PDA

View Full Version : 5-games to go...Do we make it or NOT??

mjp
25-07-2024, 06:51 PM
It looks like this:

Swans: 56-points, 142%
Blues: 48-points, 114%
Lions: 46-points, 119%
Dockers: 46-points, 116%

Giants: 44-points, 112%
Cats: 44-points, 107%
Power: 44-points, 106%
Bombers: 42-points, 99%

======

Bulldogs: 40-points, 118%
Demons: 40-points, 101%
Hawks: 40-points, 100%
Suns: 36-points, 103%
Pies: 36-points, 98%
Despite Adelaide claiming they aren't mathematically out...they are out.

We play:
Sydney (away - Sunday)
Melbourne (home - Friday...so 5-day break)
Adelaide (away - Sunday)
North (home - Sunday)
Giants (home#2 aka Ballarat - I assume it will be Sunday).

You would think we would need 13-wins to make it.

When the final ball siren is rung to signal the end of the H&A season, are we IN or are we OUT???

Happy Days
25-07-2024, 06:52 PM
Who cares what I think what do you think?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-07-2024, 07:03 PM
Right now, I'm Bevo's ride or die bitch.

We've clearly got to pull something magic out of the hat just to play finals, let alone go further along.
We need to win 4 to avoid results having to go our way in the last round again I reckon.

If we win this weekend I am strapping in for the ride home. I'm Raoul Duke to Bevo's Dr Gonzo...No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them himself soon enough.

The Doctor
25-07-2024, 07:04 PM
They are all winnable

The Pie Man
25-07-2024, 07:27 PM
Win on Sunday and anywhere from 4-6 could be on.

Am worried about the 5 day break for the Dees game, especially if we do drop this Sunday.

We should make it

bornadog
25-07-2024, 08:39 PM
We are in - finishing 4th :)

mjp
25-07-2024, 11:02 PM
Who cares what I think what do you think?

I think we lose to Melbourne and Adelaide.

5-day break into bogey side into Adelaide Oval? Not seeing it.

Can’t get my head around this weekend. I need to see Jones and Lobb play together (I’ve crapped on enough about that) before I can work out what might happen...my fear is we end up playing 3x intercept defenders in one team, no one plays on anyone and Sydney kick 18 goals. There’s a world where they are impenetrable and they can only kick 6...

comrade
25-07-2024, 11:08 PM
I think we lose to Melbourne and Adelaide.

5-day break into bogey side into Adelaide Oval? Not seeing it.

Can?t get my head around this weekend. I need to see Jones and Lobb play together (I?ve crapped on enough about that) before I can work out what might happen...my fear is we end up playing 3x intercept defenders in one team, no one plays on anyone and Sydney kick 18 goals. There?s a world where they are impenetrable and they can only kick 6...

If Sydney kicks 18 goals, our midfield have been absolutely obliterated.

It's disappointing we didn't get Melbourne while Gawn was out, but they are going like busted arses right now. Bogey side or not, we should win. Adelaide, I'm nervous.

jazzadogs
25-07-2024, 11:45 PM
We need the Crows to lose against Hawks in Adelaide and Cats in Geelong before we play them, so that they are fully mathematically out...but also we don't really want the Hawks or Cats winning games. Rooting is difficult in late July.

Our last 7 weeks have really been indicative of our whole season.
Great win against Pies!
Horrible loss to Lions :(
Huge win over Freo, solid win over North!
Horrible loss to Port :(
Huge wins over Carlton and Geelong!

It feels inevitable that there's another horrible loss to come in the final five weeks - it's just whether we can limit it to one!

I vote we make it. Either us or the Hawks are taking Essendon's spot.

Rocket Science
26-07-2024, 12:34 AM
Still leery that the punchline to convincing showings versus the Blues & Cats might be less than convincing efforts versus the Crows or North. We know we're eminently capable. But can we maintain the rage ...

Gut feeling everything rides on that final tilt against the Giants.

What could possibly go wrong?

lemmon
26-07-2024, 12:26 PM
Looks like I'm the only 'we don't get there' vote so far!

That performance against Port just stands out for me - we have the capacity to not turn up seemingly out of nowhere and I can't see us winning all those 50/50 games. I think the Giants get us in Ballarat. They're a good side who rise to the occasion and challenge us with the way they move the ball.

Even if we don't get there, I don't think it's necessarily a failed year. We've seen evolution in game style, growth in young players, we've had a tough run with injury and it feels like it's on the verge of 'clicking'.

Last year felt like a breakdown of our usual game style. This year feels like we're trying to evolve and there's been progress towards it.

Mantis
26-07-2024, 12:34 PM
Looks like I'm the only 'we don't get there' vote so far!

That performance against Port just stands out for me - we have the capacity to not turn up on our day and I can't see us winning all those 50/50 games. I think the Giants get us in Ballarat. They're a good side and seem to rise to the occasion.

Even if we don't get there, I don't think it's necessarily a failure of a year. We've seen evolution in game style, growth in young players, we've had a tough run with injury and it feels like it's on the verge of 'clicking'.

Given the massive let-down in performance in that game I'm taking that one as an outlier.

We had a long run into the bye, and I feel we relaxed a little too much over the break. We barely got out of 1st gear against North and then given Port played like busted arses against St.Kilda I think we just expected to turn up and we would roll over them, but they punched us right between the eyes from the start and we were never in the contest.

It was the wake up call we needed and the intensity and effort in the past 2 games has been back to the level expected.

It would be a huge surprise if we don't win at least 3 more games which will be enough to make finals.

mjp
26-07-2024, 12:42 PM
It would be a huge surprise if we don't win at least 3 more games which will be enough to make finals.

SHOULD!!

I am not convinced we win 3.

I am no doubt wrong (I was last week - it rained and we still won!!) but I think we lose to Melbourne and Adelaide and GWS is 50:50.

Why do you think failing to win 3 would be a huge surprise? How are you calling it??

Mantis
26-07-2024, 12:52 PM
SHOULD!!

I am not convinced we win 3.

I am no doubt wrong (I was last week - it rained and we still won!!) but I think we lose to Melbourne and Adelaide and GWS is 50:50.

Why do you think failing to win 3 would be a huge surprise? How are you calling it??

I think we're a big chance of beating Sydney... but we need to bring the heat.

We will beat North.

We will win both the Melbourne and GWS games and should beat Adelaide... they're all tricky games, but basis we play at or near our best, which we have for the past 2 games with clearly defined roles for our ''fringe'' players, and our best players perform at an adequate level then we are simply too good for these teams.

Whilst it's been a challenge at times I haven't waivered from the fact that our best is just about better than everyone elses.. we just weren't showing it enough.

mjp
26-07-2024, 02:06 PM
I think we're a big chance of beating Sydney... but we need to bring the heat.

We will beat North.

We will win both the Melbourne and GWS games and should beat Adelaide... they're all tricky games, but basis we play at or near our best, which we have for the past 2 games with clearly defined roles for our ''fringe'' players, and our best players perform at an adequate level then we are simply too good for these teams.

Whilst it's been a challenge at times I haven't waivered from the fact that our best is just about better than everyone elses.. we just weren't showing it enough.

OK - cool.

No concerns about the Lobb-Jones pairing? Why am I on an island with that? I don't understand how everyone is so certain it's going to be a slam-dunk??

Grantysghost
26-07-2024, 02:28 PM
OK - cool.

No concerns about the Lobb-Jones pairing? Why am I on an island with that? I don't understand how everyone is so certain it's going to be a slam-dunk??
I don't know who's going to be the main interceptor.
They'll be spoiling each other.

Be interesting to see how Lobb goes when he has to think a bit.

Anyway Bevo is playing Jones forward this week haven't you heard!?

Grantysghost
26-07-2024, 02:32 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Kjn2gr4Q/Screenshot-20240726-132215-2.png (https://postimg.cc/645SkZrG)

hujsh
26-07-2024, 03:16 PM
OK - cool.

Tom Boyd is there with you

hujsh
26-07-2024, 03:18 PM
I went no. Just my gut I think we lose to Sydney, the 5 day break gets us vs Melbourne and we put in one more shocker for the year. We can make it but I dunno it just feels like there's still something abit off about the year

MrMahatma
26-07-2024, 03:33 PM
My heart says we win them all, but my head says we probably beat Swans, lose to Dees (and they somehow take a spot in the 8), scrape home against Nth by 1 point, lose to Adel, lose to GWS who secure a top 4 spot.

This just feels all too familiar.

bornadog
26-07-2024, 03:35 PM
My heart says we win them all, but my head says we probably beat Swans, lose to Dees (and they somehow take a spot in the 8), scrape home against Nth by 1 point, lose to Adel, lose to GWS who secure a top 4 spot.

This just feels all too familiar.

I am more confident to beat Dees than Crows

Mantis
26-07-2024, 04:07 PM
OK - cool.

I've got my concerns at all.

In fact, it's going to be great... Jones has had to battle his ass off over the past few years trying to cover ''everyone'', but with another highly competent tall defender in the team his job just got easier.

Jones now has the luxury of playing deep, with Lobb being our high defender.

It's going to be amazing!

Axe Man
26-07-2024, 04:42 PM
I know we have sucked against Melbourne in recent times but that has mostly been at the MCG (and some other game somewhere else that doesn't count). At Marvel it's a different story. Hopefully we have a selection plan to introduce a few fresh legs next week to mitigate the 5 day break. Hopefully they have a tough slog against GWS tomorrow night as well.

GVGjr
26-07-2024, 05:05 PM
OK - cool.

I agree that the pairing is no sure thing and adding Barrass just about fixes any problem we might have.
The concern for me is the motivation for Barrass appears to be mainly financial and that's not always a great mix for us. Barrass has had some minor issues with his back hasn't he, perhaps less travel helps fix that challenge but it's just a bit of a concern.
I'll be happy enough if we get him but at the moment I'd prefer that we don't lose Smith for Barrass.
This speculation isn't going away for a while yet and I might come around :)

mjp
26-07-2024, 05:25 PM
Tom Boyd is there with you

Yeah - I heard that on the podcast and felt momentarily justified. Then I remembered that Tom constantly mentions how he doesn't watch the games so...

Uninformed
26-07-2024, 07:22 PM
In a canter.

DOG GOD
26-07-2024, 07:54 PM
My feeling…we don’t make it.
Syd- 4 goal loss
Melb- 1 goal loss
Adel - 1 goal loss
North- 3 goal win
GWS- 2 goal loss.

Previously in the run home we have lost to teams out of the race, so I’m not confident with any game. I think some close losses will stamp our papers.

For mine, it comes down to the Syd and Melb games. Win them, and our confidence should get us to the finals, but I just don’t see it.

jazzadogs
26-07-2024, 08:28 PM
It's pretty sad how this team has destroyed the fan's confidence to the point that we've beaten 2nd and 4th in the past fortnight and there are still so many who think we're frauds.

comrade
26-07-2024, 09:49 PM
Yeah - I heard that on the podcast and felt momentarily justified. Then I remembered that Tom constantly mentions how he doesn't watch the games so...

What did Boyd say?

FrediKanoute
26-07-2024, 09:56 PM
I know we have sucked against Melbourne in recent times but that has mostly been at the MCG (and some other game somewhere else that doesn't count). At Marvel it's a different story. Hopefully we have a selection plan to introduce a few fresh legs next week to mitigate the 5 day break. Hopefully they have a tough slog against GWS tomorrow night as well.

Suspect the decision to mange a few players this week is with that in mind.

kruder
27-07-2024, 01:43 PM
I think its different this time, we have been crying out to beat legitimate sides since 21 and finally the last 2 weeks( plus wins against Collingwood Fremantle Giants) have lifted the horizon for the playing group.

The move of Richards and Lobb cant be underestimated and like others cant wait for Jones to play a lock down role against the swans. Love the fact we are resting role players this week and have the ability to bring in form players from the VFL.

Bevo and the coaches just seem to be getting the balance right and the last two weeks haven't been off the back of Bont's brilliance. I think if we beat Sydney we will not only play finals we could make a prelim a lot rides on this week but this group are reminding me of the Giants last year.

We have also generally finished games off well, I'm as bullish now as anytime in the Bevo area with where we are headed. If not this year then next we will play in another prelim and who knows from there.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-07-2024, 03:52 PM
I can?t see us loosing any of these games. We are the best inform side with seasoned players.
Bring on September we are ready

bulldogtragic
28-07-2024, 07:13 PM
Well take it with a grain of salt, live ladders has us finishing 4th and going back to Sydney in a bit over a month.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Just did some ladder predictors and reviewed the games to go. My take, it looks pretty simple:

3 wins = probably top 4 for the first time in Bevo era - away prelim final
2 wins = probably finish 6th - home elim final
1 win = miss finals

(A) Adelaide in Adelaide
(H) North at Marvel
(H) GWS at Ballarat

comrade
04-08-2024, 10:40 AM
Just have to maintain the rage. None of the upcoming games are gimmes but none of them are games we should be losing.

It feels like the penny has dropped with this group in terms of work rate and role playing, and with blokes getting 30-40 touches in the VFL and still probably struggling to crack the team, no one should be easing off the throttle.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 10:44 AM
Just have to maintain the rage. None of the upcoming games are gimmes but none of them are games we should be losing.

It feels like the penny has dropped with this group in terms of work rate and role playing, and with blokes getting 30-40 touches in the VFL and still probably struggling to crack the team, no one should be easing off the throttle.

Yep. A loss this week would heap the pressure on. A win would be so close to grabbing a top 4 spot, surely a huge motivator.

macca
04-08-2024, 12:04 PM
I think its different this time, we have been crying out to beat legitimate sides since 21 and finally the last 2 weeks( plus wins against Collingwood Fremantle Giants) have lifted the horizon for the playing group.

The move of Richards and Lobb cant be underestimated and like others cant wait for Jones to play a lock down role against the swans. Love the fact we are resting role players this week and have the ability to bring in form players from the VFL.

Bevo and the coaches just seem to be getting the balance right and the last two weeks haven't been off the back of Bont's brilliance. I think if we beat Sydney we will not only play finals we could make a prelim a lot rides on this week but this group are reminding me of the Giants last year.

We have also generally finished games off well, I'm as bullish now as anytime in the Bevo area with where we are headed. If not this year then next we will play in another prelim and who knows from there.

Its interesting the positional changes of Lobb and Richards. The great thing is, they are in positions which are to their strengths.
Lobb is a good mark. The fact he has experience as a forward, he knows what is a GOOD delivery to forward line. As a defender he has this wealth of experience and can read the play early. Added his size and strength he is such a great fit for the role.

Richard is just a natural footballer. He has fantastic balance, being able to keep his feet and always seems to be able to get the power thud into his kick as he is in such good position to kick it. Top person to have on the outside from a clearance to take ball away. Added now he is a goal kicking mid, he is soo dangerous.

westdog54
04-08-2024, 01:32 PM
Yep. A loss this week would heap the pressure on. A win would be so close to grabbing a top 4 spot, surely a huge motivator.

We absolutely must put Adelaide and North to the sword in the next two weeks. Demolition jobs.

That way, teams behind us can cause all the upsets they want, and we only need worry about who is in front of us.

Freo and Brisbane's draws will cause havoc in the final calculations. Changing one win/loss on tight games in the ladder predictor results in massive changes.

Happy Days
04-08-2024, 01:36 PM
Adelaide aren’t *that* terrible. They’ve underperformed for sure but their forward mix is still pretty dangerous, plus they’re getting their best guy back just in time to play us. I’ll be happy enough just to win before we even consider by how much.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-08-2024, 03:12 PM
Lobb is an athlete giant who loves his new position and his ability to play it. He has value added to our weakness. Jigsaw complete.
Our last picked six also value add to past teams. Our twos are top two.
I am bullish and think we probably won't lose another game.

It is up to other games to determine where we finish.
We are synergising and will be rooting hard and often.
The locomotive of 2016 is alive with plenty of fuel in its cast iron fire chamber.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 06:57 PM
Dogs win the next 3
Freo lose one more
Port &/or Cats lose one game for the rest of the year
(GWS lose to us as we win all three in this scenario)

Dogs finish top 3 or 4.

Bulldog Joe
04-08-2024, 07:05 PM
Dogs win the next 3
Port & Cats lose one game for the rest of the year

Dogs finish top 4.

Freo play Geelong next week
We must win to get above the loser. Hopefully that is Geelong as their other 2 are Saints and Eagles.

Big chance for Freo to lose the following week against GWS.
Freo also get Port in the last round.
Win their home games and they open up top 4 for us.

GWS have the toughest run Brisbane Freo and us with Freo having Feeling, GWS and Port but 2 at home helps them.

angelopetraglia
04-08-2024, 07:06 PM
I have also done a ladder predictor where Dogs win the next two. Lose to GWS in the last and miss the finals on 14 wns.

That is if Bombers win last three against:

Suns (Marvel)
Swans (SCG)
Lions (GABBA)

Blues also win last three:

Hawks (MCG)
Eagles (Optus)
Saints (Marvel)

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 07:07 PM
I have also done a ladder predictor where Dogs win the next two. Lose to GWS in the last and miss the finals on 14 wns.

Suns (Marvel)
Swans (SCG)
Lions (GABBA)

Hawks (MCG)
Eagles (Optus)
Saints (Marvel)

Not paying Sons Sydney & Brisbane away.

angelopetraglia
04-08-2024, 07:07 PM

Suns (Marvel)
Swans (SCG)
Lions (GABBA)

Hawks (MCG)
Eagles (Optus)
Saints (Marvel)

In this same ladder predictor.

If Dogs win the last game they will finish THIRD, if the lost they will finish NINTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

angelopetraglia
04-08-2024, 07:08 PM
Not paying Sons Sydney & Brisbane away.

Apologies. Swans at Marvel.

angelopetraglia
04-08-2024, 07:10 PM
If Dogs drop one of North or Crows but beat GWS they will make it with 14 wins even if the other results all go against us.

azabob
04-08-2024, 07:10 PM
Squiggle ladder predictor has Dogs 3rd.

Live ladders has us finishing 5th.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 07:11 PM
Apologies. Swans at Marvel.

Even still.

But we just need to keep on winning. Just hope that there’s a one or two good results and slide into the top 4. For just one of those wins in the early part of the year.

angelopetraglia
04-08-2024, 07:11 PM
Even still.

But we just need to keep on winning. Just hope that there’s a one or two good results and slide into the top 4. For just one of those wins in the early part of the year.

If we win the last three. We will finish top four. I have done a number of combinations. This due to GWS v Freo and Freo V Cats.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 07:14 PM
Squiggle ladder predictor has Dogs 3rd.

Live ladders has us finishing 5th.

I think that?s about right. Squiggle giving us three wins. If we get the three wins, assuming Freo drop one, then we just need Geelong or Port to drop one. That gets us to 4th and probably going to Sydney. I?d be content to take that match up.

Three wins, two bottom four teams, two home games. It?s in our power.

bornadog
04-08-2024, 07:16 PM
I think that?s about right. Squiggle giving us three wins. If we get the three wins, assuming Freo drop one, then we just need Geelong or Port to drop one. That gets us to 4th and probably going to Sydney. I?d be content to take that match up.

Three wins, two bottom four teams, two home games. It?s in our power.

If Sydney lose the next two, they will drop to 4th and we go in 3rd (if we win 3)

Lots of scenarios but I can't see us with a home final

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 07:19 PM
If Sydney lose the next two, they will drop to 4th and we go in 3rd (if we win 3)

Lots of scenarios but I can't see us with a home final

I like that one.

Sydney drop 2
Freo drop 1
Cats drop 1
Port drop 1
GWS drop one to us as we win all 3

Dogs finish second - home QF!

bornadog
04-08-2024, 07:22 PM
I like that one.

Sydney drop 2
Freo drop 1
Cats drop 1
Port drop 1
GWS drop one to us as we win all 3

Dogs finish second - home QF!

All a possibility. Dockers play GWS, so one will lose

bulldogtragic
04-08-2024, 07:28 PM
All a possibility. Dockers play GWS, so one will lose

I think it’s most likely ones being:

Sydney drop 2 of 3
Freo beat Port (port probably win the other ones)
Freo beat Cats (cats ditto)
GWS beat Freo
Dogs beat Crows, Roos & Plastics

Critter
05-08-2024, 02:09 PM
If we win the last three. We will finish top four. I have done a number of combinations. This due to GWS v Freo and Freo V Cats.

I think there might be just one exception. Should Geelong win their last three - which means they defeat Freo in R22 - and should Freo lose to PA in round 24, we end up finishing fifth. In this scenario the top 4, in no particular order, would be Sydney, Geelong PA & Brisbane.

Otherwise, we finish top 4 if we win all 3 games.

CarnTheScray
05-08-2024, 02:17 PM
I'm glad Hawks lost. Not because I fear them, I don't, but they are out of our control. We play the Giants again so their ladder position is something we can actually control and influence. The ladder is fluctuating to much to make a final guess on who finishes where. All we have to do is win these three games.

bulldogtragic
11-08-2024, 07:44 PM
Hawks & Carlton odds on to win their last two.

We have North & a red hot GWS.

Lose to GWS. And that’s us missing finals in the last round.

G-Mo77
11-08-2024, 07:51 PM
Hawks & Carlton odds on to win their last two.

We have North & a red hot GWS.

Lose to GWS. And that’s us missing finals in the last round.

I was looking at the fixtures half way through the 1st and was thinking that we're in trouble. We just have to win them both, it really shouldn't have come to this but here we are. The deplorable opening of the season shouldn't be so easily forgotten about.

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2024, 08:29 PM
Despite the disappointment of today the equation remains the same.
Win our next 6 for the flag.

Grantysghost
11-08-2024, 08:33 PM
Despite the disappointment of today the equation remains the same.
Win our next 6 for the flag.
It's been done once in footy history this isn't the percentage play we should be aiming for.

Bulldog Joe
11-08-2024, 08:34 PM
It's been done once in footy history this isn't the percentage play we should be aiming for.

It is our only play so just do it

chef
11-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Stick a fork in us. I think we're done.

mighty_west
11-08-2024, 08:59 PM

Nah hold on chef, all teams have done this all season, we were Prem favorites with Brissy this week and we both lost, GWS were great then shot for quite a while now great again, Carlton were ready to line up for finals tix not long ago now they're hanging by a thread, Brissy were crap then we played them into form, Freo....and it continues, we'll come back.

jeemak
11-08-2024, 09:17 PM
Nah hold on chef, all teams have done this all season, we were Prem favorites with Brissy this week and we both lost, GWS were great then shot for quite a while now great again, Carlton were ready to line up for finals tix not long ago now they're hanging by a thread, Brissy were crap then we played them into form, Freo....and it continues, we'll come back.

You're absolutely right. Carlton twice at different times this year have been talked up as being like their 1995 iteration after different spurts of form.

The Swans were unbeatable at one point and then got brittle with a few key injuries, something that didn't affect us when we had ours.

It's all up in the air.

Grantysghost
11-08-2024, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking the same. Gws is an L now.

North is a win but that form going into finals is only going to end one way.

Shame, Bevo had done his manufacture a run on and sprinkled his fairy dust but as with fairy tales they rarely come to fruition.

jazzadogs
11-08-2024, 09:26 PM
I'm thinking the same. Gws is an L now.

North is a win but that form going into finals is only going to end one way.

Shame, Bevo had done his manufacture a run on and sprinkled his fairy dust but as with fairy tales they rarely come to fruition.

Out of interest, how many of Blues, Cats, Swans, Dees did you have us marked down to win?

Things change. It's a fluid season. Buckle up and embrace the ride.

Grantysghost
11-08-2024, 09:42 PM
Out of interest, how many of Blues, Cats, Swans, Dees did you have us marked down to win?

Things change. It's a fluid season. Buckle up and embrace the ride.
Buckle up buckaroos!

You're right.

mighty_west
11-08-2024, 10:12 PM
You're absolutely right. Carlton twice at different times this year have been talked up as being like their 1995 iteration after different spurts of form.

The Swans were unbeatable at one point and then got brittle with a few key injuries, something that didn't affect us when we had ours.

It's all up in the air.

It's probably the most up and down season ever!!!

1. Sydney were unstoppable then hit a bad patch for 5 or 6 weeks
2. Port, Kenny was being sacked not long ago
3. GWS, Prem faves to losing the plot, now finding that plot again
4. Geel, probably one of the more consistent sides
5. Bris, GF hangover until we played them back into form, now another downer?
6. Freo, up and down and up and down and up and...........
7. Dogs, Bevo was being sacked until 2 months ago then Prem faves now today's horror show
8. Hawks, WTF? they were a rabble at the start of the season

9. Carl, were purchasing GF tix not long ago
10. Ess, thrashed us then were headed for top 4
11. Pies, Prem hangover then came good, then lost the plot
12. Dee's, up and about earlier in the season and lost the plot when Trac went down

lemmon
12-08-2024, 08:57 AM
Freo will probably also have to win one of GWS away or Port at home

Flamethrower
12-08-2024, 06:52 PM
The Bulldogs have a real issue maintaining the rage for more than 4 weeks.

In 2016, we lost to Freo then won 4 in a row.
2021, lost our last 3 H&A, then won 3 3/4 in a row (last 1/4 was a disaster though -I blame the lab in Wuhan.
2024, again ripped off 4 straight where we looked like world beaters, then stumble.

Was thinking today it would not surprise me at all if we win a close one over the Roos, drop a close one to the Waste of Space, and sneak into 8th when Freo melt down at home against the Power after losing in Western Sydney this week to finish 9th.

From there we go bang, bang, bang, bang - Bullgods the sequel.

bornadog
12-08-2024, 10:00 PM
Freo will probably also have to win one of GWS away or Port at home

If GWS lose the next two they could miss finals depending on percentage

AshMac
14-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Red hot chance it comes down to the game against GWS

Go_Dogs
14-08-2024, 09:33 AM
Red hot chance it comes down to the game against GWS

Terrifying but also awesome.

Axe Man
14-08-2024, 10:11 AM
If Carlton lose to West Coast this week (which is a real chance) we won't have to worry about the last game v the Orange Team, other than for ladder position. Provided we beat North of course.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2024, 10:16 AM
If Carlton lose to West Coast this week (which is a real chance) we won't have to worry about the last game v the Orange Team, other than for ladder position. Provided we beat North of course.

WCE last year says I’ll just pray for a win over North.

Axe Man
14-08-2024, 10:19 AM
WCE last year says I’ll just pray for a win over North.

I'm hearing ya, but a bit of rooting on the side can't hurt.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2024, 10:22 AM
I'm hearing ya, but a bit of rooting on the side can't hurt.

Dunno. John Wayne Bobbitt springs to mind. With Tim out I’m actually worried about this one. Might end up like JWB.

bornadog
14-08-2024, 05:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GU6i6BUX0AAUX5O?format=jpg&name=medium

Happy Days
14-08-2024, 05:51 PM
Did they not watch the games this week or something? GWS have won 6 in a row, just beat the “best” team in the AFL away, and are literally 3rd on the ladder, how are we above them?

azabob
14-08-2024, 06:14 PM
Did they not watch the games this week or something? GWS have won 6 in a row, just beat the “best” team in the AFL away, and are literally 3rd on the ladder, how are we above them?

Power rankings don't take into account "watching" it is all purely numbers and stats compared to previous years. Well that is at least my understanding.

bornadog
14-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Power rankings don't take into account "watching" it is all purely numbers and stats compared to previous years. Well that is at least my understanding.

From Foxfooty

What are the Power Rankings?

This is our attempt to rank every AFL club from best to worst. We take wins and losses into account, but also the quality of opposition faced and whether teams are likely to get healthier and/or improve going forward. It’s a little bit ‘who’s hot and who’s not’; part predictive, part analysis of what’s happened. If Team A is above Team B, we’d probably tip A to win if they were playing at a neutral venue this weekend.

bornadog
14-08-2024, 06:21 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS (12-9, 118.5%) (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-power-rankings-after-round-22-analysis-every-club-ranked-flag-favourites-who-will-make-the-finals-latest-news/news-story/f61f6cdf87070110b873435e17f16656)

Last week: Ranked 2nd, lost to Adelaide by 39 pts

This week: North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, Sunday 1:10pm

We are holding our faith in this top two, because they’ve been the best two teams over the second half of the season (though Hawthorn has a case). The Bulldogs had the strongest argument to drop out - their loss was clearly worse, even though they were playing away (and we kinda like the look of Adelaide at the moment). On expected score the Lions actually should’ve won by SEVEN goals, because the discrepancy between their inaccuracy and the Giants’ accuracy was that stark.

The Dogs were also better than the margin suggested though they were never as close as the 98-96 expected scoreline claims, and after a really good eight weeks, we can excuse one more Adelaide Oval slip-up. They just need to hope they don’t face Port away in the finals... and that they make the eight at all, since there’s a real risk the Dogs would miss out if they lose to GWS in Round 24. (They’re not losing to North. Surely.)

Brisbane’s path also got harder with the loss because they need someone above them to slip up if they’re going to make the top four. If they can earn the double chance, we still have the Lions as flag favourites, because we would probably tip them in an away qualifying final against the likes of Geelong or even Sydney. Though the Pies did look a bit more frisky last Friday night, and this trip to the MCG won’t be easy.

azabob
14-08-2024, 06:36 PM
From Foxfooty

What are the Power Rankings?

This is our attempt to rank every AFL club from best to worst. We take wins and losses into account, but also the quality of opposition faced and whether teams are likely to get healthier and/or improve going forward. It’s a little bit ‘who’s hot and who’s not’; part predictive, part analysis of what’s happened. If Team A is above Team B, we’d probably tip A to win if they were playing at a neutral venue this weekend.

So yeah, what Happy Days said.

Happy Days
14-08-2024, 06:37 PM
I know what power rankings are lol I’m just saying these ones are stupid and bad.

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:25 PM
Single digit margin games in 2024.

Dogs TWO. Zero wins. Two losses.

GWS FIVE. Four wins. One loss.

Port SIX. Five wins. One loss.

Small margins really matter at the end of the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2024, 08:33 PM
It would be a bitter pill to swallow if we miss out. Arguably we'd be the best side to never make finals...

But it's a weird year. Freo have spent weeks in the top 4 haven't they? Meanwhile Carlton were largely top 2 all year. For any of these 3 teams to miss is a surprise.

I'm a little surprised with Port. I still don't rate them.

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:36 PM
Last year. 12 wins and a draw made finals. (23 game season)

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:37 PM
In 2022 Dogs made finals with 12 wins and a % of 108.9 (22 game season).

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:37 PM
In 2021 Bombers with 11 wins and % of 109.1 made finals (22 game season)

angelopetraglia
18-08-2024, 08:40 PM
In 2018 you needed 13 wins in a 22 game season to make the finals.

In that year. Four teams missed the finals with 12 wins. North. Port. Bombers. Crows.