PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Kennel: Dogs unveil $78m upgrade to Whitten Oval

Axe Man
24-07-2024, 01:57 PM
Brand new Kennel: Dogs unveil $78m upgrade to Whitten Oval (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1179303/brand-new-kennel-western-bulldogs-unveil-78m-upgrade-to-whitten-oval)

https://i.postimg.cc/6pbfnBsr/2407-dogs-redevelopment.avif (https://postimages.org/)

Take a look inside the Western Bulldogs' new facilities that club powerbrokers believe will help attract and retain players and staff

NEARLY 35 years after a tin-rattling campaign in the streets of Footscray ended a proposed merger with Fitzroy, the Western Bulldogs have officially reopened the Mission Whitten Oval following the completion of a state-of-the-art $78 million redevelopment.

After commencing construction in March 2022, following years of negotiations behind the scenes, the training and administration base has now been handed over in a landmark moment for a club that was once debt-riddled and set to become the Fitzroy Bulldogs in 1989.

The iconic E.J. Whitten Stand has been transformed across the past two years and now houses the administration staff, club museum, an 82-seat theatrette with a 10 square-metre video board, matchday pavilion with 920 undercover seats painted red, white and blue and a new merchandise shop.

The football department has been settled in the Barkly Street end of the of the new facility for most of the season, where an 1800 square-metre indoor training field has been built next to what is believed to be the largest gym in the AFL, as well as a heat chamber, 15-person sauna, and cold and hot pools.

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains said the project started not long after the club ended its 62-year premiership drought in 2016, and is the culmination of significant contributions from many, most notably former president Peter Gordon, who helped save the club from the merger in the late 1980s and then returned in 2012 to help protect its long-term health, securing $36 million in funding from the Victorian Government for the redevelopment.

"A project of this nature doesn't materialise easily. There is a lot of groundwork that needs to be undertaken, ranging from sourcing the funding to the ideas and the design. It has been a project that has been eight years in the making. The club owes a great deal of gratitude to former president Peter Gordon, who was instrumental in pushing for government support many years ago," Bains told AFL.com.au.

Bains said the transformation of Whitten Oval will stun former players and staff members who return for the first time to discover a facility that is as well-equipped as any across the AFL and fill them with pride, which is what occurred last week during a day for father-son prospects at the club during the school holidays.

"I think for everyone that has been closely connected with the club over time there is that element of equal parts pride and equal parts disbelief," Bains said.

"Our president, Kylie Watson-Wheeler, used to come to Whitten Oval as a girl when it didn't look like it does now. Her involvement in the project in the last few years has been integral.

"We have a lot of past players into the club and it came as a bit of shock to them last week when a number of them came for a father-son day."

Across Luke Beveridge's 10 years at the Kennel, the Bulldogs have almost annually targeted the trade and free agency periods to improve the list, signing Adam Treloar, Liam Jones, Josh Bruce, Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath and Rory Lobb in that time, as well as James Harmes and Nick Coffield last October.

The new Mission Whitten Oval will challenge Sydney, Carlton, West Coast, Essendon and Collingwood for the best facilities in the competition, making the Dogs an attractive proposition for those looking for a new club.

While the environment and the calibre of people inside the building contribute to becoming a 'destination club', Beveridge believes the new facility will help attract and retain talent in future, with the premiership coach cheekily admitting it will help woo those who come for covert tours after dark.

"I've been extremely proud of how far the club's come, been really grateful for the men and women who have sat on boards, been philanthropists, rattled cans or formally been employed or contracted with our football club to get our club to this unbelievable position. It is just an incredible place to come every day," Beveridge said.

"At this time of year, if you're thinking about acquisition options as far as your list management goes, it is the time where clubs are talking to players, and if you're ever going to have a sneaky visit from an opposition player, it is now a place where it is one of the priorities to say come and have a look at where you might be doing your weights or swimming in the pool and feeling the vibe, getting a free coffee. We haven't been in that position before but now we are. It is a good place to be."

The free coffee Beveridge is referring to comes via the custom-made La Marzocco machine on level one, which has instantly become a central meeting place for every member of the organisation, connecting the administration with the football department for the first time in a long time.

The Western Bulldogs' AFLW team will host four home games at Mission Whitten Oval later this year, plus two other night fixtures between North Melbourne and Port Adelaide, and Essendon and Sydney in September and October. Pre-season AFL games will also be held at the new facility in future.

After years of construction and even longer of planning, the Western Bulldogs now have a home that is the envy of the competition.

GVGjr
24-07-2024, 02:16 PM
This article coincides with a lot of groups and the media touring the facility today. I believe a group from Mission Foods were also there today.
It's a impressive facility for the players, coaches and admin team to come to each day.

Mofra
24-07-2024, 02:31 PM
Insane to think of where we've come to. I went to WO a lot in the 80s and there's no way I could imagine such a huge redevelopment of the place

Eastdog
24-07-2024, 02:35 PM
Looks great!

We have come a long way.

bornadog
24-07-2024, 02:35 PM
What I like about the redevelopment, the whole ground has had a make over. Around the fencing from the outer wings around to the members side, the ground has been landscaped and paved.

the article doesn't mention, we also spent $30 million in the early 2000s, it jumps from tin rattling to now.

bornadog
24-07-2024, 02:38 PM
Dear xxxx,

We write to you on a momentous day for our Club, as we officially reopen Mission Whitten Oval after its recent redevelopment.

To retain and enhance our spiritual home in its original location is a remarkable achievement. After more than two years of construction, 14,000 square metres have been enhanced with brand new infrastructure.

All of our players have access to the largest gym and changerooms in the AFL, as well as aquatic amenities, a 50m x 35m indoor training field and a dedicated heat chamber, facilities that are second to none in this sport.

Our beloved oval now has a capacity of more than 10,000 and will proudly host W home games in coming weeks on what are sure to be spectacular occasions under lights.

Alfa Bakehouse is already serving a distinctly Footscray flavour in our lobby, while our Bulldogs Shop and Museum will also be open for business within days.

The first major event in our new function space will be ?Legacy Through Legends? on Wed 31 July, celebrating our champions with a selection of past and present AFL and AFLW players in attendance. Tickets are available now.

We are laying the foundations for this Club to realise its potential for generations to come. We?re not finished yet, and we will be calling on our members and fans to help us close the funding gap during a dedicated Giving Day in two weeks? time.

Your support and belief in this Club is always appreciated. We have come so far, powered by the passion and perseverance of the best fanbase in footy. And we want to keep going, to fight on and ensure the best chance of future success.

Thank you for your ongoing investment in our Club, which is never taken for granted. It means the world to us and makes all of this possible.

We look forward to seeing you at the new Mission Whitten Oval in the near future and for many years to come.

Go Dogs!

Kylie Watson-Wheeler
Western Bulldogs President

Ameet Bains
Western Bulldogs CEO

Grantysghost
24-07-2024, 02:49 PM
Giving day?

hujsh
24-07-2024, 03:10 PM
FARK how good would it be to pack WO with 10,000+ for an AFL match?

bornadog
24-07-2024, 03:11 PM
Giving day?

Get your wallet ready GG :D

I wonder what the funding shortfall is?

Eastdog
24-07-2024, 03:27 PM
FARK how good would it be to pack WO with 10,000+ for an AFL match?

Personally would love to play a home AFL game back there.

Grantysghost
24-07-2024, 03:31 PM
Get your wallet ready GG :D

I wonder what the funding shortfall is?
Ha i dont want to disturb the moths.

Yes that is interesting.

bornadog
24-07-2024, 03:49 PM
For those who haven't seen the whole ground:
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/07/24/1f2321ba-db00-470b-bd63-d6a4a60a2b76/mission-re-open_1.jpg?width=1064&height=600

whythelongface
24-07-2024, 05:27 PM
Pretty amazing facility.
Surely would have to be a selling point for any potential suitors such as Butters

bornadog
24-07-2024, 05:38 PM
Pretty amazing facility.
Surely would have to be a selling point for any potential suitors such as Butters
and Barrass

ledge
24-07-2024, 06:10 PM
Should offer member tours $20 each with groups of maybe 20. Non members $30 .
Raises money , just a thought.

bornadog
24-07-2024, 06:34 PM
Should offer member tours $20 each with groups of maybe 20. Non members $30 .
Raises money , just a thought.

Well if you go to the function next Wednesday, they have optional tours for $20

See events thread, post #681 - here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?16527-Events-Thread/page46&highlight=events)

jazzadogs
25-07-2024, 11:29 AM

See events thread, post #681 - here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?16527-Events-Thread/page46&highlight=events)

Optional tours for $20 on top of a $160 ticket. Tell em they're dreaming.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 11:48 AM
Optional tours for $20 on top of a $160 ticket. Tell em they're dreaming.

Got to pay for the upgrade :D

jazzadogs
25-07-2024, 11:59 AM
Got to pay for the upgrade :D

I think every day might be Giving Day for the next few years...

Axe Man
25-07-2024, 12:02 PM
I think every day might be Giving Day for the next few years...

Ground upgrades, lawsuits, Gvg's new luxury tent, the bills keep rolling in.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 12:14 PM
Ground upgrades, lawsuits, Gvg's new luxury tent, the bills keep rolling in.

Has he got a drone yet?

Axe Man
25-07-2024, 12:42 PM
Has he got a drone yet?

Well we can't have him climbing up on the roof, people are a bit edgy about that sort of thing at the moment.

ledge
26-07-2024, 12:23 PM

Sadly I’m a shift worker and will be working.

GVGjr
26-07-2024, 03:12 PM
Is anyone getting a 'Bulldoze the Debt (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/105074/-1-125-million-bulldozed-from-historical-debt)' type vibe about the club at the moment?

I'm happy enough to contribute but would like to get a better indication of the challenges the club has in front of it.

Grantysghost
26-07-2024, 03:29 PM
Is anyone getting a 'Bulldoze the Debt (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/105074/-1-125-million-bulldozed-from-historical-debt)' type vibe about the club at the moment?

I'm happy enough to contribute but would like to get a better indication of the challenges the club has in front of it.
Something stinks.

It's like whacking day.

GVGjr
26-07-2024, 03:45 PM
Something stinks.

It's like whacking day.

I just wonder if the legal payouts that we will have to deal with somewhere down the track are causing us some angst

azabob
26-07-2024, 07:56 PM

Other than the $20 upgrade on the legends night what makes you think that?

GVGjr
26-07-2024, 08:31 PM
Other than the $20 upgrade on the legends night what makes you think that?

I've got no problems with the $20 upgrade option for the Legends night as I can't see anyone thinking they've been ripped off by it.
I'd have gladly coughed up $20 for the tour I did.

My thoughts are around that we've gone over the budget for the upgrade and the club is looking to the members and sponsors to see what they might be able to chip in.

Kylies comments below probably sowed the seed.

We are laying the foundations for this Club to realise its potential for generations to come. We’re not finished yet, and we will be calling on our members and fans to help us close the funding gap during a dedicated Giving Day in two weeks’ time.

I'm okay with making a contribution if needed. The devil is in the detail.

azabob
26-07-2024, 08:50 PM
I've got no problems with the $20 upgrade option for the Legends night as I can't see anyone thinking they've been ripped off by it.
I'd have gladly coughed up $20 for the tour I did.

My thoughts are around that we've gone over the budget for the upgrade and the club is looking to the members and sponsors to see what they might be able to chip in.

Kylies comments below probably sowed the seed.

We are laying the foundations for this Club to realise its potential for generations to come. We?re not finished yet, and we will be calling on our members and fans to help us close the funding gap during a dedicated Giving Day in two weeks? time.

I'm okay with making a contribution if needed. The devil is in the detail.

Thanks, I had not read her comments. Fairly clear they will be asking for donations.

Giving Day sounds like Human Fund from Seinfeld.

azabob
26-07-2024, 08:56 PM

Hopefully we win the next two game’s otherwise giving day May not be so successful

Grantysghost
26-07-2024, 09:12 PM
Hopefully we win the next two game’s otherwise giving day May not be so successful
The noun giving day.... I can't quite grasp it.
Hopefully we didn't pay 100 k on consultants to come up with that name

azabob
26-07-2024, 09:30 PM
The noun giving day.... I can't quite grasp it.
Hopefully we didn't pay 100 k on consultants to come up with that name

doggie, doggie, doggie
woof, woof, woof,
DOGGIE, WOOF,
DOGGIE, WOOF
doggie,doggie, doggie,
woof, woof, woof

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-07-2024, 11:29 PM

Yep, and Yep.

We obviously know there have been legal and continue to be legal challenges that present a threat to the long term plans of the club.
I wonder if in some regards we're cognisant things might not pan out in our favour and we're building a war chest to try and offset the worst potential outcomes.

I could be obviously way off base; I hope I am.

If the club needs to have a grown up conversation with its members about potential existential financial threats looming on the horizon, then let's have the chat and do it right.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-07-2024, 11:30 PM
Something stinks.

It's like whacking day.

Whacking day immediately sprang to mind.

Or the temporary refund adjustment President Lisa Simpson tried to sell.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-07-2024, 11:31 PM
I just wonder if the legal payouts that we will have to deal with somewhere down the track are causing us some angst

I should've simply read ahead before posting :)

Stevo
01-08-2024, 05:03 PM

Did everyone get the email from the club about August 7th being the clubs "Fight on Forever in Footscray day"
From what I can tell every dollar in donations will be matched ie a $100 donation is effectively $200.

I'd like to know how did this funding gap happen as it's not evident yet? Do we just wait until the 7th to find out?
Is it a cost blow out with the construction or something else? I gather it took many months longer to complete and I'm wondering if we are being asked to help pay for the windfall the construction workers and companies received?

bornadog
01-08-2024, 05:10 PM
Did everyone get the email from the club about August 7th being the clubs "Fight on Forever in Footscray day"
From what I can tell every dollar in donations will be matched ie a $100 donation is effectively $200.

I'd like to know how did this funding gap happen as it's not evident yet? Do we just wait until the 7th to find out?
Is it a cost blow out with the construction or something else? I gather it took many months longer to complete and I'm wondering if we are being asked to help pay for the windfall the construction workers and companies received?

The construction took longer due to asbestos found in existing buildings. The funding shortfall was mentioned, I think in the financial reports last year.

comrade
01-08-2024, 05:21 PM
The construction took longer due to asbestos found in existing buildings. The funding shortfall was mentioned, I think in the financial reports last year.

We also have some pretty massive legal costs accrued.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 05:28 PM

Yes that also didn't help

Axe Man
01-08-2024, 06:15 PM

It is definitely short on detail. I would also like to know who is matching the donations? Are they tax deductible? Is this all EW's mate Setka's fault?

BTW where is EW? Is he Setka? The timing of his radio silence is suspicious....

GVGjr
01-08-2024, 06:27 PM

I wonder how much the club is hoping they raise? Perhaps the dollar amount the club is looking to the members to help cover will be revealed in due course but to me it's just a bit deceptive to ask the members to start to contribute now without giving them the actual extent of the funding gap? As normal in these statements the devil is in the detail.
Is it a Bulldoze the Dept substantial type gap or something a bit higher or lower?

bornadog
01-08-2024, 06:28 PM
I wonder how much the club is hoping they raise? Perhaps the dollar amount the club is looking to the members to help cover will be revealed in due course but to me it's just a bit deceptive to ask the members to start to contribute now without giving them the actual extent of the funding gap? As normal in these statements the devil is in the detail.
Is it a Bulldoze the Dept substantial type gap or something a bit higher or lower?

The email says it starts on August 7 - hope they give us more detail

GVGjr
01-08-2024, 06:37 PM
The email says it starts on August 7 - hope they give us more detail

But they are open to taking money now if you follow the link in the email as it says 'Donate now'.
If they said we have a gap of 1.5M now it could shape how much I'm prepared to contribute. As it stands, I'll wait until the 7th
I know some of the people who contributed to the Bulldoze the debt (2012?) and one of them contributed something like 10K.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 07:37 PM
But they are open to taking money now if you follow the link in the email as it says 'Donate now'.
If they said we have a gap of 1.5M now it could shape how much I'm prepared to contribute. As it stands, I'll wait until the 7th
I know some of the people who contributed to the Bulldoze the debt (2012?) and one of them contributed something like 10K.
I seem to recall it was more like $10 million but don’t quote me on that

Prince Imperial
01-08-2024, 07:39 PM
Are they tax deductible?

When you follow the links in the email by pressing "Donate Now" twice , it indicates that donations are tax deductible.

Stevo
01-08-2024, 08:12 PM
When you follow the links in the email by pressing "Donate Now" twice , it indicates that donations are tax deductible.

Thanks PI. I'd still prefer to know what we are up against debt wise.

Stevo
01-08-2024, 08:16 PM
I seem to recall it was more like $10 million but don’t quote me on that

Jeez if true that's a substantial blow out. I'm staggered it could be to that extent and it proves you can't trust construction project work to get anywhere near close to what they quote. We will be paying for that for years to come.

jeemak
01-08-2024, 08:23 PM
Couldn't the rises in interest rates be partly responsible?

GVGjr
01-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Couldn't the rises in interest rates be partly responsible?

It could but the devil is in the detail which hasn't been shared yet.
I know in January the projection/hope was to have the work completed by the end of March, then the end of April and then pushed back until the work was completed in early July. That delay has nothing to do with the additional work when asbestos was located.
All that was factored in the previous year and earlier than that.

Interest rates might play a big part in how long it takes to service any debt.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Jeez if true that's a substantial blow out. I'm staggered it could be to that extent and it proves you can't trust construction project work to get anywhere near close to what they quote. We will be paying for that for years to come.

Of course there would be some blow out, but I thought I read that the club knew of the shortfall.

jeemak
01-08-2024, 08:42 PM
It could but the devil is in the detail which hasn't been shared yet.
I know in January the projection/hope was to have the work completed by the end of March, then the end of April and then pushed back until the work was completed in early July. That delay has nothing to do with the additional work when asbestos was located.
All that was factored in the previous year and earlier than that.

Interest rates might play a big part in how long it takes to service any debt.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear but to me that's probably a major reason why more funds need to be raised. The club can only be burdened by debt for so long, so a big hit to the principle of the loan upfront reduces the impost.

There'll always be construction blow outs of varying severity. Labour is still difficult to source, supply chain costs are still unusually high. Interest rates were supposed to have softened by now but it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon.

Prince Imperial
01-08-2024, 08:43 PM
Thanks PI. I'd still prefer to know what we are up against debt wise.

Last year's financial statement indicated that the club still had $6.4m of remaining budget project costs to pay for but that it had $3.5m of pledges to the Forever Foundation for the project (presumably from our high end supporters). What's happened since then, I have no knowledge.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 08:43 PM
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear but to me that's probably a major reason why more funds need to be raised. The club can only be burdened by debt for so long, so a big hit to the principle of the loan upfront reduces the impost.

There'll always be construction blow outs of varying severity. Labour is still difficult to source, supply chain costs are still unusually high. Interest rates were supposed to have softened by now but it doesn't look like that's happening any time soon.

Interest rates will only apply on the shortfall. The rest was funded.

jeemak
01-08-2024, 08:46 PM
Interest rates will only apply on the shortfall. The rest was funded.

I understand that and PI has helped answer what the shortfall was above, so not sure on the cost of debt on the $6.5M was, less whatever's pledged. Perhaps we're just wanting to clear whatever's left and focus on whatever future costs we've got coming our way.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 08:50 PM
I understand that and PI has helped answer what the shortfall was above, so not sure on the cost of debt on the $6.5M was, less whatever's pledged. Perhaps we're just wanting to clear whatever's left and focus on whatever future costs we've got coming our way.

I think you are correct

Pleather Sole
01-08-2024, 08:52 PM
I got that email. Wargamed it in my mind.

Best way to clear the debt is to finish 4th and win the Premiership.

ledge
01-08-2024, 10:59 PM
I was talking to someone at the club early in the year and they were worried about not having the money to finish it.
The reason being the court case loss.
Obviously they finished it and now it’s about paying this case off I would say .
How the club spins it I don’t know.

Pleather Sole
01-08-2024, 11:15 PM

Court case was 5 or 6 mill. Bizarre we didn't indemnify ourselves retrospectively, especially for a club with injury and class-action lawyers at the helm. The victim deserves every penny, ruined his life. Now we need to be smart about recouping the loss, learning the lesson.

bornadog
01-08-2024, 11:25 PM
Court case was 5 or 6 mill. Bizarre we didn't indemnify ourselves retrospectively, especially for a club with injury and class-action lawyers at the helm. The victim deserves every penny, ruined his life. Now we need to be smart about recouping the loss, learning the lesson.

I agree the victim deserves compensation, but the amount is way above anything ever awarded previously. The club is appealing to lower the amount, not to dispute the right to compensation.

GVGjr
02-08-2024, 06:51 PM
Apparently the debt is 12m

GVGjr
02-08-2024, 07:56 PM
One high profile member might have contributed 500k the other day.

Grantysghost
02-08-2024, 07:59 PM

Thor?

GVGjr
02-08-2024, 08:03 PM
Thor?
I was told it was David Smorgon

Grantysghost
02-08-2024, 08:08 PM
I was told it was David Smorgon
Wow. That's crazy. What a star.

Sons of the scray would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Libba has black boots.

bornadog
02-08-2024, 08:12 PM
Apparently the debt is 12m
I though it was around that- I said $10

jazzadogs
02-08-2024, 09:37 PM

Is this what they'll use to 'match' other donations?

GVGjr
02-08-2024, 10:19 PM
Is this what they'll use to 'match' other donations?

We really don't know until we get more information

azabob
04-08-2024, 12:33 PM
We really don't know until we get more information

It does not appear much more information is forthcoming.

Personally without any further details I will not be donating and I am sure many other supporters feel the same way.

It certainly is an odd campaign and feels like it is all very last minute.

GVGjr
04-08-2024, 01:50 PM

Personally without any further details I will not be donating and I am sure many other supporters feel the same way.

I suspect many people will take that stance
We will hear more on the 7th but if it's 12m as I understand it to be that's a considerable debt to chip away at. I know we live in an era that gives scant regards to projects that go wildly over budget but I suspect it's going to cost jobs for some people at the club and that doesn't sit well with me.
At some stage debts and overspends become due and this will take a bit of navigation to get on top of.

bornadog
04-08-2024, 02:44 PM

I suspect many people will take that stance .

Why?

If it is because personal finances don't allow it - then that is fine and no problems at all.

If it is some sort of protest, then that is strange.

GVGjr
04-08-2024, 03:58 PM
Why?

If it is because personal finances don't allow it - then that is fine and no problems at all.

The lack of clarity at the moment is why I haven't considered making a donation yet even though there is a 'donate now' link in the email.
I'm assuming many others would be the same and hold back until the details are provided.
Kudos to you and anyone else who's gone in early without all the details.

I actually want to know the extent of the debt (I believe its 12M) and how we got there and what the ramifications are for the club.
I'd also like to how the donations our members contributed are intended to be matched and who is paying that.
What I don't want to hear is that it's solely because of the asbestos that was found on the playing surface because that's only part of the reason.

Stevo
05-08-2024, 10:49 AM

While I have a couple of hundred ready to go I'm like you and I won't be contributing until we get the information.
From the little I understand and based on a conversation at Friday nights game this debt reduction and cost control isn't a last minute thing and was planned much earlier in the year but the club had to wait for a long time until the work was completed so that they could show our members the finished product.

Dogs 24/7
05-08-2024, 11:00 AM
Why?

Ive read the responses a couple of times and it doesnt appear that anyone who is holding back is protesting. It seems a strange conclusion to draw. There will be a lot of members ready to contribute when the details are released.

ledge
05-08-2024, 11:27 AM
At the moment it’s being pushed as a future fund as in keep the club up with the best.

GVGjr
05-08-2024, 01:21 PM
At the moment it’s being pushed as a future fund as in keep the club up with the best.
That's an interesting idea.

SquirrelGrip
05-08-2024, 02:13 PM
Whilst I love the facilities, I don't like the fact that we've built them without having enough money to pay for them.

If it's a future fund to help with whatever the next level will be, I'm open to that, but not to pay for something we didn't budget for correctly.

angelopetraglia
05-08-2024, 02:58 PM
Whilst I love the facilities, I don't like the fact that we've built them without having enough money to pay for them.

If it's a future fund to help with whatever the next level will be, I'm open to that, but not to pay for something we didn't budget for correctly.

To be fair to the club. There is not a single building budget that has come in anywhere near projections through COVID and the supply chain difficulties that followed. Core inflation is +19% alone since COVID after running at 1-2% per annum prior to that. Building material and building labour is running way, way ahead of core inflation. Hence why so many construciton firms have gone into liquidation in the last two years.

It would be good to understand exactly what happened with some greater transparency. Was it project scope creep? Was there some things that come up that were unplanned for (i.e. asbestos)? Or was it just that it cost more to build what we orignally planned for?

1eyedog
06-08-2024, 12:31 PM
Building stuff this quick (and it was very quick) costs big money. It's not just unplanned constraints (asbestos) if you want it done fast it costs money. Time is money.

bornadog
06-08-2024, 12:33 PM
I have contacted Ameet and he agrees they will give a better explanation on the "Giving Day"

Hopefully supporters accept it.

Axe Man
06-08-2024, 05:11 PM
Still a little light on detail...

Giving Day: Bulldogs ask for support to Fight On, Forever in Footscray (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1621120/giving-day-bulldogs-ask-for-support-to-fight-on-forever-in-footscray)

This Wednesday 7 August, the Western Bulldogs are calling on members and fans to help bridge the Mission Whitten Oval redevelopment funding gap.

The new facility was officially reopened last month after a $78m upgrade and, in the words of CEO Ameet Bains, has ?laid the foundations for sustained future success?.

To guarantee the State and Federal Government investments that made the redevelopment project possible, the Club assumed its own funding commitment and is undertaking a giving campaign to help meet this undertaking without acquiring debt.

This will allow the Club to continue to grow and invest in other revenue generating activities to ensure it remains financially sustainable into the future. This in turn allows the Club to continue increasing its investment into football programs as salary caps and soft caps grow year on year.

Donations will be matched and doubled on Wednesday, up to the value of $1 million. All money raised will go towards funding the new facilities at Mission Whitten Oval.

?We are calling on everyone in our community to help us close the funding gap for these transformative facilities,? said Kylie Watson-Wheeler, President of the Club.

?Help us to Fight On. Forever in Footscray. For generations to come.?

To donate, go to charidy.com/wb

Grantysghost
06-08-2024, 05:22 PM
Who is paying for the donation matching?

We aren't going into debt to do this are we?

Happy Days
06-08-2024, 05:30 PM
Who is paying for the donation matching?

We aren't going into debt to do this are we?

I suspect it’s Gordon or Smorgon or both but saying that “we’re in debt but also somehow have $1m to match donations with” is really confusing. Why not just reduce the debt by $1m before even announcing it?

Grantysghost
06-08-2024, 05:35 PM
I suspect it’s Gordon or Smorgon or both but saying that “we’re in debt but also somehow have $1m to match donations with” is really confusing. Why not just reduce the debt by $1m before even announcing it?
That's what I'm wondering!

It's not really an incentive for me to give either.

I'll give either way, I don't want you to cancel out the point of my donation!

Axe Man
06-08-2024, 05:37 PM

Gvg mentioned earlier in the thread that Smorgo had donated $500k so perhaps that is part of the $1 million?

I guess the matching thing elicits some urgency from members that you have to make the donation tomorrow for maximum benefit to the club. Otherwise it may become one of those things well meaning people mean to get around to but ultimately forget to do.

GVGjr
07-08-2024, 10:20 AM
Gvg mentioned earlier in the thread that Smorgo had donated $500k so perhaps that is part of the $1 million?

I guess the matching thing elicits some urgency from members that you have to make the donation tomorrow for maximum benefit to the club. Otherwise it may become one of those things well meaning people mean to get around to but ultimately forget to do.

As far as I understand that donation was done prior to this initiative starting.

I still think the details provided so far now that the Giving Day has officially started are very light on.

Grantysghost
07-08-2024, 10:44 AM
I like this option - the jumper or the seat. I think the seat might upset some of the people who had them in the old stand though.

https://i.postimg.cc/W3YrWBMV/2024-08-07-09-29-57-Western-Bulldogs-Giving-Day-Mozilla-Firefox.png (https://postimages.org/)

Axe Man
07-08-2024, 10:46 AM
As far as I understand that donation was done prior to this initiative starting.

I still think the details provided so far now that the Giving Day has officially started are very light on.

Agreed.

For anyone interested you can also get:

Name on a Commemorative Playing Jumper: For donations between $295 and $995, donors can have their first and surname or family name on a commemorative jumper worn during a designated Western Bulldogs Home game in season 2025. Please note there are additional charges for purchasing a version of the commemorative jumper and further details provided after Giving Day.

**Name on Seat in the Whitten Stand: For any purchase of $995 or more, donors will have the opportunity to have their first and surname or family name on a seat plaque (up to 50 characters) in the new Whitten Stand for a period of 5 years, with coordination occurring after Giving Day.

A bit rough they pull your name off the seat after 5 years.

Grantysghost
07-08-2024, 12:09 PM
Agreed.

For anyone interested you can also get:

A bit rough they pull your name off the seat after 5 years.

Geez the 5 year thing kind of sucks!

I guess they will ask if you want to re-donate and keep it.

I get it from a business sense, however feels kind of shitty.

What's that 200 bucks a year? or does it go up to 400 when the matching dissapears.

hujsh
07-08-2024, 12:22 PM
Looks like they're at 300k. I gave $10

MrMahatma
07-08-2024, 12:49 PM
I think the best way to get $ from people is to remove the reasons not to. They should be really clearly telling us:

1. What's the target?
2. Who/how the $ are being matched?
3. Details like the cost of the commemorative guernsey now, not after giving day
4. If donations are tax deductible? (Perhaps its on the website but should be something they're screaming about)

I mean, we all love the club and I'm sure want to help out, but why make it hard?

angelopetraglia
07-08-2024, 12:52 PM
I think the best way to get $ from people is to remove the reasons not to. They should be really clearly telling us:

1. What's the target?
2. Who/how the $ are being matched?
3. Details like the cost of the commemorative guernsey now, not after giving day
4. If donations are tax deductible? (Perhaps its on the website but should be something they're screaming about)

I mean, we all love the club and I'm sure want to help out, but why make it hard?

Agree. This is like 101 stuff.

Our President works for Disney. She knows the power of storytelling better than most. Tell us the full compelling story in a way that reasoantes with the Members.

Happy Days
07-08-2024, 12:55 PM
Because I’m a stupid idiot mark I still gave them $20. This better not all secretly be going to the IDF.

Axe Man
07-08-2024, 01:03 PM
Looks like they're at 300k. I gave $10

Because I’m a stupid idiot mark I still gave them $20. This better not all secretly be going to the IDF.

You know you guys can lie right, add a few zeros. Nobody can fact check you.

Yeah I gave $10k, no big deal. ;)

Grantysghost
07-08-2024, 01:23 PM
I've donated - I guess there's a sense of trust for me with the current guardians. They've had some things outside of their control.
I think they could have sold it better too.

Eastdog
07-08-2024, 01:29 PM
Just donated as well gave $10.

Currently at $373,524 target $1 Million.

Axe Man
07-08-2024, 01:33 PM
If you get a call from a blocked number it's probably the club hounding, I mean requesting donations.

hujsh
07-08-2024, 01:36 PM
You know you guys can lie right, add a few zeros. Nobody can fact check you.

Yeah I gave $10k, no big deal. ;)

I'm also the person matching the first 500k then. Prove it's not me

bornadog
07-08-2024, 03:13 PM
Looks like this is not an exercise to knock off the total debt, but rather appease the funds received from Gov and the obligations the club has to tip in money. Target seems like $1 million

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/meips/ADKq_NZCcxp8MSFZxAHLkbFJqqYu-NDjAfsWjAdR1ByUq1lTePoWkwAg2EzN_5KELgFnQRE0pR_j1KtlsIJxphjjh QlcADbgnwbZTuf7ku7lPXqmtFft6LYMEXm_285GEVJjSuHaeQfocnqPMkiDe tBDN1V0pm6CuJBTlKygh7EOFs-ZGorFZQ=s0-d-e1-ft#https://image.e.westernbulldogs.com.au/lib/fe3511727364047e771371/m/1/cbab42c1-14f2-4b38-a7dd-63270166c1cf.jpg

Eastdog
07-08-2024, 03:28 PM
Just donated another $50.

Hope it all helps.

Axe Man
07-08-2024, 04:08 PM

Hope it all helps.

Don't be so modest Easty.

https://i.postimg.cc/W4NpCs6m/donate.png (https://postimages.org/)

Prince Imperial
07-08-2024, 05:07 PM

Hope it all helps.

It does Easty. Well done.

Axe Man
07-08-2024, 05:10 PM
Has topped $700k so on track for the $1 million. The jumper and seat take-ups are only in the 20s though. We should have banded together and got WOOF on the jumper or a seat.

Grantysghost
07-08-2024, 05:14 PM
Has topped $700k so on track for the $1 million. The jumper and seat take-ups are only in the 20s though. We should have banded together and got WOOF on the jumper or a seat.

If G organises a syndicate I'll chip in for the jumper.

295 / 20 = 14.75 each.
/10 = 29.50
/5 = 49.00

angelopetraglia
07-08-2024, 05:31 PM
A few people with deep pocks throwing some cash around. So far we have the following donations in at least five figures.

$100K
$60K
$50K
$40K x 2
$30K
$20K x 5
$15K
$10K x 4

That is $475K right there.

Imagine if we were not in a cost of living crisis!

azabob
07-08-2024, 05:56 PM

Jumpers are now in the early 30's. I think that is a really good idea.

bornadog
07-08-2024, 06:01 PM
A few people with deep pocks throwing some cash around. So far we have the following donations in at least five figures.

$100K
$60K
$50K
$40K x 2
$30K
$20K x 5
$15K
$10K x 4

That is $475K right there.

Imagine if we were not in a cost of living crisis!

It is a tax deduction, so I guess many paid out of their business - I know I did

angelopetraglia
07-08-2024, 06:13 PM
It is a tax deduction, so I guess many paid out of their business - I know I did

Tax deduction or not. It is still hard cold cash and even for those on the top tax bracket, it is still costing you half of that.

bornadog
07-08-2024, 08:17 PM
Tax deduction or not. It is still hard cold cash and even for those on the top tax bracket, it is still costing you half of that.

Well lucky we have people that will donate

jazzadogs
07-08-2024, 08:29 PM
If G organises a syndicate I'll chip in for the jumper.

295 / 20 = 14.75 each.
/10 = 29.50
/5 = 49.00

If we buy a seat we get 50 characters...

'reserved for WOOF track watchers' ???

'WOOF - John Setka's home page'

'WOOF WELCOMES ZAK BUTTERS TO THE KENNEL'

Dogs 24/7
07-08-2024, 09:01 PM
I made a decent donation today but I might have dug a bit deeper had I was clear what it's all about. I also got a call from the club and when I explained I had already donated but I would have done more if the details of the challenges were made clear I received a thanks and she moved on to the next call. Clearly the lady was under a bit of pressure to get as many calls completed as she could and probably had to stick to the script that was already on the website. I regard communication as critical when you are asking people to donate money but I fear we missed the boat just a bit.

ledge
07-08-2024, 09:42 PM
We are only 47k off the target.
All is well at the Whitten oval

Grantysghost
07-08-2024, 09:54 PM
I made a decent donation today but I might have dug a bit deeper had I was clear what it's all about. I also got a call from the club and when I explained I had already donated but I would have done more if the details of the challenges were made clear I received a thanks and she moved on to the next call. Clearly the lady was under a bit of pressure to get as many calls completed as she could and probably had to stick to the script that was already on the website. I regard communication as critical when you are asking people to donate money but I fear we missed the boat just a bit.
It's all a bit unmanaged.

I went for the jumper option as I will try and get Marras match worn in an auction (if it's a game worn thing) and will add more that way.

Got an email later on in the day saying put your name on the jumper.

I'm like...um.

I guess it's hard to reconcile who did what.

Go_Dogs
07-08-2024, 10:12 PM
Also did the jumper option.

Hopefully they make them available not just game worn via auction.

Good response from members.

Agree Comms were lacking.

Grantysghost
07-08-2024, 10:33 PM

Yes I would expect them to be available to purchase especially for those who selected that option.

bornadog
07-08-2024, 11:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUYUClaa0AA4c_i?format=png&name=small

Grantysghost
08-08-2024, 12:31 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUYUClaa0AA4c_i?format=png&name=small
We should've set the target to 2 mill! :cool:

jeemak
08-08-2024, 01:58 AM
In other good news chocolate rations have increased to 20 grams a week.

azabob
08-08-2024, 08:47 AM
Yes I would expect them to be available to purchase especially for those who selected that option.

That was the reason I went for the jumper option... surely... Otherwise, I'll buy Marra game day jumper via auction and flip it ;)

ledge
08-08-2024, 10:22 AM
So were we only after 1million or was it more, it’s around 1million 8 thousand now.

bornadog
08-08-2024, 10:42 AM
So were we only after 1million or was it more, it’s around 1million 8 thousand now.

Seems the target was 1 million

Grantysghost
08-08-2024, 10:48 AM
Seems the target was 1 million

It's a bit confusing as it said donations will be matched up to one million.

When I put my donation in, it doubled (so got matched) and the counter reflected that.

So the target should have been 2 million.

Unless that figure was the unmatched, but I dont think it was.

ledge
08-08-2024, 11:05 AM
It's a bit confusing as it said donations will be matched up to one million.

When I put my donation in, it doubled (so got matched) and the counter reflected that.

So the target should have been 2 million.

Unless that figure was the unmatched, but I dont think it was.

Which ever way they did it they got the target I guess . But it is spin doctored if it’s that way , so we actually only raised 500k but in affect 1 million.

comrade
08-08-2024, 11:08 AM
The whole thing has been pretty badly communicated, hasn?t it?

Grantysghost
08-08-2024, 11:22 AM
Which ever way they did it they got the target I guess . But it is spin doctored if it’s that way , so we actually only raised 500k but in affect 1 million.

That's my feel. But I'm not 100 percent sure. My donation definitely doubled when it went into the ticker feed of new donations.

bornadog
08-08-2024, 11:31 AM
That's my feel. But I'm not 100 percent sure. My donation definitely doubled when it went into the ticker feed of new donations.

Yes mine doubled too, so I guess members raised just over $500,000 in just over 12 hours or so. - still pretty good.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2024, 11:50 AM
Hawthorn's jumper with the names of people who contributed to building their new facility.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUa0Dh3a8AApW3h?format=jpg&name=large

jazzadogs
08-08-2024, 01:40 PM
Hawthorn's jumper with the names of people who contributed to building their new facility.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUa0Dh3a8AApW3h?format=jpg&name=large

Geelong did one, and it included the name of every Victorian taxpayer.

jazzadogs
08-08-2024, 01:41 PM

(Yes I know we also received substantial government funding for Whitten Oval)

Happy Days
08-08-2024, 01:42 PM

Only came in an Extra Medium as well.

bornadog
08-08-2024, 03:55 PM
https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/meips/ADKq_NZlEiPx8T4NDZPP9jueGU__tcQEvqMPhyPAwWUdvfMCVRcWJ_xVTFnI tj3Uu1bQiT4QH1feUHc_zKPBG0-D32612_3iWhUQwQEjT267BmjLQzLCsoSfJ6l3xWf4P8NOx5zqG-6_64HRDj3VCXiTXZqXBx8djUtxkg3g-fT14u9rAgjdWw=s0-d-e1-ft#https://image.e.westernbulldogs.com.au/lib/fe3511727364047e771371/m/1/cd9eb3db-2b5d-4940-a7c0-e0c3cba772ab.jpg

Eastdog
08-08-2024, 09:39 PM

Decided to contribute some more and went for the jumper option as well.

Good response from the Bulldog community.

Agree also that the communication could have been better.

bornadog
15-08-2024, 12:32 PM
Gott an email from the club today saying my original "Buy a Seat" in the old stand, will be reinstated in the new stand. Also received a second email, saying my latest donation on giving day will also give me a name in the new stand? May end up with two.

azabob
15-08-2024, 12:55 PM
Gott an email from the club today saying my original "Buy a Seat" in the old stand, will be reinstated in the new stand. Also received a second email, saying my latest donation on giving day will also give me a name in the new stand? May end up with two.

That is pretty cool. I am glad the club is recognising the contributions of the past.