geelong. Western Bulldogs have now played there in nine out of the past 10 seasons, North Melbourne in six out of the past six seasons, St Kilda in five out of the past six seasons and Melbourne in seven out of eight seasons before this year. Hawthorn played its first game down the highway since 2006 this year and Richmond also made a rare appearance this season. Demons president Kate Roffey explained why. ?People continue to ask me why do we have to go and play in Geelong every year? And I say big clubs don?t go to play in Geelong. When you?ve got 75,000-85,000 members, you don?t have to go down and play there.? It?s impossible to argue with Roffey and the decline of the Hawks and Tigers validates her theory. But is that right? For all of the complaining from non-Victorian clubs about travel inequities there is also a fixture integrity issue in football heartland. Just as the WA clubs should receive a fairer load, perhaps the Dogs, Saints, Roos and Dees could have a year off from Geelong and be replaced by Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon from time to time.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/early-tackle-sam-landsbergers-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-19/news-story/b3ca61eeebf6fbe2267dd2b7ccfbc2d0)

AFL absolute joke

Happy Days
22-07-2024, 12:00 PM
Nepo baby Jobe Watson getting a commentary gig when he?s clearly not competent. There were numerous stammers and gaffes during our game but my favourite was when he completely butchered it and said ?better to die wondering? hahaha

He did call us winning the flag (!!!) somewhere in there. You’ll never guess what frame of reference he used to put his prediction across.

Happy Days
22-07-2024, 12:01 PM
FIXTURE INTEG-CAT-RY

Just as we finally win down there - typical.

chef
22-07-2024, 12:37 PM
The State of Sedat Park ground. In this day and age the ground should be able to drain properly and not have water pool and create mud. The ground was really disgusting.

TBH the stadium is amazing nowadays, wish we had one.

They are spending 4 mil on drainage at the end of the season too, the problem was playing a curtain raiser is that weather. Pretty dumb. Was only one half of the ground.

mjp
22-07-2024, 12:45 PM

I loved it mate. Felt like footy. You don't need a pristine patch of grass to stick your head in the hole.

GVGjr
22-07-2024, 02:15 PM
I loved it mate. Felt like footy. You don't need a pristine patch of grass to stick your head in the hole.

While I sort of agree, there isn't a lot of footy played there and it appears to have been not maintained as it should have been. They've spent a fortune on various upgrades, the surface shouldn't be as challenged as it was on Saturday night.