PDA

View Full Version : Tom Barrass

jazzadogs
22-07-2024, 07:16 PM
Making his own thread, as it seems our interest is legitimate and ongoing.

Tom Morris is reporting that he has been offered five years from the Bulldogs. He is contracted for three years at the Eagles plus an extension of one.

Reposting what I just put in the List Management thread...

Never played over 20 games. Starting from his debut season of 2015: 3, 10, 19, 19, 14, 18, 16, 19, 14, 17.

Recent injuries with lengthy layoffs include a stress fracture in his foot in 2019, a hip injury in 2023 and a fractured back which he says he will have to manage for the rest of his career:

"West Coast premiership hero Tom Barrass has opened up on the back injury that almost ended his AFL career and permanently altered his life.
Sitting down with 7NEWS for an exclusive interview, the 28-year-old said he's lucky to still be walking, let alone playing.
Barrass broke his back in a split-second contest against Richmond last year.
"I went up for a mark. Jack Riewoldt came back into me and tunnelled me a little bit. I've gone over and landed on my neck effectively," he told 7NEWS Perth's Ryan Daniels.
'It was a compression fracture to my T8 (vertebrae) and I've wedged about five of my other vertebrae a bit shorter. It's just something I'm going to have to manage forever.
"I'm very lucky that I'm not a paraplegic or quadriplegic."

I think there are good reasons to be concerned about his longevity. I'm a fan of recruiting him, but five years is a big investment...

So I think there are a few key questions about Barrass...
- how many years/what salary do you think is reasonable?
- what trade price do you think is reasonable?
- is he even GETTABLE?

Go_Dogs
22-07-2024, 07:19 PM
Lobb > Barrass

Go_Dogs
22-07-2024, 07:20 PM
On a serious note, it’s worth consideration as he’ll play for a longer term than Jones and is a quality player.

Would I pay an early first for him? No.

Would I pay a late first and something else? Probably.

Does he keep Buss from the senior side once he’s ready? Maybe.

hujsh
22-07-2024, 07:23 PM
Even if he says he wants to come his contract status will make it hard for any deal to happen you'd think. Can see their price being too high and walking away from a first rounder

Grantysghost
22-07-2024, 07:32 PM
We need our eye in the sky over in the west to give us their thoughts.

https://i.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNTJycjZiMjY3emhnb3M2OXg4MzQ0MDBzbzJ3a2x1Z Tc1bDBheG52OCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/l0G171npAsBgVauBi/giphy.gif

bulldogtragic
22-07-2024, 07:32 PM
A. He’s currently on $750,000 a year according to old reports on Google. You’d have to think that’s the starting point. So let’s look at his comp wide rankings:

* Ranked 9th in One Percenters Per Game
● Ranked 13th in Intercepts Per Game
● Ranked 18th in Time On Ground % Per Game
● Ranked 5th in Total One Percenters
● Ranked 7th in Total Intercepts
● Ranked 12th in Total Contested Marks
● Ranked 17th in Total Marks

So he’s clearly not going backwards in form. 7th for intercepts, 12th for CM. Naughton gets $1.1M and Marra a $1M. Barrass output probably gets him closer to that. Perhaps more around $850,000. If we need to incentivise him to request us, maybe $900,000. Which when accounting for cap rises isn’t massive.

4 years and a 5th trigger similar to Keath sounds fair. Although I’m not against the 5th.

It’s on us to get him to request a trade out and select us. An ok deal ain’t doing that. So unless we want to get him to want to leave and select us, we need to offer a deal that does that. It’s simple. He’s not moving across the country away from family and friends for a similar deal.

B. Let’s say Smith goes to Geelong for their first and a swap of their F1 for our F2. WCE have reportedly shown interest in Garcia according to media reports. Garcia doesn’t hold huge value but may be a player of interest. So perhaps the Geelong first this year (mid teen to late teen pick after compo and bids etc) and Garcia.

C. Don’t know. But his management are clearly letting WCE management know they want the 5th year. So I guess we offer it and see what WCE want to do.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2024, 07:38 PM

on list transition though. Say Keath retires.

Next year:

Jones, Barass, Lobb, Buss, JOD (Khamis hopefully more 3rd tall with freedom to intercept more), Croft developing and Gardner hanging around

2026:

Barass, Lobb, Buss, JOD, Croft as a third year tall & Khamis

That looks pretty solid the next two years and if Croft & Khamis keep developing, it’s solid longer term too. It basically shores up our KPD & KPF for years (assuming they all re-sign).

bulldogtragic
22-07-2024, 07:44 PM
Additionally, if Baz leaves, Tim stays on a fair wage and the club doesn’t bid against itself and say one of Macrae or Daniel looks at another club (media reports of interest in them) then there’s going to be some cash around the place even after Naughty & Marra signing and Darcy needing more, sooner. So I’m not as hung up here if other salary cap decisions are also balanced.

Per the percentage thread I’ve been updating, our scoring this year is above trend. Our defence needs to save a goal a game to get to 2016 & 2021 levels. Barass probably does that for us. He probably helps at least secure one more win this year in which case we are well into the top 8. So it makes a lot of sense.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2024, 08:07 PM
This is the grab from Morris:

Tom Barrass (West Coast)

“Tom Barrass is genuinely weighing up what he wants to do.

“I think this is flipping and flopping.

“The Adam Simpson departure I think increases the chances that he stays.

“It's just a waiting game at the moment. Of course, West Coast can hold on to him - he’s got three years remaining on a deal.

“But my understanding is the Dogs would be willing to offer at least two more seasons on top of that.

“So five years for a player who turns 29 soon and as a flow on, it'll be interesting to see how this affects Rory Lobb as well.

“It's just whether he wants to go there and whether West Coast could facilitate that.”

bulldogtragic
22-07-2024, 08:12 PM
Morris additionally:

Tim English (Western Bulldogs)

“Tim English is the other one.

“Rivals believe this deal at West Coast is six years and not as lucrative financially as it once was.

“The Dogs have five on the table. That's where it's at and I don't think the Dogs are going to shift too much given Luke Beverage's views on ruckmen.

“He can leave if he wants and I think that looks more likely now than staying.”

(Maybe we let him go as a RFA getting us first round compo and do a trade of say the Geelong first & Garcia.)

bulldogfan
22-07-2024, 08:13 PM
But also cal twomey said english was close to signing so don?t know who to believe

bornadog
22-07-2024, 08:30 PM
I donot want Barrass on a 5 year deal. He is almost 29 years old and would be 34 in his last year - a big risk.

If it was the 3 years, fine.

I think we need to really put all our development into Buss and back him in. As BT pointed out we do have backups for the Backline roles.

Bumper Bulldogs
23-07-2024, 07:56 AM
I?m not sold on it by the way. We have a couple of years of Jones left so can see the development of Lobb, JOD, Croft etc this and next year.

Recutting looks really balanced and measles right now.

For mine the latest gap right now is the replacement of Libba, Doc and a Weightman if he is injured

Jasper
23-07-2024, 09:24 AM
On a serious note, it’s worth consideration as he’ll play for a longer term than Jones and is a quality player.

Would I pay an early first for him? No.

Would I pay a late first and something else? Probably.

He's a quality player but 5 years is a massive commitment. I guess it all depends on how it's structured. Does he want out of WA for any particular reason other than the Eagles are a work in progress and will be for a while? I can't imagine a new coach will want to let hom out of his contract unless he's instructed to rebuild the playing list by the draft.

Testekill
23-07-2024, 04:49 PM
I feel he'd cost a lot of resources to bring over, now that Busslinger has re-signed he'd have been the player that I could have seen being the bartering chip to get Barass but I don't think there's a way to satisfy the Eagles without him.

GVGjr
23-07-2024, 05:43 PM
I feel he'd cost a lot of resources to bring over, now that Busslinger has re-signed he'd have been the player that I could have seen being the bartering chip to get Barass but I don't think there's a way to satisfy the Eagles without him.

It's a tough one, he's a very good defender but he's obviously after a long deal and West Coast will rightfully want a fair bit to part with him given he's already got a 3 year deal in front of him. Given Lobb's form, and I know it's early days, and that we have the likes of O'Donnell, Busslinger and maybe Croft all developing as potential key defenders how urgently do we actually need Barrass?

Getting him across too the Kennel will require a first rounder and we've typically kept our picks. That probably means we are banking on getting something decent if as many believe Bailey Smith walks.

I'd imagine this is a difficult deal to get done.

Kingbiggs
23-07-2024, 06:00 PM
I think it's important to remember we HAVE to offer him 5 years to get him out of there, essentially we want him right now for a flag assault for next 2-3 years, the other years he may be on the list and maybe depth by that stage if his back is no good, but he can be a leader to the younger guys for their development.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2024, 09:49 PM
You've gotta pay to play.

How close do we think we are to a flag? What do we think are the missing ingredients? If the answers are very close, and a key back, it's hard to argue with throwing the sink at this.

Would I do it? I'm not sure. Very good player, but injuries concern me and we'd have to cough up a lot to get him.

If we lose English but gain TB + something else, then do it.

lemmon
23-07-2024, 09:50 PM
I think to get him out of the Eagles, we'll have to sell the farm - and I don't see how a first-rounder does it unless it's top 5. The guy still has three years on his contract and the Eagles need to start getting better. You don't do that by shipping out one of your best and most experienced leaders.

They'll ask the world for him and I don't want to pay that for a 29-year-old. Even if he does request a trade...so what? They can hold him to his contract and by the time it's up he's going to be 32 and pretty close to the end.

I like him, I think he'd be great for us, but the bloke needs to fire his manager. Sounds like he signed a too-long deal on less than he's worth and they're trying to find a club that's willing to give up a huge amount of draft capital to get him out of it.

FrediKanoute
24-07-2024, 02:48 AM
Let see how lobb stands up for the rest of the season. Barass is a great player and would be a good addition, but only at the right price

GVGjr
24-07-2024, 08:17 AM
Let see how lobb stands up for the rest of the season. Barass is a great player and would be a good addition, but only at the right price

It's a fair point, a handful of good games even very good ones doesn't necessarily mean we can lock it in.
Teams will work out a way of minimising his strengths.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2024, 09:07 AM
It's a fair point, a handful of good games even very good ones doesn't necessarily mean we can lock it in.
Teams will work out a way of minimising his strengths.

Exactly. I’m stoked for Rory & the team. But Schache burst as a defender against Melbourne to accolades and destroyed Allir in the PF. Then was gone the next year. Planning for the future on a handful of good games is folly.

Lobb has played a few good games. Jones is getting older and getting injuries. JOD has a knack for knocking himself out. Coffield struggles to stay fit. Khamis is developing. Keath will retire. Gardner should be delisted next year. Buss & Croft haven’t debuted. So there’s a chance we can get a gun KPD to aggressively pursue a flag and we want to be stingy about trading. Maybe we can push for a flag with a Trav Cloke type, or maybe a Trengove. And keep our picks to develop them so they can walk out in a few years. If Barrass wanted to come and Tim & Baz want to be elsewhere. Then why not take Barrass and a first rounder to draft/trade a midfielder.

Mofra
24-07-2024, 09:26 AM
The 'right price' changes substantially if he was out of contract. Being in contract and in a rebuilding team West Coast will demand a lot to let him go.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2024, 10:02 AM
The 'right price' changes substantially if he was out of contract. Being in contract and in a rebuilding team West Coast will demand a lot to let him go.

If we allow Tim to walk there and not demand WCE trade. Additionally offer a first from Baz.

WCE: Tim, First Rounder (GEEL) & Garcia
Dogs: Turn Tim & Baz (& F2) into Barrass, First Rounder (Compo) & F1

Seems like an acceptable outcome if it could be achieved.

Mantis
24-07-2024, 10:06 AM
If we allow Tim to walk there and not demand WCE trade. Additionally offer a first from Baz.

WCE: Tim, First Rounder (GEEL) & Garcia
Dogs: Turn Tim & Baz (& F2) into Barrass, First Rounder (Compo) & F1

Seems like an acceptable outcome if it could be achieved.

If you keep trying to trade out Garcia I?m going to find out where you live BT.

Happy Days
24-07-2024, 10:14 AM

Scary Damian Barrett is that you?

We should trade Garcia for Barrass if we can. He’s good!

bulldogtragic
24-07-2024, 10:16 AM

Fair call. I’d actually prefer to keep him. But the media keep talking about him and have linked him with WCE (& Port), so he’s only in this mix based on this being a WCE mix. We’ve kept far inferior players for longer so I hope he’s extended. I think he’s got the potential to be a handy player. But I can see why his manager isn’t hiding down any speculation. With Baz out the door, I’d have thought we’d just quickly give him a quick extension and move on to others. But it’s not happening… but if WCE demanded him ima trade would you say no?

Mantis
24-07-2024, 11:10 AM
Fair call. I’d actually prefer to keep him. But the media keep talking about him and have linked him with WCE (& Port), so he’s only in this mix based on this being a WCE mix. We’ve kept far inferior players for longer so I hope he’s extended. I think he’s got the potential to be a handy player. But I can see why his manager isn’t hiding down any speculation. With Baz out the door, I’d have thought we’d just quickly give him a quick extension and move on to others. But it’s not happening… but if WCE demanded him ima trade would you say no?

I would say no.

I'm concerned what out midfield will look like in 2026 and whilst Barrass would be handy, I don't think he's not as important now, as he was 5 weeks ago when Lobb wasn't a viable option as a very competent defender.

Given the time, effort and resources we've put into JOD & Buss they need to be our key defenders when Jones gives it away.

mighty_west
24-07-2024, 01:08 PM
I look at our structure and the main reason i would have been all chips in to acquire Barrass was to fill that hole of key defender, just having Jones was never enough as i see JOD, Khamis, Coffield as third talls, with Lobb going back and playing so damn well has shifted my thoughts on Barrass sort of, IF Lobb plays out the rest of the season like this then i'm out on Tom given his likely price tag.

We are in it NOW to contend, we are not a developing side and should be aiming for success this season and beyond and adding Barrass would have plugged that gaping hole for the next 5 or so seasons (back injury pending), but that is now Lobbly's position to grab with both of his bucket hands!

josie
24-07-2024, 04:01 PM
I look at our structure and the main reason i would have been all chips in to acquire Barrass was to fill that hole of key defender, just having Jones was never enough as i see JOD, Khamis, Coffield as third talls, with Lobb going back and playing so damn well has shifted my thoughts on Barrass sort of, IF Lobb plays out the rest of the season like this then i'm out on Tom given his likely price tag.

We are in it NOW to contend, we are not a developing side and should be aiming for success this season and beyond and adding Barrass would have plugged that gaping hole for the next 5 or so seasons (back injury pending), but that is now Lobbly's position to grab with both of his bucket hands!

Agree. And hasn’t Lobb been Lobbly, Lobbly, hasn’t he been Lobbly (apologies to Lerner & Lowe).

Flamethrower
24-07-2024, 04:44 PM
The reason I am all in for getting Barrass is this. Can you imagine a backline where your 3rd best tall is Liam Jones or Rory Lobb in current form.

Half the teams would forfeit when fixtured to play us rather than being on the receiving end of an annihilation, and the other half would park the bus to limit a massive loss in percentage.

mjp
24-07-2024, 05:08 PM
I'd do it.

5 years? Sold.

Go_Dogs
24-07-2024, 05:39 PM
I'd do it.

5 years? Sold.

How good has he looked because of their system and McGovern vs how good would he be at our club? You’d have watched a lot more of him than any of us have.

The Doctor
24-07-2024, 08:18 PM
Hawthorn now making a play (Cleary)

azabob
24-07-2024, 08:20 PM

Of course they are.

Happy Days
24-07-2024, 08:40 PM
Has there ever been a player that we’ve had interest at this stage of the year that we haven’t got sniped on?

Bullies
24-07-2024, 08:46 PM
I'd do it.

5 years? Sold. Agree. No one has an issue with Jones going on next year and Barass would be the same age when he finishes his contract.

lemmon
24-07-2024, 08:58 PM

Is that an admission that Smith is headed to Geelong?

chef
24-07-2024, 08:59 PM
Has there ever been a player that we’ve had interest at this stage of the year that we haven’t got sniped on?

Lobb?

Bumper Bulldogs
24-07-2024, 09:15 PM

The issue right now is. Weeks ago Lobb wanted out. (Apparently). We need to get home signed up and committed to us. Or chase Barrass all chips in.

Very simple really.

jazzadogs
24-07-2024, 09:20 PM
The issue right now is. Weeks ago Lobb wanted out. (Apparently). We need to get home signed up and committed to us. Or chase Barrass all chips in.

Very simple really.

Lobb is signed for another two years. The story was that he wanted to leave mid contract.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-07-2024, 09:28 PM
Lobb is signed for another two years. The story was that he wanted to leave mid contract.

Happy with that. Hopefully that talk has all been silenced and Bevo has got his arms around him whispering sweet nothing in his ear

mighty_west
24-07-2024, 09:33 PM
Happy with that. Hopefully that talk has all been silenced and Bevo has got his arms around him whispering sweet nothing in his ear

He just wanted to play AFL and not being stuck in the VFL which is fair enough, that position now in the backline is his for the taking and so far he is grabbing it with both hands.

hujsh
24-07-2024, 09:58 PM
Yes with Lobb it was always 'if he can't get into the AFL side he'll ask to leave'

I'd take Barass but if we don't get him just have to hope O'Donnell/Buss come good before Jones goes off

jeemak
25-07-2024, 01:09 AM

I'm sure Cleary is prepared to admit anything at this stage.

Grantysghost
25-07-2024, 09:05 AM
Might be something to do with the Josh Battle chase as well.

1eyedog
25-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Two games from Lobb and his confidence is high. The problem with Lobb is we've seen this before. At GWS and at Freo and he's done it here. His confidence fluctuates and he starts to struggle.

He's played two good games. Whether we go hard at Barrass is dependent on whether Lobb can finish off the season strongly and give us all a bit of confidence that he's fit for purpose.

I don't expect stellar games like the one he played last week but when he has a less impactful game he still needs to be solid defensively.

At the moment I'm still all in on Barrass.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2024, 10:05 AM
Key excerpts from Fox Footy:

Barrass:

The Bulldogs are seen as the front-runner for Barrass, with Morris reporting the Dogs were prepared to offer him “at least five years” to move.

English:

But 7News Perth and The West Australian reported on Wednesday that English had narrowed the call on his future to two possibilities: Remain at the Bulldogs or move to the Eagles, who’ve reportedly tabled a six-year offer for him.

There have been reports this year all signs are pointing to English re-signing with the Dogs on a big-money deal.

But Channel 7 reporter Ryan Daniels on Wednesday wrote on X that English had “warmed to the idea of joining the rebuilding Eagles”, adding the WA lifestyle had “strong appeal”.

Herald Sun reporter Glenn McFarlane said the fact English still remained out of contract beyond this season was “alarming signs” for the Dogs.

“When you get to this stage of a year and no one is even looking at the contract at this stage, that (he leaves) is what you start thinking,” McFarlane told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2024, 10:07 AM
If Tim wants their juicy offer, I’d think that puts us in a strong position to grab Barrass. Then go shopping for a ruckman.

Grantysghost
25-07-2024, 10:12 AM
Tim leaving would be pretty shit.

I don't think there's anyone who could replace what he does.

Bevo doesn't like your traditional ruckman so there's no way he's getting someone like Pittonet. He'd rather ruck Macrae.

Barrass at least 5 years wow. Ok - so what are they saying? 6?

For a guy with his injury history that would be negligent.

I want him though, if the deal looks right.

comrade
25-07-2024, 10:24 AM
I want to keep Timmy but we?d adapt. We need another genuine key defender and Barrass is the best of the possibles out there, so I?d do it. Wish he was 2-3 years younger but if he was, we wouldn?t be getting him.

Hotdog60
25-07-2024, 11:59 AM
The thing that shits me about ruckmen is they are always late bloomers so you spend all your time grooming them and when they finally hit there prime someone comes along and waves a juicy carrot in front of them and they piss off and became a stars elsewhere.
May be hybrid rucks are the way to go train your mids to play to a losing ruck and the hybrid either floats to defense or roams up forward.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 12:23 PM

Bevo doesn't like your traditional ruckman so there's no way he's getting someone like Pittonet. He'd rather ruck Macrae.

Cripps was rucking last week, so shows you how much they rate Pittonet.

Tim is a must keep, as Hotdog60 says, you put in that much time and effort to get the rucks to a certain level, they mature and then what.

I don't want a Pittonet or some other lumbering tall bloke who does nothing around the ground.

Barrass would be great, although 5 years is a concern, but if we snag a Premiership who cares about 5.

Mitch Cleary:

Hawthorn has the cap room for both Barrass + Josh Battle.There?s growing expectation Geelong is fav for Bailey Smith, leaving Hawks with a pick to use for Barrass.Dogs still frontrunners if Barrass leaves. He has links to 2018 flag assistants Sam Mitchell + Daniel Pratt (Dogs)

Sedat
25-07-2024, 12:25 PM
English potentially leaving changes the equation significantly in favour of getting Barrass. Lobb might have to change from being the next Glenn Jakovich to the next Dean Cox in 2025, which opens up a significant hole in our readymade key defensive stocks in 2025 (goes without saying Jones is 34yo next year).

We should be targeting another ruckman regardless but the Lobb flexibility piece is becoming ever more critical - he absolutely stays for the next 2 years.

Mantis
25-07-2024, 12:55 PM

Tim is a must keep, as Hotdog60 says, you put in that much time and effort to get the rucks to a certain level, they mature and then what.

I don't want a Pittonet or some other lumbering tall bloke who does nothing around the ground.

Barrass would be great, although 5 years is a concern, but if we snag a Premiership who cares about 5.

Mitch Cleary:

Whilst Pittonet isn't someone who gets heavily involved in broken play (maybe he's coached not to?), and hence doesn't take many uncontested marks (which Tim does) he does win his fair share of the ball and is averaging 15 disposals per game this year with Tim at almost 17.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2024, 01:17 PM
English potentially leaving changes the equation significantly in favour of getting Barrass. Lobb might have to change from being the next Glenn Jakovich to the next Dean Cox in 2025, which opens up a significant hole in our readymade key defensive stocks in 2025 (goes without saying Jones is 34yo next year).

We should be targeting another ruckman regardless but the Lobb flexibility piece is becoming ever more critical - he absolutely stays for the next 2 years.

Whilst not big on him, I think Ladhams could be cheap and could be packaged with small forward Konstanty. Fairly cheaply. Move VDM back to defence as a small defender. Addresses KPD, running small defender, small forward and cheap ruck. While holding say the compo pick and hopefully just trading the first for Baz and hopefully upgrading a F2 into F1.

Barrass makes us better and we can use Lobb as needed. We get back pretty much the first we gave GCS. We free up the cash and not holding the risk on Tim and concussions if they happen again.

I think we contend more strongly going ahead with Barrass more than English. If it was a one or the other. It’s shaping as a decisive list management period including whether we retain say Macrae or Daniel, or if they request a trade. It has the feel of trade period where we brought in Keath & Bruce and held a first for use on Weightman. Later Stef Martin as a cheap ruck. A period that led to 2021 and what could’ve been but for Bruce’ knee.

azabob
25-07-2024, 01:41 PM
Two games from Lobb and his confidence is high. The problem with Lobb is we've seen this before. At GWS and at Freo and he's done it here. His confidence fluctuates and he starts to struggle.

An argument could be made if you include VFL form this is one of Lobb's most consistent years in his career.

But yes, Lobb is still a watch and see.

GVGjr
25-07-2024, 01:42 PM

Mitch Cleary:

Does it really show that? TDK was injured during the game and the club has already announced that Pittonet is coming in this week.
They rolled the dice with no back-up ruckman.

azabob
25-07-2024, 01:45 PM

Barrass has three years left on his existing deal - we have tabled a five year contract.

Very early on it was reported that Eagles and Barrass had agreed to an extra couple of years - Now West Coast have a new list manager and CEO. The extra two years is no longer guaranteed.

Hence why everyone is now offering five + years.

jazzadogs
25-07-2024, 01:46 PM

I saw a stat last week that Cripps is one of the most effective rucks in the competition, in terms of winning the contest and taking possession. He is very good at outmuscling his opponent, grabbing the ball and throwing it on the boot to gain territory. I don't think it's a bad tactic tbh.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 02:16 PM
Does it really show that? TDK was injured during the game and the club has already announced that Pittonet is coming in this week.
They rolled the dice with no back-up ruckman.

It was a tongue in cheek when GG mentioned put Macrae in the ruck.

My point is I don't rate rucks like Pittonet. I prefer a Gawn, Grundy, TDK type, which I believe English is.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 02:16 PM
I saw a stat last week that Cripps is one of the most effective rucks in the competition, in terms of winning the contest and taking possession. He is very good at outmuscling his opponent, grabbing the ball and throwing it on the boot to gain territory. I don't think it's a bad tactic tbh.

We know Cripps is a Gun

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2024, 03:01 PM
I'd rather Pittonet + Barrass vs English.

Every day of the week.

Bullies
26-07-2024, 09:00 AM
An argument could be made if you include VFL form this is one of Lobb's most consistent years in his career.

But yes, Lobb is still a watch and see. What's to say with the way Lobb's confidence is at the moment that he can't do around the ground what Tim is doing at the moment. He has a big tank and very fit. Get Barass and it frees up Lobb to be the versatile ruckman.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2024, 09:25 AM
What's to say with the way Lobb's confidence is at the moment that he can't do around the ground what Tim is doing at the moment. He has a big tank and very fit. Get Barass and it frees up Lobb to be the versatile ruckman.

Saw a clip of an interview with Rory this week. Said he’d like to play wing too. It’s nice to have a big guy willing and excited to play any role for the team.

Bullies
26-07-2024, 10:51 AM
Saw a clip of an interview with Rory this week. Said he’d like to play wing too. It’s nice to have a big guy willing and excited to play any role for the team. I did say when we were looking for a spot for him he would make a wingman due to his tank. I still think JOD would make the perfect wingman with his size and pace.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2024, 11:01 AM
I did say when we were looking for a spot for him he would make a wingman due to his tank. I still think JOD would make the perfect wingman with his size and pace.

This is the beauty of Barrass.

1. He’s a gun
2. If he frees up Lobb, JOD to play other roles which might be a point of difference or allow us to try some different things or play swingmen too

bornadog
26-07-2024, 11:02 AM
My gut feeling is he doesn’t leave WC

jazzadogs
26-07-2024, 03:28 PM
Is Rory Lobb our Mark Blicavs?

MrMahatma
26-07-2024, 03:39 PM
I'm on the:

- See how Lobb finishes the season, and how Jones' body holds up the rest of the year.
- Ideally use trade/draft capital on the midfield, or even a Doc replacement down back.

I'm getting that pre-season "our list is awesome how do we fit them all in" vibe.

Angak
26-07-2024, 04:07 PM
Tom Barrass is a deep thinker. I could see him and Bevo having deep and meaningful conversation on thier philosophical views of enlightenment in the 1700s

jazzadogs
26-07-2024, 08:25 PM
Tom Barrass is a deep thinker. I could see him and Bevo having deep and meaningful conversation on thier philosophical views of enlightenment in the 1700s

I saw a clip of him on Dyl Buckley's podcast and he did not sound like a footballer.

azabob
26-07-2024, 08:53 PM
Daniel Pratt would know what value Barras can bring as well as inside word on his injury.

Grantysghost
26-07-2024, 09:13 PM
Daniel Pratt would know what value Barras can bring as well as inside word on his injury.
AB that's a bingo and I absolutely didn't make the link. Thanks now I feel more confident.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2024, 09:31 AM
Good outline of where and why this is from WWOS:

West Coast Eagles star Tom Barrass' future up in the air as Dogs, Hawks circle
Tom Morris

Tom Barrass' future at West Coast is delicately placed, with the defender strongly considering a trade request to the Western Bulldogs or Hawthorn.

This is despite his deal at West Coast stretching until the end of 2027.
The Dogs, who are still seen as the frontrunners, are offering four years and would increase the deal to five seasons if push came to shove.

The Hawks would love to bring in Josh Battle as a free agent and Barrass via a trade in the same way Melbourne set up its 2021 premiership years earlier thanks to the arrivals of Steve May and Jake Lever.

Hawthorn has money, but it's doubtful they would offer a deal as long as five years to a player who is 29 in October. The Dogs aren't as flush with cash, primarily because they need to have enough to satisfy out of contract trio Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards and Sam Darcy within 14 months.

But they do have a desire to fill a key defensive hole while in premiership contention and Barrass satisfies this need.
The Dogs and the Hawks are both offering significantly more money than his West Coast deal, which rivals believe is no more than $700,000 per season.

There are differing accounts as to who approached who at the end of 2022. Sydney list boss Kinnear Beatson said it came from Barrass' manager Nick Gieschen, while Barrass said it came from Sydney. Regardless, there were chats. There were also preliminary discussions at the end of 2021 between his management and Sydney.

By the end of 2022 Barrass was not only a premiership player, but also a newly minted best and fairest. He knew what the Swans were prepared to offer if he decided to defect.

With that number in mind, Barrass sat down with senior West Coast officials to talk about his contract, against advice from his agent.

He didn't ask for the Eagles to match Sydney's number, but believed the club should restructure his deal to reflect his true value to the team.

To his delight, West Coast officials agreed. There was a verbal understanding that in time, he would receive a pay bump. Any prospect of joining Sydney ended there and then.

This salary increase arrived only in the last few months. Disappointingly for Barrass, it was so minor that it left the 2018 premiership player believing he is being pushed out in favour of multiple high end draft picks.

"I am a West Coast Eagles player," Barrass said at a media conference on June 26.

"And unless the rug gets pulled out from under my feet, it will stay that way."

For Eagles fans who question the validity of a possible trade, know this: Sharks do not circle unless there is blood in the water.

For the Dogs to have tabled a deal to a player with three seasons remaining, and the Hawks to have registered interest, Barrass must be at the very least open to a move.

In truth, he's further down the line than that - albeit not the whole way - despite his public comments.
And the reason he's exploring a trade is because he feels West Coast hasn't come to the party since the handshake agreement.

Those close to him say Barrass' word means everything to him. It's a value he learned from his late father Tony, who was the first Australian journalist jailed for refusing to reveal a source in 1989.

He feels as if the Eagles haven't remained true to their word, even though the club now has a new list boss and CEO.
The Western Bulldogs do not have a first round selection in 2024, but would look to offer the pick they get for Bailey Smith to West Coast for Barrass, perhaps with some later toggling to satisfy both parties.

Hawthorn's pick No.8 looks particularly juicy, especially when it's likely clubs will be permitted to trade draft capital for 2025 and 2026 this October to break negotiation logjams.

The added year to trade draft picks will give clubs more levers to pull and mean players get to where they want to go with greater ease. It's a win-win.

No wonder North Melbourne and Richmond told the AFL earlier this season they were in favour of trading picks four years in advance, reflecting an NBA model previously seen as too radical on these shores.

On Sunday, Hawthorn assistant coach Adrian Hickmott was in Perth for a private matter and caught up with Barrass for fish and chips at Peter's By The Sea in Scarborough.

Hickmott was Barrass' defensive coach from 2015-17 and the two have remained close, as have Sam Mitchell and Barrass from their time at the Eagles together.

Then on Wednesday morning, Hawthon officials met with Gieschen, who is a high profile agent at Connors Sports Management. It was at this meeting that the Hawks reaffirmed their interest in Gieschen's star client.

The Dogs also have a link via Daniel Pratt, who was a West Coast premiership backline coach in 2018 and is now one of Luke Beveridge's senior offsiders.

Family is important to Barrass, especially since he lost his beloved father to throat cancer in 2021.
He and his wife - who is the late Heath Ledger's step sister - share two young boys. They live in an affluent suburb of Perth and are keen to set themselves up for the next period of their lives.

Rival clubs believe if it was purely up to Barrass, he'd come to Victoria. But there are family considerations and the decision will be a joint one for Tom and Nadia.

Helping the cause for the Dogs and Hawks is Barrass' sister's decision to move to Melbourne in the coming weeks, following her best friend from Sydney.

Ally Barrass is one year older than Tom, and the two are extremely close. It was her decision to move to Sydney a few years ago which first saw the Swans come into the frame.

This Saturday night Barrass will play his 150th game for West Coast, triggering automatic life membership. This is important to him. He loves the club and cherishes the 2018 premiership.

But he has a huge decision ahead. At 28, this will be his last crack at a lucrative, long-term deal. And he knows that.
And if the actions of the Eagles over the past 18 months are anything to go by, they will not stand in his way if compensation matches his value, meaning everything between now and October is just a dance.

jeemak
28-07-2024, 01:26 AM
The worst thing you can do to an employee is shake hands, tell them it's going to be OK, and then **** them. They'll mostly take an upfront and ongoing ****ing because expectations level out and end up consistently met.

But plant the seed of expectation, say that justice will be done, and that things will be better then you better deliver it. Because what you get if you don't is this (if it's true, which it's not, until it is).

If any of this is remotely true then it's between us and Hawthorn. WCE by design or otherwise, are out of the race.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 08:07 AM
The worst thing you can do to an employee is shake hands, tell them it's going to be OK, and then **** them. They'll mostly take an upfront and ongoing ****ing because expectations level out and end up consistently met.

But plant the seed of expectation, say that justice will be done, and that things will be better then you better deliver it. Because what you get if you don't is this (if it's true, which it's not, until it is).

If any of this is remotely true then it's between us and Hawthorn. WCE by design or otherwise, are out of the race.

Yep on all. If we can offer the extra year, same or more cash, and if any of our players want to WCE (media report two considering it). Hopefully that puts us/keeps us in pole position.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 06:45 PM
Jones, Lobb & Barrass would be the most formidable intercepting marking group in the comp next year.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2024, 09:13 AM
Jones, Lobb & Barrass would be the most formidable intercepting marking group in the comp next year.

3 headed monster up front, down back.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2024, 09:25 AM
3 headed monster up front, down back.

I’d go so far as to say one of if not the best forward line of talks and defensive talls in the comp. Lobb & Jones were outstanding. But replace Khamis or Coff yesterday with an elite interception marking gun, and that unit is outright elite. With support from Dale, Bramble & maybe Doc/VDM is looks great. I’d trade Smith today to get Barrass. With that fifth year, who cares. And as the olde guys retire in comes JOD, Buss & Croft with Barrass leading them.

I would not recall a time in my life time when the tall talent at both ends would be that elite. While the mids are just plodders like Bont, Adz, Ed, Libba, Sanders and co.

Mantis
29-07-2024, 10:14 AM
I’d go so far as to say one of if not the best forward line of talks and defensive talls in the comp. Lobb & Jones were outstanding. But replace Khamis or Coff yesterday with an elite interception marking gun, and that unit is outright elite. With support from Dale, Bramble & maybe Doc/VDM is looks great. I’d trade Smith today to get Barrass. With that fifth year, who cares. And as the olde guys retire in comes JOD, Buss & Croft with Barrass leading them.

I would not recall a time in my life time when the tall talent at both ends would be that elite. While the mids are just plodders like Bont, Adz, Ed, Libba, Sanders and co.

At what point does that become too top heavy?

Would prefer we continue to develop the likes of Buku, JOD and Buss in the 3rd role given Lobb looks a very good 2nd option behind the evergreen Jones.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2024, 10:22 AM
At what point does that become too top heavy?

Would prefer we continue to develop the likes of Buku, JOD and Buss in the 3rd role given Lobb looks a very good 2nd option behind the evergreen Jones.

I don’t think you’d want to go over that for next year. But with teams with 2-3 key forward or a resting ruck, I think it’s great coverage as particularly Jones & Barrass aren’t lumbering types. Barrass replaces Keath on the list which is a massive upgrade.

Barrass is also the transition for Jones retiring and Lobb perhaps only having two more seasons. Barrass can establish himself and we can bring in JOD, Buss & Croft (if he’s a defender) over time and to cover injuries. There’s also the option of deploying players in other roles or covering injuries too.

I like the move by the club to chase him.

Angak
30-07-2024, 10:42 PM
I'm not convinced we haven't pulled out of the race for Barrass given the Lobb developments in recent weeks. Looks like the Barrass to the Hawks talk has ramped up in the last week. I think this makes a lot of sense for us. Hopefully Lobb and Jones can hold down those key positions posts until Croft, Busslinger, JOD, and Buku can take the mantel.

Also, by all reports, this is a deep draft, giving up a mid-to-late first rounder is more costly than other years if the reports of the evenness of the draft are to be believed.

mjp
31-07-2024, 12:01 PM
Also, by all reports, this is a deep draft, giving up a mid-to-late first rounder is more costly than other years if the reports of the evenness of the draft are to be believed.

Remember...right now, we don't actually HAVE a first round pick to give up.

bulldogfan
31-07-2024, 12:02 PM
Mitch Cleary still said where the front runner if he leaves on the tradiespodcast

Grantysghost
31-07-2024, 12:02 PM
Barrass will go to the Hawks or stay at the Eagles I reckon.

Mitchell is already flying over there and sucking up. Not sure that's a good look when he's another teams player!

Love to snag him but really he's injured so often at 29 I can't see it being too fruitful at the likely cost.

Plus we already have a better defender in LOBBSTER TEARS!

bulldogtragic
31-07-2024, 12:09 PM
Barrass will go to the Hawks or stay at the Eagles I reckon.

Mitchell is already flying over there and sucking up. Not sure that's a good look when he's another teams player!

Let’s say Hawks miss finals on percentage. Let’s say we finish top 4 on percentage. Let’s say we offer a year longer than Hawks as reported and same/more salary.

He can choose a long, lucrative contract with a top 4 team. With apparently the best facilities in the comp. Rejoin his premiership line coach. Play with some gun players.

We are offering a potentially good deal and overall situation for him. While having players that WCE apparently want and have clearly led the charge early and Hawks are playing catch up. I can see why the journos are saying we are in front.

dukedog
31-07-2024, 01:38 PM
I reckon if we win 3 of the next 4 or or win at least 1 final and competitive in the 2nd final. Pull the trigger and offer 5 to get the deal done. if not. 4 is enough. He wont make the difference if we aren't there or there abouts.

comrade
31-07-2024, 03:47 PM
Remember...right now, we don't actually HAVE a first round pick to give up.

We've got Geelong's in our back pocket, just need the ink to dry.

bulldogtragic
31-07-2024, 09:38 PM
Shit got serious - fox footy:

“the Western Bulldogs are trying their best to stay in the race with The West reporting they’ve offered Barrass a five-year, $5 million deal.”

bulldogtragic
31-07-2024, 09:43 PM
Hun reporting after Mitchell meeting Hawks now in front of this race?!?!

Edit: but doesn’t mention our monster offer.

Mofra
31-07-2024, 09:45 PM

?the Western Bulldogs are trying their best to stay in the race with The West reporting they?ve offered Barrass a five-year, $5 million deal.?
Shaysus. If that's true we're set to be active and ruthless this year. CD & Macrae on the move?

bulldogtragic
31-07-2024, 09:47 PM
Shaysus. If that's true we're set to be active and ruthless this year. CD & Macrae on the move?

Yep, that took me by surprise. I think we might be very active, especially if we get the nod from Barrass.

bornadog
31-07-2024, 11:15 PM

?the Western Bulldogs are trying their best to stay in the race with The West reporting they?ve offered Barrass a five-year, $5 million deal.?

If you thought Tim wasn't worth that much then this is just ridiculous - over the top

bulldogtragic
01-08-2024, 06:29 AM
If you thought Tim wasn't worth that much then this is just ridiculous - over the top

I thought you just trusted Sam Power to take care of things?

bornadog
01-08-2024, 10:12 AM

I do, I was just having a bit of fun.;)

In all seriousness, he will be 29 at the start of next year, and 5 years takes him 34 years old on big money and with injury issues throughout his career. Guarantee me a premiership in that time, due to his help - then maybe I take it.

bulldogtragic
01-08-2024, 10:16 AM
I do, I was just having a bit of fun.;)

In all seriousness, he will be 29 at the start of next year, and 5 years takes him 34 years old on big money and with injury issues throughout his career. Guarantee me a premiership in that time, due to his help - then maybe I take it.

Maybe. I’ll pay Tom Boyd another million on top! :D

Happy Days
01-08-2024, 10:50 AM
That’s crazy money that I assume we do not currently have and I’m building a wall around my heart for what it implies.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-08-2024, 08:41 PM
It?s nice to have that sort of confidence but sure we are not a team that the footy world totally trusts week in week out. Throwing money around reminds me of a Carlton model and it has its flaws, personally I like to Geelong model that they do not overpay and attract big name players.

Maybe big dollars now pay off for the next 10 years as we transition to a Geelong model with the main selling points more around facilities, opportunities and success than individual money

bulldogtragic
01-08-2024, 08:52 PM
It?s nice to have that sort of confidence but sure we are not a team that the footy world totally trusts week in week out. Throwing money around reminds me of a Carlton model and it has its flaws, personally I like to Geelong model that they do not overpay and attract big name players.

Maybe big dollars now pay off for the next 10 years as we transition to a Geelong model with the main selling points more around facilities, opportunities and success than individual money

Geelong offer huge money. Just half is in brown paper bags.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-08-2024, 09:03 PM
Geelong offer huge money. Just half is in brown paper bags.

Isn?t that called ?Marketing money?. Imagine if they had a guy that had a huge following on social media, what could they throw at him?

bulldogtragic
01-08-2024, 09:08 PM
Isn?t that called ?Marketing money?. Imagine if they had a guy that had a huge following on social media, what could they throw at him?

No it’s called coa$tal life$tyle.

Each club has a marketing budget for players outside the cap. Baz will probably get money funneled through a sponsor in common I’d guess.

Barrass is a gun and I’d have him in a heart beat.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-08-2024, 09:18 PM
Barrass is a gun and I’d have him in a heart beat.

I?m warming up very much to Barrass myself now. Even more, after Mitchell flew over to fly the Hawks flag.

It reminds me of the Keith trade a few years ago. Suits our needs and allows time for others to develop and not be under pressure. Lobb standing up has really helped and basically allows one key defender to opted out each year for 3 to 4 years and we won?t miss a beat.

3 to 4 years down the track we won?t have Jones, Doc, Lobb, Keith, Bramble, Daniel, Gardener and JJ. Huge turn over and he could actually be the transitional glue we need

Hotdog60
07-08-2024, 02:30 PM
Twomey reporting if Barrass goes anywhere it will be the Hawks.

mighty_west
07-08-2024, 02:41 PM
Twomey reporting if Barrass goes anywhere it will be the Hawks.

I was all in to try and get Barrass UNTIL Lobb turned into Steve Silvagni, he still would be a great get and really bolster up our back half but given the price tag we could spend more wisely on more of a need, that Port fella Miles Bergman wants back to Melbourne apparently................

hujsh
07-08-2024, 02:50 PM
TBH if I were the Hawks I'd be prepared to pay more for Barass than the Dogs and keener to offer the full 5 years he wants.

It's a bit more awkward for us next year with Jones still at the club.

Anyway I'm off to cope more about how any of like 6 clubs can immediately get any player we target with like 5 days worth of prep.

Cyberdoggie
07-08-2024, 04:46 PM
Do we still have a need for him? Or is Rory Lobb our saviour?

bornadog
07-08-2024, 04:57 PM
Do we still have a need for him? Or is Rory Lobb our saviour?

I am happy with Rory

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 07:49 AM
Lots of outlets reporting the Hawks move is happening and that they'll get Battle as well.

God I couldn't stand another Hawks dynasty, however at 29 with many injury issues 5 years is too much of a commitment for mine.

jazzadogs
13-08-2024, 08:33 AM
Lots of outlets reporting the Hawks move is happening and that they'll get Battle as well.

God I couldn't stand another Hawks dynasty, however at 29 with many injury issues 5 years is too much of a commitment for mine.

Feels like Gibson and Lake all over again.

azabob
13-08-2024, 08:37 AM

Yep. They have been into Battle for a long time.

Interest in Barrass came late after we began peeling the onion.

Happy Days
13-08-2024, 08:41 AM

As is tradition.

GVGjr
13-08-2024, 08:50 AM

Battle is a solid player and has been consistent especially over the last 3 years so he would be a good addition given the Saints would be compensated but not by us if we were interested. I'm not fussed if we were to make a play for him or not.

Grantysghost
13-08-2024, 08:51 AM

I guess Mitchell being at the Eagles for a bit helped.
I can just see that little smart arse running the dogs down and talking him out of it.

"What can they offer post career? Working at the moccasin factory?!"

Hotdog60
13-08-2024, 07:36 PM
I guess Mitchell being at the Eagles for a bit helped.
I can just see that little smart arse running the dogs down and talking him out of it.

"What can they offer post career? Working at the moccasin factory?!"

Not that's there's anything wrong working in a moccasin factory. :)

jeemak
14-08-2024, 12:39 AM
I'm happy to let him slide. While I was OK with throwing heaps at him to get him across to give us the best bookends I've ever seen at our club, it's not without a huge risk profile. Lobb can do what he does and I'd also be happy enough to go to a Lobb and Gardner combo with JOD/ Khamis/ Buss in the mix after a preseason with all of those guys working together if things fall over with Jones.

Where I really want to throw money around is at the forward flanks and wings, or at some speed in the midfield with quality focused on at the expense of meaningless touches. Neil Bullen has been on my radar as the type I want in the side for a long time, maybe we can get him across if we really tried.

Happy to be advised of anyone else who fits that bill, because to me that's where we're lacking.

Bullies
14-08-2024, 08:40 AM
I'm happy to let him slide. While I was OK with throwing heaps at him to get him across to give us the best bookends I've ever seen at our club, it's not without a huge risk profile. Lobb can do what he does and I'd also be happy enough to go to a Lobb and Gardner combo with JOD/ Khamis/ Buss in the mix after a preseason with all of those guys working together if things fall over with Jones.

Where I really want to throw money around is at the forward flanks and wings, or at some speed in the midfield with quality focused on at the expense of meaningless touches. Neil Bullen has been on my radar as the type I want in the side for a long time, maybe we can get him across if we really tried.

Happy to be advised of anyone else who fits that bill, because to me that's where we're lacking. I'm leaning towards this as well as we desperately need wingers/flankers.

Hawks have to pay overs for both Battle and Barrass with long term deals. A few of their supporters are concerned that with such a young list there will be no coin left to retain the young ones coming out of contract in the next 2 years.

We also need to be start being aggressive in the trades and hit up clubs for their out of contractplayers like they do to us.

Grantysghost
14-08-2024, 09:33 AM

Happy to be advised of anyone else who fits that bill, because to me that's where we're lacking.

I'm wanting to splash on the midfield although apart from Treloar I don't think we've ever landed anyone of note and have always been draft and develop in this area.

Someone like Finn Callahan or Hayden Young. Guess you can dream! GWS have lost a few in the past from their stocked midfield ranks and you'd wonder how they pay all that talent.

Agree re a proper winger. Kako probably would've been available at our pick as a small forward, but now the NGA rules have changed again for no apparent reason (read the dogs aren't getting a leg up) then the Dons are going to snag him.

Mofra
14-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Media leak (read: WCE leak) suggesting the price for Barrass is 2 first round picks.

bornadog
14-08-2024, 10:13 AM
Media leak (read: WCE leak) suggesting the price for Barrass is 2 first round picks.

Not worth it

bulldogtragic
14-08-2024, 10:15 AM

Ambit claim. But a fair starting point. Probably a first and something else, but not a first.

Happy Days
14-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Feel like we can park this. We’ll spend that Hurley money one day.

GVGjr
15-08-2024, 12:10 AM

More concerning is if Bailey Smith has his heart set on going there. If the Hawks offered their first round picks (this year and next) to West Coast for Barrass they're going to have to get very creative to also land Smith.

By the way, I did read that Ryan Daniels is saying the Hawks offer to Barrass is a 4 year deal not 5.

jeemak
15-08-2024, 02:07 AM
Feel like we can park this. We’ll spend that Hurley money one day.

I love that some astute posters are still not fretting about salary cap given we've been keeping Hurley money aside all this time.

Happy Days
15-08-2024, 09:56 AM
I love that some astute posters are still not fretting about salary cap given we've been keeping Hurley money aside all this time.

And that’s to say nothing of the Crameri equity.

Axe Man
15-08-2024, 10:11 AM
And that’s to say nothing of the Crameri equity.

Is there still a Wingard windfall?

1eyedog
15-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Is there still a Wingard windfall?

No that rolled into and was sucked up by the Butters bonus.

SonofScray
27-08-2024, 07:19 PM
Requested a trade to Hawthorn.

Might be a bit of fuel if we were serious about him. A bit like when we chased that Essendon bloke who belted the taxi driver but decided not to come.

Grantysghost
27-08-2024, 07:22 PM

Might be a bit of fuel if we were serious about him. A bit like when we chased that Essendon bloke who belted the taxi driver but decided not to come.
As soon as they entered the chat you knew what choice he'd make.

I forgot how much I hate Hok tuah thorn.

Although : poor man's Lobb. Be interesting to see if his body holds up.

jeemak
27-08-2024, 07:35 PM

We've been earning exceptional interest on the Hurley money these past few seasons. Looking back just keeping it in the bank was the better investment.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2024, 08:03 PM
A bit like Wingard and Impey. Choosing hawks over us. Let's make him regret it.

jeemak
27-08-2024, 08:14 PM
I feel like the Hawks would have had more money to offer than we did.

soupman
27-08-2024, 10:25 PM
I feel like the Hawks would have had more money to offer than we did.

Their vibes are great atm too, surely every player eying off a move would choose Hawthorn over virtually anyone else at if the money was the same, especially if it's better.

jeemak
28-08-2024, 12:32 AM
Their vibes are great atm too, surely every player eying off a move would choose Hawthorn over virtually anyone else at if the money was the same, especially if it's better.

To me it's a genuine false dawn with the Hawks but nobody in the media will talk about it.

Their last ten games versus ours have been soft in terms of who they've played. They've lost to all of the hard teams, and while we've done the same in Adelaide it couldn't be more divided between the two outside of that.

We'll do them by fifty points.

Bullies
28-08-2024, 08:20 AM
Their vibes are great atm too, surely every player eying off a move would choose Hawthorn over virtually anyone else at if the money was the same, especially if it's better. Problem for Hawks will be when they have to pay up for the younger guys who come out of contract and the money is invested in Barrass/Battle.

soupman
28-08-2024, 11:39 AM
Problem for Hawks will be when they have to pay up for the younger guys who come out of contract and the money is invested in Barrass/Battle.

I expect they are very front loaded. They can't have too many big contracts they are paying atm.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2024, 11:43 AM
I expect they are very front loaded. They can't have too many big contracts they are paying atm.

Yep. Only last year Mitchell was pushing hard to sell their salary cap space for draft picks. Barrass & Battle will be good gets for them, unfortunately.

comrade
28-08-2024, 12:19 PM
To me it's a genuine false dawn with the Hawks but nobody in the media will talk about it.

Their last ten games versus ours have been soft in terms of who they've played. They've lost to all of the hard teams, and while we've done the same in Adelaide it couldn't be more divided between the two outside of that.

Yeah, we've been the cool young team before and the good vibes have a shelf life.

jeemak
28-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Yeah, we've been the cool young team before and the good vibes have a shelf life.

Watch them smash us by 70 points on the way to a flag!

Bigdog
28-08-2024, 04:26 PM
Yep. Only last year Mitchell was pushing hard to sell their salary cap space for draft picks. Barrass & Battle will be good gets for them, unfortunately.

I think both Barass and Battle are good player, but I think hawthorn have been able to play out of their skin this year as they are fast and unconventional. Going to more a traditional set up next season may not net them wins if they become more predictable.

josie
28-08-2024, 04:51 PM

Nets.

Mofra
28-08-2024, 05:52 PM
The only 'good' team they've pushed in the past 10 weeks is GWS.
We should be confident

comrade
28-08-2024, 05:56 PM
We should be confident

They did beat Freo when they were in the top 4. And Collingwood who were 6th. But they?ve also had some very easy kills over the last 3 weeks, including Carlton who were completely cooked by injury.

jeemak
28-08-2024, 06:31 PM

We should be confident

That was my initial feeling, and remains so. Was just mucking around.

jeemak
28-08-2024, 06:32 PM
Nets.

I'd be too much of an easy kill, josie.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2024, 10:16 PM
WCE:

Two first rounders or no trade.

G-Mo77
11-09-2024, 10:22 PM
WCE:

Fair.enough. They don't have to trade him.

hujsh
11-09-2024, 11:24 PM
WCE:

Considering right now we have 1 future first I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of why he chose the Hawks. Aside from all the other reasons he might have.

bornadog
11-09-2024, 11:29 PM
Fair.enough. They don't have to trade him.

They should stick to their guns